PDA

View Full Version : Wilf Keeps On Spending Money On Vikes!

COJOMAY
01-12-2006, 05:52 AM
Wilf approves $2 million in updates for Winter Park
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has approved a $2 million investment in upgrades at Winter Park that will mostly impact players and coaches, vice president Steve Poppen said Wednesday morning.

Poppen said the improvements are necessary because the number of players and coaches has dramatically increased since 1981, when Winter Park was dedicated.

"This is a Band-Aid until we build a practice facility with the stadium," said Poppen, the team's vice president of finance. "We need to give our coaches and players more room to do their day-to-day duties."

The renovations will include the expansion of the locker room and the transformation of a racquetball court into a coaches' meeting room and a players' lounge.

The Vikings hope to complete both projects by the start of the regular season.

What a Guy!!!!!

VikingsTw
01-12-2006, 05:55 AM
Guys serious about it. Good JOB Wilf!

PurplePeopleEaters
01-12-2006, 05:56 AM
Wilf is the man

natethegreat
01-12-2006, 05:56 AM
"This is a Band-Aid until we build a practice facility with the stadium,"

I really like that part of it, hopefully wilf can get us a new stadium asap

Robo
01-12-2006, 05:57 AM
GIVER KEEP ON SPENDING> YOU HAVE THE BEST FANS IN THE COUNTRY - WE NEED THE BOWL IF YOU BUILD IT , IT WILL COME !!!!

cc21
01-12-2006, 05:58 AM
Wilf is da man! Now give em hell in free agency and let's get some real good players with us!

Potus2028
01-12-2006, 06:00 AM
meh.. he's got money.. that's all i care about

FuadFan
01-12-2006, 06:02 AM
I like having an owner who cares about the team

DarrinNelsonguy
01-12-2006, 06:04 AM
Wilf deserves a standing ovation for his work so far. I especially like it when it takes shots at how cheap McCombs was as owner.

snowinapril
01-12-2006, 06:19 AM
I remember when Tice asked Red for some money for some minor improvements. Tice paid for some carpeting and a gameroom or something like that about 2 years ago out of his own pocket.

Glad Childress isn't expected to do the same. :lol:

It is amazing, that is a little bit of chump change that Red should have spent a few years ago and didn't. Attitude is key, and Wilf has the attitude that we need. It is a proactive stance that will translate onto the field of play. It should bring about a true sense of pride.

Red should never have been allowed to utter the words "Purple Pride." What a bunch of crap coming from his mouth.

Go Wilf!

snowinapril
01-12-2006, 06:20 AM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

Wilf deserves a standing ovation for his work so far. I especially like it when it takes shots at how cheap McCombs was as owner.

Wilf should be able to do a comedy routine every Friday night with the material Red gave us.

VikingsTw
01-12-2006, 06:32 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I remember when Tice asked Red for some money for some minor improvements. Tice paid for some carpeting and a gameroom or something like that about 2 years ago out of his own pocket.

Glad Childress isn't expected to do the same. :lol:

It is amazing, that is a little bit of chump change that Red should have spent a few years ago and didn't. Attitude is key, and Wilf has the attitude that we need. It is a proactive stance that will translate onto the field of play. It should bring about a true sense of pride.

Red should never have been allowed to utter the words "Purple Pride." What a bunch of crap coming from his mouth.

Go Wilf!

I never heard about that. Pretty upsetting, i really think tice had what it took but to many things where holding him back. Hopefully his career gets a jump start somewhere else.

And red's a jerk!

ItalianStallion
01-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Who cares? The players get fancier digs now, yippee. How does that affect how they play?

COJOMAY
01-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Hey Stallion -- one step at a time baby!

snowinapril
01-12-2006, 06:54 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Who cares? The players get fancier digs now, yippee. How does that affect how they play?

It is a cornerstone in what the organization thinks of itself which in turn can carry over to the players. It has a lot to do with expectations.

