PDA

View Full Version : Wilf plans $6 million commitment to Culpepper

BigMoInAZ
02-26-2006, 05:59 AM
This just in from the STribe!
Wilf plans $6 million commitment to Culpepper (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/271158.html)
The Vikings owner says he'll pay the bonus due next month and tries to downplay talk that the quarterback will leave.
Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

May the controversy die tonight! I always based my belief that this owner would show his true colors IF he kept his word! He promised that Daunte would get this bonus well before the TRADE RUMORS and ANTI DAUNTE campaign kicked off concerning CPep demanding a new contract! I sat patiently by waiting for this moment of truth on whether or not this owner would be a man of his word! Now that he has spoken, let's kindly move on to a new begining! SKOL Vikings, SKOL!

P.S. YOU DA MAN ZYGI!!!!

Mr. Purple
02-26-2006, 06:02 AM
About time....Looks like our orginization does have brains.

VKG4LFE
02-26-2006, 06:10 AM
Good, now we can stop worrying about that!! For now at least.

Euphman06
02-26-2006, 06:26 AM
Ah, good move wilfy, glad to hear this news. I didn't want to see pep let go. Let's hope him a good recovery!

Ltrey33
02-26-2006, 06:29 AM
Well you can damn well bet if we pay him 6 million bucks that he's staying! Good...now hopefully we can move on.

ultravikingfan
02-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Thank goodness!

Now all the silly threads will cease!

VKG4LFE
02-26-2006, 06:39 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Thank goodness!

Now all the silly threads will cease!

Knock on wood!!! Don't go speaking too soon now!! lol

vegasvike
02-26-2006, 07:08 AM
I wonder how many Ziggy haters will be here now,LOL

collegeguyjeff
02-26-2006, 10:31 AM
now we won't win the superbowl for sure

LuckyVike
02-26-2006, 10:46 AM
If the right offer comes along before he pays the money, I doubt he'd pass it up. I must admit, I wanted Daunte traded and this is coming from a guy that used to have Culpepper as one of his fav. players and the number 11 in his name.

vikingTurf
02-26-2006, 11:14 AM
I am sure Daunte would like tomorrow to be March 17th, so would I.

Benet
02-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Seems pretty air-tight to me. Now we can move on to more speculative and more exciting topics!

nephilimstorm
02-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Wow nice article...i read that...Daunte better bring us to the super bowl or shatter his other knee lol

singersp
02-26-2006, 11:45 AM
So far Zygi has been a man of his words. We will know for sure when March 17th rolls around.

If he goes back on his word now, it would surely hurt his creditibility with some fans, Minnesotans & legislatures.

Keep in mind, the Vikings will still need to shop for a back-up QB or pursue one with the draft. Dante will probably not be ready to go at the beginning of the season & since Hill has been told he won't be re-signed, we need a back-up for Johnson until DC's healthy.

adamv
02-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Good now I can return to hibernation until the draft.

Mr-holland
02-26-2006, 12:27 PM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

now we won't win the superbowl for sure
There's always a next year

singersp
02-26-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm wondering why he just didn't day this before.

Did they perhaps change their tune once the players spoke out on Dante's behalf? :wink:

singersp
02-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanx for renaming the thread to it's descriptive title Big Mo!

You're getting the hang of it. :wink:

NordicNed
02-26-2006, 05:05 PM
"singersp" wrote:

I'm wondering why he just didn't day this before.

Did they perhaps change their tune once the players spoke out on Dante's behalf? :wink:

Singer,

I'm starting to believe, both sides (PeP and Wilf and Management)

where testing what was out there and what options both could play with.

I think Wilf and company found that they couldn't get much for Daunte and it would leave a bad taste in not only alot of fans mouths but Vikings Players mouths also, if we did ship him out.

At the same time, I think PeP was making some demands that where not very resonable......And I still believe he was hidding some other reasons for wanting to leave....

In the end, both sides have come to believe, no one would would gain by Daunte leaving or by Daunte being traded off or let go....

