PDA

View Full Version : 06-07 linebackers

vikings11_27
02-18-2006, 10:04 PM
i think its safe to say that we need help at LB, but it might not be that bad. EJ can move back to MLB then we draft an OLB, and the 3rd spot can be battled for between dontarious thomas and napoleon harris (i think both will fit better in the tampa cover 2)

waddu guys think?

singersp
02-18-2006, 10:11 PM
"vikings11_27" wrote:

i think its safe to say that we need help at LB, but it might not be that bad. EJ can move back to MLB then we draft an OLB, and the 3rd spot can be battled for between dontarious thomas and napoleon harris (i think both will fit better in the tampa cover 2)

waddu guys think?

Listening to the NFL channel, they said there will be 4-7 linebackers going in the 1st round.

I'd like us to snag one of them. A.J. Hawk sounded awesome.

vikings11_27
02-18-2006, 10:14 PM
hes supposed to be one of the best prospects at LB in years

his scouting report is here - http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/ajhawk.html

but he is probably a top 5 pick, top 10 at the very most

LuckyVike
02-18-2006, 10:14 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"vikings11_27" wrote:

waddu guys think?

Listening to the NFL channel, they said there will be 4-7 linebackers going in the 1st round.

Too bad Hawk is locked in as a top 10 pick, he would be great.

singersp
02-18-2006, 10:16 PM
"LuckyVike" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"vikings11_27" wrote:

waddu guys think?

Too bad Hawk is locked in as a top 10 pick, he would be great.

They mentined 3 others as well. They all sounded like fast LB's that could pretty much fill any of the 3 spots.

vikings11_27
02-18-2006, 10:22 PM
chad greenway and demeco ryans have to be there, im not sure of the otehr one, maybe ernie sims?

COJOMAY
02-18-2006, 10:23 PM
According to Vic Carucci these are the top 5 linebackers in the draft:

1. Derrick Johnson, Texas, Outside

Positives: Speed, play-making ability, ball skills, instincts, ability to diagnose plays, tackling, height (6-foot-3), long arms … He is not only the best linebacker in the draft, but the best defensive player in the entire college crop, and his game-changing impact should make him a top-five pick.

Negatives: Handling running plays directed straight at him, upper-body strength.

2. Shawne Merriman, Maryland, Outside (underclassman)

Positives: Size (6-4, 272 pounds), pass-rushing, instincts, intensity, leaping ability, open-field tackling, outside run stopping … Although he surprised more than a few player personnel evaluators by electing not to work out at the National Scouting Combine, Merriman still offers enough elite talent as a pass rusher to be selected in the middle of the first round.

Negatives: Hand placement, ability to gain leverage on offensive linemen, vulnerability to play action.

3. Darryl Blackstock, Virginia, Outside (underclassman)

Positives: Initial quickness, change-of-direction skills, intensity, discipline, recognition skills … His talent is good enough for him to become a low first-round choice or early second-rounder.

Negatives: Lower-body strength, ability to gain separation from blockers, overall technique against the run.

4. Channing Crowder, Florida, Inside (underclassman)

Positives: Man-to-man coverage of running backs, intensity, instincts, big-hitting ability … He is very raw and probably should have remained in college for one more season to fully develop his skills, yet he does have the talent to likely become a second-round choice.

Ask Vic!
Have a question for Vic on anything NFL related? Don't just sit there -- send it to AskVic@nfl.com, and the best questions will be answered throughout the season right here on NFL.com!

Negatives: Lower-body strength, ability to shed blockers, discipline and accuracy in making reads.

5. Kevin Burnett, Tennessee, Outside

Positives: Size (6-2, 239 pounds), speed, athleticism, man-to-man coverage of running backs, tackling … His stock didn’t suffer because of the calf injury that prevented him from working out at the combine; he should be a solid second-rounder.

Negatives: Recognition skills, closing speed as a pass rusher.

I am shocked he doesn't mention Hawk!

vikings11_27
02-18-2006, 10:27 PM
thats last years

vikings11_27
02-18-2006, 10:27 PM
merriman was ROY i think

COJOMAY
02-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Oh CRAP! I just posted it witout even looking. Boy do I feel dumb!

vikings11_27
02-18-2006, 10:36 PM
just go to http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/olb.html

singersp
02-18-2006, 10:37 PM
"vikings11_27" wrote:

chad greenway and demeco ryans have to be there, im not sure of the otehr one, maybe ernie sims?

I do believe those were the other 3 that were mentioned. The 1st two for sure.

vikings11_27
02-18-2006, 10:39 PM
does anyone know if the MLB has to be fast for the tampa 2? or is it just the OLB?

nephilimstorm
02-18-2006, 10:39 PM
I think trade down for AJ HAWK...yeah keep dreaming Nephy lol

singersp
02-18-2006, 10:41 PM
"vikings11_27" wrote:

does anyone know if the MLB has to be fast for the tampa 2? or is it just the OLB?

