PDA

View Full Version : Troy Williamson and the West Coast Offense

umaguma1979
01-24-2006, 04:46 AM
I think Troy will have a great year next year because of the move to the west coast offense. Remember the underneath crossing route Williamson ran for like 60 yards against the Ravens? I look for Williamson to turn a few of BJ's four yard hitches into a lot of YAC. thoughts?

VikingsTw
01-24-2006, 04:51 AM
Williamson is a great talent, he has extreme speed, agility, exeleration and quickness. If he learns to run super crisp routes he will be one of the hardest guys to defend against in the NFL. Those timing patterns johnson would throw to him on the comback/button routes where killer. He reminds me so much of Marvin Harrison, he could definitly be as good if he's got the work ethic, he has the tools as far as athleticism.

I think he needs to add a few pounds to his frame, they list him at 200 pounds but they list K Rob at 200 also, how the hell does that happen?

umaguma1979
01-24-2006, 04:53 AM
I think Marvin Harrison is a great comparision. The question with Williamson will be his ability to apply himself mentally.

VikingsTw
01-24-2006, 04:58 AM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

I think Marvin Harrison is a great comparision. The question with Williamson will be his ability to apply himself mentally.

Great coaching and devotion to players always helps in that area. Childress being a offensive guy and all he won't let his talent sit around, he will develop him into a gamer. He has all the tools to be great, now teach him to be a great football player.

VikesfaninWis
01-24-2006, 05:28 AM
See that is where Tice fucke@ up, he let Williamson's talent go to waste, I'm sorry, but you don't take a WR like that at #7 and not use him, that is what training camp is for, it was Tice's job to develop this guy, and make him an elite WR in this league, that is where Dumb a@@ dropped the ball, and why he is no longer employed with the Vikes, or any team for that matter.. We will have the next Randy Moss with us next year, except a little faster........

muchluv4smoot
01-24-2006, 05:28 AM
I think the WCO is perfect for williamson. I don't see him as a great deep ball receiver, at least not yet. Sure with his speed he can run by defenders on verticle routes, but if he doesn't get the seperation, he seems to struggle to make the deep ball catches. However, he is really good at the shorter quick routes and always seemed to be open when he ran them and if he was moving full speed when he caught the ball, he was extremely tough to catch. I thought he made huge strides when it came to route running and I was very impressed with what I saw from his route running towards the end of the season. I expect Williamson to flurish in the WCO and hopefully we now have a coach that will pick 2 guys(williamson and burleson) and let them be the starters for the year, instead of having different guys as our #1, #2, and #3 every d@mn week.

Not only does the WCO fit williamson well, but Burleson should be a beast to stop in the WCO as well, with his ability to run after the catch and with him being impossible to tackle.

Even if we do keep koren, I would love to see williamson and burleson as the starters from week 1 to week 16, with robinson being our deep threat guy at the #3 WR spot.

ItalianStallion
01-24-2006, 05:33 AM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

The thing that sets Harrison apart from most of the WRs in the league, and makes him so great is the routes he runs. He has great quickness in and out of cuts. I Williamson hopes to reach that level he has a long way to go on his route running.

VikingsTw
01-24-2006, 05:48 AM
Well comming out of college it was reported that williamson couldn't run a route if his life depended on it, he came out and showed everyone he could run routes. Not saying he's already great but if he made those kind of strides in one year he's definitly on pace. Not mention people saying he had a lack of hands wich was also false.

I like what you said muchluv about burly, some people are not factoring him in, even if we loose Krob to FA we still have TT who was very dependable last year and our red zone beast robinson.

Same goes with RB, the lack of serious rythme and scoring the past two years has been on tice shoulders for continuasly shuffling things around. I like the idea of Burly and Williamson being #1 and #2 ALL YEAR LONG, assuming there are no injuries. I look foward to next year's WR and whoever is RB.

GreenBaySlackers
01-24-2006, 05:56 AM
troy doesn't really remind me of marvin harrison... he's (troy) too raw. Troy is more like Andre Johnson in my opinoin. runs his routes alright and has great natural ability, but has that kind of improvisational skill to turn nothing into something, but might screw up the something and make it nothing. whoa...

VikingsTw
01-24-2006, 05:58 AM
"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

troy doesn't really remind me of marvin harrison... he's (troy) too raw. Troy is more like Andre Johnson in my opinoin. runs his routes alright and has great natural ability, but has that kind of improvisational skill to turn nothing into something, but might screw up the something and make it nothing. whoa...

And you have an old MAN in your signature...

GreenBaySlackers
01-24-2006, 06:00 AM
"vikingstw" wrote:

:?: eh?

umaguma1979
01-24-2006, 06:18 AM
It looks like Broadway is dark tonight.

VikingsTw
01-24-2006, 06:22 AM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

It looks like Broadway is dark tonight.