I think both sides are trying to save face now, and thats okay with me.....I'll say like I've said in the past, I hope Daunte heals well and can come back stronger than ever....He's earned that much to be given the chance at least....

If he can't make a comeback and doesn't adapt to the new systems of Childress's......Then we can look in a different direction..

Till all this unfolds, I'll be wishing Daunte and Wilf good luck on taking us to the Promise Land.........Super Bowl Baby....... :lol:

cc21
02-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Thats awsome. I am liking Zygi more and more. Now lets just hope that all of this Pep stuff can stop and he can just focus on getting healthy.

VikesfaninWis
02-26-2006, 06:04 PM
"singersp" wrote:

So far Zygi has been a man of his words. We will know for sure when March 17th rolls around.

If he goes back on his word now, it would surely hurt his creditibility with some fans, Minnesotans & legislatures.

Keep in mind, the Vikings will still need to shop for a back-up QB or pursue one with the draft. Dante will probably not be ready to go at the beginning of the season & since Hill has been told he won't be re-signed, we need a back-up for Johnson until DC's healthy.

I am going out on a limb and saying that it will be Gus Ferotte.. There are rumors that he will be released if he doesn't accept a paycut. He has already said that he won't, so look for the Fins to let him go.

Also, I see Zygi being a man of his word. That doesn't mean that he won't pay Culpepper, wait till he is able to play then trade him when his stock is up. I would still kinda like to see the Vikes go after Brees in FA, but not if it means Wilf going back on his words..

Caine
02-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Sorry to sound do "grumbly", but the fact taht Wilf has stated - again - that he plans to pay Culpepper isn't exactly breaking news...even if he did reiterate it only yesterday.

Is the new Vikings "We ain't saying NUTTIN'!!!" policy so stumping reporters that they have run out of relevant material? Or were the previous policies so generous with information that the reporters forgot how to ask interesting and intelligent questions?

Either way, not much "News" is comming out on the Vikes of late...simply more rehashing of the same tired stories. The last interesting tidbit was us slapping Williams with the Transition tag...after that, it was all bupkis.

I can't wait for Free Agency to start...then the reporters will be able to get some REAL stories again...from the AP wire.

Caine

PurpleRide
02-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Best news out of the offseason! Get back soon DC.

VikesfaninWis
02-26-2006, 06:40 PM
"Caine" wrote:

Sorry to sound do "grumbly", but the fact taht Wilf has stated - again - that he plans to pay Culpepper isn't exactly breaking news...even if he did reiterate it only yesterday.

Is the new Vikings "We ain't saying NUTTIN'!!!" policy so stumping reporters that they have run out of relevant material? Or were the previous policies so generous with information that the reporters forgot how to ask interesting and intelligent questions?

Either way, not much "News" is comming out on the Vikes of late...simply more rehashing of the same tired stories. The last interesting tidbit was us slapping Williams with the Transition tag...after that, it was all bupkis.

I can't wait for Free Agency to start...then the reporters will be able to get some REAL stories again...from the AP wire.

Caine

That is the problem with writers. They have nothing to go on so they make up sh!t. That is what gets fans, and players so pissed off that they have no other choice but to lash out. I think if the writers have nothing to go on, then they should keep their bif F'N mouths shut and write about something else..

singersp
02-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Sunday, February 26, 2006

Culpepper's status in Minnesota still uncertain

Daunte Culpepper has been the subject of trade speculation before this year was even over. The Vikings have done little to quell the talk. At least until this week.

Reports now have the Vikings willing to committed to paying a $6 million dollar roster bonus due to Culpepper on March 17th. The Vikings owner says Dante is still in their plans. But, the question is are they "playing" plans or "trading" plans?

New headcoach Brad Childress reportedly disclosed that the Vikings had discussions with other teams at the combine workouts. Despite pledging to pay the roster bonus, the Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said that nothing has been ruled out.

So much for commitment.

// posted by JD @ 11:24 AM

Daunte Culpepper (http://www.hotsaucesports.com/2006/02/culpeppers-status-in-minnesota-still.asp)

VKG4LFE
02-26-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm gonna be happy when this is all figured out once and for all. I hope we give him the bonus and KEEP him, but who knows what the hell is gonna happen!

GoVikes11
02-26-2006, 07:31 PM
If the right offer comes along before he pays the money, I doubt he'd pass it up. I must admit, I wanted Daunte traded and this is coming from a guy that used to have Culpepper as one of his fav. players and the number 11 in his name.

Hypocrite. Its ok though at least you told the truth. I just think it's kinda lame to just like him when things are going well. I have liked him since his UCF days and I always will. It really pisses me off when I see all these Viking fans that turn against him or boo him (opening day) just because he didn't play well last year. He is a top five Quarterback and he will show it next year. Lets just hope he does it in purple. I know I don't post here often because I usually just go to footballsfuture.com but I just thought I would speak my mind and I hope I didn't offend anyone.

V4L
02-26-2006, 07:33 PM
I hear ya GoVikes!!!

People on here were riding his jock hardcore when he was having a great season.. Saying "I Told ya, He will be a HOF'er"

Then some of the same people are calling for a trade and don't even like him anymore..

He was alot of peoples favorite player here.. And when he does bad they go and pick a different favorite player

COJOMAY
02-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Now Daunte -- Wilf has shown you his true colors. How aboout you showing years and becoming the leader of this team you are suppose to be and learning this offense?

purpleFavreEaters
02-26-2006, 07:55 PM
This is horrible news. I was really looking forward to seeing Daunte get traded. We need a true team leader in the clubhouse and Daunte just does not cut it anymore he has proven that by his lies and the way he carries himself.

singersp
02-26-2006, 08:23 PM
"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:

This is horrible news. I was really looking forward to seeing Daunte get traded. We need a true team leader in the clubhouse and Daunte just does not cut it anymore he has proven that by his lies and the way he carries himself.

Wilf said he plans to pay C-Pep. He didn't say for sure he would.

As everyone knows, plans can change. Especially in the NFL.

purpleFavreEaters
02-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Should be very interesting to see how all this offseason stuff pans out.

RK.
02-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I thought this from the article was interesting.

Wilf, who arrived Saturday at the NFL combine, initially balked at discussing the Culpepper situation but soon relented as he walked through the lobby of the RCA Dome Convention Center after being one of the few owners to watch player workouts.

I like Wilf. Also the Vikes have no choice but to pay the bonus. If they don't then Pep is worth nothing as a trade and they would just have to release him. I think they are gambling that his knee will rehab and he will then have trade value. As to Pep playing next year it will come down to can he play the WC offense better than BJ. If he can't then look for him to be traded. In short we had to pay him till we know if his knee is ok.

sleepagent
02-26-2006, 08:58 PM
"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

Wilf plans $6 million commitment to Culpepper (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/271158.html)
The Vikings owner says he'll pay the bonus due next month and tries to downplay talk that the quarterback will leave.

May the controversy die tonight! I always based my belief that this owner would show his true colors IF he kept his word! He promised that Daunte would get this bonus well before the TRADE RUMORS and ANTI DAUNTE campaign kicked off concerning CPep demanding a new contract! I sat patiently by waiting for this moment of truth on whether or not this owner would be a man of his word! Now that he has spoken, let's kindly move on to a new begining! SKOL Vikings, SKOL!

P.S. YOU DA MAN ZYGI!!!!

He is being a bit evasive. He is not coming out and saying that Culpepper will be a Vikings in 2006. He is saying everything but, which tells me IF they get an offer they like, then DC is gone. They are not committing and leaving themselves an out.

vikesoto
02-26-2006, 11:49 PM
This is the best thing for the Vikes IMO. Every player has a bad year. I believe he'll bounce back,and return to a Pro Bowl level soon.

