PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear anything about the Childress/Culpepper meeting?

Prophet
01-11-2006, 04:14 PM
A few days ago there was a meeting between Culpepper and Childress:

KFFL
Vikings | Culpepper to meet with Childress
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 06:24:12 -0800

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings injured QB Daunte Culpepper (knee) has agreed to fly to the Twin Cities from Orlando this week to spend some time visiting with new head coach Brad Childress. "I spoke to Daunte Saturday morning. I had a nice conversation with him," Childress said. "I will have a chance to sit down face-to-face with him here later in the week." Childress wants to tell Culpepper how valuable he is to the team. Apparently, Culpepper is making good progress after undergoing surgery to repair his knee.

Has anyone heard anything about the meeting? It seems strange that there was no press associated with the meeting since their first encounter should be somewhat newsworthy.

ChezPizmo
01-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Ohh... good question.
Now that I think about it... I would like to know also! ;)

Ltrey33
01-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Maybe they haven't met yet?

Prophet
01-11-2006, 06:48 PM
I guess we will be left waiting. I'm sure Singer will have it posted within about 3 min. from when it is released.

RK.
01-11-2006, 09:07 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

I guess we will be left waiting. I'm sure Singer will have it posted within about 3 min. from when it is released. :lol:

COJOMAY
01-14-2006, 02:10 AM
From Star/Tribune

Daunte Culpepper could be ready for very limited activity in Minnesota's minicamps this spring, though it's still far too early to determine whether the Vikings can expect their injured quarterback to start the regular season.

Coach Brad Childress spoke with Culpepper for about 45 minutes on Friday, their first conversation since he took over for the fired Mike Tice last week. Childress didn't characterize the tone, allowing only that it was a "good flow on information back and forth."

But he didn't sound worried about getting Culpepper comfortable with a new offense and coaching staff, even though the best-case scenario for the three-time Pro Bowl pick's full return to the field is sometime during training camp. Typically, a comeback from this injury — three torn ligaments in his right knee suffered on Oct. 30 — takes a calendar year.

"I've been told, at least, that he's got a chance to be capable of maybe doing some footwork-type things," Childress said, referring to a pair of three-day minicamps he has scheduled — the first one set for two weeks before the draft in April. "That wouldn't be any situations where he's running a full 100. None of that kind of stuff. But the footwork, just the things that are inherent to his position.

"I think you have to take it as kind of a one-day-at-a-time thing. He may move ahead, and he may have a setback. It's hard to know without a crystal ball. Different guys heal differently."

Culpepper has kept a low profile and made few public comments since getting hurt in a game against the Carolina Panthers. He is doing most of his rehabilitation in his native Florida, but Childress said he expects Culpepper to be in Minnesota for the team's offseason training and conditioning program that begins on March 20.

When Culpepper got hurt, the Vikings were 2-5. Brad Johnson stepped up and led them to a 7-2 finish, and the veteran has stressed his desire to remain a starter — which could make for a complicated offseason. Culpepper also indicated recently that he preferred to play where he was wanted, a subtle suggestion that he won't accept being a backup if he's healthy.

Without being able to fully practice this spring and summer, Culpepper's progress will be limited. But the coach said Culpepper didn't express any frustration about having to learn a new scheme.

"Nothing's going to hold him back, book-wise. He didn't have a brain injury. He had a knee injury," said Childress, who will install a version of the West Coast system he guided as offensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Another important player, four-time Pro Bowl selection Matt Birk, is on track to return as the starting center, Childress said. Birk missed the entire season following surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left hip — a complication that arose from multiple sports hernias the year before.

DCPologirl
01-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the info. Good to hear about Matt Birk...watch out football world!

Purple_Hope
01-14-2006, 02:13 AM
I would love to see Culpepper come back and prove everybody wrong. This season was terrible for him. Can he do it? I don't know.

MrGopher16
01-14-2006, 02:19 AM
Having those two back and healthy will be huge for our offense.

Freya
01-14-2006, 02:21 AM
I can't wait to get Birk back on the line. Yay!

collegeguyjeff
01-14-2006, 02:23 AM
he can do it cause he don't need the time to throw bombs down the field everytime.

FedjeViking
01-14-2006, 02:25 AM
I want the old Pep back as bad as anyone. But I hope he comes back fully recovered so as another injury from to early a return doesn't happen.

collegeguyjeff
01-14-2006, 05:45 PM
im telling ya if we fix that o line pepper can just stand there and pick his nose and throw when he feels like it ha ha

VKG4LFE
01-14-2006, 05:49 PM
I hope he comes back healthy and better than ever! (but doesn't everybody!?)

Ltrey33
01-14-2006, 06:24 PM
From the Star Tribune....

Vikings: Lots of gaps remain after chat between coach, QB
Brad Childress and Daunte Culpepper talked for 45 minutes by phone, but not much was determined about the quarterback's future.

It took Brad Childress 49 years to get an NFL head coaching job and only a week to track down his presumptive starting quarterback. The Vikings coach finally got quarterback Daunte Culpepper on the phone Friday morning for a 45-minute conversation in lieu of their planned face-to-face meeting.

Childress described the talk in neutral terms, saying "I probably wouldn't characterize it as good or bad," and acknowledged he does not know if Culpepper will be ready to open the season as the Vikings' starting quarterback. Childress, however, made clear he expects Culpepper to participate in the Vikings' offseason conditioning program -- Culpepper typically has trained near his home in Orlando, Fla. -- and said "it's hard to know [Culpepper's future] without a crystal ball."

Culpepper has been rehabilitating his right knee near his home in Orlando but was in the Twin Cities this week in part to meet with Childress. Some members of the organization have had difficulty contacting Culpepper since he suffered three torn ligaments in the knee Oct. 30, and Childress apparently settled for a phone conversation Friday morning.

Culpepper has declined numerous interview requests from the Star Tribune.

Rehabilitation for injuries like Culpepper's typically has taken 12 to 18 months, but the Vikings have said they hope he will be ready for training camp in July. Childress, in fact, said Friday that Culpepper "has a chance of being capable of maybe doing some footwork" drills during spring minicamps.

But Culpepper will sit out all football-related activities as the Vikings convert to a West Coast offense, meaning he will need extensive practice time this summer in order to grow comfortable with the system.

"There are some things that you're going to want to see him do over and over and over again," Childress said. "You can look at tape and see how he's played, the very good years that he's had, but it's so hard until you see him in person doing your stuff. ... You've got to be able to see it here. He's going to be here. It'll be interesting to see how he looks doing this stuff."

Asked if he believed it is realistic that Culpepper will be ready to start the season, Childress said: "Usually elite-caliber athletes have the ability to innovate and adjust. There's a certain amount of athleticism that has to go into it, and obviously a certain amount of knowledge now."

Coaching update

The coaching staff grew to 10 members Friday after Childress hired former St. Louis assistant Matt Sheldon as a defensive assistant and Kevin Stefanski as an assistant to the head coach. Sheldon played defensive back for the Gophers from 1987 to 1991, while Stefanski was an intern for Philadelphia last season.

In other coaching news:

•Childress spoke Friday with strength and conditioning coach Kurtis Shultz but apparently has other candidates to interview.

•Childress said he has targeted a potential special teams coach but hinted the candidate is on the staff of a playoff team, meaning he is not available for interviews.

•If all goes according to plan, Childress hopes to have an assistant head coach on his staff.

•UCLA assistant Eric Bieniemy, who interviewed for the running backs job this week, remains a candidate for the job, Childress said.

• LSU gave the Vikings permission to interview assistant coach Karl Dunbar, likely for their defensive line position, according to the Baton Rouge Advocate. Dunbar coached Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams at Oklahoma State.

Etc.

•In addition to Culpepper, Childress has spoken with receiver Koren Robinson, tight end Jermaine Wiggins, nose tackle Pat Williams and safety Darren Sharper.

WBLVikeBabe
01-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Good read there on Culpepper. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him next year. Sounds like Childress will want him to play but it all depends on how healthy he is. Hopefully he'll be able to heal in time to be able to play. I'd love to see him on the field next year!

Ltrey33
01-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Well, there's not a whole hell of a lot of information about how it went! I guess Childress didn't divulge much. I suppose having it go "not good or bad" is better than having it go bad! :???:

FedjeViking
01-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Here is all I found on the meeting.

Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/182676.html)

Vikings: Lots of gaps remain after chat between coach, QB
Brad Childress and Daunte Culpepper talked for 45 minutes by phone, but
not much was determined about the quarterback's future.
Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: January 14, 2006 – 1:33 AM

It took Brad Childress 49 years to get an NFL head coaching job and only
a week to track down his presumptive starting quarterback. The Vikings
coach finally got quarterback Daunte Culpepper on the phone Friday
morning for a 45-minute conversation in lieu of their planned
face-to-face meeting.

Childress described the talk in neutral terms, saying "I probably
wouldn't characterize it as good or bad," and acknowledged he does not
know if Culpepper will be ready to open the season as the Vikings'
starting quarterback. Childress, however, made clear he expects
Culpepper to participate in the Vikings' offseason conditioning program
-- Culpepper typically has trained near his home in Orlando, Fla. -- and
said "it's hard to know [Culpepper's future] without a crystal ball."

Culpepper has been rehabilitating his right knee near his home in
Orlando but was in the Twin Cities this week in part to meet with
Childress. Some members of the organization have had difficulty
contacting Culpepper since he suffered three torn ligaments in the knee
Oct. 30, and Childress apparently settled for a phone conversation
Friday morning.

Culpepper has declined numerous interview requests from the Star Tribune.

Rehabilitation for injuries like Culpepper's typically has taken 12 to
18 months, but the Vikings have said they hope he will be ready for
training camp in July. Childress, in fact, said Friday that Culpepper
"has a chance of being capable of maybe doing some footwork" drills
during spring minicamps.

But Culpepper will sit out all football-related activities as the
Vikings convert to a West Coast offense, meaning he will need extensive
practice time this summer in order to grow comfortable with the system.

"There are some things that you're going to want to see him do over and
over and over again," Childress said. "You can look at tape and see how
he's played, the very good years that he's had, but it's so hard until
you see him in person doing your stuff. ... You've got to be able to see
it here. He's going to be here. It'll be interesting to see how he looks
doing this stuff."

Asked if he believed it is realistic that Culpepper will be ready to
start the season, Childress said: "Usually elite-caliber athletes have
the ability to innovate and adjust. There's a certain amount of
athleticism that has to go into it, and obviously a certain amount of
knowledge now."

Coaching update

The coaching staff grew to 10 members Friday after Childress hired
former St. Louis assistant Matt Sheldon as a defensive assistant and
Kevin Stefanski as an assistant to the head coach. Sheldon played
defensive back for the Gophers from 1987 to 1991, while Stefanski was an
intern for Philadelphia last season.

In other coaching news:

•Childress spoke Friday with strength and conditioning coach Kurtis
Shultz but apparently has other candidates to interview.

•Childress said he has targeted a potential special teams coach but
hinted the candidate is on the staff of a playoff team, meaning he is
not available for interviews.

•If all goes according to plan, Childress hopes to have an assistant
head coach on his staff.

•UCLA assistant Eric Bieniemy, who interviewed for the running backs job
this week, remains a candidate for the job, Childress said.

• LSU gave the Vikings permission to interview assistant coach Karl
Dunbar, likely for their defensive line position, according to the Baton
Rouge Advocate. Dunbar coached Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams
at Oklahoma State.

Etc.

•In addition to Culpepper, Childress has spoken with receiver Koren
Robinson, tight end Jermaine Wiggins, nose tackle Pat Williams and
safety Darren Sharper.

