PDA

View Full Version : Vikings may lose CB Brian Williams

singersp
02-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Posted on Wed, Feb. 15, 2006

Vikings may lose CB Brian Williams

From news services

Next to wide receiver Koren Robinson, cornerback Brian Williams might be the most valuable of the Vikings' 16 pending unrestricted free agents, but odds are he will be playing with another team next season.

With free agency beginning March 3, Williams' agent said Tuesday that he has had no contract talks with the Vikings. Agent Jordan Feagan wouldn't rule out a return by the four-year veteran, but he indicated it's not likely.

"Of course, there's no animosity," Feagan said. "It's not like we wouldn't consider coming back. Looking at it as an agent, I just don't see it."

Williams replaced Fred Smoot as the Vikings' starting right cornerback during the middle of the 2005 season after Smoot suffered a shoulder injury. Williams held the job for the final eight games.

With the Vikings switching to a Cover 2 defense, there has been talk of moving Williams to strong safety, but Feagan said his client has proved he's a starting cornerback.

"Not only during the second half of last season; he's proved it through his career," Feagan said. "Some said he slipped two years ago, but he was playing hurt with a knee injury. As I look at the cornerback free-agent list, I think he's in the top three."

Don Seeholzer
Pioneer Press

Brian Williams (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13873854.htm)

Prophet
02-15-2006, 01:44 PM
The press has finally caught up with the obvious. I sure hope we can keep him somehow.

sleepagent
02-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Interesting that the Vikes haven't offered a contract. I wonder what's up the sleeve?

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Can they franchise him?

If they do..........he will definately hold out lol.

V4L
02-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Not a big surprise... I really wish we would atleast send in an offer and hope he takes it because he wants to be a Vike..

We should give him Smoot's contract and Smoot gets minimum with a clause that allows him to make more.. :)

I really hope we can make a deal he is a very valuable peice to this D..

And yes I think we can tag him.. Did we tag him last year? If so we are able to do that 1 more year.. I don't think he would sign it though

mr.woo
02-15-2006, 03:32 PM
b will is awsome and we would do well to resign him but if he leaves it wont be horrible we have enough able bodied men to play the position.

PackSux!
02-15-2006, 03:38 PM
We dont need Williams, Everyone forget about Dovonte Edwards? he will be a way better corner then Brian has ever dreamed of being and with Winfield, Smoot and Edwards why would we need Williams at corner? If he will play safety then that is cool but his agent said he wont so then i say goodbye Brian Williams.

olson_10
02-15-2006, 03:40 PM
b will made like 3 plays this year and thats it..i will still never forget all the times that hes been burnt in 1 on 1 coverage with big, fat, slow TE's..he is an awful cover guy who misses tackles often..he made a couple nice plays this year (notice i said a couple) and you guys make him out to be amazing..hes not, he stinks, and hes no better than smoot..we can go get someone better than him to play in the 3rd corner spot through FA..it was his contract year so he stepped up and made his 3 plays in order to get paid, now he goes back to the b will of the last 2 seasons, where he got burnt at least 3-4 times a game

i_bleed_purple
02-15-2006, 03:41 PM
"mr.woo" wrote:

b will is awsome and we would do well to resign him but if he leaves it wont be horrible we have enough able bodied men to play the position.

such as who? ralph brown? adrian Ward? Ralph brown is just terrible, Adrian Ward hasn't played much at all. The only player i would be ok with being there is Dovonte Edwards, but even still, he's unproven and everyone loves him because of one big play against GB. We need to keep b-will and if we do lose him we need to get a solid NB in FA. we don't need a Stud at NB, just someone who consistently does what he's asked

olson_10
02-15-2006, 03:42 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:

We dont need Williams, Everyone forget about Dovonte Edwards? he will be a way better corner then Brian has ever dreamed of being and with Winfield, Smoot and Edwards why would we need Williams at corner? If he will play safety then that is cool but his agent said he wont so then i say goodbye Brian Williams.
why does everyone on this site like a player because they make 1 or 2 nice plays all season? did you not see him get burnt for a TD later on in the same game that he picked off favre? you have to judge the guy on his entire season, and i saw him get burnt alot more times than i saw him make plays

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 03:42 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

b will made like 3 plays this year and thats it..i will still never forget all the times that hes been burnt in 1 on 1 coverage with big, fat, slow TE's..he is an awful cover guy who misses tackles often..he made a couple nice plays this year (notice i said a couple) and you guys make him out to be amazing..hes not, he stinks, and hes no better than smoot..we can go get someone better than him to play in the 3rd corner spot through FA..it was his contract year so he stepped up and made his 3 plays in order to get paid, now he goes back to the b will of the last 2 seasons, where he got burnt at least 3-4 times a game

LMAO!!!!

Yeah right......

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 03:44 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

why does everyone on this site like a player because they make 1 or 2 nice plays all season? did you not see him get burnt for a TD later on in the same game that he picked off favre? you have to judge the guy on his entire season, and i saw him get burnt alot more times than i saw him make plays

Look at his career stats and then talk.

Apparently you weren't watching the same games that I was. If thats all you got is "I saw him get burned" then it isn't enough.

olson_10
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"mr.woo" wrote:

such as who? ralph brown? adrian Ward? Ralph brown is just terrible, Adrian Ward hasn't played much at all. The only player i would be ok with being there is Dovonte Edwards, but even still, he's unproven and everyone loves him because of one big play against GB. We need to keep b-will and if we do lose him we need to get a solid NB in FA. we don't need a Stud at NB, just someone who consistently does what he's asked
thank you for finally pointing out that he only made 1 play lol, ive been waiting for someone else to do that..williams can go, but only if we get a better replacement through FA, which i know we can find because williams isnt very good

olson_10
"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

Apparently you weren't watching the same games that I was. If thats all you got is "I saw him get burned" then it isn't enough.
Edwards? what career stats?

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 03:46 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"mr.woo" wrote:

thank you for finally pointing out that he only made 1 play lol, ive been waiting for someone else to do that..williams can go, but only if we get a better replacement through FA, which i know we can find because williams isnt very good

He's pointing out that Dovonte Edwards made one play.......not Brian Williams :neutral:

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 03:47 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

I'm a moron, I thought you were talking about B-will :sad:

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 03:48 PM
One more cup of coffee and I'll have my head on straight, my apologies :grin:

olson_10
02-15-2006, 03:50 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

LMAO!!!!

Yeah right......
i dont know what the heck you are watching when you see williams, but he is MAYBE average, but nothing better than that..there is no stat for the number of times that you get burnt by a receiver or TE, so how is what i said not valid? why do i need to look at his stats? the reason he has so many tackles is because of the god awful run defense and LB's we've had the last couple years..everyone in the secondary has made a ton of tackles for us over the last couple of years, which only shows that your LB's are terrible..ive seen with my own eyes brian williams getting burnt more than once for every game that hes played in

olson_10
02-15-2006, 03:51 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

I'm a silly guy, I thought you were talking about B-will :sad:
lol yah that one was about edwards..not NB material like that guy was trying to say

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 03:56 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

LMAO!!!!

