PDA

View Full Version : Childress dumps Cottrell, several other coaches

singersp
01-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Posted on Mon, Jan. 09, 2006

New Vikings coach dumps Cottrell, several other coaches

BY SEAN JENSEN
St. Paul Pioneer Press

New Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress has notified several assistants, including defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, that they won't be retained.

Cottrell said Childress called him Sunday evening to inform him of his decision.

"He said he's going in a different direction," Cottrell said. "I just have to move on."

Special-teams coach Rusty Tillman and strength and conditioning assistant Mark Ellis said they both got the same news. And, according to Ellis, so did assistant secondary coach Kevin Ross, assistant defensive line coach Jim Panagos and receivers coach Wes Chandler.

Tight ends coach John Tice said he was unsure of his status.

Meanwhile, coverage coordinator Chuck Knox Jr., offensive assistant/assistant quarterbacks coach Randy Hanson, defensive line coach Brian Baker, strength and conditioning coach Kurtis Shultz, and offensive quality coach Todd Downing are believed to be getting opportunities to interview with Childress for openings to remain with the Vikings.

The status of Rich Olson (quarterbacks), Dean Dalton (running backs) and Pete Bercich (linebackers) is unclear.

Childress and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski couldn't be reached for comment.

Meanwhile, Tampa Bay Buccaneers secondary coach Mike Tomlin appears to be a leading candidate for Cottrell's position. Tomlin, who finished his fifth season as the Bucs' defensive backs coach, played at William & Mary with Vikings Pro Bowl free safety Darren Sharper.

Tomlin has consistently led one of the league's top secondaries, including in 2002, when his top-ranked unit had four of Tampa Bay's five interceptions, and returned two for touchdowns, in Super Bowl XXXVII.

singersp
01-09-2006, 01:07 PM
From KFFL;

Vikings | J. Tice fired by team
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 23:07:44 -0800

Updating previous reports, the Star Tribune reports the Minnesota Vikings have fired assistant offensive line/tight ends coach John Tice.
-------------------------------------
Vikings | Dalton fired by team
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 23:05:32 -0800

Updating previous reports, the Star Tribune reports the Minnesota Vikings have fired running backs coach Dean Dalton.
--------------------------------------------------
Vikings | Downing allowed to interview with Childress
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:52:44 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings offensive quality coach Todd Downing is believed to be getting an opportunity to interview with new head coach Brad Childress for an opening to remain with the Vikings.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vikings | Shultz allowed to interview with Childress
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:51:44 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings strength and conditioning coach Kurtis Shultz is believed to be getting an opportunity to interview with new head coach Brad Childress for an opening to remain with the Vikings.
--------------------------------------------------------
Vikings | Baker allowed to interview with Childress
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:50:46 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings defensive line coach Brian Baker is believed to be getting an opportunity to interview with new head coach Brad Childress for an opening to remain with the Vikings.
----------------------------------------------
Vikings | Hanson allowed to interview with Childress
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:49:51 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings offensive assistant/assistant quarterbacks coach Randy Hanson is believed to be getting an opportunity to interview with new head coach Brad Childress for an opening to remain with the Vikings.
------------------------------------------------
Vikings | Knox Jr. allowed to interview with Childress
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:47:43 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings coverage coordinator Chuck Knox Jr. is believed to be getting an opportunity to interview with new head coach Brad Childress for an opening to remain with the Vikings.

Mr. Purple
01-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Thank god that idoit is outta here.Bring on Tomlin!!

singersp
01-09-2006, 02:18 PM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

Thank god that idoit is outta here.Bring on Tomlin!!

Which idiot? I see several idiots listed! :grin:

Lotza
01-09-2006, 02:21 PM
so mr childress is cleaning out the staff.

PurplePeopleEaters
01-09-2006, 02:32 PM
I agree with all of this except the firing of Rusty Tillman. Rusty has done the best out of anyone on our staff. Our ST was really good this year.

singersp
01-09-2006, 02:38 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

I agree with all of this except the firing of Rusty Tillman. Rusty has done the best out of anyone on our staff. Our ST was really good this year.

When refering to the assistant coaches, saying "Rusty has done the best out of anyone on our staff" isn't really saying much. :lol:

Mr. Purple
01-09-2006, 02:39 PM
lol singer, its like racing honda civics, even if you win, your still retarded.

singersp
01-09-2006, 02:43 PM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

lol singer, its like racing honda civics, even if you win, your still Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd.

It's like saying he was the best turd in the toilet bowl.

He still stunk! :lol:

SamDawg84
01-09-2006, 02:49 PM
wtf!? why did he get rid of tillman?! he was our best coach basicly! and now i dont really care about cotrell really anymore. i just wanted the guy to do good in our d fence. and im kinda ticked off about kevin ross getting fired. he was the 1 working with b will and them people savin our butts

V4L
01-09-2006, 03:30 PM
HOLY SAM!! A lengthy post! Nice work..

I am glad Childress wants to clean house and get a fresh start..

I don't agree with Rusty Tillman being fired.. He probably just wants to bring in a friend.. Rusty did a good job..

I didn't think we would clean house like this! But I have to say im glad Tice Both of them actually, Cottrell, And Loney are gone

NordicNed
01-09-2006, 03:48 PM
WOW,

And to think I gave my 87 GMC an overhaul this winter.....

This is a major overhaul, but it's sure a positive to see a coach with a plan of his own, and putting it in action by Out with the Old and in with the new..

I just wonder what kind of an impact on our FA and Draft this will have...

Should be one hell of an off season for us.......

Man I can wait to see some of the players names we lose and gain...

renovikesfan
01-09-2006, 04:39 PM
I can't understand why people are so upset about Tillman leaving. Since he's been here, all the way up until this year (only AFTER we got Koren Robinson), our Special Teams has blown monkey chunks.

