PDA

View Full Version : MORE Johson drama...

VikingsTw
01-16-2006, 06:42 AM
Vikings: Johnson says he wants to start
Johnson tells ESPN
Last update: January 15, 2006 – 9:39 PM

Speaking publicly for the first time since the regular season ended, Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson told ESPN that he wants to start --for someone -- in 2006.
He confirmed the essence of a Star Tribune report that he prefers not to return to the Vikings as a backup to presumptive starter Daunte Culpepper. Johnson, who completed 62.6 percent of his passes with 12 touchdowns and four interceptions in 2005, said on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" he believes he can start for another three or four more years.

Johnson has three years remaining on a contract he signed last March.

Culpepper is recovering from major surgery to his right knee, and it is not known whether he will be healthy enough to open the season as starter. Perhaps acknowledging that fact, Johnson told ESPN, "These things have a way of working themselves out."
[hr]

I'm not sure but i thought Childress said there was no issue here, looks like we got some issue.

Ltrey33
01-16-2006, 07:05 AM
Childress denied his trade request earlier. So unless Johnson does something drastic like holds out, he's here next year.

olson_10
01-16-2006, 07:07 AM
hahaha what a complete moron..he did play well, but il take the potential 5000 yards and 38 TDs with pep over johnsons typical season stats any day

xlb57
01-16-2006, 07:16 AM
Is he serious? Who in their right minds would take him on as their starter for a few more years. Let's be honest, I am as huge a season ticket holding, Vikings freak fan as the next guy, but the TEAM stepped up during his win streak and the teams we played were not all that good in reality. He is kidding.......right?

PurpleManiac
01-16-2006, 07:22 AM
If B-Rad wants to go, lets trade him and try to get some picks out of it....there are alot of young QB's that we can easily develope behind Daunte. (DJ Shockley)

PurplePumpkin
01-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Daunte is the man!

olson_10
01-16-2006, 07:46 AM
defense and special teams won all those games for us..not brad johnson..just put dauntes arm in there with this defense playing at full speed, a bruising back that we will attain through FA or the draft, and a solid o line, and that should lead to a killer season..the only place brad could go to start would be buffalo, miami, cleveland, arizona..and i dont think that any of those teams will be anywhere near the playoffs next year

vIker44
01-16-2006, 08:02 AM
"PurpleManiac" wrote:

If B-Rad wants to go, lets trade him and try to get some picks out of it....there are alot of young QB's that we can easily develope behind Daunte. (DJ Shockley)

Unlikely any team would give any trade value for Johnson... Best to let him go forth and find his own way.... Tons of other backups, some much better than he is at this stage..........

olson_10
01-16-2006, 08:04 AM
"vIker44" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

Unlikely any team would give any trade value for Johnson... Best to let him go forth and find his own way.... Tons of other backups, some much better than he is at this stage..........
i couldnt agree more..that would also free up a little more cash for us..jon kitna and some other guys out there will be looking for backup jobs, we can cash in on a capable new backup easily..by the way i couldnt agree more with ur sig, smoots game is UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGLLLLLLYYYY

ItalianStallion
01-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Brad Johnson has no leverage. He needs to deal with the fact that he isn't going anywhere, unless he can convince other teams to trade for more than he is worth.

gregair13
01-16-2006, 08:25 AM
his career is almost over. a few teams might take him, but they would've to be desperate to start him at qb.

cc21
01-16-2006, 08:29 AM
Brad is not good enough to take control of a game like Daunte. Back in the day he probably could but not anymore. The only way for him to survive in the league is to be on a team with a great defense and running game. IMO He should not want to go to another team and want to start. I just don't think he is good enough.

DPep11
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Trade his ass, it never goes back to normal once a player starts some kind of controversy. :mad:

midgensa
01-16-2006, 09:32 AM
I think Brad and his agent just want the right to seek a trade without breaking any contracts they have signed (normally only the team can seek a trade). If he can find something, great ... but I think he will likely be here next season ...
To be fair he is nearing the end of his career and thinks he can cut it ... I would be as desperate as him if I thought I only had a couple of years left and I might be backing up ... I think when he came here he thought he was almost done ... I think now he thinks he can do it a couple of years.

digital420
01-16-2006, 01:44 PM
I fully believe B.J can start on a team.. can he lead them to a SuperB? not on his own.. but with a well rounded team he should be able to do lots!!

(course so should any NFL QB!!)

now.. what the best thing in my eyes for B.J to help the vikes?

Help D.C~!!!!! help him through the recovery.. help him gain insight into the WestCoast O.. help him judge D's better.. help him understand the count before the throw.. .

If brad was smart.. he'd be pushing for more of a mentor role on a team.. and try to get into the QB coaching before his name gets forgotten!!!

he's good, he can lead a team.. but for how long? 1 - 2 years? after that it's pepsi commercials and used car lot promotional gigs!!

DiGiTaL

collegeguyjeff
01-16-2006, 03:45 PM
hmm lets see here, randall cunningham and jeff george had a good year with our team then they wanted to be starters and make more money then did nothing when they left. we all know there was a reason johnson got released from tampa; he isn't worth the money.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Johnson may not be worth the money, but he is already under contract so he woulnd't cost us anymore. If Pep does get traded and we draft a young QB, I can think of worse quarterbacks to mentor a rookie.

Muggsy
01-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Agent: Johnson didn't ask for trade
BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

Brad Johnson's agent reacted with surprise Sunday to an ESPN report that Vikings coach Brad Childress had turned down the quarterback's trade request.

"I didn't know that there was a trade request," agent Phil Williams said. "All I know is what I've said all along. Brad wants to be a starter and deserves to be a starter in this league."

Johnson made those feelings known recently to the Vikings, but Williams has denied that there was any trade request.

Childress, who has committed to Daunte Culpepper as his No. 1 quarterback, was unavailable for comment Sunday.

"I'm sure he has no intent to trade Brad, and we have not requested a trade," Williams said. "At the same time, he does want to be a starter."

Johnson led the Vikings to a 7-2 record in their final nine games last season after Culpepper suffered a season-ending knee injury.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tice time: Former Vikings coach Mike Tice is scheduled to interview today for the New York Jets' head-coaching vacancy.

Jets officials met Sunday with New England Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini, the reported frontrunner for the position.

The Jets also have interviewed former New Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett, former St. Louis Rams interim coach Joe Vitt, New York Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis and three of their own assistants — offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger, defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson and special teams coach Mike Westhoff.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cottrell fans: Former Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell is being touted as a candidate for Buffalo's head-coaching job by former Bills quarterback Jim Kelly and defensive end Bruce Smith.

Cottrell said he appreciates the support but has no interviews set up at this time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aiming high: Childress, asked last week what type of running back best fits his West Coast offense, jokingly replied, "How about if I said LaDainian Tomlinson?"

But seriously, folks...

"No, you want a guy who can run between the tackles and be able to catch the football," Childress said. "You want a guy that's well-rounded."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Briefly: Childress said he would hold one veterans minicamp two weeks before the April 29-30 NFL draft and plans a physical training camp, with some type of scrimmage every day.

Prophet
01-16-2006, 06:46 PM
This controversy will continue until we know the status of Culpepper. Who knows what's in the hopper this offseason. Whatever happens is exciting as a Vikes fan, pros and cons no matter how it all works out regarding the QB position.

===============================================

KFFL
Vikings | Agent says again B. Johnson did not request a trade
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:35:01 -0800

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports agent Phil Williams once again denied a report stating Minnesota Vikings QB Brad Johnson asked new Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress to trade him. "I didn't know that there was a trade request," Williams said. "All I know is what I've said all along. Brad wants to be a starter and deserves to be a starter in this league." Johnson made those feelings known recently to the Vikings, but Williams has denied that there was any trade request.

ultravikingfan
01-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Brad knows his role.

He signed here as a back up, and if he wants to start he will have to compete for it.

Tanner_QBRB8
01-16-2006, 07:10 PM
I hope Brad knows that if he leaves no real team will want him cause all the good team have a great QB if he leaves he definetly wouldnt get as good as a recieving core as he does in Minnesota that would be a terrible move for Brad and it certainly wouldnt help the Vikes out that much

Jkurtkrauss
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
The NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" leauge. Apparently all of you Brad bashersaren't keeping up with current events and didn't see the season I saw.

C-Pep: 2-5...BJ: 7-2.

Cullpepper was horrendus! I was at the Cincy game, and was amazed at his ineptitude.

I have no problem with Johnson @ QB.

NodakPaul
01-16-2006, 08:14 PM
"Jkurtkrauss" wrote:

The NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" leauge. Apparently all of you Brad bashersaren't keeping up with current events and didn't see the season I saw.

Man, what season was that? The one where our defense finally stepped up and kept stealing the ball from the opponents and giving it back to our offense? That's what won those 7 games with BJ at the helm. BJ is an OK quaterback, and probably could start for a couple more years with another team. But he isn't some superman that came in and miraclously wonthe games for us. CP, under the smart coaching we are getting for '06, will be puting up pro bowl stats once again.

I don't want Brad to go. He is a solid, dependable backup who we may need again at the beginning of the season. But C-Pep is still the man.

ultravikingfan
01-16-2006, 08:23 PM
"Tanner_QBRB8" wrote:

I hope Brad knows that if he leaves no real team will want him cause all the good team have a great QB if he leaves he definetly wouldnt get as good as a recieving core as he does in Minnesota that would be a terrible move for Brad and it certainly wouldnt help the Vikes out that much

Thats highly debatable.

Plenty of teams have a crap QB. Brad probably just wants to be a starter again.

Heck, look at Buffalo. They got crap!

umaguma1979
01-17-2006, 12:30 AM
Brad is simply doing whats best for Brad.

Lets look at the facts:
1) There is shortage of starting QBs in the NFL - especially in the NFC
2) Brad had a nice season statistically & by W/L %
3) DC is rehabbing and his chances of being ready for 2006 is uncertain

The Vikings need Johnson for 2006 because Culpepper may not be available until mid-year 2006. In this scenario, Brad would be counted on to start at back-up money. Brad is trying to either get the Vikings to pay him to start and consider trading Culpepper or to trade him so he can maximize his financial return in the "open market" where an obvious shartage exists.

Can't blame Brad and the Vikes should up his 2006 salary - but on the same token - he is under contract. At one point he had every opportunity to negotiate a one year contract and choose security.

snowinapril
01-17-2006, 12:40 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Brad Johnson has no leverage. He needs to deal with the fact that he isn't going anywhere, unless he can convince other teams to trade for more than he is worth.

True!

We aren't going to give him up for nothing or just release him.

Hence, Brad's comment, "these things have a way of working themselves out."

We will see.

That is exactly why Brad and his agent have been so vocal. They are hoping there are some suitor out there that will come calling with an offer to entice us into taking a draft pick for Brad.

seaniemck7
01-17-2006, 12:46 AM
First of all, I have always liked and respected BJ. Really though, what do you want him to say? Of course he wants to start. I would question anyone who said that they didn't. Would people be happier if he said, "Gee I can't wait to ride the pine next year. I have no intention of preparing like a starter?"

I'm glad he has the confidence in himself to say that he can start. Otherwise why would we want him?

edit: I can't type :(

umaguma1979
01-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Yeah - The Vikes need to throw a little money his way.. I think this is his position.

Vikes
01-17-2006, 12:51 AM
The Arizona Cardinals would take Brad Johnson!

umaguma1979
01-17-2006, 12:58 AM
I dont think the Cardinals would want BJ. Denny Green choose Randall over BJ - but the situation might have warranted this move. Denny likes those big arm Qb's......then again Denny benched Moon in favor of Johnson.....I dont Johnson really wants to play for coach Green at this point in his career.

If we do trade Johnson........we will realize more value than we did with Moss. Think about it.....we got almost the same valus trading Johnson to the Redskins as we did with Moss. So do think Johnson has no trade value?

snowinapril
01-17-2006, 01:01 AM
"Vikes" wrote:

The Arizona Cardinals would take Brad Johnson!

"umaguma1979" wrote:

Yeah - The Vikes need to throw a little money his way.. I think this is his position.

"seaniemck7" wrote:

First of all, I have always liked and respected BJ. Really though, what do you want him to say? Of course he wants to start. I would question anyone who said that they didn't. Would people be happier if he said, "Gee I can't wait to ride the pine next year. I have no intention of preparing like a starter?"

I'm glad he has the confidence in himself to say that he can start. Otherwise why would we want him?

edit: I can't type :(

We are paying him well, something like 6 mil for 3 or 4 years. I think we threw a lot of change his way, not chump change either.

He signed the contract knowing DC was "The Guy."

Not many are mad with BJ about this, I am not atleast. I agree with you about him having the confidence. I really want him as our back up, but if he can get someone to compensate us for him, then I wish him well with another team. But I expect him to live by his contract and not start crap next season when DC starts, if DC gets himself back on time.

AZ might come calling, never know.

All I can say is that you can't have too many quality backup QBs in this league. We are fortunate to have Brad under contract.

DaunteHOF
01-17-2006, 02:45 AM
Stop it man, you not gonna start

fourdoorchevelle
01-17-2006, 04:02 AM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

Brad is not good enough to take control of a game like Daunte....

take control or manage?

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Man, what season was that? The one where our defense finally stepped up and kept stealing the ball from the opponents and giving it back to our offense?

better our defence stealing it from their Qb as opposed to our qb trying to do to much and giving the ball to their defence. daunte had 17 turnovers in 7 games , brad had 7 in 9 games . me thinks that might be the differnce from 2-5 to 7&2

it's kinda hard for a defence to perform well when they're always on the field .

"DaunteHOF" wrote:

stop what ? posting in a forum? or having an opinon that may not be the same as yours?

GreenBaySlackers
01-17-2006, 04:20 AM
"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:

"DaunteHOF" wrote:

stop what ? posting in a forum? or having an opinon that may not be the same as yours?

i think he was talking to brad :lol:

fourdoorchevelle
01-17-2006, 04:29 AM
"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

"DaunteHOF" wrote:

i think he was talking to brad :lol:

makes sense :lol:
just a little vague

but if that's the case i would say that there is a great chance brad starts next year due to the peps injury

NodakPaul
01-17-2006, 04:40 AM

better our defence stealing it from their Qb as opposed to our qb trying to do to much and giving the ball to their defence. daunte had 17 turnovers in 7 games , brad had 7 in 9 games . me thinks that might be the differnce from 2-5 to 7&2

it's kinda hard for a defence to perform well when they're always on the field .

Yes, it is very hard for a defense to preform when they are always on the field. That is one of the reasons I like the WCO over a big play offense. DC and his turnovers were one of the big reasons the defense had to play more. But I attribute that more to coaching than to DC. He is a QB that needs to be coached, and he was operating in a coaching vacuum. BJ does operate better in that type of situation.

But it is hard to claim that he was the catylist for our turn around. And now that we have a potentially incredible coaching staff, there is no way that he deserve the nod over culpepper.

And he knows it too. BJ is a very smart man (which is his strength at QB) and he knows that he will most likely be the starting QB for the first third of the season, and he can use that to increase his market value.

ItalianStallion
01-17-2006, 04:42 AM
If Brad is going to keep this up, he can buck a fuffalo.

fourdoorchevelle
01-17-2006, 04:59 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Yes, it is very hard for a defense to preform when they are always on the field. That is one of the reasons I like the WCO over a big play offense. DC and his turnovers were one of the big reasons the defense had to play more. But I attribute that more to coaching than to DC. He is a QB that needs to be coached, and he was operating in a coaching vacuum. BJ does operate better in that type of situation.

But it is hard to claim that he was the catylist for our turn around. And now that we have a potentially incredible coaching staff, there is no way that he deserve the nod over culpepper.

And he knows it too. BJ is a very smart man (which is his strength at QB) and he knows that he will most likely be the starting QB for the first third of the season, and he can use that to increase his market value.

true coaching was questionable at best. but to say "that's just the coaching" is just being blind . daunte looked like a deer in the head lights , holding the ball for what seemed like forever . sure you got to coach , but tice couldn't throw the ball . once the play is in motion it's up to the players to make the plays.

the variable was the Qb's not the coaches , the same coaches we're working with brad.

as far as the turn around , i would say that mistakes or lack of them is what makes for a W or L . brad may not have lit up the other teams but he also did not deflate the whole team with fumbles on the 1 yard line.

notice that when brad threw int's inside the steelers red zone we did not win that game?

as far as who starts , if daunte comes back from his injury and the vikings are undefeated , do you yank the Qb? or do you continue to go to the hot hand?

MensaTice
01-17-2006, 06:10 AM
Brad is a class act but I don't understand this at all. He knew what the situation was. I also think we need him for next season.

UTVikfan
01-17-2006, 07:46 AM
The reason's Brad came to Mn were, ...he knew the offense (that has changed), he liked the coaches and such (that has changed), and he liked Dante (perhaps that has changed).

What he signed on for, is not here anymore. He signed on as a backup, knowing he was a backup....but eveything else has changed. Perhaps he just wants out.

MrGopher16
01-17-2006, 07:51 AM
sorry brad, a deal is a deal. And you are a reliable backup so you ain't goin' nowhere!!

coreyd
01-17-2006, 08:02 AM
I think has more to do with his desire to go out as a starter. I think he is good enough to be a starter. If I were playing in the NFL and was a few years away from retirement I would want to remember them as a starter, not a bench warmer. If he stays here and PEP performs, Johnson will not start. If he goes and starts, he will enjoy the game he loves to play. I could name a few teams that could use him.

coreyd
01-17-2006, 08:04 AM

"NodakPaul" wrote:

true coaching was questionable at best. but to say "that's just the coaching" is just being blind . daunte looked like a deer in the head lights , holding the ball for what seemed like forever . sure you got to coach , but tice couldn't throw the ball . once the play is in motion it's up to the players to make the plays.

the variable was the Qb's not the coaches , the same coaches we're working with brad.

as far as the turn around , i would say that mistakes or lack of them is what makes for a W or L . brad may not have lit up the other teams but he also did not deflate the whole team with fumbles on the 1 yard line.

notice that when brad threw int's inside the steelers red zone we did not win that game?

as far as who starts , if daunte comes back from his injury and the vikings are undefeated , do you yank the Qb? or do you continue to go to the hot hand?

oooooohhhhhhh.......I enjoyed this post. Nice one!

renovikesfan
01-17-2006, 08:12 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

If Brad is going to keep this up, he can buck a fuffalo.

LMFAO...I like that. I'll have to add that along with "cotton rocksucker".

singersp
01-17-2006, 01:35 PM
From Scout.com

Johnson Wants Out?

By Viking Update Staff
Date: Jan 16, 2006

Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson went public with a story that has rumored locally for the last couple of weeks -- that he wants to be a starter in the NFL and if that won't happen in Minnesota, he wants to move on.

In the last offseason, one of the early signings in the free agent period that the Vikings made was to lock up veteran quarterback Brad Johnson, who had made the rounds looking for a starter's job only to find that nobody was willing to offer a 36-year old the starter's job and starting QB money.

But, after a year in which Johnson led the team to a 7-2 record in his nine starts, he's changed his tune.

On the ESPN program "Outside the Lines" Johnson confirmed what has been rumored for the last couple of weeks -- that he wants to be traded if he won't have a chance to start for the Vikings.

While the rumor was initially dismissed by many in the local media as more likely being an agent trying to get a new deal for his client, Johnson himself confirmed with the program that he believes he still has three or four good years left. Despite his age, Johnson spent the first four years of his career as a deep backup whose body hasn't taken the abuse that a QB who has started from the beginning of his career would take.

Johnson, who has three years remaining on his current deal, reiterated what had been claimed he had said -- he wants to start in 2006 and, if the Vikings plan to hand the job back to Daunte Culpepper, he would like the chance to start somewhere else.

There was no immediate word from the Vikings organization as to whether they will meet Johnson's request -- which would likely have to be in the form of a trade since it's highly unlikely the team will simply release him from a team-friendly contract. But if nothing else, the rumors denying the initial reports of Johnson's wish to be traded can be quashed. He's serious and he did in fact say what was claimed. Now we have to wait and see how seriously Zygi Wilf and the powers that be with the Vikings take this latest salvo.

tarkenton10
01-17-2006, 05:06 PM
I think you guys forget that DC LOST alot of games this year. He was horrible and not giving Johnson any credit is just wrong. It wasn't just coincidence that we started winning when Johnson came in. We ould have lost a few of those games with DC in there. We would have definitely lost the NYG game. Brad had no turnovers and kept us in the game. Any close game would have been a loss with Dc in there. He makes bad decisions and panics in crucial moments. I would take Brad any day over DC.

Trade DC and get REGGIE, REGGIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Del Rio
01-17-2006, 05:33 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

I think you guys forget that DC LOST alot of games this year. He was horrible and not giving Johnson any credit is just wrong. It wasn't just coincidence that we started winning when Johnson came in. We ould have lost a few of those games with DC in there. We would have definitely lost the NYG game. Brad had no turnovers and kept us in the game. Any close game would have been a loss with Dc in there. He makes bad decisions and panics in crucial moments. I would take Brad any day over DC.

I wouldn't even waste the effort Tark.

It was the Defense started playing great, it was the line started playing better, it was the help brought in, the moon, the tide, the dirty socks of some fan who never washed them until we lost......but god knows it wasn't washed up Brad Johnson.

tarkenton10
01-17-2006, 05:36 PM
You got that DEL, they all must be from Egypt because they are in DENIAL!!!

COJOMAY
01-17-2006, 05:39 PM
I have read and reread that article and I think we've read between the lines here again. Johnson's agent is right. He never said anything about BJ wanting to be traded. He only wants to start. Maybe someone should start a thread saying "Johnson will be starter next" year because I believe he will be for some games anyway in the early season.
I think the background behind the article means that he would like to be our full-time starter for a couple of years while we/he grooms a new QB. I really think he is wanting Daunte gone.
JMHO

ejmat
01-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Del, I agree with everything you said except for one thing. Brad did hold onto the ball better than DC. I specifically remember the shot he took against the Giants and didn't fumble. That's one of those hits DC normally would fumble. That could have lost that game.

It's unfair to compare Brad vs. DC. They are 2 different style QBs. I think Brad can read defenses and handles blitzes better than DC. DC by far is a better athlete with a stronger arm. I just think Brad fit into this years scheme better than DC due to the challenged OL. Give them an average OL and DC is the better QB. This year they didn't have that.

snowinapril
01-17-2006, 05:44 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

I would have to say the exact opposite for the Packers game, I don't think that Johnson would have brought us back from 17 points down at half.

Maybe with Brad in there, we wouldn't have been 17 down. But we can't say for sure. Oh well, as far as last year is concerned, I am only remembering the good, which is not to terribly much, the rest will be wiped from my hard drive. I have an appointment for this later today, they will rid my brain of the bad. :roll:

Next year will be different. Besides, BJ is not a long term solution.

DC stays this year. For those that don't like DC, you may want to wish for a 3rd or 4th round QB to groom, without it, we are just looking a bleek years when/if we get rid of DC. Our D isn't to where Tampa's D was when BJ won that superbowl. I don't think that you can make it to the SB with BJ without a top 5 defense. Don't get caught up on the top five thing, I am just saying that I don't think BJ has the fire power with the D we got.

DC can play Brad's game/style if he wants. He did it the season before last. I see Childress reeling DC in to be more efficient. Tice didn't do that. He wasn't concerned about it at all.

MrGopher16
01-17-2006, 05:47 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

Get Reggie?? I wonder how our offense would look with one weapon that teams could focus on and attack. Even tomlinson has trouble sometimes running when they stack 8 guys in the box, surely that's what every team would do to us every down he was in. Not to mention that you must want us to rely on brad johnson to handle the QB duties from now on. How long do you really think he has?

No way sir...No way.

COJOMAY
01-17-2006, 05:49 PM
And now this from "Pro-Football Talk"

DAUNTE DONE IN MINNY?

At a time when many of our readers are asking whether quarterback Daunte Culpepper wants out of Minnesota, we're hearing that the Vikings could be the ones making the decision for him.

The thinking is that new Vikings coach Brad Childress doesn't believe that Culpepper will be able to run the West Coast offense, since Culpepper hasn't shown a consistent ability to change plays based on the looks he is getting from the defense. Indeed, his only pre-snap aptitude that we've ever detected was his propensity to spot single coverage on receiver Randy Moss -- and then to chuck the ball to him deep.

The separate, and more significant, issue is Culpepper's knee, which was blown apart on October 30 at Carolina. Even if he is able to start the first regular season game, he'll need every snap in the offseason, training camp, and the preseason to enable him to get ready to run a new offense.

So it could be that, a year after the Vikings shipped Moss out of town for a relatively light package of picks and a player who didn't really contribute in 2005, the Vikes might send packing the guy who supposedly wanted Randy's bad influence out of the way so that he could lead the team without being undermined.

The objective evidence points to problems. Culpepper and Childress have yet to meet in person, and Daunte has been dissing members of the organization ever since he became a forgotten man during the team's improbable six-game winning streak. Pending criminal charges for something he claims he didn't do doesn't help matters, either.

An industry source tells us that Daunte is merely laying low as he considers the various changes to the organization, but we've got a feeling that, even if there's nothing more to it right now, it's heading in the direction of a divorce.

If Daunte is going to get moved, possible destinations are Arizona, Oakland, Miami (if offensive coordinator Scott Linehan stays), and St. Louis (if Linehan becomes the next head coach of the Rams). The Vikings have the cap room to make the move, and Culpepper's value isn't going to get any higher if he struggles for a year or two learning the new attack.

So keep an eye on this one. Barring a public smooch-fest in the near future, our guess is that the new direction in Minny won't include the quarterback whom many thought would lead the team into the next decade.

Del Rio
01-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Just one weapon? JUST ONE WEAPON??!!!

This is Reggie Bush! Obviously you don't understand just how good Reggie is.......

Reggie Bush's tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried. Ever.

Reggis Bush does not sleep. He waits.

Reggie Bush has counted to infinity. Twice.

Reggie Bush is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Crop circles are Reggie Bushs' way of telling the world that sometimes corn needs to lie the fuck down.

The Great Wall of China was originally created to keep Reggie Bush out. It failed miserably.

Reggie Bush drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls.

Reggie Bush can win a game of Connect Four in only three moves.

There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures Reggie Bush allows to live.

snowinapril
01-17-2006, 05:57 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I wouldn't even waste the effort Tark.

It was the Defense started playing great, it was the line started playing better, it was the help brought in, the moon, the tide, the dirty socks of some fan who never washed them until we lost......but god knows it wasn't washed up Brad Johnson.

BJs success was a combination of a lot of things.....

as was....

Dauntes's Debacle.

When it comes down to it, it is just our opinions, with what we think are a few facts that we throw on top to justify our opinion and make it taste a bit sweeter.

The only fact that I know (glass half empty) is that last year was not sweet, it tasted like crap. BJ did a great job while he was in there, but (as they say about DC) BJ didn't win the big games, the must games at the end either. DC's situation was unfortunate, he didn't get to finish the season. He never got a chance to redeem himself so we are left with the impression that he is crap. Well I started to come up with excuse (what the BJ contingent would call them) and decided to stop here instead, hopefully most of the excuses are gone.

Del Rio
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't even attempt it anymore.

Excuses are made because of the emotional attatchment people have with certain players. Logic and reason cannot compete with that.

tarkenton10
01-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Brad can last about three years in the WCO. That offense does not have long throws and Johnson is a perfect fit in this offense. We have this year or next to draft a Qb. Brad will have some weapons to throw to if they put eight in the box. K-rob, Troy, marcus Robinson. Those are capable WR that can make you pay for crouding the line of scrimmage.

In any case I am more comfortable seeing Brad in the pocket than DC. See Dc in the pocket is like watching a train wreck. People gave DC more credit than Moss. Dc would simply throw it as far as he could and Moss would be gone or he would outjump the defender. DC doesn't have that kind of playmaker and it showed this year.

The BIGGEST REASON IS DC JUST DOESN'T MAKE GODD DECISIONS!! YES, I WOULD TAKE BRAD ANY DAY!!!!!!

snowinapril
01-17-2006, 06:08 PM
There are always going to be pros and cons!

Yesterday, Mora SR was trying to defend Manning and the myth that he will never win the big game.

Terrel chimes in and says, " I just don't see him winning the big game because he is unable to make things happen when things break down around him."

You must take the good with the bad with both Johnson and DC.

It is where you draw the line in the sand.

You have drawn yours.
BJ has drawn his.
We will have to wait and see where the Vikes draw theirs.

ultravikingfan
01-17-2006, 06:36 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

This is Reggie Bush! Obviously you don't understand just how good Reggie is.......

Reggie Bush is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fricken Indian.

Crop circles are Reggie Bushs' way of telling the world that sometimes corn needs to lie the F!!ck down.

The Great Wall of China was originally created to keep Reggie Bush out. It failed miserably.

There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures Reggie Bush allows to live.

Nice!

Where did you get this from...I like it.

Del Rio
01-17-2006, 06:45 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Reggie Bush is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fricken Indian.

Crop circles are Reggie Bushs' way of telling the world that sometimes corn needs to lie the F!!ck down.

Nice!

Where did you get this from...I like it.

Chuck Norris Fact page, shit is so funny had tears in my eyes. Funny thing is the internet gaming circles have made this a hot topic, but my mom and dad love Chuck Norris because he used to live next door to us LMAO!!!

So this stuff is even funnier to me.

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

ultravikingfan
01-17-2006, 06:50 PM
I am gonna bookmark that one for sure!

Your right, that pooh is hilarious!

In the Bible, Jesus turned water into wine. But then Chuck Norris turned that wine into beer.

Faster than a speeding bullet ... more powerful than a locomotive ... able to leap tall buildings in a single bound... yes, these are some of Chuck Norris's warm-up exercises.

mnvikes61
01-17-2006, 06:57 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

:laughing3:

tarkenton10
01-17-2006, 07:00 PM
The only reason I say trade DC is I want Bush. I really don't get pumped up with college players because they don't always pan out in the NFL! Reggie is the only college player in the last fifteen or twenty years that I truly feel is a can't miss superstar in the NFL!

I thought he was hyped until I saw him play twice this year. He has all the skills and what I saw was the intangibles too. He likes to deliver the hit, refuses to be tackled, and willl not be denied the endzone. He will be great in the NFL. And if he is going to be great I want him to be great on the Vikings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mnvikes61
01-17-2006, 07:02 PM
I bet Bush will be gone at the number one slot, so unless we trade Pep and some other player/draft picks there is no way we will be able to get the number 1 pick.

ultravikingfan
01-17-2006, 07:06 PM
There is no way we will get Bush.

Lets be realistic here. The Texans are sitting on a pot of gold and they know it.

If hell froze over and we were able to...we wouldn't have anyone left one the team. It would be Reggie snapping the ball to himself, dropping back and handing the ball to himself, and doing everything on his own.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-17-2006, 07:07 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

There is no way we will get Bush.

Lets be realistic here. The Texans are sitting on a pot of gold and they know it.

If hell froze over and we were able to...we wouldn't have anyone left one the team. It would be Reggie snapping the ball to himself, dropping back and handing the ball to himself, and doing everything on his own.

It's cool to play the "what if" game but like Ultra says, we do need to be a bit realistic.

cogitans
01-17-2006, 07:08 PM
I completely agree. You can drewl all you want, there is no way on earth we'll ever get near Bush in this draft.

ultravikingfan
01-17-2006, 07:09 PM
I think we learned our lesson from this:

http://www.ajm.org/a/finals/2001/images/herschel%20walker.jpg

It gave another team 3 SB wins!

tarkenton10
01-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Walker was a stupid trade and the people who made the trade should hav enever been in a football org. First off Hershel was a power back with great speed but he had no vision and could not catch out of the backfield.
We were a finesse offense with o-linemen who weren't capable of opening holes like Hershel needed.

Second you don't rape your defense for one player not even Reggie. Now having said that Reggie is a different type of back he is more athletic and more elusive. He can catch very well out of the backfield and will probably have the best hands in the NFL out of all the backs!!

I never said get Reggie at any cost, I am saying he is a game breaker and a game changer and if we could offer the right amount of incentives to get him here then we will be a much better team!!!!

ultravikingfan
01-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Can't argue that he would not make our team better, but look at the odds. I was just pointing out what happened last time we went for the deal of the century.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-17-2006, 07:28 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Can't argue that he would not amke our team better, but look at the odds. I was just pointing out what happened last time we went for the deal of the century.

Once burned, twice shy.

Jkurtkrauss
01-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Trade a crippled QB who's just come off a humiliating season, and is facing criminal charges for the best college prospect EVER.

What are you smoking Tark?

cajunvike
01-17-2006, 11:48 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"tarkenton10" wrote:

I would have to say the exact opposite for the Packers game, I don't think that Johnson would have brought us back from 17 points down at half.

Maybe with Brad in there, we wouldn't have been 17 down. But we can't say for sure. Oh well, as far as last year is concerned, I am only remembering the good, which is not to terribly much, the rest will be wiped from my hard drive. I have an appointment for this later today, they will rid my brain of the bad. :roll:

DC stays this year. For those that don't like DC, you may want to wish for a 3rd or 4th round QB to groom, without it, we are just looking a bleek years when/if we get rid of DC. Our D isn't to where Tampa's D was when BJ won that superbowl. I don't think that you can make it to the SB with BJ without a top 5 defense. Don't get caught up on the top five thing, I am just saying that I don't think BJ has the fire power with the D we got.

DC can play Brad's game/style if he wants. He did it the season before last. I see Childress reeling DC in to be more efficient. Tice didn't do that. He wasn't concerned about it at all.

So trade for personnel that will give us the top 5 D next year...and then start BJ...also give BJ a STUD RB to open up the passing lanes...and he will disect the opposing defenses all day long! Besides, DC will most likely not be ready to start next season...no matter what everyone thinks!

coreyd
01-18-2006, 02:37 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"tarkenton10" wrote:

So trade for personnel that will give us the top 5 D next year...and then start BJ...also give BJ a STUD RB to open up the passing lanes...and he will disect the opposing defenses all day long! Besides, DC will most likely not be ready to start next season...no matter what everyone thinks!

Well put....

NodakPaul
01-18-2006, 03:08 AM
"Jkurtkrauss" wrote:

Trade a crippled QB who's just come off a humiliating season, and is facing criminal charges for the best college prospect EVER.

What are you smoking Tark?

Come on. :roll: DC isn't crippled. And his "criminal charges" equate to a couple of misdemeanors for lewd conduct. There are traffic violations that carry stiffer penalties... (Not defending him, but let's not exaggerate the situation either)

ejmat
01-18-2006, 03:09 AM
Entertaining trades for DC i a good idea right now while his stock is up somewhat. If he stays and does poorly he will have no stock. Right now there are teams interested with players we can use along with picks. It would be difficult to trade up as high as #1 to get Bush but not impossible. I want to be realistic and say there's no way but the truth of the matter is there is a possibility. Although very slim.

tarkenton10
01-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Jkurt, not smoking anything. I didn't say we would trade DC to the Texans for their draft choice. There are plenty of teams that will part with a first rounder DC. Combine that with our first rounder and negotiate the details. They may want a player or some more draft choices but we would get some value for Dc and hopefully Reggie!!!