Just like when I where a suit, I feel better. How one feels about themselves is important. How a team feels about itself is even more important = pride = self esteem.

Just like one of those homely people on one of those make over shows.

It says "I" am worth something.

It is a small thing in the sceme of winning on the field, but it is part of the "new look" VIKINGS. Guys are going to be excited to come back and see the changes. It also helps the guys forget about most of the crap that happened this past year. It provides a little bit of a distraction (until it wheres off).

Whatever, positives turn into other positives.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I happen to believe otherwise.

cajunvike
01-12-2006, 07:01 AM
It makes a big difference what your place of work looks like...Mark Cuban gives his player the best of everything...and look at how his team is consistently in the thick of things! I can remember when I lived in Dallas...the Mavs sucked big time...and so did the Cowboys and Rangers for that matter! Oh, the good old days! LOL!!!

Ltrey33
01-12-2006, 07:12 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Wilf is the man

Wurd.

stek
01-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Wilf was one of the best things to happen to this team in a long time.

ItalianStallion
01-12-2006, 08:28 AM
I dunno, I'm sure the Texans have a real nice training facility, but it doesn't change a whole lot. To me giving a player millions per year to play a sport is enough of a "you are important" message. The fact that they get a new foosball table in a lounge doesn't get me too excited.

VikingsTw
01-12-2006, 09:33 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I dunno, I'm sure the Texans have a real nice training facility, but it doesn't change a whole lot. To me giving a player millions per year to play a sport is enough of a "you are important" message. The fact that they get a new foosball table in a lounge doesn't get me too excited.

You sound like Red Mcombs undercover :evil:

NordicNed
01-12-2006, 01:25 PM
I've always believed, you are who you hang with and feel like how you dress..

Saying that, Ziggy has shown and continues to show, he is willing to make the changes to bring a SB to MN....

I think it's great he's taking care of buisness on all sides, facilities, Coaches, and soon I'm sure players......

Way to go Zig.......Keep it up....

Salzy
01-12-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm naming my first born Zygi.

collegeguyjeff
01-12-2006, 03:47 PM
"Robo" wrote:

GIVER KEEP ON SPENDING> YOU HAVE THE BEST FANS IN THE COUNTRY - WE NEED THE BOWL IF YOU BUILD IT , IT WILL COME !!!!

yeah thats for sure and if we can win it the state will be in a frenzy and want more and more of them.

i'd also like to say that redneck was so cheap he wouldn't fix the air conditioning in the locker rooms i think thats where it was at and i think it only costed 40k to fix now thats cheap.

Muggsy
01-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Da article said, dey are improvin' and enlarging da facility cause dey have more people in dere now. Ya needs ta grow as a team, so's ya needs ta have a bigger place for everybody in it, y'know?

It's a little ting, mebbe, but, little tings mean a lot, y'know? When Bud Grant foist came into coachin da Vikes, he instituted a lot of nit-picky rules. A lot of da players started tinkin dat dey had a Mickey Mouse coach, y'know? But, the mental discipline started to seep in after a while, and they became more professional in their attitude because of dat.

Now, Wilf is makin some improvements to da old stadium. May not mean much, but it may make a mental statement dat will rub off on da team, and if it helps da team in da routine runnin' of a franchise, I'm for it. I'm always tryin' ta make improvements in my cell, here, but dey usually involve tunneling out. We almost made it last time, but we tunneled up into a cement factory. Wasn't where we wanted ta go, but at least 10 hardened criminals escaped.

Da guards are makin' da rounds now, so I'll see youse mugs later.

NodakPaul
01-12-2006, 07:33 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

It not only shows a commitment to the players, but also a commitment to the organization and franchise as a whole. With Stadium talks still ongoing, this is a good PR move as well.

I say good job! It is about time that we had an owner who was willing to make a real investment in the team. Skol Zygi!

Navycoach
01-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Found this snippet of an article by Sid Hartman while I was just browsing around . . .