Yeah right......
i dont know what the heck you are watching when you see williams, but he is MAYBE average, but nothing better than that..there is no stat for the number of times that you get burnt by a receiver or TE, so how is what i said not valid? why do i need to look at his stats? the reason he has so many tackles is because of the god awful run defense and LB's we've had the last couple years..everyone in the secondary has made a ton of tackles for us over the last couple of years, which only shows that your LB's are terrible..ive seen with my own eyes brian williams getting burnt more than once for every game that hes played in

Sorry man, that opinion is yours to keep. You simply stating that you "Saw" him get burned oh so many times is not enough for me. Especially when I watched the same games and left with something different.

Especially when he is going to be one of the most desirable CB's in free agency, especially when his stats are comparable to Fred Smoots who certain people on here deemed to be one of the best.

Good luck convincing the masses that he is bad because you saw him get burned. While you are trying to convince them of that, you might as well try to convince them that you know where he was supposed to be and what defense was called. That way we all know that you have a good understanding of what he was supposed to do and where he was supposed to be doing it.

Because as it stands now, you had a head coach saying he was playing at a very high level, you have a free agent market that is going to snap him up, you have constant praise for the guy in press conferences post game, you have years of consistency and playmaking on paper, and all you have in defense is "I saw him get burned"

olson_10
02-15-2006, 03:57 PM
juran bolden, terry cousin, will allen, r.w. mcquarters, dante wesley..all as good as williams

olson_10
02-15-2006, 03:59 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

LMAO!!!!

Yeah right......

Sorry man, that opinion is yours to keep. You simply stating that you "Saw" him get burned oh so many times is not enough for me. Especially when I watched the same games and left with something different.

Especially when he is going to be one of the most desirable CB's in free agency, especially when his stats are comparable to Fred Smoots who certain people on here deemed to be one of the best.

Good luck convincing the masses that he is bad because you saw him get burned. While you are trying to convince them of that, you might as well try to convince them that you know where he was supposed to be and what defense was called. That way we all know that you have a good understanding of what he was supposed to do and where he was supposed to be doing it.

Because as it stands now, you had a head coach saying he was playing at a very high level, you have a free agent market that is going to snap him up, you have constant praise for the guy in press conferences post game, you have years of consistency and playmaking on paper, and all you have in defense is "I saw him get burned"
fine by me..ive never liked the guy and always thought we could get something better..obviously i was right because we signed smoot in the offseason and immediately demoted williams..on top of that, we attempted to sign Mcquarters to play the NB spot, which wouldve pushed williams back to the 4th spot

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:00 PM
i saw williams get burnt, and apparently the coaching staff and management did too if they signed another starting corner, and then also went after another nickle back as well

singersp
02-15-2006, 04:06 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

LMAO!!!!

Yeah right......

fine by me..ive never liked the guy and always thought we could get something better..obviously i was right because we signed smoot in the offseason and immediately demoted williams..on top of that, we attempted to sign Mcquarters to play the NB spot, which wouldve pushed williams back to the 4th spot

And there you have it!

The real reason you want him gone. It has nothing to do with his great play making abilities.............

............It's just the fact that you just don't like him.

Kinda reminds me of someone else who didn't like Chavous, simply because of his name. LMAO!

singersp
02-15-2006, 04:07 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

i saw williams get burnt, and apparently the coaching staff and management did too if they signed another starting corner, and then also went after another nickle back as well

They went after others because Offord went down with a season ending injury & also due to Smoot getting hurt.

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 04:08 PM
I always looked at it as they signed Smoot because we were very thin at the CB position.

Irvin went down and Brian Williams was forced to play on a bad knee because there was no one left.

So since Red was spend happy last offseason he through as much money as he could at a guy who really didnt deserve it. Jokes on the Vikings though because now you have a loudmouth corner who can't get the job done, who is hurt all year and a guy who can tackle like no other but can't cover to save his ass.

Meanwhile I guess it's win win situation between you and Brian Williams, he gets to get paid massive ammounts of cash and get the hell away from a fan base that never appreciated him and was always looking for the next best thing, so much in fact that they would waste a large ammount of money on a mouth with no game.

And then you win because you don't have to watch him anymore. Of course it will suck for you when you see Smoot and Winfield getting burned just as bad, just like they did this year, but I suppose we wont get to hear about that because you own their jersey or something :grin:

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:08 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

LMAO!!!!

Yeah right......

And there you have it!

The real reason you want him gone. It has nothing to do with his great play making abilities.............

Kinda reminds me of someone else who didn't like Chavous, simply because of his name. LMAO!
apparently you cant read the rest of what i said..i clearly said that management and the coaching staff mustve agreed with me if they brough in another starter to replace williams, and then attempted to demote him to 4th string by trying to sign mcquarters..we will see who is right when we find out how much money we offer him

singersp
02-15-2006, 04:10 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

LMAO!!!!

Yeah right......

And there you have it!

apparently you cant read the rest of what i said..i clearly said that management and the coaching staff mustve agreed with me if they brough in another starter to replace williams, and then attempted to demote him to 4th string by trying to sign mcquarters..we will see who is right when we find out how much money we offer him

I already addressed that. Read my last post.

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 04:12 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

LMAO!!!!

Yeah right......

And there you have it!

That's exactly what this argument always boils down to Singer.

I don't like him, I saw him get burned............

That's fine, but don't try to convince me it's true just because you don't like the guy or if your only supporting information is "I saw him get burned"

A simple, "I'm glad he will be gone, I never liked him" would do.

But solitude is lonely and smoke must be blown up peoples asses to try and convince them to join in on the unsubstantiated blasting of a player.

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:12 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I always looked at it as they signed Smoot because we were very thin at the CB position.

Irvin went down and Brian Williams was forced to play on a bad knee because there was no one left.

So since Red was spend happy last offseason he through as much money as he could at a guy who really didnt deserve it. Jokes on the Vikings though because now you have a loudmouth corner who can't get the job done, who is hurt all year and a guy who can tackle like no other but can't cover to save his jiggly butt.

Meanwhile I guess it's win win situation between you and Brian Williams, he gets to get paid massive ammounts of cash and get the hell away from a fan base that never appreciated him and was always looking for the next best thing, so much in fact that they would waste a large ammount of money on a mouth with no game.

And then you win because you don't have to watch him anymore. Of course it will suck for you when you see Smoot and Winfield getting burned just as bad, just like they did this year, but I suppose we wont get to hear about that because you own their jersey or something :grin:
i didnt mention smoot or winfield, though we can both agree im sure that winfield is superior to williams in every way..the smoot signing i never liked in the first place because i never thought he was that good either..but to what i was saying, we signed smoot specifically to start opposite of winfield, knowing this would anger williams..and to further add to that, we tried to sign mcquarters for the purpose of playing 3rd string..we tried to demote him to 4th string..my point is that he is not starting material because he is not a good cover corner..and if you still disagree, then you also disagree with vikings management

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:13 PM
you guys miss the entire point of everything ive said apparently..if the organization attempted to push him to 4th string, then id say they dont think too highly of him

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 04:18 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

So since Red was spend happy last offseason he through as much money as he could at a guy who really didnt deserve it. Jokes on the Vikings though because now you have a loudmouth corner who can't get the job done, who is hurt all year and a guy who can tackle like no other but can't cover to save his jiggly butt.

i didnt mention smoot or winfield, though we can both agree im sure that winfield is superior to williams in every way..the smoot signing i never liked in the first place because i never thought he was that good either..but to what i was saying, we signed smoot specifically to start opposite of winfield, knowing this would anger williams..and to further add to that, we tried to sign mcquarters for the purpose of playing 3rd string..we tried to demote him to 4th string..my point is that he is not starting material because he is not a good cover corner..and if you still disagree, then you also disagree with vikings management

We signed Smoot to anger Williams?

