PDA

View Full Version : Bennett: 'I won't be coming back'

singersp
02-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Posted on Tue, Feb. 21, 2006

Bennett: 'I won't be coming back'

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Michael Bennett said Monday his tenure with the Vikings is over.

"They told my agent they're going in another direction, so I won't be coming back," Bennett said in a phone interview. "It's disappointing, because you felt you established yourself there and you wanted to be one of those guys who stayed with a team throughout his whole career. But it didn't work out for me."

Bennett's agent, Pat Dye Jr., did not return calls left at his office.
With the expected departure of Bennett, the Vikings have just three running backs under contract: Mewelde Moore, Ciatrick Fason and Adimchinobe Echemandu. Onterrio Smith is fulfilling a suspension and could be reinstated before training camp. Veteran Moe Williams is an unrestricted free agent.

With a glut of elite running backs potentially available in free agency this offseason and several solid prospects in the NFL draft, the Vikings are expected to address their need aggressively at the position.

The conclusion seems fitting for Bennett, though, given his 2005 season with the Vikings. Entering training camp, coach Mike Tice projected Bennett to have a monstrous season as the full-time starter. But Bennett suffered an injury before the season, and he played sparingly at the start of the season. He didn't get his first meaningful start until Nov. 6, when he ran the ball 18 times for 106 yards.

"You get promised all this stuff all offseason, then you work hard, but it seemed like it was all for nothing," Bennett said. "But I'm just going to continue to work hard."

Bennett isn't bitter, leaving the Vikings as their eighth-leading rusher all time with 3,174 yards in five seasons.

"Once I move on, I will always know where my roots are and where everything started," said Bennett, who plans to keep his home in the Twin Cities.

Bennett said he has been working out diligently, "just in case I need to go audition somewhere."

His preferences are Green Bay, which is closer to his hometown of Milwaukee, and Arizona, which is coached by Dennis Green, who drafted Bennett for the Vikings.

"I don't know where I could end up; anywhere, really," Bennett said. "But those would be two great places.

"I want to earn a job and take it from there."

Sean Jensen can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.

Bennett: I won't be coming back (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13921165.htm)

AngloVike
02-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Well spotted - was going to send you an IM about this article !!

"You get promised all this stuff all offseason, then you work hard, but it seemed like it was all for nothing," Bennett said. "But I'm just going to continue to work hard."

I know Tice seemed to favour the RB by committee but then again I'm sure that if Bennett had shown that he was ' the man ' then he would have got the starting spot wrapped up. Even allowing for our OL playing poor Bennett never gave me a warm fuzzy feeling that he could nail down that starting job.

Prophet
02-21-2006, 03:08 PM
I am confident in the new management. They are consistently analyzing the positions and filling in the voids. That seems like an obvious thing to do, but with the recent past management it was beyond their capabilities.

Lotza
02-21-2006, 03:13 PM
he didn't put up the good numbers he needed to stay. so to that i say, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

snowinapril
02-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Denny will bring him on down in AZ. I would put money on it.

Oh well, mixed feeling about it, but I am ready to move on.

digital420
02-21-2006, 03:36 PM
I liked M.b he was a fast little bugger who did as bout as good as possible behiend a non-existent Oline.

well all the Bennet Haters will be happy..

good luck M.B and when you come to face us if u you do... i'll be chantin for the D to take off yer head!!!!!

DiGiTaL

V4L
02-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Ur right Digital.. If we had a decent line he would have been awesome.. And if he was able to run the show alone.. Not splitting carries..

Im gonna miss ya Mikey

ChezPizmo
02-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I've always liked Bennet. It's a shame. :cry:

Lotza
02-21-2006, 04:26 PM
yeah i wish he could stay, but i don't want him to! :razz:

vikingTurf
02-21-2006, 04:35 PM
MOss gone, Pep gone, Bennett Gone.....I am gone :shock:

But seriouslly, it's good that Bennett will be gone. I guess it's nothin amazing to see so much changes under new coach/owner, Hey I still like the name VIKINGS, keep it will ya!

mnjamie
02-21-2006, 04:45 PM
"singersp" wrote:

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

"They told my agent they're going in another direction, so I won't be coming back," Bennett said in a phone interview. "It's disappointing, because you felt you established yourself there and you wanted to be one of those guys who stayed with a team throughout his whole career. But it didn't work out for me."