Ltrey33
01-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey brotha! Check the first page! I just posted that. :grin:

FedjeViking
01-14-2006, 08:19 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

Sorry, When I started setting it up to post, it wasn't there! I read every post. But great minds think alike!

jimmymac
01-14-2006, 08:34 PM
"FedjeViking" wrote:

Here is all I found on the meeting.

Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/182676.html)
... The Vikings coach finally got quarterback Daunte Culpepper on the phone Friday morning for a 45-minute conversation in lieu of their planned face-to-face meeting. ...

They talked on the telephone instead of face to face???!!! That's not a good sign.

DCPologirl
01-14-2006, 09:30 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

You mean sister....Fedje is a woman Itrey lol

SamDawg84
01-14-2006, 09:43 PM
why wont daunte talk to really any 1 from the vikes? thats confusing

PurplePeopleEaters
01-14-2006, 09:48 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ltrey33" wrote:

Ltrey. His name is Ltrey. Right back at ya. :razz:

DCPologirl
01-14-2006, 09:49 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ltrey33" wrote:

Well I know he's a dude lol

ChezPizmo
01-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah Birk missing was a big loss for us this season and a big piece of why we had problems this past year.

Ltrey33
01-14-2006, 10:14 PM

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ltrey33" wrote:

First of all, my bad DC! I'll call her sista from now on!

And thanks for settin her straight PPE!

Mikecarter81
01-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Hum it does bother me that Daunte won't be able to participate in the training camp stuff because I know its one thing to watch it develop on TV or game film a whole other issue to play or practice it. I worry about the Daunte's passing timing which seems very important in this offense.

Mike

FedjeViking
01-14-2006, 10:26 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ltrey33" wrote:

First of all, my bad DC! I'll call her sista from now on!

And thanks for settin her straight PPE!

Now, Now! No fighting! You can call me anything but a Packers fan! :lol:

singersp
01-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Pepp, Childress Meet...Sort Of

By Viking Update Staff
Date: Jan 14, 2006

The scheduled meeting between Daunte Culpepper and Brad Childress took place Friday, but not as most had envisioned.

When word got out that Daunte Culpepper was coming to the Twin Cities from his home in Orlando, it was seen as a solid first step between getting the franchise player and new coach Brad Childress together for their first face-to-face meeting since Childress was hired.

The meeting happened, but to the surprise of many, it was done in a phone conversation that lasted about 45 minutes instead of a face-to-face meeting. Culpepper, who has been evasive about returning calls from the media and the team since his knee surgery, didn't meet up personally with Childress, but the conversation was described by those with knowledge of it as productive.

There have been rumors that Culpepper may want out of his contract in Minnesota, but the Wilf family has strongly defended the fact that Culpepper will get his $6 million roster bonus in March and will remain with the Vikings.

Childress said Friday he is hopeful Culpepper will be ready for the regular-season opener, but with the switch to the West Coast Offense, he will need a lot of practice time to get things right. Hopefully, this will be the start of building a relationship between Childress and Culpepper, because both will need to be on the same page if the Vikings are to be successful in 2006 and beyond.

SATURDAY NOTES

* Rumors continue to persist in Oakland that the Raiders are going to try to package a trade to get Culpepper, but there has been no word on the Vikings' end that such a trade proposal will be made or even seriously considered if it is made.

* The Vikings added two more assistants Friday. Matt Sheldon, a former assistant coach with the Rams, was hired as a defensive assistant and Kevin Stafanski, an intern with the Eagles in 2005, was hired as an assistant to Childress.

* Quote of the week from Childress' agent on the aggressive stance of the Wilf family in getting a deal done with the new coach: "I would not want to compete with them. If they get you to Minnesota, you are not leaving."

* Former coach Mike Tice will have dinner with Jets officials Sunday and have a full-scale interview on Monday. There remains a lot of talk that the Jets' first choice is Pats defensive coordinator Eric Mangini, but the best thing for Tice could be if the Patriots upset the Broncos and Mangini remains unavailable. If that happens, VU has been told Tice could jump up to Plan A and be hired as early as Tuesday.

* Darren Sharper is no stranger to defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin. When Sharper was a freshman at William and Mary, Tomlin was a junior.

NordicNed
01-15-2006, 04:54 PM
I still say this is a rumor started somewhere...

If it did ever happen, I wonder how CPEP and Moss would feel about playing together again?

UTVikfan
01-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Bet they both would love it. CPep to Moss....ahhh, the memories.

whackthepack
01-15-2006, 06:25 PM
I guess I can not understand the attitude from Culpepper! His quote of I do not want to be where I am not wanted makes no since, and that quote was before Tice was fired. I wonder if he was mad that the Vikings were winning with Johnson, or is he mad about getting charged with the things from the love boat? But what ever it is his attitude sucks, he has basically stayed away from Minnesota since he was hurt! He will not talk to the front office people, or his teammates. He showed up for 1 game but was kinda forced into doing that. If he will not meet face to face with his new coach even tho he was in the Twin-cities to have his knee checked, then this sounds to me like he wants out of Minnesota and does not want to be a Viking anymore!

If it is that he does not want to has his family here about the boat cruise crap then Daunte you should not have been getting lap dance, or if it is that the Vikings were winning with out him and he feels that he is not wanted! Then grow up and realize that the NFL does not stop for no man and get your head on straight.

If he wants out then trade him to AZ and reunite him with Denny, save the money and go get Matt Schaub from Atlanta! I think he is going to be a great QB when he gets a chance to start, he is a better passer than Vick and is very poised. Bring him in as Brad replacement, give Brad 1 year more to start and then tell Brad it is time to be a back-up, or retire.

FedjeViking
01-15-2006, 06:44 PM
With the Pep being so closed mouth to the press, and only talking to Childress on the phone, is making me wonder if he may have thoughts of leaving the Vikings!
You know he has heard these rumors, and if they were not true wouldn't he want to at least talk to someone on the team to dispell them?
This whole thing is looking fishy to me. What do you think?

singersp
01-15-2006, 06:44 PM
I think it's media related.

How would you feel if you were injured & already depressed & a back-up QB comes in & wins 6 staight?

How would you feel when the media throws out their standard controversial crap of how Minnesota should bench DC in favor of Brad or we should trade DC?

Not to mention the boat incident where the media has stated we should cut DC & the other players to set an example.

A lot of Minnesotans have been eating up this spoon fed bullshit including some here on P.P.O.

I don't know about you, but if I were DC, I'd feel unwanted myself.

ChiTownVike
01-15-2006, 06:57 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

Thanks for the info. Good to hear about Matt Birk...watch out football world!

I aspecially like the news about Birk

I think he was the key to Culpepper's faults last year,

FedjeViking
01-15-2006, 06:59 PM
"singersp" wrote:

How would you feel if you were injured & already depressed & a back-up QB comes in & wins 6 staight?

How would you feel when the media throws out their standard controversial crap of how Minnesota should bench DC in favor of Brad or we should trade DC?

Not to mention the boat incident where the media has stated we should cut DC & the other players to set an example.

A lot of Minnesotans have been eating up this spoon fed kaka del toro including some here on P.P.O.

I agree with you.

But my questions are ... Is he really thinking about leaving?

Is this why he is saying nothing to anyone?

Why is Childress so quiet about what Pep said in the phone meeting?

It looks like someone would want to quiet the bad rumors.

dfwvike
01-15-2006, 07:30 PM
The neutral conversation comment looks like a bad sign to me. The Vikings could be in a bad spot dependent upon his full recovery and maybe him not wanting to be a Viking anymore.

Based upon talk about the injury, one article said that it could take a year to 18 months for a full recovery. He could be out the whole next season, and he may never be the quarterback he was in 2004.

If he is out the whole next season is it worth keeping him around and paying him a roster bonus the next two springs. He has minimal trade value right now and what impact will he have on the salary cap. Does anyone know?

From a business standpoint what do we do?

FedjeViking
01-15-2006, 07:44 PM
"dfwvike" wrote:

The neutral conversation comment looks like a bad sign to me. The Vikings could be in a bad spot dependent upon his full recovery and maybe him not wanting to be a Viking anymore.

Based upon talk about the injury, one article said that it could take a year to 18 months for a full recovery. He could be out the whole next season, and he may never be the quarterback he was in 2004.

If he is out the whole next season is it worth keeping him around and paying him a roster bonus the next two springs. He has minimal trade value right now and what impact will he have on the salary cap. Does anyone know?

From a business standpoint what do we do?

That's what I'm saying about lack of reporting the conversation.

Childress did address the injury report, the doctors reported he was doing better than expected etc.

Wylf said he was still going to pay Pep his bonus.

So what are we suppose to think? I dunno!

SamDawg84
01-15-2006, 07:48 PM
i almost forgot we got childress lol. i had a seinor moment for a little bit lol

COJOMAY
01-15-2006, 08:47 PM
I find this whole thing with Childress and Culpepper to be "troubling."
Daunte flies all the way up here to meet with Childress and then just talks to him on the phone. What's up with that?
Then there the whole deal about Childress saying that Culpepper needs to be doing summer workouts here in Minnesota and he's always done them in Florida and wants to continue that. Childress says he needs to be up here because of learning the new system. Culpepper seems to not want to comply with that.
Then there rumors about trading him. Maybe that's all they are is rumors but why are they surfacing? Could DC himself be starting them or Childress?
Finally, there's Zygi's remarks about anyone that had something to do with the boat thing being punished. And Culpepper also gets dropped from the Fed-X commerical. Will he no more than comeback and then be benched for three games because of the boat deal? His 2006 season will be a waste. Sygi also offered the $6 million bonus to DC before the boat deal. Would this be an excuse not to pay him?
I just find a whole bunch of things popping up that don't make a lot of sense to me.
I suppose the truth will come out someday but I don't like the way this is shaping up right now.

singersp
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Daunte flies all the way up here to meet with Childress and then just talks to him on the phone. What's up with that?
Then there the whole deal about Childress saying that Culpepper needs to be doing summer workouts here in Minnesota and he's always done them in Florida and wants to continue that. Childress says he needs to be up here because of learning the new system. Culpepper seems to not want to comply with that.
Then there rumors about trading him. Maybe that's all they are is rumors but why are they surfacing? Could DC himself be starting them or Childress?
Finally, there's Zygi's remarks about anyone that had something to do with the boat thing being punished. And Culpepper also gets dropped from the Fed-X commerical. Will he no more than comeback and then be benched for three games because of the boat deal? His 2006 season will be a waste. Sygi also offered the $6 million bonus to DC before the boat deal. Would this be an excuse not to pay him?
I just find a whole bunch of things popping up that don't make a lot of sense to me.
I suppose the truth will come out someday but I don't like the way this is shaping up right now.

A. Zygi stated just recently he will pay DC the 6 mil roster bonus.

B. DC didnt fly up here just to talk with Childress. He came up here to visit with doctors.

FedjeViking
01-15-2006, 10:45 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

B. DC didnt fly up here just to talk with Childress. He came up here to visit with doctors.

A. That's correct

B. If your new boss wanted to talk to you, and you were in town, wouldn't you at least say "Sure, come on over and we'll talk." NOT do it on the phone! Whatever the reason...It doesn't look good!

GreenBaySlackers
01-15-2006, 10:49 PM
"singersp" wrote:

A lot of Minnesotans have been eating up this spoon fed kaka del toro including some here on P.P.O.

wurd

MnFan_in_Canada
01-16-2006, 03:42 PM
"FedjeViking" wrote:

B. If your new boss wanted to talk to you, and you were in town, wouldn't you at least say "Sure, come on over and we'll talk." NOT do it on the phone! Whatever the reason...It doesn't look good!

