PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin will become Viking's defensive coordinator

singersp
01-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Vikings | Tomlin will become team's defensive coordinator
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 09:04:00 -0800

620WDAE.com reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin will become the Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator. Tomlin told the St. Petersburg Times that he is leaving Tampa Bay.

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 07:28 PM
This was reported on Friday on Total Access there was a strong possibility this would happen ..... Sooooooooooo NICE !!!!!!!

Tampa 2 here we come with an attacking defense .... it's finally here people, get EXCITED !!!!!

http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=290264#290264

singersp
01-08-2006, 07:30 PM
DB coach Mike Tomlin heading to Vikes

Mike Tomlin appears to be the choice of new Vikings head coach Brad Childress to run the Minnesota defense. The Bucs defensive backs coach acknowledged a report that he would be leaving Tampa Bay, telling the St. Pete Times that the rumors are "legit" that he is going to Minnesota.

The coaching staff won't be the only thing with a new look next season. In a pair of dramatic interviews conducted by T.J. Rives in the postgame, Derrick Brooks suggested that some regulars will be gone next season and Mike Alstott seemed to hint that he may be retiring. "You know, the fans are the best. What the fans have done for me in my career, I can't even describe. I'd like to thank everybody out there for their support and what they've done for me," Alstott said with his voice a little shaky.

Before that Brooks said, "This is the last time this group, everybody in this room, will be here together. There's gonna be some new faces next year, and I just hope from here on out we can build on the things we did this year and really make a run at this thing again next year."

During halftime of the television broadcast, Brooks, Ronde Barber and Josh Bidwell were all named starters for the Pro Bowl.

Cadillac Williams was the runaway winner of the AP's Offensive Rookie of the Year honors, getting 47 of a possible 50 votes Wednesday from national writers. On Thursday Williams was honored as the NFL Rookie of the Month.

Despite missing part or all of several games with a foot injury Williams compiled 1,178 yards and six touchdowns and was the big reason for the offensive turnaround of the Bucs. Three other players got one vote each including Williams' college running mate Ronnie Brown of the Dolphins, along with Steelers tight end Heath Miller and Patriots offensive lineman Logan Mankins.

On Wednesday Simeon Rice was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in a division-clinching 27-13 win over the Saints.

Source link:

http://www.620wdae.com/localsportsstory.html?ID=20060108114455

Mr. Purple
01-08-2006, 07:32 PM
OMG!!!! THIS IS AWESOME!! wow I'm so pumped....The Bucs always have a steller defense...year in and year out....This bye far is the second best coaching move in the last 5,6,7 years bye the Vikings.( Brad Childress being the first ofcourse)...The Bucs secondary is full of "ok" players and they excell so much in thier system.

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 07:33 PM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

OMG!!!! THIS IS AWESOME!! wow I'm so pumped....The Bucs always have a steller defense...year in and year out....This bye far is the second best coaching move in the last 5,6,7 years bye the Vikings.( except for Brad Childress ofcourse)...The Bucs secondary is full of "ok" players and they excell so much in thier system.

Told you the other day WOT ... be patient ..... that Tomlin was on the way :lol:

singersp
01-08-2006, 07:36 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

OMG!!!! THIS IS AWESOME!! wow I'm so pumped....The Bucs always have a steller defense...year in and year out....This bye far is the second best coaching move in the last 5,6,7 years bye the Vikings.( except for Brad Childress ofcourse)...The Bucs secondary is full of "ok" players and they excell so much in thier system.

Told you the other day WOT ... be patient ..... that Tomlin was on the way :lol:

Didn't you also nail Childress on the head?

So many other people were throwing out names that made me cringe with fear.

I like what I'm seeing so far.

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 07:36 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings | Tomlin will become team's defensive coordinator
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 09:04:00 -0800

620WDAE.com reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin will become the Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator. Tomlin told the St. Petersburg Times that he is leaving Tampa Bay.

Singer, you just made my day. I was watching all the Tampa sites, but damn it, I didn't think of WDAE .... Hate that station, all bucs all the time, but I should have known better ...... YES, YES, YES !!!!!!

Mr. Purple
01-08-2006, 07:38 PM
MNJAMIE ARNT YOU SO FRIGGIN PUMPED!!!!???? This is sucha good move!

singersp
01-08-2006, 07:39 PM
7 months, 3 weeks to Vikings pre-season & counting!

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 07:40 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

Didn't you also nail Childress on the head?

So many other people were throwing out names that made me cringe with fear.

I like what I'm seeing so far.

Not to "toot" my own horn, but yes myself and like 2 others felt childress was the man ... but he was my only choice. It just made sense.

Tomlin, with his contract up and being denied the opportunity to move on the last couple years, being the secondary guy for the Buc's since 2001 ... it was time for him to move on and he knew it. Not to mention, we have talent on our "D" and good veteran players in the secondary that I think can pick up the "tampa 2" quickly ... but also are athletic enough to actually execute ......

V4L
01-08-2006, 07:40 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Bye Teddy!!

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm going to repost some of the stuff I have already found on Tomlin since it's now official:

More info on Tomlin:

Mike Tomlin enters his fifth season with the Buccaneers as the defensive backs coach. During his four-year tenure, the Buccaneers defense has ranked in the top five in the NFL in total defense three times while ranking in the top five in pass defense all four seasons, including number one rankings in 2002 and 2004. In 2002, Tomlin’s top-ranked secondary recorded four of Tampa Bay’s five INTs, returning two for TDs, in Super Bowl XXXVII as his unit helped lead Tampa Bay to its first world championship.

Tomlin’s defensive backs turned in a dominating performance in 2004, leading the defense to final rankings of fifth in total defense (284.5 ypg) and first in pass defense (123.3 ypg), marking the eighth consecutive season (1997-2004) it has ranked among the league’s top 10 in total defense, the longest current streak in the league. Tomlin’s men have also been adept at limiting the success of quarterbacks, as illustrated by the efficiency ratings posted by opposing signal callers the past three seasons; 48.1 rating (tops in the NFL) in 2002, 69.4 rating (sixth in the NFL) in 2003 and a 77.2 rating (11th in the NFL) in 2004.

Eighth-year CB Ronde Barber was again the catalyst of the Buccaneers secondary as he was named to his second career Pro Bowl in 2004, leading the defensive backs and ranking fourth on the team with 111 tackles. His 111 stops tied a career high while also tying his own team record for most tackles in a season by a cornerback. Additionally, Barber led the team in tackles for loss (nine) for the second consecutive season. He also ranked tied for second on the team with three INTs, third with 12 passes defensed and sixth with 3.0 sacks. Barber was the only Buccaneer defender to record a statistic in every defensive category in 2004, accomplishing the feat for the second consecutive season and fourth time in his career. The defensive leader also chipped in two TDs on fumble returns last season, raising his career regular season TD total to seven, good for first place in team history for most career touchdowns by a defensive player.

In addition to Barber’s outstanding play, the dominance displayed by Tomlin’s secondary in 2004 can be attributed to the return of CB Brian Kelly, who missed the majority of the 2003 campaign because of injury. Like Barber, Kelly started all 16 games at cornerback last season, ranking tied for second in the NFL with a team-leading 22 passes defensed. Kelly also led the team and ranked tied for 10th in the NFC with four INTs. Additionally, his 13 INTs the past three years rank tied for eighth in the NFL.

While Tomlin’s cornerbacks enjoyed a relatively healthy 2004, his safeties were not as fortunate, specifically S Jermaine Phillips, who began last season as the starting free safety. In his third season, and first as an established starter, Phillips displayed outstanding speed and a physical presence in his first nine starts before sustaining a left forearm fracture that landed him on injured reserve. However, before his departure, Phillips recorded 71 tackles, one INT, one pass defensed and one sack. At the strong safety position, Dwight Smith started in all 16 games and surpassed the 100-tackle plateau for the first time in his career, ranking fifth on the team with a career-high 104 tackles. He also led the team with four forced fumbles and ranked second with a career-high 14 passes defensed in 2004.

Rounding out the secondary and filling in for Phillips were safeties Will Allen, Dexter Jackson and John Howell. Allen, a rookie out of Ohio State, saw the majority of his action on special teams, totaling eight special teams tackles and one forced fumble. Allen also recorded one interception on defense. Jackson, MVP of Super Bowl XXXVII for the Buccaneers, returned to Tampa prior to the Week 11 contest to appear in six games with one start, totaling 25 tackles, one forced fumble and one pass defensed. Howell saw the majority of action at free safety following the injury to Phillips, appearing in 16 games with six starts. Howell finished the season with 17 tackles and one pass defensed while ranking second on the team with 19 special teams tackles. Additionally, the Buccaneers defense has often depended on the consistent play of a fifth defensive back for its continued success, and last season was no exception. Filling the role of the nickel back in 2004 was veteran CB Mario Edwards and second-year corner Torrie Cox, who also doubled as the team’s primary kickoff returner. Cox recorded his first career INT in 2004, returning it for a TD against San Francisco.

Despite several starters missing time because of injury, Tomlin’s defensive backs again formed one of the league’s top secondary units in the NFL in 2003. The unit helped the Buccaneers defense finish fifth in total defense (279.1 ypg) and third in passing defense (169.1 ypg).

Exhibiting unmatched toughness, Barber was once again Tomlin’s top performer in the defensive backfield in 2003. Starting all 16 games for the fourth consecutive year, Barber led the secondary and finished second on the team with a career-high 111 tackles. His 111 tackles were the most in team history for a cornerback, surpassing CB Jeris White’s 103 tackles in 1978. Barber was one of only two Buccaneers (DE Simeon Rice) to record a statistic in every defensive category in 2003, finishing with two INTs, nine passes defensed, two forced fumbles, 1.5 sacks, one fumble recovery and a team-leading five tackles for loss.

Perhaps the most significant injury of the Buccaneers 2003 injury-riddled campaign was the loss of Kelly. Tomlin was forced to make due without the team’s 2002 interception leader when he was placed on injured reserve after five games with a left pectoral strain. In his stead, Tomlin utilized a variety of starting lineups, though second-year CB Tim Wansley took the majority of Kelly’s snaps in the starter’s role. Wansley performed admirably as he appeared in 12 games with six starts in 2003 before he too was placed on injured reserve with a left hamstring strain following the Week 13 contest. In his 12 games, Wansley posted the first two INTs of his career (tied for second on the team), returning one for his first career touchdown.

Undoubtedly the most versatile of Tomlin’s pupils was CB/S Smith. Smith, who was slated to start at free safety in 2003 after spending his first two seasons at CB, was invaluable to the Buccaneers defense as he saw action at every position in the defensive backfield. Starting all 16 games (nine at FS, six at CB and one at SS), he led the team with a career-high five INTs and ranked fifth with 85 tackles despite the consistent shuffling of positions. SS John Lynch was also a victim of the injury bug in 2003, suffering from a right shoulder stinger most of the season. Though he missed two full games because of the injury, the defensive stalwart still amassed 95 tackles to rank fourth on the team and ranked tied for second with two interceptions.

