PDA

View Full Version : Whiner Kelly has new home

bigdogbovy
06-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Eric Kelly got picked up by the sorry Texans

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1831448&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

He will battle for the #3 spot which is the spot he lost with us.

triedandtruevikesfan
06-29-2004, 06:29 PM
hahahaha... the texans will be improved this year, but no way will be the same calibur team as the Vikes, he just went from one team to the next still fighting for same position on a team that isn't going to make it as far as the team he was previously on. I find that very funny

pepper 0n moss
06-29-2004, 06:46 PM
ooo can't wait til week 5 when we visit their house and he's forced to guard our receivers

that is, of course, if he wins the job

purplepat
06-29-2004, 10:51 PM
I guess he's there with former Viking rejects Kenny Wright, Kailee Wong, Kyries Hebert, and gosh knows who else. The Texans get the garbage, and the Browns overpay for the rest (Robert Griffith, Corey Fuller, Dwayne Rudd, Stalin Colinet to name a few)

pepper 0n moss
06-29-2004, 11:38 PM
i feel bad cos kenny wright is pep's cousin and never got a chance to click with peppy during games and made it big with the vikes

with our linebacking situation right now, i kind of miss kailee wong ... i wouldn't consider dwayne rudd 'garbage' or 'overpaid' either ... he was real solid with the bucs last season and i would accept his or wong's return with open arms for depth and leadership

DiehardVikesFan
06-30-2004, 12:38 AM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

i feel bad cos kenny wright is pep's cousin and never got a chance to click with peppy during games and made it big with the vikes

with our linebacking situation right now, i kind of miss kailee wong ... i wouldn't consider dwayne rudd 'garbage' or 'overpaid' either ... he was real solid with the bucs last season and i would accept his or wong's return with open arms for depth and leadership

I think you are thinking of Kenny Clarke as Culpepper's cousin, unless Culpepper is also related to Wright.

pepper 0n moss
06-30-2004, 12:41 AM
::sigh:: my bad guys ... i just keep gettin served facials ... today's not my day

hawaiianvike21
06-30-2004, 01:21 AM
what is up with all the former vikes heading south to houston??? Houston has to be a place where they pick up player from us that fail or dont get along with the coaching staff pretty well.

HOuston=vikes grave yard :lol:

pepper 0n moss
06-30-2004, 01:29 AM
we shoulda sent dernard walker there

hehehehe

purplepat
06-30-2004, 09:13 AM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

You are thinking of Kenny Clark, who is still with the team. I kind of doubt he will make the squad this year, though.

Kenny Wright is a S/CB who played OK for the Vikings, but wasn't anything special. He is the #2/#3 CB for the Texans now.

Bohunk
06-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Hey, remember that the Vikes picked up Steve Martin from the Texans, so the NAFTA highway flows both ways. I believe Wright and Wong came in the expansion draft where each team had to give up 2 players.

VKG4LFE
06-30-2004, 10:46 AM
I would have to agree with pepper on moss, I would definitely take back Rudd (even though he is getting old) and Kailee Wong! I thought Wong played pretty well for us the year or two that we had him (at least when he started). I sure wish we had Griffith and Fuller back too, I loved those guys!! Oh well though huh!

bigdogbovy
06-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Agreed.. Rudd was/is(maybe) a stud.

VKG4LFE
06-30-2004, 10:57 AM
I really can't believe we ever got rid of him/let him go. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

vikings_fan66
06-30-2004, 10:58 AM
I also miss guys like Griffith and Fuller. But I really miss guys like Ed Mcdaniel, Chris Walsh, John Randle, Leroy Hoard. Just a few of my favorite vikes back in the day.

muchluv4smoot
06-30-2004, 12:37 PM
For some reason I hated rudd and wong with a passion, not as much as I hated orlando thomas though.

One of my favorites was jerry butter ball.

sitandbehitski
06-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Rudd is a little ovverated, but Wong's a little underrated, he would provide awesome depth at Sam, which we need, as for Jerry Ball, that guy was AWESOME!!! Remember when he sat on Troy Aikman right after he had that concussion and sidelined him for the rest of the game, and they would show him every now and then with this Zombie-like expression? That was classic.

ItalianStallion
06-30-2004, 02:03 PM
anyone remember why we let go of Rudd, was it because of the salary cap?

josdin00
06-30-2004, 02:23 PM
"purplepat" wrote:

I guess he's there with former Viking rejects Kenny Wright, Kailee Wong, Kyries Hebert, and gosh knows who else. The Texans get the garbage, and the Browns overpay for the rest (Robert Griffith, Corey Fuller, Dwayne Rudd, Stalin Colinet to name a few)

Actually, when Kailee was still on the Vikings, We tried trding him to the Texans for Kenny. However, a typo in the paperwork said that we'd give him to the Texans twice. Houston had to turn down the offer, because two Wongs don't make a Wright.

josdin00
06-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I couldn't help it. Sometimes my strange sense of humor gets the best of me.

triedandtruevikesfan
06-30-2004, 10:31 PM
I really liked Wong and Rudd... but you're right muchluv.... I loved Jerry Ball... what ever happened to that guy, did he go else where or did he retire?

purplepat
07-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Ball retired. He was pretty much at the end of his career when he came to the Vikings.

