PDA

View Full Version : Smoot may have violated curfew

jimmymac
01-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Smoot may have violated curfew
BY CHARLEY WALTERS
Pioneer Press

Don't print that:
)Team officials won't talk, but a little birdie says the reason Vikings controversial cornerback Fred Smoot was in full uniform on the Metrodome sideline but didn't play a down Sunday in the team's season-ending victory over the Chicago Bears is because he blatantly disregarded the team's curfew the night before, on New Year's Eve. Word is Smoot placed a couple of pillows under his bed's blanket as a decoy at the team hotel.

) Smoot is under the impression the Vikings will have him back next season. But considering his alleged involvement in the Vikings' infamous Lake Minnetonka boating escapade, and the emergence of free agent Brian Williams, plus missing curfew, it will be interesting to see whether team owner Zygi Wilf tolerates Smoot for another season or makes a statement by trading him.

) Working in Smoot's favor is that he received a $10.8 million signing bonus a year ago as part of a six-year contract, and the salary cap hit the Vikings would take by letting him go would be huge.
Re-signing Williams, by the way, could cost the Vikings a $6 million bonus.

Overheard

) Wild chairman Bob Naegele, on being ranked No. 74 on The Hockey News' list of the 100 most influential people in hockey: "My wife gives me annual rankings, and I'm not always that high."

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/columnists/13551679.htm

Prophet
01-05-2006, 08:26 PM
It's really surprising that he would break the curfew.

DCPologirl
01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

It's really surprising that he would break the curfew.

Right :shock:

Ltrey33
01-05-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't know what the big deal is. Smoot has been a stand up guy ever since he got here. He helps old ladies across the street, gives candy to little children, works at local soup kitchens and my sources tell me that the reason he was out past curfew is because he was giving underprivelaged children sparklers and noise makers to ring in the new year with. Geeze Wilf, get off of the guy's back already.

V4L
01-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I don't find it surprising.. It's Smoot..

And it was new years!

DCPologirl
01-05-2006, 08:46 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

I don't know what the big deal is. Smoot has been a stand up guy ever since he got here. He helps old ladies across the street, gives candy to little children, works at local soup kitchens and my sources tell me that the reason he was out past curfew is because he was giving underprivelaged children sparklers and noise makers to ring in the new year with. Geeze Wilf, get off of the guy's back already.

You forgopt to say moving strippers over state lines.......it's all for the community man.... :shock:

Prophet
01-05-2006, 08:49 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

:lol:

Mr. Purple
01-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Its New Years eve, shouldnt be a big deal. The season is over anyways so I dont really care.

V4L
01-05-2006, 09:03 PM
No doubt.. Let them stay out an extra hour or so on holidays like that.. Yah oh well it ain't a big deal.. Don't think anything will happen over it

Del Rio
01-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Fred Smoot:

Active in community programs in Washington
Redskins relief fund to help families of Sept 11th attacks
Active member of the read program
Spokesman for the Redskins All-Stars that helps with kids
Recipient of the B.J Blanchard Award
Sponsors a youth football team

I think the guy just needs the offseason to get back to basics. He had a rough start here, but I think he can get comfortable next year.

ultravikingfan
01-05-2006, 09:06 PM
I think with all that went on this year that Fred is a smart enough guy to know when he needs to make adjustments and just get back to being a great football player.

I hope thats what is going on in his head.

cajunvike
01-05-2006, 09:07 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Fred Smoot:

I think the guy just needs the offseason to get back to basics. He had a rough start here, but I think he can get comfortable next year.

I thought that you were a BWill fan???

V4L
01-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Del is just pointing out facts bro! Smoot is a good guy.. Just needs to concentrate on football..

I wanna say again I still agree with Del.. Smoot=B-will!

Del Rio
01-05-2006, 09:15 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Fred Smoot:

I thought that you were a BWill fan???

I have obviously posted so much on those topics that people have my position all confused.

I have no problem with Smoot. My problem is the way the Vikings handled the acuisition.

All of the ranting about Smoots abilities was to attempt to justify my stance that Smoot is no BETTER then Williams. Smoot is here to stay he is good. Obviously if I think B.Williams is good and I say Smoot = BWILL I am saying Smoot is good too.

