PDA

View Full Version : Who will be our Kicker?



hungryboy
02-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Who will kick for us next year?

hungryboy
02-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Vanderjat is a choker, but a dam good kicker, and will likley not be back. Edginer was clutch at the end of games, but he choked early on easier kicks, and he is rat like witch scares me.

hungryboy
02-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Lets go for Vanderchoker. Get him closer to his home. Canada

ultravikingfan
02-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Stop talking to yourself; people are looking at you funny.

Edinger will be our kicker.

hungryboy
02-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Sorry too much coffee.

NodakPaul
02-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Yeah, Edinger does kinda look like a rat. But he will be our kicker last year. I think he proved himself last year with his game winning kicks.

Mr-holland
02-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Like against the Packers :D

ultravikingfan
02-07-2006, 08:15 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Yeah, Edinger does kinda look like a rat. But he will be our kicker last year. I think he proved himself last year with his game winning kicks.

Hell, even if he looked like Rosie O'Donnell, as long as he can hit the uprights! :wink:

BIGDADDYG
02-07-2006, 08:18 PM
I didn't think we had a huge problem with the kicking.

mfenlon
02-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Edinger for sure. We sure as hell
don't need to be wasting a draft
spot on a kicker!!

mfenlon
02-07-2006, 08:30 PM
WHat abut that guy who kicked a 50 yarder
in a Canadian football contest to win
a new or something like that??
Eh!

mfenlon
02-07-2006, 08:40 PM
I meant to say that I think he won
a new CAR or money or something.
Shit! WHo cares, he kicked a 50 yarder.
Sign him up!

Gift
02-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Ed is a winner!

Clutch > %

cajunvike
02-07-2006, 09:10 PM
NED!!! :grin:

kramer9guy
02-07-2006, 09:21 PM
The Vikes allocated Jonathon Nichols to NFLE a couple weeks ago so it looks like he's gonna be in the hunt to be our kicker come training camp.


The Vikings allocated several players to NFL Europe recently: offensive tackle Sean Bubin, who spent 2005 on the practice squad; WR Aaron Hosack, who spent the season on the team’s reserve list; K Jonathan Nichols, who spent summer and training camp with the Vikings (Paul Edinger is a free agent and Aaron Elling with the Ravens); and defensive back Marvin Ward, who was signed recently.

VikesfaninWis
02-07-2006, 09:30 PM
I like Edinger, but he was backwards. He hit the long FG's but missed the ones he should of had no problems making. Vanderjagt is hardly a choke artist. He missed a fg in a playoff game that had alot of emotions. I would take Vanderjagt over Edinger anyday of the week. What about Adam Vinateri? I believe he is FA, and would be a great fit in a Vikings uni..

collegeguyjeff
02-07-2006, 11:21 PM
if edinger could hit the shorter kicks he would be one of the top 3 kickers in the nfl.

Ltrey33
02-07-2006, 11:27 PM
"mfenlon" wrote:

Edinger for sure. We sure as hell
don't need to be wasting a draft
spot on a kicker!!

STOP

"mfenlon" wrote:

WHat abut that guy who kicked a 50 yarder
in a Canadian football contest to win
a new or something like that??
Eh!

MAKING

"mfenlon" wrote:

I meant to say that I think he won
a new CAR or money or something.
pooh! WHo cares, he kicked a 50 yarder.
Sign him up!

THREE POSTS

"hungryboy" wrote:

Who will kick for us next year?

IN

"hungryboy" wrote:

Vanderjat is a choker, but a dam good kicker, and will likley not be back. Edginer was clutch at the end of games, but he choked early on easier kicks, and he is rat like witch scares me.

A ROW!!!!

"hungryboy" wrote:

Lets go for Vanderchoker. Get him closer to his home. Canada

BOTH OF YOU!!! There is a return button on your keyboard and an edit button on your post for just that reason!

VikesfaninWis
02-07-2006, 11:30 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

"mfenlon" wrote:

Edinger for sure. We sure as hell
don't need to be wasting a draft
spot on a kicker!!

STOP

"mfenlon" wrote:

WHat abut that guy who kicked a 50 yarder
in a Canadian football contest to win
a new or something like that??
Eh!

MAKING

"mfenlon" wrote:

I meant to say that I think he won
a new CAR or money or something.
pooh! WHo cares, he kicked a 50 yarder.
Sign him up!

THREE POSTS

"hungryboy" wrote:

Who will kick for us next year?

IN

"hungryboy" wrote:

Vanderjat is a choker, but a dam good kicker, and will likley not be back. Edginer was clutch at the end of games, but he choked early on easier kicks, and he is rat like witch scares me.

A ROW!!!!