With the expected departure of Bennett, the Vikings have just three running backs under contract: Mewelde Moore, Ciatrick Fason and Adimchinobe Echemandu. Onterrio Smith is fulfilling a suspension and could be reinstated before training camp. Veteran Moe Williams is an unrestricted free agent.

With a glut of elite running backs potentially available in free agency this offseason and several solid prospects in the NFL draft, the Vikings are expected to address their need aggressively at the position.

The conclusion seems fitting for Bennett, though, given his 2005 season with the Vikings. Entering training camp, coach Mike Tice projected Bennett to have a monstrous season as the full-time starter. But Bennett suffered an injury before the season, and he played sparingly at the start of the season. He didn't get his first meaningful start until Nov. 6, when he ran the ball 18 times for 106 yards.

Bennett isn't bitter, leaving the Vikings as their eighth-leading rusher all time with 3,174 yards in five seasons.

"Once I move on, I will always know where my roots are and where everything started," said Bennett, who plans to keep his home in the Twin Cities.

Bennett said he has been working out diligently, "just in case I need to go audition somewhere."

His preferences are Green Bay, which is closer to his hometown of Milwaukee, and Arizona, which is coached by Dennis Green, who drafted Bennett for the Vikings.

"I don't know where I could end up; anywhere, really," Bennett said. "But those would be two great places.

Bennett: I won't be coming back (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13921165.htm)

After I see this one singer, I have a prediction. We will not draft a rb in rounds #1 or #2 and we sign E.James. There it is, lets wait for it to come true.

audioghost
02-21-2006, 04:46 PM
I got an autographed Bennett jersey...hopefull he goes on and is successfull, I want the value to increase on that bugger..!

whackthepack
02-21-2006, 04:55 PM
I was very happy when we drafted Bennett I thought that he would become an every down back, and be a star in the league! His 1,300 yard season and a trip to the pro-bowl looked very promising, but then the injury bug hit and with the Vikes drafted the whizzinator and Bennett couldn't stay healthy enough to carry the load. When the whizzinator got suspended for the year and we needed Bennett to step up and be the man, he couldn't. So I am sorry to see him go, but I do think it is the best for the Vikes and him! They need to go their separate ways and we need to find that work horse that can carry the rock 25 times a game and put up 1,400 to 1,500 yards a year.

cajunvike
02-21-2006, 05:11 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

I got an autographed Bennett jersey...hopefull he goes on and is successfull, I want the value to increase on that bugger..!

I wouldn't hold my breath... :lol:

You might have a better chance to make money on some Enron stock instead! :lol:

VikesfaninWis
02-21-2006, 05:21 PM
3,174 Yds in 5 seasons? That sucks! I don't care who you are or how often you are injured, or if you are apart of a RB by Committe. If you have 3,174 Yds in 5 seasons, you need to hit the bricks.

What did he think was going to happen? That the Vikes were going to break the bank on him and make him the starter. Please, I mean if E James would have had say 4,000 yds for the Colts over his 6 seasons do you think that the Colts would have stuck the franchise tag on him last season? I think not.

I will agree with that previous statement, that by the sounds of it, the Vikings are going after a well known RB in Fa, and not the draft. Good it is about time we have a every down back that knows how to get the job done, and doesn't get hurt after every play. Whether its GB, or ARI, good luck MB in the future...

snowinapril
02-21-2006, 06:04 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

After I see this one singer, I have a prediction. We will not draft a rb in rounds #1 or #2 and we sign E.James. There it is, lets wait for it to come true.

I thought that at first, but then I said to myself, they might just be eliminatinig the question marks concerning the quantity of backs that we already have. We shouldn't sign another one to a contract when we have 2 under contract now.

I don't think you can just say we are going to get EJ or SA and hang your hat on it. If we didn't have CF, OS and MM, we would probably be signing MB for another year or two.

We actually wouldn't need to go after a RB in the draft or FA and we would still be alright. We probably wouldn't have a stud RB, but we would have depth and they would probably perform well as long as we get teh line solid. MM and OS kick some butt even when Moss was out of the line up with injuries in 2004.