Tomlin also spent considerable time grooming promising second-year S Phillips in 2003. A valuable special teams player who was the only rookie to appear in all 16 games in 2002, Phillips helped to offset the plague of injuries by appearing in 14 games with seven starts at free safety and one at strong safety. Phillips, who also missed two games with a fractured right forearm, finished with 49 tackles, three forced fumbles, one INT and three passes defensed.

In 2002, Tomlin directed one of the most productive secondary units in the NFL, culminating with its performance in Super Bowl XXXVII. In helping capture the club’s first Super Bowl title, the unit recorded four of Rich Gannon’s five interceptions, returning two for touchdowns. Jackson’s two first-half INTs garnered him Super Bowl MVP honors while Smith returned his two INTs for touchdowns to set a Super Bowl record.

Tomlin’s secondary led a defensive unit that ranked first in the NFL in pass defense in 2002, surrendering only 155.6 yards per game through the air. The defense led the league with 31 interceptions in 2002 and Tomlin’s unit was instrumental in limiting opposing quarterbacks to a 48.4 rating and just 10 TD passes. Under Tomlin’s direction, Barber continued to evolve into one of the premier corners in the NFL. Following a 2001 Pro Bowl appearance, Barber earned AP All-Pro Second Team honors in 2002 as he finished second in the secondary and fourth on the team with 95 tackles. He also finished second on the team with 21 passes defensed and posted two INTs and 3.0 sacks in 2002. In his first full season as a starting cornerback, Kelly tied for first in the NFL with a career-high eight INTs. Kelly notched a career-high and team-best 23 passes defensed in 2002, while also recording a career-high in tackles (78). As the leader of the secondary, Lynch made his fifth Pro Bowl appearance in 2002 and was named to the All-Pro team for the fourth consecutive season. Lynch recorded three INTs in 2002 and ranked third on the team with 96 tackles. Under Tomlin’s direction, Jackson was named Super Bowl XXXVII MVP after posting two interceptions in the victory over Oakland. Second-year CB Smith had a breakout season as the team’s nickel back. While only making two starts, Smith ranked third on the team with four INTs. He also excelled on special teams by posting 20 special teams tackles, ranking second on the team.

Since joining Tampa Bay prior to the 2001 season, Tomlin has stressed the importance of fundamentals and techniques and the Buccaneers’ defensive unit responded by finishing fifth in the NFL in pass defense in 2001 and second in the NFL with 28 interceptions, 23 of which came courtesy of Tomlin’s secondary unit. Under Tomlin’s direction, Barber earned his first Pro Bowl selection after tying for the NFL lead with a career-high 10 interceptions and Lynch secured his fourth trip to the annual All-Star game after eclipsing the 100-tackle plateau for the sixth straight season.

Tomlin joined the Buccaneers after serving two seasons as the defensive backs coach at the University of Cincinnati (1999-00). At Cincinnati, Tomlin took over a secondary unit that ranked 111th in the nation in pass efficiency defense in 1998 and helped improve them to 61st overall in 1999. In 2000 under Tomlin’s guidance, the Bearcats ranked eighth in the nation in interceptions, as well as fourth nationally in total turnovers. Prior to joining the Bearcats, Tomlin had a short stint on the coaching staff at Tennessee-Martin and then spent two seasons with Arkansas State, coaching the wide receivers in 1997 and switching to defensive backs in 1998. Tomlin spent the 1996 season as a graduate assistant at the University of Memphis, working with the Tiger defensive backs and special teams units. In 1995, Tomlin began his coaching career as wide receivers coach at the Virginia Military Institute.

Tomlin, a three-year starter at William & Mary, concluded his playing career with 101 receptions for 2,046 yards and a school-record 20 touchdown catches. A first-team All-Yankee Conference selection in 1994, Tomlin established a school-record with a 20.2 yards per catch average.

Tomlin joined several other Buccaneers coaches to host the High School Coaching Academy during the 2004 offseason in conjunction with the National Football Foundation. The academy is a one day, hands-on clinic designed to elevate the quality of football coaching at the high school level.

Prior to 2002, the Buccaneers defensive backs coach participated in the “Bucs on the Beach� volleyball tournament, sponsored by Checkers, in which all proceeds went to the Make-A-Wish Foundation and the Glazer Family Foundation. In 2002 and 2003, Tomlin also lent his coaching knowledge to “NFL 101,� a program that educates women on the terminology, formations, strategy and basics of football.

Tomlin is married to the former Kiya Dawn and the couple resides in Tampa with their two sons, Dino and Mason. Kiya has spent time in the Tampa community as a member of the Buccaneers Women’s Organization, including participating in the Metropolitan Ministries’ Holiday Tent.

TOMLIN AT A GLANCE

# 1992-94…William & Mary, player
# 1995…Virginia Military Institute, Wide Receivers Coach
# 1996…Memphis, Graduate Assistant
# 1997…Arkansas State, Wide Receivers Coach
# 1998…Arkansas State, Defensive Backs Coach
# 1999-00…Cincinnati, Defensive Backs Coach
# 2001-05…Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Defensive Backs Coach
http://www.buccaneers.com/team/coachdetail.aspx?listid=coaches&coach=Tomlin,Mike

michaelmazid
01-08-2006, 07:42 PM
That is great news. We must keep Brian Williams. Tomlin will talk B. Will into stayin and Wilf needs to pay that boy.

Ltrey33
01-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Yes! It came true...just what I was hoping would go down. This is becoming one good offseason very early on!

Mr. Purple
01-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Ya mnjamie you've nailed every addition on the head. What year will we win the SuperBowl?? :lol: :lol:

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Here's our new boy .... some old info on him also:

Looks like Miami wanted him last year pretty bad for the same position:

January 22, 2005

Defensive Backs Coach Mike Tomlin to Miami?
7:32 PM CST

an original article by Michael Awi

PewterReport.com is reporting that highly touted Defensive Backs coach Mike Tomlin may be on his way out. He is still working with the Buccaneer staff at the Senior Bowl, but has been rumored to have been offered the Defensive Coordinator job by the Miami Dolphins. Tomlin has said his hope is to be a Defensive Coordinator in the league in the future.

"I think time will tell," Tomlin said. "We all have dreams and aspirations, and mine are those."

"I can’t speak for everybody, but I do believe he’s got a tremendous amount of respect," Gruden said. "He’s a knowledgeable guy, and a real high-energy guy. He’s a great communicator. He’s consistent in that he’s always up. He’s a very optimistic, upbeat guy, but he’s very demanding and detail-oriented guy, too. He’s a superstar coach. He’s going to be one of the best. He’s got a great future and we’re very proud to have him on our staff. His talent is unlimited and we’re very fortunate to have him here."

Tampa Bay has been talking to Tomlin in hopes to bring him back next season, but it is unknown how talks are going right now. But if Tomlin were to sign an extension with the Buccaneers, he would likely been denied any possibility of leaving before that contract would expire.

If Tomlin is to leave for any other job, assistant Defensive Backs coach Raheem Morris is expected to take over as the Defensive Backs coach.
http://2005.otcdraft.com/content/article/20050122321242381957.php

--------------------------------------------------

Kiffin gave him the stamp of approval, that's good enough for me:

John Lynch was in Hawaii in February, 2001. Another Pro Bowl appearance for one of the league's most accomplished safeties.

When Lynch's phone rang, it was defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin calling from the mainland. Good news, Kiffin said. The Bucs had found a defensive backs coach to replace recently departed Herm Edwards. A sharp guy, Kiffin said. Enthusiastic. Lots of great ideas.

Then came a long pause.

There's just one issue, Kiffin said.

Mike Tomlin was 28. Lynch, at the time, was 29. He was now putting his career in the hands of a coach who was younger than he.

"I thought, 'Whoa, this will be a little different,' " Lynch said. "But Mike called me five minutes later and was talking about all the things we could do. And when he got here, he did things his own way.

"It doesn't matter how old you are or where you came from, people earn respect by knowing how to do their job. And he knew what he was doing."

In two of the previous three seasons the pass defense had ranked second in the NFL. No matter, Tomlin said. The Bucs were going back to basics.

E.D.D., he called it. Every Day Drills.

The Bucs would focus on footwork. They would get back to fundamentals. Tomlin felt like there was room for improvement.

"Some of the guys thought he was crazy," Lynch said. "You're out there thinking, 'We did these drills in high school.' "

Two weeks ago the Bucs finished the regular season with the No. 1-ranked pass defense in the NFL.
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/16/Columns/Young_assistants_make.shtml

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tomlins contract is up after the playoffs for the buc's.

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGB6ACSKSGE.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomlins Bio:

Mike Tomlin - defensive backs; born March 15, 1972, Hampton, Va. Wide receiver William & Mary 1991-94. No pro playing experience. College coach: Virginia Military Institute 1995, Memphis 1996, Tennessee-Martin 1997, Arkansas State 1997-98, Cincinnati 1999-2000. Pro coach: Joined Buccaneers in 2001.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/coaching/TB

I really like that fact that he made them go back to basics and re-focus on the fundamentals .... Perfectionist. Love it.

PurplePeopleEaters
01-08-2006, 07:44 PM
YES! GREAT MOVE.

Vikes
01-08-2006, 07:46 PM
GO ZIGGY!!!!!! Bring back the Purple Pride!

singersp
01-08-2006, 07:48 PM
OC Loney = Gone!

DC Cottrell = Gone!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/DB1.gif

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 07:50 PM

MNJAMIE ARNT YOU SO FRIGGIN PUMPED!!!!???? This is sucha good move!

Such a good move !!!! I am so happy right now i'm jumping out of my skin !!!! Aggressive "D" line calls, blitzes everywhere, very good disguising coverages, a defense that will be playing "down hill" and actually dictating the game instead of reacting to it ..... the list goes on.

This guy is VERY WELL respected in Tampa and the NFL for his skills at being an innovator, Kiffin even takes direction from him when it comes to the secondary ... Kiffen trusted him so much, he never interfeared with anything he did.

His players loved him, but still respected him. The guy is like only 30 years old, which means Wilf can keep locking him up for a long time, if he so chooses like Tampa does with Kiffin and Washington did with Williams. Just keep him happy with the money, he wont want to go anywhere.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!! This is GREAT NEWS !!!!!!!!

PurpleManiac
01-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Holy Cow! I can definetly see the Cover 2 working here....

Remember that Cover 2 requires your front 4 to get pressure on their own. There's no doubt in my mind that next year with a healthy Udeze and KWill along with James and Pat we'll have one of the best line in the league...plenty of pressure all day long for opposing QB's!

Smoot, who struggled with season, will also like the Cover 2 scheme I think. CB's have to be able to cover 1 on 1 on the outside, alot of man-coverage.

IMO this is almost better then the Childress signing =P

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 07:53 PM

Ya mnjamie you've nailed every addition on the head. What year will we win the SuperBowl?? :lol: :lol:

I have no problem putting it out there ........

2008 ............ The Year of the VIKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PurplePeopleEaters
01-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Man this is great news. His schemes will work so well here. We already have the talent. The only thing we may need is one more faster LB to play the cover 2. Otherwise our Defense looks great for this scheme. Bye Cotrell!