"hungryboy" wrote:

Lets go for Vanderchoker. Get him closer to his home. Canada

BOTH OF YOU!!! There is a return button on your keyboard and an edit button on your post for just that reason!



No kidding. By tomorrow they will have more posts than Ultra...

ejmat
02-07-2006, 11:39 PM
I would take Vandy over Edinger. One choked kick does not make you a choker for your career. Edinger has choked on a lot more occasion than Vandy. For those of you that consider Vandy a choker, you must consider Anderson to be one too. By the way, he wasn't and his kick wasn't what lost the game against Atlanta. Our defense letting up a long TD in under a minute had something to do with that too. Then our coaching staff all of the sudden becoming conservative did as well.

vikesoto
02-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Rich Karlis???

ultravikingfan
02-08-2006, 12:00 AM
"vikesoto" wrote:

Rich Karlis???

Fred Cox!

vikesoto
02-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Chuck Nelson? Jose Cortez? Scott Sisson?

cajunvike
02-08-2006, 12:26 AM
NED!!!

scarface
02-08-2006, 12:34 AM
igreywegray oh however the heck you spell is name

NordicNed
02-08-2006, 12:35 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

NED!!! :roll: I only wish Cajun...

But I won't mind if we stick with Edinger, I think he will get over the short kick hump....He's already proven to me, he can and is a clutch kicker. And to me, thats worth a million......

ThaSuperFreak33
02-08-2006, 01:06 AM
The Kicker for Memphis looked pretty good in the college all star skill contest. He had a strong leg and was pretty accurate. I think his name is Stephen Gostkowski. he is 6-2 210 LBS.

WBLVikeBabe
02-08-2006, 01:14 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Yeah, Edinger does kinda look like a rat. But he will be our kicker last year. I think he proved himself last year with his game winning kicks.

Why should the way he looks have anything to do with it??

smootbythefoot
02-08-2006, 01:18 AM
I say joe nedney from 49ers
i think hes better than edinger

cc21
02-08-2006, 01:43 AM
Hopefully Edinger will be with us next year. I don't care about the short misses because he can make them under pressure, something a lot of other kickers cannot do. Who cares if he misses them when they mean nothing? He makes them when it matters and thats all that matters.

FuadFan
02-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Edinger should be back with us next year he is clutch and can do kickoffs if we were to get Vanderjoke we would have to sign another kicker or keep Nichols on the roster and that is not worth doing no matter how much more accurate you think he may be.

cajunvike
02-08-2006, 05:39 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

NED!!! :roll: I only wish Cajun...

But I won't mind if we stick with Edinger, I think he will get over the short kick hump....He's already proven to me, he can and is a clutch kicker. And to me, thats worth a million......

OK...we stick with Edinger...but if he starts choking...we bring in...

NED!!!

To put a foot up his silliness and set him straight!!! :lol:

WBLVikeBabe
02-08-2006, 05:56 AM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

Hopefully Edinger will be with us next year. I don't care about the short misses because he can make them under pressure, something a lot of other kickers cannot do. Who cares if he misses them when they mean nothing? He makes them when it matters and thats all that matters.

Well technically, any field goal attempt does matter, but I do see your point CC. To be able to make a long field goal like he did in the Green Bay game in the last seconds to help your team win definitley matters more.

canadian_vikes_fan
02-08-2006, 06:04 AM
I wouldn't mind getting an upgrade at kicker, cuz I consider Edinger to be average to slightly below average for kicking standards. If Vanderjagt becomes available, I think we have to take him. He's the most accurate kicker in NFL history, and all this about him being a choker is garbage. He missed one kick - that does not make him a choker. Peyton Manning is a choker because he consistently plays terribly when the going gets tough.

The kicker is one of the hardest positions to play. Even the best kicker in history (Vanderjagt) misses 1 out of 10. If that happens to be a potential game-winner, it doesn't mean he's a choker. If you remember, two years ago, Vinateiri missed 2 field goals before he hit the game winner. That's 1/3. Is he a choker?

I just did some quick research on Vanderjagt, and he has 11 game-winning field goals in his career. In a game I watched in 2002 (?) he hit two 50+ yd field goals, one to send it into OT and another to win it in a blizzard. He also kicked another field goal to send the Colts into the playoffs last year. Another time, he kicked the 3rd longest game winning field goal in NFL history (53 yards). To label him as a choker simply based on one kick out of the hundreds in his career is simply unfair.

Plus he's Canadian!!!!

ejmat
02-08-2006, 06:21 AM
How can kicks not matter? He missed kicks that were supposed to be easy and it ruins morale. There is never a kick that mean nothing.

MensaTice
02-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Vanderjacht is clearly an upgrade. But like Fuad brought up, is it worth bringing him in and keeping someone elese on the roster for kickoffs. I'm leaning toward yes but I'm not so sure.