I agree. When I first heard that the "meeting" took place over the phone it piqued my curiosity. Then within a matter of minutes, the Canadian press in Toronto was reporting the supposed Raider trade interest.... coincidence?

If Pep doesn't want to be here, trade him. If he does, do something to dispell all these rumors. We need to be working toward the same goals. Win the NFC North, Win the NFC title game, Win the Super Bowl. We cannot and will not achieve these goals with players that do not want to be here.

Nightgaunt
01-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Trade Fumble boy already and get it over with, with him here another season we go no better then 9-7 again. He may be athletic and use to be able to keep defenses in check with his running ability. But with this injury he's gonna be a mess next year if he plays. He's not smart and makes bad decsions under pressure and has no clue on how to read a defense. He's a big mental mess and id trade him in a heartbeat if given the chance for a more proven QB whose not such a basket case when its game time. *puts on flame retardent suit*

ultravikingfan
01-16-2006, 05:17 PM
"FedjeViking" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

A. That's correct

C. Don't go by the twist the media is putting on it.

D. I am sure that if they wanted to meet Pep in person that Pep is smart enough to know that.

COJOMAY
01-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Ultra: I'm putting absolutely no twist on this at all from the press. It just seems to me that things don't add up. With Johnson saying he wants to start and thinking he can do so for three or four more years and from the looks of Culpepper's pouting and Shaun Hill is out the door, I bet we're looking for a QB to replace all of them this year in the draft and replace all of them a year from now.

Prophet
01-16-2006, 05:55 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Ultra: I'm putting absolutely no twist on this at all from the press. It just seems to me that things don't add up. With Johnson saying he wants to start and thinking he can do so for three or four more years and from the looks of Culpepper's pouting and Shaun Hill is out the door, I bet we're looking for a QB to replace all of them this year in the draft and replace all of them a year from now.

That seems like a fair conclusion based on the minimal information that we have received. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

ultravikingfan
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I am just saying that the whole phone conversation as opposed to in person may not really mean that much.

My response was directed at Fedje more.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-16-2006, 06:05 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I am just saying that the whole phone conversation as opposed to in person may not really mean that much.

Do you not think it odd that the two didnt meet in person? I mean, come on, the Twin Cities aren't that big. It doesnt take all that long to get from one place to another there.

But I will give you this, we dont know the whole story (will we ever?).

ultravikingfan
01-16-2006, 06:09 PM
"MnFan_in_Canada" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Do you not think it odd that the two didnt meet in person? I mean, come on, the Twin Cities aren't that big. It doesnt take all that long to get from one place to another there.

But I will give you this, we dont know the whole story (will we ever?).

You never know. Maybe its not a big deal at all, thus the phone conversation.

SharperVikings
01-16-2006, 06:13 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Yes this is exactly what Ive been thinking!! Its like the media hates DC. Its just like, he gets injured..and us vikings fans just start to love brad for turning the season around. Hes caught on to the whole thing were when he does good we praise him, and when he sucks we hate him horribly idea, and I think hes out to prove next season...whether its here or somewhere else! I do think hes here to stay, but I think hes kept quiet and away from the media because he thinks its him against the world right now..Hes just going to come out and prove everyone wrong next year, and I cant wait to see it.....but I do hope he is smart with his rehab! :lol: :lol:

UTVikfan
01-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Nightgaunt where are all these "proven" QBs your talking about? PManning? yeah, you gonna trade for him? Rothlisberger? Yeah, Pittsburgh is gonna come begging to get rid of him. Who else? Palmer? Yah, they are begging to get rid of him in Cinci....goodness. Your playing fantasy football?

Your best FA that I know of, this year, is John Kitna. He IS good....as good as CPep? not in the ballpark. Are you really gonna lure him away from Cinci? Bet not. From there, ...Koy Detmer...he's proven right? Just for all the wrong reasons..."I'm batman!" or was that his brother...I am a UofU fan, not BYU. Griese? Ummm, not Bob. Yeah, lets go get a "great proven quarterback" for a song and a dance. Who exactly of these wonderful "experienced quarterbacks are you gonna get? Kerry Collins? Give me a break. You think "Fumblepepper" is a problem...wait til you find out why both NY and Oakland gave KCollins away...well Oakland hasn't yet that I know of, but who in their right mind would keep him.

Glad you put your "flame retarded suit" on, but, ummm, seriously...you gonna have a case of rookie QB learning along with rookie coach learning (note...see Eli Manning)? Where exactly is this guy your gonna bring in? Jay Fiedler to the rescue? LOL, look at his stats the year before this one...ummm, Cpeps. =).

singersp
01-16-2006, 07:41 PM
"UTVikfan" wrote:

"Fumblepepper" is a problem...wait til you find out why both NY and Oakland gave KCollins away...well Oakland hasn't yet that I know of, but who in their right mind would keep him.

There's a reason that there's rumors that Oakland wants C-Pep. And it isn't because they want to trade down! :wink:

Nightgaunt
01-16-2006, 08:38 PM
"UTVikfan" wrote:

Nightgaunt where are all these "proven" QBs your talking about? PManning? yeah, you gonna trade for him? Rothlisberger? Yeah, Pittsburgh is gonna come begging to get rid of him. Who else? Palmer? Yah, they are begging to get rid of him in Cinci....goodness. Your playing fantasy football?

Your best FA that I know of, this year, is John Kitna. He IS good....as good as CPep? not in the ballpark. Are you really gonna lure him away from Cinci? Bet not. From there, ...Koy Detmer...he's proven right? Just for all the wrong reasons..."I'm batman!" or was that his brother...I am a UofU fan, not BYU. Griese? Ummm, not Bob. Yeah, lets go get a "great proven quarterback" for a song and a dance. Who exactly of these wonderful "experienced quarterbacks are you gonna get? Kerry Collins? Give me a break. You think "Fumblepepper" is a problem...wait til you find out why both NY and Oakland gave KCollins away...well Oakland hasn't yet that I know of, but who in their right mind would keep him.

Glad you put your "flame Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd suit" on, but, ummm, seriously...you gonna have a case of rookie QB learning along with rookie coach learning (note...see Eli Manning)? Where exactly is this guy your gonna bring in? Jay Fiedler to the rescue? LOL, look at his stats the year before this one...ummm, Cpeps. =).

Ok, Make sure your here next year for your huge serving of Crow when CPep proves it was Randy Moss who made him not CPep who made Moss. Dont gimme this BS about Moss numbers this year either, he's been a injured mess and Raiders have no freeking idea how to use him like we did.

singersp
01-16-2006, 08:52 PM
"Nightgaunt" wrote:

Ok, Make sure your here next year for your huge serving of Crow when CPep proves it was Randy Moss who made him not CPep who made Moss. Dont gimme this BS about Moss numbers this year either, he's been a injured mess and Raiders have no freeking idea how to use him like we did.

:roll: And yet another thread goes Moss made Culpepper!

SharperVikings
01-16-2006, 08:54 PM
"Nightgaunt" wrote:

"UTVikfan" wrote:

Glad you put your "flame Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd suit" on, but, ummm, seriously...you gonna have a case of rookie QB learning along with rookie coach learning (note...see Eli Manning)? Where exactly is this guy your gonna bring in? Jay Fiedler to the rescue? LOL, look at his stats the year before this one...ummm, Cpeps. =).

Niether of them made Niether of them...They benefited from eachother. Culpepper missed the extra help from birk this year!..also, notice just when johnson start the win the o-line seems to start to get better....

mcilrath
01-16-2006, 09:17 PM
If my boss's going to hand me six million dollars in a few weeks, I'm knocking on his door with coffee & a newspaper. I'm not calling him from across town after flying in from Florida. That's another bad decision under pressure.

I'm with Nightgaunt. They're still bringing in people to develop Culpepper & he's 28 years old with a reconstructed knee.

collegeguyjeff
01-16-2006, 09:27 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

i think there is something fishy going on

FedjeViking
01-16-2006, 10:01 PM
"MnFan_in_Canada" wrote:

"FedjeViking" wrote:

I agree. When I first heard that the "meeting" took place over the phone it piqued my curiosity. Then within a matter of minutes, the Canadian press in Toronto was reporting the supposed Raider trade interest.... coincidence?

If Pep doesn't want to be here, trade him. If he does, do something to dispell all these rumors. We need to be working toward the same goals. Win the NFC North, Win the NFC title game, Win the Super Bowl. We cannot and will not achieve these goals with players that do not want to be here.

Exactly!!

umaguma1979
01-17-2006, 12:39 AM
I think the Vikings will draft a QB this year. I think BJ will start this year because Pep will not be ready. BJ will play well enough that a Qb will not be made in the middle of the year. Pep will be traded following the 2006 season and the new QB (perhaps Jay Cutler) will start at some point in 2007. Childress was a vision and if the players don't fit his system they won't be around.

FedjeViking
01-17-2006, 01:18 AM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

I think the Vikings will draft a QB this year. I think BJ will start this year because Pep will not be ready. BJ will play well enough that a Qb will not be made in the middle of the year. Pep will be traded following the 2006 season and the new QB (perhaps Jay Cutler) will start at some point in 2007. Childress was a vision and if the players don't fit his system they won't be around.

It looks that way to me also. Even with all the college coaches he's hiring. He has a plan, but I don't see a Superbowl for a couple of years in the plan.

mogwai
01-17-2006, 01:40 AM
trade daunte if he wants out.trade for matt schaub{ he's in a wco already}start brad next season so matt can get childress'scheme,come 2007 it's matt's team...just a thought

GreenBaySlackers
01-17-2006, 01:58 AM
"mogwai" wrote:

trade daunte if he wants out.trade for matt schaub{ he's in a wco already}start brad next season so matt can get childress'scheme,come 2007 it's matt's team...just a thought

yeah, CPepp and the falcons would be all over that trade... :roll:

Ltrey33
01-17-2006, 02:07 AM
"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

"mogwai" wrote:

yeah, CPepp and the falcons would be all over that trade... :roll:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're smitten with Vick.

mogwai
01-17-2006, 02:11 AM
i didn't mean trade pep to atlanta. make2 trades sorry for the confusion

Prophet
01-17-2006, 03:25 PM
POSTED 8:12 a.m. EST, January 17, 2006
DAUNTE DONE IN MINNY?
Mike Florio (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

At a time when many of our readers are asking whether quarterback Daunte Culpepper wants out of Minnesota, we're hearing that the Vikings could be the ones making the decision for him.

The thinking is that new Vikings coach Brad Childress doesn't believe that Culpepper will be able to run the West Coast offense, since Culpepper hasn't shown a consistent ability to change plays based on the looks he is getting from the defense. Indeed, his only pre-snap aptitude that we've ever detected was his propensity to spot single coverage on receiver Randy Moss -- and then to chuck the ball to him deep.

The separate, and more significant, issue is Culpepper's knee, which was blown apart on October 30 at Carolina. Even if he is able to start the first regular season game, he'll need every snap in the offseason, training camp, and the preseason to enable him to get ready to run a new offense.

So it could be that, a year after the Vikings shipped Moss out of town for a relatively light package of picks and a player who didn't really contribute in 2005, the Vikes might send packing the guy who supposedly wanted Randy's bad influence out of the way so that he could lead the team without being undermined.

The objective evidence points to problems. (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/182676.html) Culpepper and Childress have yet to meet in person, and Daunte has been dissing members of the organization ever since he became a forgotten man during the team's improbable six-game winning streak. Pending criminal charges for something he claims he didn't do doesn't help matters, either.

An industry source tells us that Daunte is merely laying low as he considers the various changes to the organization, but we've got a feeling that, even if there's nothing more to it right now, it's heading in the direction of a divorce.

If Daunte is going to get moved, possible destinations are Arizona, Oakland, Miami (if offensive coordinator Scott Linehan stays), and St. Louis (if Linehan becomes the next head coach of the Rams). The Vikings have the cap room to make the move, and Culpepper's value isn't going to get any higher if he struggles for a year or two learning the new attack.

So keep an eye on this one. Barring a public smooch-fest in the near future, our guess is that the new direction in Minny won't include the quarterback whom many thought would lead the team into the next decade.

Mr Anderson
01-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Shit.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-17-2006, 03:38 PM
It certainly is a believable scenario. If they do trade DC, I hope they get a better package of draft picks than they got for Moss. I have thought all along (especially since the now famous phone call meeting) that the Vikes will trade DC and draft a QB. That will open the way for BJ to start and allow him to mentor the new QB, whoever it may be.

NordicNed
01-17-2006, 03:51 PM
As I said before,

This is going to be one hell of an off season, and next season should be an interesting one for sure...

I like what Childress is doing and I believe he has a solid plan to lead us to some very good times. I also like the fact, it seems Ziggy has his back all the way.

As for reaching the Super Bowl in his first year as our Coach and the new look team that is sure to be heading our way, well in this day and age of FAgency.....Almost anything is possible, I've seen teams go from the top of their division to the bottom over night because of FA ...IE: Greenbay..

And I've seen teams push the envelope as a contender, coming out of nowhere, IE: Bengals, Bears.....

I almost always say this is our year, even if in my heart I think NOT...

If Childress is as good a Coach as they say,and his young guns come in with guns a blazing and our new look team grasps his plan and exacutes it to a tee by mid season....Why not the Super Bowl....

I think it's possible, and I'll be cheering all the way till the fat lady sings..

SKOL

VikingNed

Mr Anderson
01-17-2006, 03:59 PM
If we do trade him, we better get a top 5 pick, and a veteran offensive lineman, a good veteran lineman.

I really hope we don't trade him.

singersp
01-17-2006, 03:59 PM
What bothers me the most is neither DC nor the Vikings organization has spoke out & either squashed these rumors or validated them.

Prophet
01-17-2006, 04:03 PM
"singersp" wrote:

What bothers me the most is neither DC nor the Vikings organization has spoke out & either squashed these rumors or validated them.

Me too, hence the rumors. It is rather suspect.

ChezPizmo
01-17-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm all confoozed...

MnFan_in_Canada
01-17-2006, 04:06 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Me too, hence the rumors. It is rather suspect.

Until we get a denial or a confirmation, the rumors will run wild. All it will take is a statement from DC or BC to dispell these rumors. I know BC has said Pep is his QB but come on, all Pep could do was call his new head coach???? Something doesnt smell right.

Del Rio
01-17-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm not too optimistic about this.

Culpepper has issues in the head. It shows on the field and it is showing more now then ever.

To me it seems like he is pouting. He is getting heat from the boat incident, his ability was being questioned, his cushy buddy coach got fired.....

STFU and get your ass ready to play, or ship out. If you can't figure out a way to deal with this pressure that you would get ANYWHERE if you did the stupid shit you did or played like you did, then it is obvious you can't handle the pressure in a big game.

Obviously the owner loves Daunte, obviously the coach and the team want him back, I'd say 80%+ of the fans love the guy. Why in the hell is he dragging his feet? He needs to be proactive and part of the team he is the leader of the team........

Prophet
01-17-2006, 04:13 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I'm not too optimistic about this.

Culpepper has issues in the head. It shows on the field and it is showing more now then ever.

To me it seems like he is pouting. He is getting heat from the boat incident, his ability was being questioned, his cushy buddy coach got fired.....

STFU and get your jiggly butt ready to play, or ship out. If you can't figure out a way to deal with this pressure that you would get ANYWHERE if you did the stupid pooh you did or played like you did, then it is obvious you can't handle the pressure in a big game.

Obviously the owner loves Daunte, obviously the coach and the team want him back, I'd say 80%+ of the fans love the guy. Why in the hell is he dragging his feet? He needs to be proactive and part of the team he is the leader of the team........

Well put. You hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. If he can't handle this pressure then hit the road....and I'm a Daunte supporter typically.

I'm ready for the new era. If that means a new QB then I'm for it. If it means sticking with Daunte I'm for that too. Either way the team chemistry needs to start happening now, this perceived QB situation needs to be addressed. The team needs a field general and I'm sure the players that are going to be around or that are deciding whether or not they want to be around want to know what is going to happen with the QB situation.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-17-2006, 04:15 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Either way the team chemistry needs to start happening now.....

EXACTLY!

NordicNed
01-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Well Del,

I will have to agree with you on all of that.....

But since PEP isn't doing much but dragging his ass lately, I have a feeling he won't be in Purple for long...

Maybe I'm wrong, but sure looks like Childress has made up his mind on a direction he wants to take this team on, and if PEP doesn't come around soon I believe the Viking Ship will leave him behind without a second thought..

Do I want to see this? NO not really, but I'm more concerned about winning and having a team of players I can be proud of. Not just one elite player that wants to lead when he wants to, and drag his as when he doesn't feel like it....

MnFan_in_Canada
01-17-2006, 04:21 PM
The longer Pep drags his feet the less of a chance he has of being part of this revival. I mean after all, he is either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Del Rio
01-17-2006, 04:25 PM
I don't know what is going on, but if the team wants him the players should at least once go visit him soon.

If they visit him and that doesn't get his motor running I would shop him.

NordicNed
01-17-2006, 04:34 PM
I'de find it hard to believe, no team mates have visited PeP, at his home yet..

But I haven't read about anyone doing so yet.........

I know for sure, if I was a player and my team mate went down like that, I'de be at his door the next day, asking what I could do for him...

I'de have to think, someone has meet him already though.....

MnFan_in_Canada
01-17-2006, 04:36 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

I know for sure, if I was a player and my team mate went down like that, I'de be at his door the next day, asking what I could do for him...

One would think he would have had visitors by now. But if he hasn't, that really speaks to what kind of team leader he really is.

Del Rio
01-17-2006, 04:40 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

I don't know that it would have been made news by the media for sure, but I am almost possitive you would have heard something from someone if some of his team had actually gone to see him.

bfld
01-17-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm no CP fan, but I can't see how a trade happens unless the Vukings are willing to really take it in the shorts. Any team looking at him sees (1) a big contract they'll have to live with, (2) a crap-shoot as to when and how well he'll be able to play, and (3) continued demonstration that on and off the field you can't be too confident of his head. I'm afraid that we're stuck with him.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-17-2006, 05:05 PM
"bfld" wrote:

I'm no CP fan, but I can't see how a trade happens unless the Vukings are willing to really take it in the shorts. Any team looking at him sees (1) a big contract they'll have to live with, (2) a crap-shoot as to when and how well he'll be able to play, and (3) continued demonstration that on and off the field you can't be too confident of his head. I'm afraid that we're stuck with him.

Seems to me those are the same three things the Raiders had to take into account when they traded for Moss. Granted, Moss' injury wasn't nearly as bad as Peps, but by all accounts he will make a full recovery. I think there is a fairly good size market out there for him. Especially considering how desperate they are for a quality QB in both Zona and Oakland.

whackthepack
01-17-2006, 05:10 PM
"mogwai" wrote:

I said the same thing on page 3 of this thread. at least somebody else thinks the way I do.

And for the people saying that we should trade Daunte for a high draft pick, I do not see how we could get much for him, he is hurt and is do a 6 million bonus March 1st. What team is going to trade a top 5 pick for somebody that might be able to play by the start of the season (big might).

I would not trade a top 5 pick if I was a GM, we might get nothing worth while for him. But if he does not want to be here, we might have to take what we can get like we had to with Randy.

COJOMAY
01-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Either way the team chemistry needs to start happening now.....

WURD!

snowinapril
01-17-2006, 06:22 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

It was when the news about DC was that he was depressed, blah blah blah, that NFL TA did the VIkes cam and spoke with Bennet. It was the week after the injury, and Bennet was over at DC's playing video games with him. He said that DC was in good spirits.

We just don't here about it.

These guys are work mates, when they go home, they have lives. I don't need the people I work with checking on me everyday. I am sure the closer friends call. I am sure that not all teamates are buddy-buddy, it is difficult to spread ones friendships that thin.

Del Rio
01-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Regardless of who has visited who has not bothered, the coach has tried and the owner is spending cash he very well could have held onto.

If Culpepper doesn't step up as a leader soon, and embrace the team, embrace the role, then he needs to be embracing a different colored jersey.

cajunvike
01-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Way to tell 'em, Del!!!

FedjeViking
01-18-2006, 12:01 AM
The whole mess just plain SUCKS!! :boohoo:

midgensa
01-18-2006, 12:06 AM
As Fergie would say "I don't need no drama" :lol:

I don't really care about all this crap right now ... if we trade him fine ... it means it was what was best because that is how these guys running our organization are operating.
I would like to see Pep make a public statement of some sort to show he is in good spirits and ready to go ... but either way ... he will either be our starter or he won't ... it is that simple and at this point, whichever it is ... I trust the upper offices to make the right decision.

Mr. Purple
01-18-2006, 12:17 AM
If we do Trade Daunte, we better be gettin a fuggin Good player or a high draft pick. If Daunte wants to play for us and Childress wants him here then lead the way Daunte! If not, then get outta here and we'll bring in someone else.

FedjeViking
01-18-2006, 12:21 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

If we do Trade Daunte, we better be gettin a fuggin Good player or a high draft pick. If Daunte wants to play for us and Childress wants him here then lead the way Daunte! If not, then get outta here and we'll bring in someone else.

Won't happen with his injury.

snowinapril
01-18-2006, 12:37 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Regardless of who has visited who has not bothered, the coach has tried and the owner is spending cash he very well could have held onto.

If Culpepper doesn't step up as a leader soon, and embrace the team, embrace the role, then he needs to be embracing a different colored jersey.

Del, you are kinda cranky today :?: :?:

Those are very straight forward comments, very proactive. I for one am not opposed to anything that you said in that quote.

IMO, DC tried too hard last year to be the "on the field leader" that everyone thought he should be. I want to see him get another chance in Purple and Gold. I am not willing to give up on him after multiple years of progression coming into this past season, then him playing to prove thing for himself, Randy's Ghost and Tice's Job while throwing tons of INTs, only to cap his season off with a season ending injury.

Also, IMO, it doesn't appear going into this season that DC did his homework. Someone like Manning, who you know did his homework, didn't win, let alone get to the SuperBowl this year either. In a players own mind, they both failed, failed to get to the SuperBowl. I hope that DC prepares himself mentally better this season than last, but even the best preparations aren't a guarantee to a SB invite.

Mr. Purple
01-18-2006, 12:37 AM
We could easliy get a good player or high draft pick for Daunte. Team's would be willing to take a risk on his injury.

snowinapril
01-18-2006, 12:43 AM

We could easliy get a good player or high draft pick for Daunte. Team's would be willing to take a risk on his injury.

There is always someone that is enamored with a certain player.

Shop 'til you drop, if that is what the ORG wants?

Del Rio
01-18-2006, 02:14 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Del, you are kinda cranky today :?: :?:

Those are very straight forward comments, very proactive. I for one am not opposed to anything that you said in that quote.

IMO, DC tried too hard last year to be the "on the field leader" that everyone thought he should be. I want to see him get another chance in Purple and Gold. I am not willing to give up on him after multiple years of progression coming into this past season, then him playing to prove thing for himself, Randy's Ghost and Tice's Job while throwing tons of INTs, only to cap his season off with a season ending injury.

