PDA

View Full Version : It could cost the Vikings a $10 mill bonus to resign Koren!!



Jordan
02-12-2006, 06:14 PM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/13851640.htm

DEVIKINGFAN!
02-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Wow that was allot of information.....?????

snowinapril
02-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Wow - Maybe he will be going to Carolina if they are going to be willing to pay him that? I guess that is what Pro Bowlers make.

It could cost the Vikings a $10 million bonus to re-sign receiver Koren Robinson.

Ltrey33
02-12-2006, 06:31 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Wow - Maybe he will be going to Carolina if they are going to be willing to pay him that? I guess that is what Pro Bowlers make.

It could cost the Vikings a $10 million bonus to re-sign receiver Koren Robinson.

That's what pro bowl RECIEVERS make...not kick returners! I think it would be great to resign Koren, but I don't want to miss out on a guy like Edgerrin James or a good offensive lineman to sign him.

Anyone know what a 10 million dollar bonus does to our salary cap?

NordicNed
02-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Being a restricted FA, we have the last say and decision to make..

Whatever someone offers K-Rob, we still have the upper hand in being able to match it..


I would have to wait and see how the Bonus was structured....If spread out over time or what.......

That would detemine if he is worth it or not....

But I still think he is a player we should try our hardest to keep happy, clean, and on the team...

Hey that ryhmes.....I'm a poet and didn't even know it.....LOL

Mr. Purple
02-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Just becuz we got him for cheap, dosnt mean hes gonna stay that way. Hes earned whatever it cost to retain him. The guy is a playmaker on the field. If we have the opp to resign him (for a reasonable price) and we dont, I for one will be very pi$$ed at the orginization.

NordicNed
02-12-2006, 06:54 PM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

Just becuz we got him for cheap, dosnt mean hes gonna stay that way. Hes earned whatever it cost to retain him. The guy is a playmaker on the field. If we have the opp to resign him (for a reasonable price) and we dont, I for one will be very pi$$ed at the orginization.

Thats how I feel also WOT...

To me, he has turned his life around and on the field he is a threat...

He has some mad skills for sure...

I really would be pissed if we didn't re-sign him..

Besides, my sister got me an autographed photo by him yesterday in HW.......I can't wait to see if it's an action shot or posed...

I'll for sure, post it here when I get it.....I'm picking her and my niece up at the airport on Tues......

Mr. Purple
02-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Exactly...Koren is just as good if not better then the likes or Daunte Hall and whats his name for the Texans. We gotta keep him...mainly for his special teams play.


Cant wait to see those pics Ned!

sleepagent
02-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Adios . . . Thanks for the 1 season. Time to put T-Will in to earn his paycheck!!!

snowinapril
02-12-2006, 06:59 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Wow - Maybe he will be going to Carolina if they are going to be willing to pay him that? I guess that is what Pro Bowlers make.

It could cost the Vikings a $10 million bonus to re-sign receiver Koren Robinson.

That's what pro bowl RECIEVERS make...not kick returners! I think it would be great to resign Koren, but I don't want to miss out on a guy like Edgerrin James or a good offensive lineman to sign him.

Anyone know what a 10 million dollar bonus does to our salary cap?

Yes, I was being a little sarcastic when I made that comment. I don't think that Childress would want to spend that much on a WR. I will not say he won't spend that money, but he did a lot in Philly before TO got there with average at best WRs. Then again, he has seen the difference in O when a star WR is invovled. If I am going to pay 10 mil, I am going to have to pay TO. I know that is not a popular decision, but I could live with it for a year or two.

singersp
02-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Yawn! Old news to me.

Sorry to disappoint you Jordan, but I already posted that earlier this morning. Here's the link;

It could cost the Vikings a $10 million bonus to re-sign receiver Koren Robinson (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18712&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60)

:wink:

snowinapril
02-12-2006, 07:05 PM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

Exactly...Koren is just as good if not better then the likes or Daunte Hall and whats his name for the Texans. We gotta keep him...mainly for his special teams play.


Cant wait to see those pics Ned!

Mathis is the Texan.

I could see a 6 mil bonus spread out over some time, and a 3 year contract in an amount that would make him the highest paid WR on the team by a nose hair.

It is all speculative right now. This could just be leverage put forth by an ageant.

VikesfaninWis
02-12-2006, 07:22 PM
"sleepagent" wrote:

Adios . . . Thanks for the 1 season. Time to put T-Will in to earn his paycheck!!!


Whats wrong with resigning K-Rob, and starting T-Will opposite of him? I don't think Burleson(if he stays) will be guaranteed to be a starter next season.