Please do not pretend you know what the Vikings Management wanted to do. Your assuming way to much. Don't try and sell that trash.

It's common fallacy. You have a preconcieved notion of Brian Williams, you are assuming the moves the management made were done to support your bias.

If I don't agree with you it's because you bring nothing to the table. Your conspiracy theory about the signings to increase our depth at CB are in no way tied to the Vikings management. So in other words, no me disagreeing with you is not the same as me disagreeing with the Vikings Management.

Me disagreeing with you is me disagreeing with you.

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:19 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

LMAO!!!!

Yeah right......

And there you have it!

That's fine, but don't try to convince me it's true just because you don't like the guy or if your only supporting information is "I saw him get burned"

But solitude is lonely and smoke must be blown up peoples asses to try and convince them to join in on the unsubstantiated blasting of a player.
the purpose is not to get everyone to bash williams..i am simply stating my opinion just like you are..you love williams and feel hes a great player, okay, thats fine, that is the way you see it..i dont agree with you..you have used stats to backup your opinion, which is smart on your part..i also knew his stats, but had different thoughts on why his stats happen to be that way..i also used the fact that management tried to push him down the depth chart..we both thought out our answers, and we have different opinions, why do you feel i am trying to get everyone to hate williams? simply because i dont like him and dont feel hes as great as all of you do?

NodakPaul
02-15-2006, 04:22 PM
I think that Williams is a good corner, and I think he stepped up his play at the right time last year. Now he is going to have some good ammo to use when he is dealing with other teams. Whether you like Williams or not is really moot at this point, because he wont be around next year.

Personally I think that Williams would excell at safety, it is too bad he isn't interested. However, if we have a healthy Smoot and Winfield, with over the top help from Sharper and a decent FA safety, then I am pretty comfortable with our secondary.

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:23 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Please do not pretend you know what the Vikings Management wanted to do. Your assuming way to much. Don't try and sell that trash.

It's common fallacy. You have a preconcieved notion of Brian Williams, you are assuming the moves the management made were done to support your bias.

If I don't agree with you it's because you bring nothing to the table. Your conspiracy theory about the signings to increase our depth at CB are in no way tied to the Vikings management. So in other words, no me disagreeing with you is not the same as me disagreeing with the Vikings Management.

where did i say "we signed smoot to anger williams?"..again you have taken what ive said, and completely changed it..i can make these assumptions because i read all of the articles released in newspapers, websites, etc, and those articles all stated that the vikings signed smoot to start, and then they pursued mcquarters to play the nickle..how is that not a safe assumption on my part?

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 04:24 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

LMAO!!!!

Yeah right......

And there you have it!

the purpose is not to get everyone to bash williams..i am simply stating my opinion just like you are..you love williams and feel hes a great player, okay, thats fine, that is the way you see it..i dont agree with you..you have used stats to backup your opinion, which is smart on your part..i also knew his stats, but had different thoughts on why his stats happen to be that way..i also used the fact that management tried to push him down the depth chart..we both thought out our answers, and we have different opinions, why do you feel i am trying to get everyone to hate williams? simply because i dont like him and dont feel hes as great as all of you do?

b will made like 3 plays this year and thats it..i will still never forget all the times that hes been burnt in 1 on 1 coverage with big, fat, slow TE's..he is an awful cover guy who misses tackles often..he made a couple nice plays this year (notice i said a couple) and you guys make him out to be amazing..hes not, he stinks

That right there is where your statement goes from being merley your opinion of Brian Williams, to your opinion of our opinions.

I don't love the guy, I like him for what he is a hard working CB that lays it all on the line. He isn't GREAT he isn't the best. He is what he is. What I do know is he made a whole hell of a lot more then 3 plays this year, and he has made a whole hell of a lot more plays then most during his career as a Viking.

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:25 PM
we knew williams wanted to start, and we didnt let him..nor did we want to extend his contract when he wanted us to do so

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 04:27 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

where did i say "we signed smoot to anger williams?"..again you have taken what ive said, and completely changed it..i can make these assumptions because i read all of the articles released in newspapers, websites, etc, and those articles all stated that the vikings signed smoot to start, and then they pursued mcquarters to play the nickle..how is that not a safe assumption on my part?

How can you bold the statement and ask me that question? Seriously?

but to what i was saying, we signed smoot specifically to start opposite of winfield, knowing this would anger williams

You are insinuating that we signed Smoot to start, ok yeah we all know that, then you go on to say they knew that would anger Williams

What is the point of even mentioning that if it wasnt relevant?

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:29 PM
so del rio what did you prove in saying that? you just pointed out to me how i stated my opinion.."you guys make him out to be amazing..hes not, he stinks"..how am i begging you to agree with me by saying that? im not, i just said that i dont agree with everyone, and i feel that he stinks..so what did you prove by saying that?

"I don't love the guy, I like him for what he is a hard working CB that lays it all on the line. He isn't GREAT he isn't the best. He is what he is. What I do know is he made a whole hell of a lot more then 3 plays this year, and he has made a whole hell of a lot more plays then most during his career as a Viking."
that is the part i respect, and you couldve said that in the first place and our opinions wouldve stayed as is

PackSux!
02-15-2006, 04:30 PM
I was only stating my opinion on the topic, i think brian williams would be a waste of money for us unless we got him cheap enough and he will play safety. With the corners we have we dont need to spend a crap load on signing a average corner like williams. As for Edwards, that is my opinion that he will be great, for a late round rookie cornerback he played well and will only get better. as for getting burned, All corners get burned from time to time.

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:30 PM
"What is the point of even mentioning that if it wasnt relevant?"
it was relevant because williams made it a point to state before the season started that he expected to be the starter..he was even holding out to get paid like a starter and get locked up long term..that however didnt happen

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:34 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:

I was only stating my opinion on the topic, i think brian williams would be a waste of money for us unless we got him cheap enough and he will play safety. With the corners we have we dont need to spend a crap load on signing a average corner like williams. As for Edwards, that is my opinion that he will be great, for a late round rookie cornerback he played well and will only get better. as for getting burned, All corners get burned from time to time.
well edwards should stay with us obviously, assuming hes under contract..he would fit in as a 4th or 5th string guy depending on whether we keep ralph brown..i dont think he would have any shot at playing any nickle for us this season, because he is simply inexperienced and not ready to play significant time yet..every corner does get burnt from time to time, but honestly edwards really did have more negative plays than positive..hes a rookie though so the good plays he did make are something to build on

Prophet
I think Smoot and Williams both suck. lol.

I would put Smoot at average and Williams slightly above average at this stage of their careers. Both are expendable and both are servicable in their positions. It will all fall into place now that the D-line should bring more pressure on the QB....hopefully.