ChiTownVike
02-08-2006, 07:16 AM
I am conpletley fine with Edinger staying on the team

If we sign Vanderchoke and we got into the situation that he was in in the playoffs

Edigner would hit it

Vanderchoke same result

ultravikingfan
02-08-2006, 07:44 AM
"vikesoto" wrote:

Chuck Nelson? Jose Cortez? Scott Sisson?

Oh man! Sisson! What memories!

Thanks!

BBQ Platypus
02-08-2006, 03:38 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

"mfenlon" wrote:

Edinger for sure. We sure as hell
don't need to be wasting a draft
spot on a kicker!!

STOP

"mfenlon" wrote:

WHat abut that guy who kicked a 50 yarder
in a Canadian football contest to win
a new or something like that??
Eh!

MAKING

"mfenlon" wrote:

I meant to say that I think he won
a new CAR or money or something.
pooh! WHo cares, he kicked a 50 yarder.
Sign him up!

THREE POSTS

"hungryboy" wrote:

Who will kick for us next year?

IN

"hungryboy" wrote:

Vanderjat is a choker, but a dam good kicker, and will likley not be back. Edginer was clutch at the end of games, but he choked early on easier kicks, and he is rat like witch scares me.

A ROW!!!!

"hungryboy" wrote:

Lets go for Vanderchoker. Get him closer to his home. Canada

BOTH OF YOU!!! There is a return button on your keyboard and an edit button on your post for just that reason!

I...

BBQ Platypus
02-08-2006, 03:39 PM
AGREE WITH...

BBQ Platypus
02-08-2006, 03:39 PM
...YOU. Stop triple-posting, you guys. :lol:

Wiggles67
02-08-2006, 04:33 PM
The only reason everyone is so high on Edinger is he made a few clutch kicks this year. But lets remember there was a reason he was cut from the Bears last year, and it didnt have much to do with cap. He is not a consistant kicker.

Vanderjagt is an absolute stud (when it comes to the kicker position) and if anything we should be happy that he missed that FG....maybe his stock will drop a bit and we can pick him up for less then if he would have made it. The guy makes 87.5% [92.0% (23-25) this year] as opposed to 75.0% [73% (25-34)this year] that Edinger has averaged over his career.

So with Vanderjagt FG % he would have hit another 7 FG's that Edinger didnt. In an average year where the Vikings arent getting blown out in just about all their loses I would take this any day over 1 or 2 clutch FG's over a year.

Vanderjagt would put us in more games and give us that lead where we wouldnt need those dramatic last second FG's to win the game.

Vanderjagt all the way in my book

whackthepack
02-08-2006, 06:18 PM
"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:

I wouldn't mind getting an upgrade at kicker, cuz I consider Edinger to be average to slightly below average for kicking standards. If Vanderjagt becomes available, I think we have to take him. He's the most accurate kicker in NFL history, and all this about him being a choker is garbage. He missed one kick - that does not make him a choker. Peyton Manning is a choker because he consistently plays terribly when the going gets tough.

The kicker is one of the hardest positions to play. Even the best kicker in history (Vanderjagt) misses 1 out of 10. If that happens to be a potential game-winner, it doesn't mean he's a choker. If you remember, two years ago, Vinateiri missed 2 field goals before he hit the game winner. That's 1/3. Is he a choker?

I just did some quick research on Vanderjagt, and he has 11 game-winning field goals in his career. In a game I watched in 2002 (?) he hit two 50+ yd field goals, one to send it into OT and another to win it in a blizzard. He also kicked another field goal to send the Colts into the playoffs last year. Another time, he kicked the 3rd longest game winning field goal in NFL history (53 yards). To label him as a choker simply based on one kick out of the hundreds in his career is simply unfair.

Plus he's Canadian!!!!


Edinger kicked a 56 yard game winning field goal this season against Green Bay, and I believe he also had a 52 yard game winner. Vanderjagt has had some misses at very important time in the playoffs including this year that have cost the Colts the chance to advance farther. I would like to give Edinger another season, but I would like to bring in another kicker for kickoffs.

mr.woo
02-08-2006, 06:31 PM
id rather have a kicker like edinger who misses the short ones but hit the second longest field goal in history as tie expires to win the game than vanderchoke whos good in conditioned stadiums but not in crunch time

Displaced_Viking
02-08-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't think it would hurt us to bring in a new kicker. I think that pretty much every field goal matters, especially early in the game as well as for game-winners.

On a side note, does the way he kicks ever scare the bejesus out of anyone else? Doesn't he turn his back completely around so that he's facing the opposite field goal? I'm not saying that it affects his game, but I still am unnerved everytime he kicks.

