PDA

View Full Version : Vikes Promote Economic and Stadium Development Plan

COJOMAY
02-17-2006, 02:51 AM
http://vikingscmap.atomicplaypen.net/DAM_public/7282.jpg

The Minnesota Vikings promoted their economic development plan for The Minnesota Sports, Retail and Entertainment Center to the Blaine City Council Thursday, February 16.

Within the presentation, the Vikings unveiled plans for a 740-acre development that includes retail shops and restaurants, residential housing, space for small businesses, corporate offices, a hotel, a medical facility and 260 acres of preserved wetlands, all of which will surround a new retractable-roof stadium for Vikings football and other sporting events throughout the year. Vikings' Owner and Project Developer Zygi Wilf also described his vision for the project, which includes $1 billion in private investment.

"This project is a tremendous economic opportunity for the city of Blaine, Anoka County, the Twin Cities area and the state of Minnesota," said Wilf. "We're offering to invest $1 billion in private capital toward a development that will bring in millions of visitors each year, add thousands of jobs to the economy and build the area's infrastructure."

Along with Wilf, Crawford Architects' Partner David Murphy presented the team's current masterplan and development concepts.

"The proposed Minnesota Sports, Retail and Entertainment Center represents the latest trends in mixed-use development," said Murphy. "It is an entertainment destination that will serve as a catalyst for development in Anoka County and Blaine for years to come."

To finish the presentation, SRF Consulting Group Principal Michael Monahan detailed the project's traffic and infrastructure issues.

"Appropriate transportation and other infrastructure planning is key to a successful development," Monahan said. "SRF is excited to work with the City of Blaine, Anoka County, Rice Creek Watershed District, MnDOT and other agencies to identify concerns and solutions on this project."

For more information go to: http://vikings.com/news_detail_OBJECTNAME_BlaineRelease21606.html

MrGopher16
02-17-2006, 02:54 AM
Looks pretty sweet!

VikesfaninWis
02-17-2006, 03:20 AM
Man, I hope this happens.. If they get this deal done, this will be the nicest stadium in the NFL hands down.

COJOMAY
02-17-2006, 03:48 AM
Ya, know I'll bet if Wilf paid for the whole thing the stupid state legislature would find some way to put a halt to it!

UKVikingMike
02-17-2006, 03:50 AM
Very nice, is it just me or does it seem to have an oriental look to it?

nephilimstorm
02-17-2006, 04:05 AM
Blessed thee Wilf...this vision is awesome...I hope I see it happen here soon

singersp
02-17-2006, 04:21 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Ya, know I'll bet if Wilf paid for the whole thing the stupid state legislature would find some way to put a halt to it!

Wilf & the rest of his "private investors" will be pumping a lot of there own money into this project above & beyond the $280 mil they kick in for the stadium & in building the business within & around the complex & stand to make a hell of a lot of money in doing so.

He's not simply "chipping in" out of the kindness of his heart, it's a business deal where he can make money.

But it will be good for the State, the community & the Vikings organization & I can't see why they're dragging there feet on it over a 70 cents per $100.00 dollar sales tax.

singersp
02-17-2006, 04:52 AM
Posted on Thu, Feb. 16, 2006

Wilf dangles plan for $1B development - if stadium built first

Associated Press

BLAINE, Minn. - In the not-to-distant future, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf hopes his football stars will be playing amid the Northern Lights.

Wilf's new stadium dreams have grown into a proposed commercial development project, dubbed the Northern Lights at Blaine. Wilf and his partners could throw $1 billion into the complex, according to team vice president Lester Bagley.

Officials in the northern suburb were gathering for a sneak preview Thursday night, but the most important audience is probably at the Capitol. Wilf, a New Jersey developer who bought the franchise last summer, needs state and county money to make the project fly.

The cornerstone is a $675 million stadium that would allow the Vikings to flee the Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis. Wilf has committed $280 million to the stadium and wants public money for the rest.

"But the $1 billion (investment) doesn't happen without the stadium piece of it," Bagley added. "The stadium is the anchor."

The surrounding development would include retail shops, corporate offices, residential space and a medical facility, Bagley told the Star Tribune, which viewed the team's drawings of the proposed development.

Ron Holch is an organizer of a group fighting the current stadium plan because it doesn't call for a public vote. He said Wilf's logic doesn't make sense.

