PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins, Vikings talking Culpepper trade

F1_error
02-23-2006, 03:21 AM
MiamiHerald.com Article (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/13921500.htm)

Been lurking here at PP for a while now, and this is my first post. I don't know how reliable the Miami Herald is, but this was an interesting read.
Sorry if it's a repost.

cajunvike
02-23-2006, 03:24 AM
Go introduce yourself in the Free Beer thread and receive a proper welcome from the PP.O Welcome Wagon!!!

faninphx
02-23-2006, 03:44 AM
HMMMM....

I don't doubt that Miami wants Culpepper and I'm sure Culpepper would like to play in Miami (seeing as how he grew up/still lives in Florida).

I just really don't see Miami having enough lure to bait CPep away from us. Especially because we don't have anybody to take his place. B Johnson is old enough to be my father (I'm 23).

If Miami could give us a top-five draft pick, I might reconsider. If we trade Pep we would be worse off than they would. Besides, I have a hard time believing any article that begins with "sources say". Especially if that paper has a dog in the hunt.

bigbadjerryball
02-23-2006, 03:51 AM
it would be a sad day in minnesota if cully would get traded. he is the future of our franchise.

Lotza
02-23-2006, 04:08 AM
MAN i f that happened i will punch the wall and then go ice my hand.

snowinapril
02-23-2006, 04:30 AM
I have heard the comment that Saban wants a young QB to groom.

My hunch is they will snag McNair when he is released, possibly, IDK.

He can last for a few more years and by then they can play their draft pick.

Saban has two guys I wouldn't mind giving a chance to play. Whitehurst and Croyle both show promise.

RK.
02-23-2006, 05:00 AM
The Dolphins must be pissed about Ricky Williams flunking his drug test. I think the only thing they had that might have sweetened the pot for this trade was Ricky. But not now. :dink:

DarrinNelsonguy
02-23-2006, 05:27 AM
Same article was posted in the St. Paul Pioneer Press today, big speculation by some in the media now is that Gus will be released (in near future) by Miami and if we trade Pep we will then sign Gus as a backup to Brad.

cajunvike
02-23-2006, 05:41 AM
I don't really want to see Pep go...BUT if it makes our team better to trade him for another player in a position of need...THEN that is what has to be done!!!

BigEasyViking
02-23-2006, 05:43 AM
"bigbadjerryball" wrote:

it would be a sad day in minnesota if cully would get traded. he is the future of our franchise.

I COULDN'T SAY IT BETTER MYSELF!!!!

TheAnimal93
02-23-2006, 05:44 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

I don't really want to see Pep go...BUT if it makes our team better to trade him for another player in a position of need...THEN that is what has to be done!!!

This is pretty much my stand as well. You really dont want him to leave but if the value is there, and the timing right...

SharperVikings
02-23-2006, 05:45 AM
"faninphx" wrote:

HMMMM....

I don't doubt that Miami wants Culpepper and I'm sure Culpepper would like to play in Miami (seeing as how he grew up/still lives in Florida).

I just really don't see Miami having enough lure to bait CPep away from us. Especially because we don't have anybody to take his place. B Johnson is old enough to be my father (I'm 23).

If Miami could give us a top-five draft pick, I might reconsider. If we trade Pep we would be worse off than they would. Besides, I have a hard time believing any article that begins with "sources say". Especially if that paper has a dog in the hunt.

I would have to agree...I would like to know what they would offer us....because now that ricky is our of the question....Best we could hope for from them is draft pick...!

Lucky
02-23-2006, 06:01 PM
I will be crushed if the Vikes give up two hall of fame players two years in a row. I now that Red had something to do with gettin rid of moss so hopefully Ziggy doesn't make another huge mistake!

COJOMAY
02-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Totally different situation between the two. Moss was in his "prime," so to speak. PEP is a real question mark. First of all can he come back from the injury and secondly is he really the great QB his #'s two years ago indicate. Sure didn't look like it last year. (Of course that offensive line had something to do with it.) But he could not seem to read defenses and he has a rap of not being a good study of defenses.

snowinapril
02-23-2006, 06:32 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Totally different situation between the two. Moss was in his "prime," so to speak. PEP is a real question mark. First of all can he come back from the injury and secondly is he really the great QB his #'s two years ago indicate. Sure didn't look like it last year. (Of course that offensive line had something to do with it.) But he could not seem to read defenses and he has a rap of not being a good study of defenses.

