PDA

View Full Version : What position is the weakest?



BigEasyViking
02-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Now that the season is over it seems that the talking starts. Who needs to go who needs to stay? What positions do we need to work on in FA and the draft etc. Now there are many different opinions that I have seen but what I would like to know is what position on the Vikings is the Weakest and WHY?

Personally I feel that our weekest position is still LB. I think that we are worlds better than we were last year at this time but we still have a long ways to go. This is the area that i would like to definatley work on via free agency and the draft. I feel that the LB's that we have are good at defending the run up the middle but aren't quick enough to stop the runs to the outside. I also feel that they struggle in coverage as well, which isn't good when we are switching to a cover 2 defense. I'd like to see at least two new LB's added this offseason. Hopefully Julian Peterson is one of them.

XxS2TheEvoxX
02-12-2006, 10:52 AM
I agree, linebacker is our biggest need right now. With Keith Newman and Sam Cowart as free agents, and a struggling Napoleon Harris we definitely need to pick up a couple of linebackers this offseason whether it's through draft or free agency.

I'd love Akin Ayodele at linebacker right now.

collegeguyjeff
02-12-2006, 11:11 AM
i would say our linebackers, strong safety, and right side of our offensive line.

olson_10
02-12-2006, 12:58 PM
linebacker, offensive line, and im gonna go out on a limb here and say WR..no big name playmaker at WR hurts no matter how any of you look at it..and koren robinson isnt the answer to that either, tho we should obviously resign him for his kick returning ability, and the fact that hes better than taylor, which really doesnt say that much...RB i would say is an issue as well considering how the committee thing really hasnt worked for us against any team that is half decent on defense

mr.woo
02-13-2006, 02:34 AM
we are loaded at wr that isane to say its one of our weakness and im gonna agree and say lb is definitly are weakness barley beating out o-line

canadian_vikes_fan
02-13-2006, 02:45 AM
Linebacker and SS.

I'm hoping we sign either Peterson or Witherspoon. I think they'd both fit perfectly into our new Cover 2 system, which relies on fast linebackers who are able to drop into coverage. Maybe we could get both!!!

VikingsTw
02-13-2006, 02:46 AM
WR, LOL. We currently have 3 guys on the roster that have had 1,000 yard seasons. We have 3 first rounders. Your crazy.


Probably LB, with all the high draft pics we have it really shouldn't be but it is, i dont know wether to blame the players or the coaching, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some new blood.

Then Saftey, Sharper is solid but injuries happen, offord is coming off an ACL injury and Fox is a CB trying to play safety. Chavous is gone gone, so we need to draft or go FA for a Safety. I still think Dexter Jackson is a possiblitly, there's no reason to think otherwise, a proven playmaker who has played under Tomlin. Tomlin would love to have some guys that have at least played the scheme.

ThaSuperFreak33
02-13-2006, 02:47 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

linebacker, offensive line, and im gonna go out on a limb here and say WR..no big name playmaker at WR hurts no matter how any of you look at it..and koren robinson isnt the answer to that either, tho we should obviously resign him for his kick returning ability, and the fact that hes better than taylor, which really doesnt say that much...RB i would say is an issue as well considering how the committee thing really hasnt worked for us against any team that is half decent on defense

I agree with you on all points. We do need a big WR to open things up for us especially if we get a good RB. LB & O-Line each need a few pickups as well. Peterson would be great.

ThaSuperFreak33
02-13-2006, 02:51 AM
"mr.woo" wrote:

we are loaded at wr that isane to say its one of our weakness and im gonna agree and say lb is definitly are weakness barley beating out o-line

We are loaded with average WR's not 1 great WR on the team. Hopefully Troy Williamson will pan out to get much better but a stud WR would be better for our QB situation whoever that may be.

canadian_vikes_fan
02-13-2006, 02:55 AM
"ThaSuperFreak33" wrote:

"mr.woo" wrote:

we are loaded at wr that isane to say its one of our weakness and im gonna agree and say lb is definitly are weakness barley beating out o-line

We are loaded with average WR's not 1 great WR on the team. Hopefully Troy Williamson will pan out to get much better but a stud WR would be better for our QB situation whoever that may be.A good team does not need to have one superstar WR to win. We had Moss before, and where did he take us???

TO never brought the Super Bowl to Philly.

Now let's look at the Patriots. Arguably the best football team in the last ten years, and yet their best receiver was Deion Branch.

WR is not a position that you need to have superstars, because even the best receivers will only affect the game in maybe 8-10 plays again. I'd rather have a stud QB or RB or LB that will affect almost all the plays.

