PDA

View Full Version : Something To Ponder!

sleepagent
03-02-2006, 08:24 PM
With the FA period about to start, I thought I'd throw something out to ponder.

There was an NFL team that had the #1 Offense and the #1 Defense in the league, sent 9 players to the Pro Bowl, and did NOT have a 1,000 yard rusher or receiver, and the QB did NOT even break the 2,000 yard passing mark.

This team even went on to the Super Bowl and were HEAVY favorites to win. Unfortunately they lost.

The used the Running Back by committee approach and really only threw to 2 Wide Receivers and the Tight End.

The team finished the regular season with only 2 losses and obviously won games using their swarming, smothering defense.

Any guesses?

The 1969 Minnesota Vikings. Several of those players are in Canton, OH.

Prophet
03-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Nice flashback.

shockzilla
03-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Nice... Shows you about the old adage about defense - unfortunately, it didn't win them a championship...

briboy75
03-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Nice post. although, the league looks quite differnt in 1969 then it does now.

Del Rio
03-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Yeah considering the pass was not nurtured and by and by the world of football still considered running the only way to go.

Why pass to a guy who by the rules could be grabbed, held, abused.....

Teams in the 60's liked to have multiple backs to use just like teams have WR in todays league.

You cannot translate that plan and implement it today and get the same results. The NFL loves the pass, it makes them money.

midgensa
03-02-2006, 11:26 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Yeah considering the pass was not nurtured and by and by the world of football still considered running the only way to go.

Why pass to a guy who by the rules could be grabbed, held, abused.....

Teams in the 60's liked to have multiple backs to use just like teams have WR in todays league.

You cannot translate that plan and implement it today and get the same results. The NFL loves the pass, it makes them money.

Right on the head there.
I have to deal with so many people who tell me how football was played in the day because running backs were better blah blah blah ... the bottom line is you could not pass very effectively until the mid-70s when they started making rules to make passing a fair option (not that I am complaining).
You have to be able to throw the ball here and there to win in today's game ... that is the only way to consistently get first downs ... though a running game to compliment is always a nice thing.

sleepagent
03-02-2006, 11:32 PM
"sleepagent" wrote:

With the FA period about to start, I thought I'd throw something out to ponder.

There was an NFL team that had the #1 Offense and the #1 Defense in the league, sent 9 players to the Pro Bowl, and did NOT have a 1,000 yard rusher or receiver, and the QB did NOT even break the 2,000 yard passing mark.

This team even went on to the Super Bowl and were HEAVY favorites to win. Unfortunately they lost.

The used the Running Back by committee approach and really only threw to 2 Wide Receivers and the Tight End.

The team finished the regular season with only 2 losses and obviously won games using their swarming, smothering defense.

Any guesses?

The 1969 Minnesota Vikings. Several of those players are in Canton, OH.

Okay, here's an interesting follow up.

There was an NFL team that had the #5 Offense and the #1 Defense in the league, sent 9 players to the Pro Bowl, did not have a 1,000 yard Rusher (in fact didn't even have a 400 yard RB), used the Running Back by committee approach, and really only threw to 2 wide receivers and the Tight End.

The team finished the season with 5 losses and obviously won games with their swarming, smothering defense.

They made it to the NFC Divisional game before losing.

Any guesses?

The 1988 Minnesota Vikings.

FedjeViking
03-02-2006, 11:47 PM
I remember these seasons. The first was the days of the "Purple People Eaters." Dang, I loved that song! I wish we could have another set of "Purple People Eaters." :lol:

mr.woo
03-02-2006, 11:51 PM
oh we already are working on a new group dont you worry about that

DaunteHOF
03-03-2006, 04:34 AM
but we're gonna have a top 5 defense with a top 5 offense and win the superbowl being underdogs

gregair13
03-03-2006, 08:06 AM
those were the days

purpleFavreEaters
03-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Nice

FedjeViking
03-03-2006, 11:43 PM
"gregair13" wrote:

those were the days

They'll come again!