The Vikings have hired the California consulting firm Winner and Mandabach Campaigns to run their public relations campaign to persuade people here to get behind Zygi Wilf's plan to build a football stadium and a $1 billion real estate development in Blaine

ItalianStallion
01-13-2006, 02:17 AM
My only point is, all these people are getting excited about Wilf spending 2 mill on new digs, but it doesn't affect the fans or the play on the field, so who cares? Giving players millions to play the game is enough of a commitment to them in my mind.

coreyd
01-13-2006, 02:19 AM
Last year was his preseason for the team. He had a lot of changes ahead of them and I am glad that he is taking the steps he wants to take. It seems like he has a lot of support behind him and I cant wait to see the final product.

KEEP IT UP WILF!!

NordicNed
01-13-2006, 02:51 AM
"OldManVike" wrote:

Da article said, dey are improvin' and enlarging da facility cause dey have more people in dere now. Ya needs ta grow as a team, so's ya needs ta have a bigger place for everybody in it, y'know?

It's a little ting, mebbe, but, little tings mean a lot, y'know? When Bud Grant foist came into coachin da Vikes, he instituted a lot of nit-picky rules. A lot of da players started tinkin dat dey had a Mickey Mouse coach, y'know? But, the mental discipline started to seep in after a while, and they became more professional in their attitude because of dat.

Now, Wilf is makin some improvements to da old stadium. May not mean much, but it may make a mental statement dat will rub off on da team, and if it helps da team in da routine runnin' of a franchise, I'm for it. I'm always tryin' ta make improvements in my cell, here, but dey usually involve tunneling out. We almost made it last time, but we tunneled up

into a cement factory. Wasn't where we wanted ta go, but at least 10
hardened criminals escaped.

Hey Old Man.....

My wife makes a mean ass cake, and I have some old files I could, (by accident) drop into the batter and send you a nice cake..

I only hope one thing, your soap is on a roap.........

MrGopher16
01-13-2006, 03:20 AM
It should also help our team because according to the article our practice facility was meant for use by fewer players than we currently use now. So now all players should be able to use equipment and have a good amount of space. I could see that helping our team.

jakvike
01-13-2006, 03:38 AM
I would like to say one thing. I am very impressed by Wilf's spending and willingness to get things done. FINALLY!! I really like the decision to bring in Childress. We really needed a total change in both Offense and Defense. We may not Win the division or super bowl next year. But I am already excited for next year. I cannot wait to see how our players and coaches do. I just saw the new assitant coaches hired today. I may disagree with hiring Bevell, but again Childress will be calling the plays. The only thing that scares me is, does Childress have the tenacity and poise to do everything? offense and defense. I understand Tomlin is really good Dbacks coach but i am not so sure he is ready for the big time.
Anyway no matter how next year pans out. I am and will always be a vikings fan. Thank you Wilf you are greatly appreciated.

snowinapril
01-13-2006, 04:02 AM
"OldManVike" wrote:

Now, Wilf is makin some improvements to da old stadium. May not mean much, but it may make a mental statement dat will rub off on da team, and if it helps da team in da routine runnin' of a franchise, I'm for it. I'm always tryin' ta make improvements in my cell, here, but dey usually involve tunneling out. We almost made it last time, but we tunneled up into a cement factory. Wasn't where we wanted ta go, but at least 10 hardened criminals escaped.

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

It not only shows a commitment to the players, but also a commitment to the organization and franchise as a whole. With Stadium talks still ongoing, this is a good PR move as well.

I say good job! It is about time that we had an owner who was willing to make a real investment in the team. Skol Zygi!

Commitment and investment and a few other highlighted words are positive.

run down facility is a negative.

FedjeViking
01-13-2006, 06:04 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

It helps their self esteem and pride in their team. When the boss is willing to spend money on things to make the team look better, and things to help you relax after work, employees are willing to put out a better effort to please that boss.

DogPound
01-13-2006, 06:10 PM
This is a bit off topic ...but does anyone think we will get new jersey's...like a different style?