Potus2028
01-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Thank goodness.. maybe we won't call blitzing on third and long against a qb that needs to prove himself (cough cough ravens game)

don't know much about the tampa cover two.. will it play in with sharper and smoot's abilities?

and my improvement request for defense..
one more DE, and a faster LB..
we can hold off on new CB's for one more year i think

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 07:58 PM
"PurpleManiac" wrote:

Remember that Cover 2 requires your front 4 to get pressure on their own. There's no doubt in my mind that next year with a healthy Udeze and KWill along with James and Pat we'll have one of the best line in the league...plenty of pressure all day long for opposing QB's!

Smoot, who struggled with season, will also like the Cover 2 scheme I think. CB's have to be able to cover 1 on 1 on the outside, alot of man-coverage.

I would have to almost agree .... it is a little better than Childress signing.

Phat Pat will play the under tackle and K.Will will be set loose on the QB ... then the athletic DE's we have will run wild.

Newman on the weakside, Henderson at SAM .... Cowart will have to be replaced as he is to slow to cover the soft spot in the middle of the field where the "tampa 2" is vulnerable. Henderson is a good cover guy, but will have to work on his technique also.

Word is: DERRICK BROOKS will have to restructure his contract (IN A BIG WAY) as it also expires after next year, to stay a Buc this year as rumors are also flying that Gruden really wants T.O. ... Bring him in and this "D" is set as he will allign everyone on the field and be the on field coach Tomlin needs ...........

Freakout
01-08-2006, 08:02 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

Phat Pat will play the under tackle and K.Will will be set loose on the QB ... then the athletic DE's we have will run wild.

Newman on the weakside, Henderson at SAM .... Cowart will have to be replaced as he is to slow to cover the soft spot in the middle of the field where the "tampa 2" is vulnerable. Henderson is a good cover guy, but will have to work on his technique also.

Word is: DERRICK BROOKS will have to restructure his contract (IN A BIG WAY) to stay a Buc this year as rumors are also flying that Gruden really wants T.O. ... Bring him in and this "D" is set as he will allign everyone on the field and be the on field coach Tomlin needs ...........

Think Arrington could fill Cowarts spot? He says he doesn't expect to be a Redskin next year.

snowinapril
01-08-2006, 08:05 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

Word is: DERRICK BROOKS will have to restructure his contract (IN A BIG WAY) to stay a Buc this year as rumors are also flying that Gruden really wants T.O. ... Bring him in and this "D" is set as he will allign everyone on the field and be the on field coach Tomlin needs ...........

TO would make Simms cry like a little girl.

Griese might be able to handle TO, if Griese can perform consistantly next year.

I can dig this Coach coming in helping us out, he is young(??), he must be smart and have good communication skills to have gotten this far so fast.

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 08:06 PM
"Freakout" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

Think Arrington could fill Cowarts spot? He says he doesn't expect to be a Redskin next year.

No, his injuries have slowed him ALOT and watching Arrington yesterday and through out the year ... he has lost alot of speed and in Tomlin's "D" (if he stays the same as Tampa's, which is to be expected as it's the only NFL one he knows since joining the league in 2001) you really have to get back deep into the center of the field and motor.

snowinapril
01-08-2006, 08:07 PM
"singersp" wrote:

OC Loney = Gone!

DC Cottrell = Gone!

I wonder how the former Bill/Jet players are dealing with this?

No guarantees in the Not For Long League.

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 08:10 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

OC Loney = Gone!

DC Cottrell = Gone!

I would think they would be excited also. Cottrell held them back and never really "unleashed" them on an "O". I would expect Tomlin to just let them attack .... Did anyone see that Skin/Buc game yesterday? That's what I am expecting to see from our "D" with Tomlin here. Granted, it will take a little time to learn as it is exotic if any of the players havn't played in it ... but they will like how aggressive it allows them to be.

PurplePeopleEaters
01-08-2006, 08:10 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

Word is: DERRICK BROOKS will have to restructure his contract (IN A BIG WAY) as it also expires after next year, to stay a Buc this year as rumors are also flying that Gruden really wants T.O. ... Bring him in and this "D" is set as he will allign everyone on the field and be the on field coach Tomlin needs ...........

How about Akin Ayodele at MLB? He is an FA this year. I would be pretty stoked if we got him. He would fit the system pretty well.

Mr. Purple
01-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Lavar and Julian would solidfy this defense. Getting one of the 2 would be huge (dreaming over getting both).

PurpleManiac
01-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Lavar AND Julian! AAaahahahahahhhh!!!!! That is so freakin awesome if we got them, I think I will personally cry in my room...

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 08:18 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

How about Akin Ayodele at MLB? He is an FA this year. I would be pretty stoked if we got him. He would fit the system pretty well.

He would have to make the switch from OLB to MLB .... but he has the physical tools. I don't see him leaving the Jags though as Del Rio really likes him ... but who knows??? I don't know Jacksonville's salary cap situation though either.

singersp
01-08-2006, 08:21 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

OC Loney = Gone!

DC Cottrell = Gone!

Actually there are rumors that Cotrell may be going back to the Jets as HC to replace Edwards.

I posted an article on it this morning.

PurplePeopleEaters
01-08-2006, 08:22 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

He would have to make the switch from OLB to MLB .... but he has the physical tools. I don't see him leaving the Jags though as Del Rio really likes him ... but who knows??? I don't know Jacksonville's salary cap situation though either.

I thought he already was an MLB? Let me check.

LuckyVike
01-08-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm so pumped up... I don't know if I'll be able to make it until next season.

singersp
01-08-2006, 08:25 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I'm wondering how the Cheesedicks are dealing with this.

While they're scrambling to sign a HC, were sucking up the best out there.

Latest skinny is Sean Payton from Dallas is tops on their list of candidates for HC.

snowinapril
01-08-2006, 08:53 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

OC Loney = Gone!

DC Cottrell = Gone!

Actually there are rumors that Cotrell may be going back to the Jets as HC to replace Edwards.

Wow, I missed that!! Maybe he can give Tice a J.O.B. if he doesn't get a HC job elsewhere.

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 08:58 PM

"mnjamie" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

I thought he already was an MLB? Let me check.

Here's the link on him:

http://www.jaguars.com/Team/Bio/FullBio/1825.asp

mnjamie
01-08-2006, 09:05 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

OC Loney = Gone!

DC Cottrell = Gone!

Haslett is supposed to be their #1 choice though with Mike Sherman coming in a close 2nd:

JETS GIVE FIRST SHOT TO HASLETT

By MARK CANNIZZARO January 8, 2006 -- First up in the batter's box for the Jets in their search for a head coach is Jim Haslett, a man who knows a thing or two about adversity.

Haslett, who was fired by the Saints after six seasons coaching New Orleans, is due to arrive to New York today to have dinner with Jets GM Terry Bradway and his assistant Mike Tannenbaum, and he'll likely spend some time at Weeb Ewbank Hall tomorrow.

The former Saints coach, in an interview with The Post yesterday, expressed genuine interest in the Jets' job and had high compliments for the organization, but also said he doesn't need to rush...

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/61191.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10742825/

ChezPizmo
01-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Wow! How great as our off-season been so far.. and it's just started!! I'm already ready for the season to start!
This will be awesome. The Bucs defense has been insanely good and well built for the past few seasons. Now with these coaches that mean business, now hopefully our players will be taught well. Now I'm eager to find out what players we sign and what not.

ChezPizmo
01-08-2006, 09:16 PM
"LuckyVike" wrote:

I'm so pumped up... I don't know if I'll be able to make it until next season.

I feel ya!

singersp
01-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Tomlin also had the benefit of working under Dungy for 2 years. :grin:

Muggsy
01-08-2006, 09:38 PM
mnjamie wrote:

2008 ............ The Year of the VIKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008? Hey, I might be dead by den, y'know? How bout dis year, hah?

nephilimstorm
01-08-2006, 09:39 PM
wow...i nailed Childress o the head...not to toot of course...Tomlin would and will be a great pick for DC...now what about offensive...why spend the money on a OC if childress is calling all the plays....Great offseason so far...now I wonder what LB are coming to my town?? lol

magicci
01-08-2006, 10:06 PM
"Potus2028" wrote:

Thank goodness.. maybe we won't call blitzing on third and long against a qb that needs to prove himself (cough cough ravens game)

don't know much about the tampa cover two.. will it play in with sharper and smoot's abilities?

and my improvement request for defense..
one more DE, and a faster LB..
we can hold off on new CB's for one more year i think
This will play in perfectly with their abilities. Sharper is excellent in playing zone and roaming around back there, he's a ball hawk. Smoot is an great man coverage guy so this is really good.

magicci
01-08-2006, 10:07 PM
and another thing about this defense, if it made chris hovan a solid starter in a number one ranked defense imagine what it would do with our D-line.

VikingsTw
01-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Man alive this is music to my ears!!!

The other day when you created that thread MNjaine and it got moved i read the post, i also heard the name on NFL Access. I went to look him up and you had already had the info on him. I'm pumped for this pickup, as soon as i read about the guy i wanted him, so far the offseason is like a dream come true!

This guys name must be getting around out there, Childress didn't even hesitate. Good signing, we need a motivater, somebody with some spark.

SamDawg84
01-08-2006, 11:39 PM
nooo! i liked teddy!

PurplePeopleEaters
01-08-2006, 11:39 PM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

nooo! i liked teddy!

Why? Please enlighten me.

ultravikingfan
01-08-2006, 11:50 PM

"SamDawg84" wrote:

nooo! i liked teddy!

He never does.

He likes likes to say that but never says why.

:roll:

PurplePeopleEaters
01-08-2006, 11:53 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"SamDawg84" wrote:

nooo! i liked teddy!

He never does.

As does everyone who attempts to justify the fact that Cotrell was good. :roll:

magicci
01-08-2006, 11:55 PM

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"SamDawg84" wrote:

nooo! i liked teddy!

He never does.

As does everyone who attempts to justify the fact that Cotrell was good. :roll:
maybe he's afriad that if he says why Ted might face some legal issues. :lol:

Vikesfan4evr
01-09-2006, 12:05 AM
"singersp" wrote:

OC Loney = Gone!

DC Cottrell = Gone!

Yes, that is the best news to come out of MN in quite sometime. I miss the ol days of the purple people eaters D. I was a kid then but it was my first memory of the Vikes and have waited every since for an attacking D. Woohoo I'm pumped...

V4L
01-09-2006, 12:05 AM
He says he likes him "just because"

He doesn't understand that this is improving our team ALOT and Ted isn't any good..

He doesn't like people cuz they are good.. He likes people just because I guess

mnjamie
01-09-2006, 12:15 AM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

nooo! i liked teddy!

Since Sam wont say why he likes Cottrell, I will list why I DON'T like him:

He never blitzed until we were behind in the game, even then it was limited.

He had corners (two good one's by the way) always play at least 10 yrds off the ball and never allowed them to press the other teams WR's.

Never allowed safety help over the top when the other team had a "stud" WR (see chad johnson and steve smith).

LB's never got back to cover the middle "D" side of the ball on obvious passing downs.

"D" lineman never ran any exotic stunts to get pressure on the QB when it was obvious the base "D" being called wasn't getting even close to applying pressure in any way.

So, I feel Teddy should go the same reason everyone else wanted Tice out, he couldn't adjust his schemes and players during a game to counter what the other teams "O" was doing.

In my mind, with the talent this defense has and all the money paid out against the cap for these players .... you don't go out and call schemes to limit their abilities .... Thats just IMO though, i'm just a fan who knows nothing.

I hope that helped Sam, Now why do you like Teddy? ...... :lol:

V4L
01-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Exactly MNJamie.. Im gonna have him read that real quick!!

He has no response.. He just laughed

He must know he is wrong!

mnjamie
01-09-2006, 12:18 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Exactly MNJamie.. Im gonna have him read that real quick!!

He has no response.. He just laughed

He must know he is wrong!

Just trying to point out the obvious for him ...... :lol: (just messin' around)

V4L
01-09-2006, 12:20 AM
I feel ya man.. I don't understand why he doesn't get it!

It's quite obvious we should have done better with the D we had.. We totally underachieved.. Even the last half of the season after we gelled

fourdoorchevelle
01-09-2006, 12:30 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"SamDawg84" wrote:

nooo! i liked teddy!

He never does.

the only thing i can think of is the turnovers we were getting during the winning streak .

i've like teddy , but he's had his chance. the talent was there but still unable to get them to where they should have been .

Euphman06
01-09-2006, 12:55 AM
I think we were getting those interceptions because of Sharper being smarter the teddy and just being a ball hawk

Prophet
01-09-2006, 01:08 AM
Great news! Man, what an offseason and it's only wildcard weekend.

LittleD
01-09-2006, 01:13 AM
So Tomlin is for sure the D-coordinator now? We didnt even interview him yet did we? I hope its true though, with the talent we had on D this year we should never have been ranked down where we were.

BBQ Platypus
01-09-2006, 01:23 AM
This offseason just keeps getting better and better...what a difference a week makes.

RK.
01-09-2006, 01:25 AM
Tomlin=great move by our new head coach. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

Also once again shows the smarts that Wilf had in hitting the ground running after the end of the season. While other teams are now in an interview war for new head coaches our new head coach is signing up his new staff and we are getting the pick of the litter. Way to go Wilf. :thumbleft:

mnjamie
01-09-2006, 02:23 AM
"LittleD" wrote:

So Tomlin is for sure the D-coordinator now? We didnt even interview him yet did we? I hope its true though, with the talent we had on D this year we should never have been ranked down where we were.

Read the entire thread:

Mike Tomlin appears to be the choice of new Vikings head coach Brad Childress to run the Minnesota defense. The Bucs defensive backs coach acknowledged a report that he would be leaving Tampa Bay, telling the St. Pete Times that the rumors are "legit" that he is going to Minnesota.

The coaching staff won't be the only thing with a new look next season. In a pair of dramatic interviews conducted by T.J. Rives in the postgame, Derrick Brooks suggested that some regulars will be gone next season and Mike Alstott seemed to hint that he may be retiring. "You know, the fans are the best. What the fans have done for me in my career, I can't even describe. I'd like to thank everybody out there for their support and what they've done for me," Alstott said with his voice a little shaky.

Before that Brooks said, "This is the last time this group, everybody in this room, will be here together. There's gonna be some new faces next year, and I just hope from here on out we can build on the things we did this year and really make a run at this thing again next year."

During halftime of the television broadcast, Brooks, Ronde Barber and Josh Bidwell were all named starters for the Pro Bowl.

Cadillac Williams was the runaway winner of the AP's Offensive Rookie of the Year honors, getting 47 of a possible 50 votes Wednesday from national writers. On Thursday Williams was honored as the NFL Rookie of the Month.

Despite missing part or all of several games with a foot injury Williams compiled 1,178 yards and six touchdowns and was the big reason for the offensive turnaround of the Bucs. Three other players got one vote each including Williams' college running mate Ronnie Brown of the Dolphins, along with Steelers tight end Heath Miller and Patriots offensive lineman Logan Mankins.

On Wednesday Simeon Rice was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in a division-clinching 27-13 win over the Saints.

LittleD
01-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Good deal. I like how Zygi and Childress are putting our staff together quick so they can get a feel for the team and have a good idea on what we need to address in FA and the draft.

mnjamie
01-09-2006, 02:41 AM
I think it is hilarious that none of the major or local (in Minny) sites are reporting any of this in anyway ..... :lol:

I think Singer missed his calling, he needs to become a reporter for the Star Trib or P.Press .... He gets all the scoops !!!!!

Just goes to show, PP.O is your one stop shop for ALL the latest and up-to-date related info on the Vikings !

magicci
01-09-2006, 04:13 AM
yea its crazy how the star trib. or pioneer press hasnt reported this yet. Even vikingupdate.com is on the late train.

cajunvike
01-09-2006, 04:16 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"LittleD" wrote:

Read the entire thread:

Yow would be MORE THAN welcome here, DB....more than welcome for sure!!!

nogathomasmillarddoleman
01-09-2006, 04:16 AM
That is good news and I feel we do have the talent to do it sooner rather than later. The only hole I can see, at first glance, is not having a hard hitting SS in the Lynch mold, but Sharper should have a field day again.
I wonder if we'll see Hovan back. LOL.

Caine
01-09-2006, 04:18 AM
I, for one, am THRILLED that Cottrell is gone. Regardless of excuses, I don't see him as a premier DC...and the lack of further job offers will attest to that.

Most of the Pro-Cottrell crowd point to the improvement of the Defensive play after the Carolina game. It should be pointed out that that was the week that Tice went into the Defensive meetings and STRIPPED the Defensive play book, removing all "similar" plays to eliminate confusion.

Once that was done, our "D" started playing well. But, many people mistakenly believe that the credit belongs to Cottrell. I've even seen media hacks state as much.

WRONG!!!

If it had been left up to Cottrell, our Defense would have remained confused all season. Ted doesn't adjust, and doesn't roll coverage. In short, he refuses to adapt to the situation at hand. He is NOT a good Defensive Coordinator.

Further, since the Linebackers were HIS responsibility - and the worst of the Defensive units - one has to wonder exactly what he is GOOD at?

Now, he may be a great guy...I wouldn't know. This isn't meant to be an indictment of him as a person...just as a coach. Specifically, as OUR coach. In my opinion, he didn't get it done.

Caine

magicci
01-09-2006, 04:20 AM
with cottrell gone do u think cowart will be gone as well?

mnjamie
01-09-2006, 04:25 AM
"nogathomasmillarddoleman" wrote:

That is good news and I feel we do have the talent to do it sooner rather than later. The only hole I can see, at first glance, is not having a hard hitting SS in the Lynch mold, but Sharper should have a field day again.
I wonder if we'll see Hovan back. LOL.

Consider that hole filed:

Position: CB
Class: Sr
School: Ohio St.
Conference: Big Ten
Ht., Wt.: 5-11, 191
40 Time: 4.52
Grading System: 3.38 / 4.0

BIO: Three-year starter who posted 28/0/3 in nine games of an abbreviated senior campaign when he was sidelined with an arm injury. All-Conference selection as a junior after tallying 77/3/9. Experienced at both cornerback and safety and productive on special teams.

POSITIVES: Tough, feisty defensive back with a good head for the position. Alert, displays good ball awareness and immediately locates the pass in the air. Leads the defensive secondary, hard working and takes on bigger opponents defending screen passes. Positions himself to make a play on the ball and does a nice job reading receivers' eyes.

NEGATIVES: Quick out of his backpedal and prefers to side shuffle down the field. Marginal playing speed and struggles staying downfield with opponents. Consistently playing catch-up.

ANALYSIS: An instinctive prospect with solid size/speed numbers and excellent intangibles, Fox is coming off a disappointing senior campaign. And though it was marred by injury, scouts still wonder about his potential for the next level. Previously displayed himself as a potential first-day pick but now a late-round choice who will fight to see action as a nickel back in the NFL.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/60329.html

Name this Player?

Dustin Fox
Selected by: Minnesota Vikings
Round 3, pick 16 (80 overall)
Everyone seems to forget about him ..... :lol:

magicci
01-09-2006, 04:28 AM
i havent forgotten about dustin fox. but i dont think he can start yet. He should be our ST beast. I think Offord might be our opening day starter. Offord was drafted in the 2nd round for a reason.

nogathomasmillarddoleman
01-09-2006, 04:36 AM
"Caine" wrote:

I, for one, am THRILLED that Cottrell is gone. Regardless of excuses, I don't see him as a premier DC...and the lack of further job offers will attest to that.

Most of the Pro-Cottrell crowd point to the improvement of the Defensive play after the Carolina game. It should be pointed out that that was the week that Tice went into the Defensive meetings and STRIPPED the Defensive play book, removing all "similar" plays to eliminate confusion.

Once that was done, our "D" started playing well. But, many people mistakenly believe that the credit belongs to Cottrell. I've even seen media hacks state as much.

WRONG!!!

If it had been left up to Cottrell, our Defense would have remained confused all season. Ted doesn't adjust, and doesn't roll coverage. In short, he refuses to adapt to the situation at hand. He is NOT a good Defensive Coordinator.

Further, since the Linebackers were HIS responsibility - and the worst of the Defensive units - one has to wonder exactly what he is GOOD at?

Now, he may be a great guy...I wouldn't know. This isn't meant to be an indictment of him as a person...just as a coach. Specifically, as OUR coach. In my opinion, he didn't get it done.

Caine

I couldn't agree more, Caine. And I dig your Molly Hatchet first album trailer.

MrGopher16
01-09-2006, 04:37 AM
I think it's very possible that some of the guys who followed cottrell here could leave too. They followed him through buffalo and NY, so why not through MN as well...however some are reaching their older years and not as appealing as they once were, so maybe they'll just play the rest of their prime here...who knows?

nogathomasmillarddoleman
01-09-2006, 04:47 AM
"MrGopher16" wrote:

I think it's very possible that some of the guys who followed cottrell here could leave too. They followed him through buffalo and NY, so why not through MN as well...however some are reaching their older years and not as appealing as they once were, so maybe they'll just play the rest of their prime here...who knows?

Well, supposin' that it'll be similar to Tampa's D, the only LB that would be a non-fit right off the bat is Cowart. He just doesn't have the speed anymore; but D Thomas and E.J. might learn and thrive 'cause they both have huge upside. Pat Williams should be considered a priority to keep for sure and if KW can be 100% next year, that should be a killer tandem.

SharperVikings
01-09-2006, 04:54 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

This was reported on Friday on Total Access there was a strong possibility this would happen ..... Sooooooooooo NICE !!!!!!!

Tampa 2 here we come with an attacking defense .... it's finally here people, get EXCITED !!!!!

http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=290264#290264

YAAAAY!!!!

FINALLY!!