"If he's bringing all this money in, why doesn't he build his own stadium? If this is such a good deal for us, why isn't he paying for it?" Holch asked. "There's something wrong with this picture when a rich guy says, 'I'm going to help you out. Pay for my stadium.'"

Top state leaders have said the Vikings are third in line in the new stadium hunt, behind the Twins and University of Minnesota football squad. House Speaker Steve Sviggum, R-Kenyon, has said he doubts the Vikings plan would be voted on this year.

But Wilf has aggressively pursued it anyway. Bagley said Wilf met two weeks ago with Gov. Tim Pawlenty and again Tuesday with Pawlenty chief of staff David Gaither.

"The governor has expressed that we're open to further communication," said Pawlenty spokesman Brian McClung. "We've got a lot on the plate for what will be a short session, but we've committed to having additional discussions with the Vikings."

The Blaine site totals 740 acres. About 400 acres are considered developable, and Wilf has half of that under contract.

Bagley said if the entire site were developed as planned, the total pricetag for the project would be between $1.4 billion and $1.5 billion

Stadium (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/state/13887789.htm)

singersp
02-17-2006, 05:13 AM
There are two animated images of the new stadium in this link.

Look below the pic of the new complex.

One shows the stadium area & the other animates the roof retracting

Animated Videos of New Stadium (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/13889557.htm)

NordicNed
02-17-2006, 05:26 AM
Please explain to me how people can't see the positives to this?..

.07 cents on the $100.00....

Hell, We pay in CT., .07 cents on the $1.00 for our purchases.......

SharperVikings
02-17-2006, 05:48 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Man, I hope this happens.. If they get this deal done, this will be the nicest stadium in the NFL hands down.

Agreeeed!

i_bleed_purple
02-17-2006, 05:48 AM
man that is such an amazing stadium they're proposing. they would be crazy not to go for it. it also says that Zigi would be willing to pay 1 billion, that's 2/3 of the price. that would attract soo much business and tourism it would be crazy. if the state/whoever else would give the last 500million, they would probably make it all back by the end of the next year. I really hope this goes through

singersp
02-17-2006, 05:59 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

I think you mean 70 cents on the $100.00 & you pay 7 cents on the $1.00.

It would be a 0.70% tax increase.

gregair13
02-17-2006, 07:16 AM
holy god that thing is huge. i guess the shopping place is for the women who dont get football. zilf sure goes big.

canadian_vikes_fan
02-17-2006, 07:20 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

We pay 14 cents per dollar!

7 to the country and 7 to the province. I hate it!

i_bleed_purple
02-17-2006, 07:49 AM
"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:

"VikingNed" wrote:

suck it up in Ontario we pay 15 cents to the dollar
7 to the country and 8 to the province. (damn conservatives)

olson_10
02-17-2006, 07:53 AM
this plan would bring a crazy economic boost..the government would have to be insane to turn it down

FuadFan
02-17-2006, 07:57 AM
That looks like a nice place it looks like he's sticking with the retractable roof but sadly aren't we still behind the Twins and Gophers for this? It will be tough to get some sense in that Minnesota government to get this done.

olson_10
02-17-2006, 08:04 AM
i dont want to lose the twins, which is the one thing that stinks in all of this

audioghost
02-17-2006, 08:41 AM
We should get the new Twins and Vikings stadiums, then worry about the stupid Gophers....heck, the Gophers can have the dome all to themselves, what do they have to worry about...they're a university, not a business like the Vikes or Twins that relies on revenues from these games....in fact, most colleges lose money on sports from year to year....so WTF???

I hate the Gophers and I hate college sports in general, there is no way that a school facility (unless used for EDUCATION) should get in the way of a business making its bread....colleges shaft everyone so bad on tuition & fees, room & board, its unbelievable! Let the stupid college buy its own stadium, cuz the Vikes and Twins bring in TONS of South Dakotans, Iowans, Nebraskans, North Dakotans, and Wisconsin ppl to YOUR pathetic, get nothing done state to spend tons of our money there and if your stupid arse state gov't doesn't see that than they should tuck their dongs between their legs and walk backwards through a cornfield, cuz that would make about as much sense as blackballing the Vikings stadium push!

RANT OVER!