The only THREE things I hate about Smoot
1) We paid a lot of money for him when we could have got more for less
2) We lost Brian Williams in the process
3) People love the IDEA of Smoot so much that they try to discredit Brian Williams abilities to boost Smoot with no facts at all.

I think Smoot will be fine. He just needs to settle, get comfortable. I don't think he will end up doing anything more the BWill will ever do, but he is good and will help our team win.

ultravikingfan
01-05-2006, 09:18 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Del is just pointing out facts bro! Smoot is a good guy.. Just needs to concentrate on football..

More like:

Smoot - big mouth = B-Will?

V4L
01-05-2006, 09:19 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

More like:

Exactly! We should give B-will Smoot's contract!

cajunvike
01-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Smoot will be back next year...in prime form...backing up his mouth this time!!!

whackthepack
01-05-2006, 09:35 PM
With the love boat situation, the injuries and him getting burned in to many games you would think that he would try and walk the straight and narrow. But to get busted for a curfew and not be able to play the final game with the miserable year he has had does not bod well for him being back! He could be the player that Wilf decides to use as an example!

I know that Wilf was embarrassed by the boat cruise, my opinion is he will send at least one player packing when the legal side is settled. With this curfew violation coming out, and more late night jokes coming our way! Smoot is likely the person that is gone, he arranged for the cruise and the strippers he is the most likely player to go. I hope that they resign B-Will so that we have at least a good starting set of CB's or that they pick somebody up in free agency.

Ltrey33
01-05-2006, 10:41 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ltrey33" wrote:

You forgopt to say moving strippers over state lines.......it's all for the community man.... :shock:

Sure, and not to mention that Smoot is also an environmentalist. You see, instead of using two sex toys, he used one that had two heads. He was just being a conservationist.

Yikes!

briboy75
01-05-2006, 10:45 PM
smoot - (his mouth + injurys + distractions) = brian williams

the salary cap hit we'd take on letting smoot go would be too big. ideally, i think we should sign williams, and tell him he will be the starting corner when camp begins. let him know its his job to lose. i think the chances of that are pretty slim though.

stjmnsota
01-05-2006, 10:47 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

More like:

BINGO!

Vikes
01-05-2006, 10:50 PM
How old is this guy????? Is he not a professional or is he a child.

NordicNed
01-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Well time to let the cat out of the bag....

Smooth was with SingerSP and Me........We had a little party with some friends Smooth had invited up from Atlanta and Georgia.....

If it was me, I would have used two pillows and a coconut for a head.....No one would have noticed him missing then...

Tanner_QBRB8
01-05-2006, 11:08 PM
i Really like smoot a lot i think he deserves his spot and i mean we signed him to a 6 year deal we might as well play him

2beersTommy
01-05-2006, 11:10 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Well time to let the cat out of the bag....

Smooth was with SingerSP and Me........We had a little party with some friends Smooth had invited up from Atlanta and Georgia.....

If it was me, I would have used two pillows and a coconut for a head.....No one would have noticed him missing then...

if Ned, SP, and Smoot were "lucky" they violated MORE than just the curfue !! lmao :la:

VKG4LFE
01-06-2006, 03:57 AM
Why are they staying at a team hotel when it is a home game? You would think they would get to stay at home. I guess that goes to show what I know.

ultravikingfan
01-06-2006, 04:26 AM
"Tanner_QBRB8" wrote:

i Really like smoot a lot i think he deserves his spot and i mean we signed him to a 6 year deal we might as well play him

Liking the guy and him actually earning his keep do not go hand-in-hand.

cajunvike
01-06-2006, 07:58 AM
"ltrey33" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ltrey33" wrote:

Sure, and not to mention that Smoot is also an environmentalist. You see, instead of using two sex toys, he used one that had two heads. He was just being a conservationist.

Yikes!

:shock:

DemonicViking
01-06-2006, 08:00 AM
As the old saying goes.. two heads are better than one.

SmootCriminal
01-06-2006, 08:05 AM
the real question is why is the boat party such a big deal? i think it is jealousy

DemonicViking
01-06-2006, 08:08 AM
It's because it was during football season.

The most disturbing thing that could have came out of this is if they had guys instead of girls on the boat.

modena11
01-06-2006, 08:18 AM
in all likelihood the press is just speculatiing, you can either choose to believe or choose not too.

i choose not too. i have my reasons.

SmootCriminal
01-06-2006, 08:19 AM
i choose to believe, and i like them better for it, all work and no play makes jack a dull boy...

