PDA

View Full Version : Jim Marshall-Hall of Fame ???

vikesoto
01-24-2006, 01:09 AM
It's Super Bowl time again,and it's the NFL's time to announce it's newest class for the HOF.And once again, Jim Marshall is on the outside looking in.How long will it take until the HOF honor's the greatest Viking,the NFL's TRUE iron man.His stat's are equal to many hall of famer's,and still he wait's.Why? Could it be no super bowl ring?That's what you hear alot from other fan's.You hear how the Dolphin's dominated the Purple Gang in Super Bowl VIII. Or how Art Shell was so overpowering that Marshall didn't have a tackle in Super Bowl XI.This kind of talk proves how you only know about him what you heard in the Super Bowl highlight film's that air on ESPN Classic! I once heard that ..." Cal Ripken Jr. is the Jim Marshall of baseball...", very true! I also heard that he can now only be inducted through the senior committee?If that's the case,who cares! Just get him in!! How many times have we heard his name mentioned in show's like Inside the NFL or on Primetime,and hear ..." I can't believe Jim Marshall's not in the HOF..."? It's just not right.

SamDawg84
01-24-2006, 01:27 AM
he should be, that guy was 1 of the best d line man to ever play

cajunvike
01-24-2006, 01:31 AM
We are just going to have to work on the Seniors Committee to get them to let him in!!!

vikesoto
01-24-2006, 01:39 AM
Who is on the Senior Committee in the Minneapolis area that the fans can communicate with?

aceclown
01-24-2006, 01:54 AM
It's his wrong way play that keeps him out of the HOF.

Ltrey33
01-24-2006, 01:57 AM
That's BS man. No doubt that guy should be in the hall!

cajunvike
01-24-2006, 02:29 AM
Seniors Committee related articles:

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/SelectionProcessFAQ.jsp

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=27&ID=32128&startYear=2000&endYear=2001

http://www.kusports.com/news/columns/story/113309

Apparently, nine VETERAN members of the overall 39-member Selection Committee form the Veteran's Committee...who they are is a mystery though.

RK.
01-24-2006, 02:40 AM
How Are New Enshrinees Selected?

Any fan may nominate any player, coach or contributor who has been connected with pro football simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The only restriction is that a player must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered. For a non-player, there is no mandatory retirement period, but a coach must be retired before he may be considered. Every nomination of an eligible candidate received will be processed and forwarded to the Hall of Fame’s Board of Selectors.

We have 5000+ registered members here. Maybe an email campaign for Marshal from PPO would help. If they got 5000 emails asking that he be inducted it could maybe push them in the right direction. All we need is the correct email address to send the nomination to. :thumbright:

Prophet
01-24-2006, 02:49 AM
Good idea RK. He should be in the hall.

BBQ Platypus
01-24-2006, 04:53 AM
Yeah. This pisses me off. I blame the East Coast media. This is one of the biggest travesties in football. I refuse to acknowledge any legitimacy in the Hall of Fame as a true measure of greatness until Marshall is in the Hall. Until then, it's a fraud in my eyes.

gregair13
01-24-2006, 07:28 AM
this year this is some great players trying to get in, so he is going to have to wait

cajunvike
01-24-2006, 07:37 AM
"RK." wrote:

Any fan may nominate any player, coach or contributor who has been connected with pro football simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The only restriction is that a player must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered. For a non-player, there is no mandatory retirement period, but a coach must be retired before he may be considered. Every nomination of an eligible candidate received will be processed and forwarded to the Hall of Fame’s Board of Selectors.

We have 5000+ registered members here. Maybe an email campaign for Marshal from PPO would help. If they got 5000 emails asking that he be inducted it could maybe push them in the right direction. All we need is the correct email address to send the nomination to. :thumbright:

I nominate RK to organize the petition from PP.O members!!! Anybody second this motion???

snowinapril
01-24-2006, 08:40 AM
"aceclown" wrote:

That shouldn't keep him out.