Prophet
02-17-2006, 01:54 PM
http://vikingscmap.atomicplaypen.net/DAM_public/7282.jpg

It appears to me that if the NFL ever chooses to go intergalactic the Vikings will be ready.

Nightgaunt
02-17-2006, 04:05 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

We should get the new Twins and Vikings stadiums, then worry about the stupid Gophers....heck, the Gophers can have the dome all to themselves, what do they have to worry about...they're a university, not a business like the Vikes or Twins that relies on revenues from these games....in fact, most colleges lose money on sports from year to year....so WTF???

I hate the Gophers and I hate college sports in general, there is no way that a school facility (unless used for EDUCATION) should get in the way of a business making its bread....colleges shaft everyone so bad on tuition & fees, room & board, its unbelievable! Let the stupid college buy its own stadium, cuz the Vikes and Twins bring in TONS of South Dakotans, Iowans, Nebraskans, North Dakotans, and Wisconsin ppl to YOUR pathetic, get nothing done state to spend tons of our money there and if your stupid arse state gov't doesn't see that than they should tuck their dongs between their legs and walk backwards through a cornfield, cuz that would make about as much sense as blackballing the Vikings stadium push!

RANT OVER!

Agree 100%, how in the feck do the Gophers get ahead of the Vikings in Stadium isues. Am i missing something here? Please enlighten me. When was the last time that POS team has seen the light of a decent bowl to be even considered for a new stadium? I can see the Twins getting 1st dibs, they play there game hard and can compete with the big boys with the pennies them boys are being payed comparted to other top Pro Baseball teams. And they have brought home the big daddy a few times in the last 20 years, WTF have the gophers ever done for this state?

NodakPaul
02-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Man I can't wait for the new stadium. I hope and pray that the Minnesota goventment doesn't screw this up...

PurplePumpkin
02-17-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm all for the New Stadium. but also a little confused... Minnesotans already pays .07 sales tax to the state. The stadium will raise our taxes another .07 ?

This figure doesnt make since to me. How do they come up with that? So we'll be paying 14 cent on the dollar? and if so... for how long?

I Want a New Stadium!! but doubling our taxes doesnt seem right. I'm not saying that I'm not willing to pay. I just dont understand that it cost the same to fill our Minnesota politicians pockets,fund our schools,fix our roads...etc. Costs the same as funding 1/3 of the Stadium.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question I'm just Dazed and Con
fused.

NodakPaul
02-17-2006, 05:38 PM
No, the sales tax is 70 cents on $100, which works out to less than a penny a dollar. It is only a .007% increase, and it would only be applicable on purchases in Anoka County. Basically it means that a $0.99 bottle of pop would cost $1.07 instead of $1.06 after taxes...

And it isn't a stupid question. I wish more people who did not know would ask instead of just assume. The biggest opposition to the stadium deal is misinformation. There are people out there saying that a new stadium deal would keep grandma from being able to buy her medication and Junior out of clothes... but it just isn't the case.

Hopefully the PR firm that Wilf hired will be able to shed some light on the subject.

PurplePumpkin
02-17-2006, 06:51 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

No, the sales tax is 70 cents on $100, which works out to less than a penny a dollar. It is only a .007% increase, and it would only be applicable on purchases in Anoka County. Basically it means that a $0.99 bottle of pop would cost $1.07 instead of $1.06 after taxes...

And it isn't a stupid question. I wish more people who did not know would ask instead of just assume. The biggest opposition to the stadium deal is misinformation. There are people out there saying that a new stadium deal would keep grandma from being able to buy her medication and Junior out of clothes... but it just isn't the case.

Hopefully the PR firm that Wilf hired will be able to shed some light on the subject.
Thanks for the info... I knew I was misunderstanding something.
That dont seem that much at all. I say we pay $1.08 for that bottle of pop and get the Twins their Stadium too.

Come on Governor Tim Pawlenty its time to step up to the plate and Git-R-Done!

VikesfaninWis
02-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Does anyone have an idea what the new stadium if built will be called?

snowinapril
02-17-2006, 07:25 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

More than likely, they will sell the right to someone to put their name on it.ike every other new stadium.

Atleast keeping the options open.

snowinapril
02-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Oh yeah, I thought I heard someone say, "Jesse the Bod Nordic Stadium." That is if they don't get any bidders on the naming rights.

