PDA

View Full Version : Great Offseason for the Vikes...What's still Lacking?

bigdogbovy
05-19-2004, 12:31 PM
I really like what the vikes have done this offseason.

Secondary: upgraded

D Line : upgraded

Offense: didn't need upgrade, but was upgraded at WR, Depth for RB and O-Line

last question mark?

Can EJ, Natiel, Thomas, claiborne, keep the run contained?

this is my only real concern.

What are your concerns?

Big C
05-19-2004, 12:50 PM
My biggest worry is the depth at LB. I remember reading somewhere that we have a thin LB roster BEFORE Biekert resigned and Crockett was released. I guess we have Raonald Smith but that dude is always injured so it's not even part of the equation.

Also don't forget that we added a deep threat at TE.

ItalianStallion
05-19-2004, 01:06 PM
For me depth on Defense, especially LB and CB is the biggest concern.

muchluv4smoot
05-19-2004, 01:12 PM
"Big C" wrote:

My biggest worry is the depth at LB. I remember reading somewhere that we have a thin LB roster BEFORE Biekert resigned and Crockett was released. I guess we have Raonald Smith but that dude is always injured so it's not even part of the equation.

Also don't forget that we added a deep threat at TE.

I gotta think we must be planning on ading a LB after the june 1st cuts. We need a veteran to teach the young guys, and back them up.

I would like to see us get a veteran CB as well. We are an injury away from having depth problems at CB.

I think we are all right at every other position.

O-line-great
QB- great
RB- great
WR-great
TE-good, I am not as high on wiggins as some people are. he doesn't seem like he is gonna be that much of a deep threat, that we need at TE. Hopefully I'm wrong.

D-Line-Great, before the draft, the d-line was average, but we got a star in udeze and another talented guy who can play both DT and DE, in scott.

LB-good, we are very young and not very deep at LB. I think EJ, nattiel and Thomas all have a ton of talent, but will their inexperience hurt us?

CB-great, but an injury away from being average. If we loose winfield or brian williams to injury, we might be in big trouble

safety-great, russell and chavous are both coming of there first year of starting at SS and FS, so they should improve. I think offord is slowing getting better and better, and is a good backup. Tyrone carter is an average backup, I am not a big fan of his after watching him suck when he was first here.

Special teams is still a concern. We did fix our punting situation, which helps a lot. There is a question mark at field goal kicking, with elling. I personally think he is gonna get better, but he is still young, and you never know. Kick coverage has been shakey for us for a while now. Hopefully we do better there this year too. We got a good return man in the draft, in mewelde, so we are improved in that area.

Last year at this time, we had many many more questions on our team, so we seemed to be much better. Now lets translate that into better play on the field.

johnnyb22
05-19-2004, 01:28 PM
My biggest concern is run defense. We got hammered by the Raiders, Chargers, and Cardinals. Heck, Flutie ran all over us. I hope they tighten up the run D or we will have a long season. Hopefully our O will win some games for us.

bigdogbovy
05-19-2004, 01:41 PM
I honestly think that cotrell will be a great addition to the D. bu tI see him doing very well here and taking a head coach job in the next few years. It's tough to keep a good coach these days

johnnyb22
05-19-2004, 01:45 PM
My biggest concern is run defense. We got hammered by the Raiders, Chargers, and Cardinals. Heck, Flutie ran all over us. I hope they tighten up the run D or we will have a long season. Hopefully our O will win some games for us.

Mossville
05-19-2004, 01:46 PM
the biggest question for me is at LB. We have only 1 proven LB. EJ and Thomas have potential but untill they prove it on the field, potential means nothing. I like the left side of our Oline but the right side has question marks. Dixon is getting old and rosenthal is decent. The rest looks good but looks can be deceiving. Looking forward to seeing how this defense can gell under Cotrell!!!

eelpout72
05-19-2004, 01:55 PM
I think that the biggest thing that is lacking now is experience on defense. We could potentially have like 3 or so rookie starters (Udeze, Scott (if Mixon is out on suspension) & Dontarrius Thomas. On top of that E. J. and Raonall Smith have limited experience playing first team ball.

JimFlyinsaucer
05-19-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm actually a little worried about the O-line. Dixon ain't getting any younger and Rosenthal didn't impress me much. I'd say the left side is fine, but the right is cause for concern

vikeroo
05-19-2004, 03:10 PM
How are we gauging this? LB'er is short experience, but man the Vikes probably have more raw talent there then they have had in 10 to 15 years...

OL depth is pretty thin at Tackle positions...

A speed TE would be nice...

I would like a better kicker, but Elling may improve in year 2...

Return game needs a big boost...

CB depth is fine IMHO at least through the first 4... 1 injury would not hurt that much, but 2 injuries would...

purplepat
05-19-2004, 03:13 PM
I think there are tons of question marks. On paper, it's easy to look at the Vikes through purple colored glasses and see improvements everywhere. But until they take the field when the games count, we won't know how well the new young players will play. We should have more speed at LB than we had overall last year, but will young players make more mistakes than vets like Biekert and Crockett? Will Elling's consistency improve, and will Tice not be afraid to use him? Will Hovan look like the Hovan of 2002 or 2003?

With the possible exception of Elling (and at this point, we might as well give him another season), I think the Vikings addressed all of their needs on paper at least. Now it's time to see if these guys can live up to the pedestal we've placed them on.

SKOL
05-19-2004, 03:16 PM
"bigdogbovy" wrote:

I honestly think that cotrell will be a great addition to the D. bu tI see him doing very well here and taking a head coach job in the next few years. It's tough to keep a good coach these days

I know Cottrell is highly thought of, but does anyone know why he was available? Just curious.

DoyleRulz84
05-19-2004, 03:55 PM
i think the o-line will be good enough for this year. But I think we will have to use our first pick on an o-linemen next year.

The one thing im concerned about is randy's feet we need him at 100%

DiehardVikesFan
05-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Jason Gildon will likely be cut.

JimFlyinsaucer
05-19-2004, 08:25 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

I know Cottrell is highly thought of, but does anyone know why he was available? Just curious.

My impression was that he was a scapegoat for a Jets team that got off to a bad start without Chad Pennington.

dan3ski
05-19-2004, 09:43 PM
I think the depth at o-line is not very good. The Vikings did draft an o-lineman this year but perhaps a good back-up will be available on June 1st.

LAVike
05-20-2004, 02:19 AM
I hope Cottrell does the trick on D. I'm sure he will. But I just hope he sticks with the team for a while so he can groom the players (especially since he had so much influence selecting the D). It would be nice for the players to learn 1 system and get better at it year after year.

eelpout72
05-20-2004, 08:09 PM
"JimFlyinsaucer" wrote:

"SKOL" wrote:

My impression was that he was a scapegoat for a Jets team that got off to a bad start without Chad Pennington.

I live in NY so i heard a little about Cottrell on ESPN sports radio here. I usually tuned out when they talked about the Jets though so i dont recollect all that much. However i do seem to recall that there was a "difference in philosophy" between Cottrell and Herman Edwards. I have no idea what this really meant but I also do not remember anybody being too upset that he left NY. Again, i must admit that i didnt pay much attention to this at the time though.

arizonacardinals
05-20-2004, 09:36 PM
ur lacking a superbowl win and beating us

vikings_fan66
05-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Im most worried about the lb depth

amavikesfan
05-20-2004, 11:18 PM
i'm most worried about arizona's edumicational system... :drunken:

as for the vikings, we're counting on a lot of young guys to step up. udeze, thomas,natiel, scott to name a few. that worries me. plus special teams killed us last year.

jackal
05-20-2004, 11:20 PM
I loved the vikings free agent pick ups so far as well Winfield from buffalo is a great hitter and aggresive defensive player Ukeze should make an immediate impact on the rush I just hope we can stop the run and daunte can not turn over so much