PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper's camp ready to negotiate. What will Vikings do?

singersp
01-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Posted on Wed, Jan. 18, 2006

Culpepper's camp ready to negotiate, but what will Vikings do

BY SEAN JENSEN
Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. PAUL, Minn. - The agent for Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper said he is prepared to begin "scheduled" contract negotiations with the team to make his client one of the NFL's highest-paid players.

Mason Ashe, Culpepper's agent, said he, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and Rob Brzezinski, the team's vice president of football operations, outlined their intentions in August, when Culpepper received an additional $7.5 million in guaranteed money from the team.

"I am poised and ready to begin the scheduled restructuring of his long-term contract with the Vikings, as we discussed last summer with Mr. Wilf, so Daunte can assume the position on the NFL pay scale that he so deserves," Ashe said Wednesday.

Wilf, through a team spokesman, declined comment Wednesday evening.
Brzezinski also declined comment, and Culpepper did not return phone messages.

Culpepper has been noticeably silent since an interview with the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Dec. 15, when he insisted he would dispute the three misdemeanor charges against him for his role in the controversial boat party Oct. 6 on Lake Minnetonka. He also cast his support of backup quarterback Brad Johnson, and said he expected to "end my career in Minnesota and win Super Bowls for the Vikings."

Since then, however, the Vikings narrowly missed the playoffs, and coach Mike Tice was fired and replaced by Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress, who installed the West Coast offense.

Culpepper, whom Childress called "the franchise quarterback," has been conspicuously mum.

Culpepper returned to the Twin Cities late last week, spurring widespread speculation about the quarterback's visit. Many assumed he was in town to meet with Childress, but a league source said Wednesday that Culpepper met with Brzezinski to discuss his contract.
Brzezinski declined comment when asked about the meeting with Culpepper.

But Ashe said Culpepper was in the area for one reason.

"He did not come up there to negotiate his contract. If he had, I would have been there," Ashe said. "He had one scheduled visit, which he made. It was to deal with the ahead-of-schedule progress of his rehabilitation. Any other speculation about why he was there is pure conjecture."

Ashe said his client's focus is on returning to health after tearing three of four ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30 in Charlotte, N.C., in a game against the Carolina Panthers.

"Daunte is 100 percent focused on continuing his incredible progress and rehab, so he can be faster and stronger than ever before. That's his complete focus. Period," Ashe said. "The fans ought to know that."

Although Culpepper is ahead of schedule, Ashe declined to put a timetable on his client's return. Culpepper told the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Dec. 15, "I'll be playing definitely next season."

The question now is where.

In March, Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus, and his base salary for 2006 is $2 million. His salary cap number is a team-high $9.421 million, according to NFL Players Association salary documents. The exact date Culpepper will receive the bonus is not known. But if the Vikings choose to release or trade him - the NFL trading period begins on March 3 - the team's accelerated salary cap charge would be about $5.6 million. That means the Vikings' net savings, for salary cap purposes, would be $2.4 million.

The handling of this standoff is delicate for both sides.

A three-time Pro Bowl quarterback, Culpepper has been underpaid relative to other quarterbacks. Since he signed an incentive-laden, 10-year, $102 million contract in May 2003, his deal has been trumped by at least 18 NFL players.

His $15 million in guaranteed money was more than doubled by Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts ($34.5 million) and Michael Vick of the Atlanta Falcons ($37 million). Even with the additional $7.5 million Wilf approved in August, Culpepper's total is still below those players, as well as Alex Smith ($24 million), who just finished his rookie season with the San Francisco 49ers, and Tom Brady ($26.5 million) of the New England Patriots.

"Daunte is a premier player in the league and the adjustment to his salary was warranted. We made an adjustment to recognize that," Brzezinski said when the team announced Culpepper's contract adjustment in August.
At the time, however, Ashe insisted that move was only a "temporary solution," noting he expected to have future discussions with the Vikings about Culpepper's contract.

"It's a respectable gesture for now by the new owner," Ashe told the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Aug. 7. "But there is still more work to be done."
That, however, was when all sides assumed Culpepper and the Vikings would fulfill their preseason expectations of grandeur. The Vikings were widely projected to run away with the NFC North, and Culpepper was projected to contend for the Most Valuable Player award again. But the Vikings struggled to a 2-5 start, with Culpepper throwing six touchdown passes against 12 interceptions. Then, just as his play improved, Culpepper suffered a season-ending knee injury that has cast doubt on his readiness for the 2006 season.

Now, the Vikings are in a quandary. Not only is Culpepper unhappy but so is Johnson, who has made clear he wants to start next season.
Though he has cast his support to Culpepper, Childress said Friday he wasn't ready to set a timetable for Culpepper's return. Childress, however, did say Culpepper should be ready to participate in some football activity by training camp.

Childress also said he had a 45-minute telephone conversation last week with Culpepper_their first significant interaction since he was hired.
An authoritarian coach, Childress certainly wants to assert himself with Culpepper, who was granted many perks by Tice.

"I think the offseason program starts March 20, which traditionally has been well attended. He's going to want to put his best foot forward, I'm sure," Childress said Friday. "He'll want to be a part of that."

PurpleMafia
01-19-2006, 06:52 AM
good to know! thanks again for keepin me updated singer, your like my internet paperboy!

nice sig by the way!

michaelmazid
01-19-2006, 08:38 AM
I say we hold off on giving Daunte any more money till he shows and proves that he is totally healthy. Lets not forget that football is a business first.

iluvbigtds
01-19-2006, 09:03 AM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

I say we hold off on giving Daunte any more money till he shows and proves that he is totally healthy. Lets not forget that football is a business first.

I think the timing of this is pretty suspicious, after all these allegations of the Vikes shopping him. I'll be a real conspiracy theorist and say Pep is saying "put up or shut up" to the organization, either pay me what a superstar QB merits now or trade me to someone that will.

RK.
01-19-2006, 09:38 AM
"iluvbigtds" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

I think the timing of this is pretty suspicious, after all these allegations of the Vikes shopping him. I'll be a real conspiracy theorist and say Pep is saying "put up or shut up" to the organization, either pay me what a superstar QB merits now or trade me to someone that will.
Wilf is a business man. Pep had better remember he hasn't been a super star since Moss left. :razz: Wilf said he will honor his contract but I don't see him giving him any more than that.

AngloVike
01-19-2006, 10:41 AM
"singersp" wrote:

BY SEAN JENSEN
Knight Ridder Newspapers

A three-time Pro Bowl quarterback, Culpepper has been underpaid relative to other quarterbacks. Since he signed an incentive-laden, 10-year, $102 million contract in May 2003, his deal has been trumped by at least 18 NFL players.

His $15 million in guaranteed money was more than doubled by Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts ($34.5 million) and Michael Vick of the Atlanta Falcons ($37 million). Even with the additional $7.5 million Wilf approved in August, Culpepper's total is still below those players, as well as Alex Smith ($24 million), who just finished his rookie season with the San Francisco 49ers, and Tom Brady ($26.5 million) of the New England Patriots.

The thing is a soon as someone signs a contract then within a period of time it's going to be overtaken by others, thats a fact of life in any sports field.
The report quotes 18 players have passed him since 2003 - thats not a lot when you consider that covers a 2 1/2 year period, there are 32 teams in the league and not all of those 18 players are QBs either. Some franchises are notorious for over paying on players and out of the 4 QBs quoted only one has shown provided any return for the money - Brady.

I'll agree that a ten-year deal was never going to run the full course and these days how many contracts do run the full term ? However to be looking at re-negotiating so soon, having had an adjustment in August, reminds me of a certain WR in Philly who did a similar thing.
This may be a way of his agent getting him out of Minny without losing face, as he can then blame the Vikes for being unreasonable. He might want to be careful though as, unless his client can prove that he will be an asset in the WCO and is fully fit, he could find out that no player is indispensable.

Rastak
01-19-2006, 11:25 AM
He's gotta be kidding, right? The guys tears up his knee about as bad as you can and he wants to get paid as one of the best in the league....this after his worst season ever? If I were the Vikings front office and finally stopped laughing I'd say "okay, I get the point, you want to be traded and this is your cover story"

digital420
01-19-2006, 01:45 PM
All i can say is there are many converations we don't know about..

there is many situational things being looked at and viewed we don't have access or privledges to know about.
until these things come to light.. why does everyone believe that they KNOW what's going on? i mean if u were at your job and cause of some personal issues you were doing things not in the normal way.. but in full knowledge of your boss and in his full grace doing it!! but every co-worker you have started up 600 rumors about what's going on and other bs that causes poeple to loose faith/trust in you.. or when you return everyone looks on you a bit different..

ok?

lets see what happenes.. argueing over what we BELIEVE is going on will never bring forth the best of situations..

i'd just say.. discuss what u want.. but why bash a guy or his intentions if u don't konw what they are? if he comes out and says something like.. '"Unless i get what i deserve i wanna go to a place that will offer me it" then i don't wanna give credit to someone opionin that this is what he's doin..

DiGiTaL

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 02:03 PM
This should be gold.

I mean he needs to HONOR is contract right?

People were tearing Brad Johnson up and all he said is HE WOULD LIKE TO START! "Brad needs to shut up and honor his contract"

It's threads like these that gives you a window into who you should simply fucking ignore.

Lets see the sympathy train roll into town for old C-pep.

singersp
01-19-2006, 02:07 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

This should be gold.

People were tearing Brad Johnson up and all he said is HE WOULD LIKE TO START! "Brad needs to shut up and honor his contract"

It's threads like these that gives you a window into who you should simply fricken ignore.

You are talking about ignoring the thread subjectee & not the thread originator...................................right? :???:

digital420
01-19-2006, 02:12 PM
singersp.. yer our top connection for info.. i odn't think anyone would ignore ya..

well.. course there are trolls about..

besides my way to early reading of mn newspapers.

and if you read the article.. even his agent says he is focusing on coming back faster and stronger!! we'll have to see what happens with his contract.. but.. like i said before.. why bash a guy when u do'nt even have the whole store?

DiGiTaL

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 02:21 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

This should be gold.

It's threads like these that gives you a window into who you should simply fricken ignore.

You are talking about ignoring the thread subjectee & not the thread originator...................................right? :???:

I'm talking about the handful of people who are going to stick up for Dante sayind we need to throw more money at him and have also blasted Brad Johnson saying he needs to honor his contract.

Not about the very awesome well informed person who started this thread :grin:

This is almost as bad as when Birk basically said hey I will risk my career but you have to hook me up with a deal. I don't care if there was a previous arrangement or what the guy might never play again and if he does he may not be half as good as he was.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be people who just two days ago were blasting BJ "angry" that he was not honoring his current contract will chime in, in support of Daunte and his quest for top pay even after he played like ass soup last year. He hasn't even proven he can be successful without Moss.

singersp
01-19-2006, 02:45 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

This should be gold.

I'm talking about the handful of people who are going to stick up for Dante sayind we need to throw more money at him and have also blasted Brad Johnson saying he needs to honor his contract.

Not about the very awesome well informed person who started this thread :grin:

This is almost as bad as when Birk basically said hey I will risk my career but you have to hook me up with a deal. I don't care if there was a previous arrangement or what the guy might never play again and if he does he may not be half as good as he was.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be people who just two days ago were blasting BJ "angry" that he was not honoring his current contract will chime in, in support of Daunte and his quest for top pay even after he played like jiggly butt soup last year. He hasn't even proven he can be successful without Moss.

"Not about the very awesome well informed person who started this thread :grin: " :cool:

I could see giving him more guaranteed money if it was based on level of play. He would have to start out where his contract is at &earn the increase only after he proves it's merited.

To throw "guaranteed" money at him before he even steps on the field would be ridiculous.

This isn't true of just DC, but any superstar playing pro sports today.

But exactly how many millions can a player spend in his lifetime?

When is enough enough?

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 02:51 PM
I think he is looking for an easy way out.

No team in their right mind would throw a truckload of money at a guy who may never play again.

If there is a contract "dispute" he can get away from the scandal and the critisizm and start fresh.

Ltrey33
01-19-2006, 02:53 PM
"iluvbigtds" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

Exactly. I think that Culpepper is forcing the Vikings hand on this one. This will either force them to commit by restructuring his deal and paying him more or it will force them to trade him.

jackyl
01-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Teams don't have to honor contracts.... player should try and get as much money as he can, while he can.

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 03:19 PM
It's good that teams dont have to honor contracts. Otherwise it would be the NBA.

Asking for a rework after all that has happend last year sounds pretty damn desperate to me.

If I was Wilf I'd tell him to blow me.

*Edit*

That may be too harsh. I would tell Daunte to come talk to me at the end of next year. That may go over slightly better.

V4L
01-19-2006, 03:37 PM
He needs to restrutcure his contract and take a pay cut!

Prove he is worth more money.. Damn

TheViking11
01-19-2006, 03:39 PM
we need to keep culpepper, he is our franchise player, even though he didnt have the greatest season this year, he is still good and should go better next season with the west coast offense and new coaches, we cannot afford to let him go

COJOMAY
01-19-2006, 04:01 PM
we need to keep culpepper, he is our franchise player, even though he didnt have the greatest season this year, he is still good and should go better next season with the west coast offense and new coaches, we cannot afford to let him go
He DOES NOT fit the mold of a West Coast player. That's the problem. Daunte is a runner and a long ball thrower. Brad Johnson is a West Coast style player and proved it last year.
Daunte asking for more money at this point is the stupidest thing he ever did with the exception of all his interceptions and fumbles last year. The highest paid player in the NFL, come on! He isn't anywher near the top QB in the NFL. Look at the four QB's in the hunt for the Super Bowl. Only ONE is a first round draft choice. The rest are all lesser known QB's.

ChezPizmo
01-19-2006, 04:09 PM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

Completely agree. Show us some production.

whackthepack
01-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Daunte is out of his friggin mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he wants to be traded then tell people behind the scenes and stop this childish tantrum, he is under contract he is due 6 million plus a base of another 2.5 Million plus incentives, what more does the guy want? If he comes back and is able to play the last half of the season and preforms well then he can try and renegotiate his contract after next season. But with the way the situation is know (new coach, new owner, being hurt) what is he thinking? If it is the boat scandal charges that was his own fault, take it like a man! If he thinks he was slighted some how after he was hurt, get the f*ck over it! If he doesn't want to play for the Vikes any longer than say it behind the scenes and not in the press! What ever he is thinking he is handling this poorly and should get his sh*t together, I would love to seem him come back better than before but he has to start acting like a man not a child!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 04:32 PM
For not saying anything and just focusing on getting better he sure is saying all the wrong things.

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 04:43 PM
http://primates.ximian.com/~jackson/Monkey_steals_peach.jpg

Caine
01-19-2006, 04:57 PM
This is the part of the post-season/pre-season I hate. The part where the mad scramble for more cash occurs.