That 10mil talk is just that...Talk. If we have a chance to resign him, we would be stupid not to..

LuckyVike
02-12-2006, 07:35 PM
10 mill. might be too much to resign Koren. He was a solid player for us but we don't need to over pay when we have other positions to fill.

PurpleRide
02-12-2006, 07:46 PM
take the draft picks let him go.

cc21
02-12-2006, 07:46 PM
We have to resign this guy. He is so good and a lot of people would really miss him around here.

ejmat
02-12-2006, 07:49 PM
I agree that keeping KRob will benefit this team but I think 10M bonus is way too much for him right now. He earned a pro-bowl roster spot but that was as a ST guy. Not that it's not important but 10M is too much. If they can spread that over time that's one thing. Remember this is a guy that was cut at thee beginning of last season due to alcohol problems. I think it's great he has turned his life around and has played well but it's too soon to request that much. I do believe he is worth a decent contract but not that much of a bonus.

ItalianStallion
02-12-2006, 08:04 PM
I want K-Rob to re-sign, but the guy didn't even do a lot for us this season to merit 10 million. Sure he made some plays, but he only looked good in comparison to the rest of our non-playmaking offense.

It's like seriously, he didn't put up anywhere near the stats required to get that kind of money. Even his stats from the past don't merit that kind of money. Just because he managed to not get wasted for 5 months isn't enough security to guarantee a guy 10 million.

COJOMAY
02-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Carolina hasn't got any wiggle room on their cap. I doubt that they are gonna be paying him a $10 million bonus.

Ltrey33
02-12-2006, 08:10 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Yawn! Old news to me.

Sorry to disappoint you Jordan, but I already posted that earlier this morning. Here's the link;

It could cost the Vikings a $10 million bonus to re-sign receiver Koren Robinson (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18712&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60)

:wink:

Geeze singer! You crazy!

collegeguyjeff
02-12-2006, 10:34 PM
wow somebody posted something before somone else thats something to be proud of.

singersp
02-12-2006, 10:44 PM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

wow somebody posted something before somone else thats something to be proud of.

The reason for it is, so that we minimize the number of different threads talking about the same topic, Mr. Negativity. :lol:

olson_10
02-12-2006, 11:05 PM
he certainly benefits the team in the kick return game, and if we resign him, then it gives us a real nice piece of trade bait with troy williamson..k rob is just another of our average receivers, but we need him since he finally got our special teams going after years of being awful in that department

olson_10
02-12-2006, 11:09 PM
i think its foolish to give him THAT kind of money considering how he really only made about 2 big plays for us as a RECEIVER this year..who knows? maybe he collects the big paycheck and then goes back to having the butterfingers he had in seattle and starts dropping every pass thrown his way and starts drinking again..could happen

CrazyVikingsFan
02-12-2006, 11:22 PM
I think we would be crazy not to re-sign him. He adds that deep threat in our offence until Twill is ready to step up. We gave him a chance when no one else would. He loves this organisation. Did you see him in the obstacle challage? He tore threw that but he droped the last pass. He would have won the whole thing. Also just to clariffy Koren is not a restricted free agent. He has a rule in his contract that the vikings can match any offer he has recieved but we cant collect draft picks from him.

ChiTownVike
02-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Thats crazy that we would have to pay a kick returner $10 million dollars

see ya Koren

ChiTownVike
02-12-2006, 11:33 PM
"K-Rob18" wrote:

I think we would be crazy not to re-sign him. He adds that deep threat in our offence until Twill is ready to step up. We gave him a chance when no one else would. He loves this organisation. Did you see him in the obstacle challage? He tore threw that but he droped the last pass. He would have won the whole thing. Also just to clariffy Koren is not a restricted free agent. He has a rule in his contract that the vikings can match any offer he has recieved but we cant collect draft picks from him.

Exactly

I would not pay a kick returner 10 million to resign that cant catch a pass in a obstacle course!!!

looks like ur gonna have to change ur name

Caine
02-12-2006, 11:45 PM
"K-Rob18" wrote:

I think we would be crazy not to re-sign him. He adds that deep threat in our offence until Twill is ready to step up. We gave him a chance when no one else would. He loves this organisation. Did you see him in the obstacle challage? He tore threw that but he droped the last pass. He would have won the whole thing. Also just to clariffy Koren is not a restricted free agent. He has a rule in his contract that the vikings can match any offer he has recieved but we cant collect draft picks from him.

Correction: He loves Mike Tice. Tice is the one who courted him. Tice is the one who contected him in rehab. Tice is the one who went out on a limb for him.

And Koren knows that.

