PDA

View Full Version : why did we pass on lesner

vegasvike
06-25-2004, 02:49 AM
I don't get it didn't Brock lesner run like a 4.7 and is close too 300 lbs?
So he has speed, strength, and a DESIRE to play for the Vikings? I heard that there was no space for him, how many TE's do we have?
:argue:

hawaiianvike21
06-25-2004, 05:09 AM
First off hes not playing the tight end positon, he trying for d-line, second he doesnt have much experience, some high school football and that its. Third, he got into a motorcycle accident i believe and has slowed him down physically. Fourth, im not sure we would want to sign someone like him with no knowledge of pro football ie defensive schemes, etc.

I honestly dont think well pick him up, if we do, hell get cut after pre-season. I think tice would sign gilbert brown instead of him.

VikingsTw
06-25-2004, 05:41 AM
Yeah i mean, its such a huge jump just going from college to the pros imagine goin from high school, to the pros after not even playing football for 6 or 7 years hes crazy for doin what he is doin, but hey whatever makes him happy

SixKings
06-25-2004, 06:28 AM
It's possible, even if he showed "raw" skill, the Vikes may have made room on the prctice squad for him at the least. They did talk about his lack of technique during the workout....

little redhead
06-25-2004, 08:17 AM
I think Vegas Vike knows that Brock doesn't play tight end. I think his point was that Mike's Tice's biggest reason/excuse not to sign Brock was that he would have to take away someone elses job because there was not a roster spot for him. I think Vegas Vikes comment was that we have a surplus of tight ends so possibly they could have cut one.

I am sure someone will pick Brock up and it will be interesting to see what he does.

bigdogbovy
06-25-2004, 10:16 AM
vegas was saying wee have aton of TE's on roster so there's room.

however, the [primary reason we passed on lesnar is that currently he is injured. He couldn't finish the workout. second, his hand and footwork aren't up to snuff with NFL. He needs a year or so in the areana or NFLE, but he doesn't want it

triedandtruevikesfan
06-25-2004, 10:43 AM
I would like to give the guy a chance, but I can see the reasoning why we won't. Just because he is a high profile name doesn't mean that he should get a chance. Look at all the college kids that worked their asses off to make the NFL and didn't. If Brock doesn't have the talent, he should be treated the same way

purplepat
06-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Pretty much it boils down to that the guy, while being a great physical specimen, doesn't have the technique and football skills to even be a 4th stringer on this team right now. And he still had lingering effects of his motorcycle accident, as well as a pulled groin, that prevented him from even completing his workout with the Vikings.

His "skills" are apparently so poor right now, that he isn't even a good candidate for the practice squad. Tice advised him to hire a former NFL defensive lineman to coach/train him in the techniques necessary to play defensive line. If Lesnar can overcome his injury better, and show some skill development, there may be an outside chance that he could be signed as a practice squad player at the end of training camp.

At his age, however, by the time he is skilled enough to compete (that is, actually see playing time), he will probably be pushing 30. That's around the time when a lot of players physical skills start eroding. So you have to ask...can this guy really help me down the road, or is it too much investment for too little return?

ndakvikefan
06-25-2004, 04:51 PM
I think that was vegasvikes point. The thing he does not understand is that the vikes are going without a fullback this year and running a 2 tight end set. This means they do need more TE's and Farmer is already gone so there are not as many open spots as it seems

pepper 0n moss
06-25-2004, 08:03 PM
let's just hope that we don't end up regretting this if he signs with another team and dominates [highly unlikely, but hey, the NFL proves year in and year out that anything is possible]

hawaiianvike21
06-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Were going to need those tight ends in the long run, especially if we run tice's favorite two tight ends. We need the depth for it, thats prolly a reason we wont sign him.

Besides he hasnt even played college ball.

NEvikingsfan90
06-25-2004, 11:10 PM
well, its not rite going from HS to Pro, less expeirience is one, like, going from state championship to superbowl, Hed have no crowd control(meaning hed get annoyed or hurt by the crowd), and despite his size, there was probly better prospects in the draft for TE

dan3ski
06-25-2004, 11:27 PM
He is not NFL material so let's put this one to rest!

amavikesfan
06-27-2004, 04:49 PM
well first of all i don't know what to think of all these people comming out and saying it's probably for the best we didn't sign him. i argued this point for about 3 weeks with you people. and now you are all changing your minds? that's nice.
second, we have like 80 players signed right now for camps. just because there are 7 or 8 tight ends now does not mean that is what we plan on having on the final roster. i swear i think some of you have no clue about football.
sorry about the rant, but i find some of these turnarounds very offensive