PDA

View Full Version : Teddy Cottrell

VikingsExpress
01-06-2006, 02:18 AM
One of the worst candidates for the job. This guy can barely manage a defense let alone a whole team. How about getting a coach from a winning team, perhaps one of those teams in the playoffs. Maybe even somebody with a little head coaching experience. As long as they don't come from within the organization and there last name isn't capers i will be happy.

cc21
01-06-2006, 02:20 AM
We just got Childress. Teds not getting the job.

vikes4lyfe
01-06-2006, 02:21 AM
yep we got Childress screw TED

COJOMAY
01-06-2006, 02:21 AM
BYE BYE TEDDY!

Potus2028
01-06-2006, 02:22 AM
you think he'll stay DC?

i dont really want him to..

cajunvike
01-06-2006, 02:41 AM
I wonder which other team's defensive players he is going to totally confuse with his overly complex schemes that don't work next season???

Maybe the Packers will hire him as their Head Coach...LOL!!!

vikes09
01-06-2006, 02:41 AM
the defense started playing better towards the end of the year, and i dont really want our defense to learn a new system. they played great last year, so hopefully childress can get the offense into shape. *no racism in next comment* but arent teams supposed to interview an african american, and is teddy the guy? *

cajunvike
01-06-2006, 02:50 AM
"vikes09" wrote:

the defense started playing better towards the end of the year, and i dont really want our defense to learn a new system. they played great last year, so hopefully childress can get the offense into shape. *no racism in next comment* but arent teams supposed to interview an african american, and is teddy the guy? *

Supposedly, the Vikes ALSO interviewed the guy from the Colts, who is also black...but it sounds like the interviews were legit, not just done to comply with the rule.

Besides, it would be pure stupidity to NOT interview the best candidates, regardless of race...look at what Marvin Lewis, Romeo Crennel and Tony Dungy have done with their opportunities...any team who can't look past race doesn't deserve to get coaches with the abilities of these three...and the majority of the rest of the league is probably kicking themselves for not hiring them for their team...I know that I would LOVE to have them as OUR Head Coach right now...no offense to Childress!

zimtwister
01-06-2006, 02:57 AM
when we got ted everbody was like---wow! were gonna have a top 5 defense!

sleepagent
01-06-2006, 03:05 AM
Ted's job wasn't done. one season isn't enough.

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
01-06-2006, 03:24 AM
I do not want to lose Ted. We just bring in his players last year, now Ted's gone. His D started playing very well too.

skum
01-06-2006, 03:46 AM
Excatly.. we played very well during the 6 game streak, AND against the Steelers.. defensive wise..

VKG4LFE
01-06-2006, 03:49 AM
"sleepagent" wrote:

Ted's job wasn't done. one season isn't enough.

Last year was actually his second year as DC for us, but that wasn't enough either. I personally would like to give him one more year. New coordinators every year doesn't help continuity!

ajefx
01-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Good Riddance!

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Ted!

What an awful d-coordinator.

Vikes
01-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Thank GOD!!! Teddy Sucks...the 'D' started playing well because Tice made it simple!

If Ziggy wanted to impress me he would dump Teddy as well.

I would rather have George O'Leary back.

That was Tice's D coach! BTW I know he coaching in FL thanks!

mnjamie
01-06-2006, 06:59 AM
He never blitzed until we were behind in the game, even then it was limited.

He had corners (two good one's by the way) always play at least 10 yrds off the ball and never allowed them to press the other teams WR's.

Never allowed safety help over the top when the other team had a "stud" WR (see chad johnson and steve smith).

LB's never got back to cover the middle "D" side of the ball on obvious passing downs.

In my mind, with the talent this defense has and all the money paid out against the cap for these players .... you don't go out and call schemes to limit their abilities .... Thats just IMO though, i'm just a fan who knows nothing.

whiteboy
01-06-2006, 07:06 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

He had corners (two good one's by the way) always play at least 10 yrds off the ball and never allowed them to press the other teams WR's.

Never allowed safety help over the top when the other team had a "stud" WR (see chad johnson and steve smith).

LB's never got back to cover the middle "D" side of the ball on obvious passing downs.

In my mind, with the talent this defense has and all the money paid out against the cap for these players .... you don't go out and call schemes to limit their abilities .... Thats just IMO though, i'm just a fan who knows nothing.

you're right on mnjamie. teddy is straight doo doo. he first half of the season our defense was horrible and in the baltimore game, i don't know what in the hell cotrell was smoking during that game. someone must of got him an 8ball and a new pipe. someone else said that it was tice that simplified the defense for the players, i agree with that. there is way too much talent on our defense for us to rank where we did in defense last season. i hope that childress will find someone else to take his place. i'll miss him jus about as much as i miss havin the sh!ts....

cajunvike
01-06-2006, 07:47 AM
So long, Teddy!!! And take your son with you too!!!!

Muggsy
01-06-2006, 07:53 AM
I dunno if Wilf will keep Ted, but, he looks like da kind of owner dat wants ta put his own signature on da team, y'know? Which, is ok by me. Get da stank of Red outta da organization!

I tink Wilf will make a clean slate, bring in his own boys, make his own mob, people he wants. Dat's what I do when I take over some other mugs territory.

I mean.... uh.... dat's what I would do. Since I been locked up, I've gone strictly legit, y'know?

So, if he does dump Ted, who do youse mugs think he'll bring in?

Prophet
01-06-2006, 12:38 PM
"OldManVike" wrote:

...So, if he does dump Ted, who do youse mugs think he'll bring in?

Not sure. Saw this on KFFL though:

KFFL
Vikings | Childress already lining up coaching staff
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:39:14 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports probable new Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress is already lining up some assistant coaches. A league source said Childress has already targeted his defensive coordinator; Eagles' linebackers coach Steve Spagnuolo. Another possibility is Eagles' secondary coach Sean McDermott.

==============================================

Steve Spagnuolo
Link (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/coachbio.jsp?id=652)
Position: Linebackers Coach
Years With Eagles: 7

Steve Spagnuolo is in his second season as the club's linebackers coach.
During his first season in that role, Spagnuolo (pronounced SPAG-no-low) oversaw the remarkable story of Jeremiah Trotter, who, despite starting just nine games at middle linebacker after re-signing with the Eagles in July, earned a Pro Bowl berth in his return to Philadelphia. Trotter solidified the run defense with 80 tackles, including a team-leading 10 behind the line of scrimmage.

Spagnuolo originally joined the Eagles coaching staff in 1999 as a defensive assistant/quality control coach working specifically with the team's safeties.

Two years later, he was promoted to defensive backs coach, where he spent three seasons tutoring the likes of Pro Bowlers Brian Dawkins, Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent, and Michael Lewis. In those three seasons, the Eagles pass defense ranked in the NFL's top 10 in three telling statistical categories: 3rd down defense, touchdown passes allowed, and net yards per pass attempt.

Prior to joining the Eagles, the 45-year-old Spagnuolo spent 15 seasons in the collegiate coaching ranks and two years in NFL Europe. He spent the 1998 season as the defensive coordinator of NFL Europe's Frankfurt Galaxy, which finished second in the league in total defense en route to a World Bowl appearance.

In fact, four of the six linebackers and nine of the 11 defensive starters he tutored went on to play in the NFL. Spagnuolo also served as the defensive line and special teams coach of the Barcelona Dragons in 1992.

A native of Grafton, MA, Spagnuolo has served as a defensive coordinator on the college level with Connecticut and Maine. In addition, he served as assistant coach at Massachusetts, Lafayette, Rutgers, and Bowling Green.

Prior to his stint at Maine, Spagnuolo spent four months as a scout for the San Diego Chargers under then-general manager Bobby Beathard. His first NFL experience came in 1983 as an intern with the Washington Redskins under-then assistant general manager Charlie Casserly.

Born December 21, 1959 in Whitinsville, MA, Spagnuolo attended Grafton (MA) HS. He earned a bachelor's degree in physical education from Springfield (MA) College and a master's degree in sports management from the University of Massachusetts.

===============================
Sean McDermott
Link (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/coachbio.jsp?id=646)
Position: Secondary Coach/Safeties
Years With Eagles: 7

Now is his seventh season with the Eagles, Sean McDermott is the club's secondary/safeties coach. McDermott served as the Eagles defensive assistant/quality control coach from 2001-02, before moving to assistant defensive backs coach in 2003.

In 2004, McDermott played a significant role in having both starting safeties earn Pro Bowl berths for the first time in team history as Brian Dawkins (95 tackles, 4 interceptions, and 3 sacks) and Michael Lewis (team-leading 129 tackles) played at all-star levels.

McDermott originally joined the Eagles in 1998 as a scouting administrative coordinator, a position he held until being promoted to assistant to the head coach in 1999.

From 1994-1997, McDermott was a safety at the College of William and Mary, earning all-conference honors in 1997, Academic all-conference honors in 1996 and 1997, and NSCA Strength and Conditioning All-American accolades. In 1998, he was the recipient of the prestigious Benjamin Ewell Award for his tremendous leadership and excellence on campus and in the community.

In the spring of 1998, McDermott began his coaching career at William and Mary as the defensive backs coach and then as the school's outside linebackers coach that fall.

A 1993 graduate of LaSalle HS, McDermott was named All-Southeastern Pennsylvania at defensive back in 1992. An all-around athlete, he was also a national prep school wrestling champion in his junior and senior year and lettered twice in track.

A native of Omaha, Nebraska, the 31-year old McDermott earned bachelor degrees in both business finance and marketing while at William and Mary.

Sean is single and resides in Valley Forge, PA. He enjoys exercising, playing golf and is an active member of the Church.

Del Rio
01-06-2006, 02:06 PM
O'leary was treated like trash after creating one of the most explosive defensive schemes we had had in a very long time.

Ted got one year too many.

If nothing else happened this year but Ted got let go I would still be very happy and optimistic about next year. Out of EVERY single thing or weak link on the team I think he is what hurt us the most.

So long Ted.

SamDawg84
01-06-2006, 02:47 PM
i want teddy! he was a good cordnator sorta. he knows about 1/2 our starts plus he didnt do good cause some of his starters got hurt. but he was being stuiped with smith and johnson though

DaunteHOF
01-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Maybe now E.J. Henderson will start playing good.

jackyl
01-06-2006, 03:21 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

So long, Teddy!!! And take your son with you too!!!!

How PurplePharaoh of you. :lol:

Vikes
01-06-2006, 03:44 PM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

i want teddy! he was a good cordnator sorta. he knows about 1/2 our starts plus he didnt do good cause some of his starters got hurt. but he was being stuiped with smith and johnson though

Sorry Sam Sorta good does no win the SBowl. Sorry Teddy sucks time to move on.

Big C
01-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Yeah Teddy sucks BIG time. Good defensive coordinators are people that play to your players strengths. George O'Leary and Jim Bates are great example. Jim Bates took the Packer D from around 30 to 15 in one season without any major free agency pickups. Considering the talent we have on D, my God this guy could do wonders.

I can't wait to see Teddy go.

I think our biggest problem on D was 3rd down. We let Baltimore convert like 10 of 15 and score 3 TDs on 3rd down. Why is that? Personally I think it's because those are the packages where our backup LBs and DBs come in. Since we're playing zone, guys like Ralph Brown get lined up with people like Todd Heap. Dovonte Edwards (who is a rookie but a VERY promising one) had to cover the #1 WR. Both of these lead to TDs. All the short passes were complete because the LBs were just a second too late to get to the reciever. Would having a starter in there get the LB a second sooner to stuff the play? I don't know. I just know we SUCKED on 3rd down.

PAvikesfan
01-06-2006, 04:46 PM
childress is bringing in some eagles assistants, one of which could end up as DC. i read both those backgrounds and i really don't know which would be better. probably, steve spachula--haha...we need better linebacker play. i would rather have him go after an existing DC on another team, but having a coach he knows really well bodes well for consistancy.

ted cotrell...bye bye... who needs him.?

whackthepack
01-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Bye Bye Teddy hope you have a great life just do not want you back with the Vikings and calling your weak a$$ defenses any more!! I am sick of watching teams complete 3rd and 10, 3rd and 12 & 3rd and 15 on a regular bases. Teddy you played not to lose, and you lost your job! Play to win and be aggressive, if you lose then at lest you were trying to win not just trying not to lose!

douginc
01-06-2006, 10:36 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

Beautiful. It's perfect when someone writes exactly what I was thinking. Great post!

Does anyone have a guess:
1: Did Smoot just play below par this year
2: That is his level of play
or 3: Horrible defensive schemes handcuffed his abilities

I honestly don't have a clue right now, I'd have to see him play next season.

PurplePeopleEaters
01-06-2006, 10:38 PM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

Maybe now E.J. Henderson will start playing good.

umm.. he has been playing well if you haven't noticed. Probably our best Linebacker.

ultravikingfan
01-06-2006, 10:39 PM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

Sam, spit the marbles out of your mouth please.

Why was he good in your opinion?

PurplePeopleEaters
01-06-2006, 10:41 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"SamDawg84" wrote:

:lol: Please someone back up why they like Cotrell?

Jkurtkrauss
01-06-2006, 10:43 PM
If you like Cottrell, watch a replay of the Carolina game and then think again.

ultravikingfan
01-06-2006, 10:43 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"SamDawg84" wrote:

Here's a list:

NordicNed
01-06-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't like Cotrell, and the sooner we lose him also, the better we will be..

In Brad I trust, to bring in his own crew of assistant coaches and get the job done.....

This is going to be one long offseason, but an interesting one at that......

MrGopher16
01-06-2006, 10:46 PM
"Jkurtkrauss" wrote:

If you like Cottrell, watch a replay of the Carolina game and then think again.

'nuff said.

BBQ Platypus
01-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Aaaaahhhh...how refreshing it is to enter a thread where there are no heated debates. We all know that Cottrell sucks here, and the only argument I can think of starting in this most righteous hate thread is whether we should call him Ted the Tard or Ted the Turd. :bootyshake:

Prophet
01-06-2006, 10:54 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"SamDawg84" wrote:

Here's a list:

That's the same list I had! You were copying again Ultra. Plagiarism I tell ya.

V4L
01-07-2006, 01:11 AM
Samdawg.. WTF

Ted is the worst DC ever.. Doesn't improve our players at all..

Look at what happened when the Pack got Bates.. They even lost thier best D player and their D upgraded..

We could use an awesome D coordinator.. Bring in Rivera!

SKOL
01-07-2006, 01:20 AM
Alright you brothers have it out at home.

SKOL
01-07-2006, 01:22 AM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

he was a good cordnator sorta.

'nuf said

kramer9guy
01-07-2006, 01:43 AM
While I don't think Ted Cottrell is the best D-coordinator out there (far from it), I am very sick of the D-coordinator carousel we've had in MN for what seems like forever now. It has only hurt our defense over the years. And, once again, it looks like we are going to change coordinators and implement a whole new scheme.

IMO, it takes time for a D to gel. And the sad thing is, we just saw the beginning of that over the last half of this past season (where I saw a noticeable improvement by many players). But once again, it looks like we're gonna get a new coordinator. And more than likely it's going to take time for the D to come together as a unit and perform at a high level. And while this process happens, many on this board are gonna be calling for the new D-coordinators head like that of Cottrell, O'Leary, Shaw and Fazio.

Now, I'm not here to argue for Cottrell to stay, now is a perfect time for him to go. Childress needs his own supporting cast. But if he did stay, I will admit, I wouldn't complain as much as some others around here might. Because IMO, our D would improve over the last two seasons. But, that is not going to be the case. My biggest wish at this point is that whoever we decide on next is given a fair shake and is allowed to take the time needed to mold the defense into his own image and let them succeed on the field.

Whoever our D-coordinator is next season, I wish him the best.

NordicNed
01-07-2006, 01:58 AM
I say send Ted packing....

It only took him half a season to figure out somewhat what he was doing wrong..

I'de hate to see it happen again...

But I really think we don't have to worrie about that, Brad is going to bring in his own crew.......Thank God

2beersTommy
01-07-2006, 02:17 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"SamDawg84" wrote:

Here's a list:

NO, that was nuff said LMFAO

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
01-07-2006, 02:29 AM
Keep Cotrell to save continuity.

SKOL
01-07-2006, 04:33 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

And only after Foge Fazio was brought in as a consultant.

mnjamie
01-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Since nobody will say why they like Cottrell, I will list why I DON'T like him:

"D" lineman never ran any exotic stunts to get pressure on the QB when it was obvious the base "D" being called wasn't getting even close to applying pressure in any way.

So, I feel Teddy should go the same reason everyone else wanted Tice out, he couldn't adjust his schemes and players during a game to counter what the other teams "O" was doing.

jackyl
01-07-2006, 05:52 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

"VikingNed" wrote:

And only after Foge Fazio was brought in as a consultant.

Fazio did nodda.... zip.

Tanner_QBRB8
01-07-2006, 05:56 AM
i heard on nfl totall access that we are getting rid of cottrel and bringing in the D back coach from the Buccs

Mr. Purple
01-07-2006, 06:21 AM
"i heard on nfl totall access that we are getting rid of cottrel and bringing in the D back coach from the Buccs"-Tanner_QBRB8

That is GREAT news if its true. Tampa is stacked with defensive coaches and thier all good. I hope this is true.

mnjamie
01-07-2006, 06:33 AM
*bump*

Prophet
01-08-2006, 01:09 AM
KFFL
Vikings | May be interested in Tomlin
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:24:16 -0800

Roy Cummings, of the Tampa Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress is believed to be considering Tampa Bay Buccaneers assistant coach Mike Tomlin for a spot on his coaching staff. Tomlin is believed to be among a group of candidates being considered for the defensive coordinator's post.

pumapride77
01-08-2006, 02:18 AM
So, does anyone know what the odds are that Cottrell will be fired? Is it an almost certain thing, or just speculation?

Prophet
01-08-2006, 02:19 AM
"pumapride77" wrote:

So, does anyone know what the odds are that Cottrell will be fired? Is it an almost certain thing, or just speculation?

I would give it a 95.7% probability.

V4L
01-08-2006, 02:34 AM
Anyone think we could still Rivera from the Bears?

That would be the best move we can make

vikes09
01-08-2006, 04:28 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"pumapride77" wrote:

WHAT?!?!? NO WAY. i'd say about 94.3.

BBQ Platypus
01-08-2006, 06:29 PM
"vikes09" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"pumapride77" wrote:

WHAT?!?!? NO WAY. i'd say about 94.3.

You're BOTH wrong. It is clearly 96.23794%. :lol:

singersp
01-08-2006, 06:32 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

KFFL
Vikings | May be interested in Tomlin
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:24:16 -0800

Roy Cummings, of the Tampa Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress is believed to be considering Tampa Bay Buccaneers assistant coach Mike Tomlin for a spot on his coaching staff. Tomlin is believed to be among a group of candidates being considered for the defensive coordinator's post.

Old news! Posted it yesterday!

singersp
01-08-2006, 06:34 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

Since nobody will say why they like Cottrell, I will list why I DON'T like him:

"D" lineman never ran any exotic stunts to get pressure on the QB when it was obvious the base "D" being called wasn't getting even close to applying pressure in any way.

So, I feel Teddy should go the same reason everyone else wanted Tice out, he couldn't adjust his schemes and players during a game to counter what the other teams "O" was doing.

You forgot to mention his defensive schemes & playbook was so complicated it took our boys a half of a season to adjust & gel.

singersp
01-08-2006, 06:36 PM
"pumapride77" wrote:

http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17692

Del Rio
01-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Winfield saved the season by speaking what the players were thinking.

Ted Cottrell may make a good head coach somewhere but it has been painfully obvious since day one that he has lost his edge when it comes to running a defense.

Despite what anyone says, I can only imagine our defensive players are excited about the change. Even the guys who know and have played for Ted before.