SmootCriminal
01-06-2006, 08:34 AM
um i just realized that this title wasnt a satirical joke about the boat party... who puts a curfew on 22-40 year old men, is that even legal?

modena11
01-06-2006, 09:20 AM
for a professional football team or a team of any sorts that has a game the next day, the coach will usually give the players a curfew. it's actually very common.

yes it is legal.

DCPologirl
01-06-2006, 09:48 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Smoot will be back next year...in prime form...backing up his mouth this time!!!
He better fn be

midgensa
01-06-2006, 09:54 AM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

He better fn be

Wow, fiesty in the wee hours aren't ya gorgeous.
Smooty played average this year ... definitely not as bad as people make it sound ... and when he gets a coordinator that does not leave corner on a god damn island he will be just fine.

DCPologirl
01-06-2006, 09:57 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

"DCPologirl" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

He better fn be

Wow, fiesty in the wee hours aren't ya gorgeous.
Smooty played average this year ... definitely not as bad as people make it sound ... and when he gets a coordinator that does not leave corner on a god gol 'darnit island he will be just fine.

always feisty darlin :cool:

ultravikingfan
01-06-2006, 11:47 AM
"SmootCriminal" wrote:

um i just realized that this title wasnt a satirical joke about the boat party... who puts a curfew on 22-40 year old men, is that even legal?

Probably every coach in the NFL and major college teams.

DaScRuM
01-06-2006, 04:19 PM
See, I may have been correct afterall. Monday morning I posted that Smoot and Tice had a blowout and Smoot would not play (per PA on the pregame show). Another poster pretty much accused me of starting rumors (OH NO!).

Now, if I could just get the MRobinson thing straightened out. I'd be sitting pretty! I may be vindicated!!!

Just having a little fun. No harm meant.

Now, maybe Childress will have a few surprises for Smoot.

ChezPizmo
01-06-2006, 04:30 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

We are talking about the same Freddy Smoot, right?

whackthepack
01-06-2006, 04:45 PM
"SmootCriminal" wrote:

the real question is why is the boat party such a big deal? i think it is jealousy

Embarrassing the team and the coaches and the owners and the whole frickin state. Do you watch any sports shows or late night TV? And I have already heard jokes about Smoot sneaking out. If you spent 650 Million dollars for a team and are made the laughing stock of the nation would it not pi$$ you off, it would me.

They could have still had their party I do not care, but do it in a place that is not public and they would have been fine (like in one of their houses or a huge luxury hotel suite).

So if he does let some players go I would not hold it against Wilf, I just hope that next year the players that are on the team are here to play football and not just to party!

ps. I think that it would be disrespectful to your team mates and your coaches to be out partying the night before a game when they are counting on you.

snowinapril
01-06-2006, 05:07 PM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

Its New Years eve, shouldnt be a big deal. The season is over anyways so I dont really care.

Blatant negligence is not a minor deal. It is a big deal. The Team has a curfew, you have a curfew. It doesn't matter what night of the year it is. Anything other than that just looks bad on his part. He doesn'tvalue his job here and just wants to get paid, "don't let the man keep me down."

snowinapril
01-06-2006, 05:15 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"SmootCriminal" wrote:

Probably every coach in the NFL and major college teams.

We were at home(not on the road) and were staying in a team hotel, that says how important it was for the coach to have imposed them to hotels to hold them accountable to the curfew too.

They have a game night curfew for home games, but they are usually allowed to stay at home though. Anyone know if they do the hotel for every home game or was it just this one because of NYE?

UTVikfan
01-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Smoot has really, really, really looked bad to me this year. Considering what we paid him. I say we send him back to the 'Skins. He appears to have poor character, is all talk and half walk....there used to be thread after thread after thread about how Bryan Williams( or is it Russell, lol, I STILL get those two confused) used to suck. BWill was Starting, not Smoot. BWill was playing good ball, not Smoot. BWill wasn't talking, just playing.

snowinapril
01-06-2006, 06:00 PM
"UTVikfan" wrote:

Smoot has really, really, really looked bad to me this year. Considering what we paid him. I say we send him back to the 'Skins. He appears to have poor character, is all talk and half walk....there used to be thread after thread after thread about how Bryan Williams( or is it Russell, lol, I STILL get those two confused) used to suck. BWill was Starting, not Smoot. BWill was playing good ball, not Smoot. BWill wasn't talking, just playing.