The fact that - at the time - Tice was our head coach doesn't automatically translate to "Koren loves the Vikings". After all, he watched the Vikings uncerimoniously dump the guy that went out on a limb for him. That HAD to make an impression.

As for Koren himself. He was only our kick returner for 2 reasons:

1: We didn't get him until late, so he didn't know the offense.
2: We are incredibly deep at receiver.

He didn't break into the receiving game until the latter part of the season...but did very well once he did.

So, if we want to keep him, we'll have to pony up at the receiver rate...which is what he truly is. And, in my opinion, it may be worthwhile to do so. Bonus money doesn't affect the cap nearly as much as contract money does, and we can probably lower the bonus money if we load him with incentives.

Bottom line is he's a quality receiver who is now - finally - getting his feet under himself. I think making every REASONABLE effort to keep him is a wise course to follow.

Caine

CrazyVikingsFan
02-12-2006, 11:46 PM
"Williamson8211" wrote:

"K-Rob18" wrote:

I think we would be crazy not to re-sign him. He adds that deep threat in our offence until Twill is ready to step up. We gave him a chance when no one else would. He loves this organisation. Did you see him in the obstacle challage? He tore threw that but he droped the last pass. He would have won the whole thing. Also just to clariffy Koren is not a restricted free agent. He has a rule in his contract that the vikings can match any offer he has recieved but we cant collect draft picks from him.

Exactly

I would not pay a kick returner 10 million to resign that cant catch a pass in a obstacle course!!!

looks like ur gonna have to change ur name

Other people dropped passes too. When its the last pass and your running as fast as you can you sometimes lose focus. I know I have dropped a pass before and in anyone in the nfl says they havent dropped a pass they are lying.

mr.woo
02-13-2006, 12:09 AM
this guy is awsome we need to resign him but i dont know if 10 mil will be cool with ziggy

GreenBaySlackers
02-13-2006, 12:10 AM
:shock: 10 million is a whole bunch, maybe we can talk him down from that because that is a little exessive taking everything inot consideration...

BigMoInAZ
02-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Well, considering the source of the story, I'll wait to exercise my judgement on whether or not we should pay a former first round pick his market value!

olson_10
02-13-2006, 07:23 AM
"K-Rob18" wrote:

"Williamson8211" wrote:

"K-Rob18" wrote:

I think we would be crazy not to re-sign him. He adds that deep threat in our offence until Twill is ready to step up. We gave him a chance when no one else would. He loves this organisation. Did you see him in the obstacle challage? He tore threw that but he droped the last pass. He would have won the whole thing. Also just to clariffy Koren is not a restricted free agent. He has a rule in his contract that the vikings can match any offer he has recieved but we cant collect draft picks from him.

Exactly

I would not pay a kick returner 10 million to resign that cant catch a pass in a obstacle course!!!

looks like ur gonna have to change ur name

Other people dropped passes too. When its the last pass and your running as fast as you can you sometimes lose focus. I know I have dropped a pass before and in anyone in the nfl says they havent dropped a pass they are lying.
sure, but koren has a history of doing it in regular season and playoff games..and who cares that you dropped a pass? who are you anyways?

midgensa
02-13-2006, 07:32 AM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

wow somebody posted something before somone else thats something to be proud of.

Wow ... you can actually use a computer? That honestly is something to be proud of ... most people with an extra chromosone have a tough time.

midgensa
02-13-2006, 07:35 AM
I think paying Koren is a more than reasonable thing to do. I don't think he will be looking at 10 million up front ... but expecting to be paid like a playmaking receiver makes since ... especially after he played so well to end the season.
For all those thinking we get picks if we lose him ... we don't (think someone else mentioned this) ... so people will be offering and we will have the chance to match (that is in his contract, he is technically a UFA). So we will not get any compensation if he goes somewhere else ... so if affordable, we have no reason to let him go.

ItalianStallion
02-13-2006, 07:44 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

wow somebody posted something before somone else thats something to be proud of.

Wow ... you can actually use a computer? That honestly is something to be proud of ... most people with an extra chromosone have a tough time.

Yah like Klinefelter's syndrome. Sterility sucks.

collegeguyjeff
02-13-2006, 07:51 AM
from what i saw this year i didn't see anything koren robinson did to get 10mil guranteed signing bonus. i'd have incentives in the contract that is better.

BBQ Platypus
02-13-2006, 03:43 PM
We need all the help we can get on offense. We cannot let an explosive player leave. We need to keep him, regardless of cost, if we expect our offense to be any better than it was at the beginning of last season. Part of Daunte's problem was that he didn't have a solid #1 receiver like KRob to throw the ball to.