VikingsTw
02-13-2006, 02:56 AM
"ThaSuperFreak33" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

linebacker, offensive line, and im gonna go out on a limb here and say WR..no big name playmaker at WR hurts no matter how any of you look at it..and koren robinson isnt the answer to that either, tho we should obviously resign him for his kick returning ability, and the fact that hes better than taylor, which really doesnt say that much...RB i would say is an issue as well considering how the committee thing really hasnt worked for us against any team that is half decent on defense

I agree with you on all points. We do need a big WR to open things up for us especially if we get a good RB. LB & O-Line each need a few pickups as well. Peterson would be great.

What we need is an offensive line that can protect our QB long enough to get the ball to our WR's. Here we go again with our fans blaming the WR's because we had no running game or offensive line. IT NEVER FAILS.

Nate Burlson is a good WR, a proven 1,000 yard WR in his second year, lets give up on him.

Williamson has so much potential with his naturaul ability, a 1st rounder 7th overall, lets give up on him.

Koren Robinson, a high first round pic, proven he's a 1,000 yard WR, our best WR last year, missed trainig camp in all, has got his life together, sky is the limit, lets let him go FA.

Robinson and TT, great depth, reliable WR.

cc21
02-13-2006, 02:58 AM
Backer and O-line.

PurplePeopleEaters
02-13-2006, 02:59 AM
AKIN AYODELE
EDGERRIN JAMES

VikingsTw
02-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Dude Akin is going nowhere. Del Rio is not stupid he understands the importance of great LB's. Pipe Dream.

EJ is definitly my pic at RB if we even attempt to get anyone. FIRST priotrity, Bentley. J Peterson fits in our scheme real well, great coverage guy who comes up with INT's, probably will be available.

i_bleed_purple
02-13-2006, 03:04 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

linebacker, offensive line, and im gonna go out on a limb here and say WR..no big name playmaker at WR hurts no matter how any of you look at it..and koren robinson isnt the answer to that either, tho we should obviously resign him for his kick returning ability, and the fact that hes better than taylor, which really doesnt say that much...RB i would say is an issue as well considering how the committee thing really hasnt worked for us against any team that is half decent on defense
wide reciever is one of the most overrated positions in all of the game. if you some of the past superbowl teams, they didn't have a big name reciever. Pittsburgh has HInes ward, but he's not a top 5 reciever. NE didn't have anyone who stood out, baltimore had noone, Tampa didn't have a superstar at WR. as long as you have decent players and decent depth, you will be ok.

I would almost rather have the best punter and kicker in the league then a top 5 reciever

ultravikingfan
02-13-2006, 03:22 AM
O-Line, could be a lot better.

LB's, need to step it up.

CB, yup....it says cornerback. Not that we need new ones. We need the ones who are currently here to play like was expected.

fabybaby32
02-13-2006, 03:23 AM
Our O-Line looks to be getting better and with Birk coming back, it will only get better. I think we need a proven #1 at wr and a proven #1 at rb. Im not a big fan of the rb by committee.

DarrinNelsonguy
02-13-2006, 03:24 AM
We need OL most notably we need a new RT and some guards that can play consistantly. After that our LB need the most attention.

i_bleed_purple
02-13-2006, 03:26 AM
#1 RB over #1 reciever. if krob stays and he goes to training camp and preseason, he should be good to be #1 next year. he did very well considering he spent 6 weeks in a rehab clinic and completely missed training camp and preseason

WaywardHoosier
02-13-2006, 09:23 PM
The Vikings need a great linebacker.

I would also like to see a solid RB that will averaged 1,200+ yards a season. The Vikings need a balanced attack on offense.

Del Rio
02-13-2006, 09:27 PM
RB, LB, K

NordicNed
02-13-2006, 09:28 PM
I won't even stop at telling you all the overall weakest position we have on the Vikings Team, but I'll tell you the exact position and player..

RIGHT TACKLE, ROSENTHAL........PERIOD

Most of the times weve been sacked is because of his inability to pass protect....My wife moves her feet better than he does...

I'de rather see Urkel play RT for us than Roseinmyass.........

He just plain sucks...

Fix this, and better days are coming already!

Ltrey33
02-13-2006, 09:38 PM
1) Right Tackle
2) Linebacker
3) Runningback/Wide Reciever (we have a bunch of average guys, but no really good ones)

Prophet
02-13-2006, 09:38 PM
I have to go with the fetal position.

VikesfaninWis
02-13-2006, 09:52 PM
LB position because we have some key FA's. The LB's that we had last season under Cottrell's system may not work for Tomlin's cover 2 system.

RB position because we haven't had anyone prove that they are an every down back without getting injured.

SS because Chavous most certainly will walk. It would be nice to sign a key FA for this position or maybe draft Mike Huff from Texas if he falls to us at #17.

OL because it down right sucked last season. Picking up a couple key FA's will help tremendously. Runyan and/or Hutchinson would be huge. There are also other good FA's available such as Kenyatta Walker from TB, and L.J. Shelton from Cle.

BIGDADDYG
02-13-2006, 09:53 PM
O-line for sure then a quality RB.