Del Rio
"olson_10" wrote:

so del rio what did you prove in saying that? you just pointed out to me how i stated my opinion.."you guys make him out to be amazing..hes not, he stinks"..how am i begging you to agree with me by saying that? im not, i just said that i dont agree with everyone, and i feel that he stinks..so what did you prove by saying that?

"I don't love the guy, I like him for what he is a hard working CB that lays it all on the line. He isn't GREAT he isn't the best. He is what he is. What I do know is he made a whole hell of a lot more then 3 plays this year, and he has made a whole hell of a lot more plays then most during his career as a Viking."
that is the part i respect, and you couldve said that in the first place and our opinions wouldve stayed as is

My point in stating that is in response to you claiming you were merely stating your opinion about Brian Williams. When you start saying in a nutshell that other peoples opions are wrong that is when a discussion begins.

"you guys make him out to be amazing..hes not"

You guys think he is good, you are wrong.

Same difference. At that point, the point you decided to involve other people for some unknown reason, that is when the discussion begins and that is when people usually have more ammo to back it up then I saw him get burned.

This is the point of the conversation where we realize it was pointless to argue, and that we will have to agree to disagree.

This is also the point of the conversation where I say no harm no foul and that I appreciate the back and forth because it helped me waste a half hour of work.

Win win.

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:36 PM
del rio, i dont understand what ur trying to argue about..you like the guy, i dont..a lot of fans on this site obviously like the guy, the vikings organization doesnt SEEM to feel the same, or at least they didnt before last season

enlvikeman
02-15-2006, 04:37 PM
I disagree with Del Rio.

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 04:37 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

I think Smoot and Williams both suck. lol.

I would put Smoot at average and Williams slightly above average at this stage of their careers. Both are expendable and both are servicable in their positions. It will all fall into place now that the D-line should bring more pressure on the QB....hopefully.

I find it hard to judge any of our Db's since Cottrell took over our defense. Even with that said if a guy can contribute and rack up the stats in his scheme that makes him even better in my eyes.

I agree though there both are/were expendable. As it stands right now IMO our backfield is no better then it was last year.

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:41 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

My point in stating that is in response to you claiming you were merely stating your opinion about Brian Williams. When you start saying in a nutshell that other peoples opions are wrong that is when a discussion begins.

"you guys make him out to be amazing..hes not"

You guys think he is good, you are wrong.

Same difference. At that point, the point you decided to involve other people for some unknown reason, that is when the discussion begins and that is when people usually have more ammo to back it up then I saw him get burned.

This is the point of the conversation where we realize it was pointless to argue, and that we will have to agree to disagree.

This is also the point of the conversation where I say no harm no foul and that I appreciate the back and forth because it helped me waste a half hour of work.

Win win.
wow you really feel your opinion is superior to that of everyone elses dont you.."you guys make him out to be amazing..hes not, he stinks"="you guys like him..i dont"
u have come to the point where you are now assuming what i am implying by what i say..i certainly did have more ammo than "i saw him get burned" and if you had read what i said, and not changed it all completely around then maybe you could see my side of it..ur too single minded

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 04:42 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

del rio, i dont understand what ur trying to argue about..you like the guy, i dont..a lot of fans on this site obviously like the guy, the vikings organization doesnt SEEM to feel the same, or at least they didnt before last season

It's pretty simple Olson.

A) I took you saying "you guys make him out to be amazing..hes not"

as You guys think he is good, you are wrong.

B) I tell you to check his stats because you claim he made only three plays

C) You start assuming the intentions of the organization and telling me if I disagree with you, I disagree with them.

D) Everyone gets confused.

E) The conversation dies

F) You state that you don't like him. Which Validates what Singer said.

G) All is good in the world.

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:45 PM
schemeing is a big part of how good a player is, and im excited that were putting in the cover 2 defense rather than whatever cottrell was trying to do..just a thought here, chavous really became a better player when he moved to safety, so why isnt williams willing to do so?

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:48 PM
"C) You start assuming the intentions of the organization and telling me if I disagree with you, I disagree with them."
yes, the intentions that were clearly stated numerous times in the press..i know for a fact that coach tice stated in numerous articles that Fred Smoot was signed to start, McQuarters was sought after to play the nickle..you cant disagree with the fact that Williams did want to start, and held out because he was demoted..when Williams wanted to get paid like a starter, and be a starter, neither of his wishes were granted, and another player was signed to fill that role..i think the intentions of the organization are pretty clear right there

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Olson I typed a long response but it became apparent to me that it is useless.

So I'm just going to keep this one real basic. I am going to use bullets.

* I apologize if I took what you said differently the you intended

* I respect your opinion Brian Williams stinks.

* I am now moving on to arguing with enlvikeman because he is about the funnest person to argue with.

* please accept my apologies.

* For future reference, when I say things like we agree to disagree, and I am moving on I respect your opinion, that is a sign of me admitting this is useless to argue about and you can stop addressing me.

* Yes my opinion is superior to me, if you don't like it the line starts somewhere in West Virginia, take a number.

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 04:53 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

schemeing is a big part of how good a player is, and im excited that were putting in the cover 2 defense rather than whatever cottrell was trying to do..just a thought here, chavous really became a better player when he moved to safety, so why isnt williams willing to do so?

My guess is he knows he is going to get more money at CB so why in the world change the position he is comfortable playing.

CB's get more money then saftey. Plus he has no reason to stay here.

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:54 PM
im not looking for an apology or statement such like that..im not trying to be soft or nothin like that..it was an argument that nobody won..without arguments like that, this site wouldnt exist..its good to argue, and you are clearly a knowledgable person to argue with

olson_10
02-15-2006, 04:57 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

My guess is he knows he is going to get more money at CB so why in the world change the position he is comfortable playing.

IMO he is a hitter, and he is not the fastest guy..same situation chavous was in as a corner (chavous was a far worse corner il admit)..chavous is now a great corner and i feel williams would be better suited at that position..if the vikings convinced him to make this switch, then id be all for paying him big money

Ltrey33
02-15-2006, 04:59 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

* I am now moving on to arguing with enlvikeman because he is about the funnest person to argue with.

* For future reference, when I say things like we agree to disagree, and I am moving on I respect your opinion, that is a sign of me admitting this is useless to argue about and you can stop addressing me.

* Yes my opinion is superior to me, if you don't like it the line starts somewhere in West Virginia, take a number.

He's right, it is a long line. I've been waiting for like a year and a half and I still haven't gotten my shot. :grin:

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 05:03 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

IMO he is a hitter, and he is not the fastest guy..same situation chavous was in as a corner (chavous was a far worse corner il admit)..chavous is now a great corner and i feel williams would be better suited at that position..if the vikings convinced him to make this switch, then id be all for paying him big money

I think he is probably being a bit of a baby about the situation. That alone will keep him from playing saftey.

He could do quite well at saftey though I would agree with you there. He could do quite well as Nickle or #2 IMO as well. I think he is going to go where the money is. I don't see the Vikings paying him more to play saftey then he could get playing corner somewhere else.

No doubt he could do it, I just don't think he wants to. Certainly if the Vikings approach him and say We want you, but you have to play CB he will take it as an insult. The guy feels betrayed and he is a bit upset that he agreed to play injured last year for the team, then they went out and signed a guy with similar talent to a massive contract.