On one hand, we have the people who say, "Players should honor their contracts"...and I am often one of them. Then we have the "Teams should honor their end of the contract" faction...which I situationally join.

I think that there are basically four types of situations which we run into year in and year out.

1: The guy who wants more money, but doesn't have anything to justify it yet/currently.

2: The guy who wants more money and should honestly get it.

3: The guy who is overpaid and isn't saying anything until after the March roster bonus kicks in.

4: The guy making what he should and happy about it.

I don't see a lot of #4's most years.

Almost everyone in the NFL believes their underpaid. Most every NFL fan thinks the players are overpaid. Heck, the same is true in REAL life...I think I'm underpaid, but my employer (who recently restructured our wage system so they can pay us less...LEGALLY...the jerks) thinks we're all over paid.

Right now, I see Culpepper as a 3 who is playing a 1. He had a HORRIBLE season this year - including suffering a terrible injury from which he may never recover completely - yet his AGENT has the audacity to try and return to the table for MORE. At which point does he believe that the entire Viking front office underwent lobotomy proceedures?

One thing that the NFL Teams and the NFL fans agree on is that this is a put-up-or-shut-up League. Most of us a tired of players crying because they didn't sign the deal they should have (T-Hoe), or they had one good year and deserve superstar money (Jovan Walker). If you don't like it, boys, you can always quit and get a REAL job.

So, I believe the the Viking ownership should quietly and privately tell Daunte, that now is not the time to be discussing salary increases. If Daunte's agent wants to be Drew Rosenhaus II...well...we can always shop Daunte around.

I've seen enough football to know that, in spite of media opinion, there is no one person who can carry a franchise. Ask Barry Sanders about that...or Warren Moon (when he was with Houston). And even a lesser player can achieve victory with the right team (Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer, Niel O'Donnel, etc).

Daunte should focus on rehab now, and playing his butt off next season. And I'm GLAD Brad Johnson wants to start. He played well enough last season to warrant a look. His style IS West Coast. And if He outplays Daunte...well...I guess we all know where that "more money" talk of Daunte's agent will lead.

Caine

Caine
01-19-2006, 04:59 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

http://primates.ximian.com/~jackson/Monkey_steals_peach.jpg

This is how Del Rio says, "HELLO".

Caine

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 05:05 PM
No better way to say Hello Neighbor like the good old Monkey Steals the Peach.

Also useful for when your teams QB who has a surgically reconstructed knee is wanting more cash.

kyleo1967
01-19-2006, 05:23 PM
STORM CLOUDS GATHER IN MINNY

(per PFT.com)

A few days back, we suggested that the relationship between the Vikings and quarterback Daunte Culpepper soon could be coming to an end. In our assessment, the process is already beginning to unfold.

In our opinion, the Vikings would be wise to accelerate it.

Sean Jensen of The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that agent Mason Ashe plans to reopen talks aimed at finagling more money for Culpepper, who currently is rehabilitating a torn ligament trifecta (and, presumably, a shattered ego).

"I am poised and ready to begin the scheduled restructuring of his long-term contract with the Vikings, as we discussed last summer with [owner Zygi] Wilf, so Daunte can assume the position on the NFL pay scale that he so deserves," Ashe said on Wednesday.

Excuse me? Mason, are you f--king insane? You hijacked the Vikings for more money last year because you had your guy sign a deal running through 2013 that didn't properly anticipate his MVP-caliber performance in 2004, and now after your guy played like refried baby crap in 2005 before having his knee exploded you want more money?

For new head coach Brad Childress, who was smack dab in the middle of the T.O. mess last year, it looks like deja turd all over again.

And if Childress learned anything a year ago, it's that cancers like this must be dealt with swiftly and decisively. Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus in March.

So cut him. Cut him now.

Don't even try to trade him. Just dump him. So what if you're giving him what he wants? But getting rid of him, you'll also be getting what you need.

Peace. Harmony. Focus.

Then Brad Johnson can be the starter for 2006, and the team can develop its next quarterback as Johnson squeezes the last bits of toothpaste out of the tube.

It's bold, but it's a no brainer. C'mon Zig, Rob, Brad. Show the entire NFL that team is more important than individual. Who cares if Culpepper wins a ring with someone else? The simple truth is that, as long as he stays in Minnesota, no one is gonna get one.

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 05:26 PM
He played like refried baby crap........LMAO I like it, I better write that one down! :lol:

Prophet
01-19-2006, 05:50 PM
"I am poised and ready to begin the scheduled restructuring of his long-term contract with the Vikings, as we discussed last summer with Mr. Wilf, so Daunte can assume the position on the NFL pay scale that he so deserves," Ashe said Wednesday.

Based on this quote from the original article in this thread it appears that Daunte was promised a restructuring of his contract.

That being said, what does it mean? Many players during the Patriots run restructured their contracts to benefit the team....receiving less money instead of more so they could keep the team intact.

Culpepper is making plenty of coin. If he had a good year in 2005 and wasn't injured then the deal they made last summer regarding the restructuring of his contract would make more sense. After his pathetic performance in 2005 and his injury he is in no position to restructure his contract unless he is doing it to help out the team. He is suppose to be the leader on the field.

I have been a Daunte supporter in the past and I find it more difficult with each passing day to support him. If he really wants to get on the new ship and lead the team he should begin doing that now, it may already be too late.

shawn
01-19-2006, 05:56 PM
I would have to say that Culpeppers timing on this contract thing is pretty rotten. No one knows if he is going to be worth ANYTHING next year so why give him a dime more than he already has coming. If he steps up his production next year and proves that his knee is okay.....then lets talk but until then, this money talk is crap and makes him look pretty lame.

cajunvike
01-19-2006, 05:57 PM
"TheViking11" wrote:

What's up with the stealing of Lotza's old avatar and the cuss word in the sig??? Mods???

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 06:02 PM
I have no idea. The IP matches another user but not Lotzas.

Prophet
01-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Wilf: Childress will clear up QB controversy
The Vikings owner also said that while the team is interviewing for a personnel director, the new coach will have a significant say.
Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: January 19, 2006 – 5:25 AM
Printer friendly E-mail this story Related Content
Link (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/191686.html)

The question was bound to come, wasn't it? Near the end of an appearance Wednesday in front of a crowd of realtors, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf was asked about the future of his team's quarterback position.
Wilf paused. He considered the erratic behavior of injured starter Daunte Culpepper, along with Brad Johnson's desire to start and the growing speculation that one or both players could play elsewhere in 2006. Then Wilf smiled.

"That's why I'm very happy I hired coach Childress," Wilf said. "Because now it's his problem. It's not my problem anymore."

The comment drew laughs from those gathered at Interlachen Country Club for a meeting of the Minnesota Commercial Association of Realtors. Later, Wilf reiterated that he expects Childress to rectify the complicated situation. Wilf also spoke as if both Culpepper and Johnson will remain on the roster, possibly battling for the starting job if Culpepper is healthy, and expressed admiration for Johnson's competitive spirit.

"As you can see from last year," Wilf said, "we're very fortunate to have two quarterbacks who can lead us to a championship. I will have to let the coach sort that out. He is going to be in contact with both quarterbacks.

"He will let them know of his philosophy and make sure that that philosophy is carried out by our quarterbacks and everyone on the team."

Culpepper was in the Twin Cities last week to have his knee examined and to meet face-to-face with Childress. When the two couldn't get their schedules to match, the meeting turned into a 45-minute telephone conversation Friday morning.

Asked if he was concerned about Culpepper's demeanor since his injury, Wilf re-emphasized the Vikings' depth at the position. But if Culpepper no longer wants to play for the Vikings, he hasn't told Wilf.

"When I've spoken to him, it sounded like, yes, he does want to play here," said Wilf, who is scheduled to pay Culpepper $6 million in bonuses March 14.

Culpepper is about two months into a projected year-long rehabilitation of his injured right knee. The Vikings hope he can accelerate the timetable in order to participate in training camp, but Childress has acknowledged Culpepper's return date is uncertain. Johnson would be Culpepper's logical replacement, but Johnson confirmed during an ESPN interview he believes his 2005 performance earned him a starting job somewhere in 2006.

Johnson has three years remaining on his contract, leaving him unable to move elsewhere unless the Vikings comply. However, Wilf said the Vikings need more players like Johnson on the roster.

"I look at what he said as a testament to Brad Johnson wanting to be the leader," Wilf said. "I wouldn't expect anything less from him. That's the reason he is the leader that he is. He always expects to be the starter. That's the type of person you need."

The Vikings will explore the issue further once they complete the final step of their front office reorganization. Wilf confirmed the team is in the midst of interviewing candidates for a job he has defined as personnel director. Former Miami General Manager Rick Spielman interviewed Tuesday with team officials, and former Atlanta vice president Ron Hill is expected to speak with the Vikings at some point this week.

Denver director of pro personnel Rick Smith is also a candidate, but he might not be available until next month if the Broncos advance to the Super Bowl. Wilf said he has not ruled out internal candidates Scott Studwell or Jeff Robinson -- "it could be a personnel person that we add with the director being someone who is currently on staff," he said -- and said Childress will have "significant input" into all football-related decisions.

Wilf, in fact, put Childress at the top of a makeshift "Triangle of Authority" he displayed Wednesday as a way of explaining the Vikings' new power structure. The personnel man was at one of the bottom corners of the triangle, while Brzezinski was at the other.

"There has to be communication," Wilf said. "But the head coach has to be able to know and say who he wants on his team. He's the one who has to tell the personnel guy and the cap guy what we're looking for. He has to have significant input."

=============================================

[b]Freeze Daunte's pay
LEADING OFF WITH BOB SANSEVERE
Link (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/bob_sansevere/13657937.htm)

Nobody asked for advice, but I'm going to offer some anyway to...
Vikings owner Zygi Wilf: Tell Daunte Culpepper to look at his stats from this season, and at how poorly the team played before his injury. Then tell him you won't renegotiate his contract because he's already getting more money than he deserves.

Vikings coach Brad Childress: Don't coddle Culpepper the way Denny Green and Mike Tice did. Also, use your clout to make sure the team doesn't dismantle the current personnel department during this search for a personnel director. Scott Studwell, Jeff Robinson and Paul Wiggin are keepers.

Wolves Vice President Kevin McHale: You have a spotty history when it comes to evaluating talent. Yeah, Kevin Garnett was a great pick, and Wally Szczerbiak was a darn good one. But you let Bobby Jackson and Chauncey Billups get away, and all you really got out of Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell was one decent season. As for Michael Olowokandi, what a mistake. When you make that trade everyone is expecting, make sure it's for somebody worth keeping.

Twins general manager Terry Ryan: With Jason Kubel still recovering from knee surgery, Mike Cuddyer is likely to start in right field. But what happens if designated hitter Rondell White gets hurt, something he has a history of doing? You should acquire another player — one with some power, preferably — who can DH and also play in the field.

Wild general manager Doug Risebrough: You've got a fine coaching staff. Isn't it about time you got them more talent with which to work?
Bob Sansevere can be reached at bsansevere@pioneerpress.com.

==============================================

Culpepper seeks more money
Injured QB's agent says he forewarned Vikings last summer that negotiations would be reopened
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press
Link (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/13657749.htm)

The agent for Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper said he is prepared to begin "scheduled" contract negotiations with the team to make his client one of the NFL's highest-paid players.

Mason Ashe, Culpepper's agent, said he, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and Rob Brzezinski, the team's vice president of football operations, outlined their intentions in August, when Culpepper received an additional $7.5 million in guaranteed money from the team.

Culpepper has been noticeably silent since an interview with the Pioneer Press on Dec. 15, when he insisted he would dispute the three misdemeanor charges against him for his role in the controversial boat party Oct. 6 on Lake Minnetonka. He also cast his support of backup quarterback Brad Johnson and said he expected to "end my career in Minnesota and win Super Bowls for the Vikings."

Since then, however, the Vikings narrowly missed the playoffs, and coach Mike Tice was fired and replaced by Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress, who installed the West Coast offense.

Culpepper, who Childress called "the franchise quarterback," has been conspicuously mum.

Culpepper returned to the Twin Cities late last week, spurring widespread speculation about the quarterback's visit. Many assumed he was in town to meet with Childress, but a league source said Wednesday that Culpepper met with Brzezinski to discuss his contract.

"He did not come up there to negotiate his contract. If he had, I would have been there," Ashe said. "He had one scheduled visit, which he made. It was to deal with the ahead-of-schedule progress of his rehabilitation. Any other speculation about why he was there is pure conjecture."

Ashe said his client's focus is on returning to health after tearing three of four ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30 in Charlotte, N.C., in a game against the Carolina Panthers.

"Daunte is 100 percent focused on continuing his incredible progress and rehab, so he can be faster and stronger than ever before. That's his complete focus. Period," Ashe said. "The fans ought to know that."

Although Culpepper is ahead of schedule, Ashe declined to put a timetable on his client's return. Culpepper told the Pioneer Press on Dec. 15, "I'll be playing definitely next season."

In March, Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus, and his base salary for 2006 is $2 million. His salary cap number is a team-high $9.421 million, according to NFL Players Association salary documents. The exact date Culpepper will receive the bonus is not known. But if the Vikings choose to release or trade him — the NFL trading period begins on March 3 — the team's accelerated salary cap charge would be about $5.6 million. That means the Vikings' net savings, for salary cap purposes, would be $2.4 million.

"Daunte is a premier player in the league,and the adjustment to his salary was warranted. We made an adjustment to recognize that," Brzezinski said when the team announced Culpepper's contract adjustment in August.

At the time, however, Ashe insisted that move was only a "temporary solution," noting he expected to have discussions with the Vikings about Culpepper's contract.

"It's a respectable gesture for now by the new owner," Ashe told the Pioneer Press on Aug. 7. "But there is still more work to be done."
That, however, was when all sides assumed Culpepper and the Vikings would fulfill their lofty preseason expectations. The Vikings were widely projected to run away with the NFC North, and Culpepper was projected to again contend for the Most Valuable Player award. But the Vikings struggled to a 2-5 start, with Culpepper throwing six touchdown passes against 12 interceptions. Then, just as his play improved, Culpepper suffered a season-ending knee injury that has cast doubt on his readiness for the 2006 season.

Now, the Vikings are in a quandary. Not only is Culpepper unhappy but so is Johnson, who has made clear he wants to start next season.

Though he has cast his support to Culpepper, Childress said Friday he wasn't ready to set a timetable for Culpepper's return. Childress, however, did say Culpepper should be ready to participate in some football activity by training camp.

Childress also said he had a 45-minute telephone conversation last week with Culpepper — their first significant interaction since he was hired.
An authoritarian coach, Childress certainly wants to assert himself with Culpepper, who was granted many perks by Tice.

