PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper to start...but what i feard would happen...

magicci
01-07-2006, 07:29 PM
HAPPENED!!!

look down

Childress: Culpepper staying put as starting QB
Brad Childress makes a decision and makes sure his tenure with the Vikings won't begin with a dreaded quarterback controversy.
Mark Craig, Star Tribune
Last update: January 06, 2006 – 10:13 PM

Vikings coach Brad Childress nipped any quarterback controversy in the bud during his first day on the job.
"Daunte Culpepper right now is the franchise quarterback," Childress said Friday in the Vikings' Winter Park locker room. "That's how they signed him. He's the guy. We'll just leave it at that."

Culpepper is coming off his worst season. He threw 12 interceptions, six touchdown passes and went 2-5 as a starter before tearing three ligaments in his left knee during the seventh game of the season. Veteran Brad Johnson stepped in and went 7-2 as a starter. He threw 12 touchdown passes and only four interceptions in 294 passes.

Johnson, who signed a four-year deal before this season, indicated strongly that he wants to remain a starter in the NFL. Culpepper has limited his comments to the media since the injury, but head athletic trainer Chuck Barta said Culpepper is on pace to return in time for training camp.

Childress had not spoken to Culpepper or Johnson as of Friday afternoon.

It would appear that Johnson is more suited to direct the version of the West Coast offense that Childress will bring with him from Philadelphia. Childress will hire an offensive coordinator but will call his own plays, which is how Eagles head coach Andy Reid operates.

"Brad Johnson is a talented guy who won a lot of games this year," Childress said. "I'm familiar with him, and he knows this system. He knows the lingo I'm going to bring in here."

Childress, however, said he believes players shouldn't lose starting positions because of injury. It also doesn't make sense financially to bench Culpepper, one of the highest-paid players in the league. Culpepper also is due a $6 million bonus in March.

Childress said he believes Culpepper can succeed in the West Coast offense, which relies on short, precise passes rather than on the deep balls that landed Culpepper in three Pro Bowls.
Culpepper and Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb were drafted in the first round of the 1999 draft. McNabb went second overall and Culpepper 11th. Childress worked out both of them before the draft.

"We saw Daunte Culpepper work out first, and I thought I would never see another workout like that as long as I lived," Childress said. "The next workout was Donovan McNabb. And saw another one ... that was mind-boggling.

"In my mind, we got the No. 1 player, but Daunte was a very close second. He fits right into all the things that we'll do."

Childress was McNabb's quarterbacks coach for his first three seasons and has been credited with developing McNabb into one of the league's best quarterbacks. Many believe Culpepper regressed this season because he lost offensive coordinator-quarterbacks coach Scott Linehan, who left after last season to join the Dolphins.

"I've helped develop a franchise quarterback," Childress said. "And that development started from the draft, riding down from the draft with the playbook in the back of a limousine, getting him ready for the minicamp at the end of that week."

Culpepper won't be back in time for minicamps this year. But make no mistake about it. When he's healthy again, he will be, in the words of the new boss, "the guy."

i didnt want westcoast here.

magicci
01-07-2006, 07:33 PM
also i think this greatly slowed down troy's progress.

ItalianStallion
01-07-2006, 07:42 PM
I too am not to happy with the fact that we have to implement the west coast offense.

RK.
01-07-2006, 07:49 PM
It sounds to me like what I said before is true. If CP can't learn how to read defenses and develop a quick release he isn't going to stay here in MN. It sounds more to me like Childress is saying he is going to give him the chance to be the guy. :wink:

Ltrey33
01-07-2006, 07:50 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I too am not to happy with the fact that we have to implement the west coast offense.

I like it. All year we've all been complaining that Tice didn't run the same offense with Culpepper as he did with Brad, and that our old offense was far too vertical for our offensive line and recievers. We all clamored for shorter routes and more timing with Daunte so he wouldn't have to hold the ball as long. The west coast style offense is pretty much what we ran with Brad so this type of offense is exactly what we need, IMO.

arialassault84
01-07-2006, 07:51 PM
i think Pepp is too old to start learning a totally new offense. Maybe not too old but he has been in this offense for five almost 6 years, its gonna be hard to teach him the west coast offense. Coaches say it takes at least three years to get good in the WCO. I don't like it.

DaunteHOF
01-07-2006, 07:57 PM
NOOOOO!!!! We have receivers for the bomb plays!!

jaymz7
01-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Why is everyone so down on the west coast offense? Apparently the system we have used has not worked. If you have read some of the highlights on Childress you would see that going to the west coast offense might not be as bad as you might think.