LMAOROTF

umaguma1979
01-24-2006, 06:28 AM
??????

VikingsTw
01-24-2006, 06:31 AM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

??????

Lol, i misunderstood your post man. I thought you where refering to something other then the board being slow. Nevermind.

DarrinNelsonguy
01-24-2006, 06:32 AM
TW should be improved next season not only because it is his 2nd year in the NFL. If you look back to video of him in college his biggest plays were catching crossing routes and slants and then turning them into big plays. As a result the new "MidWest Coast" offense with the slants and crossing routes should be of benefit to him and lead to a big RAC yards. Keep in mind we are running a West Coast version offense not the true system hence the trem "MidWest Coast" offense.

umaguma1979
01-24-2006, 06:33 AM
You are right - just not a lot f peeps on the board - you are right. I guess it is the offseason. Nice to meet you - I used to live in Las Cruces.

VikingsTw
01-24-2006, 06:39 AM
Cool man, we have 2 other members i know of for sure that live in New Mexico. I'm located in grants, finishing college then moving to alb.

I don't think i ever seen Troy's college highlights, if he wants to go over the middle in the NFL he better buckle up. He needs to work on his ball skills when the ball is up in the air, either Johnson's deep throws where really off or he can't adjust to the ball in the air. He didn't have an issue catching pepps longs balls in the pre season.

cajunvike
01-24-2006, 06:49 AM
"vikingstw" wrote:

Cool man, we have 2 other members i know of for sure that live in New Mexico. I'm located in grants, finishing college then moving to alb.

I don't think i ever seen Troy's college highlights, if he wants to go over the middle in the NFL he better buckle up. He needs to work on his ball skills when the ball is up in the air, either Johnson's deep throws where really off or he can't adjust to the ball in the air. He didn't have an issue catching pepps longs balls in the pre season.

You didn't see that catch he made in B'more where he was going across the middle and BJ threw it behind him...he just turned and plucked it out of the air and turned back around and kept running. TWill has shown flashes of great hands and great speed after the catch...all he really needs to work on is his route running and getting separation from the defensive back and he will be golden! I look forward to a great year next year from him and Koren as well...with TWill used alot in the slot like Jerry Rice used to be used in SF.

VikingsTw
01-24-2006, 06:53 AM
It was one of my favorite plays of the year, great catch and he didn't loose any speed doing it.

I was just saying if he's gonna play full time like he needs to be they will game plan to hit him hard when he tries to go over the middle.

umaguma1979
01-24-2006, 06:54 AM
Great comments about Troy's strengths/weaknesses and upside. He will be good this system and vice versa. Just hope he gets stronger - going over the middle is key for the slot receiver in the WCO. Think of how many receiver's careers ended or nearly ended by an errant Brett Farve pass.

GreenBaySlackers
01-24-2006, 01:21 PM
"vikingstw" wrote:

is there something WRONG with my sig?

Ill cut you, don't think i wont do it, cuz i willl...

SWAYZE74
01-24-2006, 03:07 PM
maybe he should go to C.C.'s FAST camp or whatever it was called down in florida...anyone know if hes still running that? it sure seemed to help randy alot with some of the finer points of being an elite WR in the league...but all in all troy should be alot better next year...good luck troy!!!

peace...

SamDawg84
01-24-2006, 04:30 PM
i really want to see troy exell in our new offence. wait, didnt k rob play west coast offence in seattle?

ItalianStallion
01-24-2006, 05:42 PM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

i really want to see troy exell in our new offence. wait, didnt k rob play west coast offence in seattle?

Yup. In my opinion though, almost all of our receivers are suited to play in the West Coast offense.

snowinapril
01-24-2006, 05:59 PM
I still see Troy as teh 3 or 4 guy with the guys we have right now or if he doesn't improve in the offseason.

I think the biggest problem I saw was his adjustment on the deep ball.

I also wish that he would have had a chanve to play morelast year.

IMO, Tice wsa more concerned about winning and keeping his job than coaching and development.

Wiggles67
01-24-2006, 06:19 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

See that is where Tice fucke@ up, he let Williamson's talent go to waste, I'm sorry, but you don't take a WR like that at #7 and not use him, that is what training camp is for, it was Tice's job to develop this guy, and make him an elite WR in this league, that is where Dumb a@@ dropped the ball, and why he is no longer employed with the Vikes, or any team for that matter.. We will have the next Randy Moss with us next year, except a little faster........I am going to have to disagree with everything you said in this post. If you look at the development of just about every WR that is drafted rarely does one come in and light it up his first year. TW put up about as good of numbers as any other rookie this year and in my opinion wasnt a let down at all. What you look for in a rookie WR are flashes of that brilliance which he definately showed. TW will come out much imporved and a better overall player next year.....you will say it is because of Childress and I'll say its because of the experience. To each his own, but please take a look at the top WR"s in th league and see how they all did their rookie year.