PDA

View Full Version : Why the Vikings play indoors

sdvikefan
06-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Few people know the real story behind why the Vikings became an indoor team.

A few years after the Vikings team was formed, Minnesota won 11 of the
division championships from 1968 through 1980...all while playing
outdoors. Chicago and Green Bay could not contend with these upstart
Vikings in the frigid Minnesota weather. Embarassed that these two teams
that had been around so long and had great football traditions kept
getting beaten, the NFL asked the Vikings, for the sake of fairness to
play indoors. Since then the NFC Central/North division titles have
been spread around more evenly.

So remind the Packer and Bears fans the next time they give you any crap about the Vikes playing indoors...they have enough trouble beating us in the House of Horrors...do they really want us to go back outdoors?

VKG4LFE
06-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Awesome point!!

purplepat
06-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Pardon me, but that sounds like the biggest bunch of hooey ever. It is every bit as cold in Green Bay and Chicago come December and January as it is in Minnesota. The Vikings dominated every team in the NFC Central through the late 60s to late 70s because they had a great team, and the other teams (the Packers in particular) just plain sucked. Weather had nothing to do with it.

I'd bet it was done solely for the fans comfort, especially the high dollar corporate type fans who pay for the most expensive season tickets and corporate suites, and was done to accomodate the Twins in April and September as much as it was for Vikings fans in December. Even with their relatively loyal fan base, I'm sure there were quite a few empty seats at the Met when the weather was really bad. Since they were expanding seating by around 17,000 or so by building the dome, they didn't want all the fair weather (literally and figuratively) fans staying away in droves for "ordinary" (i.e. Packers, Lions, Bears) games in bad weather.

About the only team who might have complained about the Minnesota weather may have been the Los Angeles Rams. They made a habit of losing to the Vikings in the frigid cold in January.

purplehorn
06-11-2004, 03:47 PM
It sounds true to me or at least I like to believe
it's true.

LosAngelis
06-11-2004, 04:31 PM
I will agree the Packers sucked through the 70's and 80's. Boy, it was easy to get tickets in those days.

sdvikefan
06-11-2004, 08:15 PM
"purplepat" wrote:

Pardon me, but that sounds like the biggest bunch of hooey ever. It is every bit as cold in Green Bay and Chicago come December and January as it is in Minnesota. The Vikings dominated every team in the NFC Central through the late 60s to late 70s because they had a great team, and the other teams (the Packers in particular) just plain sucked. Weather had nothing to do with it.

I'd bet it was done solely for the fans comfort, especially the high dollar corporate type fans who pay for the most expensive season tickets and corporate suites, and was done to accomodate the Twins in April and September as much as it was for Vikings fans in December. Even with their relatively loyal fan base, I'm sure there were quite a few empty seats at the Met when the weather was really bad. Since they were expanding seating by around 17,000 or so by building the dome, they didn't want all the fair weather (literally and figuratively) fans staying away in droves for "ordinary" (i.e. Packers, Lions, Bears) games in bad weather.

About the only team who might have complained about the Minnesota weather may have been the Los Angeles Rams. They made a habit of losing to the Vikings in the frigid cold in January.

It's just a joke dude. Heard it from another Viking fan....just something funny he tells Packer fans who make fun of the Vikings for playing in doors. Sorry I wasn't more clear about that.

VKG4LFE
06-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Well, I think it's the truth!! And I am going to start using it!

dart18
06-12-2004, 05:10 PM
preach on

dan3ski
06-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Yes the dome was built to make the watching the games a more pleasant experience for the fans. I do however feel the Vikings now need a new stadium and before you start to howl about the cost think about how many millions of dollars would be lost to the local ecomony if the Vikings move!

pepper 0n moss
06-13-2004, 01:39 AM
no offense but residing in anacrime, i would love it if the vikes move to LA!!!

ohioviking
06-13-2004, 10:52 AM
there where no vikings in LA its not logic

ohioviking
06-13-2004, 10:53 AM
min. can work because of its weather and all the lakes

ohioviking
06-13-2004, 10:54 AM
as for L.A. haha to hot

pepper 0n moss
06-13-2004, 12:08 PM
dude ... they can move to LA and become the LA Traffic!!! ... Our defense would be so good that we can use some cheesy-ass line like "you have just hit the LA Traffic!!!" lol ... sorry ... i want a team so bad and i don't want an expanssion so i'd love it if the vikes came to LA

other suggestions include:::

LA Immigrants
LA Pollution
LA Crime-Fighters
LA Farenheit

VKG4LFE
06-13-2004, 12:36 PM
How can you be a Vikings fan and want them to move?? That is terrible! Have you lived in Cali your whole life and have been a vikings fan since you were little? If that's the case I see your point, but if you were born a Minnesotan and then transplanted to Cali, then I can't see why you would want the Vikes to leave Minny!! It would kill me if they left!

ItalianStallion
06-13-2004, 12:37 PM
I don't understand how the NFL could relocate a team with so much fan support, especially with teams like Arizona and the Colts out there.

pepper 0n moss
06-13-2004, 12:41 PM
born in ca in '87, been a vikings fan since '92

=)

the only reason i wouldn't want them to come to LA is because we would have a bunch of bandwaggon viking fans

trust me, there was PLENTY of bandwaggon laker fans after they won the 2000 championship

VKG4LFE
06-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Wow, you're what 18! That's all LA is is a bunch of famous transplants that don't know anything about sports and if "their" team (LA) is winning they are the biggest fans! We'll keep the vikes in Minny!

pepper 0n moss
06-13-2004, 01:04 PM
wow let's not get touchy now :-/ ... i'll love my vikes even if they relocate to alaska and become the anchorage ice-vikings ... i was just joking about them moving to LA ... jeez

sorry if i offended anyone

and what does me being 18 have to do with anything? ... we will all be or have been 18 at one point, right?

amavikesfan
06-13-2004, 01:53 PM
p.o.m. moving the vikings is a touchy subject. kinda like the "culpepper debates".

sdvikefan
06-13-2004, 05:03 PM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

dude ... they can move to LA and become the LA Traffic!!! ... Our defense would be so good that we can use some cheesy-ass line like "you have just hit the LA Traffic!!!" lol ... sorry ... i want a team so bad and i don't want an expanssion so i'd love it if the vikes came to LA

other suggestions include:::

LA Immigrants
LA Pollution
LA Crime-Fighters
LA Farenheit

Or how about the LA Riots, like in Baseketball!

Seriously the Vikings will never move to LA. Even the commish says he doesn't want the Vikes to leave Minnesota. Too much history, tradition, and fan support for that to happen. Besides, I think the state of Minnesota has lost enough pro sports teams...look at the Lakers and Stars. To take away the Vikings would be wrong.

pepper 0n moss
06-13-2004, 05:56 PM
"vikings_fan66" wrote:

pepper 0n moss....... ur a bastardouch ... now that really hurt my feelings =/ ... where is it written that a fellow vike fan can't joke around here and there about the vikings moving to LA? sheesh ... i can hope and pray all i want that the vikings move to LA ... bottom line it ain't happenin and i'm down with that ... so why is it so wrong when i joke about them coming to LA?

by the way ... for your information, vikings_fan66, my parents were married long before they had me.

=)

try and have a nice day now, shall we?

VKG4LFE
06-13-2004, 07:04 PM
I never said that you being 18 really mattered in the discussion!! But try not to take things so literally!! I don't think vikings_fan66 really meant that your parents had you before they were married!!

pepper 0n moss
06-13-2004, 07:37 PM
::still sees no relevancy in him calling me a bastard::

triedandtruevikesfan
06-14-2004, 10:51 AM
there we go... no more name calling

VKG4LFE
06-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Yeah good point, there was no need for that!!

bigdogbovy
06-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Back on subject. why a vike fan.

I was born in Minny and is the F&%kin' law that you remain a Vikes fan for life no matter where you live.

magicci
06-19-2004, 01:14 PM
I would also like if the vikings would come to l.a.
purple and gold will rule cali. with lakers and vikes. I can just imagine.

magicci
06-19-2004, 01:24 PM
but i love the vikes where ever they are. i'm going up to a game this year against the titans