PDA

View Full Version : Brad Wants to Start

VikingsTw
01-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Johnson seeks starting role
Having proven his ability to still be a starting quarterback in the NFL, Brad Johnson appears to be taking steps to ensure he doesn't begin the 2006 season as a backup.
Judd Zulgad and Mark Craigstar Tribune Staff Writers, Star Tribune
Last update: January 05, 2006 – 1:02 AM

Having proven his ability to still be a starting quarterback in the NFL, Brad Johnson appears to be taking steps to ensure he doesn't begin the 2006 season as a backup.
According to a person with knowledge of the situation, Johnson told Rob Brzezinski, Vikings vice president of football operations, that he wants to be traded if he isn't going to remain the starter.

Johnson's agent, Phil Williams, did not deny the fact his client wants to start but disputes the fact a trade demand was made. "It is more complicated than that," Williams said. Johnson declined to comment through Williams on Wednesday; Brzezinski said he had no comment via e-mail.

"I am aware that Brad did meet with Rob, whom he respects a lot, and in the course of their talk I have no doubt that Brad said something along the lines of, 'I am a starting quarterback in the NFL and love being a starting quarterback in the NFL,' " Williams said.

"The dynamics in Minnesota are what they are and this has nothing to do with individual players other than the fact that any quarterback in the NFL who is as good a starter as Brad is wants to be a starter. That should be obvious to anyone. He loves Minnesota but again the dynamics being what they are, if he were not the starting quarterback in Minnesota, he would like to be starting somewhere. Wouldn't anybody?"

Those dynamics involve injured Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper and the team's plans for him.

After being unable to find a starting job on the free-agent market last March, Johnson agreed to a four-year deal to return to the Vikings and serve as Culpepper's backup. Johnson, 37, became the starter when Culpepper tore three ligaments in his right knee in the first half Oct. 30 at Carolina.

Johnson, who finished the 2004 season as a backup in Tampa Bay, led the Vikings to a 7-2 record over the final nine games, including a six-game winning streak that put the team back in the playoff hunt after a 2-5 start.

Culpepper, though, is due a $6 million roster bonus in March and Vikings officials continue to be optimistic he will be ready for the start of the regular season. If that is the case, assuring Johnson of the starting job will be difficult.

Asked after Sunday's victory over Chicago in the regular-season finale, Johnson addressed the possibility of starting next season. "Hopefully someone out there will appreciate my value," he said. "I'm sure everything is going to take its course. ... I am just going to let things play out."

Said Williams: "Brad knows that he can have success as an NFL quarterback for several more years so of course he wouldn't want to be designated as a backup anywhere. The circumstances from 2004 [when Johnson was benched in Tampa Bay] that dictated he started the season in 2005 as a backup are unfortunate and yet they are in the past.

"I'm pretty sure that most people around the NFL realize that Brad Johnson is the Brad Johnson of old and is a starting quarterback. But again, I say, wouldn't anybody? So it's not that big of a deal. Whatever was said and however it was interpreted I can't comment on, but I can say the part about Brad wanting to be a starting quarterback is absolutely factual, and he deserves to be."

Loney in Arizona today

Vikings offensive coordinator-line coach Steve Loney flew to Phoenix on Wednesday night and will interview for the Cardinals' vacant offensive line coaching position today.

If the Cardinals offer Loney the job, it's believed he will have only one day to accept it. With so many job openings throughout the league, Cardinals coach Dennis Green wants to move fast for competitive reasons.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/164016.html

hailtocarter
01-05-2006, 11:13 AM
All I can say is I think he should start also, and I hope he does.

Gift
01-05-2006, 11:21 AM
he only has a year or 2 left, I can see why his position. I say just take c-peps rehab real slow, let his heal 100% and maybe brad will start 1 more year and c-pep returns 100% the year after. I honestly dont think c-pep will ever be 100% again tho, we should make sure to have a real good back up from here out.

SharperVikings
01-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Heres what we should doo....Take culpepper's rehab, and do the best we can...we need him to heel as fully as he can...then if needed, brad can start next year, he really showed that he can still win games in this league! If pep's ready for training camp, let him and brad deul it out for the starting spot!

Our new coach will go with the better qb...

Del Rio
01-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Can't blame Brad for that.

He is a starting QB he has prooven it time and time again.

A lot is going to depend on our coaching situation but I think Brad will be starting somewhere else next year.

snowinapril
01-05-2006, 07:00 PM
I can see this thread turning ugly in a few pages down the road.

He is under contract.

At this point, he may very well be starting next year if DC is unable to play right away.

Last, no use to discuss it until we get a new coach. The coach makes that decision and could tell him the day after he is signed that BJ will be the starter and then change his mind a minute before the first game of the season.

Coach has the final say!

snowinapril
01-05-2006, 07:03 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

A lot is going to depend on our coaching situation but I think Brad will be starting somewhere else next year.

I am a DC supporter all the way.

With that said, Brad should be told that he is competing for the starting job.

It comes back to what we were saying about DC earlier, make him earn it.