I think everyone is just looking at last year. Get our line back in order and play some smash mouth football up front. Running is attitude, and we lost that for some reason in the confusion of who was going to start.

UTVikfan
02-21-2006, 06:43 PM
I am really happy for Bennett. Maybe he can move on and actually have someone block for him. Or not fall off the treadmill. Oh well. Bet he does do good where he goes. There are only so many freak accidents that can happen.

Benet
02-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Gotta follow the majority of the sentiments expressed here; Bennett was a back who could take it to the house on any given play, but he lived and died by his speed, and when he couldn't bust a move.. He died. Unfortunate because he always came across as a decent man, hopefully he'll find a place in the NFL that will utilise his talents and get him back to his 2003 form.

LuckyVike
02-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Well, most of ya'll know how I feel about Michael Bennett so I'm going to go ahead and do this.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! WHO'S YOUR DADDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CynicalVike
02-21-2006, 07:05 PM
I hope he gets a chance to finally play behind a good Oline. It was always fun to see him hit the secondary and kick it into high gear......BYE BYE!

PurplePackerEater
02-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Another first round pick bites the dust! :sad:

Ltrey33
02-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Gee, what a shame. :boohoo:

It stinks that it didn't work out for him, and for us for that matter, but I won't miss him.

SheyD11285
02-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Hurrah! Bye Bye Bennett!

singersp
02-21-2006, 08:27 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

I agree. With this coming to fruitation, I feel it forces the Vikings hand to sign an established RB.

There's no word out on Onterrio yet & Memo still has injury issues every year, so I believe they'll sign somebody.

I'm not saying it'll be Edge, but he does provide more bang for the buck over Sean.

Wiggles67
02-21-2006, 09:52 PM
I really liked Bennett as a person, he always impressed me with his interviews and seems like a good guy with a good head on his shoulders. Unfortunately, I havent had a Vikings player fursturate me as much as he did in a very long time. I wish him the best but am happy to see him go.

snowinapril
02-21-2006, 10:02 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

I agree. With this coming to fruitation, I feel it forces the Vikings hand to sign an established RB.

There's no word out on Onterrio yet & Memo still has injury issues every year, so I believe they'll sign somebody.

I'm not saying it'll be Edge, but he does provide more bang for the buck over Sean.

IMO(gut feeling):
S.A. is going to be a Seahawk next year. They will meet somewhere in the middle, maybe a little closer to S.A's desired $, and he will finish his career in Sea.

cajunvike
02-21-2006, 10:08 PM
It's simple...Bennett has NO VISION...so he will NEVER be an elite NFL RB...sad but true...time for us to move on and get a back with the vision to find the holes and get the four or five YPC that our offense needs from its ground game...if we want big plays, we need to get them via the passing game...and that will be set up by the every down RB that can get us the four or five YPC each time he touches the ball!

ejmat
02-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Word Cajun. Agree 100%

BBQ Platypus
02-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Good. I was hoping he wouldn't. His tendency to get injured made him a liability even in an offense that suited him, and this offense does not suit him without Randy Moss in it to keep eight men out of the box.

SharperImage42
02-21-2006, 11:13 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we cant lose bennet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yah right..

farewelll michael, you aint gotta go home, BUT U GOTTA GET THE HELL UP OUT OF MINNESOTA PEACEEEEEEEEEE

* i say green bay signs him, and we shoot his leg, and let him fall off a treadmill again* wat a joke, i still dont believe that happened to him

i_bleed_purple
02-21-2006, 11:22 PM
He's finally gone. I would always hold my breath whenever he was in the game. hopefully this means the end of our running back by committee thing

VikesfaninWis
02-21-2006, 11:24 PM
"SharperImage42" wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we cant lose bennet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yah right..

farewelll michael, you aint gotta go home, BUT U GOTTA GET THE HELL UP OUT OF MINNESOTA PEACEEEEEEEEEE

* i say green bay signs him, and we shoot his leg, and let him fall off a treadmill again* wat a joke, i still dont believe that happened to him

His wife probably beat on him. To embarassed to say anything. lol

TARKenton
02-21-2006, 11:27 PM
See ya Mr. Bennett. Oh, could you please help Mr. James carry in his bags? Thanks Mike, we always knew you were good for something besides knee surgery research.

