PDA

View Full Version : Spending money just because we have it -- Foolish!

COJOMAY
02-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Been thinking about how we are $25 million or so under the cap. A lot of people here are saying we should buy free agents like they are going out of style.
Others here have a more conservative outlook. We are not a bad team. Just a few tweeks and we can be a good team! Unfortunately, most want to buy FA's until we have spent all the cap money. That, in my opinion is a foolish thing to do.
First I don't think this year FA class is one of the better ones I have seen. Sure there are some great names out there but not what the Vikes really need except maybe two.
Also we have to take into account that Mckinnie's contract is coming up. and so is Kevin Williams. And you can bet those guys are gonna have big seasons because they want to look at a big paycheck in the future.
I just think it would be foolish to spend all our cap money this year when we have some pretty marque players on the roster already, who are in line for much larger contracts in the near future.
We could get a couple of great FA players and still remain about $5-10 million under the cap and that's what I think the Vikes should do.

Your thoughts?

BBQ Platypus
02-14-2006, 11:21 PM
I don't think anyone's suggesting that we drain all of our cap room. I agree with you that we shouldn't be overaggressive, though. Note that I don't think we should pull a Red McCombs either.

ultravikingfan
02-14-2006, 11:21 PM
I would like to see us pick-up a few players and yet remain under the cap. I do not want to be a team that has to clean house in a few years and start over.

Proper salary cap management is a must.

Good post Cojo!

collegeguyjeff
02-14-2006, 11:29 PM
spending money just cause we have it would be foolish, we could end up like the redskins. however i think we need to gradually spend more money each year and get players that fit. i don't think we should grab a ton of guys this year just to eat up all the money cause we might need someone next year and we could get maybe 2 guys next year; plus we need to always sign key free agents from our team such as koren or nate possibly.

MrGopher16
02-14-2006, 11:33 PM
This is exactly the point I've been trying to make! Well put Cojo! I don't want to spend a ton and take a shot at glory for only a couple years, only to end up bottom feeders at the end. I want to build us a dynasty, and be an elite team!

Prophet
02-14-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm all for wise cap management. Sitting on a pile of money under the cap when there are many needs is just as foolish as blowing it all just because it's there. It's easy to get into trouble with the cap, because you have one injury to a key player and have to hit the market for a replacement then you are in cap hell the next year. A delicate issue, but the Vikings have one of the best cappers in the league that will not be limited due to a tightwad owner like in the past. I have confidence that the Vikings will manage their cap well.

sleepagent
02-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Spending money for the sake of spending money is unwise . . . just look at the Redskins. However, if there is something out there that fits into the gameplan AND it is dramatically better than what you have, then go get it.

COJOMAY
02-14-2006, 11:45 PM
I posted this just because there seems to be so many posters on here who want to get EVERY FA they can. But I suppose that's the way of some younger people who haven't ever had to work within a budget. So I wanted them to realize you can't get everything you want. Theat's why so many people get into trouble with credit cards. I hope this will help some people understand that when the FA starts people won't be holloring "we should have done this or that or gotten him for $20 million."
It just isnt gonna happen!

ultravikingfan
02-14-2006, 11:48 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I posted this just because there seems to be so many posters on here who want to get EVERY FA they can. But I suppose that's the way of some younger people who haven't ever had to work within a budget. So I wanted them to realize you can't get everything you want. Theat's why so many people get into trouble with credit cards. I hope this will help some people understand that when the FA starts people won't be holloring "we should have done this or that or gotten him for $20 million."
It just isnt gonna happen!

Thanks Dad! :razz:

:lol:

gregair13
02-14-2006, 11:59 PM
we want to spend, just not spend all of it. i would be happy with only spending around half of the room we got. with the cba coming, we want to be under the cap, a long ways under, so we are better set up for the time after.

VikesfaninWis
02-14-2006, 11:59 PM
I agree. I would like to pick up the pieces that we need to be a great team. We need to determine what we will be doing at RB. If O. Smith comes back, and he for sure is going to be a team player, then I say give him a chance to be our #1 RB.

We also need to address the LB situation. The OL needs alot of work, and we need to have a good draft. We don't need every player that becomes a FA. While alot of them will help our team out, we have alot of young good players waiting to step up.. Good post Cojo..

NodakPaul
02-15-2006, 12:08 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I hope this will help some people understand that when the FA starts people won't be holloring "we should have done this or that or gotten him for $20 million."

Unless we go 16-0 and win the superbowl, people will complain about who we do and don't get in FA (and even then some still will!).

Lotza
02-15-2006, 12:08 AM
im not worried.

i have faith in wilf.

mr.woo
02-15-2006, 12:21 AM
no ones saying going on a shopping spree but then agian not using money to buy what youre team needs* is just as foolish.

*(see red mcombs)

Mr-holland
02-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Wilf knows what he's doing.
In the business he's in, that also would be foolish.