If we let him go, expect more mediocrity from our offense. Troy just isn't good enough to be a #1 receiver right now.

Del Rio
02-13-2006, 03:59 PM
It's not my money. As long as it leaves us with the option to go after at least one skill position in free agency as well as resign some of our players then pay the man.

If it doesn't allow us to do that then let him walk. No one man is greater then the team and if his contract would hurt the team then he isn't worth it.

If he played all year at WR and produced at an all pro at that position then you can start to entertain the idea of crippling the team by sending him a dump truck of cash.

So if we can do it, and be in a good position cap wise, I say do it.

If doing it hurts our chances to land some other players and our free agents, then try to work something out or wave goodbye as he joins Tice in Jacksonville.

PackSux!
02-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Correction: He loves Mike Tice. Tice is the one who courted him. Tice is the one who contected him in rehab. Tice is the one who went out on a limb for him.

And Koren knows that.



This could be true but dont forget who had the ultimate say so and that is the man signing checks, not meathead Tice.

mnvikes61
02-13-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't think we should give him that much cash, if he is willing to lower his dollar amount then we should try and keep him. 10 million dollars is a lot to spend when we still have problems at o-line, which is the key to success on offense. Also remeber Childress said that the two MOST important units on the team were D-Line and O-Line. Also remeber that Childress was part of Iggles unit that didn't have a true #1 WR until they signed Owens and they made it 3 straight times to NFC Championship before they signed Owens, I doubt he'll be crying himself to sleep if we lose somebody who is asking for too much money.

NodakPaul
02-13-2006, 04:35 PM
The only thing the link said was that it could cost us a $10 mil bonus to resign Koren. How did they come up with that? Is it because of the first refusal clause. If so, then we only need to match an offer that K-Rob already accepted. If another team is willing to pay him a $10 mil bonus, then good for him, but I find it rather unlikely at this juncture of his career.

Plus, it depends on how the bonus is written up and how it is spread out. it is possible to run a bonus without affecting the salary cap very much. And with the possibility of the salary cap going away when Players Union renegotiates the CBA, it may not become too much of a factor.

Does anybody really know what his contract says? I didn't realize until a couple of weeks ago that we worked first refusal into his contract somehow.

And finally, everyone who keeps saying that $10 mil is too much for a kick returner have been smoking some of O-Smith's stash. :grin: Koren will be the number 1 or number 2 reciever on the Vikes next year if he stays. I like the idea of K-Rob, Burleson, and Williamson and the 1-2-3 lineup.

ChezPizmo
02-13-2006, 04:38 PM
I'd love to keep K-Rob but 10 mill is alot of money. We could very well give another superstar that much and maybe even get more production in that area and others.

Big C
02-13-2006, 04:38 PM
I agree. Koren opened up our offense for us. I personally think WR is greater need for us than RB. If Troy blossoms this season we'll have the perfect 1, 2 combo with Taylor playing #3 WR (doubt burly will be back). We need a playmaking WR. We have one. I don't see why we let him go.

PackSux!
02-13-2006, 04:45 PM
I agree. Koren opened up our offense for us. I personally think WR is greater need for us than RB. If Troy blossoms this season we'll have the perfect 1, 2 combo with Taylor playing #3 WR (doubt burly will be back). We need a playmaking WR. We have one. I don't see why we let him go.

Where is nate going? he said long ago he wants to retire as a viking.

Our starting recievers next year will be
1. Nate Burleson
2. Koren robinson
3. Travis Taylor
4,5. Either marcus robinson and troy williamson, which ever way ya see put.

snowinapril
02-13-2006, 05:30 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

The only thing the link said was that it could cost us a $10 mil bonus to resign Koren. How did they come up with that? Is it because of the first refusal clause. If so, then we only need to match an offer that K-Rob already accepted. If another team is willing to pay him a $10 mil bonus, then good for him, but I find it rather unlikely at this juncture of his career.

Plus, it depends on how the bonus is written up and how it is spread out. it is possible to run a bonus without affecting the salary cap very much. And with the possibility of the salary cap going away when Players Union renegotiates the CBA, it may not become too much of a factor.

Good Point! I doubt if they will do away with the CAP though. Last I heard Tags say about the CBA, is that they were getting further away from each other in recent talks.

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Does anybody really know what his contract says? I didn't realize until a couple of weeks ago that we worked first refusal into his contract somehow.

He is technically an UFA with that clause in there. So he is like RFA but if the other team does sign him, they don't have to give up any compensation in the form of the draft or such.

"NodakPaul" wrote:

And finally, everyone who keeps saying that $10 mil is too much for a kick returner have been smoking some of O-Smith's stash. :grin: Koren will be the number 1 or number 2 reciever on the Vikes next year if he stays. I like the idea of K-Rob, Burleson, and Williamson and the 1-2-3 lineup.