V-Unit
02-08-2006, 06:46 PM
I think if Edinger was better at kickoffs this wouldn't even be a debate. Vanderjagt had a better % last year, but Edinger had to kick in a lot more high pressure situations. Vanderjagt long was 48, EDinger's was 56, and it was a game winner. So I think when it comes to field goals they are pretty much even. It is weird how EDinger was so bad from 30-39 yards out (3/8) but I see room for him to improve and no real need to get a new kicker like last year.

I really don't take kickoff power into consideration. If the kicker can't do them well, just let the punter do them.

Gift
02-08-2006, 06:55 PM
I honestly don't see why this is even an issue, Ed made the kicks when we needed them & won games. I dont gice a shit if he missed a few when they didnt matter. Dont fix whats not broken!

MrGopher16
02-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Edinger won me over this year with his game winners and the way he kept his composure so well. Heck he even punted for us when we really needed him to! Welcome back Paul!

scarface
02-08-2006, 07:05 PM
aaa but if he made the ones he missed perhaps he didt need to kick for a game winning one.

VikesfaninWis
02-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Lets just be happy that he made the ones he did. He mad a couple that were game winners. It shouldn't be overlooked that he missed so many from 30-40 yards, but we should give him his props for hitting the big ones. It wouldn't hurt to look at some K's that may have a better leg than Edinger, and hit what they are supposed to.

bleedpurple27
02-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Though I like Edinger..I don't feel warm & fuzzy when he lines up to attempt a FG.....yes he made some game winners, but he seems to strugle with the kicks he should make...I'd be ok either way the team goes with this one.

Wiggles67
02-08-2006, 07:57 PM
A whole year of kicking being overlooked by one kick made by Edinger and one kick missed by Vanderjagt. :roll:

Please look at the bigger picture people

V-Unit
02-08-2006, 07:59 PM
"Wiggles67" wrote:

A whole year of kicking being overlooked by one kick made by Edinger and one kick missed by Vanderjagt. roll

Please look at the bigger picture peopleWhat's the bigger picture wiggles?

I think we all understand Vanderjagt is more consistent than Edinger, but some fans prefer a clutch kicker to a consistent one. It's that simple. Vanderjagt has cracked under pressure before and his mouth is way too big. If he shut his mouth and made big kicks, I would want him all the way. But the "cocky" should never be used to describe an NFL kicker.

Wiggles67
02-08-2006, 08:08 PM
please name another big kick that Vanderjagt has missed?

Why would you not take a consistant kicker over one that misses almost 20% more kicks than another guy.

I take the Giants game where he had a "game winning" FG in OT. Had he not missed, I believe a 39 yarder and had another kicked blocker earlier in that game I dont even see that game going into OT.

I dont know I guess it is a difference of opinion...I just have a hard time seeing the other side on this one

Gift
02-08-2006, 08:52 PM
"Wiggles67" wrote:

A whole year of kicking being overlooked by one kick made by Edinger and one kick missed by Vanderjagt. :roll:

Please look at the bigger picture people1 kick can make or break a season.

canadian_vikes_fan
02-08-2006, 09:26 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:

I wouldn't mind getting an upgrade at kicker, cuz I consider Edinger to be average to slightly below average for kicking standards. If Vanderjagt becomes available, I think we have to take him. He's the most accurate kicker in NFL history, and all this about him being a choker is garbage. He missed one kick - that does not make him a choker. Peyton Manning is a choker because he consistently plays terribly when the going gets tough.

The kicker is one of the hardest positions to play. Even the best kicker in history (Vanderjagt) misses 1 out of 10. If that happens to be a potential game-winner, it doesn't mean he's a choker. If you remember, two years ago, Vinateiri missed 2 field goals before he hit the game winner. That's 1/3. Is he a choker?

I just did some quick research on Vanderjagt, and he has 11 game-winning field goals in his career. In a game I watched in 2002 (?) he hit two 50+ yd field goals, one to send it into OT and another to win it in a blizzard. He also kicked another field goal to send the Colts into the playoffs last year. Another time, he kicked the 3rd longest game winning field goal in NFL history (53 yards). To label him as a choker simply based on one kick out of the hundreds in his career is simply unfair.

Plus he's Canadian!!!!


Edinger kicked a 56 yard game winning field goal this season against Green Bay, and I believe he also had a 52 yard game winner. Vanderjagt has had some misses at very important time in the playoffs including this year that have cost the Colts the chance to advance farther. I would like to give Edinger another season, but I would like to bring in another kicker for kickoffs.

