PDA

View Full Version : Predictions on rookies of the year

muchluv4smoot
06-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Here are my predictions on rookies of the year:

Defensive: Dontarrious Thomas- No, not because he is a vike! I think many of you on this site already know how much i love this guy and I think he can be a pro bowl LB in this league for a long time. He is very smart and that is why I think he can come in, start, and be productive right away for us. I garauntee he is a better LB in the NFL than DJ Williams is, so i am so glad we didn't waste a 1st on DJ.

Runner up: DeAngelo Hall- He is a huge playmaker and will make a difference to atlanta's d. I see him having more of an impact than newman did for dallas last year.

3rd: Vilma- A ton of talent and is very smart. Should be an impact player on the jets crappy D.

Offensive: Winslow JR- I think he will be jeff garcia's favorite receiver. He has more talent than shockey does, and that is scary. Look for year much like shockey's first, but with more TD's.

runner up: Gallery- it will be hard for an o-lineman to win the rookie of the year award, but he will have a year worthy of it. He is definately the real deal.

3rd: Kevin jones- There is always a RB who does well in his rookie year and i see jones as that back. He has a ton of talent. Detroit upgraded their O-line and will look to run the ball more this year, to open up the passing game(last year it was the other way around). Jones can also be a factor in the passing game.

VikingsTw
06-28-2004, 10:08 PM
Well i hope u are right about Thomas, i like him alot to, and feel he will be an impact player for us

sdvikefan
06-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Defensive rookie: Sean Taylor. All-around awesome athlete who can do just about everything a defense could ask of him.

Runner up: I agree with DeAngelo Hall.

Third: Kenechi Udeze because I don't think it will take long for him to make an impact, and because no other rookie lineman compares with him when it comes to pass rushing.

Offensive rookie: Kevin Jones. I think Steven Jackson is a better RB, but I don't see him in a starting role this year like Kevin Jones will probably be. Jones will get plenty of carries in an offense that is overall much improved. He is a very talented back.

Runner up: Larry Fitzgerald. Again, when you're looking for rookies that will make an immediate impact to the team that drafted them, not many others will have the opportunity that Fitzgerald will have. Best rookie WR hands down.

Third: Kellen Winslow. Brings an added dimension to the offense, a solid receiving threat and all-around great athlete. No doubt he will be used in a variety of roles in Cleveland.

pepper 0n moss
06-28-2004, 10:14 PM
i believe that the rookie of the year for offense will most definietly be a running back ... not only is it the most easy position to learn on the offensive side of the ball ... but because i believe tatum bell will claim the honors running behind that denver line ... i also wouldn't be surprised if lee evans of buffalo won it ... he plays opposite eric moulds so he should see little attention coming his way ... and bledsoe is due for a breakout year much like his first with the bills now that he has henry, moulds, a legitimate #2, reed and most importantly, a healthy mcgahee

for defense, i'm gonna have to go with will smith, as he will be very productive on a highly talented saints line ... and i see him having the type of year julius peppers had his rookie year [minus the suspension]

LosAngelis
06-28-2004, 10:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the Packers have the rookie punter of the year. Hell, they better!

RandyMoss8404
06-28-2004, 10:28 PM
Defense: DeAngelo Hall or Kenechi Udeze
Offense: Kellen Winslow II hands down and ballots counted.

sdvikefan
06-28-2004, 10:31 PM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

i believe that the rookie of the year for offense will most definietly be a running back ... not only is it the most easy position to learn on the offensive side of the ball

I was doing a little research on this and found out that since 1967 there have only been 7 offensive rookies of the year who were not RBs. Two of them were Viking WRs...Sammy White and of course Moss.

pepper 0n moss
06-28-2004, 10:34 PM
as for rookie of the year [not offensive // defensive but overall] i think i'm gonna go with deangelo hall

reasons?

he has the speed of michael vick and the falcons are placing him as a kick returner // punt returner ... so in addition of making a few picks and making some gamebreaking plays on defense, maybe we'll see him return a few to the house

kramer9guy
06-28-2004, 10:42 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Packers have the rookie punter of the year. Hell, they better!

Echoes of Eddie Johnson...

DiehardVikesFan
06-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Offense: Julius Jones, he will get a lot of carries in Dallas...
Runner Up: Kevin Jones, he should also see plenty of chances

Defense: (I changed it :P) (I don't see a corner winning it, good rookie CB's are hard to find, they take a while to develop)..DJ Williams, he will be able to make a quick splash.
Runner Up: Kenichi Udeze, he won't see too many double teams...

