PDA

View Full Version : Daunte Fan Poll

Prophet
01-07-2006, 10:09 AM
How would you classify yourself regarding Daunte Culpepper's abilities as the starting QB for the Vikings? Be honest.

There will be 100s of threads about Daunte this offseason and there are supporters and non-supporters among the ranks. Maybe we can see what the breakdown is based on this poll...then again, maybe not.

ChezPizmo
01-07-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm not ready to go all the way to elite QB (even though he easily could), but he is a great quaterback. But I have to admit, I was a bit shocked whenever I learned that DC was in the 'sex boat' charges.. just didn't seem characteristic of him.
I think he needs to prove himself over again to some of the fans that are a bit skeptical through out this season.
Plus.. whenever your injured and your BACK UP comes in and has as good a season and streak as Brad did and took that team from 2-5.. doesn't look good on your part, sadly.

Vikes
01-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Daunte is ok, inconsistent, but with potential.

He is diamond in the rough. I'm worried about this knee injury.

hailtocarter
01-07-2006, 11:26 AM
"Vikes" wrote:

Daunte is ok, inconsistent, but with potential.

He is diamond in the rough. I'm worried about this knee injury.

I'm with Vikes.

modena11
01-07-2006, 11:36 AM
elite qb in my eyes. you dont put up numbers like he did last year and not be considered an elite QB. regardless if it was just "one year".

he has all the tools of an elite QB. tall, strong, great arm, awesome accuracy, athletic and i still think his decision making will improve. once the talent around him(like o-line and consistent RB) improves, this wont be a question anymore.

but i completely understand why people vote the daunte is good w/ potential

TheAnimal93
01-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I didnt agree with the Vikes picking Daunte in 99. We could have had Kearse and Samari Rolle with the two first rounders we had then. He has been a world beater and a schlump. More bad than good if you ask me. But as it usually goes, as soon as he leaves his first team he will win, win, win.
So what do we do? Who can fill that void?
Is there another Tom Brady out there that we could snag?
What to do about Brad? I have more questions than ever.
I have always liked Brad so it will be tough for me to let him go again. He has a good head on his shoulders and that is what you need above the physical talent.
Daunte has proved that over and over. He has all the physical tools but has yet to mature. And would we have given this much leeway to anyone else given all the hype that came along with Pep?
I am still not sold on Daunte, but I am not ready to let him move on either. Damned if ya do, damned if ya dont.

scottishvike
01-07-2006, 03:20 PM
First things first, we don't know what he will be like when (or if) he comes back. If he comes back the same player is he elite? IMO nearly but not quite, one problem is the number of fumbles he loses the other question mark is how he plays without Moss. I realise that the O-Line and defence improved after he was hurt so maybe his game would have picked up after a bad start.

The main thing for me is he comes back healthy, and hopefully is able to keep the rushing threat that he has, and we give him a chance to show what he can do.

culpeppers_vikes
01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Dont start giving up on him when he is still injured!!!!!!!

culpeppers_vikes
01-07-2006, 05:03 PM
is darren sharper still going to be on the vikings next season?? i hope so!!

culpeppers_vikes
01-07-2006, 05:03 PM
they can take smoot though

Freya
01-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Elite.

His main problem is his mental game.

I hope that this time he has had to watch the Vikings without him has prompted him to think about this aspect and gain the resolve to improve.

ultravikingfan
01-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Elite. His record year in '04 was no fluke.

This thread could get ugly like the other 10 Pep threads. :???:

ColoradoVike
01-07-2006, 06:12 PM
"There will be 100s of threads about Daunte this offseason and there are supporters and non-supporters among the ranks. Maybe we can see what the breakdown is based on this poll...then again, maybe not."

