PDA

View Full Version : ESPN is now saying Culpepper trade may happen...

Pages : [1] 2

NordicNed
01-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Maybe there is something to all the talk about CPEP wanting out of the Vikings Ship..

They said, it's more for personal reasons, and he wants a new start....

Did someone actually interview him from ESPN? They didn't say this.....

But 3 teams they mentioned looking at him are...

Miami, Ravens, and believe it or not.....The Raiders...

WOW, this is going to be a hell of an off season for us......

Ltrey33
01-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Did Mort say this on Sunday countdown? Or who was it?

ChezPizmo
01-22-2006, 07:18 PM
I was just watching 'Sunday NFL Countdown' and on the headlines they reported that a Culpepper trade is more realistic than not.
They said that ole Pepper is looking for more money, but at the moment, the Vikes aren't complying.
I know there have been many forums about this subject, but sense it was on Countdown, it's almost like a reality check on how possible this could happen.
Neither Culpepper nor Childress commented as of late.

(I forgot the exact headline and how it was worded, but it was something like "Culpepper angling for trade?")

ChezPizmo
01-22-2006, 07:20 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

Yeah, I just saw it on Countdown and made a thread about it. They said "personal reasons" and that he wants more money...
But what the heck personal reasons would he have to wanna be traded?
Sounds like an excuse to me.

cc21
01-22-2006, 07:21 PM
If this actually does happen this would be crazy. Trade off our 2 best players in the last 2 years. If we do trade him we better get something way better then a first round draft pick and Napoleon Harris, thats all I got to say. It better be for like Ray Ray Lewis or Julius Peppers or someone like that.

Wiggles67
01-22-2006, 07:24 PM
The more I am hearing this off season the more I am starting to accept that the Vikings are in for some MAJOR changes. I just really hope that Wilf, Childress, and company are the "savoirs" for this team and that all these moves are going to be for the positive and to help this team out in the long run.

I am definately preparing for rocky season or 2 with the hopes of building for the future. The biggest thing that worries me is that our team wasnt THAT bad and there is still all this change so far

ejmat
Bottom line is his stock isn't high right now so getting either of those calibur players is not realistic. I'd be happy getting someone like Carlos Dansby and a good OL.

FedjeViking
Then there's this...

Orlando Sentinal (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-nflinsider22_106jan22,0,3589732.column?track=rss)
Vikes, Culpepper may divorce
Chris Harry
Published January 22, 2006

Hard to believe, but the saga of the Minnesota Vikings took another
soap-opera turn this past week.

Imagine the look on the face of Rob Brzezinski, vice president of
football operations, when agent Mason Ashe walked into Vikings
headquarters and told the team that Daunte Culpepper deserved a raise.

Before continuing, let's get something straight. Culpepper is a good
guy. He was a beacon of positive exposure for UCF and has been a
tremendous community influence in Orlando. Culpepper also has been a
great NFL quarterback and citizen the better part of his career.

But he wasn't this season.

Culpepper signed a 10-year contract extension for $102 million in April
2003. Last summer, new Vikings owner Zygi Wilf agreed to add $8 million
worth of bonuses to the deal, $6 million of which is due in mid-March.

Wilf has given no indication he will renege, despite what only could be
construed as a six-month nightmare with the franchise's marquee player.

In a year when the Vikings were a fashionable pick to win the NFC,
Culpepper got the team off to a 2-5 start, throwing twice as many
interceptions (12) as touchdowns (six) before suffering a season-ending
knee injury.

Then things got worse.

While veteran Brad Johnson was turning the Vikings' season around --
leading them back into the playoff chase with six consecutive victories
-- Culpepper was hit with misdemeanor charges in the infamous "Love
Boat' scandal, damaging his squeaky-clean reputation.

Now he wants more money?

On the face of it, none of it makes sense.

Then again, it all does.

Culpepper wants out of Minnesota. Making ungodly demands at the most
inopportune time is the first step in trying to force the issue. And
don't think some of Culpepper's former coaches and biggest fans --
Dennis Green in Arizona, Brian Billick in Baltimore and Scott Linehan in
St. Louis -- won't be watching this development.

cc21
01-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Well let's trade him for Ray Lewis than. I'm all for that I guess.

ChezPizmo
01-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Culpepper is starting to fall towards my "unliked" side. I mean, he's a great player, but from reports and what he is trying to do doesn't seem like he is worried about the team.
But then again, he hasn't had his word in. Hopefully once he makes a public statement he will set everything straight and help anwser some questions and help people realize.

I also agree that we better get someone(s) good for Culpepper, because we hardly got jack for Moss.

Mr. Purple
01-22-2006, 07:29 PM
THis is gettin pretty crazy.

NordicNed
01-22-2006, 07:41 PM
"ChezPizmo" wrote:

"ltrey33" wrote:

Yeah, I just saw it on Countdown and made a thread about it. They said "personal reasons" and that he wants more money...

Personal reasons,?

Can you say Boat Party?...

I'm a married man, and if I understand women at all, his wife probably doesn't want to step foot back in MN for as long as she lives..

I can hear her now, " You basterd, you cheated on me on some dam boat with an Atlanta Whore and you expect me to go back to MN next year and face all those people?"

If you do go there honey, it will be without me, and you can plan on signing all your bonus money to me during the divorce....

Personal reasons?....thats what I'm talking about.....

Wiggles67
01-22-2006, 07:49 PM
I have always had the impression that C-Pep is a team guy and just a down right good person. I even defended him last year when he came out and asked for the restructuring of his contract because he didnt whine about it, use the media to get it, or anything of the sort. He handled it very professionally and in what I would call very good business manner.

Unfortunately, anything and everything I have seen about this guy since the injury has basically been the exact opposite of what I was expecting out of him. I am not sure if this is Daunte showing his true colors or he has changed.....either way I dont like a thing about it. :sad:

cc21
01-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Ned, you tell it like it is. You da man!

If this trade does happen we gotta get a really good player for him though, I do not wants us trading an awsome guy for a damn Napoleon Harris again.

nephilimstorm
01-22-2006, 07:58 PM
If Baltimore wants C -pep why not get Ray Lewis

If Miami wants him lets get Ricky Williams

If the Raiders want him lets bring back Randy lol

Just dreaming...

Mr. Purple
01-22-2006, 08:00 PM
I dont think Daunte did anything really wrong. I mean he is married and shouldnt be gettin a lap dance. But its not like every guy in america at a strip club is single. But that is a good point Ned, very good actually. Probably family reasons behind it all. It would be weird seeing Daunte in a Ravens Jersey.....but Ray Lewis in a Viking's jersey....oooooweee!

singersp
01-22-2006, 08:01 PM
"ChezPizmo" wrote:

"ltrey33" wrote:

It doesn't to me. The media here will never give DC a fair shake. They will always be looking for some type of dirt on him now.

Sounds to me like he wants to put it all behind him & it would be difficult to do that here.

It might have something to do with Tice being fired.

It might be the "guaranteed" money.

We just won't know for sure until we hear it from Pep himself.

Just watch how the media will twist & spin the "personal reason" thing & run with it, before they know the real answers.

RK.
01-22-2006, 08:02 PM
How long will it be before someone posts the "Culpeper is a Cancer" thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr. Purple
01-22-2006, 08:03 PM
I was just thinking.....probably one of the "personal" reasons he wants out is becuase of Tice and Co being run out of here. Daunte is a Tice supporter and probably felt a loyality to him. IDK I dont want rikki williams for daunte thoo.....I dont want ANOTHER lopsided traded.

nephilimstorm
01-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Like i said in another post...exactly...we dont want another Hershel Walker trade

Euphman06
01-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Man, I had respect for this man... I can't believe what he is supposedly doing. Our offseason is going to be a frantic one...

nephilimstorm
01-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Well now the true colors shine for C-pep

carterfan
01-22-2006, 08:12 PM
I am so disappointed in Culpepper. As many of you have mentioned, I can only hope this is media crap, and Cpep will clear his name and make this all go away. He was by far my most favorite player, a real stand-up guy, and definetly the best player on the team. When we traded Moss, I thought CPep would shine like never before. All this crap has been very disappointing. There is a reason I bought a #11 jersey and not a #84. As far as getting some superstar for Culpepper - highly unlikely. We got what we could for Moss while he was still playing at a high level. His problem was his attitude. Cpep playing poorly and then getting hurt - very serious injury that could be career threatening. He handled his new contract last year very professionally. Why can't he do that now ? He is obviously in no position to demand anything from the VIkings, so why is he ? If he wants to go, then step up and say, hey, trade me.

Anyway, the game is what it is, and if we trade Cpep, getting a good defensive player(s) is fine, but what about quaterback ? Is Brad really the answer ? He could never stay healthy when he played for the Vikings 10yrs ago, how is he expected to make it through the season at his current age ? I think he is around 37, right ? Can't knock his talent, and he stepped in and was very comfortable in the new offense. New coaches wanting the WC offense will fit Johnson well, I am just concered about him staying healthy.

mewario
01-22-2006, 08:21 PM
If it's the Ravens, I want Ed Reed and their 1st Rounder.. if it's the Raiders, I want Robert Gallery and their 1st Rounder.. if it's Miami.. beats me, i don't know what I would want from them other than their 1st Rounder.

Hey, a fella can dream..

ejmat
01-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Guys it's going to be difficult to get a superstar for him right now. I would be happy with Carlos Dansby and a decent OL. We need to trade for someone like David Gerard or Matt Shaub.

I always believed in the saying, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going." Well the going is tough right now. And Pep wants to get going but not in the right way. He's not handling the pressure of being challenged. It's nice to be comfortable and be the man. Now that he's not he wants to leave. He reminds me of a Pat Riley. Everytime a team starts to decline he wants to run. Lakers, Knicks and Heat. Then he wants to come back and coach again when they are good. I've lost respect for Pep. Instead of angling his emotions into wanting to get better and take the challenge of improving from last year, he all of the sudden wants a new start. He has a new start right in MN if he wants it.

NordicNed
01-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Bottom line for me is this,

If none of it's true, why wouldn't PeP have steped up to the plate already and make a statement saying so?

I meen comon,

If my rep was being flung around by the media and none of it was actualy true, I'de get off my ass like really quick and put a big boot up the medias ass.....

But I haven't seen or heard a word about PEP saying none of this is going on, and the worst part is he hasn't said he is okay with all going on and he plans on being back to play...

Another thing is, why the hell hasn't PEP met in person with Childress yet?...

Okay, I can understand he wants to re-hab in the warm weather, and is thinking wisely about the possibility of taking a fall on the frozen tundra of MN. So why not invite Childress to his place?..

Theres for sure some stuff thats going on behind closed doors, I just hate the way they make us fans sweat it out..

mewario
01-22-2006, 08:27 PM
I have a feeling when Daunte finally speaks, it won't be good news coming out of his mouth..

michaelmazid
01-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Daunte is good as gone. Usually rumors don't last this long without the people involved in them stepping up and clearing the air. Daunte will not be coming back next year. Brad will get the starting knod and we need to draft a QB right away. I just hope we don't get scrwed like we did in the Randy trade.

I would love to get Ed Reed but that won't happen. Terrel Sugs in good also.

VikesfaninWis
01-22-2006, 08:36 PM
We will be lucky just to get a decent player for Pep, let alone a first rounder, if we can get a first rounder, we will surely not get a player in the deal. If we would make a trade with the Ravens, having Ray Lewis would be sweettttttt, he is a play maker, and a definite leader on a team. I don't like the Ricky Williams deal, lets face it, who knows when he will pick up his ball and go home again, besides I like the rumors of Wilf and Co, going after Shaun Alexander alot better.

It is all rumor right now, but one has to wonder with all of this stuff in the open, wht hasn't Pep come out and said anything, it looks like he will be headed down the highway sometime soon. Hers hoping that the new Vikings can start anew, and finally put this all together, we have some of the best players in the league, now it is time to start using them in that capacity..

COJOMAY
01-22-2006, 08:38 PM
You aren't gonna like this...
Pro-Fooball Talk is reposting that the Vikes can expect a lot less than we would like. Here's the quote from them:

Though we agree that something could happen with Culpepper, we disagree with Walters' suggestion that a first-round pick and a player would change hands. Culpepper is rehabbing from three torn knee ligaments, and his confidence similarly was shredded through six regular season games in which his play seriously regressed. At best, the Vikes would get a second-day pick in 2006 and a conditional first-day pick in 2007 that could go as high as a first-rounder based on his performance this season.

Wiggles67
01-22-2006, 08:39 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Bottom line for me is this,

If none of it's true, why wouldn't PeP have steped up to the plate already and make a statement saying so?

I meen comon,

If my rep was being flung around by the media and none of it was actualy true, I'de get off my jiggly butt like really quick and put a big boot up the medias jiggly butt.....

But I haven't seen or heard a word about PEP saying none of this is going on, and the worst part is he hasn't said he is okay with all going on and he plans on being back to play...

Another thing is, why the hell hasn't PEP met in person with Childress yet?...

Okay, I can understand he wants to re-hab in the warm weather, and is thinking wisely about the possibility of taking a fall on the frozen tundra of MN. So why not invite Childress to his place?..

Theres for sure some stuff thats going on behind closed doors, I just hate the way they make us fans sweat it out..well Ned said it about perfect for me so wont even try haha!

As for actually getting Ed Reed.....that would be an amazing pick up and would answer the question about chavous.....but yeah I have a feeling this would just be dreaming

Mr. Purple
01-22-2006, 08:40 PM
IMO I rather keep him here and him not play then that deal right there. Thats bulls**t, we HAVE to get more IMO to trade em.

Wiggles67
01-22-2006, 08:42 PM
sorry I shoud have added with draft picks

ItalianStallion
01-22-2006, 08:50 PM
If Culpepper does go, I honestly believe we have to put ourselves in a position to take Matt Leinart or Vince Young, which may be tough. Do you think any of the top 3 teams would have interest?

DCPologirl
01-22-2006, 08:57 PM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

I dont think Daunte did anything really wrong. I mean he is married and shouldnt be gettin a lap dance. But its not like every guy in america at a strip club is single. But that is a good point Ned, very good actually. Probably family reasons behind it all. It would be weird seeing Daunte in a Ravens Jersey.....but Ray Lewis in a Viking's jersey....oooooweee!

Well supposedly his wife is very religious,,,,they are supposedly born again Christians so maybe Ned is right :cry:

Muggsy
01-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Wha' happened to Daunte from the end of 2004 to da beginnin' of 2005, hah? Wha' happened? He was da best in da league, in my dishonest opinion, an den, blam! He goes 2-5, has sucky stats, love boat, an' a disappearin' act when Brad goes 7-2. Wha' happened to da best player on our team?

Man, I don't know. I know Linehan and Moss were gone. I know da Vikes were undercoached, but, how could a quality, talented guy, toin inta anudda bum? I jus' don' get it.

Ya can't believe alla da media 'bout dis, y'know? Ya gotta trow out 'bout half of what dey say, y'know? But, it still don't look good for ol' DC. It really sounds like he wants out, y'know?

Well, if'n he wants out, den I say, don' let da door hit 'im in da butt on da way out. We needs a team. T-E-A-M. Like what da Patriots won wit' da last 4 years. A team!

C'mon, DC, pull yaself tagedda before it's too late, y'know?

SharperVikings
01-22-2006, 09:00 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

If Culpepper does go, I honestly believe we have to put ourselves in a position to take Matt Leinart or Vince Young, which may be tough. Do you think any of the top 3 teams would have interest?
I agree! If you look at the top 3 teams, all 3 could be interested...but 2 realisticly (tennessee and new orleans)....

ItalianStallion
01-22-2006, 09:03 PM
"SharperVikings" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I agree! If you look at the top 3 teams, all 3 could be interested...but 2 realisticly (tennessee and new orleans)....

Of course those two are very interested in new QBs, but would they be willing to gamble on Culpepper rather than gamble on Leinart or Young? I wouldn't if I was them.

DCPologirl
01-22-2006, 09:06 PM
"OldManVike" wrote:

Wha' happened to Daunte from the end of 2004 to da beginnin' of 2005, hah? Wha' happened? He was da best in da league, in my dishonest opinion, an den, blam! He goes 2-5, has sucky stats, love boat, an' a disappearin' act when Brad goes 7-2. Wha' happened to da best player on our team?

Man, I don't know. I know Linehan and Moss were gone. I know da Vikes were undercoached, but, how could a quality, talented guy, toin inta anudda bum? I jus' don' get it.

Ya can't believe alla da media 'bout dis, y'know? Ya gotta trow out 'bout half of what dey say, y'know? But, it still don't look good for ol' DC. It really sounds like he wants out, y'know?

Well, if'n he wants out, den I say, don' let da door hit 'im in da butt on da way out. We needs a team. T-E-A-M. Like what da Patriots won wit' da last 4 years. A team!

C'mon, DC, pull yaself tagedda before it's too late, y'know?

Gosh please pull your self together Daunte :sad:

NordicNed
01-22-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm still going to say,

If it's for some personal reasons, his wife is saying something also.....

I don't bye the part he upset about Tice, he might be upset, but it's what happens at this level of play and the players know how to deal with it..
But not many wifes want to deal with a cheating husband, unless it's totaly on their terms, because the wife has the ball and is running with it at this point..

I'm starting to see, into it now, he has to find a way out so his agent comes up with the idea ask for an uncalled for raise...That will get them to let you go.....Or you can just put it on the Vikings, saying their cheap and don't really want you anymore...
Save face, I think Daunte is trying to do that now, and there's no easy way..

Only Bill Clinton can pull off that stunt, because he had a " I don't care about it" loser for a wife, who was only interested in her own agendas anyways..

Oh boy, I did it now...............

I better just shut up now....................

singersp
01-22-2006, 09:10 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

I'm still going to say,

I don't bye the part he upset about Tice, he might be upset, but it's what happens at this level of play and the players know how to deal with it..
But not many wifes want to deal with a cheating husband, unless it's totaly on their terms, because the wife has the ball and is running with it at this point..

I'm starting to see, into it now, he has to find a way out so his agent comes up with the idea ask for an uncalled for raise...That will get them to let you go.....Or you can just put it on the Vikings, saying their cheap and don't really want you anymore...

Only Bill Clinton can pull off that stunt, because he had a " I don't care about it" loser for a wife, who was only interested in her own agendas anyways..

Be careful now Ned. You might have to put a boot up your own silliness! :lol:

nephilimstorm
01-22-2006, 09:21 PM
geesh...what a article...

Lando
01-22-2006, 09:36 PM
He is under contract .. I hope Childress/Wilf make him honor that and at least see what he can do next year.

NordicNed
01-22-2006, 09:38 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"VikingNed" wrote:

I'm still going to say,

Be careful now Ned. You might have to put a boot up your own silliness! :lol:

I was going to kick myself after seeing what I wrote Singer... :lol:

finnishvikingsfan
01-22-2006, 09:46 PM
I dont remember where I read this but I read the Cardnials are willing to give up the 10th pick in the draft and Adrian Wilson for Daunte. It also said they might swing something where they could get rid of smoot and sign b-will.

magicci
01-22-2006, 09:50 PM
daunte please dont go. please. :cry: if you leave then it really is true that the vikings are cursed.

hovan
01-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Curse? I thought that was proven in 99! :shock:

kramer9guy
01-22-2006, 09:59 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

If this trade was to happen, even though they are gonna have problems with the salary cap, I can see the Raiders being involved. A reunited Culpepper and Moss is a logical starting point for this trade to happen on their end. Plus, we could possibly get their #1 pick, and with that, I like QB Jay Cutler.

Last off-season when Moss was traded I was semi-surprised. I can't say I didn't see it coming, but I didn't think it would happen. Now, with all of the Culpepper rumors swirling, and the circumstances seemingly perfect for a trade (a still new owner, new coach, new GM and the various problems of last season still lingering in MN), I don't think Daunte is gonna be a Viking next season. He wasn't on the our sideline supporting the team after his injury and I don't think he will be on our sideline again.

But again, don't get me wrong, I'm not wishing for a Daunte trade, I would like him back as our starter someday (maybe after coming back from his injuries slowly under Brad's leadership next season), I just don't see it happening. IMO, Daunte has given every possible sign that he wants out since the injury.

hovan
01-22-2006, 10:07 PM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

If this trade was to happen, even though they are gonna have problems with the salary cap, I can see the Raiders being involved. A reunited Culpepper and Moss is a logical starting point for this trade to happen on their end. Plus, we could possibly get their #1 pick, and with that, I like QB Jay Cutler.

Last off-season when Moss was traded I was semi-surprised. I can't say I didn't see it coming, but I didn't think it would happen. Now, with all of the Culpepper rumors swirling, and the circumstances seemingly perfect for a trade (a still new owner, new coach, new GM and the various problems of last season still lingering in MN), I don't think Daunte is gonna be a Viking next season. He wasn't on the our sideline supporting the team after his injury and I don't think he will be on our sideline again.

But again, don't get me wrong, I'm not wishing for a Daunte trade, I would like him back as our starter someday (maybe after coming back from his injuries slowly under Brad's leadership next season), I just don't see it happening. IMO, Daunte has given every possible sign that he wants out since the injury.

I know I wouldn't feel as sick as Redskin fan Giving up their First Round pick for BJ and then watching BJ back on the same team years later with one of the best players from that draft...but giving Pep up for a Second rounder would be STUPID!!

singersp
01-22-2006, 10:08 PM
"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:

I dont remember where I read this but I read the Cardnials are willing to give up the 10th pick in the draft and Adrian Wilson for Daunte. It also said they might swing something where they could get rid of smoot and sign b-will.

This is what you read;

"Worth pondering: Quarterback Daunte Culpepper and the Vikings' second-round draft pick to Dennis Green's Cardinals for Arizona's No. 10 overall pick and safety Adrian Wilson. The Vikings could also package controversial cornerback Fred Smoot with Culpepper in a deal, allowing them to re-sign free agent cornerback Brian Williams."

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/special_packages/columnists/13685749.htm

It says nothing about that the Cardinals willing to give up anything.

It's some guy just tossing in his 2 cents worth & idea.

Tanner_QBRB8
01-22-2006, 10:13 PM
IF Daunte leaves we are royaly screwed man we are not gunna be ready for the future becasue i dont think that Brad has that much left in the tank and i dont want to rely on JT oSullivan or Shaun Hill we had better get a kick ass QB if Daunte leaves

nephilimstorm
01-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Wow, id love to find that article and read that..please post the link if you find it again

V4L
01-22-2006, 11:03 PM
When I hear someone come from the Vikes and say he is being shopped around i'll believe i t

ultravikingfan
01-22-2006, 11:17 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

When I hear someone come from the Vikes and say he is being shopped around i'll believe i t

Exactly.

Everything else is opinion.

SharperVikings
01-22-2006, 11:17 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Yep I agree!

PurpleManiac
01-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Of course I don't want Daunte traded..but if he does I hope we trade him to the Texans for David Carr and Dominic Davis. Texans can then still draft Reggie Bush....we get a future star in Carr and Davis is pretty solid running the ball.

heck we can package Davis and w/e to get more picks or what not...going too far there eh.

olson_10
01-22-2006, 11:57 PM
i really like carr too, i wouldnt mind that deal because we would really address two needs in a deal like that with the texans, include our first pick for theirs and see if they bite on that..but carr is an exceptional talent, but hes looked awful becuase of the god awful offensive line that was in front of him the last couple of years..hes got quick feet and some scrambling ability and a monster arm..behind a good line he would get the chance to finally develop into a franchise QB

BBQ Platypus
01-22-2006, 11:57 PM
"PurpleManiac" wrote:

Of course I don't want Daunte traded..but if he does I hope we trade him to the Texans for David Carr and Dominic Davis. Texans can then still draft Reggie Bush....we get a future star in Carr and Davis is pretty solid running the ball.

heck we can package Davis and w/e to get more picks or what not...going too far there eh.But we aren't. We're not going to get anything CLOSE to what he's worth. If we trade Daunte, it'll be Randy times 100,000. It is NOT a good idea to trade your franchise receiver and quarterback in the space of two years if you're trying to build toward a championship.

Prophet
01-22-2006, 11:59 PM
March 3 is just around the corner. We will have to wait for a lot of dust to settle before we know the status for next season.

PurpleManiac
01-23-2006, 12:01 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

i really like carr too, i wouldnt mind that deal because we would really address two needs in a deal like that with the texans, include our first pick for theirs and see if they bite on that..but carr is an exceptional talent, but hes looked awful becuase of the god awful offensive line that was in front of him the last couple of years..hes got quick feet and some scrambling ability and a monster arm..behind a good line he would get the chance to finally develop into a franchise QB

They will not give up their first rounder for Daunte, there is no way...that's okay though. We get Carr and Davis, package Davis for a 2nd rounder. Then draft LenDale White with our first rounder, Thomas Howard and Greg Blue with our two seconds. =D

olson_10
01-23-2006, 12:01 AM
daunte culpepper for ray lewis and ed reed, straight up

BBQ Platypus
01-23-2006, 12:03 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

daunte culpepper for ray lewis and ed reed, straight upThrow in Todd Heap AND Terrell Suggs and I'll THINK about it.

PurpleManiac
01-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Ray Lewis is only a shell of his former self. Ed Reed, although mighty impressive and still the top safety (IMO) is not enough for Daunte.

jimmymac
01-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Culpepper for Ricky Williams straight across.

cc21
01-23-2006, 12:32 AM
"PurpleManiac" wrote:

Ray Lewis is only a shell of his former self. Ed Reed, although mighty impressive and still the top safety (IMO) is not enough for Daunte.Ray Lewis still gets like 150 plus tackles a year. He is still the best linebacker in the NFL. And he brings so much leadership and intensity it is just crazy.

gregair13
01-23-2006, 12:35 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

daunte culpepper for ray lewis and ed reed, straight up
i did that once in madden

LunchBox
01-23-2006, 01:12 AM
Well, he's always been a jerk. My roomate saw him at the mall of america about 3 years ago. She was waiting in line in some store and he walked in, grabbed some stuff and walked to the front of the line and the cashier was like 'sorry, but everyone has to wait in line sir.' and Daunte responded 'do you know who i am?' The cashier said yes, but it wouldn't be fair to the other customers and he dropped the stuff on the counter and walked out. She couldn't believe what jerk he was or how sexy he is in person. Neither comment made me like him much.

Mr. Purple
01-23-2006, 01:20 AM
This is all being handled just like the Moss trade. Noone really beleived we would trade him and that it was all JUST rumor...then on that tragic day. Rumors have to start somewhere, not saying its true or not. I just watched Beyond the Glory on Duante. I really would hate to see him go.

VikingsTw
01-23-2006, 01:23 AM
"LunchBox" wrote:

Well, he's always been a jerk. My roomate saw him at the mall of america about 3 years ago. She was waiting in line in some store and he walked in, grabbed some stuff and walked to the front of the line and the cashier was like 'sorry, but everyone has to wait in line sir.' and Daunte responded 'do you know who i am?' The cashier said yes, but it wouldn't be fair to the other customers and he dropped the stuff on the counter and walked out. She couldn't believe what jerk he was or how sexy he is in person. Neither comment made me like him much.

Thats intristing, i can't see daunte doing that but if he did he did. I also couldn't see daunte on a boat with strippers when he has a wife and kids at home. Maybe theres alot we don't know about daunte.

VikingsTw
01-23-2006, 01:26 AM

This is all being handled just like the Moss trade. Noone really beleived we would trade him and that it was all JUST rumor...then on that tragic day. Rumors have to start somewhere, not saying its true or not. I just watched Beyond the Glory on Duante. I really would hate to see him go.

Really, what channell was it on? I would like to see if there is a re-run.

SharperVikings
01-23-2006, 01:26 AM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

Ray Lewis is only a shell of his former self. Ed Reed, although mighty impressive and still the top safety (IMO) is not enough for Daunte.Ray Lewis still gets like 150 plus tackles a year. He is still the best linebacker in the NFL. And he brings so much leadership and intensity it is just crazy.

"gregair13" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

daunte culpepper for ray lewis and ed reed, straight upi did that once in madden

That would be awesome!! :lol: But what I would wonder is what we would do with a qb situation then. Yes we have brad, for at least next year. But we need to start developing a qb! In my opinion, we should really try to trade for matt schaub. He's done good behind vick, and in my opinion, should start, because he is more of a qb! But, they would never start schaub over vick because they pay vick too much money....

Ray Lewis is going to turn 31 in May, and thats younger then our MLB this year... Culpepper will be turning 29 in 6 days.... Ed reed is amazing... I would definetly do it...

Then what would you do to get a young qb..? Would you possibly trade a wr to atlanta for schaub?? Please give your thoughts on this scenario!

Mr. Purple
01-23-2006, 01:42 AM
It was on the sunshine channel (florida) cuz he went to UCF. But i've seen it on other channells before.

COJOMAY
01-23-2006, 01:47 AM
HOMERS!!!!

That's what we all are. I posted the bit about maybe getting a second round trade for Culpepper. And honestly, that may be the best we can get. You people who think we can get someone like Ray Lewis or trade up for one of the top three choices in the draft with Culpepper are whistling "Dixie." You truly are "Homers."
Yup, Culpepper WAS good. He made be good again but I don't ever see him like he was before. He's a long pass/play action passer but makes a ton of bad decisions and has trouble holding onto the ball. Now he's VERY badly injured. He may never recover from this setback. And you want a first round high draft choice for him or someone like Ray Lewis.
Put yourself in the other team's place. Quit being such "Homers" and be realistic about the situation.
I guess I'd rather keep Culpepper and hope he shows some good stuff, then he would be worth something to us and to other teams. But from the sounds of it Culpepper doesn't want to be with the Vikes for whatever reason (Although I think Ned hit it on the head).
Well, you get what you can for him. Forget the past and be realistic. He's damaged goods and may only be a shell of his former self. And there are some good, upcoming QB's in the draft that aren't going to be drafted in the top 5.

mogwai
01-23-2006, 01:54 AM
the dolphins gave the eagles a 2nd round pick for aj feeley.if you think the vikes wouldn't get at least a first round pick you are crazy..p.s. ray lewis is a shell of his former self.no thanks

nephilimstorm
01-23-2006, 02:06 AM
I serously hope Wilf is planning to build this team (stadium too) and hopefully C-Pep and the bullcrap can stop hes making enough money and hes garanteed 6 million in febuary. Give me a break if C pep wants out then we need a alot of draft picks for him even if its not his worth. Mainly, he is a franchise quaterback...and Wilf has expressed interest in free agent HB Shaun Alexander so my guess is if we trade Culpepper its gonna be for a bunch of picks as the Hershel Walker trade 1989 that happened... There is no way Wilf is gonna let him go for nothing and it will be the next blockbuster trade the NFL has seen since 1989....at least all of us can hope so.

hovan
01-23-2006, 02:12 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

HOMERS!!!!

That's what we all are. I posted the bit about maybe getting a second round trade for Culpepper. And honestly, that may be the best we can get. You people who think we can get someone like Ray Lewis or trade up for one of the top three choices in the draft with Culpepper are whistling "Dixie." You truly are "Homers."
Yup, Culpepper WAS good. He made be good again but I don't ever see him like he was before. He's a long pass/play action passer but makes a ton of bad decisions and has trouble holding onto the ball. Now he's VERY badly injured. He may never recover from this setback. And you want a first round high draft choice for him or someone like Ray Lewis.
Put yourself in the other team's place. Quit being such "Homers" and be realistic about the situation.
I guess I'd rather keep Culpepper and hope he shows some good stuff, then he would be worth something to us and to other teams. But from the sounds of it Culpepper doesn't want to be with the Vikes for whatever reason (Although I think Ned hit it on the head).
Well, you get what you can for him. Forget the past and be realistic. He's damaged goods and may only be a shell of his former self. And there are some good, upcoming QB's in the draft that aren't going to be drafted in the top 5.

Than Pep stays...work him back into rotation once the LINE is shored up and then Trade him Next year...or let him Holdout.

LuckyVike
01-23-2006, 02:21 AM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

Which is exactly why the Ravens wouldn't even think about trading Lewis. It's also an extreme long shot to think they'd trade Ed Reed, the Defensive Player of the Year last season, for a scrambling QB that suffered a serious injury to his knee.

ejmat
01-23-2006, 02:27 AM
I don't know how many times I have to say it. The Vikings will not get someone like Ray Lewis for Pep. Everyone is unaware of what the future brings for this guy. He's 6'5" 165 lbs. Strong knees are needed. No one even knows if Pep has the heart to come back from this type of injury. Be happy if we can land Dansby and a decent OL for him. We may not even have a chance to get anything for him. He may have to be cut because this guy has put us in a very bad predicament. Do we pay him his bonus and then trade him? I think not. That would be dumb. Do we cut him? It may be the only logical answer. ZTherefore if you can work out a trade for someone like Dansby take it in a heartbeat. Maybe even Ricky Williams at this point. Realistically we will not get a superstar for Pep. If we do, I will be amazed.

RK.
01-23-2006, 02:28 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

HOMERS!!!!

I think you are right about Peps worth. He is just one shot in the knee from retirement. Not many teams are going to give up a lot for that. I also think that the reason he seems to have become a head case is because he knows that he will not be able to run the WC offense and he doesn't want to have to compete with BJ for the starting duties. In terms of trading him I don't think Childress wants him to compete for starting duties and not make it. If they are going to trade him I think it will be sooner than later. The fact that Pep isn't coming out with a statement says to me he sees the handwriting on the wall and wants to go while he still has some value.

Prophet
01-23-2006, 02:44 AM
"RK." wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

HOMERS!!!!

I think you are right about Peps worth. He is just one shot in the knee from retirement. Not many teams are going to give up a lot for that. I also think that the reason he seems to have become a head case is because he knows that he will not be able to run the WC offense and he doesn't want to have to compete with BJ for the starting duties. In terms of trading him I don't think Childress wants him to compete for starting duties and not make it. If they are going to trade him I think it will be sooner than later. The fact that Pep isn't coming out with a statement says to me he sees the handwriting on the wall and wants to go while he still has some value.

Good points.

The reason we have a couple dozen threads about the situation is because of the uncanny silence before the storm. Will the silence be broken before the free agency market begins in early March? I would think something would have to leak soon.

I am confident that Zygi, Childress and the boys will do the right thing. I have no problem with most of the scenarios that have been discussed. Ned is probably right on with the family issues for Culpepper and Cojomay and RK have some good points regarding the overall situation.

You never know what the trade value will be for Culpepper. People have bought plenty of has-beens or people circling the drain for exorbitant prices in the past and some panned out and others didn't.

If the Vikings end up dealing Culpepper it will either be for a reasonable deal or for a marginal deal due to him not wanting to be here. We will find out soon enough.

I'm thankful that we have Brad Johnson under contract and that there are some young stud QBs in the mix. The worse case scenerio for a field general doesn't appear to be that bad to me.

This offseason will be fun. It's comforting to know that the leadership of the franchise is striving toward excellence. What more could we ask for? It has been too long since the franchise has put a concerted effort into building an elite franchise. I am extremely excited about the future of the Vikings, more than I have been in a few decades.

RK.
01-23-2006, 02:49 AM
This offseason will be fun. It's comforting to know that the leadership of the franchise is striving toward excellence. What more could we ask for? It has been too long since the franchise has put a concerted effort into building an elite franchise. I am extremely excited about the future of the Vikings, more than I have been in a few decades.

I will agree with that Prophet. Wilf is looking for a winning combination. I think he will find it. :wink:

dfwvike
01-23-2006, 03:04 AM
Culpepper has over played his cards. At this point we are either going to get a better than expected deal in a bidding war or Culpepper is going to get cut loose right before the 6 million is due.

At that point he is going to get a fraction of what his current deal is. The bad knee becomes leverage against him on the open market. He should have been a team player until after he got the 6 million.

And Childress can use his cap money to pick up his old mate from Philly - Jon Runyon.

Ltrey33
01-23-2006, 03:05 AM
"RK." wrote:

I will agree with that Prophet. Wilf is looking for a winning combination. I think he will find it. :wink:

I hope you guys are right. I don't quite share your optimism though. I'm optimistic about the new staff and Zygi, but I really think there is too much uncertainty right now. Think about it: two quarterbacks who both want out and have little trade value. Koren Robinson and Nate Burleson might be gone. A quagmire at running back with an underachiever (Bennett) becoming a free agent, an injury prone starter (backup? no one knows what he is) in MeMo and our most talented RB (Smith) is a pot smoker who just had his 3rd strike on the NFLs drug policy. Put those things in line with an offensive line that was like swiss cheese at times this year and it doesn't look like a very promising year. Also, no one knows how this defense that was built to run a standard 4-3 will run the cover 2. I think for once the organization has the right people, but the team is misfit. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm scared for this upcoming year/offseason.

Prophet
01-23-2006, 03:24 AM
"ltrey33" wrote:

I hope you guys are right. I don't quite share your optimism though. I'm optimistic about the new staff and Zygi, but I really think there is too much uncertainty right now. Think about it: two quarterbacks who both want out and have little trade value. Koren Robinson and Nate Burleson might be gone. A quagmire at running back with an underachiever (Bennett) becoming a free agent, an injury prone starter (backup? no one knows what he is) in MeMo and our most talented RB (Smith) is a pot smoker who just had his 3rd strike on the NFLs drug policy. Put those things in line with an offensive line that was like swiss cheese at times this year and it doesn't look like a very promising year. Also, no one knows how this defense that was built to run a standard 4-3 will run the cover 2. I think for once the organization has the right people, but the team is misfit. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm scared for this upcoming year/offseason.

Cautiously optimistic, not blindly optimistic. The way I look at it the Vikings finally are putting together a coaching staff that isn't based on the minimum wage rule. There are a lot of question marks in the mix, I have to agree with that.

Many of us agree that the weaknesses are in the O-line, RB situation, and the linebackers. Sure, there are other needs but these appear to be the big three. Personally, I think some of these problems are even a bit overrated due to the pathetic coaching situation the Vikings have had in recent years.

The O-line will be addresssed. One of the first sentences out of Childress' mouth was saying that the O and D lines were the starting point. That will be addressed.

The RB situation is very questionable. Onterrio Smith could possibly be an above average back, but is an obvious risk. MeMo is average at best. Bennett is average to below-average unless he is used correctly. I don't know much about Fason, but don't see much there. There is a possibility of picking up a bruiser in FA.

The Vikings have a very servicable WR corps. I don't see any of them as being in the elite category. They are all replacable IMO. There are plenty of WRs that could play in a well designed system.

The defense will be fine. The transition will not be only a cover 2, it will be made to suit the personnel that will make up the final 53 when the '06 season starts.

The QB situation is nerve-racking at the moment. So what. It adds excitement to the offseason. Culpepper comes back or he doesn't come back. Brad Johnson comes back or he doesn't come back. I'm willing to bet that at least one of them will still be on the team for the opening kickoff. If Culpepper walks, BJ starts. If BJ walks, a veteran will be signed and a young stud will be on the radar during the draft or free agency. It will all work out.

Childress claims that he will design the system based on the personnel on the field. I believe him. Maybe I'm just ignorant, a myopic homer, or an idiot. Does not matter to me. I believe we will be fine and it will all be sorted out. The Vikings will be back on course in the not too distant future. There is reason to believe now. Imagine this situation if Tice was still coach and Redneck was still the owner. I cringe just thinking about it.

All is well in Lake Wobegon. Don't let the press tell you otherwise.

COJOMAY
01-23-2006, 03:48 AM
Think about it: two quarterbacks who both want out and have little trade value.

Who has said that BJ wants out of the Vikings? He simply says he wants to be a starter and he will be, even if CPep comes back because Cpep won't be ready to go early in the season. And BJ's value is huge right now after his season.
I see it panning out like this. CPep is dumped for a few draft choices. We pick up a QB in the draft to learn under the leadership of BJ but FIRST we fix the O-Line and the linebacker problems.

BBQ Platypus
01-23-2006, 03:52 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Think about it two quarterbacks who both want out and have little trade value.

Who has said that BJ wants out of the Vikings? He simply says he wants to be a starter and he will be, even if CPep comes back because Cpep won't be ready to go early in the season. And BJ's value is huge right now after his season.
I see it panning out like this. CPep is dumped for a few draft choices. We pick up a QB in the draft to learn under the leadership of BJ but FIRST we fix the O-Line and the linebacker problems.We won't even get a few draft picks out of DC. We'll get ONE second-day pick, at best. It's not worth getting rid of him. I say we increase his performance bonuses. That way, we pay him more, but ONLY if he's the old Pep.

muchluv4smoot
01-23-2006, 03:59 AM
"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

I see it panning out like this. CPep is dumped for a few draft choices. We pick up a QB in the draft to learn under the leadership of BJ but FIRST we fix the O-Line and the linebacker problems.We won't even get a few draft picks out of DC. We'll get ONE second-day pick, at best. It's not worth getting rid of him. I say we increase his performance bonuses. That way, we pay him more, but ONLY if he's the old Pep.

The problem with keeping Daunte lies in his contract. Keeping him is gonna cost us $6 million, for a QB that will be sitting on the bench for the start of the season at the minimum. I could see Brad starting the season when Daunte is hurt and doing well, so Childress would keep him in as the starter for the whole season, which we know would bring us more turmoil from a disgruntled Daunte. Childress saw first hand last season, what kind of a team killer it can be, to have a disgruntled player in the lockeroom, and I don't think he wants that here. On top of all this, Daunte's agent is asking for a new contract and more money?

I just think we pretty much have no choice but to get whatever we can now, and move on. Sure, we arent gonna get value for him, but we may need to take what we can get, or run into trouble down the road, if we keeping him, and end up $6 million more in the hole on top of it.

vikeswin2005
01-23-2006, 03:59 AM
"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

I see it panning out like this. CPep is dumped for a few draft choices. We pick up a QB in the draft to learn under the leadership of BJ but FIRST we fix the O-Line and the linebacker problems.We won't even get a few draft picks out of DC. We'll get ONE second-day pick, at best. It's not worth getting rid of him. I say we increase his performance bonuses. That way, we pay him more, but ONLY if he's the old Pep.if he would agree to that it would be good but that is as likely to happen as us getting several draft picks or a stud player

COJOMAY
01-23-2006, 04:01 AM
Keeping him will coast us an additonal $2 million in cap money. Plus the cost of his contract! I think it's money that can be spent better elsewhere.

SharperVikings
01-23-2006, 04:07 AM
IMO, it depends on what we can get for him. Now, if we can get an ed reed or something like that...lets do it...I'd even do it for a high 1st rounder plus a d stud! :lol: ....Maybe we can pull a trade out of our a$$ or something for a young, developed qb...

Anyone think they know how much longer brad has??

VikingsTw
01-23-2006, 04:11 AM
This ed reed/ray lewis talk is driving me up the wall. The chances of us getting a all pro defensive player for culpepper is highly unlikely, we couldn't even get one for moss and he didn't shred his knee. Think about it guys. Draft pics, possibly but not proven players. Especailly defensive players.

NEVER TAKE AWAY FROM DEFENSE TO GIVE TO OFFENSE.

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

muchluv4smoot
01-23-2006, 04:13 AM
"SharperVikings" wrote:

IMO, it depends on what we can get for him. Now, if we can get an ed reed or something like that...lets do it...I'd even do it for a high 1st rounder plus a d stud! :lol: ....Maybe we can pull a trade out of our a$$ or something for a young, developed qb...

So if we don't get enough for him, you would keep him and pay him his $6 million bonus to sit on the bench for the start of the season and possibly the whole season? Lets not forget that he wants a new contract and more money on top of that, or he will probably be asking for a trade anyways.

It sucks, but I just think we are stuck with trading him for whatever we can get and moving on. Hopefully we can find 2 teams like arizona and miami that want him bad enough to get into a bidding war, and maybe we could get a 1st rounder for him, or a good player, but even that isn't very realistic.

muchluv4smoot
01-23-2006, 04:15 AM
"vikingstw" wrote:

This ed reed/ray lewis talk is driving me up the wall. The chances of us getting a all pro defensive player for culpepper is highly unlikely, we couldn't even get one for moss and he didn't shred his knee. Think about it guys. Draft pics, possibly but not proven players. Especailly defensive players.

NEVER TAKE AWAY FROM DEFENSE TO GIVE TO OFFENSE.

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Yeah, I am thinking an early/mid 2nd rounder and a 4th or 5th rounder is probably the best we can hope for, and that may be asking for too much, with his knee problems.

hovan
01-23-2006, 04:26 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"SharperVikings" wrote:

So if we don't get enough for him, you would keep him and pay him his $6 million bonus to sit on the bench for the start of the season and possibly the whole season? Lets not forget that he wants a new contract and more money on top of that, or he will probably be asking for a trade anyways.

It sucks, but I just think we are stuck with trading him for whatever we can get and moving on. Hopefully we can find 2 teams like arizona and miami that want him bad enough to get into a bidding war, and maybe we could get a 1st rounder for him, or a good player, but even that isn't very realistic.

He can want a SUPERBOWL RING in his new contract...but unless the Vikes agree he has to abide by the current contract or else Hold out. If he is traded, it must be for number one pick for me not to have another Moss/Ulcer.

VikingsTw
01-23-2006, 04:28 AM
This is funny, a post from a cardinal fan on culpepper possibly being traded to arizona. Looks like they there not to crazy about it.

Looks like he wants out of MN. Does Denny want to reunite with DC???

yes, I think it would be fantastic if they brought in DC. Having QB that has a shredded knee and wont be available till mid season most likely is a hot commodity these days, especially with Warner leading one of the best passing attacks in the league

muchluv4smoot
01-23-2006, 04:30 AM
"hovan" wrote:

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"SharperVikings" wrote:

He can want a SUPERBOWL RING in his new contract...but unless the Vikes agree he has to abide by the current contract or else Hold out. If he is traded, it must be for number one pick for me not to have another Moss/Ulcer.

Like I said before, Childress has seen first hand what a disgruntled player can do to a football team, so I just don't see him keeping daunte and risking another TO/Phily meltdown, that could ruin this teams chances next year. I think he will probably take what he can get and move on. Sure that is gonna make a lot of vikings fans mad, but you have to look at the big picture, not just what Daunte has done in the past and what a healthy Daunte is worth. We're gonna get the raw end of another trade, that is forsure, but it may still be the best for the team, compared to keeping him, paying him $6 million and risking chemistry troubles.

Mr. Purple
01-23-2006, 04:35 AM
I would rather Daunte ride the pine next year then to trade him away for a second round pick.

VikingsTw
01-23-2006, 04:36 AM
Won't we take a nasty cap hit for trading culpepper?

ItalianStallion
01-23-2006, 04:38 AM

I would rather Daunte ride the pine next year then to trade him away for a second round pick.

No kidding, he has insanely more value than that if he is healthy. If he is a problem, bench him, deactivate him or whatever, but no sense in giving him away for almost nothing.

jaymz7
01-23-2006, 04:42 AM
You all are missing one more main issue as to why DC will still be here next year. What is the main reason the rumers have came up? What is DC saying he wants? He hasn't said he wants to be traded yet he has just said he wants more money. He is in a ten year 102 million contract. He is due a six million bonus this year. So any team that wants to trade for him would have to take on his contract and his request for more money.

I know I will hear "thats what he is saying to get the Vikings to trade him" but seriously think about it if you were one of the teams that want him and you are willing to take him without knowing how well of if he will be back and will have to pay his salary and bonus thats one thing, but those teams are also hearing him say he wants more cash. How do they know if his wive doesn't want him in Minn. or if he just wants a freash start? They don't because he hasn't said anything, but "I want more money". This would mean they would have to pay him what he wants too.

Given that I doubt many teams will give up very much of anything or willing to take on a QB that may not play again at the level he once did that is already demanding more money.

I say he and Brad Johnson are both under contract so you give him what you agreed to this year for the bonus and tell him to get to practice. He can compete against BJ and if he is ready then the job is his. If not then you go with BJ and let DC have the time to fully heal and show he can play again. If he sits out crying for more money or if he sits because his knee isn't ready you are paying him the same so what would Wilf care.

If DC does recover and the coaches will know if he is back to form then you sit down and discuss possibly redoing his contract next year or trade him because the other teams would know he is ready. Right know he couldn't even pass a physical which is usually a requirement to a trade.

Keep him and see what is out there in the draft. pick up a third QB that would fit the WCO and get him either through FA or the later rounds of the draft. Joe Montana, Brad Johnson, and other very good QB's have came in the later rounds. If they have the potential the coaches will see it in the first year. He can learn the system and if DC doesn't return to form or if he still wants more cash and the Vikes don't want to pay it then they have their QB. If the new QB isn't going to cut it or isn't ready you give BJ another year to start.

muchluv4smoot
01-23-2006, 04:42 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

No kidding, he has insanely more value than that if he is healthy. If he is a problem, bench him, deactivate him or whatever, but no sense in giving him away for almost nothing.

Like TO in Phily last year? I just don't see Childress willing to go through that again, after what he saw happen to Phily's team, with an unhappy star player.

ItalianStallion
01-23-2006, 04:48 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Like TO in Phily last year? I just don't see Childress willing to go through that again, after what he saw happen to Phily's team, with an unhappy star player.

First of all I doubt Culpepper's attitude and conduct will pose as much of a problem to lockerroom chemistry as TO's did. Secondly I doubt that Childress would let it escalate to the same level as TO did last year. Finally I don't think the rest of the league views Culpepper as a lockerroom cancer, unlike TO.

collegeguyjeff
01-23-2006, 04:51 AM
espn is stupid they don't have a clue. but peppers roster bonus is on march 13th, and the way the contract is set up that gives the vikings time to trade him without paying him that roster bonus. free agency i believe starts on march 3rd; when trades start i don't know but maybe we need a fresh start too? i mean he has been here since 99 and we havn't gone anywhere and we have a new coaching staff realistically we won't win the bowl for a few years and then pepper is just that much older when we can rely on johnson for another year and develop a young quarterback and now might be the best time to do that.

i have heard arizona, baltimore, oakland and miami is intrested. i wouldn't be suprised if a few more teams were too like maybe tennessee, cleveland even though they have faith in charlie fry. oh and don't forget the jets; so i personally think there could be a lot of value, especially if there is atleast 4 teams involved, heck maybe we could get 2 first rounders and a starter; and i heard ray lewis is on the trading block too.

GreenBaySlackers
01-23-2006, 04:53 AM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

espn is stupid they don't have a clue. but peppers roster bonus is on march 13th, and the way the contract is set up that gives the vikings time to trade him without paying him that roster bonus. free agency i believe starts on march 3rd; when trades start i don't know but maybe we need a fresh start too? i mean he has been here since 99 and we havn't gone anywhere and we have a new coaching staff realistically we won't win the bowl for a few years and then pepper is just that much older when we can rely on johnson for another year and develop a young quarterback and now might be the best time to do that.

my birthday :grin:

SWAYZE74
01-23-2006, 04:57 AM

i agree with your post...however...he obviously knew what was gonna happen on the boat...or what could happen atleast...his wife aint gonna be too cool with that...unless she's a SWINGER, BABY...

imo...if DC has that much shame about coming back to minny...he musta been up to no good...otherwise fight the charges DC...if your so innoncent...now granted, i like DC, but other then a couple of good seasons, he seems to have fumble-itis and a bad case of the the picks...
im not sure what we could get for him trade wise, but if it aint there let him ride the pine in minny and watch brad do his thing...

peace...

muchluv4smoot
01-23-2006, 04:57 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

First of all I doubt Culpepper's attitude and conduct will pose as much of a problem to lockerroom chemistry as TO's did. Secondly I doubt that Childress would let it escalate to the same level as TO did last year. Finally I don't think the rest of the league views Culpepper as a lockerroom cancer, unlike TO.

Obviously Daunte doesn't have the attitude that TO does. Even so, he can still very easily cause trouble here and Childress won't want to take a chance of that happening IMO. On top of that, why pay a guy $6 million in bonus to sit on the bench and possibly stir up trouble? If we do keep him because we can't get enough, then he could come out at some point and demand to be traded, which means again, we aren't gonna be able to get what we want for him, but will be down a ton of useless money also.

We are stuck unfortunately and will probably end up having to take what we can get.

collegeguyjeff
01-23-2006, 05:00 AM
"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

happy birthday early so i don't forget ha ha

GreenBaySlackers
01-23-2006, 05:11 AM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

happy birthday early so i don't forget ha ha
why thank you... early, so I don't forget :lol:

DaunteHOF
01-23-2006, 05:38 AM
CULPEPPER IS STAYING HERE!!!

VikingsTw
01-23-2006, 05:44 AM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

CULPEPPER IS STAYING HERE!!!

Yeaaaaaaaaahhhh i remember when i used to say...

MOSS IS STAYING HERE!!!

olson_10
01-23-2006, 05:45 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

HOMERS!!!!

there is a very specific reason why i brought up ray lewis..billick will have interest in pep because they arent quite sold on kyle boller, and they dont want to throw a ton of money at a guy who is unproven..they are a franchise QB away from being among the elite teams in the nfl..i thought about this first before blabbing it out, so dont think about calling me a homer..a deal like that with a couple other little things involved makes perfect sense..think or do some kind of research before blabbing out crap like that

olson_10
01-23-2006, 05:47 AM
"mogwai" wrote:

the dolphins gave the eagles a 2nd round pick for aj feeley.if you think the vikes wouldn't get at least a first round pick you are crazy..p.s. ray lewis is a shell of his former self.no thanks
agreed..the guy who said lewis was a shell of his former self has clearly not seen him play in the past 3 years

cajunvike
01-23-2006, 05:57 AM
It only makes sense to trade him for a similar player in a similar situation...meaning that we should look for a player who is underachieving or has also been injured and will be rehabbing for next year...that way, the gamble is the same for both teams...the only difference is that both teams are gambling on a player that plays a different position, a position that they have a greater need for. Examples would be us trading Pep to Miami for potential problem child and superfluous RB Ricky Williams (they really need a QB, while we really need a feature back), us trading Pep to Baltimore for an aging, but still effective Ray Lewis (they really need a QB, while we really need a stud MLB)...the hypothetical trades put forth in my examples would serve to potentially improve both teams while eliminating bad blood issues that could arise between these players and the players that have been replacing them due to injury or otherwise as regards playing time.

ultravikingfan
01-23-2006, 06:01 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

"mogwai" wrote:

agreed..the guy who said lewis was a shell of his former self has clearly not seen him play in the past 3 years

I guess you saw all 6 of the games he played this year?

He is not the same Ray Lewis as he used to be.

alberta_vike
01-23-2006, 06:53 AM
Interesting Trade (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/13685749.htm)

If you scroll down on that link, you'll see an interesting trade idea. Sending Culpepper, our 2nd round pick, and possibly Fred Smoot to Arizona in exchange for their #10 pick and SS Adrian Wilson. If we did this we would re-sign Brian Williams to be our other starting corner opposite Winfield. This is a trade that I would jump all over, however I can't see the Cardinals giving up that much. Anyways, if we had the #10 and #17 pick in the draft we could possibly trade up to get Leinart or Young, or just get two great players with those picks.

collegeguyjeff
01-23-2006, 07:23 AM
"alberta_vike" wrote:

Interesting Trade (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/13685749.htm)

If you scroll down on that link, you'll see an interesting trade idea. Sending Culpepper, our 2nd round pick, and possibly Fred Smoot to Arizona in exchange for their #10 pick and SS Adrian Wilson. If we did this we would re-sign Brian Williams to be our other starting corner opposite Winfield. This is a trade that I would jump all over, however I can't see the Cardinals giving up that much. Anyways, if we had the #10 and #17 pick in the draft we could possibly trade up to get Leinart or Young, or just get two great players with those picks.

get leinart or young? hmm not sure about that i doubt the jets or tennessee are williing to trade out of their spots when they want a quarterback so bad; i think they are the ones to trade culpepper to if we trade him. however i think we should trade culpepper now or never they need to make up their minds.

agter reading that article about pepper to arizona it makes me think that the media just made up some wet dream fantasy of theirs; and if it happend they would say see i told ya so.

snowinapril
01-23-2006, 07:50 AM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

Well let's trade him for Ray Lewis than. I'm all for that I guess.

And Jamal and Reed.

NeoVikesTX
01-23-2006, 08:08 AM
I think we will trade Culpepper to Oakland for Moss straight up! It's gonna happen!

snowinapril
01-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Fuck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck!!!!

I had 3 hours of sleep last night, drove 3 hours, did some business, drove 1 hour, had my keys locked in my car, got the doors open an hour later, drove 2 more hours home, missed all the games today, only to come home to these rumors that I admittingly don't want to admit are possibly true.

Fuck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck!!!!

I felt like I got............................................................
Fuck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck!!!! last year in the Moss trade by RED and now, DC wants out.

iluvbigtds
01-23-2006, 08:37 AM
"alberta_vike" wrote:

You and me both buddy. I really don't like trading the 2nd rounder though because we could get Schaub with that. Everyone's all pi**ed because we're gonna trade Pep, or shop him or whatever. But maybe, just maybe, could management be right? I mean, they know the most about the situation, as opposed to us rubes on some chat room. If anyone knows if Daunte is going to be good enough to lead this new look team, its our front office.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna speculate on trade rumors and make some of my own up all I want because I got that kind of time and nothing else to do.

Del Rio
01-23-2006, 02:53 PM
"alberta_vike" wrote:

I don't think you will be able to resign B-Will, that bridge has been burned. I wouldn't want to give hims a Smoot size contract. That's what it would take.

Everyone just needs to relax and wait for some facts to pan out. I mean don't kill yourself over this. Even if the guy does get traded it's not the end of the world. It's just the begining.

SharperVikings
01-23-2006, 04:40 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Agree totally! I doubt culpepper would escalate it that high, and I doubt childress will let it happen again, because he's got experience with it now. Keep him, and if he still wants out after next year...at least he's healthy and we will get better offers for him!

NodakPaul
01-23-2006, 05:00 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

F!!ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck!!!!

Took the words right out of my mouth. I do't want DC to go. There is no way we would get what he is worth if he does get traded. And then we would be left with BJ as the starting QB. If that is the case, I would predict an 8-8 season (if we are lucky).

alberta_vike
01-23-2006, 05:33 PM
I don't think you will be able to resign B-Will, that bridge has been burned. I wouldn't want to give hims a Smoot size contract. That's what it would take.

Everyone just needs to relax and wait for some facts to pan out. I mean don't kill yourself over this. Even if the guy does get traded it's not the end of the world. It's just the begining.

I'm not sure if we would be able to re-sign Williams or not. That's still a trade I would take, although I'm sure Arizona would not go for it. I really hope Culpepper stays actually, but only if he wants to be here. Oterwise, we need to get what we can and hope Brad or someone else can take over.

mfenlon
01-23-2006, 05:42 PM
I say "Piece out Pep."
We need to make the move now..
We all saw how good he did when
he was supposted to be "the man"!!

jordy
01-23-2006, 06:26 PM
man,how in the hell are you going to let 2 extremly good football players go in 2 year?? the vikes would be killing themselves...there are not a lot of player in this leage right now that have what c-pep has....thing about it...he has it al, letting him go would be so stupid because you are not going to get a guy like this back....
who would be our qb next year? i don't know but i don't like the idea of having BJ as are starter next year, he get's all the credit but i say the turnaround was all by the defence and he had a share in that....who can you possibly get back for a player as daunte that sucked pretty much last year, but are you going to trow away peyton manning after af bad season??

IfNotMeThenWho7
01-23-2006, 06:46 PM
i dont c how any of those players we are suposed to get for culpepper can be as good as he can b

IfNotMeThenWho7
01-23-2006, 06:47 PM
its true culpeppers da man

NodakPaul
01-23-2006, 06:48 PM
i don't know but i don't like the idea of having BJ as are starter next year, he get's all the credit but i say the turnaround was all by the defence and he had a share in that

I agree with you there. I don't like the thought of losing Pep primarily because we don't have a decent QB to fill his role. I am getting a little nervous about Dante if he doesn't want to be in Minnesota. (I am not faulting him though, sometime you just need a change.) If he isn't happy here then he probably won't play as well.

If we do trade him I hope we pick up a rookie or relatively new QB that can sit back and learn the system for a year while BJ tries his best to keep our head above water.

ultravikingfan
01-23-2006, 08:08 PM
How of you get a splitting headache reading all the Pep stuff? I do.

If they are going to trade him (which I doubt) I wish they would just do it so we can get this out of the way and move on to the business of next year.

DCPologirl
01-23-2006, 08:15 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

If they are going to trade him (which I doubt) I wish they would just do it so we can get this out of the way and move on to the business of next year.

I agree .... I am so tired of all of this. It makes my stomach hurt. :cry: I washed my Culpepper jersey the other day and I almost started crying lol

ultravikingfan
01-23-2006, 08:18 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I agree .... I am so tired of all of this. It makes my stomach hurt. :cry: I washed my Culpepper jersey the other day and I almost started crying lol

Unless he is traded, I cannot possibly see the use for another Pep thread to be started; 'tis getting ridiculous.

DCPologirl
01-23-2006, 08:34 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Unless he is traded, I cannot possibly see the use for another Pep thread to be started; 'tis getting ridiculous.

I couldn't agree more I am mostly staying out of all those threads now until I see an article with some concrete evidence of anything!

NordicNed
01-23-2006, 08:39 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I couldn't agree more I am mostly staying out of all those threads now until I see an article with some concrete evidence of anything!

Concrete? Concrete is my buisness, what do you want to know? :lol:

PS: I'll take a dry Martini Shaken Not Stired, ....and could you please deliver it to my room?....

DCPologirl
01-23-2006, 08:40 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Concrete? Concrete is my buisness, what do you want to know? :lol:

PS: I'll take a dry Martini Shaken Not Stired, ....and could you please deliver it to my room?....

*Shakes martini until so cold there are icicle chips in it* Sorry you have to pick it up no delivery :lol:

VIKINGinGEORGIA
01-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Everyone calm down. There is no way we should be trading Daunte Culpepper. So, he had a bad year. Let's be realistic, it's not like our o line was fantastic, in fact they were barely decent. (Especially for 2nd round pick.) Now, if they want to trade the highly overated F. Smoot, I trade him for some magic beans and a catfish head.

hungryboy
01-23-2006, 08:47 PM
I would like to see us trade D C to Miami for Ricky Williams and a first day pick. Then we can go after a OLB in the first round (Chad Greenway) & then Murice Drew out of UCLA in the second round. We have the $$ for free agency

robertsmith
01-23-2006, 08:51 PM
i cant belive people are even mentioning Ray Lewis he is old and overrated now and is becoming a cancer in his own locker room

if anything i say Ed Reed and a 2nd rounder sounds perfect to me even through in Boller give the kid a change of address it may help

stjmnsota
01-23-2006, 09:14 PM
I used to be a CPep Fan. He had a couple of good seasons, then down the crapper. He hasn't been terrible, but hasn't progressed either. He has a lot to learn and maybe changing teams helps him. I think and hope his days are done in MN.

Then the coaching changes going on now. Then I start to think, maybe with new coaches that don't "baby" CPEP, he takes the next step and finishes his career where he should be. Now, he is looking for money he really hasn't proven he deserves. Heck, we don't even know if he will recover from his injury yet.

I am no longer a CPEP fan. He seems like a good guy, but he isn't the answer for the VIKES. If we can get anything decent of a trade for him, I say we take it and really make this a rebuilding era. Many have said, why trade our two best players to rebuild a team that isn't THAT bad? I will tell you why IMO. Because we want more than NOT THAT BAD. The Vikes have not been THAT BAD for a long time. It is time to change the whole system and try something new.

Maybe the VIKES will be THAT BAD for a couple of years, but I am willing to support that so long as they make progress. The Vikes have, for two decades, looked for that missing link to the superbowl with one or two players. They now have a great start to that ONE TEAM to get there. Finish it off with a QB and RB, while building an OLINE and topping off the D. I take another crappy season or two if they can make a real run for a championship. Let's be real, it would have been great to see the Vikes make the playoffs this year, but what were their chances of doing much damage if they had?

Bottom Line, CPEP out, QB (Rivers, etc).

NodakPaul
01-23-2006, 09:28 PM
[b]Maybe the VIKES will be THAT BAD for a couple of years, but I am willing to support that so long as they make progress.[/b[

Hmmmm, what we need is a few bad years so all the season ticket holders with better seats than me don't renew. Then, when the new stadium opens up, I will have choice seats!

OK, just kidding... I would rather keep my current seats and get a superbowl win. But unfortunately I think the next year or so will be rebuilding years...

Big C
01-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Bah, it's time to get Culpepper's head straight. Slap the franchise tag on him and just deal with it. It worked on James, Alexander and Darius this season. Or set the trade value so high that no one will make offers.

He does not deserve anymore money till he can prove that he can play next season. We don't even know if he will be ready for training camp! Force him to play the season, see what he can do, then re-negotiate the contract or ship.

I love Culpepper. It's just time for coach/owner to say STFU and play the damn game. I think Dante's just too used to playing under soft coaching/ownership.

Del Rio
01-23-2006, 09:34 PM
From what I understand he is under contract for a long time. He just wanted to rework it, so we wont be slapping a franchise tag on him.

If he doesn't want to play and we want to hold on to him, he would just be a hold out.

Prophet
01-23-2006, 09:36 PM
I disagree that we're in the rebuilding phase. The team has lacked leadership and now has it at the ownership and coaching levels. They will put together the leaders on the field and everything will gel. The Vikes are only a few positions away from moving deep into the playoffs. The Saints are rebuilding. The Texans are rebuilding. The 49ers are rebuilding. The Vikings are almost built and the cornerstones are being replaced so the foundation will be strong.

Did anyone expect a winning franchise with Redneck as an owner and Tice as HC and a very suspect minimum wage-level coaching staff?

Sure, there are many unknowns in the current coaching staff. So what. At least there is hope when there wasn't before.

ultravikingfan
01-23-2006, 10:04 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

I disagree that we're in the rebuilding phase. The team has lacked leadership and now has it at the ownership and coaching levels. They will put together the leaders on the field and everything will gel. The Vikes are only a few positions away from moving deep into the playoffs. The Saints are rebuilding. The Texans are rebuilding. The 49ers are rebuilding. The Vikings are almost built and the cornerstones are being replaced so the foundation will be strong.

Did anyone expect a winning franchise with Redneck as an owner and Tice as HC and a very suspect minimum wage-level coaching staff?

Sure, there are many unknowns in the current coaching staff. So what. At least there is hope when there wasn't before.

IMO, we are rebuilding. If you do not win the SB you rebuild, just at different levels.

We are rebuilding the coaching staff and I hope we rebuild the O Line somewhat.

Big C
01-23-2006, 10:05 PM
I see. Yeah, we're so close to being a playoff calibre team. It would suck to go through developing a young QB while almost all the other parts of the team are ready.

Oh well, hoping for the best.

Del Rio
01-23-2006, 10:07 PM
I think you rebuild every offseason in the NFL.

Then again to rebuild you are suggesting we have been torn down, I can see what you are saying prophet.

NodakPaul
01-23-2006, 10:23 PM
I disagree that we're in the rebuilding phase... The Vikes are only a few positions away from moving deep into the playoffs.

OK, I can concede that we are not rebuilding the way the 49ers, saints, or Texans are (although can you really call it rebuilding in Houston? They were never built to begin with). I do believe, however, that this year we are reworking more of the underlying structure of the team than we have in the recent past. I am just not as optimistic about the coming season as I was coming in to this one.

I am especially worried about our season if we trade DC. Granted, he is a gamble in the upcoming season (can he learn complex reads of the defense, does he have the patience to be a pocket passer, how will his knee hold up...), but with Pep we are either going to have an incredible quarterback next year or a horrible one. With BJ we are guaranteed mediocrity.

Prophet
01-23-2006, 10:27 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

...but with Pep we are either going to have an incredible quarterback next year or a horrible one. With BJ we are guaranteed mediocrity.

Reminds me of the coaching changes.

PurplePackerEater
01-23-2006, 10:28 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

I disagree that we're in the rebuilding phase... The Vikes are only a few positions away from moving deep into the playoffs.

OK, I can concede that we are not rebuilding the way the 49ers, saints, or Texans are (although can you really call it rebuilding in Houston? They were never built to begin with). I do believe, however, that this year we are reworking more of the underlying structure of the team than we have in the recent past. I am just not as optimistic about the coming season as I was coming in to this one.

I am especially worried about our season if we trade DC. Granted, he is a gamble in the upcoming season (can he learn complex reads of the defense, does he have the patience to be a pocket passer, how will his knee hold up...), but with Pep we are either going to have an incredible quarterback next year or a horrible one. With BJ we are guaranteed mediocrity.

Last year BJ was 7-2, that is NOT mediocrity! Plus, he's won a SB, is that mediocre as well?

ultravikingfan
01-23-2006, 10:31 PM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Last year BJ was 7-2, that is NOT mediocrity! Plus, he's won a SB, is that mediocre as well?

Nope. Just the lucky SOB in the right place at the right time! :wink:

stjmnsota
01-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Brad is not mediocre. He has won where ever he has played. Put him on a great team and they do great, put him on a crap team and they do better.

Talk about being on the right team at the right time, CPEP on a great team and the team does either great or cruddy, put him on a bad team and they are bad.

I will say that the major coaching overhaul that the Vikes have done have been on my wish list for nearly two decades. That may be more of the missing link than we can ever imagine.

Most of the great QBs have never carried their team to championships. They play effective and mediocre/consitent. With the exception of Elway maybe. If anyone carried a team, it may have been John.

Del Rio
01-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Somehow they think by trying to make it sound like Brad sucks that magically it will make Daunte look better, that is the only logic I can find in it.

stjmnsota
01-23-2006, 11:15 PM
yep. I agree. By all means Brad is not explosive, but he is consistant. I can't say I don't want that in a QB. A true team player. And of all the "mediocre" QBs, Brad has to be the best right now. Warner had a few good years but has struggled since, Dilfer, one or two decent years, which brings up a good question. Should the Raven's have dumped him so quickly? Particularly when they really didn't bring in a QB that was no more than mediocre?

cajunvike
01-23-2006, 11:20 PM
"stjmnsota" wrote:

yep. I agree. By all means Brad is not explosive, but he is consistant. I can't say I don't want that in a QB. A true team player. And of all the "mediocre" QBs, Brad has to be the best right now. Warner had a few good years but has struggled since, Dilfer, one or two decent years, which brings up a good question. Should the Raven's have dumped him so quickly? Particularly when they really didn't bring in a QB that was no more than mediocre?

The Ravens totally F'd up when they got rid of Dilfer...it totally imploded their offense...and as we all know, most teams get windows of opportunity that they must take advantage of or the other players get old. B'more screwed the pooch on that one big time!

VikesfaninWis
01-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Bj is a proven winner wherever he ends up. He may not have the style that DPep has, but I will take 4int's to 12 anyday, I will take a QB with a SB ring over one who does not have one anyday of the week. BJ is a perfect, yes PERFECT, QB for the WCO. He gets that ball out so quick, which is perfect to the screen passes in the WCO. Why would anyone say that they would rather take their chances with Pep, than BJ? you can't say that it was because of the D that finished us 7-2, yes they played alot better, but it was Bj that was throwing the TD passes when the D got us the ball back.

Brad Johnson is one of the most accurate QB's in football history, HISTORY, why wouldn't you want that on your team? Age has nothing to do with it, he is still in great shape, has not had a Major Injuries, look at Elway, he won 2 SB's at the tail end of his career. Give me BJ, over Pep, I love Pep, but until he comes out and says that he wnats to remain in Minny, he is nothing but a cry baby wussy in my eyes..

stjmnsota
01-24-2006, 12:08 AM
So are you guys going as far as to say that the VIKES should seriously consider trading CPEP?

joelben
01-24-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm going to have to go out on a limb and say pep doesn't have what it takes to "carry" a team. I think BJ does, and perhaps there are some other QB's out there that would be able to. I think the Wilfs need to look into poss. trading him. Thats my 2 cents.

stjmnsota
01-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Where the hell have you guys been all season when I was the only one saying CPEP needs to go! I've been taking all the crap myself.

Del Rio
01-24-2006, 02:34 PM
"stjmnsota" wrote:

Where the hell have you guys been all season when I was the only one saying CPEP needs to go! I've been taking all the crap myself.

There have been a handfull of people who have been quite skeptical of Culpepper all year, even before the season started. I was one of them, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I wanted him gone. I just wanted him to continue to improve.

singersp
01-24-2006, 02:43 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"stjmnsota" wrote:

There have been a handfull of people who have been quite skeptical of Culpepper all year, even before the season started. I was one of them, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I wanted him gone. I just wanted him to continue to improve.

True that!

I think he's worth the risk. In the very least we could always shop him next year if it doesn't pan out that he can adapt to the WCO.

By that time, he could prove at least he's capable of playing again & his value would go up.

If other teams are showing intrest in him, that tells me they think he's worth the risk.

So why shouldn't we?

renovikesfan
01-24-2006, 02:56 PM
It seems to me that all of this talk of DC being traded/wanting out/wanting more money is a bit premature until we hear from Daunte himself. His silence right now is likely a by-product of the media circus that got started when he was asked about Moss's possible release at the end of last season.

Having said that.....if a trade does happen, I don't think it would be asking too much to request AT LEAST a 1st-rounder for him, considering his recovery has been widely reported as coming along quite nicely. People forget that Daunte is a fast healer and flat-out WARRIOR where pain is concerned. I recall his back injury that he suffered in '04 against the Lions and the majority opinion that he was done for the season. He was only out for a handful of games then came back and continued to light things up. Also, some of you are saying Daunte isn't suited for the WCO.....IIRC, that was the system we were mainly running in '04 where he put up stats that were 2nd best in the entire League.

All he needs is a healthy O-line (mainly Birk), just ONE stud RB that he can rely on, rather than a committee of 3, and for the Defense to continue to improve like it was toward the end of this last season.

If these three factors can be accomplished, all this talk of dumping Daunte will fade away and just be a distant embarrassing memory.

JMO

singersp
01-24-2006, 03:01 PM
With Oaklands cap being at -$30 mil, I say keep DC & bring back Moss!

mr.woo
01-24-2006, 03:18 PM
ive been saying to trade culpep all year why alot of you were defending him now you are saying to trade im. i new that he doesnt have what it takes to carry a team deep into the playoffs. always be a mediocre qb.

Del Rio
01-24-2006, 03:25 PM
*golfclap*

GO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

http://sk1pper.com/attempt_to_impress.bmp

singersp
01-24-2006, 03:26 PM
"mr.woo" wrote:

ive been saying to trade culpep all year why alot of you were defending him now you are saying to trade im. i new that he doesnt have what it takes to carry a team deep into the playoffs. always be a mediocre qb.

A lot of that comes with experience. Brad didn't do it until his 10th year.

There are exceptions, but they're few.

Neither of the Mannings exactly tear it up in the playoffs.

whackthepack
01-24-2006, 06:42 PM
"stjmnsota" wrote:

Because I did and do not believe that he is a bad QB and that he could not lead somebody to the superbowl, I would love to see him come back and be the QB that he was in 2004. But with the way he has handled everything since his injury I have had serious doubts about his desire to be a Viking and the leader of our team!

He has not showed leader ship skills that I would like to see from him, the leader of our team! After the injury he leaves and only comes back for 1 game, which the Vikings kinda forced him to. He is doing his rehab in Florida not in Minnesota, and he was not here supporting his teammates or the organization. Then he gets a new coach and he can not take an hour to meet him and try and get everybody on the same page, instead he tries and gets a raise when he should know he has no chance of redoing his contract at this time.

This sends a message that he wants out, and I can not support somebody that does not want to do whats best for the team, as it's so called leader! So I was not in the camp that wanted C-pep gone, until C-pep made me switch camps!

MnFan_in_Canada
01-24-2006, 06:46 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Because I did and do not believe that he is a bad QB and that he could not lead somebody to the superbowl, I would love to see him come back and be the QB that he was in 2004. But with the way he has handled everything since his injury I have had serious doubts about his desire to be a Viking and the leader of our team!

He has not showed leader ship skills that I would like to see from him, the leader of our team! After the injury he leaves and only comes back for 1 game, which the Vikings kinda forced him to. He is doing his rehab in Florida not in Minnesota, and he was not here supporting his teammates or the organization. Then he gets a new coach and he can not take an hour to meet him and try and get everybody on the same page, instead he tries and gets a raise when he should know he has no chance of redoing his contract at this time.

This sends a message that he wants out, and I can not support somebody that does not want to do whats best for the team, as it's so called leader! So I was not in the camp that wanted C-pep gone, until C-pep made me switch camps!

Very well said. I agree with you 100%.

DogPound
01-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Good Post WhackthePack!!

NordicNed
01-24-2006, 06:52 PM
I still wonder why he won't come out and make a statement about what he does and doesn't want...

Whats for real and what isn't.....

I really thought he had alot more class than what he is showing us now..

That is, unless someone else is calling the shots for him now, and as I stated earlier no one else but a pissed off wife could probably do that..

I still believe, she's calling the shots now, and demanding him to make some changes........

snowinapril
01-24-2006, 06:55 PM
THERE WILL ALWAYS BE CRITICISM of the leader positions on every level of life.

The headlines today are can PLUMMER get it done in Denver.

The guy played his ass off all season long and now he is a ? or a liability.

He proved himself this season. One game where he played sub par doesn't make him a failure. Heck a couple of bad games doesn't make him a washed up QB. Plummer spent his years leading up to this year learning and he finally put it together along with having a great team to play on. And after all, this is a team sport. You can't expect a guy to excel on a crappy team.

IMO, how this applies to the Vikes, is that DC played on a crappy offense this season that didn't start coming into its own until that Carolina game. There were so many rotations and a huge lack of consistancy.

DC can be great player in a good system on a good team.

DCPologirl
01-24-2006, 07:09 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

The guy played his jiggly butt off all season long and now he is a ? or a liability.

He proved himself this season. One game where he played sub par doesn't make him a failure. Heck a couple of bad games doesn't make him a washed up QB. Plummer spent his years leading up to this year learning and he finally put it together along with having a great team to play on. And after all, this is a team sport. You can't expect a guy to excel on a crappy team.

IMO, how this applies to the Vikes, is that DC played on a crappy offense this season that didn't start coming into its own until that Carolina game. There were so many rotations and a huge lack of consistancy.

And this is why I love Snowinapril...the song and the man. Just when I am getting depressed he pops with a thread that makes my heart sing. :adore: :adore:

Del Rio
01-24-2006, 07:14 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

The guy played his jiggly butt off all season long and now he is a ? or a liability.

It's going to take more then one great season for the snake to erase all his bad decisions from the past.

When he gets rushed or when he tries to take the game into his own hands he throws interceptions. It has ALWAYS been his vice. The media knows that. They were waiting ALL year for him to reform to his old habits. The coach had an interview where he said they worked on him not trying to make something happen and he was a changed QB.

The media began to buy into it.

The biggest game of the year for them and what does he do? He turns into Jake the Snake of old. Those int's were bad decisions.

So I think when the question is asked does he have what it takes, it's a good question. He hasn't proven he does. Unless of course the question is does he have what it takes to make the playoffs.

I see Daunte the same way. He fumbles so much turns the ball over so much, that having one great season doesn't fix it. You need sustained production that steadily increases over time. If your production and dependability are all over the charts your going to get those kind of questions.

ultravikingfan
01-24-2006, 07:16 PM
"mr.woo" wrote:

Well geez!

Why didn't you call Wilf and tell him that?

snowinapril
01-24-2006, 07:26 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

It's going to take more then one great season for the snake to erase all his bad decisions from the past.

When he gets rushed or when he tries to take the game into his own hands he throws interceptions. It has ALWAYS been his vice. The media knows that. They were waiting ALL year for him to reform to his old habits. The coach had an interview where he said they worked on him not trying to make something happen and he was a changed QB.

The biggest game of the year for them and what does he do? He turns into Jake the Snake of old. Those int's were bad decisions.

So I think when the question is asked does he have what it takes, it's a good question. He hasn't proven he does. Unless of course the question is does he have what it takes to make the playoffs.

I see Daunte the same way. He fumbles so much turns the ball over so much, that having one great season doesn't fix it. You need sustained production that steadily increases over time. If your production and dependability are all over the charts your going to get those kind of questions.

True he looked like the QB of old!

I wasn't saying that it wasn't necessarily warranted. I am just saying that criticism is there. Manning got the same and look how consistant he has been from year to year during the regular season. Manning got beat by a better TEAM. He got beat by better TEAMS in all of his playoff runs.

Criticism follows the leader, QB is the leader. He will take the blame and the criticism. I am just saying 1 out of 32 QBs will win the SB. The odds are tough just to get there once you add weight to those odds besides. You can't right a playoff game after it has been played. It is one and done. Do you want to add Warner to this team, does that make it better. Do you want to draft a QB, maybe to groom for a few years down the road, but ultimately, they give Plummer another couple of years to get it done. Why kick his ass right now, media????????

Muggsy
01-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Hey, I jus' talked to Benny 'The Rat' in da exercise yard, an' he gave me dis article he smuggled in:
=================================================
Where will Culpepper's future lie?
Will smoke lead to fire in consecutive years for the Vikings?
Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: January 24, 2006 – 10:31 AM

Last year at this time, the NFL was ablaze with trade rumors concerning receiver Randy Moss. Despite vigorous denials from the Vikings, Moss was traded to Oakland in mid-February.

These days, the possibility of another major departure -- this time, quarterback Daunte Culpepper -- has become the talk of the league. While team officials say they have not even hired the person who would play a significant role in the decision, Culpepper's name already has surfaced in Baltimore and Oakland, while some believe St. Louis and Arizona could have interest as well.

Although no trade could officially be consummated until March 3, the Vikings could entertain offers and agree in principal at any time. Although owner Zygi Wilf said last week that Culpepper and backup Brad Johnson would remain on the roster, Culpepper caused ripples in the organization earlier this month by twice seeking a raise on his 2006 contract.

Culpepper is scheduled to get $6 million in bonuses March 14 and, in addition, has a $2 million base salary for the season.

Some of the heaviest speculation has centered around Baltimore, where incumbent Kyle Boller has not been guaranteed the starting job in 2006. On Monday, Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome told the Baltimore Sun that he had not spoken with the Vikings about Culpepper but did not rule out the possibility.

"Just like in free agency, we've got to utilize every possibility we can to get better," Newsome told the Sun.

Meanwhile, Moss said Monday on Sporting News Radio that he would welcome Culpepper in Oakland despite the pair's differences during their final year together in 2004.

"One thing I have come to figure out," Moss said, "is that this game that we play has gotten me and Daunte kind of distant. But, I think about reuniting us, or something like that, and taking it to another level. I'm not saying he is going to become a Raider, but if there was any interest in bringing him to Oakland, I've got my arms open to anybody who wants to come out here and win a Super Bowl. That's what I'm working for."

The Vikings don't figure to finalize their strategy until after hiring the third part of their decision-making triangle. As of Monday afternoon, the Vikings were not believed to have asked permission to interview Denver director of pro personnel Rick Smith -- the last of their known candidates who has yet to either interview or decline an opportunity to speak about their personnel director job.

Whether or not Smith interviews, the Vikings hope to have a decision made by the end of the week.

Etc.

• Rumors continued to circulate that Culpepper planned to fire agent Mason Ashe. As of Monday, however, Culpepper had not filed dismissal papers with the NFL Players Association. If that occurs, union rules would require Culpepper to wait five business days until hiring a new agent, according to an NFLPA spokesman.

Del Rio
01-24-2006, 07:34 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

True he looked like the QB of old!

I wasn't saying that it wasn't necessarily warranted. I am just saying that criticism is there. Manning got the same and look how consistant he has been from year to year during the regular season. Manning got beat by a better TEAM. He got beat by better TEAMS in all of his playoff runs.

Criticism follows the leader, QB is the leader. He will take the blame and the criticism. I am just saying 1 out of 32 QBs will win the SB. The odds are tough just to get there once you add weight to those odds besides. You can't right a playoff game after it has been played. It is one and done. Do you want to add Warner to this team, does that make it better. Do you want to draft a QB, maybe to groom for a few years down the road, but ultimately, they give Plummer another couple of years to get it done. Why kick his jiggly butt right now, media????????

I agree with what your saying.

However there is no way to tell what moving a guy out and bringing a new guy in is going to do.

It's the nature of the fan though. Realistically you don't know if getting Pepper out is even going to hurt this team. As fans we will tolerate failure year after year as long as it is successful (division wins, PLayoff births) because I think over time you begin to want your QB to get that ring just as much as for your team to win it.

It just sucks. The media does rain on peoples parades.

snowinapril
01-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Not all great players win championships.

Tark, Malone, Barkely, Stockton,Sanders, Marino.............feel free to continue the list............ probably K.G.

The Greatest player, which there are far less of, come through at the most opportune times, made "the greatest" by making the most of their opportunity. Jordan, Brady ( w/Vinatieri's help), Montana, Magic, Bird and Rice all just pop into my head at the same time. It really pains me to say Brady, but I don't know how I can leave him out.

Not every team is allowed to have that great player.

Del Rio
01-24-2006, 07:44 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Tark, Malone, Barkely, Stockton,Sanders, Marino.............feel free to continue the list............ probably K.G.

The Greatest player, which there are far less of, come through at the most opportune times, made "the greatest" by making the most of their opportunity. Jordan, Brady ( w/Vinatieri's help), Montana, Magic, Bird and Rice all just pop into my head at the same time. It really pains me to say Brady, but I don't know how I can leave him out.

I agree man.

Look at the Jazz, Malone and Stockton. Two of the best ever. There is no way to tell if we would have won a championship if we would have traded them. All we know is we didnt with them.

But it sure as hell was fun to watch and root for them to win. In the end I have realized that is probably more important then anything.

snowinapril
01-24-2006, 07:57 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

I agree man.

Look at the Jazz, Malone and Stockton. Two of the best ever. There is no way to tell if we would have won a championship if we would have traded them. All we know is we didnt with them.

But it sure as hell was fun to watch and root for them to win. In the end I have realized that is probably more important then anything.

The real problem is the fickle fan and all the FA changing of teams crap. Also the players and all they talk about is winning the big one, it is put in your face to win or else. No one wants to think about the "or else." It is like if you aren't being proactive your team must stink, what happened to marinading something a bit. What happened to the crock pot?

If I was a Jazz fan, I wouldn't have traded those two guys for a championship. I am more about loyalty and building than championship. You take away from it what you want as a fan. Sometimes you have to appreciate what you have and what the Jazz fans were allowed to witness night after night was an awesome sight for that long of a time.

That is why I wish Moss and DC were still playing together. Oh well! I have to apply my own addage here and be happy with what I got. Right now, I still have DC and I will be thankful for it.

nephilimstorm
01-24-2006, 08:28 PM
the latest is suppose to be someone from the Sandiego Charges as diretor pro personel...Good to see you again Del Rio...anyways...how many arguements do we have here for a 1st round pick for culpepper and maybe a third...seems like other threads think he is only worth (now) a second.

stjmnsota
01-24-2006, 08:30 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

You aren't gonna like this...
Pro-Fooball Talk is reposting that the Vikes can expect a lot less than we would like. Here's the quote from them:

Though we agree that something could happen with Culpepper, we disagree with Walters' suggestion that a first-round pick and a player would change hands. Culpepper is rehabbing from three torn knee ligaments, and his confidence similarly was shredded through six regular season games in which his play seriously regressed. At best, the Vikes would get a second-day pick in 2006 and a conditional first-day pick in 2007 that could go as high as a first-rounder based on his performance this season.

So what is wrong with those picks? I would dump him for a second rounder and conditional first rounder based on performance. We have enough cap room to get us through one season.

Wait they said second DAY pick? What exactly would that possibility be?

MnFan_in_Canada
01-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Personally, I think that if we trade DC we need to get a first round pick and some players or a package of picks (to include a first rounder). That is why I think we should be talking to the Raiders, Baltimore, Arizona and maybe even St louis. Would be nice to have two first round picks again this year.

stjmnsota
01-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Does it have to be a first rounder this year though? With enough cap room to really do some damage in free agency, why not some picks this year less than first round but more of them? Then have conditional first rounders next year and/or other picks for the next few years based on his performance. There are alot of great players come out of the later rounds that can really fill some open postiions and build a strong team.

skum
01-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Just found this

Ravens dismiss interest in Culpepper
Newsome: no talk about deal for QB
By Jamison Hensley
Sun reporter
Originally published January 24, 2006

Dismissing speculation that the Ravens have shown interest in Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper, general manager Ozzie Newsome said yesterday that there have been no trade talks between the two teams.

The Ravens are looking for a veteran to compete with Kyle Boller or back him up, which could prove difficult considering the free-agent market in March should be bleak.

If Culpepper is available - there has been increasing tension between the Vikings and their three-time Pro Bowl quarterback - he would be among the best options for the Ravens.

But Newsome indicated the linking of Culpepper to the Ravens is purely rumor.

"I don't anticipate [any talks]," Newsome said from Mobile, Ala., the site of this week's Senior Bowl.

When free agency begins, the top names in a thin group are: Jon Kitna, Jeff Garcia, Charlie Batch, Jamie Martin and Kurt Warner. The quarterbacks who could become salary cap casualties (Steve McNair, Kerry Collins and Aaron Brooks) would improve the class slightly.

That's why Culpepper is so intriguing despite his current baggage.

Culpepper, who will turn 29 at the end of this month, could miss the start of next season after tearing three ligaments in his right knee on Oct. 30. It's widely considered a yearlong injury.

He is also facing misdemeanor charges for his role in the Vikings' infamous "Love Boat" sex cruise.

In light of these problems, Culpepper recently campaigned for a new contract after turning down the Vikings' request to rehabilitate in Minnesota and refusing a face-to-face meeting with new coach Brad Childress. The Vikings have a proven replacement in Brad Johnson, who was 7-2 as the starter after Culpepper's injury.

Before blowing out his knee, Culpepper had the worst season of his six-year starting career. He threw six touchdown passes and 12 interceptions without traded top receiver Randy Moss, suspended leading rusher Onterrio Smith and injured Pro Bowl center Matt Birk.

Still, he is one season removed from producing 4,717 yards passing and 39 touchdowns. He also set an NFL record for combined yardage passing and rushing (5,123).

Culpepper's situation could be cleared up around March 14, when he is due $6 million in bonuses. If the Vikings decide to cut him at that point, it would severely hurt his value by keeping him off the free-agent market for nearly two weeks (the time when most teams use a bulk of their cap space).

The Oakland Raiders, Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams and Miami Dolphins could all have interest in Culpepper.

Asked if the Ravens want to have a veteran quarterback in place by the first couple of weeks in March, Newsome said: "It's when we get the right player, so it could be through trade, draft or free agency. We've got to utilize every possibility that we can."

The Ravens had a chance to land Culpepper in the 1999 draft, but Newsome decided to select cornerback Chris McAlister with the 10th overall pick. The Vikings then drafted Culpepper one pick later.

There had been talk that the Ravens could trade McAlister for Culpepper, but McAlister's contract might make that improbable. McAlister, a two-time Pro Bowl player, seemed uninterested for most of last season, which some suggested irked the organization.

Newsome said he has heard the reports that the Ravens are unhappy with McAlister.

"Speculation, speculation, speculation," he said.

Asked if McAlister would be on the team next season, Newsome said, "Chris is a member of the Baltimore Ravens."

jamison.hensley@baltsun.com

bfld
01-24-2006, 09:19 PM
We're stuck with him. We won't be offered enough of a trade. So how do we get the most out of him? A carrot ("here's your raise, because you've done a great job of breathing") or a stick ("get your a** up here and work with your team or you'll ride the bench for a while"). I don't know which approach works best with him, but it is important to understand that when he acts up by not meeting with the new coach, making a ridiculous request for a raise, etc., he's not doing these things on emotional impulse. He's got advisors and these things are planned (just like the ownershhip moves are planned).

stjmnsota
01-24-2006, 09:34 PM
"bfld" wrote:

We're stuck with him. We won't be offered enough of a trade. So how do we get the most out of him? A carrot ("here's your raise, because you've done a great job of breathing") or a stick ("get your a** up here and work with your team or you'll ride the bench for a while"). I don't know which approach works best with him, but it is important to understand that when he acts up by not meeting with the new coach, making a ridiculous request for a raise, etc., he's not doing these things on emotional impulse. He's got advisors and these things are planned (just like the ownershhip moves are planned).
I am afraid you are right. We are stuck with CPEP, so to speak. I don't think we give him what he asks though. He has no grounds. He signed a contract and hasn't really proven crap to deserve more. MAYBE there is something else going on we don't know about. Here is a scenario:

He refused requests to rehabilitate in MN. The WORD is every thing is going well. He is REQUESTING a restructured contract. HMMM. Maybe things aren't going so well for rehabilitating and that is why he is in FLorida and not here. And now ask for more $$ so he is covered if he doesn't return to playing condition if he can return at all.

Top that with Brad coming in and kicking ass, then rumors that Brad wants to start, which he deserves, Culpepper may feel he needs to play this card to keep his starting job. Kind of force the VIKES hand.

Things that make you go...um...hmmm?

Del Rio
01-24-2006, 09:37 PM
It's all too much drama for me at this point. I'm just gonna sit back and play some World of Warcraft, relax and let it work itself out.

Gives me a headache to think of all the reasons, all the hype, all the possibilities when we have very little info.

stjmnsota
01-24-2006, 09:40 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

It's all too much drama for me at this point. I'm just gonna sit back and play some World of Warcraft, relax and let it work itself out.

Gives me a headache to think of all the reasons, all the hype, all the possibilities when we have very little info.
You're absolutely right. But its fun. And with the Vikes, the past several years have been plently of drama. Hopefully the new ownership, coaches and staff as well as players will change the VIKES into a top notch organization. One to be reckoned with for years to come and one that players will want to come and play for and coaches will want to coach for.

cajunvike
01-24-2006, 10:09 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"So much drama in the SLC...
It's kinda hard being Del D-O-double G!"

mnjamie
01-24-2006, 10:11 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

You can play WoW at work?? Damn, I need your job ... I usually can't wait to play when I have some free time .... :lol:

cajunvike
01-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Would the suggested trade of Pep for McAlister make any sense for us? It seems that we would have too many starting quality CBs...and none of them want to ride the pine, that's for sure!

Del Rio
01-24-2006, 10:14 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

You can play WoW at work?? gol 'darnit, I need your job ... I usually can't wait to play when I have some free time .... :lol:

No I have to play when I get home, I should have clarified that LOL! I wish I could play while at work.

mnjamie
01-24-2006, 10:15 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

You can play WoW at work?? gol 'darnit, I need your job ... I usually can't wait to play when I have some free time .... :lol:

No I have to play when I get home, I should have clarified that LOL! I wish I could play while at work.

I was thinking, dang that would be sweet .... the long hours at work would pass by so fast .....

mnjamie
01-24-2006, 10:17 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Would the suggested trade of Pep for McAlister make any sense for us? It seems that we would have too many starting quality CBs...and none of them want to ride the pine, that's for sure!

I dont think it would, unless we could in some way dump Smoot for a quality QB out there ... which really doesn't make sense ... we need a stud SS, not more cb's ....

mark
01-24-2006, 10:43 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

Bottom line is his stock isn't high right now so getting either of those calibur players is not realistic. I'd be happy getting someone like Carlos Dansby and a good OL.

that and a first rnd pick or that saftey that gets allthe sacks.but i think it would be a mistake to trade him.

vikinggreg
01-24-2006, 10:44 PM
With Daunte wanting an increase in his contract and the Raiders and Dolphins both being over the cap, I have a hard time seeing him going to either of these two teams. Or maybe I just need to clean my glasses.

DPep11
01-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Randy Moss supports a possible Daunte Culpepper trade to Oakland.

"This game that we play has gotten me and Daunte kind of distant. But, I think about reuniting us, or something like that, and taking it to another level. I'm not saying he is going to become a Raider, but if there was any interest in bringing him to Oakland, I've got my arms open to anybody who wants to come out here and win a Super Bowl," Moss said. The Vikings probably need to hire a personnel chief before considering any deal. Jan. 24 - 12:18 pm et

NodakPaul
01-24-2006, 10:54 PM
we need a stud SS, not more cb's ....

Definately. But a QB who has been to the pro bowl twice in the last three years is worth more than a SS... even if his knee is questionable. We would be better off trying to get a SS and a Mike LB. Then and only then would I be OK with a trade... (Like my opinion really makes a difference in the end, right? ::grin::)

DPep11
01-24-2006, 11:16 PM
I have the same feeling I had about this time last year about Moss being traded :evil:

BBQ Platypus
01-24-2006, 11:23 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

we need a stud SS, not more cb's ....

Definately. But a QB who has been to the pro bowl twice in the last three years is worth more than a SS... even if his knee is questionable. We would be better off trying to get a SS and a Mike LB. Then and only then would I be OK with a trade... (Like my opinion really makes a difference in the end, right? ::grin::)

I had a brain fart. Is Chavous still going to be on the team? He's not the BEST in the league, but I think we'd be alright if we stuck with him. He's a pretty good safety. Is he asking for a whole buttload of cash or something?

snowinapril
01-24-2006, 11:26 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I reread this quote about Jake and just had a thought.

Apparently this applies to DC too. DC had 2 really good years back to back and then this one that we all would like to flush down the toilet. He still is getting the Razz. DC won't escape the criticism until he wins also. We had high expections of him and it has been disappoointing because of those expectation.

Jake will still get the Razz for as long as he plays and doesn't win the big game in the City of Denver. He is in the ghost of the 2 time winner John "I am Denver" Elway.

ThaSuperFreak33
01-24-2006, 11:49 PM
I know alot of people don't want to see Culpepper traded but what team would give us the best trade value for him?

VikesfaninWis
01-24-2006, 11:51 PM
"ThaSuperFreak33" wrote:

I know alot of people don't want to see Culpepper traded but what team would give us the best trade value for him?

That is a good question, maybe the Raiders if they are willing to give us there #6 overall pick. All depends who will do what, we all know that Oakland is hurting for a good QB...

COJOMAY
01-24-2006, 11:54 PM
You want to trade him for a running back? Is that what you're saying?
Heck, I don't want to do that. I want a good draft choice or two. While I agree we need a good running back, I still believe (unlike most here) that Memo would be a great running back if we just got an offensive line that could block for him. And if Smith returns and straightens himself out he has proven his worth, too.

NordicNed
01-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Not saying it's going to happen, but I'de say the Ravens......Lewis would look good in Purple..

But thats just a what if.........

VikesfaninWis
01-25-2006, 12:06 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Not saying it's going to happen, but I'de say the Ravens......Lewis would look good in Purple..

But thats just a what if.........

Ned you are talking about Ray Lewis right? Some say he has lost a step, but that is what that crap Cheese Heads said about Sharper, look who is laughing now... Ray Lewis, maybe a good pick up, but worth trading Pep for I don't know..

midgensa
01-25-2006, 12:19 AM
If we were to trade C-Pep (which I am against) I would like to see us send him to St. Louis and get Bulger in return ... I think Bulger would fit in just fine in our offense and is a good QB ... we could also possibly swap first-rounders with them to move up to their spot and maybe get a little something else in return ...

KY Vike
01-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Only way I would trade Pep is if we were guaranteed getting Vince Young. I don't want to waste time developing Cutler/Leinart...Young will be useful from the start.

Mr. Purple
01-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Ship Culpepper out, draft Cutler. Develope Cutler under Brad Johnson and Brad Childress (who developed McNabb).

COJOMAY
01-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Vince Young would not fit on with the WC offense. He's too much like Culpepper.

RK.
01-25-2006, 12:59 AM
If we trade Pep then Brad Johnson will be the starting QB for us next year. We will not trade for another QB nor do we need to. BJ has a couple good years left I think. If we trade it will be for LB's or O line IMO.

aceclown
01-25-2006, 01:04 AM
"RK." wrote:

If we trade Pep then Brad Johnson will be the starting QB for us next year. We will not trade for another QB nor do we need to. BJ has a couple good years left I think. If we trade it will be for LB's or O line IMO.

Yeah, hopefully we can get another stud like Napoleon Harris.... oh, wait, was he, oh yeah, that guy that i saw on the sideline of every game after week 3. Please, unless it is a top 3 or 4 LB, dont do it for another overrated LB.

cajunvike
01-25-2006, 01:27 AM
This article says that Patrick Ramsey may be released by the Redskins...he may be a decent option to back up BJ if we don't bring in another QB or if we draft a rookie.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/23/AR2006012301197.html

Of course, this is assuming that Daunte is traded.

RK.
01-25-2006, 02:13 AM
"aceclown" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

Yeah, hopefully we can get another stud like Napoleon Harris.... oh, wait, was he, oh yeah, that guy that i saw on the sideline of every game after week 3. Please, unless it is a top 3 or 4 LB, dont do it for another overrated LB.
Well since it won't be Red-cucumbers aren't just for salads anymore- McCombs making the deal I think we have hope of doing better than that. :smile:

collegeguyjeff
01-25-2006, 05:20 AM
"RK." wrote:

well look at it this way, we could get a good oline guy, or lb's thats smart idea. if we got a high pick for pepper we could trade down perhaps if we don't have the guy we want and get an extra pick or two out of it and grab more guys. even if we get a young quarterback high in the draft they will cost us a ton of money anyways.

and any of you who think we are gonna get good value from any of these teams i'd have to disagree with you cause none of them want to give anything up to get pepper from us.

PackSux!
01-30-2006, 02:16 AM
The Ravens have dismissed the speculation that they have shown any interest in Daunte Culpepper, according to the Baltimore Sun. General manager Ozzie Newsome said yesterday that there have been no trade talks between the two teams. Culpepper is recovering from a knee injury

Looks like the Ravens are out of the running if any of these trade rumors are true.

JellyBean2144
01-30-2006, 04:32 AM
I doubt that the Ravens would part with Sugar Ray Lewis, that man is the heart and soul of the Ravens franchise. We take him and the whole town goes into the tank. So, I doubt that they give Lewis up for DC.

And the whole issue with DC's knees. What is the status? Many teams are a little worried about how mobile DC will be. Is the knee 80% healthy or 50%. Can he cut and run? So, DC's knee is the big question mark. And knowing the Raiders, like I do, they will not swing a deal for DC unless they know for a fact that his knees are 110% healthy.

Our best bet is to tell DC to sit back and get healthy. Because he aint leaving Minnesota no time soon.

whiteviking24
01-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Vikings staff has let me down with their trades.

They do alot better with finding good free agents.

The scouting has always been good IMO.

If it were up to me and we had to give up pep. I would trade for a proven running back and some decent pick if pep is still worth it to other teams...

snowinapril
01-30-2006, 05:16 AM
"JellyBean2144" wrote:

I doubt that the Ravens would part with Sugar Ray Lewis, that man is the heart and soul of the Ravens franchise. We take him and the whole town goes into the tank. So, I doubt that they give Lewis up for DC.

And the whole issue with DC's knees. What is the status? Many teams are a little worried about how mobile DC will be. Is the knee 80% healthy or 50%. Can he cut and run? So, DC's knee is the big question mark. And knowing the Raiders, like I do, they will not swing a deal for DC unless they know for a fact that his knees are 110% healthy.

Our best bet is to tell DC to sit back and get healthy. Because he aint leaving Minnesota no time soon.

No proposing a trade at all, just repeating a report that I heard, that the Ravens see Ray Lewis as potentially on the downside.

IMO, I think that the Lewis more likely to be on the Trading Block would be J Lewis. The Ravens have Chester Taylor and J Lewis is expendable.

singersp
01-30-2006, 05:23 AM
"JellyBean2144" wrote:

I doubt Zygi would even consider Ray Lewis. He's trying to get us a new stadium & a new image.

Look at all the negativity the Vikings got from the state over C-Pep touching a woman's butt.

The state & the media would have a field day & feeding frenzy if he brought Ray Lewis in here.

mewario
01-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Ray Lewis? Ray Lewis? No matter if he can still play, he's too old.. I don't want a stopgap solution. One stopgap (Darren Sharper, although a great stopgap..) is enough.. wait, make that two stopgaps.. Fat Pat is getting up there in age as well.

audioghost
01-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Ah yes, ESPN-The incomperable second-hand source....this is old news fellas....an "insider" told the Viking Underground that he is availible to the highest bidder and I don't doubt it....it was the same "source" that said that Moss was availible to the highest bidder last year....I was like, "Thats b.s", but sure enough, a few weeks later...BAM! Moss, gone.....

SWAYZE74
01-30-2006, 09:43 AM
"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:

well...i'd want thier 10th pick...maybe another...something like 4th-5th...and toss either fitzgerald or boldin our way too...get denny to make another foolish trade again...muahahaha... :twisted: sounds great to me...

peace...

ultravikingfan
01-30-2006, 02:24 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

Ah yes, ESPN-The incomperable second-hand source....this is old news fellas....

Yup, thats why this was posted on the 22nd.

stjmnsota
01-30-2006, 05:56 PM
IMO as every keeps saying that Oakland may want Daunte because Of Randy Moss or that maybe Raiders will lose Randy and the Vikes should get him back because of Daunte, I think we don't want a QB or a Reciever on our team that rely on each other so much to be good.

I want a QB that can and will be successful throwing to whoever is on the team. I want a receiver that will be successful no matter who is throwing to him.

Now I do believe that good players make good players, but that is TEAM and it is much more than just a QB and a receiver. Don't know if you noticed, but the last couple of years the opposing defenses have more or less shut down the Daunte/Moss connection.

DCPologirl
01-30-2006, 07:44 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

This article says that Patrick Ramsey may be released by the Redskins...he may be a decent option to back up BJ if we don't bring in another QB or if we draft a rookie.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/23/AR2006012301197.html

Ramsey sucks. I don't want him.

VikesfaninWis
01-30-2006, 07:51 PM
"mewario" wrote:

Ray Lewis? Ray Lewis? No matter if he can still play, he's too old.. I don't want a stopgap solution. One stopgap (Darren Sharper, although a great stopgap..) is enough.. wait, make that two stopgaps.. Fat Pat is getting up there in age as well.

It doesn't matter what age the guy is. If he is at the top or near the top in the whole league like Sharper was, it doesn't matter what age you are. P-Will is also a guy that is awesome, one of the older guys on the team, but still a hell of a player..

snowinapril
01-30-2006, 08:21 PM
"stjmnsota" wrote:

IMO as every keeps saying that Oakland may want Daunte because Of Randy Moss or that maybe Raiders will lose Randy and the Vikes should get him back because of Daunte, I think we don't want a QB or a Reciever on our team that rely on each other so much to be good.

I want a QB that can and will be successful throwing to whoever is on the team. I want a receiver that will be successful no matter who is throwing to him.

Now I do believe that good players make good players, but that is TEAM and it is much more than just a QB and a receiver. Don't know if you noticed, but the last couple of years the opposing defenses have more or less shut down the Daunte/Moss connection.

I am not sure if you noticed, but Tice's brain shut down during that time too. That might be part of it too. It melted after the first 2 seasons as head coach. :lol:

cajunvike
01-30-2006, 08:22 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

Ramsey sucks. I don't want him.

I think that he is much better than you think! :grin:

SharperImage42
01-30-2006, 08:28 PM
culpepper is not getting traded, chill =)

snowinapril
01-30-2006, 08:39 PM
"SharperImage42" wrote:

The reason why people aren't chillin' is this, we all said that last year about Moss, "he won't be traded" and look what happened.

I said the exact same thing you did. I am leaning towards he isn't going to be traded, but I am not sticking my neck out on the chopping block on this one.

singersp
01-30-2006, 08:57 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"SharperImage42" wrote:

The reason why people aren't chillin' is this, we all said that last year about Moss, "he won't be traded" and look what happened.

I said the exact same thing you did. I am leaning towards he isn't going to be traded, but I am not sticking my neck out on the chopping block on this one.

I wouldn't put money on it either way. :wink:

DCPologirl
01-30-2006, 10:00 PM
and the speculation continues because we have no more news than we did last week.

Killercat
01-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Although I'd like to see a boat load of draft picks in a trade for Culpepper, he's not going anywhere :roll:

singersp
01-30-2006, 11:59 PM
"Killercat" wrote:

Although I'd like to see a boat load of draft picks in a trade for Culpepper, he's not going anywhere :roll:

Boat load? :grin:

ejmat
01-31-2006, 02:37 AM
These threads are brought up for conversation. I don't get how people can say things will or won't happen. Do the people that respond as if they know have some kind of insider reports that no one else knows about to come to these conclusions? How can anyone, after what happened last year be so confident that something will or won't happen?

singersp
01-31-2006, 02:42 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

These threads are brought up for conversation. I don't get how people can say things will or won't happen. Do the people that respond as if they know have some kind of insider reports that no one else knows about to come to these conclusions? How can anyone, after what happened last year be so confident that something will or won't happen?

I'm pretty confident that something will or will not happen. :razz:

cajunvike
01-31-2006, 02:43 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Killercat" wrote:

Boat load? :grin:

Freudian slip??? :lol:

LuckyVike
01-31-2006, 02:44 AM
I was just thinking, this thread is getting a ton of post and staying on the front page, so can someone fix the way Culpepper is spelled? It's tearing me up seeing that everytime I look at the last 10 messages thing. Thx.

ultravikingfan
01-31-2006, 03:56 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

If I say it, you can trust me.

cajunvike
01-31-2006, 08:26 AM
"LuckyVike" wrote:

I was just thinking, this thread is getting a ton of post and staying on the front page, so can someone fix the way Culpepper is spelled? It's tearing me up seeing that everytime I look at the last 10 messages thing. Thx.

YOU tell VikingNed that he screwed up...of course, his boot may end up in your little leprechaun's butt in your sig...ha ha, that would look hilarious!!!

ejmat
01-31-2006, 05:11 PM
I usually do trust what you say UltraViking. You are usually right on. I'm just talking about the people that come in and say "This won't happen" or "This will happen". I don't understand how they come to their determinations.

Singer, good point. Something will or won't happen. That is true. I can't argue that point. lol

ultravikingfan
01-31-2006, 05:55 PM
I hear ya.

People always say they never thought Moss would be traded; but I kinda saw the writing on the wall with that.

With Pep, I do not see the writing.

Webby
01-31-2006, 06:13 PM
//off topic///

That's cause its on the back of your GMC written in the dirt right under WASH ME! hahahaha

// back on topic///

ultravikingfan
01-31-2006, 08:11 PM
"webmaster" wrote:

//off topic///

That's cause its on the back of your GMC written in the dirt right under WASH ME! hahahaha

// back on topic///

http://sk1pper.com/youre_not_funny.bmp

shockzilla
01-31-2006, 09:32 PM
:laughing3:

cajunvike
01-31-2006, 10:04 PM
Funny stuff, Ultra and webby!

mfenlon
02-07-2006, 08:35 PM
I am interested in knowing everyones real
opionins on CP. Do you want him back?
SHould he be back? Has he over-stayed
his welcome in Minn? Who would set into
starting role and win us games? Will we
get anything worth wild if we do trade him?
The trade deadline is less than 1 month away..
Let's hear it people, stay or go?

hungryboy
02-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Go

C-PepNSalt
02-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Stay or go, don't really matter. Trade only if we can get something worth while, but depending on how his off season goes, he might be worthless!