As far as I am concerned, Smoot stole 10 Million in a signing bonus from us.

Maybe he can redeem himself next year?????? If he is here.

Offseason moves, whoever was on top of that one, should have also got the axe along with Tice. The only way that person can save his job is if he was the one that pursued P-Will and opposed the Napo deal. IMO that is.

Del Rio
01-06-2006, 06:05 PM
I seriously wish we would have passed on Smoot and signed Dyson or Lucas, that would have allowed us to pay less for about the same quality as well as resign Brian Williams to a few more years.

I understand why they went after Smoot the way they did though. Now that he is here I only wish him the best.

I think getting settled in and getting his feet under him with a fresh start next year will really do him some good. He seems like a competetor and if he is here I can only assume he will want to rectify his image and his game next season.

VikingMike
01-06-2006, 09:32 PM
"jimmymac" wrote:

Smoot may have violated curfew
BY CHARLEY WALTERS
Pioneer Press

Don't print that:
)Team officials won't talk, but a little birdie says the reason Vikings controversial cornerback Fred Smoot was in full uniform on the Metrodome sideline but didn't play a down Sunday in the team's season-ending victory over the Chicago Bears is because he blatantly disregarded the team's curfew the night before, on New Year's Eve. Word is Smoot placed a couple of pillows under his bed's blanket as a decoy at the team hotel.

) Smoot is under the impression the Vikings will have him back next season. But considering his alleged involvement in the Vikings' infamous Lake Minnetonka boating escapade, and the emergence of free agent Brian Williams, plus missing curfew, it will be interesting to see whether team owner Zygi Wilf tolerates Smoot for another season or makes a statement by trading him.

) Working in Smoot's favor is that he received a $10.8 million signing bonus a year ago as part of a six-year contract, and the salary cap hit the Vikings would take by letting him go would be huge.
Re-signing Williams, by the way, could cost the Vikings a $6 million bonus.

Overheard

) Wild chairman Bob Naegele, on being ranked No. 74 on The Hockey News' list of the 100 most influential people in hockey: "My wife gives me annual rankings, and I'm not always that high."

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/columnists/13551679.htm

That would be one helluva statement by Zygi if he traded Smoot.

V4L
01-06-2006, 09:34 PM
That would be a statment if he traded him!! Saying he isn't taking shizz from noone!

I would personally like to see it.. Weed out the bad ones.. Keep the good ones.. B-will needs to stay.. And Smoot has been somewhat of a trouble maker..

snowinapril
01-06-2006, 09:38 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

That would be a statment if he traded him!! Saying he isn't taking shizz from noone!

I would personally like to see it.. Weed out the bad ones.. Keep the good ones.. B-will needs to stay.. And Smoot has been somewhat of a trouble maker..

Man that would cost us some money.

Smoots Bonus from last year will count against the cap, somehow, IDK going into next season.

Plus if we have to give B-Will 6 mil as a bonus to stay plus his salary. A new DC and HC might be able to talk him into staying.

It will kick us in the arse anyway you look at it.

V4L
01-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Yah I spose.. Might as well keep him.. And seriously try to find a way to keep B-will

snowinapril
01-06-2006, 10:09 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Yah I spose.. Might as well keep him.. And seriously try to find a way to keep B-will

Don't get me wrong, Smoot might have to be made an example of, even though it will cost us. I doubt if we were going to push the cap up to the limit this year anyway. The money would still probably fit under the cap.

VikingMike
01-07-2006, 04:41 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Don't get me wrong, Smoot might have to be made an example of, even though it will cost us. I doubt if we were going to push the cap up to the limit this year anyway. The money would still probably fit under the cap.

Tough call, but hey, that's what these guys are being paid the big bucks for...to make the tough decisions. (But I really don't want to lose BWill.)

briboy75
01-07-2006, 08:28 AM
my understanding is that we already took the cap hit on smoot by paying him a very frontloaded contract. if we were to cut him, it would be a shame becuase hes not costing us much going foreward... i don't think it would effect the cap this year much. am i understanding this right?

vIker44
01-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Gads, for the life uv me I cannot understand why Smoot lovers continue to stand by that loser.... he stinks as a corner, has a big motor mouth, and will be nothing but trouble.... $34 million for a dude that couldn't cover a Jr. wideout???? Yuk.... If we can't get rid of this chump, at least bust him down to nickel and dime packages....

vIker44
01-07-2006, 08:41 AM
"briboy75" wrote:

my understanding is that we already took the cap hit on smoot by paying him a very frontloaded contract. if we were to cut him, it would be a shame becuase hes not costing us much going foreward... i don't think it would effect the cap this year much. am i understanding this right?

Dude, I'd take double the cap hit to let loose this loser... If he had ANY game at all he "might" be worth keeping.... trust me... I've done the legwork.... this guy is one of the worst corners in the entire NFL.... to think we're losing Brian Williams and keeping this too small ineffective wimp......

Mr. Purple
01-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Worst corner in the NFL? Lil harsh....why do you think he is? Becuase just like about 6 other CB's in the NFL he got tore up bye Steve Smith? Or becuase he trash talked against Chad Johnson who not only burnt him but the rest of our secondary? Smoot gets alot of uncessary blame. IDK why, he had a shaky first year....he'll be alot more improved next year.In the NFL you cant keep everyone happy, so if b-will leaves we'll be fine. Dovonte is looking like a stud as well.

T-Money
01-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Giving up 200 yards to Steve Smith? That's not what we need on our team. I say we re-sign B-Will. Nate Clements will be a free agent this year too. If we can't sign Williams, I say we drop Smoot and pick him up.

Mr. Purple
01-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Alright so if Smoot got killed bye him we should release smoot? Maybe so....maybe these teams should release thier corners too..

Steve Smith Vs Oppents:

NO-138 Yards-1 TD
MIA-170 Yards 3-TD's
ARI- 119 Yards-2-TD'S
DET-123 Yards-1-TD
TB-106 Yards-1-TD
CHI-169 Yards
TB-103 Yards

Man...Tampa should dump Rhonde Barbor, Chicago needs to Dump Vasher...cuz they ALL got burnt bye Steve Smith.

Mr. Purple
01-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Number 1 and 2 Defenses in the NFL couldnt stop Steve Smith.

T-Money
01-07-2006, 09:14 AM
It wasn't just Steve Smith that dominated Smoot. All season long it seemed like Smoot was all talk and no game. I think our money could have been spent a little better.

Mr. Purple
01-07-2006, 09:16 AM
See thats the thing, Smoot does play good. He was out for what like 4 or 5 games, and when he comes back he does his job. Hes a great tackler. You dont here his name much becuase hes been doing his job.I love B-will and he had a great year, but I still remeber in years past when he was gettin burned left and right. So maybe Smoot could have his break out year next year? Who knows, IMO I think hes a good solid CB.

T-Money
01-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm not against you Williamson.. I think Smoot has the potential to be a great corner, and maybe it was his injury that brought him down a little this year. Hopefully he will be back to 100% next year, and can live up to his full potential.

vIker44
01-07-2006, 09:42 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

Worst corner in the NFL? Lil harsh....why do you think he is? Becuase just like about 6 other CB's in the NFL he got tore up bye Steve Smith? Or becuase he trash talked against Chad Johnson who not only burnt him but the rest of our secondary? Smoot gets alot of uncessary blame. IDK why, he had a shaky first year....he'll be alot more improved next year.In the NFL you cant keep everyone happy, so if b-will leaves we'll be fine. Dovonte is looking like a stud as well.

OK, "worst corner in the NFL" is a tad harsh.... I shoulda said "one of the worst corners in the NFL".... He hid on a solid college defense and talked loud and large..... he hid on a very good Redskins defense and continued to talk himself up.... The Skins started to try and trade him nearly from the time they picked him up..... they were glad to dump him off and their fans could see he was a chump..... check his bench press during combine.... strength wise he was one of the weakest out that year..... he's extremely small for an NFL corner and will continue to get injured as the years pass.... he's somewhat quick, but has not near the speed or cover skills to be a starting NFL corner..... Hopefully Childress will relegate him to nickel and dime packages or simply cut him loose.... I've been right about this trash talker from day one and it's time for the Smoot lovers to come clean and admit he will not pan out, period.....

olson_10
01-07-2006, 09:45 AM
to hell with smoot, get rid of this clown..he backs up trash talk by playing like trash, hes got the whole idea of talking trash down backwards