PDA

View Full Version : Audio: Childress on Onterrio Smith



singersp
02-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Audio: Childress on Onterrio Smith

By Viking Update Staff
Date: Feb 13, 2006

What will the Vikings do with running back Onterrio Smith? Hear what head coach Brad Childress had to say about the situation.

Vikings head coach Brad Childress isn’t making a commitment either way when it comes to possibly bringing running back Onterrio Smith into the Vikings fold once again.

Smith, the team’s leading rusher in 2004 with 544 yards on 124 carries despite serving a four-game suspension, was suspended for the entire 2005 season after receiving his third strike against the NFL’s substance abuse policy. In the spring of 2005, he was also stopped by airport police and found to have a drug-masking device known as the “Original Whizzinator,” which was one incident in a string of embarrassing off-the-field episodes for the Vikings in 2005.

Hear what Childress had to say about Smith’s status with the Vikings by clicking on the link below.

Listen to audio (http://vikings.scout.com/2/499144.html)
___________________________________________________________

Does anyone subscribe to Vikings Update so we know what Childress said?

NordicNed
02-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Nice try on the audio Singer, but it's telling me to subsribe if I want to listen..

Screw that, I get more info here for free....I used to get the paper, but it's way overpriced now..

Singer, did you happen to be in the AV Crew during High School?..LOL

Still delivering the news on time, to the people, for the people...

singersp
02-14-2006, 02:50 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Nice try on the audio Singer, but it's telling me to subsribe if I want to listen..

Screw that, I get more info here for free....I used to get the paper, but it's way overpriced now..

Singer, did you happen to be in the AV Crew during High School?..LOL

Still delivering the news on time, to the people, for the people...

Ned,

You must have missed my comment;

"Does anyone subscribe to Vikings Update so we know what Childress said?"

I posted the link so someone who subscribes would see it, listen to it & tell us what he said. :grin:

You must not have had that 1st cup of coffee yet this morning! That's the 2nd time this morning (see Member pics II). :grin:

NordicNed
02-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey don't get pushy, I don't know where my glasses are this mourning... :lol:

singersp
02-14-2006, 03:03 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Hey don't get pushy, I don't know where my glasses are this mourning... :lol:

LMAO! Next time, let me know & I'll post the article in large print! :grin:

NordicNed
02-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Singer, not wanting to get off track on your post, but I know other Vikings Fans here in CT....We used to all get the Update, but I've heard more saying they've dropped it, than I have heard people saying the have subscribed to it....

And everyone says dropped for the same reason. COST

I wonder if the Update realizes their losing customers because of the cost......I could see maybe 40 to 50 bucks a year, but $100 is just plan to high, espeicaly when you can get most of the same info off the net for free today..
I would only guess, thats their reason for increase of price, to cover the cost of all the subscribers who have dropped them over the past few years....

singersp
02-14-2006, 03:38 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Singer, not wanting to get off track on your post, but I know other Vikings Fans here in CT....We used to all get the Update, but I've heard more saying they've dropped it, than I have heard people saying the have subscribed to it....

And everyone says dropped for the same reason. COST

I wonder if the Update realizes their losing customers because of the cost......I could see maybe 40 to 50 bucks a year, but $100 is just plan to high, espeicaly when you can get most of the same info off the net for free today..
I would only guess, thats their reason for increase of price, to cover the cost of all the subscribers who have dropped them over the past few years....

That would be my take on it as well.......Cost. They need to make up the lost revenue somehow.

They need to realize they could get 3X as many subscribers if it was onlt half the cost.

The price is too spendy for me, but I know some of our members do subscribe.

Let's hope one of them reads this & gives us the "skinny"

ChiTownVike
02-14-2006, 04:55 PM
I think when a coach says he is not sure if Onterrio or any other player in that manner will be back or not, I think he will be gone. I think our RB's next year will be

Edge
Mewelde
Fason

Ltrey33
02-14-2006, 05:21 PM
"Williamson8211" wrote:

I think when a coach says he is not sure if Onterrio or any other player in that manner will be back or not, I think he will be gone. I think our RB's next year will be

Edge
Mewelde
Fason

Did you listen to it? Is that what he said?

VikesfaninWis
02-14-2006, 05:42 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Audio: Childress on Onterrio Smith

By Viking Update Staff
Date: Feb 13, 2006

What will the Vikings do with running back Onterrio Smith? Hear what head coach Brad Childress had to say about the situation.

Vikings head coach Brad Childress isn’t making a commitment either way when it comes to possibly bringing running back Onterrio Smith into the Vikings fold once again.

Smith, the team’s leading rusher in 2004 with 544 yards on 124 carries despite serving a four-game suspension, was suspended for the entire 2005 season after receiving his third strike against the NFL’s substance abuse policy. In the spring of 2005, he was also stopped by airport police and found to have a drug-masking device known as the “Original Whizzinator,” which was one incident in a string of embarrassing off-the-field episodes for the Vikings in 2005.

Hear what Childress had to say about Smith’s status with the Vikings by clicking on the link below.

Listen to audio (http://vikings.scout.com/2/499144.html)
___________________________________________________________

Does anyone subscribe to Vikings Update so we know what Childress said?


I got a subscription to Viking Update Singers.. I have listened to it already. Is there a way I can bring it over here? or will I have to listen to it, and tell you what he said?

NordicNed
02-14-2006, 06:11 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Audio: Childress on Onterrio Smith

By Viking Update Staff
Date: Feb 13, 2006

What will the Vikings do with running back Onterrio Smith? Hear what head coach Brad Childress had to say about the situation.

Vikings head coach Brad Childress isn’t making a commitment either way when it comes to possibly bringing running back Onterrio Smith into the Vikings fold once again.

Smith, the team’s leading rusher in 2004 with 544 yards on 124 carries despite serving a four-game suspension, was suspended for the entire 2005 season after receiving his third strike against the NFL’s substance abuse policy. In the spring of 2005, he was also stopped by airport police and found to have a drug-masking device known as the “Original Whizzinator,” which was one incident in a string of embarrassing off-the-field episodes for the Vikings in 2005.

Hear what Childress had to say about Smith’s status with the Vikings by clicking on the link below.

Listen to audio (http://vikings.scout.com/2/499144.html)
___________________________________________________________

Does anyone subscribe to Vikings Update so we know what Childress said?


I got a subscription to Viking Update Singers.. I have listened to it already. Is there a way I can bring it over here? or will I have to listen to it, and tell you what he said?

I'de say listen to it again, then try to just tell us what was the main theme of his talk.....What he saying about OS......Can't wait..

ultravikingfan
02-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Without even hearing what he had to say, I am going to guess he will give SOD a shot at Training Camp.

Del Rio
02-14-2006, 06:26 PM
I have the transcription of the interview, thank me later.


Q: What role will O. Smith play for the Vikings next year?

BC: We don't know yet, as of right now I am focusing on getting the coaching staff together and when that is done we will evaluate our players and potential players.

Q: If he can stay out of trouble will he have a spot on the team?

BC: I will have to talk to him. Nothing is coming for free on this ship. He will definately have an opportunity, but what he does with it is up to him.

Q: If the Vikings pursure E. James would he still get that opportunity.

BC: No. Why would we want Mr. fake dick on our team when we could have a guy like edge.

Q: Is this a real transcript from the interview?

BC: No this is Del Rio being an asshole, because he doesn't want to pay 100$ to hear me say "I don't know" a whole bunch of times.

ultravikingfan
02-14-2006, 06:33 PM
^ Ha haa! You fricken had me hook, line, and sinker!

VikesfaninWis
02-14-2006, 06:41 PM
The interview is 2:00 minutes in lengh..

The interviewer ask Childress if he has had any talks with OS, or if he has given any consideration if he wants to bring OS back to the Vikings.

Childress says that they will have a face to face meeting with OS at some point in the near future. They want to evaluate him and see where he stands. Childress also states that new RB Coach Eric Bienemy will have alot of input on the matter.

Childress states that the ultimate decision will be based on a trust factor. He says that if OS does come back that he will be trusted on to be there for his team, and that his teammates, and coaches are trusting him to be there for the team.

The Interviewer asks Childress what kind of qualities he is looking for in a RB.

Childress states that the RB has to be Multi Dimensional. Childress says what if I say Ladanian Tomlinson?

The Interviewer asks Childress if they can expect the Vikings to try to make a trade for LT.

Childress laughs, and says no, no. He says that he was just giving an example of what kind of RB we will have here in Minnesota. He says that the RB will have to be able to run between the tackles, as well as catch the ball. He said a Brian Westbrook type of RB. He says that you want a RB that is well rounded. He says other teams can gang up on you if they feel you are 1 Dimensional. He says that it serves you better to have someone that is multi dimensional so other teams can't prepare for you as well. He then goes on to say that he wants the teams that the Vikings play to be confused, to never know what is coming next. He says if they are successful at that, then great things will happen for the Vikings and our fans..

skum
02-14-2006, 07:56 PM
We should maybe consider trading for Westbrook - i mean they got that really crazy Ryan Moats guy :P

singersp
02-14-2006, 08:29 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

^ Ha haa! You fricken had me hook, line, and sinker!

Ultra,

Consider yourself as just having been "Del Rio'd" :grin:

seaniemck7
02-14-2006, 09:06 PM
That sounds like Edge fits that profile perfectly :grin:

jordy
02-14-2006, 09:11 PM
man, i don't even know if i would want to spend so much money on edge, cause he's going to be expensive if you have guys like O.Smith coming back, you still would have Fason, moore and bennet as an option....ofcourse edge is a elite back, but it's all about the blocking....maybe we should spend more money on the IMO problem areas, like our linebackers and o-line.....

MrGopher16
02-14-2006, 09:18 PM
"jordy" wrote:

man, i don't even know if i would want to spend so much money on edge, cause he's going to be expensive if you have guys like O.Smith coming back, you still would have Fason, moore and bennet as an option....ofcourse edge is a elite back, but it's all about the blocking....maybe we should spend more money on the IMO problem areas, like our linebackers and o-line.....

This has been a topic of argument for awhile now. I agree with you on the fact that we should spend money on the offensive line and the linebackers. But I do know that i wouldn't like to spend the amount of money it would cost us to get a back like james or alexander. Such a large amount of money that could end up coming back to haunt us. With all the cap room we have, signing too many FA's will lead to a lot of backloaded contracts, and the cap room we have this year will slowly deplete in the following years until we have a problem. If we want a new RB on this team, I personally would prefer to see him come from the draft.

LuckyVike
02-14-2006, 09:24 PM
We've drafted a running back the past two years and still haven't come close to finding the next Alexander or Edge. This whole fix the O-Line and our ground game will be one of the top ranked in the league is killing me. Just because you have a good O-Line doesn't mean there's going to be holes so big that 18-Wheelers can drive through them every play. You STILL have to get a back that can make stuff happen.

VikesfaninWis
02-14-2006, 09:46 PM
We do not need to address the RB situation in the draft. Unless of course someone like LenDale White falls to us at #17, which will not happen. All the good RB's in the draft will be taken by the time we pick. So IMO, we need to go after Edge..

Save our draft picks for the LB's, SS's and OL.

MrGopher16
02-14-2006, 09:57 PM
"LuckyVike" wrote:

We've drafted a running back the past two years and still haven't come close to finding the next Alexander or Edge. This whole fix the O-Line and our ground game will be one of the top ranked in the league is killing me. Just because you have a good O-Line doesn't mean there's going to be holes so big that 18-Wheelers can drive through them every play. You STILL have to get a back that can make stuff happen.

Mewelde can make stuff happen, he proved that to us last year when tice let him play and gave him the carries to do so. And the last two years we didn't draft a rb first round either. Usually you cannot draft a guy in later rounds and expect him to be the next stud of the team.

jordy
02-14-2006, 10:01 PM
"LuckyVike" wrote:

We've drafted a running back the past two years and still haven't come close to finding the next Alexander or Edge. This whole fix the O-Line and our ground game will be one of the top ranked in the league is killing me. Just because you have a good O-Line doesn't mean there's going to be holes so big that 18-Wheelers can drive through them every play. You STILL have to get a back that can make stuff happen.

ofcourse you have got to have a rb that can make stuff happen, but if you have a o-line in front of you that blocks extremely well, i think alexander for example could have been replaced by a lower rated rb and the seahawks would still have ran for this much yards....it all starts up front, if you want a rb that can run without good blocking, you'v got to get a guy like Lt....if you fix the line, you don't have to have that high rated, high paid rb and still make a lot of yards...

MrGopher16
02-14-2006, 10:05 PM
"jordy" wrote:

"LuckyVike" wrote:

We've drafted a running back the past two years and still haven't come close to finding the next Alexander or Edge. This whole fix the O-Line and our ground game will be one of the top ranked in the league is killing me. Just because you have a good O-Line doesn't mean there's going to be holes so big that 18-Wheelers can drive through them every play. You STILL have to get a back that can make stuff happen.

ofcourse you have got to have a rb that can make stuff happen, but if you have a o-line in front of you that blocks extremely well, i think alexander for example could have been replaced by a lower rated rb and the seahawks would still have ran for this much yards....it all starts up front, if you want a rb that can run without good blocking, you'v got to get a guy like Lt....if you fix the line, you don't have to have that high rated, high paid rb and still make a lot of yards...


Exactly, how do you think Larry Johnson raked up so many yards playing for only a half of a season? KC has a monster o-line that's how. RB talent and o-line talent both play a factor in the rushing game.

NodakPaul
02-14-2006, 10:05 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

We do not need to address the RB situation in the draft. Unless of course someone like LenDale White falls to us at #17, which will not happen. All the good RB's in the draft will be taken by the time we pick. So IMO, we need to go after Edge..

Save our draft picks for the LB's, SS's and OL.

You're right that the next great running back wont fall to us in the draft, but I don't htink we need to put all our money and efforts into Edge. I think with a decent OLine Moore could be a pretty damn good running back.

V4L
02-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Alright sweet he wants a well rounded back..

Go for Edge!!

During the pro bowl they were talking about him always picking up key blocks.. Something Memo can't do..

Edge can run better then Mewelde..

And they both are good at catching the ball..

So let's go get Edge so we can have that multi-dimension back!

MrGopher16
02-14-2006, 10:09 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

We do not need to address the RB situation in the draft. Unless of course someone like LenDale White falls to us at #17, which will not happen. All the good RB's in the draft will be taken by the time we pick. So IMO, we need to go after Edge..

Save our draft picks for the LB's, SS's and OL.

You're right that the next great running back wont fall to us in the draft, but I don't htink we need to put all our money and efforts into Edge. I think with a decent OLine Moore could be a pretty gol 'darnit good running back.

I think Maroney is just as good as White, either of them could fit the bill here as an every down back.

singersp
02-15-2006, 01:53 AM
"LuckyVike" wrote:

We've drafted a running back the past two years and still haven't come close to finding the next Alexander or Edge. This whole fix the O-Line and our ground game will be one of the top ranked in the league is killing me. Just because you have a good O-Line doesn't mean there's going to be holes so big that 18-Wheelers can drive through them every play. You STILL have to get a back that can make stuff happen.

That's because we never drafted one until the 4th round.

I say we still go after speedy linebackers (Keep Newman) & get help on the front line.

I'd wait until Childress speaks with Onterrio (S.O.D.) & see what transpires out of that, before considering another back.

If we do pursue a FA back, I think Edge would give us more "bang for our buck" over Alexander.

hailtocarter
02-15-2006, 01:50 PM
I know most people wouldn't agree with this, but I think that Onterrio is the back for us. Obviously he hasn't been very reliable with his off the field mistakes, but I just have a feeling that he may pull a Koren and realize that his time is precious, and I have no doubt that with the right attitude and work ethic he can be an elite back in this league...even someone who can be a rushing champ. I've been looking at all of his video highlights and he has the talent to be at least a top 5 back. I really hope for him and the VIKES that he shapes up and he'll be our #1 guy next season...I see some great things possible from him.

jordy
02-15-2006, 02:42 PM
"hailtocarter" wrote:

I know most people wouldn't agree with this, but I think that Onterrio is the back for us. Obviously he hasn't been very reliable with his off the field mistakes, but I just have a feeling that he may pull a Koren and realize that his time is precious, and I have no doubt that with the right attitude and work ethic he can be an elite back in this league...even someone who can be a rushing champ. I've been looking at all of his video highlights and he has the talent to be at least a top 5 back. I really hope for him and the VIKES that he shapes up and he'll be our #1 guy next season...I see some great things possible from him.

i totally agree with you, Onterrio is just a great rb, that can be as great as guys like Lt and alexander...if he can just get his additude right i believe he is the best back for us

PurplePumpkin
02-15-2006, 03:16 PM
"jordy" wrote:

"hailtocarter" wrote:

I know most people wouldn't agree with this, but I think that Onterrio is the back for us. Obviously he hasn't been very reliable with his off the field mistakes, but I just have a feeling that he may pull a Koren and realize that his time is precious, and I have no doubt that with the right attitude and work ethic he can be an elite back in this league...even someone who can be a rushing champ. I've been looking at all of his video highlights and he has the talent to be at least a top 5 back. I really hope for him and the VIKES that he shapes up and he'll be our #1 guy next season...I see some great things possible from him.

i totally agree with you, Onterrio is just a great rb, that can be as great as guys like Lt and alexander...if he can just get his additude right i believe he is the best back for us

I would also agree with this. With a beefed up OL he could be better than ever. I dont think Fason can fill Moe 's shoes though.

seaniemck7
02-16-2006, 01:11 AM
I like Onterrio; he has skill, size and quick feet. However, has anyone seen what kind of shape he is in? When training camp rolls around, he will have been out of the game for about a year. I just don't have a lot of faith in him being ready to take over for the team.

I don't want to compare Smith with Mo Clarett, but he is a prime example of what can happen to a guy being out for that long. It just raises so many questions for me. Has he been hitting the peace pipe all this time? Has he watch any game film? Has he been working out with a professional trainer? etc. etc.

These days you can't walk in off the streets and make it through preseason minicamps like its Pop Warner football. Unless he has been working out like a madman, I fear a year riddled with injuries or plainly unproductive for O Smith.

mnvikes61
02-16-2006, 01:14 AM
I still say O. Smith is our best all around back. I hope we give him a shot with a mininum contract very similar to one we gave to Robinson this last season.