PDA

View Full Version : Daunte offers to help free up FA money:

vIker44
02-24-2006, 04:00 AM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/13943733.htm

Culpepper said he offered to move his $6 million roster bonus, which is set to be paid on March 17, to another date, to help the Vikings.

"I have made a good faith gesture toward the organization by offering to move my roster bonus around if it will help clear more cap space to sign free agents," Culpepper said. "If I am not traded, I want to help coach (Brad) Childress make a serious run for the championship this year."
+++++++++++++++++

Add this to multiple Vikings players opening "stumping" for the Vikings to keep Pepp so please let's put this whole damn thing to bed..... it's crazy talk... let's move on to Free agents and draft picks.... let's get better.... let's take the next step UP the elite ladder......

Mikecarter81
02-24-2006, 04:03 AM
You know what I got to respect Daunte for that one.

Mike

dr feelgood
02-24-2006, 04:56 AM
Nice move, Daunte, you've been a little stressed lately and gave us a classy statement. Thank you.

DarrinNelsonguy
02-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Good gesture, but I am all posted out on this topic.

PurplePeopleEaters
02-24-2006, 05:00 AM
Great job Daunte. He really cares about the team and it shows here. All the rumors about him wanting to be traded should be gone after this.

Euphman06
02-24-2006, 05:02 AM
Wow, this was a GREAT move by Daunte. This put a lot of faith back into me. This shows real leadership and unselfishness. Way to go, I hope we keep the man, he wants to be here.

NordicNed
02-24-2006, 05:03 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Great job Daunte. He really cares about the team and it shows here. All the rumors about him wanting to be traded should be gone after this.

Nice gesture? or trying to make himself look like the good guy?...

This has really turned into a mess.......

Both sides need to come out in public and make cold hard statements....PERIOD.....Then I'll listen

DarrinNelsonguy
02-24-2006, 05:05 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Both sides need to come out in public and make cold hard statements....PERIOD.....Then I'll listen

Agreed 100%, moving on to new and exciting threads.

COJOMAY
02-24-2006, 05:07 AM
I'm with you Ned. Did PEP do this because he saw what a black eye he had and how fans were turning on him? We KNOW that trade talk wasn't just rumors. To many other teams confirmed it.
I'm just in a wait and see mode.

ultravikingfan
02-24-2006, 05:24 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I'm with you Ned. Did PEP do this because he saw what a black eye he had and how fans were turning on him? We KNOW that trade talk wasn't just rumors. To many other teams confirmed it.

You cannot speak for all fans nor does PP.O represent a majority.

Its a good move on his part and shows a lot of character i and that he wants to stay.

mnjamie
02-24-2006, 05:24 AM
"vIker44" wrote:

Culpepper said he offered to move his $6 million roster bonus, which is set to be paid on March 17, to another date, to help the Vikings.

"I have made a good faith gesture toward the organization by offering to move my roster bonus around if it will help clear more cap space to sign free agents," Culpepper said. "If I am not traded, I want to help coach (Brad) Childress make a serious run for the championship this year."
+++++++++++++++++

Add this to multiple Vikings players opening "stumping" for the Vikings to keep Pepp so please let's put this whole gol 'darnit thing to bed..... it's crazy talk... let's move on to Free agents and draft picks.... let's get better.... let's take the next step UP the elite ladder......

Gullable. CPep's power play backfired on him. Didn't get shiat and realized where his bread was buttered. Problem for him, he still might be showen the door if the right offer comes in.

nogathomasmillarddoleman
02-24-2006, 05:55 AM
Goodbye, Gonete.

PurplePeopleEaters
02-24-2006, 05:59 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"vIker44" wrote:

+++++++++++++++++

Add this to multiple Vikings players opening "stumping" for the Vikings to keep Pepp so please let's put this whole gol 'darnit thing to bed..... it's crazy talk... let's move on to Free agents and draft picks.... let's get better.... let's take the next step UP the elite ladder......

Gullable. CPep's power play backfired on him. Didn't get shiat and realized where his bread was buttered. Problem for him, he still might be showen the door if the right offer comes in.

You speak in riddles. :???: Explain. :lol:

SJHILL
02-24-2006, 05:59 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Isn't that kind of what DC just did?