NordicNed
02-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks M. Bennett, for all you have done.....

I always liked MB., and for some reason I believe we only got tastes of what he can do here and there...

I wish him luck and a succesfull future.....

That is unless he goes to GB,. then I hope he pulls a hammy ever third week....

Bring on the Edge I say..........Could this be the direction we are heading in?.......

Vikes
02-22-2006, 12:17 AM
So long MB...I will miss you on Madden.

Tanner_QBRB8
02-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Bennett had one good season and it was a good one but he hasnt improved and i do think that now is a good times to just give up on him

jackyl
02-22-2006, 12:28 AM
Can't say that I'll miss him.

coreyd
02-22-2006, 12:30 AM
Thank god!!!!!

RK.
02-22-2006, 12:46 AM
That reminds me I need to do some pruning and get rid of the dead wood in the garden. :wink:

aceclown
02-22-2006, 12:58 AM
If bennett can stop fumbling and get a chance behind a solid line, he could be special.

VikesfaninWis
02-22-2006, 01:01 AM
"RK." wrote:

That reminds me I need to do some pruning and get rid of the dead wood in the garden. :wink:

lol.. You sure will miss him.

DEEP PURPLE
02-22-2006, 01:23 AM
"QUOTE" wrote:

Praise the Lord, for he does listen in my time of need.

Its about time they let that joke limp off into the sunset. :salute: :thebirdman:

Mr-holland
02-22-2006, 01:25 AM
"DEEP PURPLE" wrote:

"QUOTE" wrote:

Its about time they let that joke limp off into the sunset. :salute: :thebirdman:

Amen to that

ChiTownVike
02-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Thats fine by me

Have fun sucking wherever you go!

gregair13
02-22-2006, 01:32 AM
"Mr-holland" wrote:

"DEEP PURPLE" wrote:

"QUOTE" wrote:

Amen to that
thank the lord

DEEP PURPLE
02-22-2006, 01:42 AM
"RK." wrote:

That reminds me I need to do some pruning and get rid of the dead wood in the garden. :wink: :laughing3:

ItalianStallion
02-22-2006, 01:45 AM
Maybe now well stop trying to use him in "special situations" to "highlight his speed" all while ignoring the fact that we have more complete running backs that are losing carries.

DEEP PURPLE
02-22-2006, 01:56 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Maybe now well stop trying to use him in "special situations" to "highlight his speed" all while ignoring the fact that we have more complete running backs that are losing carries.

The only "special situation" he should be in is when the short bus stops by the stadium to pick him up.

collegeguyjeff
02-22-2006, 02:07 AM
why is bennett telling us this now? we knew this half way through last season.

nogathomasmillarddoleman
02-22-2006, 03:23 AM
That's what wrong with these long threads. Let's just beat on him.
In his 1200 yd season, he was real good. The man got hurt and couldn't hit the holes as fast anymore; even though he is still young. On top of that, no line and no consistent opportunity which drew him one year older; a missed opportunity.
Like any of you know what it's like!! Let's just leave it at that!!

As far as EJ, in my opinion, I don't know why so many are wanting him so bad. We are all into it enough to know that he is definitely on the downside of his career (with a major injury also). That being said, I give MM and CF a major boost as far as winning a starting job. Don't make judgements when there is nothing to make them on. The Vikes have always drafted fairly consistently, and obviously, there was a reason. None of us know just how good these 2 might be and from what I see, if Mewelde gets a chance, could be a star in this league.

cajunvike
02-22-2006, 03:26 AM
"nogathomasmillarddoleman" wrote:

That's what wrong with these long threads. Let's just beat on him.
In his 1200 yd season, he was real good. The man got hurt and couldn't hit the holes as fast anymore; even though he is still young. On top of that, no line and no consistent opportunity which drew him one year older; a missed opportunity.
Like any of you know what it's like!! Let's just leave it at that!!

As far as EJ, in my opinion, I don't know why so many are wanting him so bad. We are all into it enough to know that he is definitely on the downside of his career (with a major injury also). That being said, I give MM and CF a major boost as far as winning a starting job. Don't make judgements when there is nothing to make them on. The Vikes have always drafted fairly consistently, and obviously, there was a reason. None of us know just how good these 2 might be and from what I see, if Mewelde gets a chance, could be a star in this league.