"I think the offseason program starts March 20, which traditionally has been well attended. He's going to want to put his best foot forward, I'm sure," Childress said Friday. "He'll want to be a part of that."

Sean Jensen can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.

whackthepack
01-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Well it looks like it is up to Brad to decide Daunte's fate here in Minny, If I was Daunte I would be at Winter park talking and doing the right things! With 6 million signing bonus coming do I would not be acting the way he is and I do not think if the Vikes release him he is going to get a better contract than he has right now! If he comes back from the injury, and has a good season next year somebody would give him a good contract. But those are big ifs at this point!

But telling your agent to push for a new contract at this time is ludacris and I think he wants out. I think that he thinks he was unfairly treated because of the SS Viking boat party, which is his own fault and he should accept it like a man and quit being a cry baby! Next time do not attend such functions and you will not have to deal with the consequences of those actions.

So trade him and bring on Matt Schaub from Atlanta, or Phillip Rivers!

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 06:53 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Well it looks like it is up to Brad to decide Daunte's fate here in Minny, If I was Daunte I would be at Winter park talking and doing the right things! With 6 million signing bonus coming do I would not be acting the way he is and I do not think if the Vikes release him he is going to get a better contract than he has right now! If he come back from the injury and has a good season next year somebody would give him a good contract for those are big ifs at this point!

But telling your agent to push for a new contract at this time is ludacris and I think he wants out. I think that he thinks he was unfairly treated because of the SS Viking boat party, which is his own fault and he should accept it like a man and quit being a cry baby! Next time do not attend such functions and you will not have to deal with the consequences of those actions.

So trade him and bring on Matt Schaub from Atlanta, or Phillip Rivers!

I think your right Whack.
He's diggin that hole deeper. I also agree he is bitter about the boat.

ultravikingfan
01-19-2006, 06:56 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"TheViking11" wrote:

What's up with the stealing of Lotza's old avatar and the cuss word in the sig??? Mods???

"Del Rio" wrote:

I have no idea. The IP matches another user but not Lotzas.

Not the same member.

toss2moss works at a college and probably posted from there. So, the new member must have posted from there also.

cajunvike
01-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Moderate but incentive-laden contracts are the way it should be...that way, you have a great season, you make lots of money....you have a crappy season, you still do OK, but the team doesn't overpay for little or no production.

Prophet
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Moderate but incentive-laden contracts are the way it should be...that way, you have a great season, you make lots of money....you have a crappy season, you still do OK, but the team doesn't overpay for little or no production.

XFL.

whackthepack
01-19-2006, 07:07 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Could not agree more Cajun, which is one of the reasons that I have fallen out of love with the NBA and major league Baseball. Most players (not all) sign huge guaranteed deals for 5 to 7 years and then never play nearly as good as before the big deal. It hamstrings the franchise for the length of the contract, and the team can not unload the bums!

audioghost
01-19-2006, 07:17 PM
It sounds like Peppy wants to go....and its sickening....look at what Mr. Cheer or Die's website proclaimed:

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/maasx003/Vikings

Its a done deal, Peppy will be dealt.....last year at about this time he did the same thing with the Moss trade, he said his "insider" told him that Moss was to be traded, a little less than a month later, boom...Moss is gone....I'm scared for the future of our franchise....we're phucked! We trade away our best players, half the fans hate em' (Moss and Daunte), the media talks sh!t about em' all season, and there's just no sunshine in Minnesota....it makes me wanna puke!

Muggsy
01-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Man, me an' da boys here in da big house have lost a lot of respect for Daunte, y'know? Jeez, he has a sucky season, smashes his knee three ways ta sunday, pouts when da Vikes are on their winnin' streak, doesn't have a face ta face wit' da new coach, an' now he wants more money! Is he nuts?

Well, as far as I'm concerned, we can make dat deal wit' da Cardinals dat is rumored ta be a possible ting available. We send da prima donna Daunte to da Cardinals for a #1 pick among udda tings, draft a QB, an' let him learn from Brad Johnson. Brad, he's got a few good years left in 'im, y'know? He ain't no elite QB, but, dat's what they're callin' Daunte, an' look how he turned out, y'know?

Now, if youse will excuse me, I hafta get back to tunnel #3.... I mean.... uh... back to da library.

ultravikingfan
01-19-2006, 07:21 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

It sounds like Peppy wants to go....and its sickening....look at what Mr. Cheer or Die's website proclaimed:

Its a done deal, Peppy will be dealt.....last year at about this time he did the same thing with the Moss trade, he said his "insider" told him that Moss was to be traded, a little less than a month later, boom...Moss is gone....I'm scared for the future of our franchise....we're phucked! We trade away our best players, half the fans hate em' (Moss and Daunte), the media talks sh!t about em' all season, and there's just no sunshine in Minnesota....it makes me wanna puke!

And why should we believe him or even consider his stuff credible?

Prophet
01-19-2006, 07:23 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

Disagree. The sun is shining bright in Minnesota. If Culpepper wants to show those colors and they are his true colors then let him walk. I agree with Florio, cut him and save the coin. Go with Johnson as the starter and pick up some promising young QB that can learn under Johnson. I am excited about the changes and think it is for the better.

A team of no-names that plays with pride and as a team. That is where the Vikes appear to be heading and I am all for it. Smash-mouth football. Free up some of Daunte's cap room and sign players where needed.

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 07:25 PM
I doubt he is even close to being dealt yet.

He can step up and set the record straight at anytime. The job is his for the taking.

tastywaves
01-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm still having problems with the math...

In March, Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus, and his base salary for 2006 is $2 million. His salary cap number is a team-high $9.421 million, according to NFL Players Association salary documents. The exact date Culpepper will receive the bonus is not known. But if the Vikings choose to release or trade him - the NFL trading period begins on March 3 - the team's accelerated salary cap charge would be about $5.6 million. That means the Vikings' net savings, for salary cap purposes, would be $2.4 million.

So, is this saying that if MN trades or releases Daunte after March 3, but before his signing bonus date (unknown, but sometime in March) that they will still be charged the $5.6M salary cap (even though the cash outlay would be significantly less)? Then if the $6M signing bonus date passes and nothing has been worked out, Daunte is $6M richer, but will probably still hold out for a restructuring of his contract (not likely I realize as it puts this thing in an uglier situation). I'm so confused, talk about your refried baby crap.

I agree that Daunte is handling this whole thing wrong (for himself mainly). He obviously is once again having issues with his tender psyche (damn, all that talent and no brain to drive it) and wants that love to shine back down on him. That means either Minny coming up with a sweetheart deal to show they still think he's the man or someone else stepping up to the plate and showering their love on him. I agree the ploy is to leave MN, but I think the real driver here is for Daunte to get the attention back that he is so used to getting. After all these guys are professional athletes, not socially mature adults.

Prophet
01-19-2006, 07:28 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

He can step up and set the record straight at anytime. The job is his for the taking.

Agree. But the question is does the Vikings organization want him as their starter? There were questions on his performance and his healing...but beyond that and more important than those issues are his attitude. If he has a shitty attitude he is in no position to be a leader. With all the changes in the organization this year the team needs field generals that will build up the team chemistry. It appears to me that Daunte is not the man for the job...if what we're hearing from the press is true...which often is not the case.

snowinapril
01-19-2006, 07:28 PM
"OldManVike" wrote:

Man, me an' da boys here in da big house have lost a lot of respect for Daunte, y'know? Jeez, he has a sucky season, smashes his knee three ways ta sunday, pouts when da Vikes are on their winnin' streak, doesn't have a face ta face wit' da new coach, an' now he wants more money! Is he nuts?

OldMan, don't get sucked into that propaganda.

If we want him and he wants a few more pennies, that is one thing.

If we want him and he wants a few more quarters, that is totally different.

The whole "negotiation" thing perked my ears up, and it irritated me at first but just like everything so far in the media, it has been speculation. They are just reporting, and without DC's comments I might add. So there has been a lot of fill in the blank going on, which equals speculation.

It is making an AS.s out of U and Me. = Assume away............... that is what this board is all about.......

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Prophet: I agree.

Like I said before, if he isn't saying much, what he is saying isn't worth hearing.

Sounds like it's all on Childress now though, so whatever he thinks is best for the team I will back him, even if it means #11 walks.

Prophet
01-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Yeah, the faith I have in Childress goes back to his handling of the T-Ho situation in Philly. I can't remember exactly what he said but it was something like we don't need assholeson our team.

The combination of Childress and Wilf is perfect for this controversy. A veteran business man and a man with a career coaching in the NFL. They will sort this crap out and do it well.

snowinapril
01-19-2006, 07:41 PM
"jackyl" wrote:

Teams don't have to honor contracts.... player should try and get as much money as he can, while he can.

TRY is exactly what Ashe is doing.

Give him credit for trying.

It never hurts to TRY.

But, I don't think that DC and Ashe have much leverage.

If I was the Org, I would just have to look them in the eye and say your market value is pooh. I will be happy to bring up this issue next offseason. You are under contract and I am going to pay you what we have agreed upon. But I will not restructure your contract at this time unless you want to take less money. Get your butt on the field and make me want to pay you more next season, then we can talk about restructuring. It is just good business.

Then again, if we are just talking about chump change to keep DC "happy" or restucturing to help the team and cap, there can be a happy medium "sum"where.

Jkurtkrauss
01-19-2006, 07:41 PM
You gotta admit........DC has sum big Kahunas for even thinking about more money after last season.

I'd like to see him run a 5.5 40 before I'd give him squat.

purplehorn
01-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Fumblepepper you are the weakest link

GOODBYE

purpleFavreEaters
01-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Here is Pioneer Press's viewpoint of this whole deal. Personally I believe Culpepper is just using this as a ploy to get traded. Maybe he should concentrate on getting healthy.

Posted on Thu, Jan. 19, 2006
Culpepper seeks more moneyInjured QB's agent says he forewarned Vikings last summer that negotiations would be reopenedBY SEAN JENSENPioneer PressThe agent for Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper said he is prepared to begin "scheduled" contract negotiations with the team to make his client one of the NFL's highest-paid players.
Culpepper has been noticeably silent since an interview with the Pioneer Press on Dec. 15, when he insisted he would dispute the three misdemeanor charges against him for his role in the controversial boat party Oct. 6 on Lake Minnetonka. He also cast his support of backup quarterback Brad Johnson and said he expected to "end my career in Minnesota and win Super Bowls for the Vikings."
Culpepper, who Childress called "the franchise quarterback," has been conspicuously mum.
Although Culpepper is ahead of schedule, Ashe declined to put a timetable on his client's return. Culpepper told the Pioneer Press on Dec. 15, "I'll be playing definitely next season."
In March, Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus, and his base salary for 2006 is $2 million. His salary cap number is a team-high $9.421 million, according to NFL Players Association salary documents. The exact date Culpepper will receive the bonus is not known. But if the Vikings choose to release or trade him — the NFL trading period begins on March 3 — the team's accelerated salary cap charge would be about $5.6 million. That means the Vikings' net savings, for salary cap purposes, would be $2.4 million.
"Daunte is a premier player in the league,and the adjustment to his salary was warranted. We made an adjustment to recognize that," Brzezinski said when the team announced Culpepper's contract adjustment in August.
At the time, however, Ashe insisted that move was only a "temporary solution," noting he expected to have discussions with the Vikings about Culpepper's contract.
"It's a respectable gesture for now by the new owner," Ashe told the Pioneer Press on Aug. 7. "But there is still more work to be done."
That, however, was when all sides assumed Culpepper and the Vikings would fulfill their lofty preseason expectations. The Vikings were widely projected to run away with the NFC North, and Culpepper was projected to again contend for the Most Valuable Player award. But the Vikings struggled to a 2-5 start, with Culpepper throwing six touchdown passes against 12 interceptions. Then, just as his play improved, Culpepper suffered a season-ending knee injury that has cast doubt on his readiness for the 2006 season.
Childress also said he had a 45-minute telephone conversation last week with Culpepper — their first significant interaction since he was hired.

Displaced_Viking
01-19-2006, 09:32 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Agree. But the question is does the Vikings organization want him as their starter? There were questions on his performance and his healing...but beyond that and more important than those issues are his attitude. If he has a poohie attitude he is in no position to be a leader. With all the changes in the organization this year the team needs field generals that will build up the team chemistry. It appears to me that Daunte is not the man for the job...if what we're hearing from the press is true...which often is not the case.

I couldn't agree more. I felt like Brad did a much better job being a team leader than Daunte. I was at the game in Charlotte, in which Daunte got hurt, and I was very discouraged by his play, but very excited to see Brad come out and play. If I remember correctly, Daunte got hurt at the end of the first or beginning of the second quarter. Brad finished out the half being sacked two or three times and rushed countless times. I thought that after having to start down and pressured like that, he wouldn't do as well in the second half. And although his stats weren't great for that game, he stayed disciplined and handled the pass rush very well (he scrambled for positive yards a few times), which impressed me. Additionally, he had a big pass to set up the first Moore TD and then threw one in himself later, the only points of the game. I realize that the Panthers had that game in the bag by that point, but it was good to see him take over like that.

To give some credit to Daunte, he had just played a big game against Green Bay and might've "started turning things around" that game had he gotten the chance. Frankly, I don't mind if we lose him, but, as much as I don't like Culpepper, something tells me that with Matt Birk back next year and a bit better coaching, he could be a pro-bowler again. I don't think he will develop into any kind of leader unless Childress gives him an attitude adjustment.

NodakPaul
01-19-2006, 09:59 PM
"Displaced_Viking" wrote:

To give some credit to Daunte, he had just played a big game against Green Bay and might've "started turning things around" that game had he gotten the chance. Frankly, I don't mind if we lose him, but, as much as I don't like Culpepper, something tells me that with Matt Birk back next year and a bit better coaching, he could be a pro-bowler again. I don't think he will develop into any kind of leader unless Childress gives him an attitude adjustment.

Agreed. I think DC can and will be a probowler next year. I would prefer to keep him... but if a trade becomes inevitable, I hope we move fast so we can get the best deal possible, and so the team has time to accept the idea.

I just hope that if he is traded, we get what we deserve for him. Despite his crappy season, he is still one of the NFL's elite QBs.

Muggsy
01-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Pioneer Press poses da question: Do you think Daunte Culpepper deserves more money?
Here's da results so far:

Absolutely. 38 votes (2%)
Maybe a little more money. 109 votes (6%)
No way. 1126 votes (57%)
He's lucky he didn't get cut after last season. 704 votes (36%)

1977 people have voted so far.

Me, I voted, No way.

But snowinapril is right. Right now, it's all jus' spekul.... speckil.... it's all up inna air, y'know? Da media has got ta write sumpin', so dey do dat ting. Poisenally, I'd want Daunte startin', but, not if he's not physically and mentally all dere, y'know? His heart's gotta be poiple, or he can walk, y'know?

Displaced_Viking
01-19-2006, 10:20 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Agreed. I think DC can and will be a probowler next year. I would prefer to keep him... but if a trade becomes inevitable, I hope we move fast so we can get the best deal possible, and so the team has time to accept the idea.

I just hope that if he is traded, we get what we deserve for him. Despite his crappy season, he is still one of the NFL's elite QBs.

He might have done alright with the improved defense to rely on a bit. He needs to learn discipline and stop making so many turnovers (interceptions AND fumbles)! That could've negated any good he would've done with a good defense, but, of course, this is all speculation, a lot of coulda, woulda's.

sleepagent
01-19-2006, 10:28 PM
If he gets healthy, can quit fumbling & throwing forced passes for picks and lead the team . . . then sign him to the big bucks . . . otherwise adios!

2beersTommy
01-19-2006, 10:29 PM

"NodakPaul" wrote:

He might have done alright with the improved defense to rely on a bit. He needs to learn discipline and stop making so many turnovers (interceptions AND fumbles)! That could've negated any good he would've done with a good defense, but, of course, this is all speculation, a lot of coulda, woulda's.

dont forget shoulda

Prophet
01-19-2006, 10:41 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Culpepper's agent to begin negotiations
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:30:01 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper's agent is expected to begin "scheduled" contract negotiations with the team to make Culpepper one of the highest-paid players in the league.

collegeguyjeff
01-19-2006, 11:02 PM
"iluvbigtds" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

it's very suspicious because right after the vikings say oh culpepper is our man no matter what he wants more money. personally i'd just trade him draft a quarterback keep johnson as starter for atleast one year whlie you young quarterback develops cause im tired of culpepper wanting more and more money he's the one who signed the contract in 2003 too bad for him. he agreed to it and now cause more guys make more money than him now he wants more money screw culpepper.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-19-2006, 11:04 PM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

"iluvbigtds" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

it's very suspicious because right after the vikings say oh culpepper is our man no matter what he wants more money. personally i'd just trade him draft a quarterback keep johnson as starter for atleast one year whlie you young quarterback develops cause im tired of culpepper wanting more and more money he's the one who signed the contract in 2003 too bad for him. he agreed to it and now cause more guys make more money than him now he wants more money screw culpepper.

I couldnt have said any of this better. Well done.

PurplePackerEater
01-19-2006, 11:14 PM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

"iluvbigtds" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

Don't forget the Vikes just gave him MORE last offseason! I agree, it's getting rediculous. (I've rented one of those boats, they don't cost that much! :grin: )

collegeguyjeff
01-20-2006, 12:56 AM
yeah, the way i look at it he signed his contract in 2003, he had a great year then he wants more money. then he has a crappy year and pretty much wrecked his knee, then the vikings say culpepper is our man for sure. then all of a sudden out of the blue he wants more money again. what if we keep him? his knee can get wrecked and then we don't have a quarterback; he could have a great year soon then he will want more money again i say screw him and trade him we need someone we can rely on and not have to worry about that next hit could end his career in the middle of a playoff run and then there goes our season and he still gets paid his guranteed money. so he probably wants more guaranteed money incase he does wreck his knee worse cause then he will be set even more for life. greedy football players.

DoubleDown11
01-20-2006, 04:02 AM
give him a new contract, except have an incentive that docks him 100,000 dollars for every fumble, he will be playing for free!

Seriously, bad timing Pepper, I have been a big supporter in the past, but you had a terrible year and then were seriously injured. Just be glad to have a job!

LuckyVike
01-20-2006, 04:12 AM
No way do I think we should load C-Pep down with a big contract after the performance he put on in the first 7 games of the season and then suffered one of the worse knee injuries possible.

hovan
01-20-2006, 04:34 AM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

BY SEAN JENSEN
Knight Ridder Newspapers

The thing is a soon as someone signs a contract then within a period of time it's going to be overtaken by others, thats a fact of life in any sports field.
The report quotes 18 players have passed him since 2003 - thats not a lot when you consider that covers a 2 1/2 year period, there are 32 teams in the league and not all of those 18 players are QBs either. Some franchises are notorious for over paying on players and out of the 4 QBs quoted only one has shown provided any return for the money - Brady.

I'll agree that a ten-year deal was never going to run the full course and these days how many contracts do run the full term ? However to be looking at re-negotiating so soon, having had an adjustment in August, reminds me of a certain WR in Philly who did a similar thing.
This may be a way of his agent getting him out of Minny without losing face, as he can then blame the Vikes for being unreasonable. He might want to be careful though as, unless his client can prove that he will be an asset in the WCO and is fully fit, he could find out that no player is indispensable.

You said just what I am thinking....now what will happen with this charade

snowinapril
01-20-2006, 04:47 AM
According to the quotes, it was a "scheduled negotiation" that Wilf agreed to last summer. How is that holding the team hostage to put the team in position to trade him? How is that like TO?

This is the same unfair labeling that the press has been doing to DC since his injury.

collegeguyjeff
01-20-2006, 05:15 AM
i don't know why wilf would pay him more money, and if he does i will be mad. we can easily get a quarterback who doesn't fumble the ball all the time who can run our wco.

RandyMoss8404
01-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Cut him.

It's that simple. Don't trade him or waiver wire him, just cut him. Let BJ guide the team in 2005, draft the QB of the future.

ItalianStallion
01-20-2006, 06:23 AM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Cut him.

It's that simple. Don't trade him or waiver wire him, just cut him. Let BJ guide the team in 2005, draft the QB of the future.

Uhh, that might send the right message, but would be pretty boneheaded considering we could probably get at least a 1st rounder for him.

One thing that really annoys me about this, and often gets overlooked, is that this franchise took a HUGE gamble on Culpepper by signing him to a 10 year contract a year after he threw 23 INTs, fumbled constantly and let our team to a sterling 6-10 record. This is how he repays the franchise?

vIker44
01-20-2006, 06:30 AM
Pay him the money.... Period. Anything less would be stupid.... Could he "wreck his knee"??? Yep. As can ANY FREAKIN PLAYER IN THE NFL!!!!! SHEEESH PAY HIM THE MONEY, SONNY!!!!!!!!

vIker44
01-20-2006, 06:36 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

According to the quotes, it was a "scheduled negotiation" that Wilf agreed to last summer. How is that holding the team hostage to put the team in position to trade him? How is that like TO?

This is the same unfair labeling that the press has been doing to DC since his injury.

Yep... notice how long this Pepp bashing has gone on blaming Pepp for this scheduled negotiation.... instead of taking all facts into account people run their mouths..... As all here know I've been around the block a few times in different Viking newsgroups and Forums..... hate to say this at this point but the IQ of this one thus far is of the lowest, even worse than the completely unmoderated Usenet group.... You people really need to step it up a notch...... whew............

Webby
01-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Another fan who thinks only he has all the answers and is the intellectual elite. LOL

"You don't agree with me = screw you!" Love the logic.

ItalianStallion
01-20-2006, 06:52 AM
"vIker44" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Yep... notice how long this Pepp bashing has gone on blaming Pepp for this scheduled negotiation.... instead of taking all facts into account people run their mouths..... As all here know I've been around the block a few times in different Viking newsgroups and Forums..... hate to say this at this point but the IQ of this one thus far is of the lowest, even worse than the completely unmoderated Usenet group.... You people really need to step it up a notch...... whew............

The fact of the matter is that Culpepper doesn't deserve more money than he is making, so in that sense it is similar to the TO situation. Give me one good reason, other than "look at his 2004 season" why he deserves more money, especially considering the wad of cash he got in the summer for the admirable job he did this season.

ultravikingfan
01-20-2006, 07:01 AM
"vIker44" wrote:

As all here know I've been around the block a few times in different Viking newsgroups and Forums..... hate to say this at this point but the IQ of this one thus far is of the lowest, even worse than the completely unmoderated Usenet group.... You people really need to step it up a notch...... whew............

http://sk1pper.com/those_who_care.bmp

How in the hell do we know you from any other newb with a big mouth?

To me, you know as much as a brick.

Do use a favor, deflate your head pal. :roll:

LuckyVike
01-20-2006, 07:02 AM
"vIker44" wrote:

Pay him the money.... Period. Anything less would be stupid.... Could he "wreck his knee"??? Yep. As can ANY FREAKIN PLAYER IN THE NFL!!!!! SHEEESH PAY HIM THE MONEY, SONNY!!!!!!!!

Could he wreck his knee?? Where have you been... under a rock? He probably already did. Why give him a ton of money when he hasn't proven he can live without Moss, nor has he proved he'll be able to overcome this major injury...

RK.
01-20-2006, 07:07 AM
Maybe Wilf scheduled a negotiation with Pep to see about cutting back on his contract. :cool: Lets see...ummmm.... Pep won 2 games last year and he is getting a $6 million pay check in a couple of months. :???: If Pep can't run how much is he worth a year? Personally I don't think Pep will be starting for us at the beginning of the season next year.

LuckyVike
01-20-2006, 07:17 AM
"vIker44" wrote:

As all here know I've been around the block a few times in different Viking newsgroups and Forums..... hate to say this at this point but the IQ of this one thus far is of the lowest, even worse than the completely unmoderated Usenet group.... You people really need to step it up a notch...... whew............

Step it up a notch? Is this a serious post? Well, Mr. Big Head, how about you take yourself back to one of those great websites because we're a fun group of guys around here that know a good bit about what we're talking about. Just because we don't agree with you doesn't make us fools and you automatically right. Do me a favor and never forget this because it'll help prevent you from looking like such a FOOL in the future.

Just because someones opinion differs from that of yours, doesn't automatically mean you're right and they're wrong. You may want to start trying to see things from the other sides perspective.

I'm guessing on your other little sites everyone was as small minded and foolish as you are. Ya'll don't break things down and weigh the negatives and positives of certain things. I'm guessing when you saw that the Vikings might not resign C-pep you went into fits. How about before you say, OH GOD CULPEPPER IS GOD... RESIGN HIM BECAUSE HE WAS SO GOOD. Check this out, in 7 games he led us to 2-5 and he led the league in interceptions. He proved to me that I couldn't trust in him to continue is pro-bowl career without a reciever like Randy Moss. That's one reason we need to hesitate before loading C-Pep with money.

Another reason is the fact that he destroyed his knee. He suffered one of the worst knee injuries possible and may miss some games next season it was so severe, hell, some sources say the injury was nearly career ending if it wasn't.

Now think about this, does it make any sense to load a QB down with money that has all these things working against him? Also, we're now running the West Coast Offense(WCO) which nobody is for sure C-Pep could handle running due to the fact that the QB has to read defenses very well which C-Pep sucks at doing. There's going to be some good players hit the market this offseason at the QB position that would probably run the WCO better than C-Pep.

Now I have two words for you Mr. IQ... Below me.

ItalianStallion
01-20-2006, 07:22 AM
Yah, besides my IQ is 136...according to an online quiz :).

LuckyVike
01-20-2006, 07:29 AM
Well shoot, Viker was on in the fan forums just now but he got off, I was hoping he'd try to respond to this and argue then I could shoot him down again but I guess he realized how idiotic he looked. Hopefully he won't show himself again...

ultravikingfan
01-20-2006, 07:30 AM
"LuckyVike" wrote:

Well shoot, Viker was on in the fan forums just now but he got off, I was hoping he'd try to respond to this and argue then I could shoot him down again but I guess he realized how idiotic he looked. Hopefully he won't show himself again...

Yeah, it makes me upset when somebody says something kinda edgy and never replies.

Go figure. :roll:

jimmymac
01-20-2006, 07:35 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Yeah, it makes me upset when somebody says something kinda edgy and never replies.

Well, you still have me. :grin:

vIker44
01-20-2006, 07:42 AM
Welp, instead of clicking on multiple quotes I shall answer all in one shooting match:

webmaster
Another fan who thinks only he has all the answers and is the intellectual elite. LOL
"You don't agree with me = screw you!" Love the logic.

Webby, don’t see where I’m using the logic you apply here….. just trying to raise the bar a little… you have to admit that these geeks jumped the gun far too quickly… this negotiation has been scheduled previously and the yakk went on far too long blaming Pepp for it…

ItalianStallion
The fact of the matter is that Culpepper doesn't deserve more money than he is making, so in that sense it is similar to the TO situation. Give me one good reason, other than "look at his 2004 season" why he deserves more money, especially considering the wad of cash he got in the summer for the admirable job he did this season.

First off your Avatar is offensive to me… but hey, it’s a free nation and we are all God’s children…. guess you believe this is a one man game….. true that our offensive line stunk this early season with our starting center Birk out??? No true starter till mid season was rushed to the rescue….. heck, Pepp was running for his life on nearly every down plus zero holes for our runners…. add one of the dumbest coaches ever in the NFL to the mix..... but this is lost on someone that believes it’s a one man game…… NEXT:

Ultravikingfan
How in the hell do we know you from any other newb with a big mouth?
To me, you know as much a brick.
Do use a favor, deflate your head pal.

???? You actually trying (and failing badly) to smack talk??? gimme a break, duder…. And wowsers!!!!! I’m soooo impressed you can post pics…… whew….. NEXT:

LuckyVike
Could he wreck his knee?? Where have you been... under a rock? He probably already did. Why give him a ton of money when he hasn't proven he can live without Moss, nor has he proved he'll be able to overcome this major injury...

uhhh, duder, we are all aware of his past season injury….. we are talking ABOUT NEXT SEASON……. So please keep up with the discussion…… fact is he’s had a very successful surgery and will be back ready to roll close to his earlier health…. the guy is barely coming into his prime….. far too early to write him off, duder……. As far as proving he can “live without Moss” backup Brad did just fine with a revamped offensive line and better chemistry from our re-arranged receivers, albeit against weak teams…. NEXT!!!!!!!!!!

LuckyVike
Step it up a notch? Is this a serious post? Well, Mr. Big Head, how about you take yourself back to one of those great websites because we're a fun group of guys around here that know a good bit about what we're talking about. Just because we don't agree with you doesn't make us fools and you automatically right. Do me a favor and never forget this because it'll help prevent you from looking like such a FOOL in the future.
Just because someones opinion differs from that of yours, doesn't automatically mean you're right and they're wrong. You may want to stay trying to see things from the other sides perspective.
I'm guessing on your other little sites everyone was small minded and foolish as you are. Ya'll don't break things down and weigh the negatives and positives of certain things. I'm guessing when you saw that the Vikings might not resign C-pep you went into fits. How about before you say, OH GOD CULPEPPER IS GOD... RESIGN HIM BECAUSE HE WAS SO GOOD. Well try this on, in 7 games he led us to 2-5 and he led the league in interceptions. He proved to me that I couldn't trust in him to continue is pro-bowl career without a reciever like Randy Moss. That's one reason we need to hesitate before loading C-Pep with money.
Another reason is the fact that he destroyed his knee. He suffered one of the worst knee injuries possible and may miss some games next season it was so severe, hell, some sources say the injury was nearly career ending if it wasn't.
Now think about this, does it make any sense to load a QB down with money that has all these things working against him? Also, we're now running the West Coast Offense(WCO) which nobody is for sure C-Pep could handle running due to the fact that the QB has to read defenses very well which C-Pep sucks at doing. There's going to be some good players hit the market this offseason at the QB position that would probably run the WCO better than C-Pep.
Now I have two words for you Mr. IQ... Below me.

Guys, is it necessary to try to smack talk??? (I mean you called me a "Big Head" and that really truly oooly hurts sooo bad :twisted: ) You know this is not the direction we need to go in…. plus I’d mop anyone in here up like a rag doll and you already know that for an absolute fact…… so, “Lucky”, keep in mind this negotiation was not called for by Pepp and he will be an elite QB as he was in 04…. It’s a team game, duders, don’t forget it….. we are in good shape to take the next step up next season…. let’s not jetizon a Pro Bowl elite type QB in chase of ghosts…. simply pay him the mula and move on……

vIker44
01-20-2006, 07:45 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"LuckyVike" wrote:

Well, if I had no life like you I guess I could give you instant feedback.... as it is I work and play..... so I'll take me time in replying..... IF that's OKEY DOKEY witch yo bad self????? :razz:

cajunvike
01-20-2006, 07:56 AM
"vIker44" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

If it's so bad, why do you even bother spending your time here?

Deronn
01-20-2006, 08:08 AM
="vIker44" "ultravikingfan" wrote:

"LuckyVike" wrote:

Well, if I had no life like you I guess I could give you instant feedback.... as it is I work and play..... so I'll take me time in replying..... IF that's OKEY DOKEY witch yo bad self????? :razz:

You "work and play" at 11:45pm? What, was there a mad rush for hotdogs and gas at the Quickie Mart, or just time to clean the Slurpie machine again?

Or did it take you the 1 hr 6 min between your posts just to come up with all the garbage in your response.

Furthermore, I've been on most of the other "major" Vikings sights tonight to read more opinions on the issue. I couln't find one where a majority of the posters feel that Daunte is crazy for asking for $$. I guess I couldn't find the site you're normally on.

You obviously don't like it here. It won't break any of our hearts if you don't come back.

jimmymac
01-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Vikings Insider: Tensions rise over Culpepper contract

The Vikings, their QB and his agent -- for now -- are at odds over promises that might or might not have been broken.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/194196.html

snowinapril
01-20-2006, 09:10 AM
"vIker44" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"LuckyVike" wrote:

You didn't rip me so you are good in my book.

No seriously, I think you have made some seriously good points, well worth the read. You took a ribbing and dished it out too.

Not that it seems like you will care too much, but you will do well here, just please post a bit more before chiming in like you did in your first post in this thread. Your approach was like a guy running into a bar full of drunken Packer Fans and saying the Packer Suck and Favre Blows Sheep.

Keep Posting!

The DC subject has rubbed me a little raw also but there is no reason to wig out over it. There is a lot of negativity surrounding it and it is for one hard for me to believe. I think how Moss was abruptly traded last year was difficult for all (most) of us. Because of it I think we have been building a wall around out DC emotions.

I think you are right about having him is a lot better than chasing a ghost. Look at the Bears, Lions Cards, Niners, Miami, Jets, Bills, Texans, Saints, Oakland, and a few others, they all would love to have DC. A team can waste many years looking for the Guy that can play in this league.

digital420
01-20-2006, 11:33 AM
All of this talk for the revamping of the contract was pre planned back in the begining of the year. DC is not coming outta now where and saying ... "I want more money" (like TO did so please don't compare those as the same) .

As for him, think it this way too.. he want to know as a gaurentee that he will be back and the man behiend the center. would you? if your struggeling and forcing yourself to rehab through pain, tension and reading all the bs cretics thrashing your name.. wouldn't u be a bit.. concerned?

nothing i have read so far says to me he wants to be traded.. (if he does come out and say it.. i'll eat the cooked crow from soemone) and as things have come so far he even seems to NOT wanna be like the t.o. flamer.. he's bitching at his agent for his statements.. he's trying to go directly to the ownership and say his peace.

For everyone that is also over and over stating that just becuase he had what 7 games and played poorly in what 5 / 4 of them? that he should be dropped / traded? or that he is not the pro bowler we've seen for years???

remember.. how many GREAT games / years he's had? ok.. don't take all the blame off him for his bad play.. but don't give it ALL to him either.. it's still a team sport, B.J did well. but even he lost games.. Tell me you think he did great against the giants? had we lost that game it would be chants of bring back DC not HAIL BJ

DC is an Elite QB.. and he is the anchor i'd like to see hoist the purple and gold to the S.B.

DiGiTaL

Prophet
01-20-2006, 01:43 PM
"vIker44" wrote:

...plus I’d mop anyone in here up like a rag doll and you already know that for an absolute fact…

Funny. Not one of your thoughts is unique. Similar comments to yours have been posted dozens of times by members of this board.

Think before you crown yourself the king. The 'peasants' will get restless and stage a coup d'état. Many on this board could put you through the ringer faster than your little sister can interpret these lines for you.

Step it up vIker44, it is readily apparent that for you there is nowhere to go but up.

ultravikingfan
01-20-2006, 01:47 PM
"vIker44" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"LuckyVike" wrote:

Nice comeback. You have all the time in the world after school I guess. Just another troll trying to strut his stuff around men. Does not take much to put idiots like you where you belong.

singersp
01-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Posted on Fri, Jan. 20, 2006

Vikings may trade Culpepper

BY CHARLEY WALTER
SPioneer Press

It now seems that the Vikings will trade troubled quarterback Daunte Culpepper to the highest bidder, which could be Oakland or Baltimore, in early March. The Raiders have the No. 6 pick and the Ravens No. 13 in April's draft. Arizona and Miami also could be in the running. Raiders owner Al Davis has an affinity for reclamation projects.

Moving Culpepper for at least a first-round draft pick and a bona fide starter would solve the Vikings' quarterback conflict, allowing Brad Johnson, who would be 38, to start in coach Brad Childress' West Coast offense next season. The Vikings then would have to use a first-round pick to draft a QB to develop and sign a veteran backup, perhaps free agent Chris Weinke of the Carolina Panthers and St. Paul.

You have to wonder whether Culpepper's recent 45-minute phone conversation with Childress went sour.

singersp
01-20-2006, 01:54 PM

Latest ploy proves Vikings are still screwy

Apparently, Daunte Culpepper also tore a ligament in his head. Just in case you thought a new coach meant an end to the traditional Minnesota Vikings nuttiness, Culpepper's agent, Mason Ashe, stepped forward with a reminder that some things never change.

After seven games in which he played like garbage, and after a career-threatening injury, Culpepper is ready to have his contract renegotiated. Upward.

Oh, yes, he'll get a big raise -- just as soon as Fred Smoot receives that cornerback of the year trophy. Seriously, you have to love the Vikings.

Coaches and owners come and go, yet Minnesota's team remains the benchmark for screwball franchises everywhere. Where else would a player attempt to renegotiate after such a disastrous season?

New coach Brad Childress inadvertently walked into a trap with Culpepper. He arrived in town and repeatedly praised him as the franchise quarterback and designated him the man to lead his new offense. His comments no doubt contributed to Daunte's belief that he had some sort of contract leverage.

It was a rookie mistake by the coach. He'll learn. Remember: Never say anything that can and will be used against you in a court of law, or at the cashier's window.

Meanwhile, team owner Zygi Wilf corrected Childress on Thursday by pointing out that the Vikings had two franchise quarterbacks in Culpepper and Brad Johnson. In other words, Culpepper is not invaluable.

All this time we wondered why Culpepper was avoiding Childress as if he were a reporter wanting to ask Love Boat questions. Now we know. Daunte was gearing up to play contract hardball.

Let's see, Culpepper was the second-best quarterback on the team last year, has a surgically repaired knee that remains a question mark, and is facing misdemeanor charges as a result of the infamous Lake Minnetonka cruise.

Heck, yeah, this is a good time to ask for a raise. The bottom line is that this will become a major headline-grabbing crisis before it's all over. I know that it's hard for many of you to envision the Vikings having an off-the-field distraction. It's just so unlike our guys.

But this is where we're heading as sure as a Vikings offensive lineman is jumping offside in a pickup game somewhere as you read this.

Clearly Childress expects Culpepper to take part in the offseason program, which begins in late March. The line in the sand has been drawn. And we're off and running toward the 2006 season.

Culpepper and his agent apparently feel as though they were promised a renegotiation. As you might recall, the quarterback skipped a day of training camp last August in protest of his financial situation. Wilf, a wide-eyed innocent at the time, coughed up $7.5 million in guaranteed money to make him happy.

It had to be his worst investment ever. Culpepper went directly into the tank and never surfaced. He was brutal from the start.

The timing of all this borders on the comically absurd. This is like former Twins second baseman Bret Boone announcing after his 10th consecutive strikeout: "I'm poised and ready to renegotiate now."

It's like Mike Tyson laying flat on his back on the canvas saying: "I'll need a few more million for my next fight." Say one thing for Culpepper: He's got guts. Anyone who attempts to renegotiate a contract after such a dismal season must have a lot of nerve. It isn't his entire fault, however. He has been coddled since he came to Minnesota.

For a while, former offensive coordinator Scott Linehan pretty much fed him, burped him and put him to bed at night. Then Mike Tice took over whispering in his ear how special he is.

No question Culpepper did some great things with the Vikings. A skeptic might want to see if he can do them again before writing another big check. He couldn't do them last year, even when he was healthy.

I'm just glad to see that the Vikings remain as screwy as ever. All the expensive suits roaming around Winter Park worried me. Now I can see there was no cause for concern.

Prophet
01-20-2006, 01:54 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings may trade Culpepper

BY CHARLEY WALTER
SPioneer Press

It now seems that the Vikings will trade troubled quarterback Daunte Culpepper to the highest bidder, which could be Oakland or Baltimore, in early March. The Raiders have the No. 6 pick and the Ravens No. 13 in April's draft. Arizona and Miami also could be in the running. Raiders owner Al Davis has an affinity for reclamation projects.

Moving Culpepper for at least a first-round draft pick and a bona fide starter would solve the Vikings' quarterback conflict, allowing Brad Johnson, who would be 38, to start in coach Brad Childress' West Coast offense next season. The Vikings then would have to use a first-round pick to draft a QB to develop and sign a veteran backup, perhaps free agent Chris Weinke of the Carolina Panthers and St. Paul.

You have to wonder whether Culpepper's recent 45-minute phone conversation with Childress went sour.

It wasn't the conversation that went sour, it was the fact that they did it by phone. A clue. It appears that Culpepper never had any intention of sticking around based on reading between the lines of all the garbage the press is throwing at us.

A first round draft from Oakland would get the Vikes within striking distance of some top-shelf candidates in the draft.

singersp
01-20-2006, 01:58 PM

Agent says Culpepper didn't OK commentsAshe seeks to clarify contract remarks

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

One day after saying Daunte Culpepper is prepared to begin scheduled contract restructuring, his agent said the Vikings quarterback did not authorize him to comment on negotiations or to seek more money from the team.

"Daunte's primary focus is on rehabilitating his knee," Mason Ashe said Thursday of Culpepper, who tore three ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30 against the Carolina Panthers.

Ashe said he wanted to clarify any misconceptions regarding Culpepper's contract status. In August, the Vikings gave Culpepper an extra $7.5 million in guaranteed money in restructuring his 10-year, $102 million deal signed in May 2003. Ashe said that he, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski agreed to discuss further restructuring after the 2005 season.

Culpepper, whose base salary for 2006 is $2 million, is due a $6 million roster bonus in March.

On Thursday Ashe said: "I have never forewarned a team about negotiating with me at some point or another, in my 15 years in the business. That is not what I said nor my style of representation."

Ashe said he wants to make sure the team will not misconstrue his comments.

"In no way do I want to disrespect or threaten the Vikings about what they have to do with any of their players, because I'm aware that they will do what's in the best interest of their team," Ashe said.

Wilf refused to discuss Culpepper's contract status Thursday.

"I don't think it's anyone else's business," Wilf said. "It's between us and them. I have nothing to say on that."

Sean Jensen can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.

Del Rio
01-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Well at least Viker44 gave me a good chuckle this morning.

"Everyone here knows this about me...."

"Everyone here knows that I can mop the floor......"

The fact of the matter is no one here knows you bud, and I am willing to bet no one gives a shit either.

LMAO! I've never seen such a prick, trying to inflate his own E-peen this way. Somewhat creative and yet still very sad and depressing. Lay off the twinkies, go get some sunshine.

SamDawg84
01-20-2006, 02:55 PM
For a while, former offensive coordinator Scott Linehan pretty much fed him, burped him and put him to bed at night. Then Mike Tice took over whispering in his ear how special he is.

that part cracked me up

Prophet
01-20-2006, 04:13 PM
CULPEPPER MIGHT FIRE AGENT
20 January 2006
pft.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

On Thursday, The St. Paul Pioneer Press quoted agent Mason Ashe regarding his desire to promptly commence negotiations aimed at finagling even more money for quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who otherwise has committed contractually to the Vikings through 2013.

"I am poised and ready to begin the scheduled restructuring of his long-term contract with the Vikings, as we discussed last summer with Mr. Wilf, so Daunte can assume the position on the NFL pay scale that he so deserves," Ashe said.

Now, The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Culpepper was "livid" (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/194196.html) with Ashe regarding his comments, and that Culpepper might fire him.

As a result, Ashe has backpedaled faster than Deion Sanders after stumbling into the theater during a Brokeback Mountain love scene.

"I have never forewarned a team about negotiating with me at some point or another, in my 15 years in the business," Ashe said Thursday, according to The Pioneer Press. "That is not what I said nor my style of representation (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/13666918.htm)."

The Star Tribune also reports that Culpepper recently tried to get negotiations started on his own by sending a letter to several members of the organization, requesting a meeting. When Culpepper arrived, V.P. Rob Brzezinski was the only team official present, and Brzezinski politely told him that there will be no further negotiations at this time.

This one, then, officially is a full-blown clusterfudge. Kudos to the Vikes for refusing to put more money on the table. We hope that the team will continue to take a hard line if Culpepper continues to think that a pathetic performance in 2005 and a horrific knee injury from which he may or may not fully recover merits more money.

stjmnsota
01-20-2006, 04:21 PM
IMO, Culpepper has had a couple of very good seasons. But so has Tommy Maddox, Trent Dilfer, Chris Chandler...you get my point. Is he a superstart? Potentially, has he proven what Mannin has, that he can be a conistent superstar? Now let's take into consideration the blown knee.

Perhaps Culpepper has higher pay coming to him, or should I say should have been paid more based on some of the other QBs out there mentioned in the article, but is it fair to compare Daunte to Manning or Brady? Vick maybe, but Vick's all that the Falcons have.

I say negotiate, but don't bank on this QB to be worth the money. I say prove consistency, durability and improvement before you get paid. Yes Daunte deserves fair compensation for what he has done (I am not a big DC fan) but what that pay is I am not so sure. Contingent upon performance this year with a new and I think will be better offense?

MnFan_in_Canada
01-20-2006, 04:23 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

CULPEPPER MIGHT FIRE AGENT
20 January 2006
pft.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

On Thursday, The St. Paul Pioneer Press quoted agent Mason Ashe regarding his desire to promptly commence negotiations aimed at finagling even more money for quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who otherwise has committed contractually to the Vikings through 2013.

"I am poised and ready to begin the scheduled restructuring of his long-term contract with the Vikings, as we discussed last summer with Mr. Wilf, so Daunte can assume the position on the NFL pay scale that he so deserves," Ashe said.

Now, The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Culpepper was "livid" (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/194196.html) with Ashe regarding his comments, and that Culpepper might fire him.

As a result, Ashe has backpedaled faster than Deion Sanders after stumbling into the theater during a Brokeback Mountain love scene.

"I have never forewarned a team about negotiating with me at some point or another, in my 15 years in the business," Ashe said Thursday, according to The Pioneer Press. "That is not what I said nor my style of representation (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/13666918.htm)."

The Star Tribune also reports that Culpepper recently tried to get negotiations started on his own by sending a letter to several members of the organization, requesting a meeting. When Culpepper arrived, V.P. Rob Brzezinski was the only team official present, and Brzezinski politely told him that there will be no further negotiations at this time.

This one, then, officially is a full-blown clusterfudge. Kudos to the Vikes for refusing to put more money on the table. We hope that the team will continue to take a hard line if Culpepper continues to think that a pathetic performance in 2005 and a horrific knee injury from which he may or may not fully recover merits more money.

Wow. I, too, am glad to hear they aren't going to throw more money his way (at the moment). I can see him getting more money if he comes back next year and shows that there are no lingering effects of the injury and he can execute the WCO.

In all honesty, I can see this situation getting real ugly very quickly. Lets just hope he doesnt put himself before the team...

Del Rio
01-20-2006, 04:26 PM
"digital420" wrote:

All of this talk for the revamping of the contract was pre planned back in the begining of the year. DC is not coming outta now where and saying ... "I want more money" (like TO did so please don't compare those as the same) .

As for him, think it this way too.. he want to know as a gaurentee that he will be back and the man behiend the center. would you? if your struggeling and forcing yourself to rehab through pain, tension and reading all the bs cretics thrashing your name.. wouldn't u be a bit.. concerned?

nothing i have read so far says to me he wants to be traded.. (if he does come out and say it.. i'll eat the cooked crow from soemone) and as things have come so far he even seems to NOT wanna be like the t.o. flamer.. he's bitching at his agent for his statements.. he's trying to go directly to the ownership and say his peace.

For everyone that is also over and over stating that just becuase he had what 7 games and played poorly in what 5 / 4 of them? that he should be dropped / traded? or that he is not the pro bowler we've seen for years???

remember.. how many GREAT games / years he's had? ok.. don't take all the blame off him for his bad play.. but don't give it ALL to him either.. it's still a team sport, B.J did well. but even he lost games.. Tell me you think he did great against the giants? had we lost that game it would be chants of bring back DC not HAIL BJ

DC is an Elite QB.. and he is the anchor i'd like to see hoist the purple and gold to the S.B.

DiGiTaL

Actually,

"While agreeing to the $8 million bump last summer, Wilf said he would revisit the contract at the end of the season.

"We will consider it on a year-to-year basis," Wilf said in August of Culpepper's original 10-year, $102 million deal. Relative to the business of the NFL, where players' salaries are based almost exclusively on their performance the previous season, no one can blame Wilf for deciding against another raise."

Basically in a nutshell from sifting through all this garbage is Culpepper tried to get a meeting together to discuss his contract renegotiation. Only Berenski showed up even though Culpepper invited everyone to come. And Rob said NOPE.

COJOMAY
01-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Sound to me like only Wilf and Brezynski have their heads screwed on right while DC and his agent are howling at the moon!

"While agreeing to the $8 million bump last summer, Wilf said he would revisit the contract at the end of the season.
"We will consider it on a year-to-year basis," Wilf said in August of Culpepper's original 10-year, $102 million deal. Relative to the business of the NFL, where players' salaries are based almost exclusively on their performance the previous season, no one can blame Wilf for deciding against another raise."
Looks like there was never a raised promised to me as DC's agent contends.

"I don't think it's anyone else's business," Wilf said. "It's between us and them. I have nothing to say on that."
Good for you Wilf. Keep your cards close to the table.

whackthepack
01-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Hopefully Culpepper realizes the error of his request and will come out and say the right things and concentrate on healing and stop being a bltch!
If we can get teams to think we want him yet maybe we can get more for him in a trade, because I think the Vikes are done with him and I think it is just a matter of when we trade him or cut him!

Sorry Pep but you have nobody to blame but yourself for this, you have been pouting and you are the one who called the meeting trying to get more money after having a terrible year before you got hurt and then blew out a knee. You had at least 8 million coming your way if you kept your mouth shout, but you either do not want to play here or are not smart enough to realize that the situation had changed!

So I think off you go and if we could get one of the Oakland draft picks I think we should take it and run!

Viker44, you said the Vikes should give him a raise because they said they would revisit the contract at the end of the year! C-pep would be lucky if they went through with what he has left on the contract! And after how bad he played those first 7 games he is lucky that they are not cutting his pay or cut him already with his childish attitude since the injury!

COJOMAY
01-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Culpepper, Johnson to battle in training camp, owner says
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Training camp is about six months away, but Vikings owner Zygi Wilf is looking forward to a surprising position battle: at quarterback.

Though there are concerns about his readiness, incumbent starter Daunte Culpepper will not automatically retain the No. 1 spot over Brad Johnson, Wilf said.

"One thing I've learned in this league, no one is handed anything," Wilf said Thursday. "You've got to compete for your job, and you have to fight hard for it. If it's a given, you lose that spirit. … I would hope that when they both come in, that they're both at 110 percent … and they know they're fighting for their jobs. You can't ask for anything more than to be in that position."

Neither Culpepper nor Johnson is likely to be traded this offseason, Wilf said.

"I think having both of them together is the best weapon that we can have going forward. And having them compete against each other on a constant basis is even better."

Culpepper and Johnson were unavailable for comment, and their agents, Mason Ashe and Phil Williams, respectively, declined comment.

Culpepper, who tore three ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30 against the Carolina Panthers, is rehabbing after surgery. Johnson was 7-2 as the Vikings starter after Culpepper's injury.

Wilf said he is not bothered by reports of Johnson's desire to be No. 1.

"Sure, Brad wants to be a starting quarterback. I wouldn't expect anything less of him," Wilf said. "That's why he's a great leader. That's why he has a Super Bowl ring, because he always has that spirit. And I will not say to him that 'you can't compete,' because that would hurt everyone. So therefore, I welcome and look forward to this training camp. I think it's great for both of them, really. It sets them up to a higher level."

Wilf added the "competitive spirit" would help both players.

"It's always great to have that," Wilf said. "I think there's always room, in fact a necessity, to always have a competitive spirit, and I'm proud to say that we have two of the best quarterbacks in the league competing against each other. Who could ask for anything more?"

Wilf reiterated that Culpepper is a "franchise quarterback." But he added... "I've got two franchise quarterbacks, OK? That's how I look at it.,"

"When you talk about quarterbacks in the plural, this team has the franchise quarterbacks. As you can see around the league, especially last year, you never know. It's very tough to stay healthy, at that position, for a full year. You never know when things will happen. If you don't have that person that can step up..."

Wilf didn't finish that thought. But after the Vikings started 2-5 with Culpepper, the Vikings rallied when Johnson took over. The Vikings won six consecutive games with Johnson and finished 9-7 to narrowly miss the playoffs.

"With what Brad exhibited with his leadership, I wouldn't bet against Brad in the competitive role. He's the ultimate competitor," Wilf said. "You'll see the best of him, in competing for the quarterback position."

Asked if he would address Johnson's or Culpepper's contract this offseason, Wilf said, "I won't comment on contracts."

Still, Wilf wants to ensure both players are around for the long haul.

"We're in an envious positions," Wilf said. "Our team has what I would say is the franchise quarterback combination in the league. You have to look upon that nowadays, because things change on a weekly basis."

Hummmm, does this answer any questions we have?

whackthepack
01-20-2006, 05:58 PM
I do not buy it, they are trying to get in a better position to trade C-Pep, but the way he has been acting his trade value dropped and they are trying to get it back-up! A few days ago Wilf said it was up to the head-coach, so if that statement was true then Childress gets to decide if he wants to keep either, or both of them.

snowinapril
01-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the find.

This is what I had in the back of my mind all along.

Both QBs can pout, whine, complain and apparently compete about their positions all they want but the fact is they are both under contract. If we had salary cap issues this year, it might be an issue, but we don't so it won't.

Like I said in an earlier post, with what happened last year with the abrupt trading of Moss, I think we as Viking Fans will have a tendency not to rule out other unthinkable possibilities. But you have to try to take the owners word to heart and believe him. He is not the same owner we had last year.

I am all for this. Even before DC's injury, I think it was Del that said it wouldn't hurt for DC to have to compete for his job, because it might help him play better.

cajunvike
01-20-2006, 06:10 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Well at least Viker44 gave me a good chuckle this morning.

"Everyone here knows this about me...."

"Everyone here knows that I can mop the floor......"

The fact of the matter is no one here knows you bud, and I am willing to bet no one gives a pooh either.

LMAO! I've never seen such a prick, trying to inflate his own E-peen this way. Somewhat creative and yet still very sad and depressing. Lay off the twinkies, go get some sunshine.

And we ALL know what Del brings to the table!!! :grin:

If you don't like it here, DUDER, don't let the cyberdoor hit you on your cyberbutt on the way out!

Muggsy
01-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Dis I got from a Miami newspaper...
===============================================
QB EQUATION

Whomever is the new offensive coordinator obviously will have large input as well in how Miami upgrades itself at quarterback, whether by obtaining a proven veteran or spending a first-round draft pick.

There are more options with a veteran. Daunte Culpepper, David Carr and Drew Brees all have been rumored as possibly gettable. Each is worth investigating, hard. Miami has strong bargaining options, with the draft's No. 16 overall pick, running back Ricky Williams and (if Owens is acquired) maybe receiver Marty Booker as chips.

I'd give up a first-round pick to land Culpepper, Carr or Brees. I'd only do that to get an in-his-prime QB to whom you'd be comfortable entrusting a good chunk of the franchise's future.

Wouldn't do that for an unproven talent such as Philip Rivers. Definitely wouldn't for a guy in decline (Steve McNair), a guy never that good (Aaron Brooks) or somebody else's backup (Billy Volek).

If Miami can't trade for a step-right-in starter clearly better than Gus Frerotte, then Saban should trade up from 16th and select Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler. Might take a move into the lower top 10 to get him.

Plenty of guys at positions where Miami needs help likely will be available around 16th, including tackles Marcus McNeil of Auburn and Winston Justice of USC and versatile Texas defensive back Michael Huff.

You want bold, though?

Bold is swinging a major deal for somebody such as Culpepper, or trading up to get Cutler. Bold is the dice-roll that would be signing T.O. Bold is seeing if Martz, who did so in St. Louis, can take existing weapons and these new parts and make Miami's offense something it hasn't been in 20 years:

The talk of the NFL.

You want bold?

You've got a head coach with the brass to do bold. If he wants to.

DCPologirl
01-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Neither Culpepper nor Johnson is likely to be traded this offseason, Wilf said. "I think having both of them together is the best weapon that we can have going forward. And having them compete against each other on a constant basis is even better."

That's the best thing I have heard since the season ended. I love it. Why wouldn't we keep them both ? We ARE in an enviable position. We DO have two of the best quarterbacks in the league. No let's get our O Lin together and we are set! SKOL VIKINGS! :hello1:

cajunvike
01-20-2006, 08:14 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

Neither Culpepper nor Johnson is likely to be traded this offseason, Wilf said. "I think having both of them together is the best weapon that we can have going forward. And having them compete against each other on a constant basis is even better."

That's the best thing I have heard since the season ended. I love it. Why wouldn't we keep them both ? We ARE in an enviable position. We DO have two of the best quarterbacks in the league. No let's get our O Lin together and we are set! SKOL VIKINGS! :hello1:

YOU GO GIRL!!! :grin:

DCPologirl
01-20-2006, 08:17 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

YOU GO GIRL!!! :grin:

:banana:

ryanmurphy
01-20-2006, 08:27 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Cut him.

Uhh, that might send the right message, but would be pretty boneheaded considering we could probably get at least a 1st rounder for him.

One thing that really annoys me about this, and often gets overlooked, is that this franchise took a HUGE gamble on Culpepper by signing him to a 10 year contract a year after he threw 23 INTs, fumbled constantly and let our team to a sterling 6-10 record. This is how he repays the franchise?

This is a great point... Did everyone see his "beyond the glory" a couple years ago? The moral of the whole damn show loyalty and how he always rewarded the ones who stood beside him. Maybe thats the problem. Maybe he thinks no one in Minny is standing beside him any more.

Untill the day comes that I can afford to buy the Vikes, I am just going to trust that Wilf and Childress are doing what they think is best for the team. I may not always agree with it, but I have no choice but to go along with it...

jimmymac
01-20-2006, 09:04 PM

The date of the payout, Culpepper's knee condition, his on-field regression and his alleged involvement in an Oct. 6 sex party have all but eliminated Culpepper's leverage with the team. For that reason, said an agent who spoke on the condition of anonymity, Culpepper's actions seem like a textbook attempt to force a divorce. How else to explain why Culpepper wants a raise of his $2 million base salary for 2006, one that is low for a Pro Bowl quarterback but not for one that threw twice as many interceptions (12) as touchdowns (6) in 2005 before tearing three knee ligaments?

While agreeing to the $8 million bump last summer, Wilf said he would revisit the contract at the end of the season.

"We will consider it on a year-to-year basis," Wilf said in August of Culpepper's original 10-year, $102 million deal. Relative to the business of the NFL, where players' salaries are based almost exclusively on their performance the previous season, no one can blame Wilf for deciding against another raise.

Wilf's ownership group already has treated Culpepper with more respect than some believe he has earned. They have given him liberal use of their private planes, sought him out for personal meetings near his home in Orlando, and even arranged for limited partner Reggie Fowler to be in the recovery room of an Alabama hospital when Culpepper underwent surgery Nov. 15.

In return, Culpepper has turned down the Vikings' request to rehabilitate in Minnesota and then refused to meet face-to-face with new coach Brad Childress.

How will it all turn out? Culpepper has little trade value, and his only leverage is to hold out of minicamps and possibly training camp -- even after receiving the $6 million bonus.

It seems the Vikings have two choices. They could cut their losses and jettison him for next to nothing. Or they could cross their fingers and hope Childress, Wilf and other team officials can talk Culpepper off his ledge. In betting terms, it's a bad field either way.

NodakPaul
01-20-2006, 09:14 PM
The only part I disagree with is that Culpepper has little trade value. His value has gone down from last year, but to say that he has little or none is silly.

ryanmurphy
01-20-2006, 09:17 PM
"jimmymac" wrote:

It seems the Vikings have two choices. They could cut their losses and jettison him for next to nothing. Or they could cross their fingers and hope Childress, Wilf and other team officials can talk Culpepper off his ledge. In betting terms, it's a bad field either way.

3rd choice... Bench his ass till he grows up.

mewario
01-21-2006, 05:05 AM
On XTRA Sports 570 today they were talking about how the Raiders were getting ready to offer the 1st round pick (is it 6th or 7th?) to the Vikings for Daunte Culpepper...obviously you guys have already heard this, but just thought you all might want to know that they talked about it on sports radio as well. They thought that it would be a great move for the Raiders. Last year they also brought up the Moss trade before it happened, and it did go through even though I thought "no way in hell".. but that's another story.

I know you guys felt before that Culpepper has no value right now, but that's not true, especially with this rumor afloat. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

You know, as much as it pains me, I'm all for it.. Daunte Culpeper should not be asking for a raise, especially not to be paid on the highest level after last year's performance, and coming back from injury.

We might as well as trade him, pick Jay Cutler (2005 SEC player of the year) and Laurence Maroney in the first round, and let our defense carry us. If not Maroney, then Michael Huff or Darnell Bing to be our SS. If we can win with Brad Johnson at QB, imagine having some talent there.. I'm tired of players whining about money when they don't produce.

snowinapril
01-21-2006, 05:32 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Agent says Culpepper didn't OK commentsAshe seeks to clarify contract remarks

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

One day after saying Daunte Culpepper is prepared to begin scheduled contract restructuring, his agent said the Vikings quarterback did not authorize him to comment on negotiations or to seek more money from the team.

"Daunte's primary focus is on rehabilitating his knee," Mason Ashe said Thursday of Culpepper, who tore three ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30 against the Carolina Panthers.

Ashe said he wanted to clarify any misconceptions regarding Culpepper's contract status. In August, the Vikings gave Culpepper an extra $7.5 million in guaranteed money in restructuring his 10-year, $102 million deal signed in May 2003. Ashe said that he, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski agreed to discuss further restructuring after the 2005 season.

"COJOMAY" wrote:

Culpepper, Johnson to battle in training camp, owner says
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Training camp is about six months away, but Vikings owner Zygi Wilf is looking forward to a surprising position battle: at quarterback.

Though there are concerns about his readiness, incumbent starter Daunte Culpepper will not automatically retain the No. 1 spot over Brad Johnson, Wilf said.

"One thing I've learned in this league, no one is handed anything," Wilf said Thursday. "You've got to compete for your job, and you have to fight hard for it. If it's a given, you lose that spirit. … I would hope that when they both come in, that they're both at 110 percent … and they know they're fighting for their jobs. You can't ask for anything more than to be in that position."

Neither Culpepper nor Johnson is likely to be traded this offseason, Wilf said.

Oh well, there are plenty of articles like this to read in this thread.

There is still lots of talk about this for such fine reporting.

Wilf said no trade.

Ashe said DC isn't looking for more money.

sleepagent
01-21-2006, 05:36 AM
DC had 7 years here and didn't get it done. We've got a QB that can lead us for a couple more years, while another develops, and has been to the big game. Dump his overpriced salary and let him fail in Oakland.

vikeswin2005
01-21-2006, 06:02 AM
oakland is like 30 million over the cap next year already

SamDawg84
01-21-2006, 06:13 AM
"sleepagent" wrote:

DC had 7 years here and didn't get it done. We've got a QB that can lead us for a couple more years, while another develops, and has been to the big game. Dump his overpriced salary and let him fail in Oakland.

wat about last year? didnt he lead us to the playoffs and throw over 4000 yards and throw 39 tds? and it was our D fence that costed us in the playoffs

snowinapril
01-21-2006, 06:33 AM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

"sleepagent" wrote:

wat about last year? didnt he lead us to the playoffs and throw over 4000 yards and throw 39 tds? and it was our D fence that costed us in the playoffs

good post samdawg84!

I love it when a plan comes together!

ejmat
01-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Actually our offense cost us in the playoffs last year just as much as the defense did.

briboy75
01-21-2006, 06:58 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

Actually our offense cost us in the playoffs last year just as much as the defense did.

you are crazy... our offense was amazing in 2004... our defense flat out sucked.

mewario
01-21-2006, 06:59 AM
Do you even remember watching the playoff game last year? Daunte's passes were off target all game long, easy passes, long passes, it didn't matter, he wasn't getting it done. Don't say it was the defense that cost us, it was both.

Our offense was amazing all year long, except it fell apart in the final playoff game all the same as the Eagles took us out with ease.

briboy75
01-21-2006, 07:08 AM
the offense was great against the packers. the offense carried the team all last year. you are right thought about the eagles game. they game planed against us very well and that did seem to confuse daunte.

snowinapril
01-21-2006, 07:24 AM
"mewario" wrote:

Do you even remember watching the playoff game last year? Daunte's passes were off target all game long, easy passes, long passes, it didn't matter, he wasn't getting it done. Don't say it was the defense that cost us, it was both.

Our offense was amazing all year long, except it fell apart in the final playoff game all the same as the Eagles took us out with ease.

It was everything that game.

COACH, Special Teams(kicker that couldn't kick more than 35 yards), Philly's D, our lack of D, our lack of O.

We went for it once when we should have kicked but we had no confidenc our kicker would make it. We tried the stupid trick play that got botched, instead of kicking another time. I would not try to pin that game on one thing, especially DC.

DC and the O played great in that GB playoff game, as well as the D. It was an all around ass kicking and a huge turn around from the Xmas day game that we lost to GB in the dome, which we had a lot of O that day, but little D.

pokeyisme
01-21-2006, 07:32 AM
ANY TIME YOU GUYS WANT TO TELL ME THAT "I TOLD YOU SO" GO AHEAD. DC IS GONE!!!! A TIME IN WHICH WE WILL GET A NEW QB AND SOME ONE WITH A PROVEN TRACK THAT WILL LEAD US TO A SUPER BOWL.

P.S i have never seen so many ban wagon jumpers in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!
last week you are all like "i love culpepper" now is like i hope he gets his attitude right. GET YOUR S@#T TOGETHER AND STICK WITH A PROGRAM!!!!!! I still say the same thing "trade DC and get a new QB"

The "I TOLD YA SO" link will be posted when the trade happens or DC goes to another team> also trash me if you will but i am right and your not DC is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

DCPologirl
01-21-2006, 07:40 AM
:crybaby:

snowinapril
01-21-2006, 07:48 AM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

He is going to make me cry, don't say that Pokey or I won't play no more.

DCPologirl
01-21-2006, 07:50 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

Thank you for making me laugh again lol this is going to be an awfully long offseason :sad:

snowinapril
01-21-2006, 07:55 AM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

Thank you for making me laugh again lol this is going to be an awfully long offseason :sad:

Not if we are winning.

Especially not if we are winning with PEP.

If we are losing with BJ yes.

Especially if we are losing with PEP.

WINNING CURES ALL! except Ron Mexico

DCPologirl
01-21-2006, 08:22 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

Not if we are winning.

Especially not if we are winning with PEP.

If we are losing with BJ yes.

Especially if we are losing with PEP.

WINNING CURES ALL! except Ron Mexico

:crybaby: and :violent3:

njpurple
01-21-2006, 03:22 PM
If I were management I would laugh right in the face of Pep's agent & say YGTBFKM

ultravikingfan
01-21-2006, 03:50 PM
"pokeyisme" wrote:

ANY TIME YOU GUYS WANT TO TELL ME THAT "I TOLD YOU SO" GO AHEAD. DC IS GONE!!!! A TIME IN WHICH WE WILL GET A NEW QB AND SOME ONE WITH A PROVEN TRACK THAT WILL LEAD US TO A SUPER BOWL.

last week you are all like "i love culpepper" now is like i hope he gets his attitude right. GET YOUR S@#T TOGETHER AND STICK WITH A PROGRAM!!!!!! I still say the same thing "trade DC and get a new QB"

The "I TOLD YA SO" link will be posted when the trade happens or DC goes to another team> also trash me if you will but i am right and your not DC is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

http://sk1pper.com/noone_cares.jpg

Webby
01-21-2006, 06:51 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"pokeyisme" wrote:

http://sk1pper.com/noone_cares.jpg

Who is that tool?

ejmat
01-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Briboy you want to insult me and call me crazy? Did you watch the game against Philly that we lost. I didn't say anything about the season. I said our offense lost the game in the playoffs as much as the defense. Said nothing about the 2004 season. Read everything before you insult people.

Wiggles67
01-21-2006, 07:33 PM
haha that was good stuff...thanks mods :lol:

ejmat
01-21-2006, 07:44 PM
I've been saying all allong it would be a good thing to entertain trade talks for Pep. The issue now has worsened and we may get nothing for him. We may have to cut him. I defintaly do not think Pep deserves a raise. I'm not hating on him but come on. 12 INTs, 6 TDs and 2-5 record and a knee injury he may never recover from. Yes he had a great year in 2004 but that year is far and gone. I love the way he played but the bottom line is he never learned how to control the clock and he loses confidence when he gets blitzed. Please try and argue that. Even in 2004 when teams started blitzing him he had difficulties.

Bottom line is yes our defense sucked in 2004 but with better ball control it could have lessened the load on the defense. Part of that is coaching because they should know how to properly teach ball control and call the right plays. Ball control was not learned.

sleepagent
01-22-2006, 02:37 AM
Trade DC to Baltimore for their 1st round pick & Jamal Lewis. We can go just as far with Brad Johnson (atleast for the next couple of seasons), but we need to draft a future QB or sign one.

SamDawg84
01-22-2006, 02:40 AM
"sleepagent" wrote:

Trade DC to Baltimore for their 1st round pick & Jamal Lewis. We can go just as far with Brad Johnson (atleast for the next couple of seasons), but we need to draft a future QB or sign one.

how about no. we could just sign jamal

Tanner_QBRB8
01-22-2006, 02:41 AM
If we can get a 30 touch a game back and daunte is heather he will be fine our defense will be top 10 next year so i am thinking we are going to be pretty good not great that will come in time but pretty good

briboy75
01-22-2006, 02:43 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

Briboy you want to insult me and call me crazy? Did you watch the game against Philly that we lost. I didn't say anything about the season. I said our offense lost the game in the playoffs as much as the defense. Said nothing about the 2004 season. Read everything before you insult people.

wow. settle down. maybe i shouldn't have called you crazy, but don't take it too seriously. i'm sorry if i insulted you. i stand by everything else i said.

NordicNed
01-22-2006, 03:26 AM
Is it me or is the Offseason Cabin Fever already starting to settle in around here?...

Also, I love how we get more members to sign up during the off season than we do during the regular season....go figure..

gregair13
01-22-2006, 04:28 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Is it me or is the Offseason Cabin Fever already starting to settle in around here?...

Also, I love how we get more members to sign up during the off season than we do during the regular season....go figure..
that is strange. i think we all will go crazy before the season starts.

ejmat
01-22-2006, 05:26 AM
Ok Bri. Sorry I got defensive. I'm settled now.

Prophet
01-24-2006, 12:55 PM
KFFL
Ravens | Newsome says no Culpepper talks have taken place
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:46:56 -0800

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Monday, Jan. 23, there have been no trade talks between Ravens and the Minnesota Vikings involving Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper. The Ravens are looking for a veteran to compete with QB Kyle Boller or back him up, which could prove difficult considering the free agent market in March should be bleak. Newsome indicated the linking of Culpepper to the Ravens is purely rumor. There had been talk that the Ravens could trade CB Chris McAlister for Culpepper, but McAlister's contract might make that improbable. Asked if McAlister would be on the team next season, Newsome said, "Chris is a member of the Baltimore Ravens."

singersp
01-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Damn it Prophet, you beat me again! My morning dump didn't go as smoothly as yours.

Anyways, here's a little more info on the article;

Ravens dismiss interest in Culpepper

Newsome: no talk about deal for QB

By Jamison Hensley
Baltimore Sun reporter
Originally published January 24, 2006

Dismissing speculation that the Ravens have shown interest in Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper, general manager Ozzie Newsome said yesterday that there have been no trade talks between the two teams.

The Ravens are looking for a veteran to compete with Kyle Boller or back him up, which could prove difficult considering the free-agent market in March should be bleak.

If Culpepper is available - there has been increasing tension between the Vikings and their three-time Pro Bowl quarterback - he would be among the best options for the Ravens.

But Newsome indicated the linking of Culpepper to the Ravens is purely rumor.

"I don't anticipate [any talks]," Newsome said from Mobile, Ala., the site of this week's Senior Bowl.

When free agency begins, the top names in a thin group are: Jon Kitna, Jeff Garcia, Charlie Batch, Jamie Martin and Kurt Warner. The quarterbacks who could become salary cap casualties (Steve McNair, Kerry Collins and Aaron Brooks) would improve the class slightly.

That's why Culpepper is so intriguing despite his current baggage.

Culpepper, who will turn 29 at the end of this month, could miss the start of next season after tearing three ligaments in his right knee on Oct. 30. It's widely considered a yearlong injury.

He is also facing misdemeanor charges for his role in the Vikings' infamous "Love Boat" sex cruise.

In light of these problems, Culpepper recently campaigned for a new contract after turning down the Vikings' request to rehabilitate in Minnesota and refusing a face-to-face meeting with new coach Brad Childress. The Vikings have a proven replacement in Brad Johnson, who was 7-2 as the starter after Culpepper's injury.

Before blowing out his knee, Culpepper had the worst season of his six-year starting career. He threw six touchdown passes and 12 interceptions without traded top receiver Randy Moss, suspended leading rusher Onterrio Smith and injured Pro Bowl center Matt Birk.

Still, he is one season removed from producing 4,717 yards passing and 39 touchdowns. He also set an NFL record for combined yardage passing and rushing (5,123).

Culpepper's situation could be cleared up around March 14, when he is due $6 million in bonuses. If the Vikings decide to cut him at that point, it would severely hurt his value by keeping him off the free-agent market for nearly two weeks (the time when most teams use a bulk of their cap space).

The Oakland Raiders, Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams and Miami Dolphins could all have interest in Culpepper.

Asked if the Ravens want to have a veteran quarterback in place by the first couple of weeks in March, Newsome said: "It's when we get the right player, so it could be through trade, draft or free agency. We've got to utilize every possibility that we can."

The Ravens had a chance to land Culpepper in the 1999 draft, but Newsome decided to select cornerback Chris McAlister with the 10th overall pick. The Vikings then drafted Culpepper one pick later.

There had been talk that the Ravens could trade McAlister for Culpepper, but McAlister's contract might make that improbable. McAlister, a two-time Pro Bowl player, seemed uninterested for most of last season, which some suggested irked the organization.

Newsome said he has heard the reports that the Ravens are unhappy with McAlister.

"Speculation, speculation, speculation," he said.

Asked if McAlister would be on the team next season, Newsome said, "Chris is a member of the Baltimore Ravens."

jamison.hensley@baltsun.com

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens24jan24,1,7129897.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

singersp
01-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Reunited:

"Amid speculation that Daunte Culpepper could be traded this offseason, Oakland Raiders receiver Randy Moss said he would welcome a reunion with the quarterback.

"I will welcome Daunte with anything that I do, on the field or off the field," Moss said on "The James Brown Show," on Sporting News Radio. "It would be up to me and him to make it work, and I think that the success we had in Minnesota is why we can make something like that work.

"One thing I have come to figure out is that this game that we play has gotten me and Daunte kind of distant. But you know, I think about reuniting us, or something like that, and taking it to another level," Moss said on the show. "I'm not saying (Culpepper) is going to become a Raider, but if there was any interest in bringing him to Oakland, I've got my arms open to anybody who wants to come out here and win a Super Bowl. That's what I'm working for."

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/football/nfl/minnesota_vikings/13695749.htm

singersp
01-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Give Ashe credit: No 'next question'

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-greene24b06jan24,0,5159217.column?coll=orl-sports-col

singersp
01-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Culpepper's future is talk of league

Will smoke lead to fire in consecutive years for the Vikings?

Kevin Seifert
Star Tribune

Last update: January 24, 2006 – 12:41 AM

Last year at this time, the NFL was ablaze with trade rumors concerning receiver Randy Moss. Despite vigorous denials from the Vikings, Moss was traded to Oakland in mid-February.

These days, the possibility of another major departure -- this time, quarterback Daunte Culpepper -- has become the talk of the league. While team officials say they have not even hired the person who would play a significant role in the decision, Culpepper's name already has surfaced in Baltimore and Oakland, while some believe St. Louis and Arizona could have interest as well.

Although no trade could officially be consummated until March 3, the Vikings could entertain offers and agree in principal at any time. Although owner Zygi Wilf said last week that Culpepper and backup Brad Johnson would remain on the roster, Culpepper caused ripples in the organization earlier this month by twice seeking a raise on his 2006 contract.

Culpepper is scheduled to get $6 million in bonuses March 14 and, in addition, has a $2 million base salary for the season.

Some of the heaviest speculation has centered around Baltimore, where incumbent Kyle Boller has not been guaranteed the starting job in 2006. On Monday, Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome told the Baltimore Sun that he had not spoken with the Vikings about Culpepper but did not rule out the possibility.

"Just like in free agency, we've got to utilize every possibility we can to get better," Newsome told the Sun.

Meanwhile, Moss said Monday on Sporting News Radio that he would welcome Culpepper in Oakland despite the pair's differences during their final year together in 2004.

"One thing I have come to figure out," Moss said, "is that this game that we play has gotten me and Daunte kind of distant. But, I think about reuniting us, or something like that, and taking it to another level. I'm not saying he is going to become a Raider, but if there was any interest in bringing him to Oakland, I've got my arms open to anybody who wants to come out here and win a Super Bowl. That's what I'm working for."

The Vikings don't figure to finalize their strategy until after hiring the third part of their decision-making triangle. As of Monday afternoon, the Vikings were not believed to have asked permission to interview Denver director of pro personnel Rick Smith -- the last of their known candidates who has yet to either interview or decline an opportunity to speak about their personnel director job.

Whether or not Smith interviews, the Vikings hope to have a decision made by the end of the week.

Etc.

• Rumors continued to circulate that Culpepper planned to fire agent Mason Ashe. As of Monday, however, Culpepper had not filed dismissal papers with the NFL Players Association. If that occurs, union rules would require Culpepper to wait five business days until hiring a new agent, according to an NFLPA spokesman.

ultravikingfan
01-24-2006, 02:43 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Culpepper's future is talk of league

Kevin Seifert
Star Tribune

Last update: January 24, 2006 – 12:41 AM

Last year at this time, the NFL was ablaze with trade rumors concerning receiver Randy Moss. Despite vigorous denials from the Vikings, Moss was traded to Oakland in mid-February.

These days, the possibility of another major departure -- this time, quarterback Daunte Culpepper -- has become the talk of the league. While team officials say they have not even hired the person who would play a significant role in the decision, Culpepper's name already has surfaced in Baltimore and Oakland, while some believe St. Louis and Arizona could have interest as well.

Although no trade could officially be consummated until March 3, the Vikings could entertain offers and agree in principal at any time. Although owner Zygi Wilf said last week that Culpepper and backup Brad Johnson would remain on the roster, Culpepper caused ripples in the organization earlier this month by twice seeking a raise on his 2006 contract.

Culpepper is scheduled to get $6 million in bonuses March 14 and, in addition, has a $2 million base salary for the season.

Some of the heaviest speculation has centered around Baltimore, where incumbent Kyle Boller has not been guaranteed the starting job in 2006. On Monday, Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome told the Baltimore Sun that he had not spoken with the Vikings about Culpepper but did not rule out the possibility.

"Just like in free agency, we've got to utilize every possibility we can to get better," Newsome told the Sun.

Meanwhile, Moss said Monday on Sporting News Radio that he would welcome Culpepper in Oakland despite the pair's differences during their final year together in 2004.

"One thing I have come to figure out," Moss said, "is that this game that we play has gotten me and Daunte kind of distant. But, I think about reuniting us, or something like that, and taking it to another level. I'm not saying he is going to become a Raider, but if there was any interest in bringing him to Oakland, I've got my arms open to anybody who wants to come out here and win a Super Bowl. That's what I'm working for."

The Vikings don't figure to finalize their strategy until after hiring the third part of their decision-making triangle. As of Monday afternoon, the Vikings were not believed to have asked permission to interview Denver director of pro personnel Rick Smith -- the last of their known candidates who has yet to either interview or decline an opportunity to speak about their personnel director job.

Whether or not Smith interviews, the Vikings hope to have a decision made by the end of the week.

Etc.

• Rumors continued to circulate that Culpepper planned to fire agent Mason Ashe. As of Monday, however, Culpepper had not filed dismissal papers with the NFL Players Association. If that occurs, union rules would require Culpepper to wait five business days until hiring a new agent, according to an NFLPA spokesman.

Ha haa!

Magicci beat you to it!

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18222 :shock:

singersp
01-24-2006, 02:49 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Ha haa!

Magicci beat you to it!

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18222 :shock:

Except he should have posted it here instead of starting a new (approx. the 15th) DC thread this past week!

Besides, his thread topic title only refers to the last tiny paragraph in the article.

"PEP TO FIRE AGENT" Makes for a bitch of a search & the title doesn't reflect upon the article title. :wink:

singersp
01-27-2006, 01:19 PM
From NFL.com;

No new deal or trade likely for Culpepper

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

Rumors continue following Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper the way controversy did this season.

Yet according to Vikings officials, it is highly unlikely they will deal Culpepper this offseason.

It is even more unlikely that the Vikings will redo Culpepper's contract, which has a preposterous nine years remaining on it. Should the Vikings redo the deal now, then what is the sense of a team ever signing a player to an extension?

With a trade almost impossible, count on Daunte Culpepper playing for the Vikings next season.

But fans care a lot more about any potential trade than a contract redo. For now, the Vikings are doing nothing. They haven't even discussed it. They recently assembled their front office and coaching staff, they need to study Culpepper, and then, even if they were willing to deal their quarterback -- which is hardly a certainty -- they would have to find a team willing to give up a boatload of compensation for a player coming off reconstructive knee surgery.

Again, highly unlikely.

The good part for the Vikings is that Culpepper is said to be ahead of schedule in his rehab with his knee injury. But the Vikings want Culpepper to spend his offseason conditioning, and further rehabbing, in Minnesota.

This is how the team is thinking now, which is why no trade is even close. But at this time last year, a trade for wide receiver Randy Moss wasn't close, either.

This is the intrigue of the offseason.

Video: Schefter goes Around The League
(Jan. 26, 2006);
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9190721

jordy
01-27-2006, 02:19 PM
good news finally! i just hope he stays

whackthepack
01-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Like the last part said, this time last year nobody thought they would trade Randy either and I believe the team even said they were not going to trade Randy when in fact they already had a deal in principle with the Raiders and were just waiting tell the could announce it!

I would not be so sure as to say they well not trade C-pep, I think a lot has to do with how C-pep acts over the next couple of weeks! If he still wants to renegotiate his contract and doesn't start acting like a leader on the team then he could be traded!

ChezPizmo
01-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Do we know or has he said that he actually WANTS to stay or not?

MnFan_in_Canada
01-27-2006, 04:48 PM
"ChezPizmo" wrote:

I haven't heard or seen anything from DC that has confirmed or denied his desire to stay put. Right now all the speculation is being driven by the media.

Ltrey33
01-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Well that's some good news posted above by Singer! I hope it's right.

DCPologirl
01-27-2006, 05:36 PM
"ChezPizmo" wrote:

LMAO Chez your sig is a riot! I love it!

cajunvike
01-27-2006, 06:37 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ChezPizmo" wrote:

Daunte has stated his latest contract demand...he wants to be paid almost as much as Peyton Manning (due to him just missing out on the MVP award last year that Peyton won)...PLUS he wants a date with DCPologirl to sweeten the pot...he said that "any woman that has DC, my initials, in front of her name is destined to be mine...and I will not be denied!" :lol:

ultravikingfan
01-27-2006, 08:12 PM
That is great news about Pep!

I am just not ready to part with him yet. I still believe he can be an elite QB like he used to be and that this year was just a wrinkle in the time/space contimium.

http://www.irontrybe.com/forum/images/smilies/rockon.gif

singersp
02-06-2006, 01:25 PM
From Sporting News

Inside Dish: Vikings want Culpepper back next season

Posted: February 5, 2006

If QB Daunte Culpepper isn't with the Vikings next season, it won't be because the team doesn't want him. Coach Brad Childress wants Culpepper back, and the team is intent on keeping him.

Childress has liked Culpepper since he saw him work out for the Eagles when Culpepper was coming out of Central Florida in 1999. Childress ranked Culpepper as the second-best quarterback in that draft, ahead of Tim Couch, Akili Smith and Cade McNown but behind Donovan McNabb.

Now Childress wants to see whether he can help Culpepper become more consistent. The only way Culpepper will not be in Minnesota is if Culpepper doesn't want to be there. . . .

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=59759

DCPologirl
02-06-2006, 11:27 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ChezPizmo" wrote:

Daunte has stated his latest contract demand...he wants to be paid almost as much as Peyton Manning (due to him just missing out on the MVP award last year that Peyton won)...PLUS he wants a date with DCPologirl to sweeten the pot...he said that "any woman that has DC, my initials, in front of her name is destined to be mine...and I will not be denied!" :lol:

Um as much as I love Daunte....two things......he is too young for me. And I do not date married men silly!

cajunvike
02-06-2006, 11:37 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ChezPizmo" wrote:

Um as much as I love Daunte....two things......he is too young for me. And I do not date married men silly!

But he said that he would leave his wife for you!!! :cry:

And that he is wise beyond his years! :grin:

DCPologirl
02-06-2006, 11:39 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ChezPizmo" wrote:

But he said that he would leave his wife for you!!! :cry:

And that he is wise beyond his years! :grin:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

nogathomasmillarddoleman
02-07-2006, 12:14 PM
"Rastak" wrote:

He's gotta be kidding, right? The guys tears up his knee about as bad as you can and he wants to get paid as one of the best in the league....this after his worst season ever? If I were the Vikings front office and finally stopped laughing I'd say "okay, I get the point, you want to be traded and this is your cover story"

Very nice. Well put.

stjmnsota
02-07-2006, 06:54 PM
"iluvbigtds" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

Only 18 players are in better contracts than CPEP? I can think of more players than that I would rather see in purple than Daunte.

He hasn't shown to be the superstar or do for the Vikes what Manning has done for the Colts or what Vick has done for the Falcons (although I am not impressed with Vick as a QB either). The point is, DC is under contract, he is injured, he is coming off a terrible season (not to mention the boat charges) and his career has been less than stellar with the exception of one or two years. I say pay him his bonus at best or let him walk. If we can get a trade, which is unlikely, then do it.

D4Vikes
02-07-2006, 10:40 PM
All this is, is a PR blitz. He knows he's gone he is telling the rest of the league that he's out there. There is no way you can come off a season ending nearly career ending injury nearly 3 years deep in a 10 year contract and demand more money.

He's pulling a T.O. and it is going to get worse if the Vikes don't deal him before his bonus.

stjmnsota
02-07-2006, 11:25 PM
"D4Vikes" wrote:

All this is, is a PR blitz. He knows he's gone he is telling the rest of the league that he's out there. There is no way you can come off a season ending nearly career ending injury nearly 3 years deep in a 10 year contract and demand more money.

He's pulling a T.O. and it is going to get worse if the Vikes don't deal him before his bonus.
IMO you are exactly right. Seems like he waited one year too long to do this though. Unless he is trying to cover his butt witht he injury, charges filed against him and the fact that Brad stepped in and did very well this year as a TEAM leader.

singersp
02-08-2006, 02:47 AM
"stjmnsota" wrote:

Only 18 players are in better contracts than CPEP? I can think of more players than that I would rather see in purple than Daunte.

Where's your source for that information?

stjmnsota
02-08-2006, 05:05 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"stjmnsota" wrote:

Where's your source for that information?
I must have tagged the wrong quote. Someone mentioned 18 player were better. Maybe I misunderstood what was said. Can't find who it was now. If wrong, how many players are paid more/less?