LuckyVike
02-24-2006, 06:04 AM
I don't know if I should believe he did that out of the goodness of his heart or for personal gain in the long run. I just can't wait 'til all this is sorted out.

cajunvike
02-24-2006, 06:10 AM
A better gesture would be for him to convert his roster bonus to incentive money...oh wait, that would mean that he would actually have to earn it by playing. Seeing as he missed half a season last year and will probably miss half a season this year, he should forego a year's worth of money so that the team can spend it on bringing in players to help OUR team win a championship!!!

Piddling gesture on Daunte's part...not enough to sway me!

I want him to stay and think that he can come back from his injury...but I want to see more from him...a renewed dedication to NOT repeat his performance from last season...and a commitment to study film until his eyeballs bleed if that is what it takes to return to elite QB status!!!

Show me the quan, Daunte...then Wilf will show it to you!!!

Put your mouth where the money is!!!

Mr. Purple
02-24-2006, 06:24 AM
Great move, dont care what anyone thinks. You can think it was all just a ploy for him to save his arse....or maybe he knows how darn close this team is (see shaq) and wants to get a ring as badly as we all do. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I'm not tho....becuz as far as I concerned all this trade talk is nothing but talk...Noone from any team has said or conformed that we where talking to them about trading daunte. Yea it happened with Moss last year, noone thought we where forreal...but if you just think for a second....trading Daunte would be worse then trading Moss. We have the players to make a run now, we dont need to draft some BS rookie and hope he turns into Ben Rothlesburger. GOod move on his part IMO.

olson_10
02-24-2006, 06:34 AM
i really hope hes doing this to really help the team, and not just to clean up his own image

singersp
02-24-2006, 07:03 AM
What it does, by defering his roster bonus, is give the organization more time to shop him before they trade or cut him if they choose.

They had until March 17 to decide, now they have that much longer.

Unless it's on paper & signed that he'll be guaranteed to get it on the postponed date no matter what.

singersp
02-24-2006, 07:09 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

No WE don't know that trade talks weren't just rumors.

Wilf Tells Culpepper, No Trade is in the Works (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2341843)

gregair13
02-24-2006, 08:09 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

A better gesture would be for him to convert his roster bonus to incentive money...oh wait, that would mean that he would actually have to earn it by playing.

I want him to stay and return to elite QB status!!!

Put your mouth where the money is!!!
looks like someone just called him out. he will return to elite. it just better be in purple.

XxS2TheEvoxX
02-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Woo, GREAT news.

I think the media has been pretty harsh in how they've been portraying Daunte.

Let's just worry about the rehab now.

Ddawg84
02-24-2006, 10:51 AM
GOD DAMN... I FRIGGEN LOVE DAUNTE!!! I AM NO LONGER WORRIED AND CAN SLEEP AT NIGHT NOW!!!!

digital420
02-24-2006, 11:15 AM
First off, no matter what is said people will interpet it the way they want.

secondly, I believe that this is a wise move, either he was advized 2 it, or he saw an opportunity to show his good side to the public, (after several bad sides) It also show's that he's understanding the business side of things, which shows me he can think!!!!! now if we can get that thikning to happen game time we're getting a bigger, stronger, wiser QB!!!

thirdly.. I like the guy, as a QB and as a person. if he's going to be the face of the franchise he's gonna hve to become something of a (god i can't believe i'm saying this) <insert name of pill popping ice cream lickin cheesehead QB> of Minnesota.. Mn'rs are gonna hve to LIKE him, resepct him and believe in him.. with this statement he's opening that road a bit more.

DiGiTaL

singersp
02-26-2006, 12:45 PM
"LuckyVike" wrote:

I don't know if I should believe he did that out of the goodness of his heart or for personal gain in the long run. I just can't wait 'til all this is sorted out.

From the Pioneer Press
Don't print that

Posted on Sun, Feb. 26, 2006

Some people believe Daunte Culpepper's offer to move his $6 million roster bonus due date to assist the Vikings with salary cap space is actually a way for the embattled quarterback to try to convert the roster bonus into a guaranteed signing bonus.

The Vikings, who are $23 million under the salary cap, don't need cap space. Minnesota wouldn't gain salary cap space by moving the date of a roster bonus; the only way to gain cap space would be to convert the roster bonus to a signing bonus and amortize it over several years.

