magicci
06-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Who thinks Daunte will be MVP material this year

magicci
06-22-2004, 08:55 PM
He is in my mind better than McNair

kramer9guy
06-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Let's hope he has mastered the use of those small hands he possesses because it all depends on how many INT's and fumbles he has this year (that is if he stays healthy the majority of the season). It seemed like he had better control of his mistakes last year (forget the Raider game). Let's hope that progression keeps happening this year. I really like Daunte and hope he plays better than ever this season. All you naysayers can shove it. Daunte is our guy and we are lucky to have him.

Go Vikes!!!

TheFloridianVikingFan
06-22-2004, 10:35 PM
i couldnt agree more, i definatly think he is mvp material.

dan3ski
06-22-2004, 11:20 PM
I will wait and see he needs to play the best season of his life to win mvp. I will be happy to see the Vikings in the NFC finals.

purplepat
06-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Definitely MVP material. Vikings QBs last season (Daunte was hurt for 2 1/2 games) racked up I think 32 TDs (and had far fewer INTs than Brett Favre). The Vikings need to take care of the W-L record, but the offense figures to be at least as good as it was last season (when it was #1 in the NFL), and should be better with a healthy Michael Bennett, a healthy Marcus Robinson (instead of a hobbled D'wayne Bates) and a more seasoned Nate Burleson, and a potential receiving threat at TE in Jermaine Wiggins. If Daunte can keep the TOs low, he's got an excellent shot.

bigdogbovy
06-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Typically a NFL QB comes into his own in his 5th year. If last year is an indication of how Pep will be the rest of his carrer I say hell yeah he's MVP material.

purplehorn
06-23-2004, 11:35 AM
After a pro bowl season last year, I say most
definatly MVP material. I for one am glad
he's not on our oppositions team.

Semperfi Vike
06-23-2004, 11:42 AM
The MVP will be given to Daunte this year, he will really blossom this year. I just hope now that he has been wiser throwing the ball, he will be able to hold on to it. bad case of fumble-itis. But he is the man. With an OL like ours and the recieving threats we have and a VERY deeeeeeeep backfield. Could and should be his best year thus far. :wav:

VKG4LFE
06-23-2004, 12:48 PM
The MVP won't be given to Daunte he will EARN IT, if not this year, it will happen sometime in his career!! I also have to agree with magicci, he is better than McNair, and McNabb in my mind!! I can't wait to see the year he is going to have!!

RandyMoss8404
06-23-2004, 01:20 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

The MVP won't be given to Daunte he will EARN IT, if not this year, it will happen sometime in his career!! I also have to agree with magicci, he is better than McNair, and McNabb in my mind!! I can't wait to see the year he is going to have!!

Easy on that, but he has his chance to prove his worth this year. I'm rooting for him, let's see it.

UkViking
06-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Pepp will be MVP material this year especially as most aspects of his game improved last season.Could be a big season for him.

josdin00
06-23-2004, 04:20 PM
I think it all depends if he has learned how to maintain an even keel. If he can control his emotions, and not the other way around, then he has the talent to pull off an MVP season.

muchluv4smoot
06-23-2004, 04:20 PM
"UkViking" wrote:

Pepp will be MVP material this year especially as most aspects of his game improved last season.Could be a big season for him.

Daunte will be even more familiar with our offense next season, and he is studying film over this offseason again, like last offseason. Hopefully he will be better at reading D's. Unfortunately, the MVP won't be based just on daunte's play, but by our D's play and our record. Obviously if daunte has a better year #'s wise, we should have a better record, but our D needs to play good, and we have a good record. If daunte continues to progress, as he did last year, and our D plays up to there potential, then daunte has a shot at winning the MVP.

sdvikefan
06-23-2004, 04:53 PM
I see no reason why Daunte can't be the MVP this year. He has everything he needs on the offense. He has plenty of physical assets and like muchluv said he works to become more familiar with the plays each offseason.

After last year I beleive that whatever Daunte decides to improve on, he can. His goal last year was to throw less picks, be more cautious with the ball, wait for his receivers to get open, don't force things to happen. He did all that and threw less picks than just about everybody including Tom Brady and Brett Favre. This year he needs to work on studying defenses before the snap and reading the field after the snap, and I'm sure he will improve those things.

DiehardVikesFan
06-24-2004, 12:37 AM
I'd put my money on Moss of all Vikings to win MVP.

krijgerm
06-24-2004, 03:53 AM
we need him ot lead us to the superbowl. I couldn't care less if he got MVP

hawaiianvike21
06-24-2004, 04:57 AM
I think i look foward to moss or cully being mvp of the superbowl and not the regular season if you know what i mean. :D

Manning and mcnair showed us that it doesnt matter if your mvp, your not guaranteed a spot in the superbowl.

packmanxxxi
06-24-2004, 07:45 AM
MVP????? lol... you mean Daunte "Ain't nothing without Moss" Culpepper?