I think he feels that loyalty is apparently a one way street ( I would agree with him) and I highly doubt he would go out of his way to help the Vikings.

olson_10
02-15-2006, 05:06 PM
yah good point, especially with how upset he was last year with his holdout and everything..theres no way he would do anything to please us..i suppose it does work out because we can go get an established player at safety that we already know can play the position..but i think williams wouldve been able to make the transition just like chavous did

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 05:06 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

He's right, it is a long line. I've been waiting for like a year and a half and I still haven't gotten my shot. :grin:

Ltrey, you don't know how hard I laughed when the answers to the embarassing moments thread were revealed. You know I was being a smart ass right? I played D&D when I was young, and I had a stuffed Ewok for years...............

I'll have my assistant expidite you to the front of the line, where are you now? Illinois-ish........I can get you to Wyoming but that's about it.

cajunvike
02-15-2006, 05:20 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

YOU try convincing him of that...he still thinks he can be a great CB...you probably don't remember, but Chavous was VERY resistant to switching...even though it was inevitable if he wanted to extend his career...Rod Woodson went through the same crap. Del is right on one thing though...it's all about the money...suggesting that the Vikes pay him like a CB but play him at SS is all well and good (and I agree with the strategy) BUT convincing the Vikings FO to do it is another matter altogether...YOU try convincing them! :grin:

olson_10
02-15-2006, 05:23 PM
well i wouldnt mind picking up an established player at the position..i would like either scenario..i do feel he could make the transition like chavous did, but thats not going to happen..there really is no losing in this situation because we will still be picking up a really good player with the money we have in FA

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 05:26 PM
"enlvikeman" wrote:

I disagree with Del Rio.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/Unknown_Hero/34046145_l.gif

olson_10
02-15-2006, 05:27 PM
lol hahaha

VikesfaninWis
02-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Wow, after reading that back and forth between Olson, and Del Rio, I felt like I was watching an episode of Dr. Phil...

Well you know what Olson, and Rio..

IT AIN'T ABOUT YOUUUU!!!

Now I am leaving this thread, so don't go yelling at me, because I won't be here anyway.. LOL..

skum
02-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Hey man, i guess we just gotta face that Brian Williams is not going to be around anymore, i like him alot - but when we signed Smoot last season i think we also gave Brian Williams a ticket out of town - he will not play here unless he starts thats for sure.. - me might go with Tice to Jacksonville - lets hope K-Rob stays, they are good friends..

MensaTice
02-15-2006, 06:32 PM
That's some hard hitting reporting by the Pioneer Press. Maybe tomorrows headline will be "Onterrio Smith suspended for 2005 season" or something along the lines of "In case our readers are ret@rded, unrestricetd free agents may or may not return to their teams, we're not really sure which ones will though"

VikingsTw
02-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Brian Williams is a good CB. I've watched all his games, from his rookie season to last year. Bottom line is guy doesn't have blazing speed. He had one off year the year before last otherwise he would have gotten the fat contract. If you remeber right he hurt his knee then irvin went down and he played on a bad knee all year, i'll relate this to EJ who also came back real strong this year after getting 100% healthy.

I will admit i got real frustrated with bwill in the 2004 season, so i was ready for smoot. What i didn't know is that B Will was gonna get healthy take smoots job and run with it like he did this year. He played like the seasons before.

He's been a playmaker since he's been here, he causes fumbles, he grabs INT's and he can sack the QB. Man would he fit perfect as our SS in a cover two. He knows better though, the guy can play CB.

In no way am i a fan of a player that consitantly gets burned, i got a bwill poster that i would hate to take down.

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 09:42 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Wow, after reading that back and forth between Olson, and Del Rio, I felt like I was watching an episode of Dr. Phil...

IT AIN'T ABOUT YOUUUU!!!

Now I am leaving this thread, so don't go yelling at me, because I won't be here anyway.. LOL..

http://www.ruralimages.freeserve.co.uk/oxeye-daisy.jpg

Being the leader I am supposedly supposed to be I have edited out my attempted humor and replaced it with a daisy. So peace can resume, and all can be well on the internet once again. No more ulcers.

VikingsTw
02-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Thats f*cked up.

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 09:56 PM
"vikingstw" wrote:

Thats f*cked up.

I fixed it for you Vikingstw.

A little less *messed* up.

*Edit* Didn't realize that would go by the filter.......good to know......

VikingsTw
02-15-2006, 09:58 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"vikingstw" wrote:

Thats f*cked up.

A little less fucked up.

You didn't have to fix it for me, but it was a good idea you fixed it for yourself being a mod and all. *leadership*

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 10:00 PM
"vikingstw" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"vikingstw" wrote:

Thats f*cked up.

A little less fucked up.

You didn't have to fix it for me, but it was a good idea you fixed it for yourself being a mod and all. *leadership*

Oh well if it was just for me I might as well have left it. My panties were not knotted over it in the least.

VikesfaninWis
02-15-2006, 10:09 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

IT AIN'T ABOUT YOUUUU!!!

Being the leader I am supposedly supposed to be I have edited out my attempted humor and replaced it with a daisy. So peace can resume, and all can be well on the internet once again. No more ulcers.

LOL.. I guess you have to watch an episode of DR.Phil to understand that one... Nice pic though!!!

VikingsTw
02-15-2006, 10:11 PM
LMAO!

I gotta admit i got one hell of laugh out of that daisy. See the thing is i really don't care wether you got the cemetary message up there, but it is jacked up, plus there was no JK or smiley face, then you look to left and you got a mass murderer in your avatar. Kinda sends a serious message.

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 10:11 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

IT AIN'T ABOUT YOUUUU!!!

LOL.. I guess you have to watch an episode of DR.Phil to understand that one... Nice pic though!!!

I was just messing with you man. I agree we sound like a bad rerun of doctor Phil.

I will point out you did return however. They always do..........
You can't resist it.

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 10:14 PM
"vikingstw" wrote:

LMAO!

I gotta admit i got one hell of laugh out of that daisy. See the thing is i really don't care wether you got the cemetary message up there, but it is jacked up, plus there was no JK or smiley face, then you look to left and you got a mass murderer in your avatar. Kinda sends a serious message.

Kinda

and to think one of these little guys :grin: would have made all the difference.

seaniemck7
02-16-2006, 12:43 AM
I still like the +1 comment :razz:

collegeguyjeff
02-16-2006, 12:56 AM
some people think winfield should play strong safety and leave williams at corner back or vice versa. tough to say what will happen though, not too many teams can affotd to pay williams what he wants though maybe he would be a great safety

VKG4LFE
02-16-2006, 01:56 AM
It would really suck to lose Williams. He's a good corner IMO.

VIKES_1181
02-21-2006, 05:04 PM
The deadline to designate franchise or transition players is Thursday. They probably can avoid the issue with Robinson, with whom they hold a contractual right of first refusal, but it's not out of the question that they could use it on Williams.

The franchise tag for cornerbacks is $5.893 million, while the transition figure is $4.774 million.

Lotza
02-21-2006, 05:11 PM
yep! isay yay!

he is a beast

Smooty underachieved

that sucks.