COJOMAY
02-27-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm gonna be real bold here and make my prediction for whatever it's worth. First a bit of history...
First Daunte makes demands on the Vikings after he has suffered a bad injury and the Viking reject his offers. The public sidea with management.
Second, Daunte firet his agent and sulks a bit.
Third the Vikings shop him to see what he's worth. They find out not much at the present.
Fourth Daunte sees the handwriting on the wall and that he can't beat management so he comes out and make concessions on his bonus and says in effect, "I want to do what's best for the team." (Can't we just all get alone...) Boo, hiss management. Score one for Daunte.
Fifth, Wilf comes out and say we PLAN to pay Danute the bonus on March 17th which happens to be about three week away. Yea management. Wilf's a great guy!
Now here's my question. Did Wilf say that just to increase Daunte's worth in a trade? Think about it!
OK, here's my prediction...
DANUTE WILL NEVER BE A VIKING UNTIL MARCH 17TH.

BigMoInAZ
02-27-2006, 02:21 AM
"sleepagent" wrote:

"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

May the controversy die tonight! I always based my belief that this owner would show his true colors IF he kept his word! He promised that Daunte would get this bonus well before the TRADE RUMORS and ANTI DAUNTE campaign kicked off concerning CPep demanding a new contract! I sat patiently by waiting for this moment of truth on whether or not this owner would be a man of his word! Now that he has spoken, let's kindly move on to a new beginning! SKOL Vikings, SKOL!

P.S. YOU DA MAN ZYGI!!!!

He is being a bit evasive. He is not coming out and saying that Culpepper will be a Vikings in 2006. He is saying everything but, which tells me IF they get an offer they like, then DC is gone. They are not committing and leaving themselves an out.
How is the following being evasive?
Asked if he could definitively say Culpepper was going to be on the Vikings roster in 2006, Wilf said: "That is our plan, yes. Always was." He reiterated that point in two follow-up questions.
Of course I understand completely how we fans have come to be so sceptical of the "AL JAZERRA" Minnesota Media! :lol:

singersp
02-27-2006, 04:37 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I'm gonna be real bold here and make my prediction for whatever it's worth. First a bit of history...
First Daunte makes demands on the Vikings after he has suffered a bad injury and the Viking reject his offers. The public sidea with management.
Second, Daunte firet his agent and sulks a bit.
Third the Vikings shop him to see what he's worth. They find out not much at the present.
Fourth Daunte sees the handwriting on the wall and that he can't beat management so he comes out and make concessions on his bonus and says in effect, "I want to do what's best for the team." (Can't we just all get alone...) Boo, hiss management. Score one for Daunte.
Fifth, Wilf comes out and say we PLAN to pay Danute the bonus on March 17th which happens to be about three week away. Yea management. Wilf's a great guy!
Now here's my question. Did Wilf say that just to increase Daunte's worth in a trade? Think about it!

Disagree with you Cojo. Dante is a Viking.

He is still under contract whether Wilf pays him or not, unlessl he is traded or cut.

NodakPaul
02-27-2006, 04:52 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Doubt it. If they said that they weren't going to pay him, it would have destroyed his trade value, but saying that they will really doesn't increase it. Especially with the amount of QBs on the market that will be able to start immediately.

And I don't know about this DANUTE guy :wink:, but Dante is now and always has been a Viking.

GoVikes11
02-27-2006, 05:00 AM
By the way not trying to be rude but I have seen several people on this forum spell it wrong. This is how you spell his name:

Daunte

COJOMAY
02-27-2006, 05:00 AM

I wrote that last sentence badly. How did I do so well on the Wonderlic??? What I meant to say he will not LAST as a Viking past March 17th. (In other words, he'll be traded before the 17th of March.)

Hey, it's just a guess but if it pans out I'll be looked at as the world's great prognastagator! LOL

nephilimstorm
02-27-2006, 05:34 AM
I really hope c-pep will not get traded now.w..thius reminds me HW back when

singersp
02-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Posted on Tue, Feb. 28, 2006

Daunte talk just part of the game

After having zip-locked their lips when it came to Daunte Culpepper, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and coach Brad Childress suddenly became chatty. Despite what both said, I still believe they want to unload Culpepper.