Also, IMO, it doesn't appear going into this season that DC did his homework. Someone like Manning, who you know did his homework, didn't win, let alone get to the SuperBowl this year either. In a players own mind, they both failed, failed to get to the SuperBowl. I hope that DC prepares himself mentally better this season than last, but even the best preparations aren't a guarantee to a SB invite.

Not particularly cranky no.

The issue for me is he seems to be "trying" to seperate himself from the team. I guess there are just too many unknowns right now.

Best case scenerio he come back better then ever ready to play.

After watching him over the last few years and seeing how he manages games and deals with pressure, applying that to this situation it just doesn't look good from my viewpoint.

All I am saying is if he wants to pout and if he doesn't step up and embrace this new coach and take control of his team then he might as well not be here.

I don't know if he will or wont, I hope he does.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-18-2006, 03:38 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

....The issue for me is he seems to be "trying" to seperate himself from the team.....

EXACTLY

As I said earlier, either he steps up and says he wants to be part of this team or he admits that he wants out. If he wants out, get ride of him. He is either part of the solution or part of the problem. I am sure Oakland or Zona would love to have him.

SamDawg84
01-18-2006, 03:42 PM
he never said he wants out he said that if he isnt wanted then he would like to be traded and from what ive seeen he is wanted so thats not an issue

he isnt trying to seperate himself from the team he is just rehabbing in his hometown so he can be close to his family and so he doesnt get hurt in mn in the cold he might slip on the ice or something and his leg would heal better in the warm weather

Del Rio
01-18-2006, 03:47 PM
LOL

Paulbedy59
01-18-2006, 04:22 PM
I agree.he seems to be off pouting everywhere but where he should be.Hey.your either part of the problem or part of the solution! Daunte right now seems like he wants to be a problem.

Lando
01-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Childress Unsure of Culpepper’s Recovery Premium Story
Daunte Culpepper
Daunte Culpepper

By Tim Yotter

Date: Jan 18, 2006

When head coach Brad Childress wouldn’t characterize a conversation he had with quarterback Daunte Culpepper late last week as good or bad, it set off a wave of speculation about Culpepper’s future. See nearly every word Childress had to say on the matter before judging for yourself.

When Vikings coach Brad Childress spoke with quarterback Daunte Culpepper on the phone for 45 minutes last Friday and said he “probably wouldn’t characterize it any way, good or bad – it was just a conversation,” it became speculative material for those who believe there is a deteriorating relationship between Culpepper and the organization.

Who knows? There might be, but for now Culpepper isn’t talking and Childress wants there to be one voice for the Vikings – his.

Childress’ voice on the matter didn’t seem to be leaning one way or another on how much faith he had in Culpepper’s ability to come back and be ready at the beginning of the 2006 season despite three torn ligaments suffered in an Oct. 30, 2005 game.

“That’s a one-year injury. With that said, all guys are different,” Childress said. “Even though a guy feels great, that doesn’t mean structurally he can do what he thinks he feels like he can do. I think we’ll make sure we take care of that, and then when you get toward the back end of that thing – nine months, 10 months, 11 months – maybe you’re going to try and get a feel for all those football-type things. I’ve been told he’s got a chance to maybe be capable of doing some footwork-type things in some of the minicamps.

“I think you just have to take it as a one-day-at-a-time thing. You may move ahead or he may have a setback. It’s hard to know without a crystal ball. Different guys heal differently.”

Culpepper had reportedly lost weight in the months following his injury, but there also seems to be the sentiment that he hasn’t been in the most communicative of moods since suffering the serious knee injury. Childress said his conversation with the quarterback was simply an exchange of information.

Viking Update asked Childress if it was realistic to expect Culpepper to be ready to start the start the season if he isn’t able to practice for most of the offseason or even into training camp.

“Usually the elite-caliber athletes have the ability to innovate and adjust,” he said. “There is a certain amount of athleticism that has got to go into it and obviously a certain amount of knowledge. With that said, nothing is going to hold him back book-wise. He didn’t have a brain injury; he had a knee injury, so he should be right up to speed with it. The other part of that is getting the book on the field after you have to do it full speed.”

The rehabilitation process could be as hard on Culpepper emotionally as it is physically. It will take time, and the Vikings are just hoping to see progress at each major step along the way, from the offseason program to the summer developmental camps to training camp.

“The first thing is whether he’s going to be able to protect himself based on the way he plays. Those are doctor’s decisions. Is he physically up to snuff enough with strength and stabilization and things like that?” Childress said. “The football part is, where is he cardio-wise, where is he football-conditioning wise? OK, you say he’s stabile enough. Now let’s go out and do some things that you do football-wise and now the leg is fatigued, the training camp-type of things – you have to see how that thing operates when it’s tired. Those are all checkmarks that you go through as you go through training camp to be able to take that first hit and realize, hey, that thing’s stabile. You have to get by those fears, where you’re not thinking about the leg. It’s hard enough to think about the opposing defenses as opposed to thinking about, do you have all your faculties.”

Even with all the questions surrounding Culpepper’s emotional state and if and when he’ll be able to fully recover from the injury, Childress knows how good Culpepper can be. Childress said Culpepper was the Eagles’ second-ranked quarterback in the 1999 NFL draft, right behind Donovan McNabb, whom the Eagles selected with the second overall pick in that draft. Culpepper, drafted 11th overall, was the fourth QB taken in 1999, behind Tim Couch (first), McNabb and Akili Smith (third). Cade McNown was selected with the 12th pick.

“I did a book on him that first year when we were trying to learn what those guys do. … You can look at tape and see the very good years he’s had, but it’s so hard until you see him in person doing your stuff. That’s the kind of vision you have to have when you draft somebody,” Childress said.

With a $6 million signing bonus due in March that the Vikings have said they’ll pay and rumors about the Raiders being interested in acquiring Culpepper, all bets are off on Culpepper’s future, at least until the team sees what he can do and if he shows up for the offseason conditioning program, which Childress said will start on March 20. At that point, Childress said he’s sure Culpepper will want “to put his best foot forward.”

ItalianStallion
01-18-2006, 04:26 PM
My biggest beef with trading him is that I don't think we will get a lot because he is injured, maybe a first rounder but not much more. To me, that is a waste.

cogitans
01-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Dosn't anyone feel concerned that we should give up our franchise QB, as well as a salary cap penalty, in a league that at the same time has a serious shortage of quality QB's.

Surely I agree that there is no reason in keeping a guy if he dosn't want to be a part of the team, but I feel we could be paying a high price for such a move.

2beersTommy
01-18-2006, 04:30 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

Dosn't anyone feel concerned that we should give up our franchise QB, as well as a salary cap penalty, in a league that at the same time has a serious shortage of quality QB's.

Surely I agree that there is no reason in keeping a guy if he dosn't want to be a part of the team, but I feel we could be paying a high price for such a move.

hey, if he doesnt want to be here..then dont, IMO the longer this goes on, the more will say they dont want him here either

MnFan_in_Canada
01-18-2006, 04:33 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

Yes, losing a franchise QB does bother me. But what kind of will to win will he (or anyone else for that matter) have if he truly doesn't want to be a Viking? I like DC. I think he is a great QB. I hope he comes out and says he wants to be a Viking. But if he doesnt, I think having him on the roster would be more harmful than good.

whackthepack
01-18-2006, 04:50 PM
"MnFan_in_Canada" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

Yes, losing a franchise QB does bother me. But what kind of will to win will he (or anyone else for that matter) have if he truly doesn't want to be a Viking? I like DC. I think he is a great QB. I hope he comes out and says he wants to be a Viking. But if he doesnt, I think having him on the roster would be more harmful than good.

I agree, what is his problem? If he wants to be the Vikes QB why isn't he here meeting with the new coaches, and making statements about his future with the Vikes. Instead he is sulking at home, and making statements about if he is not wanted! Grow up C-pep and quit acting like a child! Even if he doesn't want to be here the best chance he has of being traded is to at least say that he wants to be here, and that he is going to be ready for the season. But he acts like a 2 year old and says that if they don't want me then I am going to take my ball and go home!

MnFan_in_Canada
01-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Just saw this at yahoo...More Pep speculation

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AukeYKq4Iick7JJcuU9CnytDubYF?slug=citadel-2_490232_63&prov=citadel&type=story

Scroll down to the notes section.

Ltrey33
01-18-2006, 04:56 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"MnFan_in_Canada" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

I agree, what is his problem? If he wants to be the Vikes QB why isn't he here meeting with the new coaches, and making statements about his future with the Vikes. Instead he is sulking at home, and making statements about if he is not wanted! Grow up C-pep and quit acting like a child! Even if he doesn't want to be here the best chance he has of being traded is to at least say that he wants to be here, and that he is going to be ready for the season. But he acts like a 2 year old and says that if they don't want me then I am going to take my ball and go home!

I agree 100%. If I were in Daunte's position I would be front and center for everything, trying to build relationships with my new coaches and making sure that no move was made without commenting on it as the "leader" of team.

Prophet
01-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Trade Culpepper?
Jan 17 2006 02:29 PM PST
Link (http://www.protrade.com/insight/InsightArticleDetail.html?sp=KRC778656&sp=S%2Fprotrade%2Fnews%2Fbreaking%2F&x=x)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the Vikings have hired former Eagles' offensive coordinator Brad Childress as their new head coach, it's time to address the quarterback situation.

In Philadelphia, Childress worked extensively with Donovan McNabb, a quarterback with similar skills to Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper. Both have found success as pocket-passers and scramblers.

But Culpepper's future is murky. He's recovering from a horrific injury in which he tore three knee ligaments, while fending off the reality that he embarrassed the organization, allegedly involved in the team's infamous "sex boat" scandal.

Culpepper had a career season in 2004, earning a staggering $139.46, the highest dividend total in PROTRADE history, while throwing for 4,700 yards and 39 touchdowns. Thirteen of those touchdown passes went to his favorite target, WR Randy Moss.

Surprisingly, the team traded Moss during the offseason. Culpepper got off to a rocky start in 2005 ($11.81 '05 season dividends), throwing twelve interceptions and just six touchdowns while the Vikings started 2-5 before his injury.

QB Brad Johnson ($18.07) stepped right in and immediately righted the ship. He led the Vikes to six straight victories, throwing twelve touchdown passes versus only four interceptions, nearly leading the team to the playoffs.

Success or not, Minnesota under Johnson scored just 306 points and earned $135.99 versus 405 and $343.72 in '04. Consider that Culpepper alone outproduced the entire Vikings effort on offense.

Minnesota saw its production fall 78% at QB and 43% at wide receiver, where Travis Taylor ($13.93) replaced Moss ($27.88 in '04) and Nathan Burleson's production plummeted to 90% to $4.46.

With such a serious injury, the Vikings don't know if Culpepper will be ready for training camp next season, and no one knows how effective he will be when he does return. Johnson is a winner, but he turns 38 in September and isn't a long term solution.

Maybe the Vikings should trade Culpepper for a couple of high draft picks and start the rebuilding process under this new coaching regime. He would look pretty good reunited with his former coach in Arizona throwing to two young All-Pro receivers.

snowinapril
01-18-2006, 05:57 PM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

he never said he wants out he said that if he isnt wanted then he would like to be traded and from what ive seeen he is wanted so thats not an issue

he isnt trying to seperate himself from the team he is just rehabbing in his hometown so he can be close to his family and so he doesnt get hurt in mn in the cold he might slip on the ice or something and his leg would heal better in the warm weather

I think it is mainly about rehabbing and family.