If Culpepper is released before March 17, which still seems likely, the Vikings would owe him nothing.

Prophet
02-26-2006, 12:47 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Wilf plans to pay Culpepper's bonus
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:25:02 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said Saturday, Feb. 25, that the team plans to pay QB Daunte Culpepper his scheduled $6 million bonus and have the quarterback on the 2006 roster. Asked if he planned to pay Culpepper his bonus, which is due March 17, Wilf said, "Yes, yes." Asked if he could definitively say that Culpepper will be on the team, Wilf said: "That is our plan, yes. Always was."

singersp
02-26-2006, 12:53 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

KFFL
Vikings | Wilf plans to pay Culpepper's bonus
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:25:02 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said Saturday, Feb. 25, that the team plans to pay QB Daunte Culpepper his scheduled $6 million bonus and have the quarterback on the 2006 roster. Asked if he planned to pay Culpepper his bonus, which is due March 17, Wilf said, "Yes, yes." Asked if he could definitively say that Culpepper will be on the team, Wilf said: "That is our plan, yes. Always was."

Prophet, that has already been covered here in this thread. I wish he would have used a more descriptive title.

Zygmunt Speaks! (http://purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=324240#324240)

njpurple
02-27-2006, 02:13 PM
I am all for keeping Daunte.
But comming in 3 times and trying to get a raise, being absent from your team
Know he will move his bonus around sounds like he his backpeddling

Del Rio
02-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Smart move by Daunte.

Brad Johnson is starting the season and Daunte will have to work harder then ever to be physically able to play. He will also need to seriously hit the books, his teamates, and the coaches if he wants to take over the reigns.

What it all boils down to is if you want the team to win this year you should be rooting for both players to do extreemly well.

vikesoto
02-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Gesture or damage control... it dosen't matter! I hope this whole "trade Culpepper,start Johnson" just gets put to bed.

VikesfaninWis
02-28-2006, 12:28 AM
The way I look at it is this: If we keep Pepp, and he is unable to play say until mid season. This is going to infuriate Johnson to the point that he will tell the Vikings that I am the starter here, or trade me. If Gus Ferotte ends up being released as the rumor has it. Then I say get Gus back to be Johnson's backup until Daunte is healthy.

Then we have a open challenge for the starting spot. If BJ loses out he will want to leave, this will leave us with Gus, and Daunte as our two top QB's. If for some chance the Vikes are thinking about trading Pepp or releasing him, the time is now. We have a great shot at going after Brees, if we don't act on it now we may regret it. The thing is, no matter what direction the Vikes go at QB, they are taking a risk..

NodakPaul
02-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Cajun, would anything be enough to sway you regarding Dante? :wink: Foregoing a year's salary really wouldn't help us either, as it would just give us temporary room in a salary cap that we aren't going to max out anyway.

Actually, what I'm worried about is the Minnesota fans accepting Dante as an elite QB again even if he does perform. Face it, even in his amazing 2004 season he had to deal with fans who criticized everything about his performance. He could come back this year, post a 130+ QB rating every game, have 45 TDs and 0 interceptions, and there will still be people on this site and elsewhere in Viking land saying, "yeah, but it was because of his receivers/o-line/running backs" or "I bet BJ still could have done better."

Off topic, but I think the same thing applies to Smoot. He started off well, but then has two bad games and an injury, and the fickle part of the fan base immediately decides that he is the sole reason we don't have a superbowl trophy (and of course, they never liked him in the first place). Anyone else remember the "Smoooooooot" calls in the dome during the early part of the season?

Here's to hoping that the Viking fans are as quick to celebrate as we are to criticize when the Vikings start rolling over opponents in 2006!

cajunvike
02-28-2006, 01:01 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Cajun, would anything be enough to sway you regarding Dante? :wink: Foregoing a year's salary really wouldn't help us either, as it would just give us temporary room in a salary cap that we aren't going to max out anyway.

Actually, what I'm worried about is the Minnesota fans accepting Dante as an elite QB again even if he does perform. Face it, even in his amazing 2004 season he had to deal with fans who criticized everything about his performance. He could come back this year, post a 130+ QB rating every game, have 45 TDs and 0 interceptions, and there will still be people on this site and elsewhere in Viking land saying, "yeah, but it was because of his receivers/o-line/running backs" or "I bet BJ still could have done better."