BBQ Platypus
02-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Once upon a time there lived an old miser man
By the name of Silas Stingy
He carried all his money in a little black box
Which was heavy as a rock
With a big padlock
All the little kids would shout
When Silas was about

Money, money, money bags
Money, money, money bags
There goes mingy Stingy
There goes mingy Stingy
Money, money, money bags
Money, money, money bags
There goes mingy Stingy
There goes mingy Stingy

Silas didn't eat, which was just as well
He would starve himself for a penny
He wore old clothes and he never washed
'Cause soap cost a lot
And the dirt kept him hot
All the little kids would shout
When Silas was about

Money, money, money bags
Money, money, money bags
There goes mingy Stingy
There goes mingy Stingy
Money, money, money bags
Money, money, money bags
There goes mingy Stingy
There goes mingy Stingy

In the back of his head
Was a voice that said
"Someone will steal it all
You'll be lying in the gutter with an empty box
The thieves will be having a ball"

Money, money, money bags
Money, money, money bags
There goes mingy Stingy
There goes mingy Stingy
Money, money, money bags
Money, money, money bags
There goes mingy Stingy
There goes mingy Stingy

He bought a safe to put the box in
And a house to put the safe in
And a watchdog on a chain to make quite sure
And his face was very funny
When he counted up his money
And he realized he hadn't any more

Money, money, money bags
Money, money, money bags
There goes mingy Stingy
There goes mingy Stingy
Money, money, money bags
Money, money, money bags
There goes mingy Stingy
There goes mingy Stingy

aceclown
02-15-2006, 12:39 AM
If we go about free agency in the same manner as last year, that would be the best possible scenario. We spend money on FA's until there is about 8-9 mil left to sign rookies. I think we should pick up 3 impact FAs, which at an average of 5 mil per player would leave the desired amount of cap space left for the future. Depth is what the draft is for. Signing mediocre FAs might have worked for the Patriots, but I have yet to see it work for any other team.

thepacksux
02-15-2006, 08:45 AM
i look for us to make a similar signing like we did with winfield and smoot the last two years. One impact player that we can front load a ton of money to make the rest of the contract, especially the next few years, cheap.

cajunvike
02-15-2006, 08:55 AM
"aceclown" wrote:

If we go about free agency in the same manner as last year, that would be the best possible scenario. We spend money on FA's until there is about 8-9 mil left to sign rookies. I think we should pick up 3 impact FAs, which at an average of 5 mil per player would leave the desired amount of cap space left for the future. Depth is what the draft is for. Signing mediocre FAs might have worked for the Patriots, but I have yet to see it work for any other team.

Not a bad analysis, aceclown!

Compton, huh? Were you "born and raised in Compton"?

I'm from South Central LA...Louisiana, that is...but I have been through Compton a time or two. :grin:

aceclown
02-15-2006, 09:00 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"aceclown" wrote:

I'm from South Central LA...Louisiana, that is...but I have been through Compton a time or two. :grin:

Naw, the Compton thing is a joke, Im from the midwest. I have family in LA, and I figured nobody on this site is from Compton. I have been to Compton, but I doubt I would be able to live there.

cajunvike
02-15-2006, 09:07 AM
"aceclown" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"aceclown" wrote:

Naw, the Compton thing is a joke, Im from the midwest. I have family in LA, and I figured nobody on this site is from Compton. I have been to Compton, but I doubt I would be able to live there.

LOL! I lived in Ventura for three years and had occasion to go down to LA every so often...I used to drive through Compton, but always in the daytime...my pale @$$ definitely stuck out like a sore thumb! :lol:

The "born and raised in Compton" was a quote from an old NWA lyric from back in the day...didn't know if you caught that! :lol:

I try to keep up with new music, but old guys like me have a hard time with it as time goes by...plus my wife doesn't listen to what I do, so I don't usually have the time. BUT I am usually open to listening to new stuff and figuring out what is good and what isn't...I usually find that some stuff in a particular genre is good and some is CRAP...it takes longer to pick out the good stuff, but it is worth it in the long run...as for the CRAP, I leave that to others to listen to! :lol:

BigMoInAZ
02-15-2006, 09:14 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

I'm all for wise cap management. Sitting on a pile of money under the cap when there are many needs is just as foolish as blowing it all just because it's there. It's easy to get into trouble with the cap, because you have one injury to a key player and have to hit the market for a replacement then you are in cap hell the next year. A delicate issue, but the Vikings have one of the best cappers in the league that will not be limited due to a tightwad owner like in the past. I have confidence that the Vikings will manage their cap well.I do as well P! Let's see, last year alone they spent very wisely:

1- Pat Williams
2- Fred Smoot
3- Darren Sharper

and then they signed a slew of thier own guys. I think in all the Vikes signed 11 or 12 UFA's in 2005. I want to see them approach 2006 very much the same way. That's all! :wink:

digital420
02-15-2006, 10:34 AM
if we could get 2 impact FA's for 5 mil each.. it would be a miracle..

there are many new coaches / staff around.. and I am betting that there will be a lot of FA impulse buying, although i do'nt see it going to bidding wars, i do see FA's selecting where they'd rather go, then just taking the top offer.

DiGiTaL

singersp
02-15-2006, 01:07 PM
"Mr-holland" wrote:

Wilf knows what he's doing.
In the business he's in, that also would be foolish.

It won't be just Wilf. We have the Triangle of Power for making those decisions.