On Friday, Childress said teams have contacted the Vikings about acquiring Culpepper, and he declined to rule out the possibility of trading or releasing the injured quarterback. A day later, Wilf said he intends to pay the $6 million bonus due Culpepper on March 17 and that the plan "always was" to keep him.

Here's my theory: The Vikings need leverage to keep teams interested in trading for Culpepper. So Wilf says he plans to pay the bonus. If teams think Culpepper will be released — that's the Dolphins' belief, the Miami Herald reported last week — there's less incentive to offer something for him.

Wilf fueled this theory, when asked if reports about attempts to trade Culpepper were sheer speculation, by saying, "I don't know. I'm not involved in anything like that." Wilf has his hand in everything. You can bet if anyone with the franchise looked into trading Culpepper, he would be involved.

Wilf also said he "realized it's very important to keep things during the combine and draft close to the vest, because it's a matter of gamesmanship right now."

If you ask me, claiming he plans to pay Culpepper that bonus is part of the gamesmanship.

Bob Sansevere can be reached at bsansevere@pioneerpress.com

Daunte talk just part of the game (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/13977795.htm)

COJOMAY
02-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Gezzzzz, for once Sansevere writes something I agree with.

damien927
02-28-2006, 05:08 PM
I think it is plain stupid and bad business to cut Daunte. They wouldn't get ANYTHING for him. If they have decided that he is not the type of player they want on the team in the future, then that is fine. If they actually plan on getting rid of him, then they should pay the $6m bonus, which doesn't count against the cap, and then help him rehab and get back sometime this year. Then re-evaluate his progress at that time and if they still want to get rid of him, then do it, but get something of high value for him. Once again, it woudl be plain stupid to cut him or trade him for a 2nd rd pick. Get something for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NodakPaul
02-28-2006, 06:17 PM
I don' t think you have to worry about them releasing Dante. The only people that have ever ever mentioned that is the media, and that is because they weren't getting any news out of Winter Park.

Yes, it would be a bad decision to cut Dante, and Wilf knows that. A much better decision is to keep him, get him healthy, and use him if they can, If they can't, then next year he could be traded. Wilf has been going down this route all along. He never varied, it is just the press getting their panties in a bunch.

singersp
03-05-2006, 02:43 PM
From KFFL;

Vikings | Culpepper payment may be delayed
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 21:07:50 -0800

Judd Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings may not have to pay QB Daunte Culpepper his $6 million roster bonus until March 20 instead of March 17, because of the delay to the start of free agency.

DaScRuM
03-05-2006, 09:01 PM
IMO, Culpepper may very well be gone. This story just doesn't go away. And that usually isn't a good sign. And add to that, if the rumors are true that his wife wants out of Minnesota, hmmmmm.

And, it just seems odd to me that Culpepper is staying away from WP. I would think with this new system being installed, he would be spending alot of time with this new staff.

I would have to say it's better than 50-50 he's gone.

adamv
03-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Its just the usual tribune SOP by publishing what they think not know. If you read the article is states something about a source from NFL.com. Anyone else bother to check the source? You're making a mistake if you take the author's word as truth especially when dealing with the star trib cause most of it is opinion disguised as truth.

LuckyVike
03-05-2006, 09:49 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

I don' t think you have to worry about them releasing Dante. The only people that have ever ever mentioned that is the media, and that is because they weren't getting any news out of Winter Park.

Yes, it would be a bad decision to cut Dante, and Wilf knows that. A much better decision is to keep him, get him healthy, and use him if they can, If they can't, then next year he could be traded. Wilf has been going down this route all along. He never varied, it is just the press getting their panties in a bunch.

If we wait until he PROVES HE ISN'T WHAT HE ONCE WAS, then we'll get nothing for him in return if we trade him.

DaunteHOF
03-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Was there ever a doubt?

whackthepack
03-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Culpepper said last week that he would move the signing bonus back to late summer if need be, so I do not feel that the signing bonus is an issue at this time.

ryanmurphy
03-06-2006, 07:46 PM
(March 6, 2006) -- The more the rumors circulate about Daunte Culpepper possibly being traded, the issue will turn to what kind of deal makes sense rather than just cutting him. The Vikings star QB is hurt and no team wants to take a risk with big trade compensation until it knows he can regain his level of play.