ItalianStallion
06-28-2004, 11:50 PM
How can anyone say that will smith will get it. He is on a team with Howard and grant at ends. The only way he would start is at LB, or due to an injury.

pepper 0n moss
06-29-2004, 12:07 AM
grant?? cie grant?? ... the guy had 3 tackles and played in only 7 games last year!! ... looking at their depth chart, will smith isn't listed as a starter but he will start by mid season and make an immediate impact

sdvikefan
06-29-2004, 12:41 AM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

grant?? cie grant?? ... the guy had 3 tackles and played in only 7 games last year!! ... looking at their depth chart, will smith isn't listed as a starter but he will start by mid season and make an immediate impact

I think he's talking about Charles Grant who had 48 tackles and 10.5 sacks.

pepper 0n moss
06-29-2004, 12:51 AM
oh yeh ... him ... boy am i embarassed ::shrugs::

DiehardVikesFan
06-29-2004, 01:35 AM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

My bad. :oops:

bigdogbovy
06-29-2004, 10:08 AM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

Oh yeah they better after trading up and wasting a 3rd rounder on him he better be the friggin MVP.

Los you have to admit real dumb move

bigdogbovy
06-29-2004, 10:14 AM
The prelim reports on DT are that he's really good. Better than either of the LB drafted in round 1. However, he has good LB in Henderson and Claiborne with him. The guys that stand out like Urlacher and Barnett have average guys next to them. DT will missout. Now uduze has a better shot because he has good guys next to him. Those guys will recieve all the attention of the blockers and give him many shots at the QB.

triedandtruevikesfan
06-29-2004, 10:38 AM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

hahaha los... too funny

muchluv4smoot
06-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Even though I didn't mention udeze, I still am a huge fan of him and think he is gonna be a great DE for us. I see him starting a little slower than we expect though. I think we got a little spoilled last year, when kevin williams did so well, and we think that it is easy for a D-lineman to come in and play well in his first year. Just look at all the d-lineman taken in the 1st last year, williams is the only one that played well. History has shown it actually isn't easy for a rookie d-lineman to do well in his 1st year, with exceptions to peppers, kearse, kevin williams, and some others.

I see guys like Hovan and kevin williams having a bigger year than udeze. Udeze will definately make some big plays out there, but will also struggle at times, at getting past the NFL LT's and double teams. Even if he does struggle at times this year, don't give up on him because he will be the next star at DE in this league. I can show a post from jan 2 of this year, where I said that I thought he was gonna be the next strehan type of pass rusher in the NFL, so i definately thought highly of him way way before the draft or even before the scouts had him in the 1st round of the draft, so I am not high on him just because he is a viking.

VKG4LFE
06-30-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm not into predictions, but the Vikings will win the NFC North, have the number one offense, have a top 15 defense, and Udeze will have the kind of year that Kdub had last year!! Are those predictions? Well maybe I do make predictions!!

sitandbehitski
06-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Offense? Kevin Jones, he'll get the most looks of any Rookie RB on a team with decent passing threats.

Defense? Sean Taylor, the guy is going to be a monster, and there is no reason he can't shine his rookie year.

Purple D
07-01-2004, 11:33 PM
My pick for Offense is Fitzgerald, he is going to have a Moss like rookie year. Just a guess

Defense, I think DT has a great chance if he is as good as alot think he is.

VKG4LFE
07-02-2004, 10:20 AM
I would have to disagree with you pruple d. I don't think Fitzgerald is going to put up huge numbers for a couple of reasons. He has, in essence, a rookie QB throwing to him, there is no running game in AZ whatsoever, and Anquan Boldin will be the number one guy. I hope Fitzy does well, because he is a Minnesota boy, but I just don't think with the offense in AZ he will put up Moss like numbers!! Especially 17 TDs.

silvermane
07-02-2004, 11:12 AM
i may be biased but i really think kevin jones has a good shot at being rookie of the year. he has all the physical tools to compete in the nfl. he is an explosive runner with great speed and agility and is powerful for his size. he needs to develop his instincts but he will have plenty of chances to do that. i just don't think any other rookies will make as big an impact on their team this year as he will for us. kellen winslow will be a close second. he gives the browns a lot of options for their offense.

VKG4LFE
07-02-2004, 11:28 AM
I would have to agree with you silvermane!! He's gonna be a good RB for you guys!!

Purple D
07-02-2004, 12:57 PM
It was just a guess Vkg4lfe. I hope Fitzgerald does real good, But I hope the Cardinals fail miserably.

Maybe Boldin will have an injury.

VKG4LFE
07-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Oh I know it was just a prediction, I was just putting in my two cents!! I'm not trying to rip on your prediciton!!