GreenBaySlackers
02-13-2006, 10:18 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

linebacker, offensive line, and im gonna go out on a limb here and say WR..no big name playmaker at WR hurts no matter how any of you look at it..and koren robinson isnt the answer to that either, tho we should obviously resign him for his kick returning ability, and the fact that hes better than taylor, which really doesnt say that much...RB i would say is an issue as well considering how the committee thing really hasnt worked for us against any team that is half decent on defense
wide reciever is one of the most overrated positions in all of the game. if you some of the past superbowl teams, they didn't have a big name reciever. Pittsburgh has HInes ward, but he's not a top 5 reciever. NE didn't have anyone who stood out, baltimore had noone, Tampa didn't have a superstar at WR. as long as you have decent players and decent depth, you will be ok.

I would almost rather have the best punter and kicker in the league then a top 5 reciever


keshawn johnson was definantly a stand out for TB, and McCardell wasn't half bad either.

6-KINGS
02-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Man I thought this was about something else.......

Anyway I would say with Cover 2 we need better LB'rs

countrygirl
02-13-2006, 10:31 PM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

Man I thought this was about something else.......

Anyway I would say with Cover 2 we need better LB'rs

:shock: :lol:

aceclown
02-13-2006, 10:40 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

I won't even stop at telling you all the overall weakest position we have on the Vikings Team, but I'll tell you the exact position and player..

RIGHT TACKLE, ROSENTHAL........PERIOD

Most of the times weve been sacked is because of his inability to pass protect....My wife moves her feet better than he does...

I'de rather see Urkel play RT for us than Roseinmyass.........

He just plain sucks...

Fix this, and better days are coming already!

I totally agree with you. I remember the first time Rosenthal's pass protecting was exposed- Leonard Little absolutely dominated him and piled up about 4-5 sacks in one game.

After seeing how weak his pass protection is I couldnt believe it when they gave him the big contract extension. Dump Rosenthal and Bring in someone else, preferably not Urkel, but that would be pretty damn funny.

COJOMAY
02-13-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm gonna be the "different" one here and say QB. Here's why:
BJ will no doubt start the season...another year older but adequate. He will start because C-Pep will still be doing some rehab. So what happens if BJ gets injured? This is a REAL possibility considering his past history. So they have to press CPep into the lineup sooner than we wanted or go with our 3rd string QB who is terrible and we all know that. And besides he's a free agent and he'll be gone. So now what?
I don't like the idea of "buying" a free agent QB. I'd much rather draft someone good and bring him along a bit slower.
Everything hinges on BJ being healthy and with a new offense that will take awhile to "jell" an injury here is a distinct possibilty. That's why I think that QB position is the weakest.
I know most of you will disagree with me but that's the way I see it.
After that I would say LB.

aceclown
02-13-2006, 11:12 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I'm gonna be the "different" one here and say QB. Here's why:
BJ will no doubt start the season...another year older but adequate. He will start because C-Pep will still be doing some rehab. So what happens if BJ gets injured? This is a REAL possibility considering his past history. So they have to press CPep into the lineup sooner than we wanted or go with our 3rd string QB who is terrible and we all know that. And besides he's a free agent and he'll be gone. So now what?
I don't like the idea of "buying" a free agent QB. I'd much rather draft someone good and bring him along a bit slower.
Everything hinges on BJ being healthy and with a new offense that will take awhile to "jell" an injury here is a distinct possibilty. That's why I think that QB position is the weakest.
I know most of you will disagree with me but that's the way I see it.
After that I would say LB.

Heres hoping Jay Cutler drops to 17.... wishful thinking.

briboy75
02-14-2006, 12:53 AM
"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:


A good team does not need to have one superstar WR to win. We had Moss before, and where did he take us???


The NFC Championship twice - without spectacular defenses. Not bad.


"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:


rather have a stud QB or RB or LB that will affect almost all the plays.

WRs do effect every play - even if they don't catch the ball. The can draw a defender (or two, if you are really good) away from the action, or they can block. Every player on the field is important.

DaunteHOF
02-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Linebackers, RB, and O line. We should get some safety depth also.

canadian_vikes_fan
02-14-2006, 01:14 AM
"briboy75" wrote:

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:


A good team does not need to have one superstar WR to win. We had Moss before, and where did he take us???


The NFC Championship twice - without spectacular defenses. Not bad.


"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:


rather have a stud QB or RB or LB that will affect almost all the plays.

WRs do effect every play - even if they don't catch the ball. The can draw a defender (or two, if you are really good) away from the action, or they can block. Every player on the field is important.

I wasn't trying to say that a receiver isn't important. As you said, every player is important. However, some players are more important than others. For example, the quarterback is directly involved in every play. Running backs are involved in most plays, whether they're running, catching, or blocking for the QB. Most receivers will only touch the ball 8 times a game. So it's not so important to have great receivers are it is to have great o-linemen and quarterbacks.