I've been saying for months now that just because we have the cap we shouldn't spend it all.

Bryzinski has done an excellent job maintaining cap space, while we still are able to sign some key players every year & I don't want us to get in a situation in the future where we need players, but can't sign them due to a lack of funds.

NordicNed
02-15-2006, 01:42 PM
I think, just like in the past, we are in great Cap Shape....

Not only are we sitting on 25 mil, but we already are a team with many key players already signed, we also have a very nice mixture of vet and young players.

With FA just around the corner, I'de like to see us fill fill our most pressing needs with a couple of FA's. In FA I'de really like to see us go after one of the prime RB's available. James would be a solid FA to go after.....

I'de also like to see us go after a Solid LB.......At the same time, maybe try to sign one more player, maybe a CB or a SS, someone weve scouted who is on the verge of breaking out and flying under the radar right now...

This would be 3 FA picks, and I'm sure our Triangle of Death ( sounds nice doesn't it) will keep us in great Cap space for next year also....

I have alot of faith in our cap managment, weve done very well with it in the past, and I don't see us screwing it up now....

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 02:06 PM
It's not my money. Spend as much as we need to get the job done.

NordicNed
02-15-2006, 03:23 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

It's not my money. Spend as much as we need to get the job done.

Del, that sounds like my wife when I take her shopping... :lol: :wink:

6-KINGS
02-15-2006, 03:28 PM
I say spend it on Free Agents and leave just enough to sign the top 4 picks.
Trade the other picks for extra kicking tees.

PackSux!
02-15-2006, 03:34 PM
I agree with saving money for next year but what about this salary cap thing not beiong around in 2007? does that mean we can spend as much as we want this year and not worry about having enough money for players next year? Anyone know?

Del Rio
02-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Actually what is happening is there is a new barganing agreement that will be here soon.

The current cap is aroung 80 million and the new cap is estimated to be at around 102 million.

So that is why you have guys like Ray Lewis wanting new contracts. They want huge long term deals because they know that money will be there for the taking.

The NFLPA and the league have extended their 1993 agreement four times, most recently through the 2007 season; there is no salary cap in that last year. Negotiations are underway to extend it through 2011.

Technically you are right there is no Cap in 2007, but you can bet your ass there will be one. They are working on one now, and will probably get it done this year.

PackSux!
02-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I hope so, if football turns into baseball and one team can stack all the star players it is going to be a sad day.

Vikes
02-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Well put. I don't want ANYTHING to do with the S.Alexander and Edge talk. Too expensive.

ultravikingfan
02-15-2006, 06:40 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:

I hope so, if football turns into baseball and one team can stack all the star players it is going to be a sad day.

The way football is structured this cannot happen and is not really along the same lines as this discussion.

briboy75
02-15-2006, 08:23 PM
"Vikes" wrote:

Well put. I don't want ANYTHING to do with the S.Alexander and Edge talk. Too expensive.

why dont we wait and let the market decide before making blanket statements?

last year alexander could have been had very cheapy. while i don't expect that to be the case this year, i think alot of people are over estimating what he will get.

DarrinNelsonguy
02-15-2006, 08:38 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

The way football is structured this cannot happen and is not really along the same lines as this discussion.

You are right ultra but if they do not extend the CBA in the NFL in the near future say the next 2 weeks there will be no salary cap for the 2007 season. I really do not know how that occurs but it has been talked about with offseason NFL on SportsCenter.

Big C
02-15-2006, 08:39 PM
As long as we sign a awesom Offensive Lineman and a good MLB in FA I will be fine. I have a feeling that EJ and DT will end up playing OLB. I'm sure re-signing K-Rob is one of our priorities as well.

As for RB, I still think MeMo will fit nicely in to the new West Coast offense. Just give him a line to run behind. Alexander or James will probably gain 300 or 400 more yards than Memo behind the same line. But at what cost? Are those extra 400 yards worth 10 million in bonus alone? Me thinks not. We have weaker spots to fix.

COJOMAY
02-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Good post Big C

bssnavigation22
02-16-2006, 10:44 PM
exactly what we have to do! I completely agree that we shouldn't spend money because we have it!

cajunvike
02-16-2006, 11:08 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:

Hey...you can blame that on the greedy baseball owners (ALL of them, not just a few) and the greedy players union who won't accept a salary cap!

Football is much better organized against that type of bad situation...and won't have the same problems as other sports...plus I don't think that they want another strike season...that was a HUGE PR fiasco! :mad:

ultravikingfan
02-17-2006, 12:02 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"PackSux!" wrote:

Hey...you can blame that on the greedy baseball owners (ALL of them, not just a few) and the greedy players union who won't accept a salary cap!

Football is much better organized against that type of bad situation...and won't have the same problems as other sports...plus I don't think that they want another strike season...that was a HUGE PR fiasco! :mad:

You are biased because your baseball team ( :roll: ) is the Yankees!

Football is like communism....just analyze it and you will see.

DarrinNelsonguy
02-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Agreed we do not want to end up like the Redskins

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9244108

mr.woo
02-20-2006, 12:54 AM
i heard on sports center that if there is still no cap in 2007 it wont comeback.