I also haven't seen anything except speculation from writers that suggest that he is on the outs with the coach. For all we know, the coach has probably told him to keep rehabbing. For all we know the HC talked to him on the phone.

The one thing I know for certain is that Childress had high regards for DC in the intro-PC that he held. If they decide to get rid of DC, I can't say how it would affect my impression of the HC. If DC was traded, then I would have to reconsider if Childress ever like McNabb as a QB. The comparison was of the two by our new HC was very similar in skill.

All we can do is speculate at this point.

This whole Viking season should have an astrisk by it.

*FUBAR

Moss Trade*
Birk*
Bengals Game*
Strippers*
Al and Alma's*
DC's Knee*
Smoot*
Napo*
Tice's Knee*
Tice*

COJOMAY
01-18-2006, 06:02 PM
snowinapril says:

The one thing I know for certain is that Childress had high regards for DC in the intro-PC that he held. If they decide to get rid of DC, I can't say how it would affect my impression of the HC.
Might that be why he said what he did? Just a thought.

snowinapril
01-18-2006, 06:14 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

snowinapril says:

The one thing I know for certain is that Childress had high regards for DC in the intro-PC that he held. If they decide to get rid of DC, I can't say how it would affect my impression of the HC.
Might that be why he said what he did? Just a thought.

Cojo, you missed an important part of my quote, the comparison to McNabb.

If he compared McNabb and DC, both were in the top 5 QBs the year before, and he doesn't like DC and wants to get rid of him, that would be nuts. That is just plain crazy.

It could be edification, build DC up to get the most out of him in a trade or on the field. But, I just don't see it. The only question I could ask at this time is WHY? The same question I asked about Moss, that trade certainly didn't improve our team this season. At this point, we just need to sell our team as scrap metal if we trade DC. Oh well?

Del Rio
01-18-2006, 06:30 PM
There are many questions Childress seams to have about Culpepper, a lot of uncertainty with his rehab and it is a waiting game.

That's a serious gamble. One that Culpepper should address and appreciate.

Like I said we keep hearing the same 2 stories twisted and rephrased, I don't expect Childress will hold onto Culpepper if he doesn't warm up to the new route the team is going, even if he is similar to Mcnabb.

It's a waiting game. I think Daunte has earned the patience of the organization and deserves the time, I also think the organization and fans who back him deserve his enthusiasm, uncertainty, resolve, or whatever he feels.

My honest opinion is he is pissed because the media, the state came down on him hard for his boat trip. Guy is married, you know the conversation with his wife wasn't just a "Heh hunny you know the media!"
It has probably messed with him on a personal level.

That's not really my concern though, I don't care that he was on the boat I don't care if he stuck something somewhere with so and so......I care about him wanting to play for my favorite team, I care that he can get better and get it done.

This is no bandaid boo boo, this is an EXPLODED knee, I mean gone, boom!!! It's going to take a lot of work for him to get back. I think the frustration comes from people wanting him back, wanting him to get better, but not getting the reasurance from the man himself.

Now sure it makes us sleep good at night to assume he is just off in his own little world working hard to get back, wearing a viking hat and cheering on our team. His comments however and lack of participation is telling a different story.

whackthepack
01-18-2006, 06:37 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

There are many questions Childress seams to have about Culpepper, a lot of uncertainty with his rehab and it is a waiting game.

Like I said we keep hearing the same 2 stories twisted and rephrased, I don't expect Childress will hold onto Culpepper if he doesn't warm up to the new route the team is going, even if he is similar to Mcnabb.

It's a waiting game. I think Daunte has earned the patience of the organization and deserves the time, I also think the organization and fans who back him deserve his enthusiasm, uncertainty, resolve, or whatever he feels.

My honest opinion is he is pissed because the media, the state came down on him hard for his boat trip. Guy is married, you know the conversation with his wife wasn't just a "Heh hunny you know the media!"

That's not really my concern though, I don't care that he was on the boat I don't care if he stuck something somewhere with so and so......I care about him wanting to play for my favorite team, I care that he can get better and get it done.

This is no bandaid boo boo, this is an EXPLODED knee, I mean gone, boom!!! It's going to take a lot of work for him to get back. I think the frustration comes from people wanting him back, wanting him to get better, but not getting the reasurance from the man himself.

Now sure it makes us sleep good at night to assume he is just off in his own little world working hard to get back, wearing a viking hat and cheering on our team. His comments however and lack of participation is telling a different story.

I agree Del that the boat situation has a lot to do with this, he is mad because he was charged. Well Daunte it is nobodies fault but your own, you are married, you have children, and you were feeling up strippers on the boat. The Vikings and the Vikings fans are not responsible for this situation, you are. My opinion is get the f*ck over it, get your head out of your jiggly butt and lets move on!

Also Del just wondering how you came to be a Viking fan?

snowinapril
01-18-2006, 06:53 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I can understand where you are coming from. I wish he would say something too, be more vocal. He needs a good PR guy.

The first thing I remember hearing was a slip at the top from the Vikings Org. The reporters were saying that DC had less chance of coming back as a Viking than Tice coming back as the Head Dog. Maybe that is what shut DC up, made him shut his trap and wait for the outcome. Then the owner lends DC his private jet to go for the REPAIR. Then a few weeks after the REPAIR, DC shows up at a game in a suite to support the Vikes. What else is the guy to do publicly kiss Wilf and Childress on the hiney.

Public relations????

As far as the boat thing, he is probably hesitant about saying anything to anyone. It sure does look like pouting, and I would probably handle it differently.

What is a Lawyer be advising him to say and do publicly?
What is his PR guy be telling him?

Del Rio
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

I agree Del that the boat situation has a lot to do with this, he is mad because he was charged. Well Daunte it is nobodies fault but your own, you are married, you have children, and you were feeling up strippers on the boat. The Vikings and the Vikings fans are not responsible for this situation, you are. My opinion is get the f*ck over it, get your head out of your jiggly butt and lets move on!

Also Del just wondering how you came to be a Viking fan?

I have always loved football. Growing up my Grandpa played LB for the Corn Huskers back in the leather helmet days. He was a football freak. He was a huge Steeler fan.

I was watching the Vikings vs. the 49ers one day I think it was the NFC championship game, 1987? I thought to myself I really really like their helmets.

It was all down hill from there. Later in life I got the opportunity to meet Jack Del Rio at a defensive football camp. It was a great experience and just made me even more in love with the Vikings.

I don't think I have ever really cared about anyother football team in my life, even the ones I played on. I mean if I lost a hard game and came home and saw the Vikes won it would cheer me right up.

There is no option, only Vikings and bad ass helmets.

iluvbigtds
01-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Sporting News Radio quoted an unnamed Vikings source as saying the team might be willing to peddle Daunte Culpepper to the highest bidder. The reason? Not his injury, but the question as to whether he can play effectively in a West Coast Offense.
-----------------

Sorry I can't add a link or something and I'm only getting this second-hand but a few people have confirmed this on the ESPN board.

DemonicViking
01-18-2006, 08:16 PM

Mr. Purple
01-18-2006, 08:21 PM
hmm...If we trade him, it better be good and we better not get any nappos on this team. I want a high draft pick or a stud player.

brbitker
01-18-2006, 08:24 PM
It's on Viking Update.

The Vikings' first attempt to land a general manager was scuttled by the Eagles stepping up and taking their first candidate off the board by naming Tom Heckert the new general mnager in Philadelphia. As the second round of wooing heats up in Minnesota, some Vikings critics claim the Vikings are doing the process backwards.

Since most coaches answer to the team's general manager, it seems to some a bit strange that Vikings coach Brad Childress will be part of the interview process. Childress sat in on the first G.M. interviews -- conduted Tuesday with former Dolphins G.M. Rick Spielman -- and is expected to sit it on other interviews.

At present, the team has made contact with former Atlanta G.M. Ron Hill, but that could be expanded to include Broncos Director of Pro Personnel Rick Smith.

Unlike the coaching search, the push for a general manager could extend out a couple of weeks instead of the lightning fast process that brought Childress to the team.

WEDNESDAY NOTES
* Sporting News Radio quoted an unnamed Vikings source as saying the team might be willing to peddle Daunte Culpepper to the highest bidder. The reason? Not his injury, but the question as to whether he can play effectively in a West Coast Offense.
* From the "Go to Mel" Department comes this: The king of the helmet hair Mel Kiper has released his initial mock draft for the 2006 draft. His first choice for the Vikings? USC running back Len-Dale White -- a choice VU heartily endorses.

singersp
01-18-2006, 08:28 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I can understand where you are coming from. I wish he would say something too, be more vocal. He needs a good PR guy.

The first thing I remember hearing was a slip at the top from the Vikings Org. The reporters were saying that DC had less chance of coming back as a Viking than Tice coming back as the Head Dog. Maybe that is what shut DC up, made him shut his trap and wait for the outcome. Then the owner lends DC his private jet to go for the REPAIR. Then a few weeks after the REPAIR, DC shows up at a game in a suite to support the Vikes. What else is the guy to do publicly kiss Wilf and Childress on the hiney.

Public relations????

As far as the boat thing, he is probably hesitant about saying anything to anyone. It sure does look like pouting, and I would probably handle it differently.

What is a Lawyer be advising him to say and do publicly?
What is his PR guy be telling him?

Why does he have to say anything?

Why should he?

Everytime he does, the media spins & twists it into their own little controversial articles to cause speculation, feed the rumor mill & cause doubt amongst Vikings fans.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-18-2006, 08:31 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Why does he have to say anything?

Why should he?

Everytime he does, the media spins & twists it into their own little controversial articles to cause speculation, feed the rumor mill & cause doubt amongst Vikings fans.

How could the media spin a statement made by DC saying he wants to stay a Viking? Yes, I agree that the media does put a spin on things but just to hear those words from DC would go a long way.

RK.
01-18-2006, 08:38 PM
From the Pioneer Press St Paul

Culpepper update: Although it was surprising that he couldn't carve out some time for a face-to-face visit with Childress, quarterback Daunte Culpepper was in town last week to get his knee checked by team doctors, not to meet with the Vikings' new coach.
Culpepper did speak to Childress by phone for 45 minutes on Friday. Culpepper has not been available for comment since the season ended.

What is his problem? On the other hand Brad Johnson has made it clear he would love to be a starting QB. It sounds to me like CP is becoming a head case. He wasn't pulling it together before his injury and it seems his attitude is just getting worse. Doesn't sound much like a team leader to me. :roll:

PurplePackerEater
01-18-2006, 08:41 PM
I personally don't think that we'd get much for Culpepper. Think about it. He's had two good seasons (surrounded by horrible seasons) in half of his professional career, and now he's damaged goods (injured).

Heck, even FedEx dropped him. And he has court dates for his boat trip.

Good luck with that trade. :roll:

DCPologirl
01-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Where is midegensa when you need him?

NodakPaul
01-18-2006, 09:05 PM
If we were to trade Culpepper, I am sure we would get quite a bit of compensation. Despite all the Dante haters here, he is an incredible QB who has only begun to show his potential. But the idea is moot anyway because DC is staying...

DCPologirl
01-18-2006, 09:14 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

If we were to trade Culpepper, I am sure we would get quite a bit of compensation. Despite all the Dante haters here, he is an incredible QB who has only begun to show his potential. But the idea is moot anyway because DC is staying...

I pray that you are right! :adore:

snowinapril
01-18-2006, 09:35 PM
I bought my wife a Moss 84 jersey for xmas 04 and I bought here a DC11 jersey for xmas 05, I would hate for this crap to come true, I would have to blame my wife for it. There is no other explaination for it.