V4L
02-21-2006, 05:15 PM
I hope so.. Anything to keep him here

NodakPaul
02-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Is there a link for this or is it just speculation? I agree, it may be a possibility, and it would open up some interesting possibilities with our secondary.

snowinapril
02-21-2006, 06:08 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Is there a link for this or is it just speculation? I agree, it may be a possibility, and it would open up some interesting possibilities with our secondary.

It was speculation in one of the articles that was posted in another thread.

It is possible.

Heck, who else would you want to put the tag on?

It would let us see if Smoot is for real, if he can actually back up his talk. I am not saying I think Smoot is a bust, but we all saw that he wasn't at the top of his game. We can cut some slack on last season, I am looking forward to seeing our CBs play in the new D, under the DC that was a DB himself. This should be good!!!!!!

snowinapril
02-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Problem with the franchise tag, is that you say hey this guy is worth something. Then, the season is done, and you have to anty up for a contract worth a lot of money or the guy will be gone.

I don't like the tag. If you think a guy is good, give him the contract.

I think it hurts the player in the long run. Look at James, last year would hav ebeen a better market year. Colts didn't want to get into a lengthy contract with him, yet they wanted to have him one more year to get to the SuperBowl. The tag made Kleiny some money, but it is possibly going to hurt him now. If guys don't put stellar years back to back, people then have a hard time saying I am going to pay him top five money for his position. Or, if they get hurt. What if James would have been injured like DC? He would be left in the cold with no guaranteed money, and probably without a team. He would be expected to go back out and prove himself again for a year and he would be 2 years closer to retirement. If I were a player, I wouldn't want to be mentioned in the same breathe as the Franchise Tag.

ItalianStallion
02-21-2006, 06:36 PM
I thought the franchise tag for corners was higher, I remember Oakland keeps doing it to Woodson and it was damn near 10 million a year.

Anyway, BWill isn't worth that money, especially as a nickle corner.

VikesfaninWis
02-21-2006, 07:19 PM
"VIKES_1181" wrote:

The deadline to designate franchise or transition players is Thursday. They probably can avoid the issue with Robinson, with whom they hold a contractual right of first refusal, but it's not out of the question that they could use it on Williams.

The franchise tag for cornerbacks is $5.893 million, while the transition figure is $4.774 million.

They have the right of first refusal on K-Rob, so the franchise tag will not be used on him. If anyone is getting the franchise tag, it will be either B-Will, or Fonoti. I doubt they will give it to Fonoti, so that will leave B-Will if they use it at all..

whackthepack
02-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Here are the rules for placing a player with a franchise tag.

Franchise and Transition Tags
From ,
Your Guide to .
FREE Newsletter.
Understanding the Difference
• A club can designate one franchise player or one transition player in any given year.
• The salary level offer by a player's old club determines what type of franchise player he is.
• An "exclusive" franchise player -- not free to sign with another club -- is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April 16, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.
• If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, he becomes a “non-exclusive” franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.
The signing period for non-exclusive franchise players to sign with new clubs is March 3 through November 9 (10th week of the season).
• A transition player has received a minimum offer of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.
• A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation. Transition players can be signed from March 3 through July 22

I think that it would be a smart move to franchise B-will! I think we make him a non-exclusive franchise player, then we can either match the offer or get 2 1st round picks for compensation, even if we don't get both 1st round picks we might be able to work out a deal maybe to get a first round pick and a third round pick. B-will is going to be the most sought after FA C/B on this years market it would be nice get something in return for Brian, or to keep him.

I would like to have him on the team, but worse case I want something back for him if he is not going to be on the vikings!

GreenBaySlackers
02-21-2006, 07:32 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I thought the franchise tag for corners was higher, I remember Oakland keeps doing it to Woodson and it was gol 'darnit near 10 million a year.

Anyway, BWill isn't worth that money, especially as a nickle corner.

wurd

tarkenton10
02-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Del - Sometimes you have to realize that no matter how articulate you are and how accomidating you are there are just some people who must have the last word. And you must totally agree with them or you will be inundated with posts until you surrender your point of view. I have been there with certain people on this site.

One of the main reasons you don't see me on this site that much any more. Too politically correct and too smothering, you can't have any fun. Anything even in jest is scrutinized way, way too much.

The best you can do is :grin: and know you are the better man for stopping the madness.

cajunvike
02-21-2006, 10:10 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

Del - Sometimes you have to realize that no matter how articulate you are and how accomidating you are there are just some people who must have the last word. And you must totally agree with them or you will be inundated with posts until you surrender your point of view. I have been there with certain people on this site.

One of the main reasons you don't see me on this site that much any more. Too politically correct and too smothering, you can't have any fun. Anything even in jest is scrutinized way, way too much.

The best you can do is :grin: and know you are the better man for stopping the madness.

:lol:

Lungshot
02-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Get rid a Smoot and his flappin gums and sign B.Will!!! enuff said.

snowinapril
02-21-2006, 10:25 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

KFFL got this from Ned's Post.

Vikings | No substantive talks with B. Williams
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:39:33 -0800

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings are not believed to have held substantive discussions with CB Brian Williams. He is eligible to be an unrestricted free agent in March. It is unclear if the Vikings will use the franchise or transition tag on Williams.

Del Rio
02-21-2006, 10:29 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

I've always enjoyed the banter. I agree with you to an extent.

ejmat
02-21-2006, 10:30 PM
I don't think they will use the franchise tag on hom since it would be for over $5 mil. I think B-Will had a great season last year and want him to re-sign but I'm not so sure the Vikings will use the tag on him. Hopefully they will bring him to the table and discuss compensation.

PurplePeopleEaters
02-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Who cares about b-will. We got SMOOOTTTT. :lol:

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5650/packerjackedup6jp.gif

Prophet
02-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Tag game: With the franchise tag for cornerbacks set at a relatively modest $5.893 million, there is a chance the Vikings could use the designation to keep cornerback Brian Williams off the free-agent market.

Williams' agent, Jordan Feagan, didn't want to comment on that possibility, but he did say, "We are planning and expecting to explore free agency."

from this article. (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/football/nfl/minnesota_vikings/13928626.htm)

thepacksux
02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
* VU has been told that the Vikings might consider using its franchise tag on cornerback Brian Williams, but we're not as positive. Williams sat out all of last year's minicamps in protest of not getting a new, larger contract, so it seems unlikely that he would take part in the offseason program again if he was slapped with the cornerback franchise tag of $5.9 million. VU has heard that the Packers are going to make a strong push for Williams if he hits the open market.
* The team is expected to make a first-round qualifying offer of $1.55 million to wide receiver Nate Burleson, who becomes a restricted free agent March 3.
* The Vikings signed cornerback Ronyell Whitaker Tuesday. Whitaker, who missed all of the 2005 season, played two years with the Buccaneers under defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

snowinapril
02-22-2006, 10:25 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Can they franchise him?

If they do..........he will definately hold out lol.

From prev posted article.

Tag game: With the franchise tag for cornerbacks set at a relatively modest $5.893 million, there is a chance the Vikings could use the designation to keep cornerback Brian Williams off the free-agent market.