I said that sarcastically. But because he didn't get into the lineup as a WR until later in the season, due to the play book and all, he really was just a KR for the most part. With the new coaching staff coming in, it is just like starting over for him. New plays, new rules, there is no loyalty here and there is nothing that is any easier about staying here in MN or going to Car other than moving a few items that he probably managed to move into thte state of MN. What I am saying is he doesn't have a lot of ties here in MN he can just pick up and go.

Caine
02-13-2006, 05:35 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:


Correction: He loves Mike Tice. Tice is the one who courted him. Tice is the one who contected him in rehab. Tice is the one who went out on a limb for him.

And Koren knows that.



This could be true but dont forget who had the ultimate say so and that is the man signing checks, not meathead Tice.

I grant you that Tice didn't sign the checks, but he DID make the pkone calls, lay the groundwork, and show Koren that he was wanted...

No matter what anyone thinks of Tice as a Coach, one thing that we were very good at was evaluating talent while he was here and a part of the process. We now have a brand new group doing it, and it remains to be seen how well they do. I, for one, am on pins and needles waiting to see how they fare in the upcomming free agency/draft.

As for Burleson, he honestly didn't show much all season long. He played in 12 games - started 9 - and only logged 30 catches. Koren, who appeared in 15 games (As a Kick returner), but started only 5, logged 22 catches...but 5 of those were for 20+ whereas Burleson caught only one 20 yarder.

With Taylor acting as the possession guy, and the Robinsons acting as mid and deep threats, Burleson quickly showed that he was VERY replaceable. And, even considering the injuries, he really only had ONE memorable catch - the flip-up in the end zone.

All things considered, right now, I'd take Koren over Nate.

Caine

Del Rio
02-13-2006, 05:42 PM
I guess it depends on who you want to blame.

IMO you can't guage Nate's abilities on this season alone. That is the irony some people will stand and defend Culpepper's horrible season but turn around and judge a guy like Burleson after his rough injury prone season.

I'm not saying Caine has done that. I am saying why one and not the other? Maybe Burleson's troubles were a result of Culpeppers ass soup production or vice versa.

Robinson played well for a handful of games at WR and yet we want to throw the bank at him? Yeah it's a warm fuzzy feel good story about overcoming a problem and second chances and yada yada yada, but he needs to play 16 games at WR before I turn my back on a guy who has sweat and bleed for the Vikings for the last few years.

canadian_vikes_fan
02-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Before we start drawing conclusions, I think we should make sure we get the facts straight. On that link, all it said was "it could." No proof, no description, or anything.

So I decided to follow it up, and I looked up Dante Hall's 2004 salary. He had a total salary of $1.1 million including bonuses, etc. So I think this whole $10 million bonus is a whole buncha crap.

NodakPaul
02-13-2006, 06:43 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I guess it depends on who you want to blame.

IMO you can't guage Nate's abilities on this season alone. That is the irony some people will stand and defend Culpepper's horrible season but turn around and judge a guy like Burleson after his rough injury prone season.

I'm not saying Caine has done that. I am saying why one and not the other? Maybe Burleson's troubles were a result of Culpeppers jiggly butt soup production or vice versa.

Robinson played well for a handful of games at WR and yet we want to throw the bank at him? Yeah it's a warm fuzzy feel good story about overcoming a problem and second chances and yada yada yada, but he needs to play 16 games at WR before I turn my back on a guy who has sweat and bleed for the Vikings for the last few years.

I agree completely. Nate is still an outstanding reciever, despite an off season. (And Pep is an outstanding QB, despite an off season) I would like to see both of them back next year.

BTW. jiggly butt soup?!? Man this profanity filter makes me laught sometimes!

thanatoschristou
02-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Brian Williams intiated the conversation with Koren, actually. Tice made sure he went out and got koren, but williams was the one who intially started the procedure. With Tice and Williams gone it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Caine
02-13-2006, 07:18 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

I guess it depends on who you want to blame.

IMO you can't guage Nate's abilities on this season alone. That is the irony some people will stand and defend Culpepper's horrible season but turn around and judge a guy like Burleson after his rough injury prone season.

I'm not saying Caine has done that. I am saying why one and not the other? Maybe Burleson's troubles were a result of Culpeppers jiggly butt soup production or vice versa.

Robinson played well for a handful of games at WR and yet we want to throw the bank at him? Yeah it's a warm fuzzy feel good story about overcoming a problem and second chances and yada yada yada, but he needs to play 16 games at WR before I turn my back on a guy who has sweat and bleed for the Vikings for the last few years.