This info is from vikings.com:

The Eagles offense under Childress was able to excel while adjusting to personnel transition and injuries. The team ranked in the NFL's top 10 in total offense twice in the past four seasons and has assembled numerous individual achievements. In the four seasons Childress guided the offense the team amassed 5,000+ yards each season, averaging 333.8 yards per game in that span. The Eagles can attribute much of their recent success to limiting turnovers. The 2003 Eagles led the NFC and set a team record with only 22 turnovers. The 2004 team matched that total and ranked 3rd in the NFC. The 44 turnovers in the two-season span ranked 3rd in the NFL. Despite starting three different players at quarterback, the 2002 Eagles set a team record with 415 points.

The Eagles offense since 2000 has featured seven players who have earned 14 berths in the Pro Bowl, highlighted by signal caller Donovan McNabb who has been honored with five berths in the all-star game. Joining McNabb in Hawaii over the past six seasons were TE Chad Lewis (three times), T Tra Thomas (twice), G Jermane Mayberry (once), T Jon Runyan (once), WR Terrell Owens (once) and RB Brian Westbrook (once).

Childress worked with McNabb since his rookie season in 1999 when he signed on as the Eagles QB coach. McNabb has emerged as one of the top QBs in the NFL during the past seven seasons and established an NFL record in 2004 as the first QB to throw for 30+ touchdowns and less than 10 interceptions. The Eagles offense set franchise records in several areas in the 2004 run to Super Bowl XXXIX, including team passer rating (96.4), completion percentage (61.4%) and gross passing yardage (4,208). In 2000 McNabb was runner-up in the Associated Press MVP voting, he has earned NFC/NFL Offensive Player of the Week honors eight times and has been recognized as NFC Offensive Player of the Month three times. McNabb has etched his name throughout the Philadelphia record book, claiming single-season marks in 2004 in passer rating (104.7), completion percentage (64.0%) and passing yards (3,875).

Mr. Purple
01-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Childress is one of the best if not the best at Developing QB's. I think the guy knows what hes doing more then us.In Fact I know he knows more then us. If Culpepper can just heal from this injury he will come back and strive in this offense. Culpepper is still young and can still adapt to a new offense.We're not tryin to teach Rich Gannon a new system....Daunte will return to true form. I'm glad Childress is set on him.

magicci
01-07-2006, 08:08 PM
I still dont like it. Culpepper has excelled in our offense. We still have the personnel for our vertical offense. And about the west coast offense thats what checkdowns are for.

T-Money
01-07-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm sure we will still get to see the long ball. There is no way they can completely take it out of our system, especially with Culpepper as quarterback. Philly threw long to TO a couple times every game.

ChezPizmo
01-07-2006, 08:11 PM
First off, I like how this guy means business, and means it hardcore.

But second, I don't think many of the players, if any, have ever been associated with the West Coast Offense. At first, I thought with this new coach we were already on our way to being better and build on what we had going, which was good.
But now it almost seems coach is going to have to teach the players a completely different system, and might be a set-back..
I don't know... just an impression I got.

happy camper
01-07-2006, 08:12 PM
wait a minute?

just because we run a west coast offense, that means we cant bomb it?

i would think in any offense, you can bomb it when the time is right.

PurplePeopleEaters
01-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Culpepper doesn't exactly have to learn. He used the west coast for his entire college career so he should at least know it a little bit. I think the WC here could be a disaster but it all depends on how well Culpepper reacts to the change.

Mr. Purple
01-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Ya exactly Happy Camper. When number 84 was here the long bomb was something we Viking fans loved. Exit 84. We dont really have the WR's to constantly bomb to. Granted most players go long and most catch it, but Moss was the reason we bomed it like we did. Moss was the reason Nate had sucha great year 2 seasons ago. Moss opened and stretched the field. Well we dont have that anymore, so I think installing a New offense that takes advantage of who we have is a good idea.

ChezPizmo
01-07-2006, 08:20 PM
I have a feeling of something new and exciting next year, and hopefully, something good.

ultravikingfan
01-07-2006, 09:27 PM
I am excited about this guy and his plans.

I remain very open-minded.

Its funny how people say "we all this type of offense".

What type were we just this past season? Crap?

So, our offense does not even have an identity; Childress will give it one.

Lotza
01-07-2006, 09:45 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I am excited about this guy and his plans.

I remain very open-minded.