Both have/had a negative.

Moss - Attitude (so they say)
DC - Injury

Neither seem to command a blockbuster deal.

Moss was cheap for being in his prime.

VikesfaninWis
02-23-2006, 06:53 PM
"faninphx" wrote:

HMMMM....

Brad Johnson is not from Alabama, thus he is not old enough to be your father. He will be 38 when the season starts, that would put him at 14 when he had you. I got your point though about him not being traded, and I believe that with the recent talks of his teamates, they may think twice about trading him.. LOL

VikesfaninWis
02-23-2006, 06:55 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

And he fumbles alot. That has been the case since he came into the league.

ultravikingfan
02-23-2006, 07:06 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

Its like comparing apples to oranges here. :wink:

Muggsy
02-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Culpepper's progress may trigger trade
<Feb. 23> Culpepper is making very good progress in rehabilitating his right knee, and he should be ready to play football this season, which is positive news for any team interested in trading for him, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports.

According to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins have held talks with the Vikings about a possible trade involving Culpepper. Although no trade can be finalized until March 3, negotiations and a verbal agreement could occur any time.

The Ravens, who have also been mentioned as potential suitors, were contacted by the Vikings, but Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome told the Baltimore Sun that no negotiations have "officially" taken place and no deal was imminent. Newsome did not rule out the possibility that the issue could be revisited.

Meanwhile, ESPN.com's John Clayton claims if the Vikings can't work out a trade by March 17, when Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus, the team might consider cutting him.

Culpepper angered owner Zygi Wilf by asking that approximately $10 million be added to his contract this season -- increasing his total 2006 compensation to a staggering $18 million. Culpepper contends the Vikings promised last summer to address his contract further after the 2005 season; the team has denied that claim.

Oakland and the New York Jets are also among the teams expected to pursue quarterbacks this offseason.
===============================================
If Daunte's rehab is lookin' so good, why should we even think about tradin' him, y'know?

Big C
02-23-2006, 08:33 PM
I think the only reason we're even thinking of trading him is because of his request for more money after a poor season and a very serious injury. Asking for $10 mil more after that was a VERY poor decision on Dante's or his agent's part.

tiersius
02-23-2006, 09:19 PM
I wish ol Pep was talking a little bit more myself. He seems to have done a lot to start these rumors - I'd be curious to know where he stands now.

snowinapril
02-23-2006, 10:54 PM
"tiersius" wrote:

I wish ol Pep was talking a little bit more myself. He seems to have done a lot to start these rumors - I'd be curious to know where he stands now.

Has he really done a lot to start these rumors or was it just his lack of wanting to refute these rumors too numorous to count when he obviously had other stuff to do with his time, LIKE REHAB.

And your wish shall be granted! All your questions will be answered (most anyway):cool:

Culpepper: Wilf said trade talks haven't happened
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Amid continuing speculation about his future, quarterback Daunte Culpepper said today he was assured by owner Zygi Wilf that the Vikings have not spoken to other teams about a potential trade.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13943733.htm

Either DC looks like an ass or
Wilf looks like an ass or
they are both telling the truth!

I hope this thread dies a horrible death. :grin:

Mr-holland
02-23-2006, 10:55 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Amid continuing speculation about his future, quarterback Daunte Culpepper said today he was assured by owner Zygi Wilf that the Vikings have not spoken to other teams about a potential trade.

Either DC looks like an jiggly butt or
Wilf looks like an jiggly butt or

Amen to that

tiersius
02-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Point taken Snow......I actually hadn't seen that link yet.....thanks

Vikes
02-23-2006, 11:40 PM
"Lotzapurple119" wrote:

MAN i f that happened i will punch the wall and then go ice my hand.

Lotz don't do that then you will not be able to make anymore cool SIGS!

VikesfaninWis
02-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Here is some interesting news straight from Moss's mouth. Sorry if this was already posted. I looked for it, but didn't find it.

Moss: Culpepper to Raiders?
Raiders star Randy Moss has heard rumors that former Vikings teammate Daunte Culpeper could be joining him in Oakland, according to FOX SPORTS RADIO.