I agree completely. Nate is still an outstanding reciever, despite an off season. (And Pep is an outstanding QB, despite an off season) I would like to see both of them back next year.

BTW. jiggly butt soup?!? Man this profanity filter makes me laught sometimes!
I was pretty critical of Daunte before - and after - his injury...I make no apologies for that. My stance on him is still, "wait-n-see"...with a heavy helping of "I hope he recovers" tossed in for good measure.

Burleson hasn't done anything WRONG...he simply didn't stand out this season like he did last season. Instead, Travis Taylor showed up big time as a possession guy, while Robinson 1 and 2 showed that they can stretch the field. Williamson had flashes of ability, but nothing that says, "Randy who?" to me yet...nor did I expect him to in his rookie season.

Being brutally honest, however, I find myself thinking that Burleson makes an ideal #2/#3 receiver...but doesn't quite have what it takes to lead the charge. 2 years ago, in Moss' absence, he stepped up and played extremely well...and a lot of us thought that meant that he would slot right in to the #1 spot. But there's a big difference being the #2 guy and filling the #1 role for a few weeks while defenses are readjusting to the #1 guys absence versus being the #1 guy and haveing Defenses key on YOU.

When the rubber hit the road, Nate faltered. Now, a part of that was due to injury - both his and Culpepper's - but what about the rest?

I guess, when you boil it all down, I am no longer of the mindset that any specific offensive skill player is indispensible. Moss was the only one in that category...and he's gone (and I STILL think it was a stupid trade). Culpepper isn't the only QB who can lead us, Johnson showed that. Burleson, Robinson #1 and #2, Taylor, and Williamson are all simply spokes in the wheel. And our running back corps is entirely interchangeable.

PLUS, we have the prospect of a new coach and a new offensive system coming in. None of really know what we're going to see...although from all indications it'll be a much more conservative offense than what we're used to. The days of the high flying receivers and the big gun QB may be over in Minnesota...replaced by the short precision passing game and smash-mouth running game. None of us REALLY know what we're going to see...or how well any of our guys will fit in.

So, who do we really NEED right now? Only Childress and Bevel know for sure...and they aren't talking.

This carries over to the "D" as well. Who will fit and who won't? Who knows?

All in all, I find I can't get real excited over any of the roster changes - real or imagined - because the Vikings are changing...and none of knows anymore what will work best with our team. We won't until next season...which makes this off season even more exciting because the players we go after will be an indication of what type of team we plan to field.

So, is Koren worth it? Who knows. 10 million is a bit steep...but I doubt that's the real number. And we have yet to see what kind of offense we're going to have, or how well his particular skills will compliment that.

Sorry, I guess this is a really (really) long winded way to say that I don't know...but I sure an anxious to find out.

Caine

coreyd
02-13-2006, 07:18 PM
He is good but not that good. Glad he had an opp to go out there and show off some talent, but its not like the guy was tearing it up at the wide out position. Looks like this is speculation, but if it were true, I say let him go.

Del Rio
02-13-2006, 07:36 PM
I don't know either man.

No one stood out this year IMO. It was more a year of growth and experience for our team. No one really shined on the offensive side of the ball.

Hopefully they can get stable enough that someone has that opportunity.

briboy75
02-13-2006, 07:55 PM
The guy obviously has value both on special teams, and he's our best WR. Debating this doesn't mean much until he gets offers from other teams. Then we can decide if its worth it to keep him.

Ltrey33
02-13-2006, 07:57 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I don't know either man.

No one stood out this year IMO. It was more a year of growth and experience for our team. No one really shined on the offensive side of the ball.

Hopefully they can get stable enough that someone has that opportunity.

You forgot Michael Bennett. :lol:

singersp
02-13-2006, 08:14 PM
"PackSux!" wrote:


Correction: He loves Mike Tice. Tice is the one who courted him. Tice is the one who contected him in rehab. Tice is the one who went out on a limb for him.

And Koren knows that.



This could be true but dont forget who had the ultimate say so and that is the man signing checks, not meathead Tice.

:roll: Some people just don't get it.

If that "meathead" as you call Tice, hadn't pursued K-Rob & was willing to give him a chance & encouraged him, Wilf wouldn't be signing his checks right now.

K-Rob will always be greatful to Tice for what he did for him.

NodakPaul
02-13-2006, 08:18 PM
One of the good things about Tice was that he was extremely popular with the players. He has always been known as a player's coach. That is one of the reasons I think he will be a great head coach eventually...

ejmat
02-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Del Rio and Caine both make a lot of sense. Is Koren a good player? I think he is and he has a lot of potential. Is he worth 10M? I don't think so as of now. He provided a spark for us on STs and a little bit on O. Nothing to warrant a 10M signing bonus along with the rest of a yearly salary.