I believe ALL the linebackers need to be fast for the cover 2.

vikings11_27
02-18-2006, 10:43 PM
is EJ gonna be too slow then? cause i think hes gonna have a great year next year

vikings11_27
02-18-2006, 10:44 PM
if hes in the vikes plans that is

magicci
02-18-2006, 10:59 PM
i think napoleon will also do better in the tampa 2 because he is fast and that what we need fast LB's. I would really like to get Peterson. But DT EJ and Napoleon have so much potential together. I just wish they can get the mental part down. I would totally love if they did because we would have a great LB group. They look like our future, and i know it sounds stupid but it is very possible.

alberta_vike
02-18-2006, 11:12 PM
vikings11_27 wrote:

The Middle Linebacker has to be very fast in the Tampa 2, as he has the responsibility to cover the middle of the field in a deep zone. Read this thread (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18497&highlight=tampa++defense+defence) if you want to learn a bit about the Tampa 2.

ultravikingfan
02-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Get rid of Crapo and we'll be fine.

Or, at least show him how to play football. :wink:

magicci
02-18-2006, 11:25 PM
didnt someone say nap was a frequent visitor here?

collegeguyjeff
02-18-2006, 11:29 PM
i think we need one free agent linebacker, we need someone who fits the new scheme and someone who knows what they are doing; then draft a linebacker after a tackle at 17

singersp
02-18-2006, 11:30 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Get rid of Crapo and we'll be fine.

Or, at least show him how to play football. :wink:

Napoleon should be exiled! :grin:

vikings11_27
02-18-2006, 11:38 PM
"alberta_vike" wrote:

vikings11_27 wrote:

The Middle Linebacker has to be very fast in the Tampa 2, as he has the responsibility to cover the middle of the field in a deep zone. Read this thread (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18497&highlight=tampa++defense+defence) if you want to learn a bit about the Tampa 2.

thanks for the link

ultravikingfan
02-18-2006, 11:42 PM
"magicci" wrote:

didnt someone say nap was a frequent visitor here?

If he is/was, then he knows how we feel about him.

Plus, the fact that Napo58 wants to marry him.

gregair13
02-19-2006, 01:37 AM
OLB 1 A.J. Hawk SR 6-1/240/- Ohio State Centerville, OH
OLB 2 Chad Greenway SR 6-4/235/- Iowa Mount Vernon, SD
OLB 3 DeMeco Ryans SR 6-1/225/- Alabama Bessemer, AL
OLB 4 Bobby Carpenter SR 6-3/255/- Ohio State Lancaster, OH
OLB 5 Ernie Sims JR 6-0/230/- Florida State Tallahassee, FL
OLB 6 Thomas Howard SR 6-3/240/- UTEP Lubbock, TX

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=9&c=12&yr=2006&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=27

tjohnson
02-19-2006, 01:57 AM
I really like Carpenter from OSU: a solid tackler w/ a big body who plays w/ a lot of poise and intensity.

It be too early to take him at 17, hopefully he'd slide to the 2nd round.

vikings11_27
02-19-2006, 02:56 AM
he jsut came off of a major ankle injury though

BigMoInAZ
02-19-2006, 05:50 AM
Regardless of how Scout.com rates this years crop of LB, this draft is gonna be a defensive coordinators dream!

My personal list of the entire LB corp in this draft and how I would rate them on my draft board would look like this:

1. Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa - Best of the bunch IMHO
2. A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio St - Pretty darn good too, reminds me of Katzenmoyer, sure hope he has a better career than the Katz Man
3. Bobby Carpenter, OLB, Ohio St. - If Bobby wasn't injured he'd actually rate higher than A.J. in my list. Bobby Carpenter should have a long and fruitful career in the NFL.
4. Abdul Hodge, MLB, Iowa - A beast and solid Cover 2 MLB. Is gonna be a steal in the second round!
5. Thomas Howard, OLB, UTEP - If this kid wasn't so raw, he very well could have the greatest potential of all the LBs in this years draft! He's cat quick, strong as an OX, covers and recovers well for having limited experience.

Personally I would want the Vikings to select someone like Chad Greenway, Bobby Carpenter, or Thomas Howard over any of the other LBs in the field for IMHO they have the greatest skills and talent for even greater potential at the next level! JM2CW!

PS - That was too funny COJOMAY!

vikings11_27
02-19-2006, 06:48 AM
carpenter and howard over hawk???? i dont think so

nogathomasmillarddoleman
02-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Relax guy's.
We're going about this like we have no talent at all at linebacker; WE DO. It gonna, ultimately, be up to the coaches whether they think the players are smart enough, especially at middle. There's speed all around at linebacker, and we drafted well there. I forsee a budding star, either DT or EJ.
Strong safety, in this scheme, is key; and I want Tank.

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
02-20-2006, 03:45 AM
I like Sims, Howard and Jackson for our Tampa 2 scheme.

*Didn't mention Hawk.

skum
02-20-2006, 04:46 AM
I think that Napo and EJ could do well in tamba2 - but not Thomas - he's basicly been a bust.. i hope we get either Carpenter or Ryans .. or some of the MLB's Jackson or Hodge!

V-Unit
02-20-2006, 05:58 PM
"nogathomasmillarddoleman" wrote:

Relax guy's.
We're going about this like we have no talent at all at linebacker; WE DO. It gonna, ultimately, be up to the coaches whether they think the players are smart enough, especially at middle. There's speed all around at linebacker, and we drafted well there. I forsee a budding star, either DT or EJ.
Strong safety, in this scheme, is key; and I want Tank.

We need more than just talent at this point. I don't think drafting will help much because we do have talent at the spot and they are pretty young. What we need is a new LB from the FA market that can step in as a leader and a defensive captain. Someone who can recognize plays, call audibles, give the D a real attitude, and intimidate from day one. Such a player would be much more effective than any rookie LB.