Off topic, but I think the same thing applies to Smoot. He started off well, but then has two bad games and an injury, and the fickle part of the fan base immediately decides that he is the sole reason we don't have a superbowl trophy (and of course, they never liked him in the first place). Anyone else remember the "Smoooooooot" calls in the dome during the early part of the season?

Here's to hoping that the Viking fans are as quick to celebrate as we are to criticize when the Vikings start rolling over opponents in 2006!

I am a Daunte fan, believe it or not...but he hasn't shown any leadership qualities since he got hurt. Staying away is not the mark of a leader...he needs to take the bull by the horns (or the Viking by the horns) and inequivocally state that he wants to make this team better....and then show it by being in Minnesota at least SOME of the time. Staying home in Florida and pouting about being hurt is BS...he needs to quit asking for a raise and get ready to play. Strike a deal that IF he comes back and performs at a high level, THEN the Vikes need to pony up BIG bucks! I would agree with that, BUT to ask for more money while he is still in rehab is SELFISH and NOT team oriented. IF he puts his mouth (and performance) where the money is, THEN he should be rewarded by the Vikings organization...OTHERWISE he needs to go somewhere else! It's that simple...I don't want MY TEAM to get screwed...I want them to win the Super Bowl...and carrying dead money (if Daunte never performs at his prior level) is NOT what will get us there!

He should park his contract demands until next season...by then, he will have proven what he can do...anything else is just smoke and mirrors!

singersp
02-28-2006, 02:54 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

I am a Daunte fan, believe it or not...but he hasn't shown any leadership qualities since he got hurt. Staying away is not the mark of a leader...he needs to take the bull by the horns (or the Viking by the horns) and inequivocally state that he wants to make this team better....and then show it by being in Minnesota at least SOME of the time. Staying home in Florida and pouting about being hurt is BS...he needs to quit asking for a raise and get ready to play. Strike a deal that IF he comes back and performs at a high level, THEN the Vikes need to pony up BIG bucks! I would agree with that, BUT to ask for more money while he is still in rehab is SELFISH and NOT team oriented. IF he puts his mouth (and performance) where the money is, THEN he should be rewarded by the Vikings organization...OTHERWISE he needs to go somewhere else! It's that simple...I don't want MY TEAM to get screwed...I want them to win the Super Bowl...and carrying dead money (if Daunte never performs at his prior level) is NOT what will get us there!

He should park his contract demands until next season...by then, he will have proven what he can do...anything else is just smoke and mirrors!

DC is not in Florida pouting as you call it. He is aggressively rehabing his knee & he likes his doctor down there.

Sugarman has been down there & checked him out & likes what he sees.

Childress was at the combine talking about it & he & Sugarman didn't have a problem with it.

So why should anyone else?

His only comment was he'd like to get him up here some time soon to continue rehabing his knee.

COJOMAY
02-28-2006, 03:12 AM
I believe Childress' comment was more about him coming here to study the "system" with the coaches.

Del Rio
02-28-2006, 02:12 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

One amazing year is not enough to make up for many years of epic turnovers for many, myself included. I want to see him consistently produce, and get better. I don't care to see the 4000 passing yards and 30+ Td's if it doesn't get us deep into the playoffs, and he manages to follow up next year with a horrible performance.

What I want to see out of the guy QB'ing my favorite team is constant improvement. Consistency and good decision making. I think a lot of people feel the same way. So you are probably right if he comes out and is "Elite" whatever you deem that is........ then it may not be enough for some.

Very few QB's can be deemed Elite imo that haven't won shit. Daunte isn't going to hit those Elite numbers if he has a great year then a few so so ones. Dan Marino = Elite to the world, Daunte Culpepper = Elite to some Vikings fans that have purple tinted shades.

He has the ability and I want to see him use it, every game, every year. That is why I said last year if he can recover from his injury it may be the best thing that has happened to him. It may force him to become better at things he obviously lacks. He will need those things if he wants to prove he can play in the NFL without Moss. Frankly he has failed miserably at getting that point across thus far.