The Vikings chose not to offer Rudd a contract when he became eligible for free agency. The Vikings were already in cap hell, and were having to let a lot of good players go to other teams simply because they could not afford to pay "market price" for them. Rudd, while seemingly possessing loads of physical talent and a knack for being around the ball, just never seemed to put it all together to truly be an "impact" player.

I actually had no problems with Wong, but again, I think the Vikings chose not to re-sign him because his value on the free agent market exceeded what they thought his performance warranted. He isn't/wasn't a bad player, but just wasn't an impact player. There's a difference betwen stuffing a runner in the gap, and tackling him after he's come through the hole and gained 5 yards, or breaking up a pass play vs tackling the receiver after they've gotten a first down. Let's face it, the Vikings defense largely sucked, and while not necessarily Wong's (or Rudd's) fault, why pay someone big bucks that isn't going to elevate your defense above the "suck" level.

purplepat
07-01-2004, 12:35 PM
"sitandbehitski" wrote:

Rudd is a little ovverated, but Wong's a little underrated, he would provide awesome depth at Sam.

True, but Wong is and deserves to be a starter. There's no reason a young player like him would stick around Minnesota to be "depth". If he would have re-signed for "depth" money, I'm sure the Vikings would have kept him. I'm pretty sure he has been the Texans leading tackler for the two seasons he has played there.

purplepat
07-01-2004, 12:37 PM
"sitandbehitski" wrote:

Rudd is a little ovverated, but Wong's a little underrated, he would provide awesome depth at Sam.

True, but Wong is and deserves to be a starter. There's no reason a young player like him would stick around Minnesota to be "depth". If he would have re-signed for "depth" money, I'm sure the Vikings would have kept him.

TEXPACK
07-01-2004, 12:54 PM
The Texans upgraded their backup secondary when they acquired Kelly.

The Texans Defense is far away better than the Vikes.

The Vikings second best defender (Williams is the Best) E.J. Henderson may be in prison and unavailable to play.

Sorry, I foget the vikes got Antoine @CB that should help too.

The Vikings are looking at 8-8 this year. Check your schedule there are 8 losses guaranteed this year folks. Detroit will be breathing down your necks all year for the silver metal but, The Green Bay Packers will again be NFC North Champions.

Best regards,
TEXPACK

muchluv4smoot
07-01-2004, 12:58 PM
"bigdogbovy" wrote:

Eric Kelly got picked up by the sorry Texans

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1831448&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

He will battle for the #3 spot which is the spot he lost with us.

Getting back to what this thread was originally about, kelly actually got what he wanted. Kelly was actually gonna be fighting for our #4 CB spot, and not our #3 spot. #1 winfield, #2 Brian williams, #3 kenny irvin, and #4 rushen jones. He was fighting a loosing battle, with rushen jones, for that #4 CB spot. So I guess he did move up the depth chart by going to a different team. What I don't understand is, why would a team want a guy who didn't want to fight and earn a spot on our team? Why would you want a guy who gets mad and gives up if a guy is moved ahead of him, just for one damn practice? Sounds like a cancer to a team to me.

muchluv4smoot
07-01-2004, 01:05 PM
[quote="TEXPACK"]The Texans upgraded their backup secondary when they acquired Kelly.

The Texans Defense is far away better than the Vikes.

The Vikings second best defender (Williams is the Best) E.J. Henderson may be in prison and unavailable to play.

Sorry, I foget the vikes got Antoine @CB that should help too.

The Vikings are looking at 8-8 this year. Check your schedule there are 8 losses guaranteed this year folks. Detroit will be breathing down your necks all year for the silver metal but, The Green Bay Packers will again be NFC North Champions.

Sorry but this guys credability went out the door when he started comparing a top team like the vikes, to the texans. Keep dreamin buddy, while the season hasn't started yet, because once it starts, you will look pretty foolish with your thoughts on the vikes.

triedandtruevikesfan
07-01-2004, 01:08 PM
thats alright, as soon as the vikings prove him wrong this year he will never be heard from again

Purple D
07-01-2004, 01:52 PM
I think that the reason the vikings didn't keep Rudd, is because although he was always physical and around the ball, he had problems wrapping up and tackling alot and alot of times . He always put a good hit on opponents but alot of times never tackled them because he wasn't wrapping them up and taking them down. :scratch: