PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper or Vick

GreenBaySlackers
06-27-2004, 09:49 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=keepculpepperorvick&prov=tsn&type=lgns

I know this doesnt mean much, but it makes you feel good doesn't it!
It's Fantasy football but hey, thats not important...

purplepat
06-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Part of the reason one would choose Culpepper over Vick is the other offensive talent on the team. Obviously, the Vikings have Randy Moss for Daunte to throw to, and all of the RBs are pretty good receivers as well. Peerless Price was a dud in Atlanta last season, although Vick was hurt most of the year. When the rest of Atlanta's offense improves around Vick, he will be a very attractive fantasy league QB.

VKG4LFE
06-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Keep Culpepper regardless!! That's just a biased opinion, but I don't care!!

muchluv4smoot
06-28-2004, 11:51 AM
"purplepat" wrote:

Part of the reason one would choose Culpepper over Vick is the other offensive talent on the team. Obviously, the Vikings have Randy Moss for Daunte to throw to, and all of the RBs are pretty good receivers as well. Peerless Price was a dud in Atlanta last season, although Vick was hurt most of the year. When the rest of Atlanta's offense improves around Vick, he will be a very attractive fantasy league QB.

Vick does have a ton of talent around him on offense this year. He has price, who looked great when he had vick throwing to him at the end of last year, 1st round pick michael jenkins who is a big possession receiver, dez white who is suprisingly being called the #2 WR right now for how good he has looked in camps, and finneran as a #3 or #4 is dangerous there. Throw in one of the most underrated TE's in the league, in alge crumpler and a great receiving back in warrick dunn, and he has a lot of offensive weapons. Most importantly he is in the perfect system for him to succeed, the west coast offense. I look for Vick to have a huge year this year, but daunte should also. I would take daunte over vick for one reason and one reason only, injuries. Daunte has a much less chance of being injured, than vick does. If both stay healthy all season, it could be pretty close, with daunte having more passing Td's and passing yards, but with vick having more rushing Td's and rushing yards.

sdvikefan
06-28-2004, 12:40 PM
I agree with muchluv. Vick will have plenty of people to throw the ball to. Peerless Price didn't make a difference to their offense by himself because he's not a deep threat receiver. He needs to start opposite of someone who is like he did with Eric Moulds in Buffalo. Dez White is a deep threat and Michael Jenkins of course will be their fastest guy. Alge Crumpler is definately the most underrated TE in the league. Vick like Daunte will be a great passing QB that also brings the threat to take off running although he should be doing a lot less running this year than he did two years ago because of his injury.

I would still take Daunte for the same reason as the guy in the article...he has proven his fantasy worth. Vick has a good passing offense around him but I'm not sure that will translate into as much fantasy points, especially TDs, as Daunte will have.

LosAngelis
06-28-2004, 01:48 PM
I'm actually more jaded on Vick than Culpepper. As far as fantasy stats go, he's going to get you decent numbers for sure. I kept Vick on my roster all season so I could have him for the playoffs, and you can take three guesses what he did for me.

muchluv4smoot
06-28-2004, 05:47 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

I'm actually more jaded on Vick than Culpepper. As far as fantasy stats go, he's going to get you decent numbers for sure. I kept Vick on my roster all season so I could have him for the playoffs, and you can take three guesses what he did for me.

Yeah, I also kept vick for the playoffs, but ended up starting mcnair and bulger instead of him, so I wasted a roster spot with him last year. Oh well, I still won so it didn't really matter.

LosAngelis
06-28-2004, 05:52 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"LosAngelis" wrote:

Yeah, I also kept vick for the playoffs, but ended up starting mcnair and bulger instead of him, so I wasted a roster spot with him last year. Oh well, I still won so it didn't really matter.

Lucky. Both Hasselbeck and Vick sucked it up that championship week, and I lost our championship game.

bigdogbovy
06-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Vick is a crappy passer, so long term you'll lose points, but he will run more than pep so you'll get those yards. Really depends on how the fantasy leauge point systems works. If you get big bonuses for more than 200 yds passing or passing pct. then pep

sdvikefan
06-28-2004, 07:05 PM
"bigdogbovy" wrote:

Vick is a crappy passer, so long term you'll lose points, but he will run more than pep so you'll get those yards. Really depends on how the fantasy leauge point systems works. If you get big bonuses for more than 200 yds passing or passing pct. then pep

Vick is a better passer now than he was two years ago, and I doubt he'll be running as much as he did back then.

muchluv4smoot
06-28-2004, 07:08 PM
"bigdogbovy" wrote:

Vick is gonna suprise you and a lot of people this season, by how good he passes the ball. He has the perfect coach and perfect system to succeed in and I think he is goona have a great year again, if he can stay healthy.

bigdogbovy
06-28-2004, 07:19 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"bigdogbovy" wrote:

Vick is gonna suprise you and a lot of people this season, by how good he passes the ball. He has the perfect coach and perfect system to succeed in and I think he is goona have a great year again, if he can stay healthy.

vick is barely a 52% tosser, that just doesn't hack it in a runn and shoot offense. Regardless of the coach it will make him look worse than he is.

muchluv4smoot
06-28-2004, 07:41 PM
"bigdogbovy" wrote:

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"bigdogbovy" wrote:

vick is barely a 52% tosser, that just doesn't hack it in a runn and shoot offense. Regardless of the coach it will make him look worse than he is.

Remember a guy by the name of steve young? Remember what he did before he went to san fran and played in the west coast offense? Vick is the same type of QB that young was then, but he is a better runner. Also vick was a 52% passer, not is. You make it sound like he can't get better. He has improved this offseason, working with steve ,and again will prove you wrong this season, just watch.

RandyMoss8404
06-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Culpepper over Vick :lol:

LosAngelis
06-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Don't get me wrong...I do think Vick will be a superduperstar, and soon, if he can get through his injuries. I just still think Pepper is a better fantasy choice right now.

And, he'd be even better if the Vikings traded Moss.

RandyMoss8404
06-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Then again, the Packers might make the playoffs this year if we traded Moss...so no.

bigdogbovy
06-29-2004, 10:21 AM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"bigdogbovy" wrote:

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"bigdogbovy" wrote:

Remember a guy by the name of steve young? Remember what he did before he went to san fran and played in the west coast offense? Vick is the same type of QB that young was then, but he is a better runner. Also vick was a 52% passer, not is. You make it sound like he can't get better. He has improved this offseason, working with steve ,and again will prove you wrong this season, just watch.

Steve Young was a high 60's even to 70% tosser. Vick has better running yes. But to try to put Vick in the league with a pocket passer like Young? Vick is kordell stewart on steriods. I give him maybe 2 or 3 more years then age will step in and he won't be as fast or as healthy from getting knocked around for all his running.

muchluv4smoot
06-29-2004, 12:30 PM
"bigdogbovy" wrote:

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"bigdogbovy" wrote:

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"bigdogbovy" wrote:

Steve Young was a high 60's even to 70% tosser. Vick has better running yes. But to try to put Vick in the league with a pocket passer like Young? Vick is kordell stewart on steriods. I give him maybe 2 or 3 more years then age will step in and he won't be as fast or as healthy from getting knocked around for all his running.

You might want to check out what steve youngs stats were in his first 4 NFL seasons were. His comp percentage was 52.2% in year 1, 53.7% in year 2, 53.6% in year 3, and 53.5% in year 4. In year 5 however he started a streak of 60%+ years. He did this, in the west coast offense, which is what atlanta is using this year. You compared Vick to steve young in his prime, but I am comparing the 2 at similar ages and when they both started using the west coast offense. like vick, young didn't throw the ball well, yet he excelled in the west coast offense, as i say vick will too.

Also, when steve young came into this league, he wasn't a pocket passer, he was actually the same type of QB vick is, a scrambler. Young ran the ball 114 times in his first 2 NFL seasons.

Again, Vick is improving his passing and the west coast offense will help him out some as well. Vick will have a much better year passing the ball this season.

bigdogbovy
06-29-2004, 01:00 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"bigdogbovy" wrote:

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"bigdogbovy" wrote:

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

You might want to check out what steve youngs stats were in his first 4 NFL seasons were. His comp percentage was 52.2% in year 1, 53.7% in year 2, 53.6% in year 3, and 53.5% in year 4. In year 5 however he started a streak of 60%+ years. He did this, in the west coast offense, which is what atlanta is using this year. You compared Vick to steve young in his prime, but I am comparing the 2 at similar ages and when they both started using the west coast offense. like vick, young didn't throw the ball well, yet he excelled in the west coast offense, as i say vick will too.

Also, when steve young came into this league, he wasn't a pocket passer, he was actually the same type of QB vick is, a scrambler. Young ran the ball 114 times in his first 2 NFL seasons.

Again, Vick is improving his passing and the west coast offense will help him out some as well. Vick will have a much better year passing the ball this season.

Young was passing like that before he was a starter. When you don't have a full year it can mess with the numbers. I respectfully disagree that the WCO will help vick. It can only hurt IMO.

LosAngelis
06-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Could y'all quote a little more each time you post? It's like all deja vu every time I read one!

muchluv4smoot
06-29-2004, 01:07 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

Could y'all quote a little more each time you post? It's like all deja vu every time I read one!

Wait, didn't you just say that?

muchluv4smoot
06-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Young was passing like that before he was a starter. When you don't have a full year it can mess with the numbers. I respectfully disagree that the WCO will help vick. It can only hurt IMO.[/quote]

Vick has only been the starter for one full season, so maybe his #'s were messed with as well?

Young actualy started 5 games in his first year and was the starter all of his 2nd year. He also was a backup in SF for 4 years, and was still able to throw for better than 60%. By not just my opinion, young was helped greatly by the west coast offense, and his #'s prove it. Vick will have the same success, IMO and a lot of others.

muchluv4smoot
06-29-2004, 01:27 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

Young was passing like that before he was a starter. When you don't have a full year it can mess with the numbers. I respectfully disagree that the WCO will help vick. It can only hurt IMO.

Also in 2 years in the USFL, young never passed for better than 58% either, against much less talented d players.

muchluv4smoot
06-29-2004, 01:39 PM
For a good article on the west coast offense, written by steve young, go to espn.go.com/nfl/s/westcoast/popularity.html