Williams' agent, Jordan Feagan, didn't want to comment on that possibility, but he did say, "We are planning and expecting to explore free agency."

NFL teams have until Thursday to designate franchise or transition players. Free agency is scheduled to begin March 3.

Briefly: The Vikings have signed free-agent cornerback Ronyell Whitaker, a two-year veteran who spent last season on Tampa Bay's practice squad. Whitaker, a nephew of boxer Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker, was in four games in 2003 with the Buccaneers, playing under current Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

I say they are letting him walk and watching the dollars, could be wrong.

Del, you said it in a round about way, he doesn't want to play for us.

Jordan
02-23-2006, 01:05 AM
http://vikings.scout.com/2/501667.html

WEDNESDAY NOTES
* VU has been told that the Vikings might consider using its franchise tag on cornerback Brian Williams, but we're not as positive. Williams sat out all of last year's minicamps in protest of not getting a new, larger contract, so it seems unlikely that he would take part in the offseason program again if he was slapped with the cornerback franchise tag of $5.9 million. VU has heard that the Packers are going to make a strong push for Williams if he hits the open market.
* The team is expected to make a first-round qualifying offer of $1.55 million to wide receiver Nate Burleson, who becomes a restricted free agent March 3.
* The Vikings signed cornerback Ronyell Whitaker Tuesday. Whitaker, who missed all of the 2005 season, played two years with the Buccaneers under defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

vikesoto
02-23-2006, 01:08 AM
Big $$$ for 3 cb's on the team? I'd like him to stay, but $5.9 million?

cajunvike
Works for me...especially if we could get him to switch to SS!

Jordan
sorry i meant maybe 2 use the franchise tag on B-Will

aceclown
02-23-2006, 01:09 AM
total waste of money.

LuckyVike
02-23-2006, 01:10 AM
If we franchise him do you think that leaves the door open for us to trade Smoot maybe?

coreyd
02-23-2006, 01:11 AM
This would be a very good move. I think that B-Will has a lot of talent and is an up and coming superstar. Good speed and great awarenenss. Lets keep him and keep him for a long time. TIME TO FEEL THE PAAAAAIN!!!!

PurplePeopleEaters89
02-23-2006, 01:13 AM
i just heard on Startribune.com that they are going to cut him!!! maybe its just conflicting websites with different opions!!!

Hawgski
02-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Truthfully, I think they will work out a contract w/ Brian, and then trade Smoot. Either way, I think Smoot is going to find he will be the one not suiting up in a Vikes uniform this fall.

snowinapril
02-23-2006, 01:16 AM
He wants a contract. If he holds out of camps, how is he going to learn the new D.

Give him a contract or let him go.

MensaTice
02-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Sort of an odd decision but I think I like it. I'd love to keep him and I don't think that its too much money. We still have plenty of cap space to go around. I'd rather see us use that cash to keep him here and have very strong depth at an important position as well as keep him from going to the packers. That would not be good at all.

Hawgski
02-23-2006, 01:18 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

i just heard on Startribune.com that they are going to cut him!!! maybe its just conflicting websites with different opions!!!

How do you cut someone who is scheduled to be a FA?

snowinapril
02-23-2006, 01:19 AM
"Hawgski" wrote:

Truthfully, I think they will work out a contract w/ Brian, and then trade Smoot. Either way, I think Smoot is going to find he will be the one not suiting up in a Vikes uniform this fall.

This has nothing to do with the thread, but this is the first time I have seen your thread. Man that is the most eclectic thread I have seen, from fish to Jesus. That is unique!

Back to the thread, Time is running out to get that contract done.

gregair13
02-23-2006, 01:20 AM
nice offer to bureslon. i hope he takes it. we need him.

i wanted to keep bwill. hes good.

snowinapril
02-23-2006, 01:24 AM
"gregair13" wrote:

nice offer to bureslon. i hope he takes it. we need him.

i wanted to keep bwill. hes good.

If Burly is worth that, then what do you think the limit will be on K-Rob.

Hawgski
02-23-2006, 01:24 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Hawgski" wrote:

This has nothing to do with the thread, but this is the first time I have seen your thread. Man that is the most eclectic thread I have seen, from fish to Jesus. That is unique!

Back to the thread, Time is running out to get that contract done.

PPE hooked me up with the sig. I asked him to combine my Savior, my favorite Vikes and my nickname (Hawg (large) Ski (muskies))!!!

PPE THANKS AGAIN MY BROTHER!!!!

FuadFan
02-23-2006, 01:27 AM
It is very unlikely that we will franchise Williams so he will be gone it will happen start to get used to the fact.

finnishvikingsfan
02-23-2006, 01:29 AM
I would like to keep Brian Williams. But if we lose him we lose him. I think we must make sure K-Rob doesnt go anywhere.

cogitans
02-23-2006, 01:31 AM
I would like BWill to stay, but I just don't see it happening. I don't think they want to pay him what a tag would give him.

Futhermore without a tag he's gone for sure.

ItalianStallion
02-23-2006, 01:49 AM
It's simple. Smoot isn't going anywhere, or we would take like a 10 million cap hit. The ONLY reason we would franchise Brian Williams is to trade him to someone. There is not way we pat a nickle corner or safety 6 million.

Tanner_QBRB8
02-23-2006, 02:34 AM
I would not like it if the Pack get B will that would suck

mr.woo
02-23-2006, 03:09 AM
aw you got me hopeful i thought they already did it

magicci
02-23-2006, 03:31 AM
the title of this thread is sort of misleading

SKOL
02-23-2006, 03:55 AM
I think it was the !!! that was misleading. It should have been ???

bigbadjerryball
02-23-2006, 03:57 AM
unlikly that we will spend the money on him. if smoot dosent step it up this season he would be missed. i thought that brian was a poor performer until this last season when he played like an animal.

audioghost
02-23-2006, 03:58 AM
They should franchise K-Rob....or re-sign K-Rob....hope they do....

olson_10
02-23-2006, 04:23 AM
cant franchise more than one guy

V4L
02-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Sweet we will have Burly for 1.55 mill or a 1st round pick!

We should just resign B-will.. Keep him here for a few years

aceclown
02-23-2006, 04:29 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

that would be nice, but i really dont think b-will wants to be here. ever since the smoot signing he has been a little pissed, which is why they may have to slap a tag on him to keep him. basically he wants to start, and in green bay he would immediately step in as a starter in place of ahmad carrol.

Mr Anderson
02-23-2006, 04:35 AM
I say if we do tag him we move him back to safety, saving our first round pick for the LB out of Florida State, he's perfect for the Tampa 2 MLB spot, he is similar in so many ways to Derrick Brooks, but hits harder.

Cause if we franchise him we won't use him as a backup.

I would not mind at all if we tagged him, cause we either keep him and move him to safety or get a pick for him.

Also signing Burly for 1.55 mil is a great deal, even if we did sign both of these we'd have roughly 17 million in cap room to go out and get the edge, resign fonoti and Koren and possibly pick up Runyan depending on how much we spend on the other 3, and if C-Pep backs off with his contract bullshit.