These threads are going to make me pull out the hair on my head.

"doesn't fit the west coast" is code for "we are afraid that if DC stays we won't get the stadium built"

OK, this is turning into my own little conspiracy theory.

LOL

sunny
01-18-2006, 10:08 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I bought my wife a Moss 84 jersey for xmas 04 and I bought here a DC11 jersey for xmas 05, I would hate for this crap to come true, I would have to blame my wife for it. There is no other explaination for it.

"doesn't fit the west coast" is code for "we are afraid that if DC stays we won't get the stadium built"

LOL

Could you buy her a Fred Smoot jersey this year?

midgensa
01-18-2006, 10:32 PM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

I personally don't think that we'd get much for Culpepper. Think about it. He's had two good seasons (surrounded by horrible seasons) in half of his professional career, and now he's damaged goods (injured).

He has been to THREE Pro Bowls, thus two good seasons is incorrect. His stats also show that he has had THREE EXCEPTIONAL seasons, not just good. In 2000, 2003 and 2004 he put up amazing numbers averaging 32 TDs and 12.5 INTS with 4,000 yards ... so saying he has only had two good seasons is incorrect ... by the way ... 2001 was not horrible season either ... it was merely average and ended by injury with five games left.
He was bad in 02 (the only complete season where he threw more picks than TDs) but still ran for 600 yards and 10 TDs that season while his passing was not where it should be ... and of course he was pretty bad this season.
So that is six seasons at a starter ... THREE GREAT years ... one average ... one bad ... and one Very bad that ended VERY early ... so saying horrible is seriously going a little overboard.
All that said ... I don't think we could get an exceptional offer for him ... and he could have serious questions with his knee ... chances are he is the Vikes starter next season barring a very juicy offer from somewhere.

cajunvike
01-18-2006, 10:33 PM

hmm...If we trade him, it better be good and we better not get any nappos on this team. I want a high draft pick or a stud player.

PP.O Dictionary:

Nappo - an overvalued player acquired at great cost to the team with little return.

cajunvike
01-18-2006, 10:40 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

He has been to THREE Pro Bowls, thus two good seasons is incorrect. His stats also show that he has had THREE EXCEPTIONAL seasons, not just good. In 2000, 2003 and 2004 he put up amazing numbers averaging 32 TDs and 12.5 INTS with 4,000 yards ... so saying he has only had two good seasons is incorrect ... by the way ... 2001 was not horrible season either ... it was merely average and ended by injury with five games left.
He was bad in 02 (the only complete season where he threw more picks than TDs) but still ran for 600 yards and 10 TDs that season while his passing was not where it should be ... and of course he was pretty bad this season.
So that is six seasons at a starter ... THREE GREAT years ... one average ... one bad ... and one Very bad that ended VERY early ... so saying horrible is seriously going a little overboard.
All that said ... I don't think we could get an exceptional offer for him ... and he could have serious questions with his knee ... chances are he is the Vikes starter next season barring a very juicy offer from somewhere.

Great assessment, midgensa...no wonder Polo is so crazy about you! :grin:

Ltrey33
01-18-2006, 10:42 PM
:banghead:

snowinapril
01-18-2006, 10:44 PM
"sunny" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

LOL

Could you buy her a Fred Smoot jersey this year?

Actually, my brother got us all the sewn on authentic jerseys with the family name on the back. My wife's jersey was Chavous' number. I am afraid that Smoot is staying and Chavous is gone! Sorry guys, his fate is sealed.

PurplePackerEater
01-18-2006, 10:48 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

I noticed that you failed to mention his 77 fumbles within 5 1/2 seasons. Why? Is it damaging to your arguement? :oops:

Del Rio
01-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Your not going to get much for anyone anymore, that's just the way it is.

If you do trade Culpepper it is because of some breakdown in compatibility with the team.

Basically your getting rid of him alone will help your team move on. You can't trust a fans assesment of what is a fair trade for a player they have a man crush on. That's why we aren't running the show and that is how you get those WTF moments when you see someone really "good" has been traded.

Because you think they are god, when in fact all they are is a 4th round draft pick, and a couple of roleplayers that may or may not pan out, but that will produce for less then 39398339843289432194832 million dollars.

Mr. Purple
01-18-2006, 11:04 PM
It'd be stupid for us to trade him and rely on Brad Johnson. If we trade him, some sort of Young QB has to be brought in. It could change our whole draft.

PurplePackerEater
01-18-2006, 11:11 PM

It'd be stupid for us to trade him and rely on Brad Johnson. If we trade him, some sort of Young QB has to be brought in. It could change our whole draft.

That is, ultimately, the point I'm trying to make. We're NOT going to get an exeptional trade, so why do it?

Del Rio
01-18-2006, 11:16 PM
It's pretty obvious:

"The reason? Not his injury, but the question as to whether he can play effectively in a West Coast Offense."

Because if they think he wont do well with the team wtf keep him? It's like having a nice snowmobile but you live where there is no snow.

~I'm not saying he wont be effective I think he will be EXTREEMLY effective under a WCO, but that was the justification of the article. Which is plenty good.

If he wont work with the way the team is heading it would be dumber to hold onto him and be innefective then it would to trade him for something you CAN use.

iluvbigtds
01-18-2006, 11:23 PM

That is, ultimately, the point I'm trying to make. We're NOT going to get an exeptional trade, so why do it?

I think we'd go other routes in order to get a QB rather than drafting one. There's a lot of quality QBs in the league that can be had. Schaub, Volek and more, and it'd be a lot less expensive.

I Think we'd get more than what we got for Moss. I think its reasonable for us to get something like the 10th pick and Adrian Wilson from ARZ. That would put us in great position to draft DeMeco Ryans or Chad Greenway and Wilson is one of the best SS in the league. Pick up LenDale White with #17.

GreenBaySlackers
01-18-2006, 11:30 PM
"iluvbigtds" wrote:

I think we'd go other routes in order to get a QB rather than drafting one. There's a lot of quality QBs in the league that can be had. Schaub, Volek and more, and it'd be a lot less expensive.

I Think we'd get more than what we got for Moss. I think its reasonable for us to get something like the 10th pick and Adrian Wilson from ARZ. That would put us in great position to draft DeMeco Ryans or Chad Greenway and Wilson is one of the best SS in the league. Pick up LenDale White with #17.

if that happened i might actually be for it, adrian Wilson, #10 and #17 would be pretty sick

SharperVikings
01-18-2006, 11:49 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

:banghead:
:cussing:

NodakPaul
01-19-2006, 12:18 AM
"iluvbigtds" wrote:

I could live with this scenario if it happened... but if I had a say in the matter I would definitely not trade Dante. However, this is the first argument for trading him that I didn't think was completely asinine.

COJOMAY
01-19-2006, 12:27 AM
It will be interesting a year from now if we keep him and Brad goes half the season and plays pretty well and then DC is ready to play and he goes in a loses the rest of the games. Then what will his value be worth? And what will all the DC lovers be saying?

V4L
01-19-2006, 12:32 AM
:beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse:

collegeguyjeff
01-19-2006, 12:36 AM

"midgensa" wrote:

I noticed that you failed to mention his 77 fumbles within 5 1/2 seasons. Why? Is it damaging to your arguement? :oops:

did he really have 77 fumbles? that sounds like a ton; anyways if that is true he had that much fumbles i'd get rid of him asap.

NodakPaul
01-19-2006, 12:37 AM
If we keep him and he sucks next year, I would have no problem admitting that I was wrong (I am married after all, so I get pleanty of practice).

But if we keep him and he has another pro bowl year, how many Dante haters would set up and do the same?

Prophet
01-19-2006, 12:38 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

If we keep him and he sucks next year, I would have no problem admitting that I was wrong (I am married after all, so I get pleanty of practice).

But if we keep him and he has another pro bowl year, how many Dante haters would set up and do the same?

Probably ~20%.

FedjeViking
01-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Sounds like no one, including Culpepper, is sure of where he will be with his knee injury when the season starts. There is no problem with learning the playbook, only the practice of doing it on the field.
I guess everyone, including us, has to wait and see how he heals.

singersp
01-19-2006, 03:19 AM
Culpepper update:

Although it was surprising that he couldn't carve out some time for a face-to-face visit with Childress, quarterback Daunte Culpepper was in town last week to get his knee checked by team doctors, not to meet with the Vikings' new coach.

Culpepper did speak to Childress by phone for 45 minutes on Friday. Culpepper has not been available for comment since the season ended.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/13649263.htm

This is what I stated before.

As usual, the media took it & ran with it to make it a controversial issue making it appear that DC stood up Childress on a planned face to face meeting.

mnjamie
01-19-2006, 05:51 AM
Vikings | Agent wants to start Culpepper negotiations
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:19:57 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports agent Mason Ashe said he is prepared to begin "scheduled" contract negotiations with the Minnesota Vikings to make QB Daunte Culpepper (knee) one of the NFL's highest-paid players. Ashe said he, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and Rob Brzezinski, the team's vice president of football operations, outlined their intentions in August, when Culpepper received an additional $7.5 million in guaranteed money from the team. "I am poised and ready to begin the scheduled restructuring of his long-term contract with the Vikings, as we discussed last summer with Mr. Wilf, so Daunte can assume the position on the NFL pay scale that he so deserves," Ashe said Wednesday, Jan. 18. Ashe said his client's focus is on returning to health after tearing three of four ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30 in Charlotte, N.C., in a game against the Carolina Panthers. Although Culpepper is ahead of schedule, Ashe declined to put a timetable on his client's return.

http://kffl.com/hotw/nfl

ultravikingfan
01-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Uh oh, that could get ugly. :???:

snowinapril
01-19-2006, 06:43 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Culpepper update:

Although it was surprising that he couldn't carve out some time for a face-to-face visit with Childress, quarterback Daunte Culpepper was in town last week to get his knee checked by team doctors, not to meet with the Vikings' new coach.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/13649263.htm

This is what I stated before.

As usual, the media took it & ran with it to make it a controversial issue making it appear that DC stood up Childress on a planned face to face meeting.

Singer, you are right. DC won't return their calls for interviews, because DC is pissed at them for how he was treated during the scandal. In return the media is trying to carve him out as the guy who wants more money, the guy that doesn't want to be with the Vikes. I wouldn't read into it until the info comes from the horses mouth.

45 minutes on the phone, is not a hey you are finished here in MN phone call. It is probably more like this is what we want to get accomplished.

As far as the negotiations, and DC wanting to be paid elite money, Wilf and Rob will have to keep from cracking up after the stats this season. I am not coming down on DC, but I hope he will think twice about being to greedy. Maybe he should have some incentives in his contract if he wants to earn money. If it is just a status thing, then he is out of luck, "I have to be the highest paid QB or I will take my ball and go home." $7.5 Mil in guaranteed money is not chump change, sounds elite to me.

PurplePackerEater
01-19-2006, 08:18 PM
What Is Pepp's Status?

Viking Update Staff - Scout.com
January 19, 2006 at 9:01am ET

The scheduled face-to-face meeting between Daunte Culpepper and coach Brad Childress never materialized last week and speculation is growing as to Culpepper's status with the team.

Daunte Culpepper has done his best Claude Rains imitation over the past few months since being injured Oct. 30 -- he's truly been an invisible man.

While acknowledged as the team leader and franchise player, Culpepper has been conspicuously absent from games since his injury and almost impossible to locate by team officials and the media since his injury.

Whether it be hard work at rehabbing the injury or merely sulking, when Culpepper didn't find time to meet face to face with his new head coach, it set off alarms with some in the media that it could be the beginning of the end of his time in Minnesota.