SmootCriminal
01-09-2006, 04:57 AM

"MrGopher16" wrote:

Well, supposin' that it'll be similar to Tampa's D, the only LB that would be a non-fit right off the bat is Cowart. He just doesn't have the speed anymore; but D Thomas and E.J. might learn and thrive 'cause they both have huge upside. Pat Williams should be considered a priority to keep for sure and if KW can be 100% next year, that should be a killer tandem.which would mean that we should probably end up drafting a linebacker to fill in some places on the defence. so sorry vernon hayes, we cant draft you lol

cajunvike
01-09-2006, 06:24 AM
"SmootCriminal" wrote:

"MrGopher16" wrote:

Well, supposin' that it'll be similar to Tampa's D, the only LB that would be a non-fit right off the bat is Cowart. He just doesn't have the speed anymore; but D Thomas and E.J. might learn and thrive 'cause they both have huge upside. Pat Williams should be considered a priority to keep for sure and if KW can be 100% next year, that should be a killer tandem.which would mean that we should probably end up drafting a linebacker to fill in some places on the defence. so sorry vernon hayes, we cant draft you lol

OR just picking up a STUD LB in FA!!!

MrGopher16
01-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Whatever it takes i just want to see a STUD LB on our team period. Draft him, hire him in FA, craft him out of brawn and steel.

Do it no matter the cost, we need one!!

PurplePeopleEaters
01-09-2006, 06:30 AM
"MrGopher16" wrote:

Whatever it takes i just want to see a STUD LB on our team period. Draft him, hire him in FA, craft him out of brawn and steel.

Diet pepsi machine? :shock:

mnjamie
01-09-2006, 06:30 AM
"MrGopher16" wrote:

Who do you see available in F/A or the draft that would fit this request of yours that the Vikes have a legitimate shot at?? * curious *

MrGopher16
01-09-2006, 06:32 AM

"MrGopher16" wrote:

Diet pepsi machine? :shock:

haha YES that would be sweet! But the pats already got him unfortunately...

CynicalVike
01-09-2006, 06:36 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"MrGopher16" wrote:

Who do you see available in F/A or the draft that would fit this request of yours that the Vikes have a legitimate shot at?? * curious *

A.J. Hawk

Yeah, we'd have to probably need to trade up to get him, but its not out of the question either.

MrGopher16
01-09-2006, 06:36 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"MrGopher16" wrote:

Well it's pretty evident that i don't see anyone, because i didn't name any names, but i was just trying to emphasize how bad i really want to see some high caliber LB's on our defense. I don't think there's really anything available in FA because it would've been posted over and over and i haven't read anything about that, and draftwise i haven't researched much for names that we could realistically get at our position in the first round.

Perhaps we will need to craft one out of Brawn and steel eh?

mnjamie
01-09-2006, 06:41 AM
"MrGopher16" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"MrGopher16" wrote:

Well it's pretty evident that i don't see anyone, because i didn't name any names, but i was just trying to emphasize how bad i really want to see some high caliber LB's on our defense. I don't think there's really anything available in FA because it would've been posted over and over and i haven't read anything about that, and draftwise i haven't researched much for names that we could realistically get at our position in the first round.

I though maybe you had someone in mind .... I cant think of anybody either.

As I stated earlier, now this is a reach but not impossible, Derrick Brooks is going to be asked to take a big pay cut and on top of that Gruden wants T.Hoe .... They have major cap problems already and Brooks took a pay cut (dont quote me here) like 2 years ago already .... So, with Tomlin coming over and Wilfi opening up the Brinks Truck .... It might be a nice option to explore for the "Brain Trust" currently pushing all the right buttons right now ... He would be the leader on the field getting everybody in position where Tomlin wants them to be ... other than that, I can't think of anyone.

cajunvike
01-09-2006, 07:23 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"MrGopher16" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"MrGopher16" wrote:

As I stated earlier, now this is a reach but not impossible, Derrick Brooks is going to be asked to take a big pay cut and on top of that Gruden wants T.Hoe .... They have major cap problems already and Brooks took a pay cut (dont quote me here) like 2 years ago already .... So, with Tomlin coming over and Wilfi opening up the Brinks Truck .... It might be a nice option to explore for the "Brain Trust" currently pushing all the right buttons right now ... He would be the leader on the field getting everybody in position where Tomlin wants them to be ... other than that, I can't think of anyone.

Derrick Brooks...welcome to Viking Training Camp!!! :grin:

MrGopher16
01-09-2006, 07:27 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"MrGopher16" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"MrGopher16" wrote:

Oh man i would cry tears of joy!! :cheers:

cajunvike
01-09-2006, 08:09 AM
"MrGopher16" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"MrGopher16" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

Oh man i would cry tears of joy!! :cheers:

The D would be set...and Urlacher wouldn't even be the best LB in the Division, much less the whole NFL!!! :lol:

magicci
01-09-2006, 08:12 AM
I hope this happens!!
Just think about it. we will have EJ at weakside, he's a strong and fast LB and getting smarter too! Newman on the strongside hopefully blitzing a lot and keeping the TE on check and Pepsi Mach...ERR..i mean Brooks leading our defense and maning the middle!!!
(damn pats have all the good players, and the take the machine too...)

singersp
01-09-2006, 08:16 AM
"magicci" wrote:

I hope this happens!!
Just think about it. we will have EJ at weakside, he's a strong and fast LB and getting smarter too! Newman on the strongside hopefully blitzing a lot and keeping the TE on check and Pepsi Mach...ERR..i mean Brooks leading our defense and maning the middle!!!
(gol 'darnit pats have all the good players, and the take the machine too...)

Read page 1

magicci
01-09-2006, 08:19 AM
i read it and don't know wat i'm lookin at?

singersp
01-09-2006, 08:23 AM
"magicci" wrote:

I hope this happens!!

Are you refering to Tomlin, Brooks or the remainder of your initial statement?

I'm refering to Tomlin, the one this thread is about.

magicci
01-09-2006, 08:26 AM
i shoulda put a quote in my post but i was referring to the talk about brooks maybe coming and the pepsi machine talk..

singersp
01-09-2006, 08:28 AM
"magicci" wrote:

i shoulda put a quote in my post but i was referring to the talk about brooks maybe coming and the pepsi machine talk..

That makes sense now! :cool:

magicci
01-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Bucs' Tomlin likely to replace fired Cottrell
New coach Brad Childress wants a new defensive coordinator, and he also let go of at least eight other assistants.
By Judd Zulgad and Mark Craig
Last update: January 09, 2006 – 12:15 AM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 33-year-old defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin emerged as the Vikings' top choice for defensive coordinator Sunday as new head coach Brad Childress fired defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell and at least eight other assistants from former coach Mike Tice's staff.
Childress indicated Friday at his introductory news conference that he would meet with the team's current assistants when he returned from Philadelphia on Wednesday. But on Sunday he fired much of the staff by phone.

"I guess they just wanted to go in a different direction," Cottrell said Sunday night.

Other coaches known to have been let go were Wes Chandler (receivers), Dean Dalton (running backs), Mark Ellis (assistant strength and conditioning), Rich Olson (quarterbacks), Jim Panagos (assistant defensive line and special teams), Kevin Ross (assistant secondary), John Tice (tight ends, assistant offensive line) and Rusty Tillman (special teams).

Those given interviews with Childress, probably on Wednesday, were coverage coordinator Chuck Knox Jr., offensive assistant/assistant quarterbacks coach Randy Hanson, strength and conditioning coach Kurtis Shultz, offensive quality control coach Todd Downing and Sid Pillai, who is the Vikings' coaches support administrator.

The futures of Brian Baker (defensive line) and Pete Bercich (linebackers) were unclear.

Steve Loney, Vikings offensive coordinator-line coach, resigned Friday to take the offensive line job in Arizona.

Tomlin did not return calls from the Star Tribune, but he did tell the St. Petersburg Times on Saturday that he expected to receive official contact from the Vikings as early as Sunday. He also admitted that he had been earmarked for the Vikings' defensive coordinator position. Per NFL rules, Tomlin was off limits to other teams until the Bucs lost to Washington in an NFC wild-card game Saturday.

Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin told the Star Tribune on Sunday that Tomlin had already been offered the job.

Childress, reached at his home in Philadelphia on Sunday, refused to confirm or deny reports on Tomlin. "We have to go through a procedure if that's going to happen," he said. "I don't want to get into all of that."

Childress also wouldn't discuss any other prospective assistants, who include:

• Packers quarterbacks coach Darrell Bevell as the leading candidate for offensive coordinator. Bevell played quarterback at the University of Wisconsin when Childress was the offensive coordinator. Childress said Friday that he will call plays, so if Bevell gets the job, his responsibilities would be somewhat limited for a coordinator.

• Wisconsin offensive line coach Jim Hueber and former Lions offensive line coach Pat Morris as candidates for offensive line coach.

• Wisconsin special teams coach Brian Murphy in a similar role with the Vikings. Murphy could be in line for an assistant special teams coaching position.

• University of Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove as linebackers coach. Cosgrove, 50, supposedly is torn between staying in Nebraska and accepting his first NFL position, which could possibly double his current salary of $200,000. Cosgrove has coached college football for 26 seasons, the past two at Nebraska. He was defensive coordinator at the University of Wisconsin for nine seasons before going to Nebraska. He and Childress worked together on Barry Alvarez's Badgers staff.

• UCLA running backs coach Eric Bieniemy, a former Chargers running back, as running backs coach.

Eagles linebackers coach Steve Spagnuolo also has been mentioned as a candidate for defensive coordinator.

Childress said he hopes to have a staff in place by the end of the week.

Tomlin, in the last year of his contract, began coaching at Virginia Military Institute in 1995. After six more years in the college ranks at Memphis, Arkansas State and Cincinnati, he was hired by Bucs head coach Tony Dungy as defensive backs coach in 2001. Tampa Bay has ranked sixth or better in pass defense in Tomlin's five seasons, including first in 2002, when the Bucs won the Super Bowl, and 2004.

Working with Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, Tomlin has learned the finer points of the "Tampa 2" defense, one of the league's most respected and duplicated schemes. The system, if employed with the right personnel, eliminates big plays because the safeties split the field deep, linebackers patrol the middle and the pass rush is applied by the front four.

Dungy, who brought the defense to Tampa, still uses it in Indianapolis, where he's now head coach. Lovie Smith, the 2005 NFL Coach of the Year, uses it in Chicago. The Bears won the NFC North with an 11-5 record, finished second behind Tampa Bay in total defense and were first in scoring defense.

Tomlin also has experience on offense. He was a three-year starter at receiver for William & Mary (1992-94), and also coached receivers briefly at Arkansas State.

Man this sucks they fired Rusty Tillman. I really hope they keep Brian Baker. Any why did they let Mark Ellis go??

V-Unit
01-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I think Rusty Tillman was a solid coach but nothing special. I'm sure whoever Childress brings in will do just as good of a job.

I like Brian Baker, but I think we had enough talent on the line to have a double digit sack guy. It will be interesting to see whether he stays or not, and if he does leave whether the DLine next year is able to generate more pressure.

Tomlin is a great signing. It's a good thing the Bucs lost so we could get him in purple this quickly. Who's next for offensive coordinator?

AngloVike
01-09-2006, 10:22 AM
"V-Unit" wrote:

I think Rusty Tillman was a solid coach but nothing special. I'm sure whoever Childress brings in will do just as good of a job.