Its funny how people say "we all this type of offense".

What type were we just this past season? Crap?

So, our offense does not even have an identity; Childress will give it one.Childress was a O.C so he will give this offense of ours an identity.

i agree with you

KJ
01-07-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm pretty sure Childress isn't a dummy. He's seen some Daunte long-balls. It won't be just a dink and dunk west coast system. There were also quotes from Childress in some article saying that he doesn't have a real strict offensive system and that he adapts to his personnel. And in his press conference he was asked about the west coast offense, and pretty much said that people use that term too much and it's going to be a little different or something to that effect.

DogPound
01-07-2006, 09:48 PM
I would like to make a statment about the "West Coast offense" There are different ways to run this type of offense which makes it easy to grasp for most players and also if used right can make your running game very deadly. I think we have the most talent over all ever seen in a west coast offense. We have alot of depth at wide out and franchise qb in Daunte ...we have a good third down back in MeMe and with the addition of a good everydown back we could possibly have the best "west coast offense" ever. So although I understand people not wanting that type of offense and I know why they dont want it. I say think for a minute about who we have and how well it would work.

Ltrey33
01-07-2006, 10:14 PM
"magicci" wrote:

I still dont like it. Culpepper has excelled in our offense. We still have the personnel for our vertical offense. And about the west coast offense thats what checkdowns are for.

Culpepper USED to excell in our offense back when we had a better offensive line and Randy Moss. He needs an offense where he can get the ball out of his hands quickly.

SamDawg84
01-07-2006, 10:15 PM
i wonder how we would do with the west coast offence. wat offence did we use before that?

ItalianStallion
01-07-2006, 10:18 PM
I think the west ocast offense fits receivers like Koren, Nate and Troy who have excellent RAC skills. However it is my opinion that Daunte is not really a quick learner, a will probably struggle with the new system.

ultravikingfan
01-07-2006, 11:32 PM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

i wonder how we would do with the west coast offence. wat offence did we use before that?

The turnover offense! :razz:

FuadFan
01-07-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm not worried about using the west coast for our players I just hope that Childress isn't as pass happy as his play calling Eagles coach Reid was this past year we do need to use a running game to help set up these passes.

Muggsy
01-08-2006, 12:21 AM
So, what zactly is da West Coast type of offense? I hoid about it, but, I dunno zactly what it is, y'know? Sounds like you do more short timing passes dan anyting else, or am I wrong on dis?

Anyways, any type dat woiks is ok wit me. We didn't seem ta woik too good last year, early on, y'know?

RK.
01-08-2006, 12:32 AM
"OldManVike" wrote:

So, what zactly is da West Coast type of offense? I hoid about it, but, I dunno zactly what it is, y'know? Sounds like you do more short timing passes dan anyting else, or am I wrong on dis?

Anyways, any type dat woiks is ok wit me. We didn't seem ta woik too good last year, early on, y'know?
Think about Joe Montana and the 49ers of old. :smile:

tampaviking
01-08-2006, 12:51 AM
maybe i am confused but the long ball did give us a 2-5 record, and the short ball got a 7-2. it seems like the eagles have had a killer offense for the past few years. i personnely would rather see a first down machine than a high light reel. the longer it takes to get a td the better right. boring but effective.

RK.
01-08-2006, 01:02 AM
The West Coast Offense (http://users2.ev1.net/~jamrtm/) :smile:

DEFINITION:
The term 'West Coast Offense' has a two-fold meaning:

1. it describes an ball control offensive system that uses the timed, short passing game AND
2. it also describes the entire offensive structure from play schematics, preparation, installation, implementation, game planning, execution, and attention to every detail of this offensive system.
The prime example of this definition is of course, the San Francisco 49ers. Bill Walsh the offensive and organizational mastermind meshed this two part definition together into the most proficient and prolific offense of the modern football era.
Bill Walsh has stated the following, The term 'West Coast Offense' "... is an umbrella term for precision-timed passing, variable formations, and the exploitation of each player's skills."

In 'Finding A Winning Edge', Coach Walsh has also said, " The 'West Coast Offense' still amounts to nothing more than the total attention to detail and an appreciation for every facet of offensive football and refinement of those things that are needed to provide an environment that allows people to perform at maximum levels of self-actualization."

Therefore, Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense is not just a split back, short pass throwing offense, it's much more....

SharperVikings
01-08-2006, 01:29 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Culpepper doesn't exactly have to learn. He used the west coast for his entire college career so he should at least know it a little bit. I think the WC here could be a disaster but it all depends on how well Culpepper reacts to the change.

Yeah really....dont worry about learning...he should already know the basics of it!

V4L
01-08-2006, 01:33 AM
Awesome idea..

1...2...3.. Out

Pep needs to work on that.. Chilldress is gonna make it work

magicci
01-08-2006, 02:08 AM
I think Marcus is good at RAC as well. maybe the west coast will work i just hope our offense doesnt take too much time to learn it. I think Nate is a GREAT reciever for this.

magicci
01-08-2006, 02:10 AM
"ltrey33" wrote:

"magicci" wrote:

Culpepper USED to excell in our offense back when we had a better offensive line and Randy Moss. He needs an offense where he can get the ball out of his hands quickly.
We will have a better O-Line next year, And Koren & Troy are there to help replace randy moss.

ItalianStallion
01-08-2006, 03:15 AM
"tampaviking" wrote:

maybe i am confused but the long ball did give us a 2-5 record, and the short ball got a 7-2. it seems like the eagles have had a killer offense for the past few years. i personnely would rather see a first down machine than a high light reel. the longer it takes to get a td the better right. boring but effective.

Actually Culpepper and a crappy defense led us to a 2-5 record, not the gameplan. We only won games under Brad Johnson because our defense and special teams decided to step up. There were many games under Brad where our offense was just AWFUL.

cajunvike
01-08-2006, 03:35 AM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

The "Coast-to-Coast" offense...Pep to Moss...cross-country!!! :grin:

cajunvike
01-08-2006, 03:36 AM
If Childress gets us a Super Bowl trophy, I don't care WHAT kind of offense he runs...and I don't doubt that he will give us a productive offense. My biggest worry is who he will bring in as Defensive Coordinator...I don't want us to regress on that side of the ball!!!

SWAYZE74
01-08-2006, 05:21 AM
if the Oline is fixed..the deep ball will be there...the WC offense will help whoever the QB is...faster passes = less time the Oline needs to block...cool with me...all i would like to see is W's...they could run the option for all i care if we win...^^...

peace...

grpape
01-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Exactly what cajunvike wrote. We should be more worried about the DC. If we can get someone (hell anyone), who can shore up the D and get some pressure on the QB, we can buy some time for the O to learn the new game plan.

NordicNed
01-08-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm not really sure how I feel, all I know is I have this certain kind of calmness that feels good...

I really think this team is heading in the right direction, sure there is going to be some changes and some new things to learn, but if Childress and the Office work together and Wilf spends the cash as he said he will, I think this team is going to go places. And thats good places, not bad.

I will welcome the west coast style offense, it will be new for us, but I think it can also be very good for us..

Our D is on the rise, and should be even stronger next season. Combine that with a ball control Offense and that should equal wins baby..

Daunte may have to change his style of play some, but I think he's smart enough to do this, and I think it will be good for him coming off his injury.....Most important thing is, we give him a solid line up front, which I believe will be one of the first things we see Childress work on.....Getting a solid O line..

With a solid O line, I think we will all see, our running backs for what they are and that is they are good.......

Our recievers are also solid, and don't think you won't see the long ball, maybe not as often but it will be there......Once those Safeties and CB's start cheating up for the short West Coast style thats when you can send a player like Troy or K Rob, fly down the side for a long one.....I'de almost bet my bottom dollar that will be seen....We might see less of them, but when we do, I think they will be high percentage type plays as far as completions go....And that meens TD's or Large Gains in Yardage..

Next year may be a learning year for all, I'm sure we will see a couple of nasty looking games. But when it all clicks, with the talent we already have and the talent I'm sure the'll bring in....We should for sure be a force to reckon with..

Man is this going to be a long off-season......But an interesting one for sure..

SKOL,
VikingNed

renovikesfan
01-10-2006, 11:41 AM
IIRC, one of the reasons Culpepper was 2nd only to Manning in '04 was because of a TON of "dinks and dunks", thereby leading to his awesome completion percentage.

And no, the WCO does NOT mean the long ball won't be thrown at all...it just means we'll see less of it than we did when Moss was here. On the flipside of that, I don't think a single person here can say they don't get electrified when a receiver is able to break tackles and turn the short 5 - 6 yard dump off/screen pass into a TD highlight on ESPN.

singersp
01-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I say "Bring on the Midwest Offense"!

Del Rio
01-10-2006, 01:19 PM
There seems to be a huge misconception about this guy and his supposed "west coast" offense.

We already run the same variation. There is a reason Wiggins led the team in receptions in 04. Our team took the step towards ball control.

You aren't going to see anything different about our plays, hopefully we execute them better with more precise timing but I guarantee you won't see anything that makes you say oh man why are we running this west coast offense.

This isn't 1998, move on.

stjmnsota
01-10-2006, 03:51 PM
WHat the heck is the matter with some of you? Just because the Vikes go west coast, doesn't mean the long ball goes away. You dink, you dunk and eventually a deep route opens up and bam! Robinson for a 70 yard TD play!

Truthfully, I am happy as heck that the west coast is here. I am tired of watching Daunte sit back and wait for the long ball. Defenses figured that out and put pressure on him and covered the deep receivers.

IMO the west coast offense will win the Vikes a championship one day. I am not a DC fan, but all of you supporters of Daunte talk about what a great season he had last year, how do you think he did that? By running an offense not much different than west coast that's how. He dinked, he dunked and he took what defenses gave him.

I welcome it with open arms. It is clear that DC is going to be the starter now, and I hope this coach gets him on track. Now that we know who the QB is, I will support him. But I still think the Vikes need to bring in a young guy to develop. AND NOT VINCE YOUNG.

tarkenton10
01-10-2006, 04:08 PM
I still want to trade Dc now. While people still think he is a great QB. Trade to NOor NYJ. We could have Leinhart or trade up and get Reggie. Johnson can do as good a job or better than DC. Especially now we are going to the WCO. Those throws are much easier and you don't need as strong an arm in that system. The throws are more timing and accuracy.

So let's get Reggie with the first round pick and our second pick should be a safety or LB.

Del Rio
01-10-2006, 04:11 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

I still want to trade Dc now. While people still think he is a great QB. Trade to NOor NYJ. We could have Leinhart or trade up and get Reggie. Johnson can do as good a job or better than DC. Especially now we are going to the WCO. Those throws are much easier and you don't need as strong an arm in that system. The throws are more timing and accuracy.

So let's get Reggie with the first round pick and our second pick should be a safety or LB.

While you have a point I think the new coach is in love with the "idea" of Culpepper so that isn't going to be happening at least this year.

stjmnsota
01-10-2006, 04:15 PM
I would love to see them Trade Daunte, too. So long as we get a fair trade. But it looks like Childress already declared Culpepper the starting QB. So all we can do now is support that decision. I just hope DC doesn't stink it up some more and they fail to bench him. But as Childress said, it doesn't make sense financially to bench Culpepper. So I guess let's pay him his 6 million bonus in March and pray.

Is there anyway that the 6 million doesn't have t be paid or is that a given even if they trade him?

MnFan_in_Canada
01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
"stjmnsota" wrote:

Is there anyway that the 6 million doesn't have t be paid or is that a given even if they trade him?
I am not 100% positive, but I believe if they rework his contract there may not be the 6 mil cap hit. But honestly, I don't see the Vikes reworking the Pep's contract, that usually means there are years added. Besides, if they did rework it, we would take a huge cap hit on the tail end of the new contract. I dont know about you, but I would rather take the hit now rather than later.

Wiggles67
01-10-2006, 04:52 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

So let's get Reggie with the first round pick and our second pick should be a safety or LB.I have to disagree with you here! I think the value of C-Pep is lower now than it has been in his entire career. He is coming off an injury that just a few years ago there is no coming back from!? It would be an absolute huge risk for anyone to take him for any draft pick right now and there is no way anyone would even listen to talks of a first round pick for DC.

As for this talk about the west coast offense taking away the deep ball, wasnt BC the guy that put together TO's amazing start to the year? In the 7 games that TO played this year he put up 10 catches of 20+ yard and 4 of 40+. For the entire season all of our WR's together to up 24 catches of 20+ and 8 of 40+. The WCO puts our receivers in a position to pick up more YAC which is what I think caters to the likes of Koren and Burly. I know that TO is a top 3 WR in the NFL but we have a very capable core group of WR's that combined should be putting up the same numbers as one player.

I think the WCO is going to be a great fit for the current players we have. As I am HOPING DC is taking this opporunity to do a gut check and realize what he is going to have to do. If I were him I would be watching film everyday, and trying to "learn" this new offense before I even step on the field. Its not like he really has anything better to do with his time.

DCPologirl
01-10-2006, 07:20 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I like it. All year we've all been complaining that Tice didn't run the same offense with Culpepper as he did with Brad, and that our old offense was far too vertical for our offensive line and recievers. We all clamored for shorter routes and more timing with Daunte so he wouldn't have to hold the ball as long. The west coast style offense is pretty much what we ran with Brad so this type of offense is exactly what we need, IMO.

I have to agree with you, I am extrememly excited to see what will happen this year with the new strategy. I am also relieved and excited to hear that Childress thinks DC is our guy. :hello1:

singersp
01-11-2006, 01:28 AM
"MnFan_in_Canada" wrote:

"stjmnsota" wrote:

I am not 100% positive, but I believe if they rework his contract there may not be the 6 mil cap hit. But honestly, I don't see the Vikes reworking the Pep's contract, that usually means there are years added. Besides, if they did rework it, we would take a huge cap hit on the tail end of the new contract. I dont know about you, but I would rather take the hit now rather than later.

He gets the $6 mil if he's on the roster in March. Zygi has already stated that he will pay it & DC will be on the roster.

Bleedspurple
01-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Who cares if we run the South African Offense or Brazilan Offense or West coast Offense. All I care about it does it produce wins?? Stats are for the birds. Win. win. win. Don't matter how you do it.

SamDawg84
01-11-2006, 02:35 AM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

bush said he is undicided on the draft, we should keep daunte unless we KNOW FOR SURE he cant play in our offence. i would like brad to start but he should be the back up to daunte

ultravikingfan
01-11-2006, 02:57 AM
"Bleedspurple" wrote:

Who cares if we run the South African Offense or Brazilan Offense or West coast Offense. All I care about it does it produce wins?? Stats are for the birds. Win. win. win. Don't matter how you do it.

Just not the Guatamalan offense.

midgensa
01-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Since when did people think we could even think about trading DC for a pick that would land Leinart or Bush? Jesus, some people on here smoke some damn good sh!t ... if Vikez is passing that around make sure to get me in the circle.
Trading Culpepper would not move us up in the draft at all honestly, not unless it was a package deal of some sort. D.C. will be fine in the WCO offense, which does have the ability to go vertical contrary to popular beleif (look at the Cardinals offense for example, which is based on the WCO ... or look at the Packers for the last 15 years ... they definitely have incorporated the deep ball). Bottom line is he won't be traded ... so you D.C. haters can get over it and hope for the best ... that is if you are Vikings lovers first and D.C. haters second.

hovan
01-11-2006, 03:00 AM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

NOOOOO!!!! We have receivers for the bomb plays!!

Ried called alot of Bombs to TO so hopefully Childress remembers TO torching secondaries before he was torching the franchise with poison. CULPEPPER TO WILLIAMS, ROBINSONS!!!!

midgensa
01-11-2006, 03:02 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

Childress is one of the best if not the best at Developing QB's. I think the guy knows what hes doing more then us.In Fact I know he knows more then us. If Culpepper can just heal from this injury he will come back and strive in this offense. Culpepper is still young and can still adapt to a new offense.We're not tryin to teach Rich Gannon a new system....Daunte will return to true form. I'm glad Childress is set on him.

Childress developed McNabb great ... right on with that. The only guy available better at developing QBs was Martz (who made Warner a 2-time MVP and sixth-rounder Bulger a pro bowl MVP). I think that Culpepper will develop great in the Eagles type of vertical WCO offense. I do recall quite a few deep balls the last few years to T.O. and this season to Reggie Brown after T.O. got booted ... with the right receivers, the WCO goes deep just fine ...
By the way ... Jerry Rice did not just run slant routes ... he was also a very vertical receiver ... D.C. will still have his deep ball.

midgensa
01-11-2006, 03:08 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

There seems to be a huge misconception about this guy and his supposed "west coast" offense.

We already run the same variation. There is a reason Wiggins led the team in receptions in 04. Our team took the step towards ball control.

You aren't going to see anything different about our plays, hopefully we execute them better with more precise timing but I guarantee you won't see anything that makes you say oh man why are we running this west coast offense.

This isn't 1998, move on.

I know ... we have been in an offense very similar to the WCO offense for a while. Besides, the Eagles WCO has been a little more vertical anyways ... the whole point of the WCO is to take advantage of your players abilities ... if there is a strong arm (McNabb and Favre) there is a little more vertical wiggle room ... if there is a precise are with quick release (Aikman, Montana, Young) then there are shorter more precise routes with RAC yards thrown in.

We should be just fine within this offense. Hell even the 98 offense has a lot of WC to it. Where do you think Denny Green came from?