Moss, appearing on the Drive with Chris Myers and Ben Maller, was asked by Myers if he wanted Kerry Collins to be the Raiders quarterback again next season. "I don't really care. I mean, I'm cool with Kerry. I said it back when I first came. I'm cool with Kerry Collins. I don't have a problem with it but there is - they're talking about Daunte Culpepper comin' to the Oakland Raiders. I have a relationship with Daunte on and off the field, so you know, I really don't care who's my quarterback. I just want somebody to come in there and take us to the Superbowl."

Maller asked Moss if he felt that Daunte was being run out of Minnesota."Man, I can't really say. I haven't really discussed or talked to Daunte about the situation of him leaving Minnesota. All I know is he wants to play football. I think he's a little disappointed with how things are going you know, as far as from a professional and an organization standpoint, but this is a job, it's a business and you really can't let anyone or anything like that get you down. If traded, like myself, you know, I just had to move on and try to make it work, so, that's the advice I would give to Daunte, and you know, if he becomes a Raider then you know, the show is back on."

Randy was asked if new coach Art Shell can make a difference in Oakland. "I'm not even sure. I mean, hopefully! I'm a fan of Art Shell and I paid a little bit of attention to him back when he coached back in the day, but I'm really not that familiar with him as a coach."

Moss appeared on the show to promote his new clothing line that is available online at grabman18.com. "I had a good name going and you know, my taste in fashion, and I just thought that it was just something that I could bring out to the people - just give 'em a little finesse of myself - just tryin' to find a way to give back, man. I think, you know, I got a few things going with this clothing line. I just signed a deal with a Smoothie franchise, so everything is going good man, so I'm doing good in the world right now."

VikesfaninWis
02-23-2006, 11:58 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"tiersius" wrote:

Has he really done a lot to start these rumors or was it just his lack of wanting to refute these rumors too numorous to count when he obviously had other stuff to do with his time, LIKE REHAB.

And your wish shall be granted! All your questions will be answered (most anyway):cool:

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Either DC looks like an jiggly butt or
Wilf looks like an jiggly butt or

Good post. Man, my head is spinning trying to figure what is actually the truth. Like you said, someone is going to look like an a$$ when this is all said and done. It's nice to see that DC actually made a nice jesture by saying that he would take his 6 mil bonus at another time. Now is this being a good team guy, or hoping by making this statement that he gets a better contract?

I find it hard that the Vikes haven't tried to trade him. All of this speculation has been going on for weeks. The Dolphins have said they had discussions, the Ravens, and possibly the Raiders. One way or the other, I can't wait for all of this to be done with.

V4L
02-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks for posting that Snow!

SharperVikings
02-24-2006, 12:41 AM
I really can't wait to see this all pan out....it'll be an interesting process!

snowinapril
02-24-2006, 12:50 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Thanks for posting that Snow!

I have to give credit to another member of this fine community, and here it is from the other C-Pep thread. The bearer of GOOD Tidings!!! He Beat everyone to the punch today. It was just so quietly hidden in that thread, I had to post it in more places.

GQVikesfan is the savior of today.

"GQVikesfan" wrote:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13943733.htm Hmm.. interesting stuff!

olson_10
02-24-2006, 01:08 AM
hopefully this is all true, and not just complete BS on daunte's part..he's done this before though, where something behind the scenes is revealed, and suddenly he comes out and speaks to save his ass..i really hope this is true though that hes really willing to move his roster bonus in order to help this team get another FA

t_13
02-24-2006, 01:11 AM
i got a question.. i thought u cant trade an injured player or sumthin.. dont they hafta pass a physical? ... maybe thats just on madden..

olson_10
02-24-2006, 01:11 AM
"BigEasyViking" wrote:

"bigbadjerryball" wrote:

I COULDN'T SAY IT BETTER MYSELF!!!!
judging by last season, that is not true..if he can come out and lead this team to the playoffs this year and put up some real nice numbers, then yes, he is the future..if he comes out and stinks it up and then gets hurt again, then hes obviously not the future..whether daunte is the future of this franchise or not is undecided..if daunte does what he did this year again, then you will be taking your statement back..im not taking either side, im just waiting to see what hes really got without randy in a REGULAR SEASON game

olson_10
02-24-2006, 01:12 AM
"t_13" wrote:

i got a question.. i thought u cant trade an injured player or sumthin.. dont they hafta pass a physical? ... maybe thats just on madden..
a team has the right to waive the mandatory physical if they want the player badly enough

t_13
02-24-2006, 01:18 AM
oh

t_13
02-24-2006, 01:18 AM
uh i accidentally made another post cuz my computers bein dumb.. just ignore it..

purplegang
02-24-2006, 01:23 AM
heres the problem with pep, i got this off another site,
Daunte Culpepper
QB, MIN ACL, MCL and PCL Surgery - Still recovering from major knee surgery to repair damage to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), medial collateral ligament (MCL), and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) in his right knee. Is doing well in his rehab but he is still a long ways away from being completely healthy. Even if he participates in training camp he won't be at full strength for a long time to come. According to reports there is an outside chance that Culpepper will be cleared to play in August but since he suffered additional ligament damage don't be surprised if he is out until sometime in September or October. The accepted timetable for return from ACL surgery is 9 months, however it usually takes an athlete anywhere from 18 months to 2 years post-surgery before he has made a complete physical and mental recovery. So Culpepper won't be himself until after the 2006 season.

seaniemck7
02-24-2006, 01:53 AM
This may be far fetched, but does anyone think that Culpepper himself could be looking for a trade to Miami? Bear with me here for a second...

Pep gets this notion that he wants a new start after a horrible performance this year, a terrible injury and an ugly Love Boat incident. Here are some things that COULD have happened to make me think that he COULD have ASKED to be traded.

1. Some have made reference to his wife having some input into this idea. She doesn't want to be around for the reprocussions of the Love Boat scandal.

2. Rumors fly around regarding the WCO coming in with Childress and whether Dante can succeed in it. Dante doesn't necessarily want to play in that offense and brings that up to Childress leveraging the fact that Brad could bring in his own guy.

3. Dante fires his agent and to negotiate his own deal. Maybe he wants a man to man discussion with Wilf to state his case for a trade hopefully to Miami.

4. Its reported that Dante asked on 3 different occassions for a $10mil pay increase. Everyone in his/her right mind thinks that its ludicrous for him to ask for this now. This could all be a cover for his talks about seeking a trade.

5. Its been reported multiple times that Pep has been shopped around. Pep comes out today that rumors for the pay raise are unfounded, that Wilf assured him no trade talks have happened, and that he want to help the Vikes with the Cap "IF" he is not traded. If Pep wants a trade and Wilf is willing to give him the trade, they would be in agreement on what their story is to the media. If they are in agreement with a trade already, neither Pep or Wilf would have egg on his face when the trade happens.

6. Pep sures sounds a lot more upbeat as of late with this latest press release. Not to mention he has issued more statements in the past month than he has since the injury. If Pep and the Vikes are working something out to make them both happy (a trade to Miami keeps Pep close to home), Pep is more likely to play the good soldier role to the media. The "I would move my bonus around to help the Vikes" statements it sure sounds like he is doing just that.

I had a few more ideas but forgot them. This is obviously all pure speculation. However after the Moss trade last year, my conspiracy theorist side comes out more often now.

Anyone think this has any merit?

PackSux!
02-24-2006, 02:09 AM
if we keep him he better stay on the bench till he gets 110 percent better.

Anyone Remember Mookie in friday night lights? sorta the same situation, he wanted to come back and play when he thought he was better and then on cut on the field later back to where he started. think that fellas name was Mookie if not you know who i am talking about.

i do not want to see that happen to Daunte.

aceclown
02-24-2006, 02:25 AM
"PackSux!" wrote:

Anyone Remember Mookie in friday night lights? sorta the same situation, he wanted to come back and play when he thought he was better and then on cut on the field later back to where he started. think that fellas name was Mookie if not you know who i am talking about.

his name was boobie, and no that is not a joke, that was his name.

snowinapril
02-24-2006, 02:27 AM
"aceclown" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

his name was boobie, and no that is not a joke, that was his name.

boobie myles

sleepagent
02-24-2006, 03:32 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

This is exactly why he fell to the Vikings in the 1999 Draft. The scouts were concerned about the size of his hands, among other things.

"Culpepper also is one of the few players in the NFL to average over 1 fumble a game." from this link -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daunte_Culpepper

singersp
02-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Posted on Fri, Feb. 24, 2006

DOLPHINS NOTES

Vikings expected to cut Culpepper

BY JASON COLE
jcole@MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins expect Minnesota to release quarterback Daunte Culpepper before the Vikings are scheduled to pay him a $6 million roster bonus on March 17.

Because of that belief, the Dolphins have resisted the offer to trade for Culpepper, who also is scheduled to make $2 million in base salary for the 2006 season.