Tillman was originally meant to a special teams guru who was going to make ours the best in the league. Having said that it only seems to be this season that they have been anywhere half decent so overall he hasn't come up to expectations.
Will be interesting to see who we pick up now on those. If we do go towards a Tampa 2 then our DL is going to have to step up and generate more of a pass rush than we have seen form them. Makes me wonder how many of the existing DL will be kept especially as Childress has said about placing a lot of emphasis on them.

renovikesfan
01-09-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm just as jazzed as everyone else about the coaching changes so far at HC and DC.....but the fact we're FINALLY getting rid of Tillman is what makes me :banana:

Rusty Tillman = Richard Solomon

DeathtoDenny
01-09-2006, 10:53 AM
I ate a big red candle

mystykoekaki
01-09-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm loving it, fire more assistants Childress. Get those losers out of the organization so we can finally flourish with good coaching.

UTVikfan
01-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Nothing like rookies. We are gonna own with more rookies. New system on offense, new system on defense, new system on special teams.

Yah, rookies are known to really kick butt. Fire all of the old experienced ones. We can bring in people with NO nfl experience and they are gonna get it DONE!

It doesnt' just work with players you know. Last year we had what, 6 new people learning a new system on defense. It took til the last part of the season for the D to jell.

Now you have 11 people on offense, 11 people on defense, and 11 people on special teams learning new, and not necessarily good, systems, from inexperienced people. Man we are GONNA ROCK next year.

I wish I could TiVo next year, and just fast forward. Its gonna be ugly. I think long term, this could and should be great. Next year. we look like Detroit this year if we do well, GB if we do bad.

GB is rebuilding, and so are we. Not that we HAD to, but now we get to. Our future DC? People used to complain in threads that Ted didnt' know how to game plan. Ted has done that before, and effectively. These people? They literally don't know how. There is a difference. OC? Same story. Special teams...yah, same story.

I am hoping for an 8-8 season next year. I was all wound up to go to a game next year, no matter what. No way I do that now. And I am really thinking of cancelling my direct-TV. Do I really wanna watch this unfold? And pay to watch it unfold? We will see.

Year after next, now that is a different story.

Mr. Purple
01-09-2006, 01:43 PM
If we didnt do what we're doing now, then when would be the best time? Thats right, now, get it over with....there is no promise that we will go 8-8 or worse, there is no promise we'll reach the SuperBowl. But I do know that this team is putting crucial pieces together to get a Championship.It starts at your coach.

V4L
01-09-2006, 03:35 PM

If we didnt do what we're doing now, then when would be the best time? Thats right, now, get it over with....there is no promise that we will go 8-8 or worse, there is no promise we'll reach the SuperBowl. But I do know that this team is putting crucial pieces together to get a Championship.It starts at your coach.

Franchise only speaks da truth! :razz:

josdin00
01-09-2006, 07:25 PM
"magicci" wrote:

Bucs' Tomlin likely to replace fired Cottrell
[...]
Childress said he hopes to have a staff in place by the end of the week.

Well now, that line got buried in a rather long article.

That tells me two things. One, they want to move quickly to get the best available people, get the staff in place, and start preparing for FA and the draft. Good.

It also tells me that they're not going to seriously consider any candidates from the Colts, Patroits, Broncos, Steelers, Panthers, Bears, Redskins, or Seahawks. I can't really fault them too much for this, because of my first point. I just hope we don't overlook a good candidate out of haste.

Mr. Purple
01-09-2006, 07:32 PM
"Franchise only speaks da truth!"-VIkez4Lyfe

haha you know how I do!

Navycoach
01-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Hopefully we don't "brain fart" during the draft and miss our pick :lol:

DCPologirl
01-09-2006, 07:58 PM
The news keeps getting better and better

mnjamie
01-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Looks like the media masses are finally catching up with the news ... damn they are slow :

POSTED 10:23 a.m. EST, January 9, 2006
CHILDRESS DUMPS COTTRELL

In roughly a week, Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell has gone from being a candidate for the head coaching job to being unemployed.

According to The St. Paul Pioneer Press, new Vikings coach Brad Childress has fired Cottrell, along with several other assistants.

Tampa defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin is a leading candidate to replace Cottrell. Tomlin played college football with Vikings Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper at William & Mary. Tomlin was the Bucs defensive backs coach when the team won the Super Bowl after the 2002 season.

Tomlin most likely would bring with him the vaunted "Tampa 2" defense, an attack premised upon keeping the safeties deep and stopping the running game with the front seven. To be effective, the system needs a weakside linebacker who can get to the ball carrier and/or the quarterback, and a middle linebacker who can drop into coverage and take away the seam routes that otherwise open up in the heart of the field.

Although the Vikings arguably have the defensive line and the defensive backs to pull it off, much work will be needed to get their linebackers ready. Alternatively, the Vikes will need to focus on getting more (and better) 'backers via free agency and/or the draft.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

VikingsTw
01-10-2006, 03:18 AM
http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/local/story.aspx?content_id=6793665A-46B1-4A2A-8CE3-13A6BF6EF8C7

Tomlin to be named D-coordinator
Last Update: 1/9/2006 5:57:26 PM

Anthony Maggio
KFAN dot com

A day after sending most of the Vikings coaching staff packing, Brad Childress was on the verge of making his first hire on Monday night. The Wilf’s private jet flew to Tampa, Fla., on Monday afternoon to pick up Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin and arrived back in the Twin Cities just after 5 p.m.

Tomlin will likely be named Minnesota’s defensive coordinator on Tuesday.

“Pretty much we’re just going to make sure the terms are workable,” Tomlin’s agent Brian Levy said.

The 33-year-old coach has spent the last five seasons in Tampa in the same coaching position after coaching the defensive backs at the University of Cincinnati from 1999-2000. Tomlin spent a year as wide receivers coach and a season as defensive backs coach for Arkansas State before coaching the Bearcats, and also spent a season coaching at Virginia Military Institute and Memphis, respectively.

Levy said that the interest in Tomlin would begin picking up once head coaching decisions had been made around the league, but that the Vikings provided a good fit.

“Brad’s an offensive coach, so Mike would have some autonomy,” Levy said. “It’s certainly a nice match.”

Tomlin, a three-year starter at wide receiver for William & Mary, played his college ball with current Vikings safety Darren Sharper.

Minnesota Vice President of Public Affairs Lester Bagley did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Levy said he did not see a deal getting done Monday night, but with Tomlin in town the contract would likely be signed sometime on Tuesday.

Looks like a sealed deal to me.

VikingsTw
01-10-2006, 03:20 AM
By the way thats awesome that he played his college ball with sharper, at the same time its gotta be wierd to coach him.

midgensa
01-10-2006, 03:44 AM
"UTVikfan" wrote:

Nothing like rookies. We are gonna own with more rookies. New system on offense, new system on defense, new system on special teams.

Yah, rookies are known to really kick butt. Fire all of the old experienced ones. We can bring in people with NO nfl experience and they are gonna get it DONE!

It doesnt' just work with players you know. Last year we had what, 6 new people learning a new system on defense. It took til the last part of the season for the D to jell.

Now you have 11 people on offense, 11 people on defense, and 11 people on special teams learning new, and not necessarily good, systems, from inexperienced people. Man we are GONNA ROCK next year.

I wish I could TiVo next year, and just fast forward. Its gonna be ugly. I think long term, this could and should be great. Next year. we look like Detroit this year if we do well, GB if we do bad.

GB is rebuilding, and so are we. Not that we HAD to, but now we get to. Our future DC? People used to complain in threads that Ted didnt' know how to game plan. Ted has done that before, and effectively. These people? They literally don't know how. There is a difference. OC? Same story. Special teams...yah, same story.

I am hoping for an 8-8 season next year. I was all wound up to go to a game next year, no matter what. No way I do that now. And I am really thinking of cancelling my direct-TV. Do I really wanna watch this unfold? And pay to watch it unfold? We will see.

Saying Childress and Tomlin have no NFL experience is just wrong ... take your jaded opinions and shove them up your ...
It is ridiculous to say that teams don't do well with coaching makeovers ... teams have done very well in the past if they already had talent in place (take the Bucs in 2002). Coaches all get their starts somewhere and giving Childress a shot is better than a recycled coach like Fassel or Haslett. Quit your God damned whining. This team was filled with losing coaches from top to bottom ... an overhaul was needed ... no reason to go half assed. If you are letting the head guy go then go get new guys all around. Cotrell has been terrible, Loney was terrible and Tice was average at best ... what did you want? Keep them around and go 8-8 ... or 9-7 at best because that is the best Tice did in four years.
Calling the Tampa 2 and the West Coast offense "not neccesarily good" is f'ing moronic too considering both have been highly succesful over the last decade if not longer.
So take your 8-8 hope, your negative ass crap and cancel your f@cking Direct-TV all you want ... we don't need posers like you anyways.

singersp
01-10-2006, 04:10 AM
And back to the news!

From KFFL;

Vikings | Close to adding Tomlin as defensive coordinator
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:52:19 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings are closing in on adding Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin as their new defensive coordinator. Tomlin's agent, Brian Levy, said pending a meeting with team executives, Tomlin will be hired.

"I'm optimistic at this point that Mike will be the defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings," Levy said Monday, Jan. 9. Levy and the Vikings have had preliminary contract discussions, and new Vikings head coach Brad Childress flew to Tampa to pick up Tomlin.

Despite his age, 33, Tomlin is considered one of the hottest rising assistants in the NFL. Levy said other teams are interested in Tomlin as well.

magicci
01-10-2006, 04:16 AM
ok so far i know of 2 coaches to brand new teams that went to the superbowl with their new teams.
that is Jon Gruden and Bill Callahan

CynicalVike
01-10-2006, 04:33 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

"UTVikfan" wrote:

Saying Childress and Tomlin have no NFL experience is just wrong ... take your jaded opinions and shove them up your ...
It is ridiculous to say that teams don't do well with coaching makeovers ... teams have done very well in the past if they already had talent in place (take the Bucs in 2002). Coaches all get their starts somewhere and giving Childress a shot is better than a recycled coach like Fassel or Haslett. Quit your God damned whining. This team was filled with losing coaches from top to bottom ... an overhaul was needed ... no reason to go half assed. If you are letting the head guy go then go get new guys all around. Cotrell has been terrible, Loney was terrible and Tice was average at best ... what did you want? Keep them around and go 8-8 ... or 9-7 at best because that is the best Tice did in four years.
Calling the Tampa 2 and the West Coast offense "not neccesarily good" is f'ing moronic too considering both have been highly succesful over the last decade if not longer.
So take your 8-8 hope, your negative jiggly butt crap and cancel your f@cking Direct-TV all you want ... we don't need posers like you anyways.

That is out of line dude!! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and they have the right to voice it here. He may be a little more apprehensive than you are, and that is his right, as is speaking his mind freely. You owe the man an apology!!

I understand and somewhat share the same concern that UTVikefan voiced, and that is the learning curve we are going to experience with all the new systems. You have to expect it. Face it, regardless how optomistic we want to be, we are in a re-building program now! They may all be great schemes, but mental mistakes are bound to happen, which may or may not cost us points in a game. Lets all just keep our fingers crossed that everything goes well with this transition, but lets all be prepared for the possibility that we may have some mis-steps along the way.