You are trying to sum up his career with one kick. Over his career, he has been very clutch. He has the second-most game-winning field goals among active kickers (behind Vinateiri). Edinger had a couple game-winners this year, but given one or two more chances, he would miss the same field goal. That's because NO kickers are perfect, they all miss 1/10 of their chances. (Edinger misses 2.5/10). So by upgrading to Vanderjagt, we'd gain 1.5 field goals out of 10.

canadian_vikes_fan
02-08-2006, 09:44 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

"Wiggles67" wrote:

A whole year of kicking being overlooked by one kick made by Edinger and one kick missed by Vanderjagt. roll

Please look at the bigger picture peopleWhat's the bigger picture wiggles?

I think we all understand Vanderjagt is more consistent than Edinger, but some fans prefer a clutch kicker to a consistent one. It's that simple. Vanderjagt has cracked under pressure before and his mouth is way too big. If he shut his mouth and made big kicks, I would want him all the way. But the "cocky" should never be used to describe an NFL kicker.

He doesn't "crack" under pressure - he simply missed one field goal. You simply cannot expect a kicker to make every "clutch" field goal they attempt. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that kickers don't try harder on bigger kicks, so that means that their average should be the same when they are kicking for the game and when they are kicking normally.

To me, this whole "clutch kicker" is garbage. Let's assume (for easy numbers) that every kicker in the league hits exactly 90% of their field goals. So out of every 10 field goals, they'll miss one. Which one, nobody knows.

So Vanderjagt happened to miss his field goal right at the end of the season, big whup. He's hit many important field goals in his career (8 game-winners, including several 50+ yarders). Anybody remember last year when he kicked the game-winner against us? And his average is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Edinger.

ejmat
02-08-2006, 11:33 PM
I don't get why people call Vandy a choker. Give me a break. One FG he missed and he's a choker. Ok well let's see Edinger missed how many FGs? A kick is a kick no matter when they are kicked. Believe me Vandy has made more GW kicks than Edinger has.

One of the games that Edinger hit a GW against the Giants he missed 2 previous to that. If he makes them it doesn't come down to a GW.

Let me inform everyone, Vandy is not a choker. Making 87.5% of FGs does not constitute a choker. However, making only 75% can. Get a clue of the bigger picture. Vandy is an upgrade at the kicking position. Edinger did fill in when he needed to at punting and kickoffs. However let's face it, he wasn't great at either. I'm sure if we asked Vandy to punt or kickoff he would do it too. As good or even better than Edinger.

VikesfaninWis
02-08-2006, 11:39 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

I don't get why people call Vandy a choker. Give me a break. One FG he missed and he's a choker. Ok well let's see Edinger missed how many FGs? A kick is a kick no matter when they are kicked. Believe me Vandy has made more GW kicks than Edinger has.

One of the games that Edinger hit a GW against the Giants he missed 2 previous to that. If he makes them it doesn't come down to a GW.

Let me inform everyone, Vandy is not a choker. Making 87.5% of FGs does not constitute a choker. However, making only 75% can. Get a clue of the bigger picture. Vandy is an upgrade at the kicking position. Edinger did fill in when he needed to at punting and kickoffs. However let's face it, he wasn't great at either. I'm sure if we asked Vandy to punt or kickoff he would do it too. As good or even better than Edinger.


Well said. I have stated before that we would be better suited with Vandejagt as our kicker. He missed that FG in the playoffs against the Steelers and everyone calls him a choker. He has made many big FG's in his career, including game winners. I would take Vanderjagt over Edinger any day of the week.

Gift
02-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Im sorry, people who end the teams season by choking, dont rank high on my list. You can say "get a clue" all you like but the fact remains Ed came through when needed, Vanderwhatshisname did not. I dont care about stats I care about W's.

MaddenVodkaAddict
02-09-2006, 12:24 AM
What about Kluwe doing kick-offs? I remember good ol Mitch Berger kickin many touchbacks (given the balls were different, but still).

ejmat
02-09-2006, 02:54 AM
Gift, I'll say it again GET A CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!

Vandy kicks more GWers than Edinger. Edinger has choked a few times himself on GWers. Look at his stats with the Bears. You cry about one kick he missed. What about the other kicks he made like last year that tied a playoff game then he won in OT. GET A CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Edinger is NOT better than Vanderjadt. Not even close to being his equal. If Vandy was bad do you think they would have kept him after he had that problem with Manning. There is a reason they kept him. By the way, he and Manning have made up. If that's all people want to say about Vandy to criticize him so be it. Let's look at Edinger. He has one of the stupidest stances in the NFL. One of the reason why he CHOKES on 30 yarders. Stats do mean a lot for place kickers. Missing just over 1 of 10 is hell of a lot better than missing 1 of 4. If you think because the guy hit 3 GWers this year (2 of which only because he missed earlier FGs) than yes I will say it again...>GET A CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aceclown
02-09-2006, 05:20 AM
Vanderjerk is the most accurate kicker in NFL history, so I think we can all agree he would be an upgrade over Edinger. Nuff said.

i_bleed_purple
02-09-2006, 05:54 AM
if were gonna trade cpep trade him to arizona for a 1st rounder and...