Come on guys. They only way he wins MVP is if he doesn't have Moss and still puts up the numbers. Compairing him to McNair is insane. And to Manning or Favre? He's not even in the same class. When he proves it WITHOUT Moss, then write about MVP. He will also need a Running game to counter him having to run all the time. Bennett? your kidding right?

bigdogbovy
06-24-2004, 10:36 AM
"packmanxxxi" wrote:

Come on guys. They only way he wins MVP is if he doesn't have Moss and still puts up the numbers. Compairing him to McNair is insane. And to Manning or Favre? He's not even in the same class. When he proves it WITHOUT Moss, then write about MVP. He will also need a Running game to counter him having to run all the time. Bennett? your kidding right?

I'd reply directly to this inanity (not misspelled look it up). However, I know your just blowin' smoke as a pack fan.

purplepat
06-24-2004, 11:31 AM
"packmanxxxi" wrote:

Duh, Culpepper's all-time QB rating is HIGHER than Favre's!

I guess you also believe that without Ahman Green last year, Brett Favre would have been a below average QB, and the Packers would have been lucky to go 4-12. Right???? Or without Reggie White, Antonio Freeman, and whoever the Packers had at RB, there is no way that Brett could have EVER led the Packers to two Super Bowls.

If you think Favre won three MVPs with absolutely no other talent around him, then you are an idiot.

And yes, thank you, Michael Bennett is a quite good NFL running back. The Vikings had the #4 rushing attack in the NFL last season (right behind the #3 Packers), and the Vikings led the NFL in rushing in 2002. If you don't believe the Vikings have a running game, you are in serious denial.

RandyMoss8404
06-24-2004, 11:39 AM
:roll: How informative purplepat

SKOL
06-25-2004, 08:09 PM
"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:

I'd put my money on Moss of all Vikings to win MVP.

I'd like to see Moss win the MVP too. Unfortunately, it may take 2,000 yards to do it. Receivers never seem to get the credit they deserve. I don't believe Rice took the MVP, even when he was 1,800+.

Of course, Moss may be able to reach 2,000 yards..., IF HE WANTS TO.

triedandtruevikesfan
06-25-2004, 08:25 PM
I'd just like to see someone on our team get it... even a rookie of the year would make me happy

LosAngelis
06-25-2004, 10:50 PM
MVPs tend to go to winners, so the first key to getting any of your guys an MVP would be to make the playoffs and go far. Not trying to be a jerk, just stating facts. When Favre won the MVPs, he went to two SuperBowls and the second round of the playoffs in each of those years.

I don't think you have to win the whole thing, but you do have to go far to get the attention. Thus, my point...focus on winning, not on awards. They awards will come if you win.

NEvikingsfan90
06-25-2004, 10:57 PM
well, I think Moss helps cully, but hes a great quarterback no matter the recievers, when he played for cfu, he almost beat the 1997 Nebraska Cornhuskers by himself, if it wasnt for the greatness of the 2nd half comeback at NU, they(CFU) woulda won. No player is great becuz of another, Cully, is perhaps, the best QB in the NFL, no matter his recievers, personnally, i like Moss's playing, but he, in turn, is a premadonna :rr:

RandyMoss8404
06-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Excuse me sir, but Moss IS Cully. If you look at some of Culpepper's throws, if it wasn't Randy Moss catching them they'd be very, very incomplete.

NEvikingsfan90
06-25-2004, 11:03 PM
excuse me, but Cully was a great QB b4, a good reciever just helps, without cully thered be No QB at Minnisota

purplepat
06-26-2004, 12:13 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

MVPs tend to go to winners, so the first key to getting any of your guys an MVP would be to make the playoffs and go far. Not trying to be a jerk, just stating facts. When Favre won the MVPs, he went to two SuperBowls and the second round of the playoffs in each of those years.

I don't think you have to win the whole thing, but you do have to go far to get the attention. Thus, my point...focus on winning, not on awards. They awards will come if you win.

As usual, you've hit the nail on the head.

Don't forget, fellow Viking fans, that Randall Cunningham won the MVP in 1998. I think Tarkenton won it in 1975, and Alan Page won it in 1972 I believe (becoming the first defensive player ever to win MVP).

RandyMoss8404
06-26-2004, 06:06 PM
"buck" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Excuse me sir, but Moss IS Cully. If you look at some of Culpepper's throws, if it wasn't Randy Moss catching them they'd be very, very incomplete.

Until Daunte can: 1)Read the field, 2) see open receivers 3) do something
other than choke in the red zone 4) hold on to the ball and most important.....be a leader on the offense and bring the team back when they are behind................he will be miles from an MVP.

This man wins the prize.

Deleted_User_2360
06-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Viking Spirit................You think Brady is the most overrated QB in the
league???? What were you doing , riding your bicycle
when he was winning two superbowls. Let me guess, you
don't like his stats. Wake up1 It's all about winning.