VikesAllTheWay112642
01-10-2006, 04:46 AM
I like this move a lot. Mike is a great DB coach and will be a better DC. Tampas defense has been in the top five all the years he has been their coach. I just hope that he will make our defense a top 5 one to.

midgensa
01-10-2006, 04:46 AM
"CynicalVike" wrote:

"midgensa" wrote:

"UTVikfan" wrote:

So take your 8-8 hope, your negative jiggly butt crap and cancel your f@cking Direct-TV all you want ... we don't need posers like you anyways.

That is our of line dude!! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and they have the right to voice it here. He may be a little more apprehensive than you are, and that is his right, as is speaking his mind freely. You owe the man an apology!!

I understand and somewhat share the same concern that UTVikefan voiced, and that is the learning curve we are going to experience with all the new systems. You have to expect it. Face it, regardless how optomistic we want to be, we are in a re-building program now! They may all be great schemes, but mental mistakes are bound to happen, which may or may not cost us points in a game. Lets all just keep our fingers crossed that everything goes well with this transition, but lets all be prepared for the possibility that we may have some mis-steps along the way.

You can call it out of line all you want, but I don't care. He came in a pretty mellow thread and got extremely sarcastic ... and insinuated insults at any of us that are optimistic about everything that is going on ... without making any real points other than the defense did not gell this year, blah blah blah. I owe no f@cker an apology who comes in with that kind of crap and that level of sarcasm ... he should expect to upset people ... and frankly should expect to be told to shove it up his a$s.
I don't mind opinions different than my own, and handle them quite often on here because that is what it is all about ... but if you have is to offer sarcasm and saying stuff like "yeah we are gonna rock" to blatantly insult those that actually have that opinion then you do not deserve any bit of respect from anyone in here ... and definitely will not get it from me ... so no, he gets no apology, though if I did offend you in some way by being offended by him ... then I do apologize to you.

CynicalVike
01-10-2006, 05:00 AM
Don't worry about me. We have no issues.

midgensa
01-10-2006, 05:02 AM
"CynicalVike" wrote:

Don't worry about me. We have no issues.

Didn't think so ... sorry ... some people just ruffle my feathers and he ruffled :razz: all is good.

BBQ Platypus
01-10-2006, 05:26 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

I thought that the under tackle was the pass-rushing tackle and the nose tackle was the run-stuffing tackle. Me confused. :scratch:

mnjamie
01-10-2006, 05:44 AM
"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

I thought that the under tackle was the pass-rushing tackle and the nose tackle was the run-stuffing tackle. Me confused. :scratch:

Flip it ... Hovan is playing the under tackle right now ... he takes on the double teams ... ie: Phat Pat.

UTVikfan
01-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Midgensa, you do realize our new ( at least rumored) line coaches are outta college, right? They do have NO NFL experience. Others are on there way that have no experience doing what they do. Our HC had ZERO exp. as HC. Our DC has zero exp as DC. Our OC has zero exp. at OC.

The swearing and all? If if works for you, Midgensa, good. Personally if I am that wound up, I would never, never post. Your telling me a new staff all the way down is gonna own? Next season? You cite two cases of new ones working...how many of the staff were intact? With an average of 7 coaching changes a year...two is like saying you don't need a first round bye to make the bowl....it can happen, but only once in a blue moon. LOL, I love the offseason. Its all speculation. And you are only guessing too. Nothing to swear about IMO.

No apology needed from Midgensa, but thank you for trying to mellow him out Cynical. I do appreciate that.

mnjamie
01-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Anyone hear anything about a Press Conference yet on Tomlin ??? Just wonderin' ... I havn't seen anything yet ...... They should have the contract wrapped up by the end of the morning at the Latest.

Del Rio
01-10-2006, 05:06 PM
"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"PurpleManiac" wrote:

The under tackle is the guy who does all the work and gets none of the glory.

Basically long ago I tried to explain gap assignments and how some plays a defensive tackle is more responsible for a gap then actually making a play. Many reasons for this but the biggest is because it free's up the rest of your teammates.

No glory and the fans look at you like you aint doin shit when in fact you may be grading out at 100%.

That is an under tackle.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-10-2006, 05:41 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

Anyone hear anything about a Press Conference yet on Tomlin ??? Just wonderin' ... I havn't seen anything yet ...... They should have the contract wrapped up by the end of the morning at the Latest.

This just in off YahooSports:

Vikings To Land Tomlin

Viking Update Staff - Scout.com
January 10, 2006 at 8:53am ET
The Vikings are expected to announce today that Mike Tomlin has been named the team's new defensive coordinator.

In what has become a flurry of activity, the Vikings are expected to announce as early as this morning that Buccaneers assistant Mike Tomlin will be named as the team's defensive coordinator.

Tomlin, who arrived in the Twin Cities Monday, was close to signing a deal Monday night and, word out of Tampa Bay is that the Bucs have resigned themselves to the fact that Tomlin is gone from their staff.

Tomlin is expected to implement his variation of the Tampa-2 defense first brought to the league by former Vikings defensive coordinator Tony Dungy.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-10-2006, 09:45 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

2:30 CST today according to the St Paul Pioneer Press

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13593038.htm

ultravikingfan
01-10-2006, 10:57 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

The under tackle is the guy who does all the work and gets none of the glory.

Basically long ago I tried to explain gap assignments and how some plays a defensive tackle is more responsible for a gap then actually making a play. Many reasons for this but the biggest is because it free's up the rest of your teammates.

No glory and the fans look at you like you aint doin pooh when in fact you may be grading out at 100%.

That is an under tackle.

You were a tackle correct?

You were not doing pooh! :razz:

:lol:

mnjamie
01-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Damn it, I missed the damn press conference:

Vikings hire Tomlin as defensive coordinator
Kevin Seifert and Mark Craig

Last update: January 10, 2006 – 3:32 PM
Printer friendly E-mail this storyE-mail this story

The Vikings introduced on Tuesday former Tampa Bay defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin as the Vikings defensive coordinator.

Tomlin flew Monday afternoon to the Twin Cities aboard owner Zygi Wilf's private plane, according to Tomlin's agent, Brian Levy. Wilf, Childress and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski spoke with Tomlin on Monday night.

Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden appeared resigned to losing Tomlin and perhaps defensive assistant Joe Woods, who could follow Timlin to Minnesota as the Vikings' defensive backs coach.

"We have a number of [coaches] who have earned the attention they're getting," Gruden said.

Tomlin, 33, would hold significant authority in his first job as a coordinator. Childress' expertise is on offense, and Tomlin would be in charge of implementing the so-called "Tampa-2" defense first introduced to the Buccaneers by coach Tony Dungy.

Getting Tomlin signed appeared to be the Vikings' top order of business on the first working day since Childress was announced as head coach. Childress fired nine assistant coaches from former coach Mike Tice's staff over the weekend, and a handful of others -- including defensive backs coach Chuck Knox and strength coach Kurtis Shultz -- are scheduled for interviews later this week.

Two of Tice's assistants, defensive line coach Brian Baker and linebackers coach Pete Bercich, said Monday they had not heard from the Vikings since Childress' initial introduction to the staff Friday.

Childress also has expressed interest in Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove, probably to be their linebackers coach, but he had made no decision as of Monday. Other possibilities for Childress' staff include Green Bay assistant Darrell Bevell as the offensive coordinator, Virginia Tech quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers for a similar position, and a combination of Wisconsin assistant Jim Hueber and former Detroit Lions assistant Pat Morris to work with the offensive line.

Wisconsin special teams coach Brian Murphy also has been discussed.

Meanwhile, a UCLA spokesman said the Vikings have not contacted Bruins running backs coach Eric Bieniemy, another potential member of the staff.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/175188.html

Mr. Purple
01-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Its official...the Man is here! Cant wait to bring in some studs for this new defense!

cajunvike
01-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Good deal! Another piece of the puzzle in place!!!

VikingsTw
01-11-2006, 12:43 AM
If you go to startribune you can check out his interview on audio, i'm listening right now.

collegeguyjeff
01-11-2006, 01:17 AM
im glad we got this guy. funny thing is he was a receiver in college and he played with sharper and hes a well known defensive coach and he's only 33

singersp
01-11-2006, 03:54 AM
From MiamiHerald.com

Posted on Tue, Jan. 10, 2006

Vikings hire Tampa Bay assistant Tomlin

DAVE CAMPBELL
Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - New Minnesota coach Brad Childress made his first official hire Tuesday, choosing Tampa Bay defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin to be the Vikings' defensive coordinator.

The 33-year-old Tomlin spent the past five years with the Buccaneers. They led the NFL this season in fewest yards allowed, the second time that happened during Tomlin's tenure there. Tampa Bay also ranked first in the league in pass defense twice, in 2002 and 2004, and sent numerous players to the Pro Bowl.

The Bucs' success has been based on a tough, stingy scheme installed a decade ago by current Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffin, still the defensive coordinator there. Typically called the Tampa Cover 2, this defense relies on speedy linebackers and defensive ends, hard-hitting safeties and tight coverage from the cornerbacks.

Chicago uses it under coach Lovie Smith, who was once a Tampa Bay assistant under Dungy and Kiffin, and that's the team Minnesota must surpass to re-establish itself at the top of the NFC North hierarchy.

"What better way to beat that defense than to practice against it?" said Childress, the former Philadelphia offensive coordinator who faced the Bucs many times since the turn of the millennium.

The Vikes' new boss, who arrived last week to replace the fired Mike Tice, brushed off questions about Tomlin's age and short NFL resume. Childress proudly pointed out that Tomlin succeeded Herm Edwards, who left to become head coach of the New York Jets. Tomlin also has a Super Bowl ring, from the 2002 season.

"Anytime you replace somebody that is a good coach, people look at you just a little bit funny," Childress said. "You have to earn their respect, and I think he did that in a very short period of time.

Before joining Tampa Bay, Tomlin was an assistant in the college ranks - at Cincinnati, Arkansas State, Memphis and Virginia Military Institute. A wide receiver at William and Mary who was a teammate of Minnesota free safety Darren Sharper, Tomlin switched from coaching offense to defense after the 1997 season at Arkansas State.

"The Vikings got a future head coach and all-around great person," Tomlin's agent, Brian Levy, said in an e-mail.

Though both Childress and Tomlin declined to speculate on roster changes, the Vikings could look very different next season in both scheme and personnel.

Certainly, many of the contributors to their defensive turnaround in 2005 - like linebackers Sam Cowart and Keith Newman, both free agents to be - don't fit as well with the Tampa Cover 2 as they did with the system under coordinator Ted Cottrell - who was fired Sunday by Childress.

Tomlin vowed not to take the job with any preconceived notions about the current players.

"I know that they are a very talented crew," he said. "There are a bunch of young and exciting players, and I am not going to rush to prejudge any of them. I look forward to meeting them all.

"I think you go into a new situation with a mindset about what you want to do, but at the same time you do what the players are capable of doing. So they will shape each other out."

Precision is an important part of the Tampa Cover 2, and missed assignments have been a problem for Minnesota in recent seasons.

"It is a player-friendly scheme, but at the same time the expectation level is very high and the attention to detail is very high," Tomlin said.

snowinapril
01-11-2006, 04:11 AM
It seems to me that we had a group of speedy LBs before Cowart got here.

Smith
Henderson
Newman
Thomas

Napo?

Maybe these guys can do the job in the Cover 2.

The Bucs' success has been based on a tough, stingy scheme installed a decade ago by current Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffin, still the defensive coordinator there. Typically called the Tampa Cover 2, this defense relies on speedy linebackers and defensive ends, hard-hitting safeties and tight coverage from the cornerbacks.

Ted seemed like a step backwards with the personel we had.

DarrinNelsonguy
01-11-2006, 04:16 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

It seems to me that we had a group of speedy LBs before Cowart got here.

Smith
Henderson
Newman
Thomas

Napo?

Maybe these guys can do the job in the Cover 2.

Ted seemed like a step backwards with the personel we had.

They may have speed but they lack discipline on assignments and their angles of pursuit are very poor at times. Speed is great but they must also play disciplined football to be great.

cajunvike
01-11-2006, 04:20 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"The Vikings got a future head coach and all-around great person," Tomlin's agent, Brian Levy, said in an e-mail.

How's THAT for a totally unbiased opinion! :lol:

Guruzen
01-11-2006, 04:21 AM
That's an understatement... our LBs in 04 were a joke! They'd consistently hit the wrong holes when playing the run and were tree trunks in the passing game. These guys couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time!

Cottrell did a great job in adding Cowart to bring some stability and also developed these guys into being more patient and playing smart defense. Hopefully they can now use their speed wisely.

DarrinNelsonguy
01-11-2006, 04:22 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I don't mind great self-confidence and a little ego sounds like a winner to me. lol

cajunvike
01-11-2006, 04:22 AM
As long as we don't take a step backwards, they can put in any kind of defense they want...the only danger is that the defense now has to learn a totally new scheme this offseason...I sure hope that they are quick learners!!!

DarrinNelsonguy
01-11-2006, 04:23 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

As long as we don't take a step backwards, they can put in any kind of defense they want...the only danger is that the defense now has to learn a totally new scheme this offseason...I sure hope that they are quick learners!!!

I just want to see a defense that was as dominant as the one we had in the late 80's I do not care how we get there but lets get it done fast.

snowinapril
01-11-2006, 04:42 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Coach Tomlin sure is a young guy, here is his photo with Coach Childress.

http://vikingscmap.atomicplaypen.net/DAM_public/7200.jpg

VikingsTw
01-11-2006, 05:00 AM
Looks like a player and coach pic, nice find though. Childress must think highly of him.

jessejames09
01-11-2006, 05:11 AM
this might be posted already but i was watching the nfl network and it was sharper talking about how they played together in college. He also said tomlin was like a father to him when he was there.

PurplePeopleEaters
01-11-2006, 05:15 AM
He looks kind of like Sam Cowart. I like him.

muchluv4smoot
01-11-2006, 05:52 AM
I love the hiring and love the cover 2 as a scheme for this D, provided we add an agile, coverage MLB and a good sideline to sideline, pass rushing OLB. Those 2 pieces are essential to the cover 2 and also 2 spots that we currently don't have at LB. Our D-line is built perfect for the cover 2 though(the cover 2 being a D that relies on the front 7 and especially the D-line to stop the run and D-line to pressure the QB), especially if erasmus and udeze improve with experience. Our secondary also is built pretty well for the cover 2. Even chavous, who I hope we don't bring back, might be best suited for the cover 2.

muchluv4smoot
01-11-2006, 05:53 AM

He looks kind of like Sam Cowart. I like him.

I see Omar Epps.

MensaTice
01-11-2006, 06:00 AM
My first thought was we hired Robert Horry

Mr. Purple
01-11-2006, 06:05 AM
Haha he does look like Horry. We finally got someone in here who is d@mn good at what they do. Even if dont win the Bowl for years...I know we're on the right path.

PurplePeopleEaters
01-11-2006, 06:07 AM
http://www.wvah.com/programs/house/omarepps.jpg

Woah. He looks just like Omar Epps when he is in house.

gpless05
01-11-2006, 06:11 AM
ya this guy is lookin good. Im very happy with childress to start all over and work with everyone that he wants to, to make us a superbowl team!

MensaTice
01-11-2006, 06:14 AM
Big Shot Bob

audioghost
01-11-2006, 07:57 AM
My guess is that our D will be awesome....he is young and energetic....you might be looking at the next Vikes head coach....in the future I mean....I think his defense will be hardcore....however, I am mad at Childress's choice for O coordinator...the QB coach for the Packers? 36 year old? He never taught Favre cuz he was still in college when Favre was learning, and he never really developed a QB coach....I don't like it after last year...definetely didn't change Favre's ways last year.....I'm worried about him, he won't be as bad as Loney...but I'm worried.....Tomlin will be great tho!

gregair13
01-11-2006, 08:07 AM
our defensive was good for half a season. if we can get a full season out of them, which should happen with all the skill, watch out

collegeguyjeff
01-11-2006, 08:47 AM
"audioghost" wrote:

My guess is that our D will be awesome....he is young and energetic....you might be looking at the next Vikes head coach....in the future I mean....I think his defense will be hardcore....however, I am mad at Childress's choice for O coordinator...the QB coach for the Packers? 36 year old? He never taught Favre cuz he was still in college when Favre was learning, and he never really developed a QB coach....I don't like it after last year...definetely didn't change Favre's ways last year.....I'm worried about him, he won't be as bad as Loney...but I'm worried.....Tomlin will be great tho!

well yeah but the guy was a quarterback, who else knows plays better than a quarterback?

UTVikfan
01-11-2006, 08:49 AM
He can easily be as bad as Loney. Just make him in charge of the o-line and OC too. You would be calling for his head next year.

Mr. Purple
01-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Is it set that the Qb coach from GB is gonna be our OC? From what I understand thiers other coaches in the mix, from a couple colleges.

Prophet
01-11-2006, 02:47 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Team may hire Woods
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:36:46 -0800

Roy Cummings, of the Tampa Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings may hire Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive quality control coach Joe Woods. He would likely become defensive backs coach for the Vikings.

NodakPaul
01-11-2006, 08:49 PM
My two favorite quotes from the Childress - Tomlin press conference:

Childress - "[Tomlin]'s a guy that has coached in and won the Super Bowl. You can't put a premium on that. That's what everybody in this league is playing for, that ring. I don't have one on my finger, he does have one on his finger. There is something to that."

Tomlin - "I think there will probably be parts of [the defense] that are similar, the biggest part being that there are 11 people on the field."

Rastak
01-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Tomlin - "I think there will probably be parts of [the defense] that are similar, the biggest part being that there are 11 people on the field."

Wasn't that a Childress quote? Anyway, I took it as dry humor. Meaning there will be very little in common with last years defense other than 11 guys playing.

V4L
01-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Im very pleased with the pick up...

Who do yall think will be our OC?

DCPologirl
01-11-2006, 09:06 PM

rowrrrrrrrrrrrr :wink: Hey WBLVikingbabe....me likey LOL

NodakPaul
01-11-2006, 09:24 PM
"Rastak" wrote:

Wasn't that a Childress quote? Anyway, I took it as dry humor. Meaning there will be very little in common with last years defense other than 11 guys playing.
Whoops. You are right. That was Childress too. I love that guy!

And I hope he is right. The number of people on the field should be one of the very few things we have in common with last year's defense!

Navycoach
01-11-2006, 09:39 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Im very pleased with the pick up...

Who do yall think will be our OC?

What about Gary Kubiak (Denver) or Mike Heimerdinger (Jets and very underrated)?

V4L
01-11-2006, 09:41 PM
I think Kubiak is gonna get the job for the Texans..

I thinkn Mike Martz might acacept a job as a O.C and we should look into getting him

cajunvike
01-11-2006, 09:44 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

rowrrrrrrrrrrrr :wink: Hey WBLVikingbabe....me likey LOL

Down GIRL!!! :lol:

Navycoach
01-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I'd take Martz in a heartbeat but he has said he'd like to stay a Head Coach. Not sure how many teams want him as HC, but if he's on the market for awhile he'd probably consider coming back as an OC.

cajunvike
01-11-2006, 09:47 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I thinkn Mike Martz might acacept a job as a O.C and we should look into getting him

My friend who has Texans season tickets pretty much feels the same way...and that they haven't announced it yet because the Broncos are still in the playoffs.

I went to lunch with him today and he suggested that he and I could go to the Texans home opener to see Reggie Bush play next season (assuming that they do pick Bush...which he thinks is a certainty since he reported to me that the Texans just picked up Carr's option bonus for like $8 million or so). Imagine Davis as the primary back and Reggie all over the field (slot, out wide, split with Davis)...their offense will be sick if they can find some OL who can block!!!

ultravikingfan
01-11-2006, 10:17 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I do not think Martz is ready to step down to an OC just yet. He has had some success so far.

midgensa
01-11-2006, 10:32 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I have said it a couple times ... there is no way Mike Martz accepts an OC position under a first time coach like Childress. Exactly how in the heck would Childress give any orders to Martz? Martz orchestrated a Super Bowl winner, went to another Super Bowl, won 12 games another time, won a couple division crowns ... turned a grocer into a two-time MVP and a sixth-round reject into a pro bowl record-setter ... he is far to good and has for too much of an ego to be a coordinator to someone who has never been head coach before ... probably would not be a coordinator for anyone.

singersp
01-12-2006, 02:37 PM
NFL: VIKINGS: MIKE TOMLIN PRESS CONFERENCE

http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=135422&src=0

V4L
01-12-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm just saying that I think no one will really pick him up for a H.C job.. Who do you think will pick him up? every team that need a H.C is already looking at a few people and I haven't heard Martz's name yet..

I think he would jump down to O.C then and look for the team who NEEDS an O.C... I think so far we are the only team who doesn't have an O.C? I haven't heard many other people getting rid of thiers.. Kubiak will be gone so he might look at Denver.. Or even Minny.. If he doesn't get a H.C job..

That's just my thinking I could be totally wrong, I could be dead on.. Just a guess

singersp
01-12-2006, 04:03 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I'm just saying that I think no one will really pick him up for a H.C job.. Who do you think will pick him up? every team that need a H.C is already looking at a few people and I haven't heard Martz's name yet..

I think he would jump down to O.C then and look for the team who NEEDS an O.C... I think so far we are the only team who doesn't have an O.C? I haven't heard many other people getting rid of thiers.. Kubiak will be gone so he might look at Denver.. Or even Minny.. If he doesn't get a H.C job..

That's just my thinking I could be totally wrong, I could be dead on.. Just a guess

It's a moot point. Bevel is our new O.C.

MnFan_in_Canada
01-12-2006, 04:09 PM
When will the official announcement be made?

DaunteHOF
01-12-2006, 07:22 PM
cover 2, YEA MANN!!