VikesfaninWis
02-17-2006, 07:30 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Oh yeah, I thought I heard someone say, "Jesse the Bod Nordic Stadium." That is if they don't get any bidders on the naming rights.

LOL. Have you heard if anyone is interested so far?

josdin00
02-17-2006, 07:35 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"VikingNed" wrote:

7 to the country and 8 to the province. (gol 'darnit conservatives)

Yeah, but that's Canadian money, so that's really only like $.01 in real money. :lol:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

It will be "I-Don't-Care-How-Much-Money-He-Has,-Red-Can't-Buy-His-Way-In-Here" Field.

snowinapril
02-17-2006, 07:41 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

LOL. Have you heard if anyone is interested so far?

I honestly don't think they would say even if someone was interested at this early stage. They might have, but I haven't heard anything. We have had a lot of articles posted on this site, and I don't recall anyone even getting that far down the road. I don't think most people can even fathom it being built, let alone imagine naming it.

singersp
02-17-2006, 08:17 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

To be honest with you, I believe Minnesota doesn't even charge sales tax on clothing or food. So the tax wouldn't even apply to those items.

PurplePackerEater
02-17-2006, 09:19 PM

"VikingNed" wrote:

Free health care though? I'd take the health care for the extra 7 cents per dollar. :wink:

Prophet
02-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Posted: 2/17/06

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf unveils plans for mega sports and entertainment complex in Blaine
by Elyse Kaner
Staff writer
ABC Newspapers
Link (http://www.abcnewspapers.com/2006/February/17vikings.html)

They came clad in black pin-striped suits, herringbone sport jackets and plaid flannel shirts. The women came, too.

More than 100 people packed the Blaine City Council chambers Thursday, Feb. 16 to hear Zygi's proposal for what he calls the "crowning jewel of sports" complexes. Some were in favor, some not. The audience spilled into an overflow room where it watched the presentation on closed-circuit TV.

Blaine has finally come of age. It has sprouted from a quaint town where nearly five decades ago a Holstein, every now and then, would meander across Central Avenue, to today's burgeoning city when it's rare not to hear of a housing development or new business popping up for discussion at the council's bi-monthly meetings.

Now the Minnesota Vikings are planning to come to town Ü in a grandiose manner.

Zygi Wilf, property developer and owner of the Vikings,, laid out a $1.5 billion economic development proposal for Blaine for a complex he calls The Minnesota Sports Retail and Entertainment Center. The proposal includes $1 billion in private investments.

Optimistic and aggressive

"We are becoming more optimistic and more aggressive about our prospect of success," Wilf said about the mammoth project.

Wilf unveiled his proposal during the communications portion of Blaine's City Council meeting. The presentation was for informational purposes only. Residents did not have the opportunity to respond.

That would come later, Mayor Tom Ryan said.

The 740-acre development site, proposed at Lexington Avenue and 109 Avenue, would include a mix of retail shops, restaurants, housing, small businesses, corporate offices, a hotel and medical facility. Two hundred-sixty acres are wetlands that would be preserved and featured in the design plans.

"We cherish this opportunity to incorporate this in the entire project," Wilf said.

The plans call for a Minnesota Vikings stadium with a $115 million retractable roof. The stadium would seat 68,500, but would be expandable for up to 72,000 seats to host large events, like a Super Bowl.

The stadium would have 600 toilets for the ladies and about 500 for the men. No more waiting in lines to use bathrooms.

The complex would become the new headquarters for the Vikings. It would feature 150,000 square feet of training facilities and an indoor practice area.

Vikings Hall of Fame

A new Minnesota Vikings Hall of Fame, Vahalla, will be incorporated into the retail center, including 20,000 square feet of exhibits and interactive features.

A unique feature of the complex design is The Northern Lights of Blaine, a light display emulating the heavenly phenomenon.

"Imagine scoring a touchdown and the Northern Lights in the shopping center lights up and comes into the stadium," said presenter David Murphy of Crawford Architects.

Crawford has led in the design of the Olympic Stadium for the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games, Turner Field in Atlanta, Qwest Field in Seattle, and the renovation of Lambeau Field in Green Bay, to name a few of his stadium projects.

The Vikings' proposal would usher in 4,000 jobs for construction workers and 9,000 jobs for overall development, and it would generate "tremendous" revenues, Crawford said.