Neil Rackers he put two through the uprights off of a kickoff in Mexico, so he would be an upgrade in leg strenght, plus he broke the record for field goals, which means he is a reliable kicker.

but realisticiallly i like Edinger. vanderjagt can't hit those 56 yard field goals

MrGopher16
02-09-2006, 05:56 AM
Kicker isn't the problem, why fix an issue that doesn't need fixing?

canadian_vikes_fan
02-09-2006, 06:07 AM
"MrGopher16" wrote:

Kicker isn't the problem, why fix an issue that doesn't need fixing?Because it would be an upgrade. I'm not really unhappy with Edinger, I think he's adequate, but if you have the chance to upgrade to the best kicker in NFL history, you do it.

This past year, Edinger was 25 for 34 on field goals, good for an average of 73.5%. This year, Vanderjagt hit 92% of his field goals (23 for 25), so he would've hit 31 for us. That's 18 more points, and that can make a big difference in some close games.

Gift
02-09-2006, 06:11 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

Gift, I'll say it again GET A CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!

Vandy kicks more GWers than Edinger. Edinger has choked a few times himself on GWers. Look at his stats with the Bears. You cry about one kick he missed. What about the other kicks he made like last year that tied a playoff game then he won in OT. GET A CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Edinger is NOT better than Vanderjadt. Not even close to being his equal. If Vandy was bad do you think they would have kept him after he had that problem with Manning. There is a reason they kept him. By the way, he and Manning have made up. If that's all people want to say about Vandy to criticize him so be it. Let's look at Edinger. He has one of the stupidest stances in the NFL. One of the reason why he CHOKES on 30 yarders. Stats do mean a lot for place kickers. Missing just over 1 of 10 is hell of a lot better than missing 1 of 4. If you think because the guy hit 3 GWers this year (2 of which only because he missed earlier FGs) than yes I will say it again...>GET A CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wow, You really drove home your points with the "!!!!!!" and of course your excessive use of caps truely broke my spirit. And yet, I still prefer ed. I don't think we need to replace players that did their job, especially with guy that didn't. I really doubt this is an issue anyway.

MrGopher16
02-09-2006, 06:14 AM
It's not an issue, that's what i've been trying to say too gift. I'm not going to cut a guy who did more than his job. Average kicking percentage is okay, but kicking well under pressure? That's something special, and i'd like to hold on to that.

GreenBaySlackers
02-09-2006, 06:16 AM
unless edinger wants to leave, there is no way we make a kicking change, for the first time in a long time we have to more than solid players at kicker and punter.



I guess we're just so used to worrying about it in the offseason thats it's spilling over into this year too... i dunno, doesn't make much sense to me.

canadian_vikes_fan
02-09-2006, 06:17 AM
"Gift" wrote:

Im sorry, people who end the teams season by choking, dont rank high on my list. You can say "get a clue" all you like but the fact remains Ed came through when needed, Vanderwhatshisname did not. I dont care about stats I care about W's.

So you are actually suggesting that we should throw out all stats for during the year and just compare the last field goal attempts of everybody. In other words, Gary Anderson is a choker and tied for the worst kicker of all-time with Vanderjagt. Josh Brown is equally as bad.

This idea is ridiculous. Over his career, Vanderjagt has proven to be not only consistent, but the most consistent in NFL history. We would be lucky to get him.

canadian_vikes_fan
02-09-2006, 06:26 AM
"MrGopher16" wrote:

It's not an issue, that's what i've been trying to say too gift. I'm not going to cut a guy who did more than his job. Average kicking percentage is okay, but kicking well under pressure? That's something special, and i'd like to hold on to that.

I disagree that he did "more than his job." He only kicked 73% of his field goals, which is well below average. To give you some idea what that number means, three years ago, Aaron Elling hit 72% of his field goals as a rookie, and everybody was all over him.

The fact that he kicked two of them at the end of the game doesn't really make a difference. He doesn't kick any differently, and I'm hoping that he's always trying to hit them, so then that means that if he kicked enough last second field goals, he'd hit 73% of them too. He just happened to get the last two to squeeze through.

On the other hand, you have Vanderjagt, the most accurate kicker in history, who also has a history of hitting clutch field goals. Nobody will hit all of the last second field goals, and since he's hit 11 game winners in his career, he's bound to miss one sometime.