The Dolphins and Vikings recently discussed a trade for Culpepper. Although no exact compensation was discussed, the Vikings are asking for more than the second-round pick that was reported this month.

Despite those discussions, the Dolphins are not interested in a trade at this point. They are examining a number of quarterback options.

The Dolphins are expected to speak with the agents for San Diego quarterback Drew Brees if the Chargers and Brees are unable to work out a contract extension by the end of next week.

The Dolphins also are monitoring what Tennessee will do with Steve McNair and what Washington will do with Patrick Ramsey.

On Thursday they held further talks with agents Tom Condon and Ken Kremer regarding quarterback Tim Couch.

Condon and Kremer also represent Brees.

Vikings expected to cut Culpepper (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/13948554.htm)

Euphman06
02-24-2006, 02:13 PM
But i thought cpep was letting the team pay him that 6 mill. later so they have more money for FA's?

Mr. Purple
02-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Dont beleive it one bit. If this team releases Culpepper, let alone trades him....wow...I'm gonna be pretty friggin Pi$$ed.

singersp
02-24-2006, 02:57 PM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

Dont beleive it one bit. If this team releases Culpepper, let alone trades him....wow...I'm gonna be pretty friggin Pi$$ed.

It's a mis-leading title & why I didn't start a new thread with it.

It is only the Dolphins who feel DC will be cut.

COJOMAY
02-24-2006, 03:59 PM
This comes from the Miami Herald Newspaper today...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/13948554.htm

The Dolphins expect Minnesota to release quarterback Daunte Culpepper before the Vikings are scheduled to pay him a $6 million roster bonus on March 17.

Because of that belief, the Dolphins have resisted the offer to trade for Culpepper, who also is scheduled to make $2 million in base salary for the 2006 season.

The Dolphins and Vikings recently discussed a trade for Culpepper. Although no exact compensation was discussed, the Vikings are asking for more than the second-round pick that was reported this month.

Despite those discussions, the Dolphins are not interested in a trade at this point. They are examining a number of quarterback options.

6-KINGS
02-24-2006, 04:09 PM
The Cowboys are also still very interested.
There is a little buzz here in DFW.

Just be my luck that he would lead them to the Super Bowl here.
I would NEVER hear the end of that.

NodakPaul
02-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Latest from Wilf (according to Pep) is that the Vikings have not spoken to other teams (See the "Wilf says no trade in works for Pep" thread). I highly doubt that he would be cut, especially with him offering to move his roster bonus around.

COJOMAY
02-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Like we really need that extra money. I suppose it would be nice but it's not necessary.

COJOMAY
02-24-2006, 04:54 PM
This piece from Pro Football Talk makes some sense:

On Thursday, we expressed skepticism regarding a report that the Vikings have received good news as to the condition of quarterback Daunte Culpepper's knee, which included a declaration that he's expected to be ready for the 2006 season.

And now it all makes even more sense.

According to Jason Cole of The Miami Herald, the Dolphins believe that the Vikings will cut Culpepper before his $6 million roster bonus comes due in the middle of March, which is making the Dolphins unwilling to trade for him.

So in order to trade Culpepper, the Vikings need to create the impression that, if they can't trade him, they'll pay the $6 million to keep him. Even if they really won't.

Meanwhile, five members of the team recently spoke out in support of keeping Culpepper in Minnesota. According to Sean Jensen of The St. Paul Pioneer Press, left tackle Bryant McKinnie, tight end Jermaine Wiggins, defensive tackle Kevin Williams, nose tackle Pat Williams, and cornerback Antoine Winfield each said they hope that Culpepper will remain their teammate.

"That's crazy," McKinnie said of the possibility of shipping Daunte out of town. "I don't agree with trading him. Last year, they traded Randy Moss. We already made one mistake [trading Moss]. Don't do it twice. If that's the case, let me go."

Said Winfield: "He's been injured, and he doesn't know his future. If I were him, I'd be like, 'Dang, does this team even want me here?'"

Pat Willliams says he won't buy into rumors and reports of a trade until owner Zygi Wilf confirms they're true. "Our owner hasn't said anything, so I don't believe it," he said.

But, Pat, you've got to realize that the team needs to be discreet about any efforts to shop the starting quarterback and current face of the franchise. If they can't get good value for him, then they need to be able to keep him. So if Wilf calls a press conference to say that they're trying to trade Culpepper, the chances of achieving long-term peace and harmony will be slim and none.