Michael Monahan, SRF Consulting Principal, another presenter, said the project would involve road improvements and working with agencies to preserve the wetlands.

"I do believe that what Zygi and company is being proposed tonight will be something that 50 years from now or even 10 years from now, we can look back, and our kids can look back and say, 'we all had a part in making that happen,'" Monahan said.

Working on master plan

Blaine is working on a master plan and Alternative Urban Area Review (comprehensive environmental assessment) for the Pheasant Ridge area.

The land-use plans being considered for the area are a Vikings stadium, with administrative offices, facilities and retail development and a new master plan that would include a corporate office with manufacturing and limited retail manufacturing without a football stadium.

The AUAR study and finalizing of the master plan is expected to be finished by approximately June 15, 2006.

Pheasant Ridge is bounded by I-35W, Lexington Avenue, Naples Street N.E. and 109 Ave. N.E.

"We'll be the crowning jewel of sports not only in the Midwest, but in the entire country," Wilf said.

Mayor Tom Ryan recalled about 20 years ago when he talked with the late governor Rudy Perpich about a dream of a sports center, "and everybody laughed," he said.

Today, Blaine is home to the Schwan Center, the National Sports Complex and the senior PGA. "Visions and dreams do happen in a city," he said.

In a press conference following his presentation Wilf said, "Under no circumstances will I ever move the Minnesota Vikings out of Minnesota."

Elyse Kaner is at elyse.kaner@ecm-inc.com.

AngloVike
02-17-2006, 09:47 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Vikings Hall of Fame

A new Minnesota Vikings Hall of Fame, Vahalla, will be incorporated into the retail center, including 20,000 square feet of exhibits and interactive features.

Something that is long overdue for this franchise and glad to see that Zygi has considered such a thing. The first person to be entered into it and there to greet visitors should be Jim Marshall. Not the same as being in Canton but a reflection on his place in Viking history.

tastywaves
02-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Cool stuff Zygi. I especially like how he gets the sky to glow purple, this dude is good. Talk about a commitment to MN, Zygi is redefining how to make football a central part of the economy. Between the Mall of America and if this thing gets built, you're going to piss off a lot of Texans. Jerry's new retractable house is only going to cost $650M (1/2 of which is coming from the city of Arlington with a 1/2 cent per dollar sales tax).

For a stadium name, how about "The Schmidt House" or the "Grain Belt Barn" or the classic "Schellhause". One of them is still made in MN I think.

gregair13
02-17-2006, 10:55 PM
whatever they plan to name it, lets hope its not too dumb. i assume it will be after a company or twenty to help with the funds.

Prophet
02-17-2006, 11:39 PM
"tastywaves" wrote:

Cool stuff Zygi. I especially like how he gets the sky to glow purple, this dude is good. Talk about a commitment to MN, Zygi is redefining how to make football a central part of the economy. Between the Mall of America and if this thing gets built, you're going to piss off a lot of Texans. Jerry's new retractable house is only going to cost $650M (1/2 of which is coming from the city of Arlington with a 1/2 cent per dollar sales tax).

For a stadium name, how about "The Schmidt House" or the "Grain Belt Barn" or the classic "Schellhause". One of them is still made in MN I think.

lmao, my vote is for the Grain Belt Barn.

collegeguyjeff
02-18-2006, 04:01 AM
a new stadium would bring in so much tax money, new developments and so on i don't know why our goverment is so stupid not to pitch in and help.

singersp
02-18-2006, 04:33 AM
"gregair13" wrote:

whatever they plan to name it, lets hope its not too dumb. i assume it will be after a company or twenty to help with the funds.

I say call it "Valhalla"

i_bleed_purple
02-18-2006, 05:47 AM
"josdin00" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"VikingNed" wrote:

7 to the country and 8 to the province. (gol 'darnit conservatives)

Yeah, but that's Canadian money, so that's really only like $.01 in real money. :lol:

hey your economy is so terrible right now that the exchange is now around $0.87US for $1.00 CAN, considering a few years ago it war around $0.50US/$1CAN

happy camper
02-18-2006, 06:04 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

To be honest with you, I believe Minnesota doesn't even charge sales tax on clothing or food. So the tax wouldn't even apply to those items.

That's true. Minnesota does not charge sales tax on cloths or food from a grocery store or convenience store. restaraunts have sales tax.