PDA

View Full Version : This is what I like to see!!!

VKG4LFE
06-07-2004, 03:48 PM
I found this article on the Vikings homepage, in case some of you haven't read it here it is!!

The Minnesota Vikings have signed 2004 4th-round draft choice (119th overall) RB Mewelde Moore, marking the 1st signing of the 8-member 2004 Vikings draft class.

Moore, a product of Tulane, is the Green Wave’s all-time leading rusher and only the 2nd player in NCAA history to eclipse the 4,000-yard rushing and 2,000-yard receiving mark in a career, joining former Viking Darrin Nelson. Moore was drafted in the 4th round of the 2000 Major League Baseball draft and spent 3 summers with the organization. He is poised to graduate this spring with a double major in finance and accounting.

“In the short time that Mewelde has been here he has shown a great feel for the passing game,” said Vikings Head Coach Mike Tice. “I expect him to at least be our starting kick returner in the opener against Dallas.”

MOORE’S COLLEGE TOTALS

RUSHING

Year Att. Yards TDs
2000 174 890 2
2001 262 1,421 8
2002 288 1,138 6
2003 185 915 5
Total 909 4,364 21

RECEIVING

Year Rec. Yards TDs
2000 33 350 1
2001 65 756 8
2002 52 545 3
2003 39 408 4
Total 189 2,059 15

I really like those totals he put up!! I do realize that he went to a smaller D1 college, but still hopefully this guy will really do some good things for us, and remember you can't teach speed, that is just something a good runner can have!! I am excited about this guy, David Palmer comes to mind!!! :cheers:

Cissney the Viking
06-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I like those totals but the best he will be is the #3 man out there and thats if he gets lucky.

BigEasyViking
06-07-2004, 09:16 PM
M&M could be the SOD for '04. Do you know how long it's been since we've had a good kick returner? Special Teams is a part of our game that we haven't talked about much that could be a strong point thanks to some of our rookies. BONUS!

:cheers: :thumbright: :thumbleft: :cheers:

VKG4LFE
06-08-2004, 06:54 AM
I don't expect him to be a running back, ever, but the thought of him being our main return guy is very promising!! Also, I'm sure he could get a few plays in the offense, here and there to spell one of our starters. Moe, won't be around forever, I'd give him a couple more years and I really don't think we are going to keep Bennett and Smith forever. Smith is going to want to have a starting role somewhere and as long as we have Bennett, I think he will be our main starter!! I guess we'll see, I hope we have a kick @ss return game this year though!!!

triedandtruevikesfan
06-08-2004, 10:29 AM
but I want Moe to be around for forever!!!! he is my favorite player!!

VKG4LFE
06-08-2004, 11:25 AM
I'm sorry to say triedandtrue, but I don't think Moe will be around for much longer. I'll give him this year and maybe the next year or two and he'll be gone! I love the guy, he is a great team player and does what he can to help the team win, but lets face it, he's getting up there in age and we have a couple of other really capable backs!! I hope he retires with us though and doesn't drag out his career!!

triedandtruevikesfan
06-08-2004, 11:40 AM
yeah I agree VKG, I know he won't be around for forever, and unfortunately know that its not going to be too much longer, I hope we get another year out of him after this year though. He lives in the same town as my boyfriend, I always joke that I'm gonna find his house and stalk him... hehehe... don't worry though, I wouldn't really do it ;)

VKG4LFE
06-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Sure you wouldn't stalk him!!! Just kidding!!

LosAngelis
06-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Your car won't be around forever, either, tried. :-)

purplepat
06-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Don't be wrong, I'm not knocking Moore but....

Don't know where you got the idea he has speed. He might, but it isn't like he is Michael Bennett. Just because he rushed for 4000 yards and received for 2000 in college does not mean he is "speedy" like Darrin Nelson.

Likewise, I don't think he has much of a history, if at all, of being a kickoff returner. So why get excited because Tice is earmarking him for that role? He's theoretically another warm bodied rookie (like Howry last season) who will have to earn his keep early on via special teams.

What I will agree with is that this guy will be groomed to take over for Moe Williams as a 3rd down back who can catch the ball out of the backfield. Moe isn't considered to be especially fast or shifty, and I don't believe Moore is either. Doesn't mean he won't be a "good" player for the Vikings, but calling him the SOD is pretty far fetched. Onterrio could have been the SOD last year as he showed ability that could make him a feature back in the NFL, and that isn't bad for a 4th rounder. As someone above said, Moore likely will never get that opportunity.

VKG4LFE
06-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks for bursting my bubble purplepat!!

triedandtruevikesfan
06-08-2004, 06:27 PM
shhhhh los... my car will to be around for forever :P

sdvikefan
06-08-2004, 09:03 PM
It's hard to call any player a SOD coming into or even after their rookie season. Especially in Moore's position where he will be behind three other backs. I'm sure he will get some playing time this season but we'll have to wait and see what he does over the next couple of years before we can call him a SOD.

What I expect from him this season is to make a big impact on our kick return game which has been horrible for several years.

But he does look promising and it reminds me how maybe more than any other position, the Vikings through the years have really drafted some great RBs. It's just something the talent scouts seem to have a sharp eye for in this organization.