Culpepper would have to rework his contract for a new team and if he is stubborn about that aspect, he could find himself cut and on the street waiting for a full recovery before teams would get serious about his services. A team that would prefer to lock him up now in a trade will want to reduce the roster bonus due now, which seems possible to me if Culpepper is getting good advice about his present value. Most clubs would be willing to put the rest of the bonus back into the deal based on his health.

As for the structure of a trade, I think the deal has to involve draft picks from the 2007 draft, not the 2006 draft. To take the guesswork out of when Culpepper will be healthy enough to play and how much of his former self can a team expects to get means the compensation, has to be staggered. Here's a sliding scale that I would consider if I were a team interested in Culpepper and if I was a member of the Vikings looking for fair value:

If he never plays again ... no draft compensation. If he returns in time for half the season -- a second-round pick is warranted. If he returns for the majority of the season -- then a first-round pick. If he throws for a minimum of 3,000 yards, then a first- and third-round selections. If he makes the Pro Bowl -- a first-round pick in 2007 and 2008.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9287875

snowinapril
03-06-2006, 07:53 PM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Was there ever a doubt?

Good one, DaunteHOF

"Stay the Course" as I heard a wise man say one time, oh no wait, that wasn't a wise man, that was out President.

NodakPaul
03-06-2006, 07:53 PM
:grin: I was going to post his when it came out about an hour ago, but I knew it would surface somewhere without me having to.

Still just media specualtion... nothing of any real substance.

DCPologirl
03-06-2006, 07:59 PM
right :roll:

DCPologirl
03-06-2006, 08:01 PM
here we go again...................

snowinapril
03-06-2006, 08:02 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Culpepper said last week that he would move the signing bonus back to late summer if need be, so I do not feel that the signing bonus is an issue at this time.

Good Point!

"LuckyVike" wrote:

If we wait until he PROVES HE ISN'T WHAT HE ONCE WAS, then we'll get nothing for him in return if we trade him.

If I was a GM for another team, I would have no problem pulling the trigger for DC. Assuming what the Doctors have said and his recovery schedule is ahead of schedule is all TRUE.

I would try to put it to the Vikings that he is damaged good and push for a discount and give them some incentive base compensation for him, but I definitely would pursue it to the fullest with a huge smile under the look of concern on my face.

Big C
03-06-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm just eager to see how Dante performs with an actual Offensive Coordinator. He did wonders with Linehan. Loney was too busy with the offensive line. He didn't get help (Rhome) till after Danter got injured. I hope he doesn't get traded this season.

mr.woo
03-07-2006, 02:09 AM
didnt see this posted anywhere else so i though id pop it in here.

Daunte faced with daunting dilemma (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9287875)

By Pat Kirwan
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(March 6, 2006) -- The more the rumors circulate about Daunte Culpepper possibly being traded, the issue will turn to what kind of deal makes sense rather than just cutting him. The Vikings star QB is hurt and no team wants to take a risk with big trade compensation until it knows he can regain his level of play.

Culpepper would have to rework his contract for a new team and if he is stubborn about that aspect, he could find himself cut and on the street waiting for a full recovery before teams would get serious about his services. A team that would prefer to lock him up now in a trade will want to reduce the roster bonus due now, which seems possible to me if Culpepper is getting good advice about his present value. Most clubs would be willing to put the rest of the bonus back into the deal based on his health.