Gift
02-09-2006, 07:00 AM
I guess my basic point is that even though we have some cash to spend, we dont need to go out any buy every shiney thing we see.

canadian_vikes_fan
02-09-2006, 07:02 AM
"Gift" wrote:

I guess my basic point is that even though we have some cash to spend, we dont need to go out any buy everything shiney thing we see.Well I can agree with you there. I think Edinger did an adequte job, and we shouldn't be running him outta town or anything. But if we have the chance to get an upgrade like Vanderjagt, I think that'd be a good idea.

Mr. Purple
02-09-2006, 07:18 AM
exactly gift...just becuz we got the money to bring in upgrades for more then OL, LB, and RB dosnt mean we should spend it.

FuadFan
02-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Aside from Vanderjagt inability to kickoff in a little more then a month from now he will turn 36 years old even with kickers he is nearing a bigger decline then just not being able to do kickoffs while on the other hand Edinger turned 28 a month ago he is a much better choice for the long term since he can be good for the next eight years.

gregair13
02-09-2006, 08:44 AM
"aceclown" wrote:

Vanderjerk is the most accurate kicker in NFL history, so I think we can all agree he would be an upgrade over Edinger. Nuff said.
agreed. so he is a bit of a jackass. he kicks field goals with accuracy. that is his job. as long as he is doing his job i dont care. and he is an upgrade.
"MrGopher16" wrote:

Kicker isn't the problem, why fix an issue that doesn't need fixing?
half agree. kicking is a problem, because edinger isnt really good at all. just because he hit a few game winners doesnt make him a good kicker. he still misses kicks.
we have other things that need to be solved before we worry about our freaking kicker.

BigMoInAZ
02-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Either way, Edinger is a UFA and not under contract, correct? So one way or another money has to be spent to resign Ed or bring in someone else!

Right?

Wiggles67
02-09-2006, 05:42 PM
"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

Either way, Edinger is a UFA and not under contract, correct? So one way or another money has to be spent to resign Ed or bring in someone else!

Right?correct sir

coreyd
02-09-2006, 05:50 PM
EDDY...EDDY....EDDY...

DarrinNelsonguy
02-09-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm not against resigning Edinger because he made so clutch kicks this season, but if we could upgrade to more consistent kicker I would be all for it.

Jkurtkrauss
02-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Edinger was an upgrade over Ellinger, who was an upgrade over that clown before him. Can't remember his name, but we've had kickin problems for quite some time now.

If Edinger didn't hit those game winner, we'd be looking to upgrade again because he's inconsistent. Nothing's more frustrating for a team than to drive 80 yds an have the kicker miss a chip shot.

Prophet
02-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Sidetrack to punting....

KFFL
Vikings | Kluwe expected to be ready for training camp
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 05:33:29 -0800

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings P Chris Kluwe (knee) has been assured by doctors that he should be ready to resume kicking by training camp this summer, Kluwe said Wednesday, Feb. 8. Kluwe said he had surgery Jan. 31 to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. "They said I'll definitely be ready by camp, if not sooner," Kluwe said. "It was a pretty clean tear. I've already started the rehabilitation."

aceclown
02-09-2006, 06:58 PM
"Jkurtkrauss" wrote:

Edinger was an upgrade over Ellinger, who was an upgrade over that clown before him. Can't remember his name, but we've had kickin problems for quite some time now.

If Edinger didn't hit those game winner, we'd be looking to upgrade again because he's inconsistent. Nothing's more frustrating for a team than to drive 80 yds an have the kicker miss a chip shot.

Well for one, his name was Aaron Elling, not Ellinger. And before Elling there was Gary and Morton Anderson, Morton also filled in after Elling failed. Elling had more range, but he wasnt really an upgrade over Morton or Gary.

audioghost
02-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Bring in another kicker, Edinger is STILL too shaky....

V4L
02-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Edinger is gonna stay.. We have bigger needs to address..

After those get taken care of then maybe we look at bringing in a new kicker

ejmat
02-09-2006, 07:27 PM
We can debate this all day. I will agree that just because we have cap space we don't need to get every shiny thing. But for those of you that think kicking isn't a priority, how do you think the Colts and the Patriots win a percentage of their games? Getting points consistently when driving down the field. It does matter in every facet of the game. Special Teams are very important.

With that said, I would rather spend a little more to sign someone like Vandy than to sign Edinger. It won't be a huge difference being it's a place kicker. Vandy was only a jack@$$ once in his career. Once! He choked once! Haven't heard anything else he did since the Manning incident. Look at how many times Edinger choked.

Gift, I wasn't trying to break your spirits. You have your opinions and that's fine. I have mine too and that's fine. But by stating kicking only matters at the end of games is not true. Again if he would have made FGs during the Giant game and the Packer game it wouldn't have came down to a GW to begin with. Enough said there.