Nearly nine days after word first broke of the possible trade, we've got a feeling that the Vikings might have been only exploring their options as to Culpepper, and that in order to fully understand all of the pros and cons they needed to get an idea of what the trade market would be. So they started calling teams who might be looking for a quarterback.

The problem is that the teams who got the calls had no reason to be discreet. As a result, word got out of the trade talks -- and the only option for the Vikings was to say nothing.

Indeed, the team has not denied the reports, which would be easy to do if the reports aren't true. Instead, the most we've heard is a statement from Culpepper that he's been told by Wilf that there's no effort to trade him.

Still, there very well could be a point in the next week or so that the Vikings decide they won't get what they want for Culpepper, and at that time someone from the organization might announce, via a surgically-precise prepared text, that "there is no effort to trade Daunte Culpepper."

Not that there wasn't; only that there isn't.

whackthepack
02-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I think Daunte has finally taken his head out of his butt, and he sees the writing on the wall. That is why he has come out and said that he will delay the roster bonus until later, if the other teams that are interested in him think the Vikes will cut him before the bonus is due they will not trade for him. Daunte would be a free agent with a bad knee, and coming off a bad season and now he is between a rock a hard place.

A lot of us said this earlier that he should have been in Minnesota saying the right things, and being a team leader. It would have been harder for Ziggy to cut him, and not pay the 6 million bonus without looking like a jacka$$! All C-pep had to do was act the team leader and been supportive of the team and players, and used the media to say how the recovery was going and that he was getting to know the new coaching staff and was looking forward to getting back next year and leading the vikings to a Superbowl! Instead he goes and hides in Florida and asks for a 10 million raise when he should have been praying that he still would get the 8 million! But with his whining and acting like a jerk the Vikes could cut him, and I can not see another team giving him more than 2 to 3 million to sign for a year. If his knee heals well and he can play by the end of next year he may get more the following year, but he may have cost himself a lot of money!

V4L
02-24-2006, 05:51 PM
We won't release him or trade him..

he is gonna restructure his contract and he will be back with us next year.. hopefully is good shape by week 1?! Im hoping he makes a speedy recovery although its VERY unlikely

VikesfaninWis
02-24-2006, 06:19 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

he is gonna restructure his contract and he will be back with us next year.. hopefully is good shape by week 1?! Im hoping he makes a speedy recovery although its VERY unlikely

We for sure won't release him, but trade him? Maybe. Lets face it, you don't just release a guy like DC even if he is injured. By him stating that he would defer his bonus money, that is telling me that he is willing to wait on the money (even though it is guaranteed) to show the Vikings that he can come back from this injury and be good again.

By Pepp stating this to Wilf he might be saying if we hold off on the bonus money, and DC comes back we will actually be in a winning situation. The trade scenarios may not be that great to begin with. If that is the case, wait on the bonus money, keep Pepp and see if he can come back from this injury. It keeps everyone in a better situation. I see us doing exactly that, defering his bonus money, keeping Pepp and seeing what happens next season.

Benet
02-24-2006, 07:04 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Not a chance of that I'm afraid mate. It's gonna be touch-and-go whether Carson Palmer makes it back in time for Opening Day and he only tore his ACL.. Daunte's shredded 3 (out of the 4) Cruciate Ligaments in the knee, and the accepted rehab is about 12 months.

So if he is back in 2006 (and not put on Injured Reserve, which is still a possibility, but too far ahead to contemplate right now) it won't be til October at the earliest.

V4L
02-24-2006, 07:16 PM
"Benet" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Not a chance of that I'm afraid mate. It's gonna be touch-and-go whether Carson Palmer makes it back in time for Opening Day and he only tore his ACL.. Daunte's shredded 3 (out of the 4) Cruciate Ligaments in the knee, and the accepted rehab is about 12 months.

So if he is back in 2006 (and not put on Injured Reserve, which is still a possibility, but too far ahead to contemplate right now) it won't be til October at the earliest.

Yah but Pep got injured WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY before Carson..

Im just being hopeful.. More likley it would be sometime after week 3..

I hear he is making good progress.. Like T-ho coming back before he was slated to

Benet
02-24-2006, 07:18 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Yah but Pep got injured WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY before Carson..

Im just being hopeful.. More likley it would be sometime after week 3..