If this is your goal, then I think you could do some work to improve the selections in the poll. I think the selections could be a bit more balanced; there's basically one favorable selection, one middle of the road selection, and three negative ones (furthermore, Apologist of what?). And as for the negative ones, you're attaching subjective opinion to a rank, which may actually influence people's decision to pick that option. Maybe relabel your selections to be:

on a scale of one to five, with five being the best, how would you rate DC as a QB?
5 elite QB
4 above average
3 middle of the road
2 a decent back-up, at best
1 a terrible QB

With this strategy, you have responses that can be fairly compared and you let people write in further subjective assessment of DC. Qualifying assessments attached to the rank-order responses are just a big no-no in the survey design community.

kramer9guy
01-07-2006, 06:13 PM
He has the ability to be an elite QB and has shown that at times over the years. But the simple fact is that he is inconsistent. And, as I said in another post, none of this will matter if he doesn't come off this injury very well.

I have always supported Daunte. Even when he had fumbelitis. I supported him when he seemed to have cured it and played his MVP style year in 2004 and I still supported him when he caught another bad case of the turn-over flu the first half of last season. No matter who is named our starting QB (Brad or Daunte), I will back them 100%.

FedjeViking
01-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I have liked Daunte from the beginning. I also liked Brad the first time we had him, and felt they were stupid to trade him. I have now changed my mind on that, the experence he brings now as a Superbowl winner is invaluable!

The one thing I find stupid is, that starters always play the whole game. I think it would be to the teams advantage for both QB's to alternate playing throughout the whole game. Especially when you have a good backup QB, as we have. Teamwork.

This is a physically demanding sport, the time to catch your breath, think, talk to your coach, talk to defense coordinater, etc, would be valuable. Teamwork.

It also would throw the defense off, not knowing what changes in offense is being made from change to change. Teamwork.

Result...Teamwork = Superbowl

Please explain why this would not be a good idea.

Gift
01-07-2006, 06:52 PM
"Daunte is ok, inconsistent, but with potential." sums up my view pretty well.

IL-Vike
01-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Elite.

Elite? An "elite" QB has his game together both physically and mentally. How can he be elite is his "main problem is his mental game?"

IL-Vike
01-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I think the selections could be a bit more balanced; there's basically one favorable selection, one middle of the road selection, and three negative ones (furthermore, Apologist of what?). And as for the negative ones, you're attaching subjective opinion to a rank, which may actually influence people's decision to pick that option. Maybe relabel your selections to be:

on a scale of one to five, with five being the best, how would you rate DC as a QB?
5 elite QB
4 above average
3 middle of the road
1 a terrible QB

I agree.

vIker44
01-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Some people believe one player makes the team.... it's rediculous.... The Vikings have had near the bottom defensive talent during Daunte's career thus far.... If he was not an elite QB how in the world could he have a year where only Peyton Manning beat him out numbers wise in 04???? Please explain that to me..... Thank goodness our new owner is steering this ship back on course.... Getting rid of Red and Tice is like giving new life to a franchise that has lived on the edge for years..... Super Bowl or bust baby.........

ChezPizmo
01-07-2006, 09:30 PM
"TheAnimal93" wrote:

I didnt agree with the Vikes picking Daunte in 99. We could have had Kearse and Samari Rolle with the two first rounders we had then. He has been a world beater and a schlump. More bad than good if you ask me. But as it usually goes, as soon as he leaves his first team he will win, win, win.
So what do we do? Who can fill that void?
Is there another Tom Brady out there that we could snag?
What to do about Brad? I have more questions than ever.
I have always liked Brad so it will be tough for me to let him go again. He has a good head on his shoulders and that is what you need above the physical talent.
Daunte has proved that over and over. He has all the physical tools but has yet to mature. And would we have given this much leeway to anyone else given all the hype that came along with Pep?
I am still not sold on Daunte, but I am not ready to let him move on either. Damned if ya do, damned if ya dont.

Very good points.

DemonicViking
01-07-2006, 09:38 PM
As I said ( maybe ten times.. who knows I must have lost count) I'm not ready to give up on him yet. He has the physical tools (as I noticed the animal just mentioned as well) but he needs to work on his composure a little. Maybe with this coaching change that could help improve his mental game in some way.

Prophet
01-08-2006, 12:59 AM
"ColoradoVike" wrote:

"There will be 100s of threads about Daunte this offseason and there are supporters and non-supporters among the ranks. Maybe we can see what the breakdown is based on this poll...then again, maybe not."

If this is your goal, then I think you could do some work to improve the selections in the poll. I think the selections could be a bit more balanced; there's basically one favorable selection, one middle of the road selection, and three negative ones (furthermore, Apologist of what?). And as for the negative ones, you're attaching subjective opinion to a rank, which may actually influence people's decision to pick that option. Maybe relabel your selections to be:

5 elite QB
4 above average
3 middle of the road
1 a terrible QB

With this strategy, you have responses that can be fairly compared and you let people write in further subjective assessment of DC. Qualifying assessments attached to the rank-order responses are just a big no-no in the survey design community.

lol, great points and I couldn't agree more. I was kicked out of the survey design community years ago and tossed into the field research community.

Jkurtkrauss
01-08-2006, 03:02 AM
DC............

You have to take the good with the bad. Without a top notch offensive line, he sucks, period. He spazes out when pressured, which ends in INT or fumbles.

Give him time to throw, he's wonderful.

I like Brad. I'll take 175 yds passing with no INT's or fumbles every week, but we gotta have a running game to complement.

magicci
01-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Elite. I'm hoping this was just a down year.

SharperVikings
01-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Hey guess what daunte fans...I got some news....

) Wilf said medical reports on Culpepper are that his surgically repaired right knee is healing faster than expected.

Here is the proof:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/13575207.htm

Its in the middle of that page

magicci
01-09-2006, 05:21 AM
thats some great news on daunte. and that thing on pat being all-pro just raises the suspicion on him not going to the pro-bowl.

MrGopher16
01-09-2006, 05:25 AM
I would say daunte can be an elite QB if we get our o-line problems fixed. And by can i almost want to say WILL but i don't want it thrown back in my face. I'm not surprised to hear he's healing faster than expected, vikes want us to get our hopes up, and with everything they've been doing it's worked like a charm!

hovan
01-09-2006, 05:26 AM
The stone throwers are growing

Potus2028
01-09-2006, 05:28 AM
i like DC...
he just needed to re-adjust to seeing different coverages ya know..

he'll be fine next year, especially with new of his knee healing faster

nephilimstorm
01-09-2006, 05:30 AM
With Daunte racking the numbers he did last year...i have to say an elite...but like some say...can he take it to the next level

SmootCriminal
01-09-2006, 05:32 AM
"Jkurtkrauss" wrote:

DC............

You have to take the good with the bad. Without a top notch offensive line, he sucks, period. He spazes out when pressured, which ends in INT or fumbles.

I like Brad. I'll take 175 yds passing with no INT's or fumbles every week, but we gotta have a running game to complement.

is it even possible to have a running game if you cant pass for 200 yards, how long will it be before they stack the line of scrimmage?

UTVikfan
01-09-2006, 12:04 PM
They always send inferior QB's and their apologists to the pro-bowl right? Thats why Dante has been a few times? Or is it his line dancing?

Its not like he is Ferrotte, Griese, for the love of ummm goodness Boller? Yah, he snuck in those pro-bowls. Seems to me Vikes fans can't see a good thing right infront of their own eyes. There rest of the league is not so easily fooled.

stjmnsota
01-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Duante has been in the league long enough with enough talent around him to be much further than he is now. I have always thought DC is a talented and very athletic QB. But his inconsistencies and inability to read defenses as well as his tendency to hold the ball too long or move out of the pocket either too soon or too late, make him subpar.

Do I think he has potential? Yes, but how many more years will we be saying that? Will he be like Gannon, or Johnson, or those other QBs who play great ball late in their careers? I highly doubt it.

I think Duante needs to move on to another team if he wants to develop. He has been too comfortable in MN. No one has pushed him nor have the coaches shook him up. Often times great QBs don't develop until they have played on a couple of different teams.

However, in new light of the coaching staff changes and ownership change last year. IT really sounds like the Vikes will see some major changes. Almost like a new team? Kick me for saying this as it goes against how I have felt about DC. One more year with a "new team". See where I am going with this?

I say if someone steps up for a trade with DC and it is fair, the Vikes should take it. But if one more year under this "new team" may bring him around, then great.

Why not draft a QB anyway. Someone that will challenge DC. And coaches that will bench him when he is stinking up the field. And consider the bonus DC gets next year. That could buy alot of talent!

I don't cry if he goes, and not sure how I feel if he stays, but if O Smith gets another shot, why not DC. ONLYONE MORE YEAR TO PROVE HIMSELF THOUGH.

Del Rio
01-09-2006, 05:35 PM
I think he is far from elite.

I am unsure if he will ever be the same let alone get any better after the injury.

I also think the coaching staff was more of a liability to him then an aid and am excited to see what he can do under a quality crew.

stjmnsota
01-09-2006, 05:43 PM
"SmootCriminal" wrote:

"Jkurtkrauss" wrote:

DC............

is it even possible to have a running game if you cant pass for 200 yards, how long will it be before they stack the line of scrimmage?

I agree that I will take the -200 yard passing game with no turnovers or fumbles. I believe that was the biggest difference in winning with Brad and losing with Daunte. And the biggest reason the Defense came around due to field postion and less time on the field.

NordicNed
01-09-2006, 05:44 PM
With the right Coaches and Team mates surronding him, I think Daunte could be one of the elite QB's in the NFL..

We have all seen him at his best and at his worst........

But when he is at his best, he sure is a site to behold...

I'm hoping he can overcome his tragic injury, and be a solid and consistent player next year..

Only time can and will tell, but yes, I think there is a very good chance he will be an elite player for our team and the league......

FedjeViking
01-09-2006, 05:47 PM
"stjmnsota" wrote:

Why not draft a QB anyway. Someone that will challenge DC. And coaches that will bench him when he is stinking up the field. And consider the bonus DC gets next year. That could buy alot of talent!

I don't cry if he goes, and not sure how I feel if he stays, but if O Smith gets another shot, why not DC. ONLYONE MORE YEAR TO PROVE HIMSELF THOUGH.

I agree on this line of thought. Hill needs to go, I could do a kneel down! DC needs one more year to prove he can adjust to the new O plays.

But I believe that they should play all QB's throughout the game, giving each a time to catch their breath, talk to the coach on plays, and make adjustments in offense. This would also keep the other team on their toes, not knowing what to expect. Also keep all OB's in playing condition to take over in case of an injury.

Prophet
01-09-2006, 05:47 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

...Only time can and will tell, but yes, I think there is a very good chance he will be an elite player for our team and the league......

I agree with that now that there are real coaches being put in place. He, among many others on the team, shoud be able to excel with an HC that will be considering the strengths of all the players and is also committed to game preparation. The outlook looks good.

DCPologirl
01-09-2006, 08:14 PM
"Freya" wrote:

Elite.

I hope that this time he has had to watch the Vikings without him has prompted him to think about this aspect and gain the resolve to improve.

That is exactly what I am hoping for and I think that it's very possible with our new coach

gregair13
01-09-2006, 08:18 PM
daunte owns. he is my favorite player and i support hope and he damn better be abck next year

bfld
01-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Assuming he heals fully, he is elite from the neck down. Overall, he's great, but inconsistent.

tke0933
01-09-2006, 09:22 PM
He has the potential to be an elite QB in this league. His mental maturation has to come around though. With improvement in reading coverages and taking what the defense gives you, he can take his game to the next level.