I think that the Halls need to think about adding one more enshrinee each year. There are some very noteworthy players in baseball and football that are on the cusp of getting in each year and don't, but should.

Needs to be some rule changes somewhere. There are more guys playing now than there were then. I think it is time to expand the numbers a bit.

Marshall needs to get in along with Henry Carson of the Giants. Marshall first of course.

Prophet
01-24-2006, 12:46 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

I nominate RK to organize the petition from PP.O members!!! Anybody second this motion???

I second the motion. We move RK. into the official petition organizer mode. Your first duty in the HOF at PP.O is to organize the petition. You may begin your duties.

whackthepack
01-24-2006, 05:09 PM
It comes back to the Superbowls, if we had won 2 of them Jim Marshall would be in the hall! But because we lost all 4 he gets put on the waiting list!

MnFan_in_Canada
01-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Unfortunately, I think Whackthepack is correct. If only the Vikes had won a SB or two, not only would Marshall be in but a few more Vikings from that era would be in as well.

RK, get that email petition going.

Let our voices be heard!

NordicNed
01-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Where is that Petition already?..

I've got my Sharpie ready to sign...

Jim should have gone in long ago.......I could never figure that one out.....

RK.
01-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Ok ok I will see what I can put together. sheesh This is the last time I make a suggestion. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ultravikingfan
01-24-2006, 07:14 PM
"RK." wrote:

Ok ok I will see what I can put together. sheesh This is the last time I make a suggestion. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Always starting trouble! :razz:

Muggsy
01-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Hey! Why don't we get Zygi involved, y'know? He's been pretty active in bringin' da old school Vikes, like Eller, to da forefront lately. And he's hired a PR foim from Cal. to try an' get a new stadium, y'know? I tink he might do da same for good ol' Marshall, y'know? Is dere a way we can email Zygi, or da team, ta get dis goin'?

Vikesfan4evr
01-24-2006, 08:29 PM
I agree Marshall should be inducted and also agree had the Vikes wona SB or two he would be there already. I just wish his inductation would have been done by his peers to truly appreciate what he brought to the game. Unfortunately it seems the only way he may get what he deserves is for us fans to voice our opinions, and I'm all for that. Git R Dun RK....

nephilimstorm
01-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Marshall should have been inducted years ago...he only has been on the dock since 92

PurpleRide
01-24-2006, 08:37 PM
it's too late now, marshalls claim to fame was surpassed by a kicker this year. I wish he would have made it, but he didnt.

RK.
01-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Ok here is what I found out. To nominate a candidate you can send a snail mail to the HOF at this address. There is no email address to the HOF that I could find for sending a nomination to.

Pro Football Hall of Fame
2121 George Halas Drive NW
Canton, Ohio 44708

The writers that sit on the senior selection committee that nominate older players are as follows along with an email link for those I could find.

Don Pierson, Chicago Tribune* DPierson@tribune.com
Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News* rgosselin@dallasnews.com
Jerry Green, The Detroit News* retired couldn't find email
John McClain, Houston Chronicle* john.mcclain@chron.com
Edwin Pope, Miami Herald* epope@herald.com
Jerry Magee, San Diego Union Tribune* jerrymagee@uniontrib.com
Len Shapiro, Washington Post* badgerlen@hotmail.com
Dave Goldberg, Associated Press* No email available

I think dropping them a note with the email subject being
Please nominate Jim Marshall to HOF

With a short note like

Thank you for considering Jim Marshall for this years HOF nominations.
or
Isn't it time for Jim Marshall to be inducted?

Or something like that might be in order. If anyone finds any other info for sending out requests please post it. Also it looks like they will be meeting at the time of the super bowl to make a list of this years nominations. They vote around the first of June with induction in August.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-24-2006, 09:18 PM
"RK." wrote:

Ok here is what I found out. To nominate a candidate you can send a snail mail to the HOF at this address. There is no email address to the HOF that I could find for sending a nomination to.

Canton, Ohio 44708

The writers that sit on the senior selection committee that nominate older players are as follows along with an email link for those I could find.