EDIT: that FSUs LB's name is Ernie Sims.

magicci
02-23-2006, 06:43 AM
"audioghost" wrote:

They should franchise K-Rob....or re-sign K-Rob....hope they do....
hey where did u get the culpepper picture for your sig?? can you send me the picture?

aceclown
02-23-2006, 08:00 AM
KFFL.com

Vikings | Childress trying to get Williams to stay
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:51:02 -0800

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress had dinner the other night with unrestricted free agent CB Brian Williams in an effort to convince him to re-sign with the Vikings.

VikingsTw
02-23-2006, 08:02 AM
"aceclown" wrote:

KFFL.com

Vikings | Childress trying to get Williams to stay
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:51:02 -0800

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress had dinner the other night with unrestricted free agent CB Brian Williams in an effort to convince him to re-sign with the Vikings.

I like it. Come on B Will.

DarrinNelsonguy
02-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Sean Jensen (beat writer St. Paul Pioneer Press) just stated on KFAN radio that the Vikings used the Transition Tag on him which allows the Vikings to match any offer on him that could pay him an average of the top 10 CB salaries in the league. This is a way for the Vikings to resign Williams cheaply if there is no market for him.

However, Jensen told PA that it is about 99.99% that Williams will not be back with the Vikings because he doesn't want to play for the Vikings anymore and he feels slighted by the Vikings signing Smoot last offseason. Jensen said that even if the money is slightly more here he still sees Williams leaving and he said how can the Vikings justify overpaying to keep Williams with all the money they have tid up in CB already.

Displaced_Viking
02-23-2006, 07:25 PM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

Sean Jensen (beat writer St. Paul Pioneer Press) just stated on KFAN radio that the Vikings used the Transition Tag on him which allows the Vikings to match any offer on him that could pay him an average of the top 10 CB salaries in the league. This is a way for the Vikings to resign Williams cheaply if there is no market for him.

However, Jensen told PA that it is about 99.99% that Williams will not be back with the Vikings because he doesn't want to play for the Vikings anymore and he feels slighted by the Vikings signing Smoot last offseason. Jensen said that even if the money is slightly more here he still sees Williams leaving and he said how can the Vikings justify overpaying to keep Williams with all the money they have tid up in CB already.

That sucks. Are there any teams that have been showing interest in Williams?

Mr-holland
02-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Tagged baby i really hope he stays

snowinapril
02-23-2006, 07:31 PM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

Wow, you posted this at 10:24am and it didn't get a response for a whole hour.

OMV had the right idea, something like this needs a new title to catch the eye and bring attention to it. Even if, the Mods can splice them together at a later date.

happy camper
02-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Well, I'm glad we did this. Now we can try to keep him out of Green Bay.

I wonder, can we trade a transition player? We wouldn't even have to get much in return, maybe a 6th round pick. That's better than waiting until someone signs him to an offer sheet that we won't match.

I'm sure there's rules against that though.

thepacksux
02-23-2006, 07:39 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

it is definitely a good deal, however i wouldnt be too surprised if a team that has a late first round pick signed him to an offer sheet

whackthepack
02-23-2006, 07:55 PM
"happy camper" wrote:

Well, I'm glad we did this. Now we can try to keep him out of Green Bay.

I wonder, can we trade a transition player? We wouldn't even have to get much in return, maybe a 6th round pick. That's better than waiting until someone signs him to an offer sheet that we won't match.

I'm sure there's rules against that though.

If we match the offer that another team gives him he will remain a Viking, after he is signed we could turn around and trade him to that team.

ejmat
02-23-2006, 08:01 PM
I am very surprised they slapped the tag on him with the amount of money it would cost to keep him. At this time last year I felt B-Will was being arrogant wanting more money and holding out when he did nothing during the 2004 season that warratned a raise. Now I think he deserves a raise (not sure if 6 mil is deserved) but in any case I would like him to remain a Viking a pay him what he's worth.

Personally I don't think paying him close to 6 mil is smart but I guess that's why I do what I do and the Viking organization does what they do. I do want him a Viking though.

singersp
02-23-2006, 08:34 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

Wow, you posted this at 10:24am and it didn't get a response for a whole hour.

OMV had the right idea, something like this needs a new title to catch the eye and bring attention to it. Even if, the Mods can splice them together at a later date.

The person who originated the thread can edit his first post & change the title at anytime. :wink:

aceclown
02-23-2006, 08:39 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

I am very surprised they slapped the tag on him with the amount of money it would cost to keep him. At this time last year I felt B-Will was being arrogant wanting more money and holding out when he did nothing during the 2004 season that warratned a raise. Now I think he deserves a raise (not sure if 6 mil is deserved) but in any case I would like him to remain a Viking a pay him what he's worth.

Personally I don't think paying him close to 6 mil is smart but I guess that's why I do what I do and the Viking organization does what they do. I do want him a Viking though.

being that it is the transition tag, the number is not 6 mil, it is 4.7 mil.

PackSux!
02-23-2006, 09:00 PM
So we used the transition tag on B. Williams? and who are we going to use the franchise tag on?

tiersius
02-23-2006, 09:09 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:

So we used the transition tag on B. Williams? and who are we going to use the franchise tag on?That's exactly what I was thinking.

tiersius
02-23-2006, 09:10 PM
They have to use the franchise tag by the end of today, don't they?

Muggsy
02-24-2006, 03:47 AM
ESPN Insider
Minnesota (placed transition tag on DC Brian Williams): This move raised some eyebrows. Williams, who will earn $4,774,000 in 2006, is a solid corner, but the Vikings are already committed at the position. With Williams receiving the transition number, it could mean the end of a short Vikings career for DC Fred Smoot, who signed a lucrative free-agent deal last offseason.

digital420
02-24-2006, 01:12 PM
the only problem i have with K.Will is this.

"[Williams] would like to move on," agent Jordan Feagan said this morning. "He's expressed to them that he would rather not go back."

That does not bode well in my mind.. but.. i'd rather hear it from the horses mouth.. especially if they decide to match any offer.

DiGiTaL

singersp
02-24-2006, 02:47 PM
"digital420" wrote:

the only problem i have with K.Will is this.

"[Williams] would like to move on," agent Jordan Feagan said this morning. "He's expressed to them that he would rather not go back."

That does not bode well in my mind.. but.. i'd rather hear it from the horses mouth.. especially if they decide to match any offer.

DiGiTaL

You mean B-Will, don't you?

ChezPizmo
02-24-2006, 04:47 PM
( http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIN/9260443 )
Vikings put transition tag on CB Williams
NFL.com wire reports

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (Feb. 23, 2006) -- The Minnesota Vikings named cornerback Brian Williams as their transition player, which prevents him from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

By league rules, the Vikings must tender Williams a one-year qualifying offer at the average of the 10 highest-paid players at his position or 120 percent of his 2005 salary -- whichever is greater. Williams will still be allowed to sign an offer sheet with another team, which Minnesota would have a week to match.

The NFL's deadline for designating franchise or transition players was Feb. 23.

Williams replaced an injured Fred Smoot, one of the Vikings' top free-agent signings last year, and started the last eight games. Williams played well enough to keep his spot when Smoot returned, relegating Smoot to the nickelback role.

A fourth-round draft pick out of North Carolina State in 2002, Williams has started 48 of a possible 66 games in his career. He had 11 passes defended and four interceptions last season.