Gift
02-09-2006, 08:31 PM
"ejmat" wrote:


Gift, I wasn't trying to break your spirits. You have your opinions and that's fine. I have mine too and that's fine. But by stating kicking only matters at the end of games is not true. Again if he would have made FGs during the Giant game and the Packer game it wouldn't have came down to a GW to begin with. Enough said there.I hear ya, I guess I just fell in love with Ed 1st game vs the packers after C-pep lead the team to a great comeback & Ed kicked the incredible 56 yarder with no time left. After that I was hooked. Another thing I like is that when he played for the bears he would come out with that silly stance and I always new that if the game was on the line he would nail it. I always hated him for that, but now I know that exactly the same thing is going on in the heads of our rival fans. I know I'm bias, but I just like having the guy.

canadian_vikes_fan
02-09-2006, 09:11 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Edinger is gonna stay.. We have bigger needs to address..

After those get taken care of then maybe we look at bringing in a new kicker

Vanderjagt won't cost us much more than Edinger is earning, so we wouldn't really be wasting cap space. And free agency lasts for weeks, so we'll have time to address all of the needs that we can. Just because there's bigger needs isn't a reason not to do something, if you're able to do both. If it was a choice between upgrading kicker or linbacker, obviously kicking takes a back seat. But I remember last year, everyone was calling for a new kicker, and really Edinger hasn't done all that much better than Elling or Andersen. Elling kicked 72% three years ago, and Andersen kicked 82% the year after. This year Edinger has kicked 73%, which is pretty close to his career average, so that is pretty much all we can expect from him. Just because two of his successes happened to be at the end of the game, and everyone thinks he's a Pro-Bowler.

On the other hand, we have another option in Vanderjagt who kicks way better and could potentially be the difference in a game or two. I really can't understand why we wouldn't at least try to get him to come here.

scarface
02-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Vanderjagt is one of the most accrute kickers of all time. Nuff said

aceclown
02-09-2006, 10:14 PM
"scarface" wrote:

Vanderjagt is one of the most accrute kickers of all time. Nuff said

correction, Vanderjagt is The most accurate kicker all time.

Del Rio
02-09-2006, 10:18 PM
It's a statistical fact that teams that spend more money on the kicking game win more games then anyone else.

In fact the kicker salary/win ratio is higher then anyother position in the game of football.

If you can improve in this area it is worth the cash.

smootbythefoot
02-10-2006, 04:35 AM
Am i the only one that like Joe nedney?
He was 26-28 in field goals
10-10 in 40-49 yards with a 92.9 %
his long is 56 same as edinger so he can kick the big one

FuadFan
02-10-2006, 05:59 AM
"smootbythefoot" wrote:

Am i the only one that like Joe nedney?
He was 26-28 in field goals
10-10 in 40-49 yards with a 92.9 %
his long is 56 same as edinger so he can kick the big oneYes, because if you were to look over his entire career then just one year you would find that he has only hit 77.3% of his field goals, is a wonderful 51-88 on field goals of 40 yards or more, has missed multiple games over many seasons the course of his career, and is 5 years older then Edinger. He is much better from shorter range compared to Edinger but he is not an improvement by any means.

LuckyVike
02-10-2006, 06:15 AM
"FuadFan" wrote:

"smootbythefoot" wrote:

Am i the only one that like Joe nedney?
He was 26-28 in field goals
10-10 in 40-49 yards with a 92.9 %
his long is 56 same as edinger so he can kick the big oneYes, because if you were to look over his entire career then just one year you would find that he has only hit 77.3% of his field goals, is a wonderful 51-88 on field goals of 40 yards or more, has missed multiple games over many seasons the course of his career, and is 5 years older then Edinger. He is much better from shorter range compared to Edinger but he is not an improvement by any means.

Nice info Fuad...

smootbythefoot
02-10-2006, 07:18 AM
If you compare the two kickers side by side its pretty obvious nedney is way better

magicci
02-10-2006, 07:23 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Yeah, Edinger does kinda look like a rat. But he will be our kicker last year. I think he proved himself last year with his game winning kicks.
what a brain teaser

MrGopher16
02-10-2006, 07:24 AM
"magicci" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Yeah, Edinger does kinda look like a rat. But he will be our kicker last year. I think he proved himself last year with his game winning kicks.
what a brain teaser

lol, does this mean we're going back in time??

ejmat
02-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Well I think we will win the superbowl LAST year. lol

Gift, it's all good. It's not wrong to like someone on the team. I totally appreciate loyalty. It's just my opinion when there's a chance to upgrade at a position that means a lot to a team and it's not going to cost an arm and a leg, you take the opportunity.