Despite having his deal re-worked last year to give him a $6 million bonus due March 14, Culpepper and his agent are looking to have his deal changed even further. Under his current contract, Culpepper has $15 million in guaranteed money -- a figure dwarfed by rookie Alex Smith ($24 million) and less than half of the guaranteed cash for Peyton Manning ($35 million) or Michael Vick ($37 million).

Does Culpepper deserve to get his deal redone? Considering the hard stance the team took toward Matt Birk , who in essence served as an assistant coach after going down with injury last year, the answer should be no. Whether it is or not will play out in the next few weeks.

THURSDAY NOTES
* Pete Bercich was interviewed Wednesday and informed by Brad Childress that he won't be back with the team as its linebackers coach.
* The only coach from last year with a chance of surviving the purge of coaches is DB coach Chuck Knox, but he's been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.
* Culpepper's agent is looking to re-open contract talks above the $7.5 million moved to guaranteed bonus money last year. Culpepper will have a $9.4 million salary cap number in 2006.* If the Vikings were to trade Culpepper this spring, they would save $2.4 million vs. the cap because of the bonuses shifted around to this year.
* Childress fired athletic trainer Chuck Barta Wednesday. Barta and Fred Zamberletti have been the only trainers in team history. He is expected to be replaced by Eagles assistant trainer Eric Sugarman.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WTF is up with Culpepper? Can somebody have him tested for drugs?

snowinapril
01-19-2006, 09:01 PM

What Is Pepp's Status?

Viking Update Staff - Scout.com
January 19, 2006 at 9:01am ET

The scheduled face-to-face meeting between Daunte Culpepper and coach Brad Childress never materialized last week and speculation is growing as to Culpepper's status with the team.

Daunte Culpepper has done his best Claude Rains imitation over the past few months since being injured Oct. 30 -- he's truly been an invisible man.

While acknowledged as the team leader and franchise player, Culpepper has been conspicuously absent from games since his injury and almost impossible to locate by team officials and the media since his injury.

Whether it be hard work at rehabbing the injury or merely sulking, when Culpepper didn't find time to meet face to face with his new head coach, it set off alarms with some in the media that it could be the beginning of the end of his time in Minnesota.

Despite having his deal re-worked last year to give him a $6 million bonus due March 14, Culpepper and his agent are looking to have his deal changed even further. Under his current contract, Culpepper has $15 million in guaranteed money -- a figure dwarfed by rookie Alex Smith ($24 million) and less than half of the guaranteed cash for Peyton Manning ($35 million) or Michael Vick ($37 million).

Does Culpepper deserve to get his deal redone? Considering the hard stance the team took toward Matt Birk , who in essence served as an assistant coach after going down with injury last year, the answer should be no. Whether it is or not will play out in the next few weeks.

THURSDAY NOTES
* Pete Bercich was interviewed Wednesday and informed by Brad Childress that he won't be back with the team as its linebackers coach.
* The only coach from last year with a chance of surviving the purge of coaches is DB coach Chuck Knox, but he's been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.
* Culpepper's agent is looking to re-open contract talks above the $7.5 million moved to guaranteed bonus money last year. Culpepper will have a $9.4 million salary cap number in 2006.* If the Vikings were to trade Culpepper this spring, they would save $2.4 million vs. the cap because of the bonuses shifted around to this year.
* Childress fired athletic trainer Chuck Barta Wednesday. Barta and Fred Zamberletti have been the only trainers in team history. He is expected to be replaced by Eagles assistant trainer Eric Sugarman.

Poor Barta, that was COLD, also Bercich gone, Knox to look elsewhere.

The other bolds are what they are, speculation.

It has been reiterated many times, but even though I would like DC to step forward and speak and be the leader, why should he have to speak to the media that he feels has treated him unkind over the last 3 months. I would prefer the Machiavelli approach from DC but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

finnishvikingsfan
01-19-2006, 09:06 PM
I dont blame Childress of getting rid of people. I would want my own people on my coaching staff.
And now with Culpepper I think he has been give some wrong advice somewhere. I think it all started Late last preseason with all this demanding of more money after signing a new contract. I think his agent is trying to be the new Drew Roshenthal or however you spell his name.

Del Rio
01-19-2006, 09:07 PM
I think his wife wants him to move away from the team and Mckinnie because they are bad influences.

snowinapril
01-19-2006, 09:11 PM
"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:

I dont blame Childress of getting rid of people. I would want my own people on my coaching staff.
And now with Culpepper I think he has been give some wrong advice somewhere. I think it all started Late last preseason with all this demanding of more money after signing a new contract.

Ya, i don't blame him either, but poor Barta, the guy must be close to retirement, atleast let him stay on at something, move him somewhere, incharge of ordering the Tape......... something.

I can see letting Pete and Knox go.

"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:

I think his agent is trying to be the new Drew Roshenthal or however you spell his name.

J.e.r.k.w.a.d.

DCPologirl
01-19-2006, 09:29 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"midgensa" wrote:

That's exactly why! :adore:

cajunvike
01-19-2006, 09:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2295236

I've got it...we give Pep the exact same contract as Peyton Manning...then trade him to the Colts for Manning...straight up...let those Colts fans that want to trade Peyton away (see above article) see what it is like to have a QB who doesn't have NEAR the grasp of the game that Peyton does. A few years later, after Peyton has led us to 4 straight Super Bowl wins, we can send a Thank You card to all of those idiots!!! :lol:

cajunvike
01-19-2006, 09:31 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"midgensa" wrote:

That's exactly why! :adore:

It's LOVE....exciting and new....come aboard...we're expecting you....THE LOVE BOAT...soon will be making another run...THE LOVE BOAT...promises something for everyone...

:lol:

DCPologirl
01-19-2006, 09:57 PM
:crybaby:

Ltrey33
01-19-2006, 10:16 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2295236

I've got it...we give Pep the exact same contract as Peyton Manning...then trade him to the Colts for Manning...straight up...let those Colts fans that want to trade Peyton away (see above article) see what it is like to have a QB who doesn't have NEAR the grasp of the game that Peyton does. A few years later, after Peyton has led us to 4 straight Super Bowl wins, we can send a Thank You card to all of those idiots!!! :lol:

Straight up? I'd give them 3 or 4 draft picks too! I'd give my left nut (ok, so probably not) for Manning.

singersp
01-20-2006, 01:39 AM
This is what I find troubling from two different articles;

Culpepper update:

What Is Pepp's Status?

One states he was there to speak with doctors & not to meet with Childress, the other states their was a scheduled face to face meeting.

Which brand do you prefer?

Spin & twist, just spin & twist

litlharsh
01-20-2006, 04:13 AM
Culpepper, please don't turn into a jackass.

Muggsy
01-20-2006, 08:03 PM
I jus' seen dis. I didn't see it posted anywheres else in here, so sorry, if it was....
==================================================
Vikings: Tensions rise over Culpepper contract

The Vikings, their QB and his agent -- for now -- are at odds over promises that might or might not have been broken.

Vikings Insider Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Earlier this month, the phone rang on the second floor of Winter Park. Mason Ashe -- who might no longer be Daunte Culpepper's agent when you read this -- was looking for Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings vice president of football operations.

The conversation, according to those familiar with the situation, was brief. Ashe broached the unseemly topic of negotiating a raise in Culpepper's contract, even after his terrible seven-game performance this season and the horrific injury to his right knee. Brzezinski's response was borderline incredulous: You can't be serious.

Culpepper, ahem, was undaunted. Last week, according to those sources, Culpepper circulated a letter to key members of the organization, including owner Zygi Wilf. Acting independently of Ashe, Culpepper requested a face-to-face meeting with them all, hoping a direct appeal would jumpstart discussions. When Culpepper arrived at the scheduled meeting last Thursday, only Brzezinski was present. Again, the answer was no.

The series of events has manufactured a crossroads for the Vikings and their franchise player. Is Culpepper engineering his departure from Minnesota? Have the Vikings reneged on a promise to upgrade his contract? Or has Culpepper simply received bad advice, and then compounded it by trying to address the situation himself?

All sides were quiet Thursday after published reports indicated a rise of tensions on both sides. During an interview Wednesday, Wilf made a point to praise backup Brad Johnson and emphasized the Vikings' depth at the position. Meanwhile, Ashe told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that he expects the Vikings to honor the commitment he claims they made to further restructure the contract.

Wilf and other Vikings officials declined comment Thursday, while Ashe and Culpepper did not return calls. People with knowledge of the situation, however, said Culpepper was livid with Ashe's comments and said he might fire him. Those people also said Culpepper has given no direct indication that he wants to leave the Vikings, but that he remains irked that the team turned down his invitations to the bargaining table.

As of Thursday, the Vikings were not wavering on their plan to pay Culpepper $6 million in bonuses March 14, the last of an $8 million upgrade Wilf granted him last summer. The date of the bonus payout is important; if the Vikings decide to release him prior to it, they could still keep him off the free-agent market for nearly two weeks -- the period when most teams expend the majority of their cap space.

The date of the payout, Culpepper's knee condition, his on-field regression and his alleged involvement in an Oct. 6 sex party have all but eliminated Culpepper's leverage with the team. For that reason, said an agent who spoke on the condition of anonymity, Culpepper's actions seem like a textbook attempt to force a divorce. How else to explain why Culpepper wants a raise of his $2 million base salary for 2006, one that is low for a Pro Bowl quarterback but not for one that threw twice as many interceptions (12) as touchdowns (6) in 2005 before tearing three knee ligaments?

While agreeing to the $8 million bump last summer, Wilf said he would revisit the contract at the end of the season.

"We will consider it on a year-to-year basis," Wilf said in August of Culpepper's original 10-year, $102 million deal. Relative to the business of the NFL, where players' salaries are based almost exclusively on their performance the previous season, no one can blame Wilf for deciding against another raise.

Wilf's ownership group already has treated Culpepper with more respect than some believe he has earned. They have given him liberal use of their private planes, sought him out for personal meetings near his home in Orlando, and even arranged for limited partner Reggie Fowler to be in the recovery room of an Alabama hospital when Culpepper underwent surgery Nov. 15.

In return, Culpepper has turned down the Vikings' request to rehabilitate in Minnesota and then refused to meet face-to-face with new coach Brad Childress.

How will it all turn out? Culpepper has little trade value, and his only leverage is to hold out of minicamps and possibly training camp -- even after receiving the $6 million bonus.

It seems the Vikings have two choices. They could cut their losses and jettison him for next to nothing. Or they could cross their fingers and hope Childress, Wilf and other team officials can talk Culpepper off his ledge. In betting terms, it's a bad field either way.
================================================
'Course, some of dis is just da media playin' it for all it's woith, just ta sell newpapers, y'know? I can't believe Daunte would really do dis kinda ting.

olson_10
01-20-2006, 08:10 PM
little trade value? i say if we dont get 2 pro bowlers and a top pick in return, then dont trade him..dont make the same mistake that we did with moss..daunte's rediculous behavior has been worse than randy moss's, lets all admit guys, last year we traded the wrong guy

whackthepack
01-20-2006, 09:34 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

little trade value? i say if we dont get 2 pro bowlers and a top pick in return, then dont trade him..dont make the same mistake that we did with moss..daunte's rediculous behavior has been worse than randy moss's, lets all admit guys, last year we traded the wrong guy

I know Randy did so much for Oakland, let's see? He whined about not getting the ball, was loafing on plays because he was whining, got another head-coach fired, lead Oakland to a worse record than they had the year before. The Vikes had a better record than they did the year before with Randy and had major distractions and injuries, so you Randy appologists just get over the fact that he is gone and by the way Oakland doesn't want him any more either!