MB's main problem is that he doesn't know how to find the holes...Edge DOES! It's that simple...Edge is WAY better...and still capable of doing more than MB the rest of the way!

vikesoto
02-22-2006, 07:29 AM
Good bye, thanks for nothing !! "...With the 17th pick, the Minnesota Vikings select LenDale White, running back from USC.."

V-Unit
02-22-2006, 07:32 AM
I loved Bennet's style of play, but he just never got the job done. Then again our whole offense really wasn't getting the job done. When that happens, change is inevitable. Him leaving is just one part of that change. Although I don't like it, I understand the reasoning behind it.

I like Bennet too much to bash him, and I wish him luck wherever he ends up.

olson_10
02-22-2006, 08:21 AM
my question is..when did he ever "establish" himself here? he mentions doing that, but i never saw that happen..apparently losing the starting job 10 times in 3 seasons is what he calls establishing himself

aceclown
02-22-2006, 08:42 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

my question is..when did he ever "establish" himself here? he mentions doing that, but i never saw that happen..apparently losing the starting job 10 times in 3 seasons is what he calls establishing himself

after his pro bowl appearance in 02.

gregair13
02-22-2006, 08:53 AM
i forgot my happy dance with my first post

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/gregair133/7EDoinTheHappyDance7E.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/gregair133/awesomedance.gif

AngloVike
02-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Ok I'll give him the fact that our OL was poor last year. Having said that even when the OL was playing well he just didn't do it for me.
Yes I know that he has fast speed and that, given the break, then will fly past any defender and take it to the house. However those sort of opportunities don't happen every time a RB carries the ball and a lot of their carries are going to be the moves up the middle to gain two or three yards. IMO when those plays occur then he was never in a position to take them fully as he was always looking for the chance to turn on the burners, by the time he realised that the hole was there then it was in the process of being shut down by the defence. Thats why he often looked to be dancing about behind the OL, I'm not sure if it was because he couldn't read what was happening quick enough or whether he is just not the kind that will really push up the middle as RBs need to do.
Maybe people that saw him play for Wisconsin can comment on that - was he always a speed RB because of their schemes there or did he also push forward as well ?
In the right scheme he may well yet put up big numbers but I just don't see that he will be doing that here. Wherever he goes though I wish him well as he certainly isn't a problem off-field as some players seem to be in the league.

V4L
02-22-2006, 03:42 PM
There's alot of garbage being talked in here!

olson_10
02-22-2006, 03:55 PM
"aceclown" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

after his pro bowl appearance in 02.
okay..so then losing your starting job 10 times after that establishes yourself here? we had an awful season that year, and that was before we had any other RB's here that posed any threat to him..all he has established is that he is injury prone and terribly inconsistent

6-KINGS
02-22-2006, 03:58 PM
I like Bennett but he can go rush for 43 yards a game with some other team for 10 games out of a season.

olson_10
02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
all bennett ever "established" in minnesota is that he can have one good season with nobody biting at his heels to steal his starting job, and then tank it from there..sure he did have injuries, but he never came back from them to impress anybody..id rather us save the money (even if hes cheap) and use it on a special teamer or add it to whatever offer we are preparing for edgerrin james

olson_10
02-22-2006, 04:00 PM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

I like Bennett but he can go rush for 43 yards a game with some other team for 10 games out of a season.
exactly

whackthepack
02-22-2006, 04:42 PM
In the Paper today was 3 more players that were told they would not be back with the Vikings.

1. Shaun Hill
2. Ralph Brown (could they be thinking of franchise tagging B-Will)
3. Cory Withrow

I was not upset with any of these cuts and so far like how the personal department and coaching staff is going about their jobs. Withrow was a free agent last year and nobody had interest in him, if it wasn't for Tice he would have been out of the NFL.

UTVikfan
02-22-2006, 05:23 PM
This is going to be just like the Linehan, etc. threads. There was thread after thread after thread of how bad Linehan sucked. Then a year later after he leaves, everyone (ok NOT everyone) wants him for head coach.

MB will go have a great year somewhere else, and everyone will say how great he was. Somehow they forget all the hate. /shrug whatever. Hate on.

mnjamie
02-22-2006, 05:29 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

In the Paper today was 3 more players that were told they would not be back with the Vikings.

1. Shaun Hill
3. Cory Withrow

I was not upset with any of these cuts and so far like how the personal department and coaching staff is going about their jobs. Withrow was a free agent last year and nobody had interest in him, if it wasn't for Tice he would have been out of the NFL.

I dont know, I liked Ralph Brown. But, maybe they think he cant handle the cover 2 ... but, IMO I thought the guy had some talent.

Displaced_Viking
02-22-2006, 06:17 PM
I agree. I liked Brown as our nickelback. And from what I remember, most of our other CBs are fairly young. Maybe there's some hidden talent.

I hope we get a decent new RB. I don't think Edge is the way we want to go. Sundays just aren't the same without football. How far away is the draft again?

ejmat
02-22-2006, 09:15 PM
For the people saying Edge is in the dowside of his career, I'll take 1500 yards every season if it's the downside. The same people said the same thing last year about him and Shaun Alexander. I'll take what both of them did this year every year.

If you are sticking up for Bennett, that's fine. The bottom line is he didn't produce much in MN. Yes he made the probowl for the 2002 season. You are alwyas quick to blame the OL for the rest. Remember the other RBs we have were behind the same OL he was. They were a lot more consistent than Bennett. Through injury and everythng else. Let's face the fact Bennett hasn't amounted to much and it's time for him to move on. I like the guy and wish him well but I'm not upset over his departure.

cajunvike
02-22-2006, 09:26 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

For the people saying Edge is in the dowside of his career, I'll take 1500 yards every season if it's the downside. The same people said the same thing last year about him and Shaun Alexander. I'll take what both of them did this year every year.

If you are sticking up for Bennett, that's fine. The bottom line is he didn't produce much in MN. Yes he made the probowl for the 2002 season. You are alwyas quick to blame the OL for the rest. Remember the other RBs we have were behind the same OL he was. They were a lot more consistent than Bennett. Through injury and everythng else. Let's face the fact Bennett hasn't amounted to much and it's time for him to move on. I like the guy and wish him well but I'm not upset over his departure.

WELL SAID, ejmat!!! :grin:

tastywaves
02-22-2006, 09:37 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

1. Shaun Hill
3. Cory Withrow

I see Tomlin signed one of his db's from Tampa (Ronyell Whitaker).
http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_OBJECTNAME_SignWhitaker22106.html

Not much experience with Ronyell, don't what the plans are for him (dimeback, depth, practice squad....), but maybe why they let Ralphie go.

Prophet
02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
I find it hard to believe that any RB would have been successful (measuring success in 100 yd plus games) with the Vikings system over the last many years. If you get the ball relatively little compared to the run-oriented teams you won't have much of an opportunity to rack up the yards.

ItalianStallion
02-22-2006, 10:43 PM
I really doubt that Bennett will earn a starting job somewhere next training camp (unless Denny signs him), so it might be hard to for him to show us up.

Most people here are still happy Hovan is gone. Why? Because we got somebody better. I don't think it will be too hard to get someone better than Bennett this offseason.

RandyMoss8404
02-22-2006, 10:48 PM
We already have someone better - Mewelde Moore.

Oh and hi, I've been gone forever :-p

whackthepack
02-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Welcome back 8404, hope you are doing well!

singersp
02-23-2006, 02:02 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I really doubt that Bennett will earn a starting job somewhere next training camp (unless Denny signs him), so it might be hard to for him to show us up.

Most people here are still happy Hovan is gone. Why? Because we got somebody better. I don't think it will be too hard to get someone better than Bennett this offseason.

I'm not happy Hovan is gone, but I am glad we got P-Will. Frankly I wish we had them both with this new coaching staff.

Speaking in general terms & not player specific, It does make it easier to see a player go when you you have someone better to replace them, but what I hate is when a good player gets released & someone of less caliber is brought in to replace them.

We might see a share of that this offseason in looking at our free agents.

We will know by tomorrow who will be our tagged franchise player.

wv__viking__fan
02-23-2006, 02:06 AM
A move might be good for all parties. Bennett might do well with a fresh start. Depending on what we do with our RB situation it should be a good move for the Vikings as well.

ejmat
02-23-2006, 02:21 AM
Thanks Cajun. Welcome back Moss 8404.