Give credit where it's due...to K-Rob...'cause our ST unit was a League JOKE until he started returning kicks for us.

Del Rio
01-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Our return team was good when we had Palmer back there too.

Special teams is not a fun job to coach, and I would be surprised if you saw any change by anyone they are going to bring in here.

It's just the nature of the beast.

whackthepack
01-09-2006, 04:48 PM
I think the difference in or special teams coverages this year over the last few years was that we started using more of our starters on the coverage teams. Previously the Vikes coaches were hesitant to use the starters for fear of being hurt, but with how bad are coverage teams were for years they started using more of them and are special teams improved.

I do not think that Tillman was a great special teams coach, he has been with the Vikes for quite some time and until this year are special teams have sucked! I am not upset with his departure, and I hope that next year we have even better special teams play.

Prophet
01-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Clean slate = optimism. I feel like I usually do around July regarding the buildup into the regular season. I just hope I don't blow up with excitement like the dude in Monty Python having the after dinner mint.

CynicalVike
01-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I was fond of Rusty Tillman also, but after having had Gary Zauner as ST coach, anyone would have been an improvement.

Seriously though, this is a major overhaul of the entire staff.

ItalianStallion
01-09-2006, 07:41 PM
I thought Tillman was alright. Our special teams was decent this year, and won us several games. In the past it has sucked so much mostly because the kickers Tice brought in all blew.

I heard that Smoot and Winfield really wanted Chuck Knox to come back.

cajunvike
01-09-2006, 07:43 PM
"singersp" wrote:

From KFFL;

Vikings | J. Tice fired by team
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 23:07:44 -0800

Updating previous reports, the Star Tribune reports the Minnesota Vikings have fired assistant offensive line/tight ends coach John Tice.

BIG shocker!!! :lol:

Vikes
01-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Thank GOD!!!!! It's about time a fresh start of life. So long Teddy don't let the boat hit you in the bottom!

cajunvike
01-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Hasta la vista, Teddy!!!

Mr. Purple
01-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Special teams is about finding that right player, with the X-factor for returns....aka K-Rob. I'm glad Childress is cleanin house, becuase it was Tice's team around here....now its Childress'.

DCPologirl
01-09-2006, 07:55 PM
:salute:

CanuckVike
01-09-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm glad we're cleaning house as far as the assistants are concerned. I think Cotrell did a poor job with the talent he had...it wasn't 'til Tice took over a bit that the D started to come around.

And although Rusty was thought to be one of the better assistants by a lot of us (I don't agree), we always seemed to get nailed by a fake punt, or fg or surprise onside kick many times in the past few years...isn't that part of the special teams play?

I know we had that big STeams game vs the Giants, but I think that was more to do with special abilities via Koren Robinson and Melwelde Moore and an overated Giants team. Good riddance to all of them I say.

ultravikingfan
01-09-2006, 10:20 PM
I am so glad that is official. Cotrell was just horrid!

I really agree that a coach should be able to bring in whomever he wants to. Unless the coach/coordinator is very good like Kiffin.

Displaced_Viking
01-09-2006, 10:41 PM
I can't believe Childress sacked Ted Cottrell! I'm glad that Childress is shaking things up, but part of me is pissed that he got rid of TC after only his second season with the Vikings.
I read the other comments concerning the Tampa 2, so perhaps this was the right move, but I'm not sure we've got as strong or consistent secondary as we might need to pull it off. I just hope that Childress doesn't mind being fired, if he doesn't produce in two seasons, since that's exactly what he did to Cottrell. But, if TC doesn't fit into the scheme that Childress wants, and he still produces in the next couple of seasons, more power to him.

renovikesfan
01-10-2006, 11:49 AM
I guess I'm just more a fan of the Minnesota Vikings as a whole, rather than being a fan of individual players and coaches.

I LIKE Culpepper, Bennett, Tice, Moss, et al...but I LOVE the Vikings, and if these players/coaches can't get the job done, ie. contend for the Playoffs and beyond, through several years of attempts, then it stands to reason (to me, at least) that we need to bring in new blood. This is why I'm utterly ecstatic with the new ownership, compared to the old. Wilf really seems like he has a vision and a plan, and I'm good with that.

It's unfortunate that Cottrell wasn't given at least a couple more years to fully integrate his players/schemes.....but as was said earlier, it's the ugly nature of this business. Childress obviously believed Cottrell was NOT the guy to go with, and since he's at the helm of our longship now, he calls the shots.

I'm not deluding myself into thinking that we're going to be instant contenders this next year.....too many new faces trying to adapt to new surroundings, talent, etc. IMO, though, he should at least get the benefit of the doubt for his first couple years or so. By the time '07 rolls around we should have a solid view of what Childress is about, and he'll have a clearer blueprint of what needs to be done with what he has available to him.

JMO

collegeguyjeff
01-11-2006, 08:55 AM
if tice gets the jets job atleast he gets all his old guys back

singersp
01-16-2006, 01:45 PM
From KFFL;

Vikings | Baker will not be retained
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:00:31 -0800

Updating previous reports, the Star Tribune reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress has told defensive line coach Brian Baker that he won't be a member of the coaching staff.

NordicNed
01-16-2006, 02:14 PM
I just can't stop thinking about the statement Wilf made in the past..

" There will be some changes but nothing major"

Just seems to me, doesn't get any more major than whats going on now..

Not complaining, I like the tree being shook........And I think it's going to be for the best of the team in the long run..

Ziggy should at least take time to explain to us why sometimes his word and the actions to follow don't match up..

But as I said earlier,,,,,,,I like whats going on as far as the Major Changes......