I hear he is making good progress.. Like T-ho coming back before he was slated to

We can only hope buddy.

Muggsy
02-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Dis kinda stuff makes me head hurt:
=================================================
Given opportunities this week to deny the trade reports, neither Wilf nor coach Brad Childress did so. Wilf, in fact, acknowledged the team is in the process of determining Culpepper's future. A team spokesman said that Wilf would not comment on Culpepper's characterization of their conversation.

"It's all rumors and speculation," said Fran Foley, Vikings vice president of player personnel, who was at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. "We don't have anything to announce."

Regardless of what Wilf told Culpepper, public reports of a possible trade apparently have caused a wider gap between the team and its franchise quarterback.
=================================================
What's goin' on? Dis is like a soap opera, or a Hardy Boys mystery, or sumpin', y'know? It's like some gossip about a rumor involving hearsay innuendo. Kinda like a car wreck. Ya can't keep from lookin' at it. I wish people in da media would just shut up 'bout it until dey get some hard, cold facts.

Mr. Purple
02-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Daunte stated he will be ready bye week 1. I beleive he will, the heart on this guy is huge and I know that he is rehabbing like crazy. I really honestly dont think that anyone in our orginization is stupid enough to release him. I dont want Daunte gone, it would completely change this team's future. We're not in a rebuilding stage, we're not building up to be contenders in 3 years....we got a Superbowl Calibur team right now. The Vikings are gonna have alot of unhappy campers if they move him.

Benet
02-24-2006, 08:58 PM
I hate to be the cynic, but if Daunte is back and playing by Week 1.. I'll post those embarrassing and potentially scandalous pictures of Bill Clinton that I found in his desk-drawer when I was last at his Harlem Offices.

snowinapril
02-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Does anyone know where to find clips of the Holy Grail!

I have to have the I'm not dead yet clip.

I would like to place it here in this thread.

Benet
02-24-2006, 09:08 PM
"I've cut your arm off!"

"No you haven't.. It's a flesh-wound!"

vikesoto
02-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Dosen't mean anything. Every team with a need at QB is saying that they are looking to trade for Daunte.Dosen't mean it's going to happen.

whackthepack
02-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Every body was saying last year that they wouldn't trade Randy, and bam we were hit over the head. As Childress said to day never say never!

singersp
02-25-2006, 12:15 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Every body was saying last year that they wouldn't trade Randy, and bam we were hit over the head. As Childress said to day never say never!

Where did you read that? Did I miss an article on Childress today?

V4L
02-25-2006, 02:21 AM
Vikings | Childress says he wants both quarterbacks in 2006
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:42:59 -0800

Dave Campbell, of the Associated Press, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress asserted that he plans to have both QBs Daunte Culpepper and Brad Johnson on the team this year at quarterback. "That's the mindset," Childress said Friday, Feb. 24, at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. "I don't know anything to the contrary." Childress acknowledged that the team has had inquiries about Culpepper, with the free agent and trading period set to begin next weekend. "That's what goes on this time of year," he said.

skum
03-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Ravens | Team feels Culpepper will not be released
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 06:05:01 -0800

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens officials are resigned to the fact that former QB Daunte Culpepper won't be released by the Minnesota Vikings.

sleepagent
03-02-2006, 04:51 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

Where did you read that? Did I miss an article on Childress today?

Perhaps he was thinking of this article:

Childress Addresses Culpepper Situation

Brad Childress By Tim Yotter

Date: Feb 24, 2006

Brad Childress addressed the Daunte Culpepper situation Friday at the Combine in Indianapolis.

Vikings coach Brad Childress ended the organization’s silence on the speculation that they were considering trading quarterback Daunte Culpepper, but he didn’t give any definitive answers.

“My whole focus is that before we do anything else we’ve got to get him back to health. I spoke to Daunte on Wednesday and it’s important that we get him up to speed football-wise. … You listen to everything that’s going on and find out what’s subterfuge and kind of go from there,” Childress said.

Yesterday in a statement to media, Culpepper wrote that he was assured by Vikings owner Zygi Wilf that the team hasn’t been shopping him.

However, when asked if the Vikings have contacted other teams regarding a trade of Culpepper or if other teams had contacted them, Childress said: “Probably more of the latter. Zygi (Wilf) has made his own statement on that. I just think Daunte is a good football player.”

When asked if the team would give Culpepper the $6 million bonus due in March, Childress would only say that he is due the bonus. Childress said Culpepper’s gesture to move the date of his bonus was a good gesture but wasn’t sure it would be something that was good for the team.

Is there a chance the Vikings would release Culpepper, as the Miami Herald speculated Friday?

“You don ‘t ever say never at this time of year. Never and always are two long periods of time,” Childress said.

Childress said he’s been told Culpepper’s recovery time is nine to 12 months and if Culpepper healed quickly he might be able to start working out fully in training camp. But, “you don’t want to push him into anything,” Childress said. “You want to make sure that’s stabile. That’s a big guy and you want that knee to be solid. He plays it wide open and he’s going to need all his faculties to play it wide open.

“I’d like to see him get up here and immerse himself offensively into this thing. There is a volume and there is a lot of language that goes on with it, and obviously the best place to be would probably be in Minneapolis.

“All my energy is about getting him back to that level of play that he established in 2004. I just want to get him back to that standard.”

While Childress wouldn’t completely confirm or deny the trade speculation, he did acknowledge that it’s the time of year when this sort of talk surfaces.

“Everything is swirling this time of year,” he said.

2beersTommy
03-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Yesterday in a statement to media, Culpepper wrote that he was assured by Vikings owner Zygi Wilf that the team hasn’t been shopping him.

isnt this the same ziggy who told tice his job was safe ? lmao hope he doesnt keep his word on this one either

Del Rio
03-02-2006, 05:01 PM
If I remember right all Ziggy said is he would honor the remainder of Tice's contract. He wasn't fired he just wasn't rehired. His contract ran out thus Ziggy held to his word.

2beersTommy
03-02-2006, 05:05 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

If I remember right all Ziggy said is he would honor the remainder of Tice's contract. He wasn't fired he just wasn't rehired. His contract ran out thus Ziggy held to his word.

true..my mistake

snowinapril
03-02-2006, 05:15 PM
"Benet" wrote:

"I've cut your arm off!"

"No you haven't.. It's a flesh-wound!"

I was thinking of the, "Bring Out Your Dead!" bong, bong.

Where do I put him?

Right here on the cart, hey he's not dead.

Ya He is

No I'm Not

Well he's getting there.

More like that.

DaunteHOF
03-03-2006, 04:37 AM
WE BETTER NOT TRADE DAUNTE CULPEPPER!

I mean I lost Moss, dont take DC11 away from me....

happy camper
03-03-2006, 04:42 AM
"2beersTommy" wrote:

isnt this the same ziggy who told tice his job was safe ? lmao hope he doesnt keep his word on this one either

As Del Rio already alluded to, Zygi said Tice's contract was safe during the season. This was when everyone though Tice would get fired after week 4.

Lando
03-03-2006, 07:42 AM
(March 2, 2006) -- Talks at an extension for the collective-bargaining agreement are back on again, as are talks to trade quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

One NFL team confirmed that the Vikings have begun shopping Culpepper again, ascertaining whether another team would be willing to deal for him.

At this point, it looks as if the Baltimore Ravens won't. The Vikings and Ravens have spoken, but now Baltimore does not seem to have any interest in dealing for Culpepper. Others, however, might.

Daunte Culpepper is working hard, but likely will be in a different uniform next season.
Daunte Culpepper is working hard, but likely will be in a different uniform next season.
One of the major reasons the Vikings even will consider dealing Culpepper is his relationship with Minnesota coach Brad Childress. The two have butted heads, and their relationship is off to a strained start that would need some repairing.

The big concern to other teams is Culpepper's knee. However, those close to Culpepper believe he is going to be completely recovered from his knee injury and that the quarterback is rehabbing almost freakishly. Culpepper appears obsessed to return to the form he had in 2004, not 2005, and is doing what he can during his workouts to ensure this. He already is doing footwork drills on land.

If Culpepper can prove to other teams he is healthy, then the chances of a trade will increase. But there should be some resolution to the story by March 17, the date that the quarterback's $6 million roster bonus is due.

whackthepack
03-03-2006, 05:58 PM
I should specify that I am in the home financing business in the Twin Cities and this is a rumor that is going around the Realtors and finance people.

Daunte had purchased a parcel of land on a lake in the southern suburbs of the twin cities for $800,000.00, he was supposedly suppose to build a new home on the site for around 4 to 5 million. Apparently the lot is now up for sale, and the plans to build the home have been canceled!