With a short note like

or

Or something like that might be in order. If anyone finds any other info for sending out requests please post it. Also it looks like they will be meeting at the time of the super bowl to make a list of this years nominations. They vote around the first of June with induction in August.

Great!! Thanks RK.

Now lets get cracking. Wouldn't it be great if we were partially responsible for getting Jim inducted into the Hall?

cajunvike
01-24-2006, 09:31 PM
"RK." wrote:

Canton, Ohio 44708

With a short note like

or

Awesome research, RK!!! Now I see where your daughter got her brains from!!!

Now her looks...I know she got that from her mom! :lol:

vikesoto
01-24-2006, 10:21 PM
For all those who say that he would be in if the Vikes won a Super Bowl, let me ask you,does Dan Fouts or Dan Dierdorf have a ring?? NO!!!! Hell,they "never" got to a Super Bowl,yet they're in! I think "publicity" has more to do with it than anything else.I also agree that voters have a short memory and players like Minnesota's Marshall are the ones who get the short end of the stick. I only hope the same long waiting game dosen't happen to men like Randall McDaniel,John Randle, Joey Browner, A.C.,and Chris Doleman,who are part the next generation of Vikings that "should" be in the HOF.But we have to remember,"no ring's" for any of them too!

ultravikingfan
01-24-2006, 10:24 PM
"vikesoto" wrote:

For all those who say that he would be in if the Vikes won a Super Bowl, let me ask you,does Dan Fouts or Dan Dierdorf have a ring?? NO!!!! Hell,they "never" got to a Super Bowl,yet they're in! I think "publicity" has more to do with it than anything else.I also agree that voters have a short memory and players like Minnesota's Marshall are the ones who get the short end of the stick. I only hope the same long waiting game dosen't happen to men like Randall McDaniel,John Randle, Joey Browner, A.C.,and Chris Doleman,who are part the next generation of Vikings that "should" be in the HOF.But we have to remember,"no ring's" for any of them too!

Although we like them and they were good, Browner, AC, and probably Doleman will not make the HoF.

McDaniel will. He was the best for years and is considered one of the best ever. Randle should also make it too.

nephilimstorm
01-24-2006, 10:26 PM
the only publicity minnesota vikes get is from the tribune...but of course when things go wrong espn and cnn are all over it

ultravikingfan
01-24-2006, 10:27 PM
"vikesoto" wrote:

Cris Carter will be a first ballot HoF'r.

Him along with McDaniel will be our only 2 for awhile.

vikesoto
01-24-2006, 11:07 PM
You see,"publicity" has so much to do with it! Nobody questions men like Bruce Smith who,most would agree,a HOFamer.Yet nobody talks about Chris Doleman who:
1.retired as the NFL's 4th all-time leading sacker
2.was named the NFL's Defensive POY in 1992
3.was named to numerous Pro Bowl's
4.was named to the Pro Football's all-decade team
for the 90's
Look where this ex-Viking #s rank with other DE's , you would probably be surprised.I remember reading a SI article some time back,when their Dr.Z said he would vote for a Chris Doleman "before" a John Randle.The Vikings NEED TO publicize their players,on camera,and in newspapers around the country,not just in Minnesota,to generate some interest,to make peaple remember who was great!!!

whackthepack
01-25-2006, 12:15 AM
Chris will be a hall of famer, but I think he is not eligible yet. I think it is 5 year waiting period after you retire, so he should be up soon.

ultravikingfan
01-25-2006, 12:18 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Chris will be a hall of famer, but I think he is not eligible yet. I think it is 5 year waiting period after you retire, so he should be up soon.

Yes. Its 5 years.

His last year was 1999 for us.

aceclown
01-25-2006, 01:07 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"aceclown" wrote:

That shouldn't keep him out.

I think that the Halls need to think about adding one more enshrinee each year. There are some very noteworthy players in baseball and football that are on the cusp of getting in each year and don't, but should.

Needs to be some rule changes somewhere. There are more guys playing now than there were then. I think it is time to expand the numbers a bit.

Marshall needs to get in along with Henry Carson of the Giants. Marshall first of course.

I was joking dude.

RK.
01-25-2006, 02:08 AM
"RK." wrote:

Canton, Ohio 44708

With a short note like

or

I hope you are all getting those emails out. Lets git er done :thumbright:

ultravikingfan
01-25-2006, 04:55 AM
This is now a short-term sticky so people can email to voters.

Good idea RK!

Prophet
01-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Good work RK. E-mail away.

purplepat
01-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I'll go out on a limb to be unpopular.

Jim Marshall is not HOF material.

Jim was very good. But he was not a dominating, "position-defining" type of player. He is not in the same class as a Deacon Jones, or Carl Eller, or Bruce Smith. Jim's longevity record is amazing, but one shouldn't get into the Hall simply for a record like that. Now, I've heard others argue that there are defensive ends in the HOF now that weren't any better than Jim. Howie Long and Elvin Bethea are two names that were mentioned. It's hard for me to argue for either Long or Bethea; I'd really have to have watched them play more in their heyday and see their career stats. I had read somewhere that Marshall has around 130 career sacks. That's a good number (not record shattering or anything), until you consider that Jim played for 20 full seasons. That averages out to about 6.5 sacks per season...not HOF numbers in my book. Now, Jim may hold some record for fumble recoveries or something like that as well, but again you are talking over 20 seasons.

If the Vikings had won a Super Bowl or two, then maybe Marshall would have gotten in. But in my opinion, far too many players have gotten in solely because they were on teams that won Super Bowls. Terry Bradshaw is probably less responsible for the Steelers winning four Super Bowls than the Steel Curtain defense was, and Bradshaw was not a great QB statistically, yet he is in the HOF. I don't think this is right either.

Hey, I'm a stat man. If you believe Marshall should be in the HOF, then please post the statistics that support your argument. But as you do that, do a little research on other retired NFL defensive ends whose stats are similar to or better than Marshall's and explain to me why Marshall deserves to be in the Hall but these other guys do not.

RK.
01-28-2006, 04:32 AM
Well I might agree with you if being in the HOF were only about stats. But records are broken every year. Jim Marshall played at the highest level of professional play for more years than anyone else I can think of. His team may not have won a super bowl but he started in 4 of them. He started in 282 consecutive games and not as a punter. :razz: All I know is that Carl Eller and Alan Page and Bud Grant all think he should be inducted and since they are all in the HOF and played beside him for many years I trust their judgment. I suspect they know that he helped them get there and that he was more than just his stats. :smile:

VKG4LFE
01-28-2006, 09:11 AM
I never got to see him play (unfortunately) but there is no reason that he shouldn't be in the HOF right now!

JellyBean2144
01-29-2006, 05:09 PM
I am starting to dislike all of the Major Sports HOFs, except the NBA at least they get it right. Baseball and Football always seems to have some sort of problems with who gets in and who doesn't.

I think that Jim should have been in the Hall of Fame years ago and the reasons that people give for him not being there are silly. How in the world can have of the Pittsburgh Steelers team be in the HOF and not Marshall?

THis is a joke, get Marshall in the HOF.

ultravikingfan
01-29-2006, 08:33 PM
"JellyBean2144" wrote:

I am starting to dislike all of the Major Sports HOFs, except the NBA at least they get it right. Baseball and Football always seems to have some sort of problems with who gets in and who doesn't.

I think that Jim should have been in the Hall of Fame years ago and the reasons that people give for him not being there are silly. How in the world can have of the Pittsburgh Steelers team be in the HOF and not Marshall?

THis is a joke, get Marshall in the HOF.

They have 4 Super Bowl rings, thats how.

vikesoto
01-30-2006, 08:03 AM
The HOF is "supposed" to be based on the "individual" player's "own" merit's, not the team's success, but it seems the voter's have forgotten that! On FSN's pro football show this week, it was suggested that the voting process be taken "away" from the media, and given to coaches and players who have a "better" understanding! I hope Moon and Zimmerman make it this year!! The more Vikings in the HOF the better( I personally don't care if they spent only a part of their career in Minnesota, once a Viking,always a Viking!!!).

slimerg0d
02-02-2006, 04:00 AM
"RK." wrote:

This is a great idea. I would love to see him in the HOF. I found this web site and maybe it can help, not sure how out dated it is, it looks old.

http://www.thefootballsearchengine.com/JimMarshall/emailvoters/

Peace

midgensa
02-02-2006, 04:32 AM
He definitely should be in the hall and it is a mystery that he is not ... give it some time and he may make it in through the seniors

RK.
02-02-2006, 04:59 AM
"slimerg0d" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

This is a great idea. I would love to see him in the HOF. I found this web site and maybe it can help, not sure how out dated it is, it looks old.

http://www.thefootballsearchengine.com/JimMarshall/emailvoters/

Peace
Thats a great site with lots of info and pics. Nice post. :smile:

BBQ Platypus
02-02-2006, 06:52 PM
"purplepat" wrote:

I'll go out on a limb to be unpopular.

Jim Marshall is not HOF material.

Jim was very good. But he was not a dominating, "position-defining" type of player. He is not in the same class as a Deacon Jones, or Carl Eller, or Bruce Smith. Jim's longevity record is amazing, but one shouldn't get into the Hall simply for a record like that. Now, I've heard others argue that there are defensive ends in the HOF now that weren't any better than Jim. Howie Long and Elvin Bethea are two names that were mentioned. It's hard for me to argue for either Long or Bethea; I'd really have to have watched them play more in their heyday and see their career stats. I had read somewhere that Marshall has around 130 career sacks. That's a good number (not record shattering or anything), until you consider that Jim played for 20 full seasons. That averages out to about 6.5 sacks per season...not HOF numbers in my book. Now, Jim may hold some record for fumble recoveries or something like that as well, but again you are talking over 20 seasons.

If the Vikings had won a Super Bowl or two, then maybe Marshall would have gotten in. But in my opinion, far too many players have gotten in solely because they were on teams that won Super Bowls. Terry Bradshaw is probably less responsible for the Steelers winning four Super Bowls than the Steel Curtain defense was, and Bradshaw was not a great QB statistically, yet he is in the HOF. I don't think this is right either.

Hey, I'm a stat man. If you believe Marshall should be in the HOF, then please post the statistics that support your argument. But as you do that, do a little research on other retired NFL defensive ends whose stats are similar to or better than Marshall's and explain to me why Marshall deserves to be in the Hall but these other guys do not.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't they only start keeping track of sacks as an official stat until later in his career?

Del Rio
02-02-2006, 07:00 PM
I read an article in a mag last year about why Marshall isn't in the hall of fame. I don't recal the reasons, but it was basically saying you need more then numbers, and you need more then benefiting for extreemly high caliber players around you.

Something about how it is hard to shine when you play with the group he did. Page and all.

Anyway he will never be in HOF. Sad truth. The guy should be for sure.

vikesoto
02-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Speaking of Marshall,he was on Outside the Lines last night where he showed he is all class, by giving that punter (I forget his name) the nod as the NFL's record holder for games played. Bob Lee seemed to try to get Jim to say punters aren't "real" football players, and Marshall was quick to point out how so many games can be won or lost by the punters kicks and that there is no rule that defines who is able to set records, be it linemen or punters.Jim Marshall is everything you can expect from a true professional! The subject turned to the HOF, where we heard again,..." when you mention HOF, you ask why Jim Marshall isn't in...".Hey ESPN, instead of always saying that, why don't you HELP MAKE IT A REALITY !!!!!!
If there is a company that can get the ball rolling,they would be them.

BIGDADDYG
02-03-2006, 12:41 AM
It is an absolute travisty that Jim Marshall is not in the Hall of Fame!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: