PDA

View Full Version : They just WONT LET IT GO

JDante
03-03-2006, 04:17 AM
Why does the media consistently say that the Vikings are shopping Culpepper! Okay every single day they posted updates on espn.com on Culpeppers status and it was getting a little anoying. But thats reasonable i can see that trying to get a story and i understand that its there job to inform the people and all that. But it got anoyiner (is that a word?) as the month went on ESPECIALLY since every single update was quoting Zygi Wilf and Daunte Culpepper AND Brad CHildress all saying that they werent shopping him. So okay so time passes and like two weeks later its final hes GONNA get the $6mil bonus in March and they are done talking about it. Hes staying and thats that.

AND NOW, up on nfl.com they talkin about how Pep is tryna get healthy real quick and show off just so he can attract suitors and raise his trade value. But they already confirmed him recieving his contract bonus right?!?!?! Did they run outta stories and decided to bring this one up just because of the CBA deals goin on or what?

Asked if he could definitively say Culpepper was going to be on the Vikings roster in 2006, Wilf told the Star Tribune: "That is our plan, yes. Always was." That quote has been used seen repeatedly over and over again in all articles regarding Daunte but the writers tend to just brush past that and make it seem like some trade is in the works.

"Daunte Culpepper right now is the franchise quarterback," Childress said Friday in the Vikings' Winter Park locker room. "That's how they signed him. He's the guy. We'll just leave it at that." Another quote from within the VIkings triangle of authority saying that Culpepper wont be traded.

"I want to update the fans of Minnesota and the NFL community on my status with the Vikings. Mr. Wilf and I spoke by phone on 2/21/2006, and we each shared our concerns about my present situation," Culpepper wrote. "He told me that the Vikings have not yet spoken to other teams about trading me. I shared my disappointment with the lack of communication and the false reports about me demanding more money coming out of Minnesota. I have requested further talks so that we can explore options for the future." Now does that sound like a guy who is about to be traded?

All im saying is that the these writers continually act as if this whole "Daunte Culpepper trade" thing is a reality, when in fact it is just a story fabricated by the media because they didnt have nothin to do. Why wont they just LET IT GO?

happy camper
03-03-2006, 04:21 AM
haha

it may be a little blown out of proportion, but it is a reality. deal with it.

if it was completly falsified by the media, the vikes would have come out and denied it.

did you hear what childress said "never say never."

im not saying it will happen for sure, but the sooner you square with the fact that it could happen- the better off you'll be.

:)

JDante
03-03-2006, 04:23 AM
...trade Culpepper to the raiders or somethin and next year hes at the top of his game and throws for 4500 yards 20 somethin touchdowns again and leaves us just sittin here feelin stupid. Him and Moss laugh all the way to the record books while the Vikings struggle to make playoffs.

(Of course i dont think that Vikes would struggle next year but i just had to say that for an added effect.)

(i dont think well trade him to tha raiders neither but again, the added effect puts it all into context)

happy camper
03-03-2006, 04:24 AM
Moss sure laughed all the way to the record books in '05.

Ltrey33
03-03-2006, 04:28 AM
I would cry...but it's the Vikings. We've learned to live with pain like that, so I'd just say "keep on keepin on! Eventually we'll get there!"

6-KINGS
03-03-2006, 04:30 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if he went to Raiders and he and Moss broke all the rercords and still never went nowhere in the Playoffs............

No wait that was in Minnesota.............
And that was not funny.

Prophet
03-03-2006, 04:45 AM
Wouldn't it really be funny if 25 more people signed up at the site tonight and they all started new Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper threads that were exactly the same as about 150 other threads?

PurplePeopleEaters89
03-03-2006, 04:48 AM
I don't think i would mind!!! Hey i had to watch the Draft where the Vikings got passed by 2 or 3 teams because they couldn't come to a decision!!! NOW that would be bad if that happened this year!!! I think i would cry!!!

Guruzen
03-03-2006, 04:51 AM
I think it would be quite funny if we dumped Culpepper and Brad got injured in week 1. Who's Brad's backup? Hill? hahahaha

LuckyVike
03-03-2006, 04:58 AM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

Wouldn't it be funny if he went to Raiders and he and Moss broke all the rercords and still never went nowhere in the Playoffs............

No wait that was in Minnesota.............
And that was not funny.

Owned! :cool:

ultravikingfan
03-03-2006, 05:03 AM
Uh...the media is giving you what people want to know.

If they gave you crap about below average players the would lose ratings. They have to spin it their way of course.

DaunteHOF
03-03-2006, 05:32 AM
They keep saying it trying to make it true

clean90
03-03-2006, 05:36 AM
First off I want to say that I am against trading Culp.

However, if Wilf does indeed plan to trade Culp, then Wilf would have to act like he intends to keep Culp. One way to do that is publicly stating that Culp will be recieving the bonus that is due.

If other teams believe that the Vikes will release Culp rather than paying his bonus then Culp's trade value will take a nosedive. Teams will take their chances with signing him as a free agent instead of giving up a high round pick.

Guruzen
03-03-2006, 05:40 AM
It gets to a point however, if the media keeps rubbing it in and everybody starts believing, then they will find a way. Kinda like buying an expensive gadget... at first you can't afford it... but you keep convincing yourself you need it and it is worth the money... eventually something snaps and you go ahead and buy it!

sleepagent
03-03-2006, 06:02 AM
The problem is the Management has not put an end to things.

They fuel the problem by saying things like, "It's the plan", "right now", or "Never say never".

They haven't said "DC is our franchise QB, he is not on the market, and we are not interested in trading him."

They add these little "outs" so if a deal happens, they didn't lie.

It's the same game Politicians play.

I for one believe, that if there's a deal out there that they like, DC is gone.

Freakout
03-03-2006, 06:19 AM
"sleepagent" wrote:

The problem is the Management has not put an end to things.

They fuel the problem by saying things like, "It's the plan", "right now", or "Never say never".

They haven't said "DC is our franchise QB, he is not on the market, and we are not interested in trading him."

They add these little "outs" so if a deal happens, they didn't lie.

It's the same game Politicians play.

I for one believe, that if there's a deal out there that they like, DC is gone.

I don't think you'll hear them back Culpepper 100% because whether we like it or not he was the franchise QB of a different owner, coach, and management. Our current main guys in the organization didn't choose Daunte so they are taking a wait and see approach with him.

Will not shock me at all if we don't eventually see him moved if he fails to live up to managements expectations on and off the field. It might not be fair to fans but hey, it's a buisness.

purpleFavreEaters
03-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Why do you care, why cant you just let it go???? I have.

purpleFavreEaters
03-03-2006, 09:06 AM
This is like the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 post about this exact same topic!!!!!! God it is getting so freaking annoying.

briboy75
03-03-2006, 09:48 AM
"Guruzen" wrote:

I think it would be quite funny if we dumped Culpepper and Brad got injured in week 1. Who's Brad's backup? Hill? hahahaha

you haven't kept up.. vikings probably wont resign hill. they are looking for another qb... probably in the draft.

digital420
03-03-2006, 11:15 AM
sorry.. browser messed up and double posted..

DiGiTaL

digital420
03-03-2006, 11:16 AM
here's why things won't get let go.

NFL.COM story (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9279193)
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9279193

(March 2, 2006) -- Talks at an extension for the collective-bargaining agreement are back on again, as are talks to trade quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

One NFL team confirmed that the Vikings have begun shopping Culpepper again, ascertaining whether another team would be willing to deal for him.

At this point, it looks as if the Baltimore Ravens won't. The Vikings and Ravens have spoken, but now Baltimore does not seem to have any interest in dealing for Culpepper. Others, however, might.

Daunte Culpepper is working hard, but likely will be in a different uniform next season.
One of the major reasons the Vikings even will consider dealing Culpepper is his relationship with Minnesota coach Brad Childress. The two have butted heads, and their relationship is off to a strained start that would need some repairing.

The big concern to other teams is Culpepper's knee. However, those close to Culpepper believe he is going to be completely recovered from his knee injury and that the quarterback is rehabbing almost freakishly. Culpepper appears obsessed to return to the form he had in 2004, not 2005, and is doing what he can during his workouts to ensure this. He already is doing footwork drills on land.

If Culpepper can prove to other teams he is healthy, then the chances of a trade will increase. But there should be some resolution to the story by March 17, the date that the quarterback's $6 million roster bonus is due.

DiGiTaL

singersp
03-03-2006, 01:21 PM
"briboy75" wrote:

"Guruzen" wrote:

you haven't kept up.. vikings probably wont resign hill. they are looking for another qb... probably in the draft.

No, you haven't kept up. :lol: Hill has already been told he wouldn't be re-signed. They like what they see in J.T. O'Sullivan.

That's our new go-to guy if Brad gets hurt. :shock:

Scary, isn't it?

singersp
03-03-2006, 01:32 PM
"JDante" wrote:

Asked if he could definitively say Culpepper was going to be on the Vikings roster in 2006, Wilf told the Star Tribune: "That is our plan, yes. Always was." That quote has been used seen repeatedly over and over again in all articles regarding Daunte but the writers tend to just brush past that and make it seem like some trade is in the works.

"Daunte Culpepper right now is the franchise quarterback," Childress said Friday in the Vikings' Winter Park locker room. "That's how they signed him. He's the guy. We'll just leave it at that." Another quote from within the VIkings triangle of authority saying that Culpepper wont be traded.

JDaunte, this is why;

Wilf said, "That is our plan." Plans can change.

Childress said, "Daunte Culpepper right now is the franchise quarterback." Right now simply means today. That doesn't mean tomorrow thing can change.

Also as someone mentioned earlier, Childress said "Never say never."

Some teams speculate DC will be cut & aren't talking deal. By the Vikings coming out & making statements that DC will be our QB & they'll pay DC the $6 mil, it makes those teams think that DC won't be cut & it immediately boosts his trade value.

AngloVike
03-03-2006, 02:05 PM
"singersp" wrote:

JDaunte, this is why;

Childress said, "Daunte Culpepper right now is the franchise quarterback." Right now simply means today. That doesn't mean tomorrow thing can change.

Some teams speculate DC will be cut & aren't talking deal. By the Vikings coming out & making statements that DC will be our QB & they'll pay DC the $6 mil, it makes those teams think that DC won't be cut & it immediately boosts his trade value.

another good example of the Vikes learning lessons and not tipping their hand at this stage as they have done in previous times.

singersp
03-03-2006, 02:08 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

JDaunte, this is why;

another good example of the Vikes learning lessons and not tipping their hand at this stage as they have done in previous times.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Plus trying to keep the media at bay.

Displaced_Viking
03-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Not to mention, nobody's presently got the cap room to pay Daunte likes he's been demanding, and the teams that do, might not need a QB, especially one's that rehabilitating while he should be learning the new offense.

I don't think the media was completely off base in their reports. I think Daunte realizes that finding a new home to play might be harder than he thought, and not as lucrative as he thought, so he'd like to keep that out of media.

BUT, I agree that this topic is getting pretty old, but as you can see, I coudn't help but post something on it. Maybe the media's on to something...

mr.woo
03-03-2006, 03:33 PM
beacause everybody is always being shopped. that way if another team wants to trade its possible.

NordicNed
03-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Won't even comment on this topic anymore.....Done with it.......

Ltrey33
03-03-2006, 04:39 PM
"briboy75" wrote:

"Guruzen" wrote:

As of now (if Daunte stays around) they are saying that J.T. O'Sullivan will be the 3rd stringer.

vikesoto
03-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Trade him,don't trade him,trade him,don't trade him..............
Enough !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JellyBean2144
03-03-2006, 11:03 PM
I try not to pay it any attention, it gets old pretty quick. If Culpepper leaves, cool. If he stays, cool. I just hope that he gets better and as a long NFL career.

JDante
08-11-2006, 04:12 PM
i feel so dumb makin this thread now that hes gone...

its funny cause ya know how when the offseasons almost over and you look back at all the stuff you said earlier, and how u said it with so much conviction, like you just KNEW you were right...and then 3 months later you were wayyyyyyyy off and u just feel kinda dumb...thats hapnin to me right now.

:P

jdvike
08-11-2006, 04:56 PM
It takes a stand up guy to resurrect a thread that serves crow to himself.
You got my respect. :wink:
I don't think anyone really thought that Pep would leave...until it happened.

cajunvike
08-11-2006, 05:19 PM
"jdvike" wrote:

It takes a stand up guy to resurrect a thread that serves crow to himself.You got my respect. :wink:
I don't think anyone really thought that Pep would leave...until it happened.

I second that emotion...mad props to ya, JDante!!! :grin: