PDA

View Full Version : Childress Denies Trade Request from Johnson



Ltrey33
01-15-2006, 07:13 PM
I just saw this on on ESPN: Chris Mortensen reported that new Vikings head coach Brad Childress denied a trade request from Brad Johnson. Childress explained to Johnson that he just came out of a season in which a shaky backup quarterback cost the Eagles a playoff birth, and he didnt' want to have the same situation again.

Couldn't find a link....thought this might be PP.O worthy.

SharperVikings
01-15-2006, 07:29 PM
yep..i just saw this too on nfl countdown on ESPN (I think thats what youre watching)

Well, this shows that our coach is smart and really wants to have a better then decent backup qb!

Tanner_QBRB8
01-15-2006, 07:33 PM
I just hope that Johnson isnt pissed and he agrees with what Childress is saying

SamDawg84
01-15-2006, 07:46 PM
i really hope brad wants to stay

kramer9guy
01-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Pissed or not, Brad is under contract and has to live up to those obligations.

Plus, no matter what anyone says, there's still no guarantee Daunte is gonna be back 100% healthy at the beginning of next season or at all.

While I still want Daunte back in prime form, I do feel there is a good chance that Brad will be the Viking's starting QB for the first game next season. But, all of that depends on Culpeppers rehab progress.

DCPologirl
01-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Good for him Brad needs to chill out

Wiggles67
01-15-2006, 08:57 PM
I have always had a lot of respect for Brad Johnson...but this whole situation is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. He came here as back up and knew that. As he got more playing time than was expected he decides he wants to start again...that's not cool man. Thanks for the great season Brad, but you know you're role on the Vikings and were fully aware of this when you signed your contract. Sack up and deal with it man

ItalianStallion
01-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Brad needs to realize that he has little trade value, and we still need him for depth.

NordicNed
01-15-2006, 09:04 PM
First thing Brad should remember is, more than likely he will be the starter next year, while PEP is still recovering..

And I'll say this, if Brad came out and performed really well and was raking in the Wins, it would be hard for the coaches to switch to PEP during a solid winning streak....

jordancarlson_7
01-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Brad Johson is a lil old be hes a very strong backup quarterback and still has the long bomb in his Gun Show..

kramer9guy
01-15-2006, 09:08 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

First thing Brad should remember is, more than likely he will be the starter next year, while PEP is still recovering..

And I'll say this, if Brad came out and performed really well and was raking in the Wins, it would be hard for the coaches to switch to PEP during a solid winning streak....

exactly.

simonsparre
01-15-2006, 09:28 PM
I really don't think Brad is that good, he could beat the Lions, Packers, Rams and Brownies, but when he played againts a great defence like Ravens and Steelers he played like Kyle Boller

ItalianStallion
01-15-2006, 09:28 PM
"jordancarlson_7" wrote:

Brad Johson is a lil old be hes a very strong backup quarterback and still has the long bomb in his Gun Show..

Brad Johnson can throw it deep? Really? Get out of here...

duffVIkEs
01-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Long bomb in his gun show? I think his gun show is stock full of short, quick, timing passes.

michaelmazid
01-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Brad is a pimp. We might need him to start like the first 4 games of the season if Daunte isn't ready yet.

sdvikefan
01-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Brad Johnson said this morning that he wants to start somewhere. Basically, he's going the way of Gus Frerotte, who had a great series of games with Minnesota as a backup and now feels he's worthy of carrying the load. Except he clearly isn't, and neither is Brad. The guy played a hell of a series for us and is a very smart, savvy QB. But he's not a starter in this league and I feel he should accept his role as a backup, because at this point in his career, that's all he's got. Look at Ron Jaworski, he accepted that when he reached a certain age, he was only good as a backup and he did that with pride in Miami. Brad should do the same.

mogwai
01-15-2006, 10:32 PM
brad played well against the ravens,so i guess you missed that game.brad is competitive he wants to start.i feel better knowing he's still got that fire.i don't hold it against at all.that said i hope he's here until he retires

V4L
01-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Do you think anyone will really be willing to give anything up for him? I mean he doesn't toss the deep ball.. He is getting up there in age.. If we got anything it would be a 5th round pick maybe?

I wouldn't do it

sdvikefan
01-15-2006, 10:36 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Do you think anyone will really be willing to give anything up for him? I mean he doesn't toss the deep ball.. He is getting up there in age.. If we got anything it would be a 5th round pick maybe?

I wouldn't do it

Brad does toss the deep ball and he did it successfully a few times this year....it's just that he usually checks down instead because that's what he's comfortable with. But you're right he doesn't have much trade value.

DaunteHOF
01-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Brad just stay man, no one wants u to start.

V4L
01-15-2006, 10:42 PM
"sdvikefan" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Do you think anyone will really be willing to give anything up for him? I mean he doesn't toss the deep ball.. He is getting up there in age.. If we got anything it would be a 5th round pick maybe?

I wouldn't do it

Brad does toss the deep ball and he did it successfully a few times this year....it's just that he usually checks down instead because that's what he's comfortable with. But you're right he doesn't have much trade value.

I beg to differ.. I believe he only tossed like 5.. And he under threw K-rob atleast 2 times that I saw.. K-rob would have had more TD's if it was Pep and he lead him

mogwai
01-15-2006, 10:48 PM
we're going wco not many deep balls are going to be thrown

V4L
01-15-2006, 10:54 PM
"mogwai" wrote:

we're going wco not many deep balls are going to be thrown


Not the point.. I said he can't throw the deep ball.. And he is gettin up there in age.. So I don't think we would really get anything for him.. Wouldn't be worth trading

sdvikefan
01-15-2006, 10:56 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"sdvikefan" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Do you think anyone will really be willing to give anything up for him? I mean he doesn't toss the deep ball.. He is getting up there in age.. If we got anything it would be a 5th round pick maybe?

I wouldn't do it

Brad does toss the deep ball and he did it successfully a few times this year....it's just that he usually checks down instead because that's what he's comfortable with. But you're right he doesn't have much trade value.

I beg to differ.. I believe he only tossed like 5.. And he under threw K-rob atleast 2 times that I saw.. K-rob would have had more TD's if it was Pep and he lead him

I never said he was Carson Palmer or Peyton Manning, but he still has the deep ball in him. You're right he did underthrow k-rob, but he doesn't look consistently to throw deep. He hasn't through most of his career though.

ANyway the bottom line is he works for us as a backup, especially with the offense that Childress will want to use. I don't think he is a 16-game starter in this league, like he wants to be. Teams right now that need a QB will look for someone younger.

ItalianStallion
01-15-2006, 10:58 PM
"mogwai" wrote:

we're going wco not many deep balls are going to be thrown

That isn't neccessarily true. The variation of the WCO that they played up in Philly still had a vertical game, throwing to receiver like Owens, Greg Lewis etc. If you have fast receives and a QB with an arm, you will always have a deep game.

Del Rio
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
He is under contract.

If he doesn't want to play here however it will be hard to keep him. Unhappy players don't play well.

Besides when he does play he is in a power position to show Childress exactly how big of an idiot he was for not trading him.

I dont like the move. If he wants out let him go.

FuadFan
01-15-2006, 11:09 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

He is under contract.

If he doesn't want to play here however it will be hard to keep him. Unhappy players don't play well.

Besides when he does play he is in a power position to show Childress exactly how big of an idiot he was for not trading him.

I dont like the move. If he wants out let him go.If he were to perform poorly why would anybody else want to take him he can lose the starting job with any team he goes to as well as he will this one when Daunte is able to return.

pokeyisme
01-15-2006, 11:59 PM
alrighty boys listen up pep is a lame duck if he gets one good pop on the knee he is out AGAIN for the season get him well trade him for some one in better shape (even a little tackle on the knee and he will go down) face it pep is a wonded duck (he WAS a great qb but now he is OK at most) and about BJ he is a (14 or 15) year vet. BJ has the all the stuff we need to make it to the play offs next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love the vikings and i want to see them have a great year not dwell over a QB who is now a qustion of reliability???? poke fun at me call me what you like but the fact of the matter is PEP wonded and when he comes back next year all he is going to think about is his knee not the GAME!!!!

sorry if i offended ya!!!!!


GO VIKES!!!!!

FedjeViking
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
First-
Brad is needed for the experience he brings to all the young players and coaches.

Second-
He will start next season because I doubt Pep will be fully recovered.

Third-
If Brad is on a winning streak they will let him keep going until he messes up, giving Pep time to fully recover.

pokeyisme
01-16-2006, 12:04 AM
pep will not recover! and that is a fact trade him and start new just like the coaching staff!!!!!

hovan
01-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Good, Brad should stay

pokeyisme
01-16-2006, 12:30 AM
BINGO!!!!!!!!!

i_bleed_purple
01-16-2006, 12:33 AM
"pokeyisme" wrote:

pep will not recover! and that is a fact trade him and start new just like the coaching staff!!!!!

kinda like how willis macgahee never recoevered from the exact same injury? i recall he came back in top shape. give him time and he will be back and OK. I'd like to keep BJ in case pep's not ready for the first few games, so that way we have someone half-decent back there throwing for us instead of shaun Hill

Ltrey33
01-16-2006, 12:41 AM
"pokeyisme" wrote:

pep will not recover! and that is a fact trade him and start new just like the coaching staff!!!!!

And your MD is in what area?

collegeguyjeff
01-16-2006, 12:48 AM
i read that too and thats a good idea for childress not to trade him; well unless we can trade him back to washington for thier first round pick again ha ha.

MrGopher16
01-16-2006, 12:51 AM
"pokeyisme" wrote:

pep will not recover! and that is a fact trade him and start new just like the coaching staff!!!!!


First of all where do you get your facts from?

I read an article saying that he is having an excellent recovery and expected to participate in mini-camps in the spring!

And second what do you expect to get in return for him? Especially if he will not recover like you say??


*sigh* another pep hater... :roll:

DaunteHOF
01-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Pep will be back and at a probowl level once again

pokeyisme
01-16-2006, 01:07 AM
I am not a pep hater i am a vikings lover. The best thing we could do as a team is cut our loses and get a new QB. My MD is logic!!!!!!!!! next year when everyone is crying about how PEP is not doing well (I TOLD YA SO)
I like PEP but think about it. When your healthy you can take a hard hit get up and shake it off but after a tramatic injury like what PEP has (by the way i had the same sugury after a sking accident in Duluth MN) just a medium hit to the knee will take him out!!!!!!!! (think about this in any of the games next year do you think that any D-fence will hit him lighter because of his knee) NOT they are going to pound the hell out of him. also do not believe what you read do you think that PEP's agent is going to say something negitive????? come on he is a clebrity and his agent is being paid to protect him, if his agent or the vikes trainer said anything bad about him we could not get top dollar for him (weather we trade him or not) bottom line is that he will not be like he was, i hope iam wrong but iam not


PEACE!!!!!!!!

FedjeViking
01-16-2006, 01:08 AM
"pokeyisme" wrote:

pep will not recover! and that is a fact trade him and start new just like the coaching staff!!!!!

Well aren't we the pessimist? I always have hope, it works wonders!

pokeyisme
01-16-2006, 01:14 AM
hope mey work wonders but it can't win super bowls!!!!

FedjeViking
01-16-2006, 01:23 AM
"pokeyisme" wrote:

hope mey work wonders but it can't win super bowls!!!!

Saves on the grey hairs I have from watching 4 Superbowl losses so far. Read my sig!!

MrGopher16
01-16-2006, 01:24 AM
you wont get any trade value for a QB who is coming of off an injury anyways...regardless of what their agent says. And the article was actually from the doctor, not someone who is just paid to make daunte seem good (which he is).

You seem to be so sure that culpepper isn't the answer here. So tell me sir...who is? Surely you aren't thinking ol' brad johnson, who has a couple years left, and isn't the quality we are looking for in a QB. So who?

pokeyisme
01-16-2006, 01:28 AM
to be honest i don't know who would be a good QB for us. As far as a doctor, you can pay them to say anything!!!!!!! and they do!!!

MrGopher16
01-16-2006, 01:33 AM
I disagree, most doctors are real professionals who care about the health of their patients. It's against their practice to give false advice which could lead to further injury. Such advice would be saying culpepper is doing great and should be ready to go out there and get practicing soon, when in fact he isn't and could prolong injury because he isn't ready.

pokeyisme
01-16-2006, 01:34 AM
you wont get any trade value for a QB who is coming of off an injury


If we were looking for a QB right now PEP would not even be a thought in our minds he's wonded and everyone knows it! so why would we keep him????? why keep a QB just because ya like him????? it does not make much sense to me!

MrGopher16
01-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Because a year ago he was the best QB in the league with the exception of peyton's freakish MVP year. C-pep actually threw for more yards, but less TD's obviously. With the skill he's shown us before, it would be absurd to just give that up. Especially with no alternative to him.

pokeyisme
01-16-2006, 01:38 AM
most doc's are very professional but there is a thing calld a second opionion and if PEP does not like the advice of one he can go to another and another and another until he gets the answer he wants (for his job and money that he is used to and does not want to loose)

pokeyisme
01-16-2006, 01:40 AM
He was the best QB in the leauge hands down but now he is hurt and that leaves me to believe that he is not even close to being the best and wil not be that way for a long time!!!

MrGopher16
01-16-2006, 01:43 AM
"pokeyisme" wrote:

He was the best QB in the leauge hands down but now he is hurt and that leaves me to believe that he is not even close to being the best and wil not be that way for a long time!!!

Yes he got hurt. He also got surgery, went home to a warm climate and let himself heal, and now he's doing some serious re-hab action. This is how injuries work, don't count him out just because he got hurt. Why give up such a proven great QB who can be a huge asset to our team?

Ltrey33
01-16-2006, 01:46 AM
"MrGopher16" wrote:

I disagree, most doctors are real professionals who care about the health of their patients. It's against their practice to give false advice which could lead to further injury. Such advice would be saying culpepper is doing great and should be ready to go out there and get practicing soon, when in fact he isn't and could prolong injury because he isn't ready.

Yeah, look at Carson Palmer's doctor. He came out right after the surgery and said that Palmer was in real trouble, when it may turn out that he's not!

FedjeViking
01-16-2006, 01:49 AM
"pokeyisme" wrote:

you wont get any trade value for a QB who is coming of off an injury


If we were looking for a QB right now PEP would not even be a thought in our minds he's wonded and everyone knows it! so why would we keep him????? why keep a QB just because ya like him????? it does not make much sense to me!

WHY? Read your own post!

singersp
01-16-2006, 02:20 AM
"sdvikefan" wrote:

Brad Johnson said this morning that he wants to start somewhere. Basically, he's going the way of Gus Frerotte, who had a great series of games with Minnesota as a backup and now feels he's worthy of carrying the load. Except he clearly isn't, and neither is Brad. The guy played a hell of a series for us and is a very smart, savvy QB. But he's not a starter in this league and I feel he should accept his role as a backup, because at this point in his career, that's all he's got. Look at Ron Jaworski, he accepted that when he reached a certain age, he was only good as a backup and he did that with pride in Miami. Brad should do the same.

I saw the same show. Brad skirted the idea of being traded, but he said he definitely wants to start. He figures he has 4 more good years in him.

SmootCriminal
01-16-2006, 02:50 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"sdvikefan" wrote:

Brad Johnson said this morning that he wants to start somewhere. Basically, he's going the way of Gus Frerotte, who had a great series of games with Minnesota as a backup and now feels he's worthy of carrying the load. Except he clearly isn't, and neither is Brad. The guy played a hell of a series for us and is a very smart, savvy QB. But he's not a starter in this league and I feel he should accept his role as a backup, because at this point in his career, that's all he's got. Look at Ron Jaworski, he accepted that when he reached a certain age, he was only good as a backup and he did that with pride in Miami. Brad should do the same.

I saw the same show. Brad skirted the idea of being traded, but he said he definitely wants to start. He figures he has 4 more good years in him.lol 4 more good years, name one QB that thinks they will have a good year in thier 40's

singersp
01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
"SmootCriminal" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"sdvikefan" wrote:

Brad Johnson said this morning that he wants to start somewhere. Basically, he's going the way of Gus Frerotte, who had a great series of games with Minnesota as a backup and now feels he's worthy of carrying the load. Except he clearly isn't, and neither is Brad. The guy played a hell of a series for us and is a very smart, savvy QB. But he's not a starter in this league and I feel he should accept his role as a backup, because at this point in his career, that's all he's got. Look at Ron Jaworski, he accepted that when he reached a certain age, he was only good as a backup and he did that with pride in Miami. Brad should do the same.

I saw the same show. Brad skirted the idea of being traded, but he said he definitely wants to start. He figures he has 4 more good years in him.lol 4 more good years, name one QB that thinks they will have a good year in thier 40's

Warren Moon.

I personally don't feel he has 4 good years left, but that's just my opinion.

I'm simply telling you what Brad said.