As for the structure of a trade, I think the deal has to involve draft picks from the 2007 draft, not the 2006 draft. To take the guesswork out of when Culpepper will be healthy enough to play and how much of his former self a team expects to get means the compensation has to be staggered. Here's a sliding scale that I would consider if I were a team interested in Culpepper and if I was a member of the Vikings looking for fair value:

If he never plays again ... no draft compensation. If he returns in time for half the season -- a second-round pick is warranted. If he returns for the majority of the season -- then a first-round pick. If he throws for a minimum of 3,000 yards, then a first- and third-round selection. If he makes the Pro Bowl -- a first-round pick in 2007 and 2008.

shawn9876uss
03-07-2006, 02:10 AM
I hope we can get something good, and go after brees, who would be better in the west coast offense, but I hope they don't release him just to get rid of him

mr.woo
03-07-2006, 02:17 AM
true dat

midgensa
03-07-2006, 02:29 AM
"shawn9876uss" wrote:

I hope we can get something good, and go after brees, who would be better in the west coast offense, but I hope they don't release him just to get rid of him

Brees sucks and is coming off shoulder surgery. I don't even know why there is so much hub about him.
All this crap about C-Pep having ONE good year (even though he has three pro bowl appearances) and not hearing the same thing about Drew Brees who has one good year (pro bowl in 2004, despite only throwing for 3,100 yards ... though he was a solid 27 TDs to 7 Ints) two BAD years and one average year (last season ... where he was awful at the end of the year).
I would like to keep Pep ... but if we don't ... I don't know what makes people think that Drew "I swear I can throw it more than 20-yards" Brees is the answer.

vegasvike
03-07-2006, 02:43 AM
If he never plays again ... no draft compensation. If he returns in time for half the season -- a second-round pick is warranted. If he returns for the majority of the season -- then a first-round pick. If he throws for a minimum of 3,000 yards, then a first- and third-round selection. If he makes the Pro Bowl -- a first-round pick in 2007 and 2008.

Man the stupid trades will not end with us! Hey Jerry you're welcome for you 3 superbowls! Let's trade the best WR in the game for a LB who lost his job before the half way mark of the season and, well I have nothing against T-roy now like you said if Pep comes back in time and plays like the elite QB he is, trade him. FOR WHAT?!?! What could we psossibly get that would fill that hole? Brees? the same guy that is/ has lost his job to a qb who thrown maybe 15 passes in his career, with most of them being in meaningless, exhibition, preseason games? yeah smart move

sleepagent
03-07-2006, 02:52 AM
Article was already posted here . . .

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=19258&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

pep_pip_squeak
03-08-2006, 12:42 AM
:shock: all i can really say to any of this "fire him or not?" crud is that if he goes, i will have to change my account name... c'mon... PEP_PIP_SQUEAK ?? :grin:

snowinapril
03-08-2006, 01:50 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

"shawn9876uss" wrote:

Brees sucks and is coming off shoulder surgery. I don't even know why there is so much hub about him.
All this crap about C-Pep having ONE good year (even though he has three pro bowl appearances) and not hearing the same thing about Drew Brees who has one good year (pro bowl in 2004, despite only throwing for 3,100 yards ... though he was a solid 27 TDs to 7 Ints) two BAD years and one average year (last season ... where he was awful at the end of the year).
I would like to keep Pep ... but if we don't ... I don't know what makes people think that Drew "I swear I can throw it more than 20-yards" Brees is the answer.

You tell'm midgensa!

You're my boy midg, you're ma boy!

cajunvike
03-08-2006, 01:50 AM
"vegasvike" wrote:

Man the stupid trades will not end with us! Hey Jerry you're welcome for you 3 superbowls! Let's trade the best WR in the game for a LB who lost his job before the half way mark of the season and, well I have nothing against T-roy now like you said if Pep comes back in time and plays like the elite QB he is, trade him. FOR WHAT?!?! What could we psossibly get that would fill that hole? Brees? the same guy that is/ has lost his job to a qb who thrown maybe 15 passes in his career, with most of them being in meaningless, exhibition, preseason games? yeah smart move

Brees did NOT lose his job to Rivers...it's a MONEY thing...no more, no less...they had to make a choice and they had to go with the high draft pick...because if they trade him and he lights it up, they will NEVER live it down...if he sucks, oh well, just another Ryan Leaf...the Chargers are trapped between a rock and a hard place...so they go with the younger player...that is also (incidentally) NOT HURT!

DefensivePlaymaker
03-09-2006, 04:22 AM
Culpepper said he wants to be released or traded. I hope we can trade him for something.