I hope the Vikes do re-sign him. For that amount of money, I'm not sure. I would rather bring in a star (such as James) and pay him that kind of signing bonus. He's earned it IMO.

Skyliner
02-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Signing bonuses don't count toward a team's cap for a given year.The cost is spread out over the length of his contract usually spread out towards the end of the contract.

MrGopher16
02-14-2006, 01:31 AM
"Skyliner" wrote:

Signing bonuses don't count toward a team's cap for a given year.The cost is spread out over the length of his contract usually spread out towards the end of the contract.

That's why I see a problem with signing him with that kind of a deal. Sure we have a lot of cap room this season, and Wilf is making or planning on making moves with that cap room to sign some talent to our team. But in doing that our cap room becomes slimmer as the years go by. I'm not a fan of huge backloaded contracts...they usually end up coming back to haunt you.

smootbythefoot
02-14-2006, 05:06 AM
It would be stupid to resign koren robinson for T.O. money

If ziggy can pay that much for k-rob why doesnt he just go after TO?

NodakPaul
02-14-2006, 05:23 AM
"smootbythefoot" wrote:

It would be stupid to resign koren robinson for T.O. money

If ziggy can pay that much for k-rob why doesnt he just go after TO?

Hmmmm, let me think. Sign a cancerous, team splitting egomaniac who has already had one season ending fight with our new coach, or sign a hard working, humble, team player who can bring just as much team as aforementioned egomanic.

Touch call. :roll:

umaguma1979
02-14-2006, 05:35 AM
I like Koren, but remember when Tommy Kramer only came outta rehab only to go back, come back, and then go back.

Once you're gone, you can't come back...when yo're outta of th eblue and into the black.

Plus, with Burleson, Williamson, Robinson, & Taylor - the Vikes already exceed any collective group childress worked with in Philly.

purpleFavreEaters
02-14-2006, 06:18 AM
DAng!

singersp
02-14-2006, 06:47 AM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

I like Koren, but remember when Tommy Kramer only came outta rehab only to go back, come back, and then go back.

Not everyone gets it the first time around. Some never do.

I'ts just the way it is. Usually because they are trying for the wrong reasons.

I've read K-Robs comments & know how humble he has become.

You can trust me when I say he's on the right path. Let's hope he stays there. :wink:

purpleFavreEaters
02-14-2006, 06:52 AM
No way should Koren get T.O. money we might as well just Sign T.O for T.O. money. Koren has always had alot of potential and last year he finally showed it, however that was kick returning. He was not that stellar as a WR. He did ok dont get me wrong but if he is to get the big bucks I feel he should supply us with another pro bowl season then we give him that contract, until then lets wait it out.

umaguma1979
02-14-2006, 06:57 AM
Maybe for a few million - I could be humble as well.

singersp
02-14-2006, 07:07 AM
"purpleFavreEaters" wrote:

No way should Koren get T.O. money we might as well just Sign T.O for T.O. money. Koren has always had alot of potential and last year he finally showed it, however that was kick returning. He was not that stellar as a WR. He did ok dont get me wrong but if he is to get the big bucks I feel he should supply us with another pro bowl season then we give him that contract, until then lets wait it out.

We can't wait it out. He's a free agent.

We either match what another team is willing to pay him, or he's gone.

singersp
02-14-2006, 07:09 AM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

Maybe for a few million - I could be humble as well.

When it comes to rehab & getting clean, money has nothing to do with becoming humble.

gregair13
02-14-2006, 07:57 AM
i really dont care either way. we have 4 other guys who can get the job done just as good. i would be sad to see bureslon go, but korb, big deal. let him go make his money somewhere else.

smootbythefoot
02-14-2006, 08:06 AM
I think that if T.O. gets his money, then he'll shut up and play.
T.O. is about 8 times a player k-rob wishes he was

MrGopher16
02-14-2006, 08:09 AM
I don't think TO will ever shut up and play. That's what everyone said when he went to Philly, change of scenes...a fresh start...that lasted all of 1 year! I'd rather have a player who's out on the field rather than one who is causing so much trouble that you have to sit him.

But hey, that's just me. :wink:

Caine
02-14-2006, 10:55 AM
"gregair13" wrote:

i really dont care either way. we have 4 other guys who can get the job done just as good. i would be sad to see bureslon go, but korb, big deal. let him go make his money somewhere else.

On this item we disagree, but without knowing more about what type of offense were going to field, and what type of players we'll need, I can't presonally say, "Spend the money".

Too many variables right now, but it's also premature to say, "dump him". After all, we've heard no "Official" word that he's asking for that type of money....just that other teams might be interested in him (Which is kind of a "duh!!" statement, of COURSE they're interested!!).

Anyway, it'll all come down to fit and funds. Does he fit our future scheme? If so, what type of funds are we willing to commit to him? And we won't know the answer to the latter half until we know the former half.

Forget loyalty...Tice gave him the break, and all of Koren's loyalty is now the Asst. Head Coach in Jacksonville. He doesn't owe us JACK.

Personally, I like him and hope we keep him...but if not, someone else will come along. They always do.

Caine

singersp
02-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Posted on Tue, Feb. 14, 2006

Vikings need to re-sign Koren Robinson

BY BOB SANSEVERE
Pioneer Press

Koren Robinson. Brian Williams. Lance Johnstone.

In that order, those are the free agents the Vikings should try hardest to keep.

Robinson has shown he's a dangerous receiver and kick returner when he has his personal life sorted out. The Vikings have the right to match offers from other teams, and they should do just that.

The Vikings should accommodate Williams' desire to start. With Antoine Winfield and Fred Smoot expected to start at cornerback, the Vikings have to persuade Williams to move to strong safety to replace fellow free agent Corey Chavous. Williams can handle the switch, and he has more value than Chavous because of his cover skills.

Johnstone is worth retaining because of his ability to stalk quarterbacks. His 28.5 sacks over the past three seasons are the 11th most in the NFL during that period.

As for free agents the Vikings should target from other teams, Philadelphia Eagles offensive tackle Jon Runyan would be a good fit because he has played under new coach Brad Childress — and, oh, yeah, he's talented, too.

And while Shaun Alexander is the marquee running back among free agents, the Vikings already have a back suited for Childress' West Coast offense. It's Mewelde Moore. He can run. He can catch. The question is, can he stay healthy?

If Childress isn't convinced Moore can avoid game-robbing injuries, then he'd better find a running back through free agency or the draft. And while he's at it, a couple of speedy linebackers would help, too.

Bob Sansevere can be reached at bsansevere@pioneerpress.com

Re-sign K-rob (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/columnists/13864818.htm)

digital420
02-14-2006, 02:05 PM
I believe KRob will be woth a large contract, but for me 2 things need to happen..
1. He proves he can be just as versitile as a WCO WR...

2. He continue's his personal and professional goal of always moving foward.


DiGiTaL

BigMoInAZ
02-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the great posts Caine! Very sensible approach and reasoning! I hate the waiting, but what else can we do! As far as the Sansevere article, my question to the team is "Why wait?" Make the kid an honest offer ASAP and don't wait to match some other teams offer! Convince him of his worth and sign him before FA begins! That's how I hope Wilf and company deal with the FAs on the team and yes Williams does need to be resigned as well and convinced his opportunity to excel will come from playing the SS position for the Minnesota Vikings!

What happened? Did someone kick old Sansevere in the nuts? He finally wrote a sensible article FOR ONCE! :wink:

singersp
02-14-2006, 03:01 PM
"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

What happened? Did someone kick old Sansevere in the nuts? He finally wrote a sensible article FOR ONCE! :wink:

Every now & then, the media can have a moment of intelligence.

ejmat
02-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Great article. I agree with it 100%. I also agree the Vikes should put an offer on the table for K-Rob. Not 10M but a reasonable offer to let him know they want him to be a Viking. To someone like KRob that has all the meaning in the world. Last year he could have made more money elsewhere but decided to join the Vikings because of the way Tice treated him. Dignity and respect means a lot to some people. You give him an offer and he would probably stay a Viking.

MrGopher16
02-14-2006, 07:42 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

Great article. I agree with it 100%. I also agree the Vikes should put an offer on the table for K-Rob. Not 10M but a reasonable offer to let him know they want him to be a Viking. To someone like KRob that has all the meaning in the world. Last year he could have made more money elsewhere but decided to join the Vikings because of the way Tice treated him. Dignity and respect means a lot to some people. You give him an offer and he would probably stay a Viking.

Agreed, we should give him an offer but definitely not a 10 million bonus. It's not a realistic amount of money to offer based on the talent that he brings to the team. Don't get me wrong I like him, he's a great player...just not 10 million dollars great.

collegeguyjeff
02-14-2006, 11:26 PM
this is just speculation

VKG4LFE
02-16-2006, 02:07 AM
10 mil....sorry folks, not worth it. Do what you did this year, plus more receving yards then we'll talk.