Also, we paid him a lot of money to be a back up. He signed the contract, he needs to stay. Unless there is a clause in the contract that says he can shop himself around??????

grpape
01-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Rember, it is a business, and $6 mil in March will weigh heavily in the decision (sadly).

Ltrey33
01-05-2006, 07:11 PM
What are we gonna get for a 37 year old quarterback in a trade? To me this is just going to be a major headache because we will A) be without a backup, B) have a QB "controversy" C) Have unneeded headaches from trying to find a trade for a guy we brought in to be a backup.

bfld
01-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Letting Brad go would be a disaster. Even IF CP looks good in camp, won't have much of an idea of his recovery until a few games in. If CP is marginal, who else but Brad do we go to? Yes, he's under contract, I guess we also have to make him "happy". An early test for Wilf & co.

Del Rio
01-05-2006, 07:21 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Also, we paid him a lot of money to be a back up. He signed the contract, he needs to stay. Unless there is a clause in the contract that says he can shop himself around??????

I think the respect factor the org has for Brad will allow him to shop. Everyone knows he doesn't have many years left so keeping him on as a backup under a guy he outperformed would be a slap in the face.

You could have a competition to see who is better ready to play.........but IF and I say if for a reason Culpepper gets back into playing condition (I pray to god he does) then the scenerio is pretty simple IMO.

Brad starts out the season as starter and regardless of how he does he is taken out at the best moment to re-insert Daunte. I'm in no way saying it's wrong because Daunte is a better QB IMO, especially if our coaching staff knows how to use him.

I just don't think it's fair to Brad, and I think that the Vikings will see it that way too and if they say Daunte is our man, Brad can probably seek a trade without them putting up a fight.

IMO of course.

bfld
01-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Del Rio,

You're probably described how it will play out. but we'll be taking a heck of a chance letting Brad go. I hope someone smarter than me can come up with a way to keep him around; otherwise we're going to be making installments on our ulcers every time CP takes a shot to that knee.

snowinapril
01-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Del, I am not disaggreeing with you, just adding some thoughts, for Brad to think about. As a competitor, he probably wouldn't even give it a second thought.

But:

The team he may go to might pull him and he could also be beat out. Where does he go.

Packers = Competition
Saints = NO WAY who wants to go there, what if the draft a QB.
Jets = Competiton if Chad is back.
Ravens = Competition
Cardinals = Maybe Denny would start him

Give me some other ideas where it is that much more certain of a position that he will start. he actually has more chance to start in MN, for a while that is.

Seriously, what team is going to give him the start. Please contribute to BJ's search for a new team, any ideas.

Prophet
01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I think the Raiders would start him for a season while they figure out which way is up with their new head coach and now that they realized that Kerry is an idiot.

KJ
01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Give me some other ideas where it is that much more certain of a position that he will start. he actually has more chance to start in MN, for a while that is.

Seriously, what team is going to give him the start. Please contribute to BJ's search for a new team, any ideas.Detroit.

Say they draft a Jay Cutler or someone, they could bring Brad in to be the starter for a year or two. Most likely Garcia and Harrington are out.

Del Rio
01-05-2006, 07:43 PM
I can't really say for sure because there are teams that I think may move QB's this offseason like the Raiders for example.

If his desire is to start there are plenty of teams he could contribute too on that level ourselves included.

I think he knows what everyone else knows in that Dante is the Vikings love child. He is fun to watch he has amazing talent, and he gets paid a WHOLE lot of money.

Now he may not get a starting role on another team, but there are teams who he could get one.

All I am saying is he obviously wants to start. It could happen hell you have all the teams you listed, plus the raiders, the Titans, the Lions......I mean there are possibilities. I think the Vikings will let him EXPLORE thos possibilities.

Which is saying he can seek a trade. He can test the waters and if no one bites he remains a starter/backup for the Vikes. If he can better himself and start somewhere he should be able to I think the Vikings will feel the same way.

DCPologirl
01-05-2006, 07:58 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Ypou know I really enjoy your posts Snow...I totally agree you are absolutely right.

cajunvike
01-05-2006, 08:06 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I can't really say for sure because there are teams that I think may move QB's this offseason like the Raiders for example.

If his desire is to start there are plenty of teams he could contribute too on that level ourselves included.

I think he knows what everyone else knows in that Dante is the Vikings love child. He is fun to watch he has amazing talent, and he gets paid a WHOLE lot of money.

Now he may not get a starting role on another team, but there are teams who he could get one.

All I am saying is he obviously wants to start. It could happen hell you have all the teams you listed, plus the raiders, the Titans, the Lions......I mean there are possibilities. I think the Vikings will let him EXPLORE thos possibilities.

Which is saying he can seek a trade. He can test the waters and if no one bites he remains a starter/backup for the Vikes. If he can better himself and start somewhere he should be able to I think the Vikings will feel the same way.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading him to the Titans for McNair...they would probably love to unload McNair's salary and we have the cap room to handle it.

Prophet
01-05-2006, 08:14 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

I wouldn't be opposed to trading him to the Titans for McNair...they would probably love to unload McNair's salary and we have the cap room to handle it.

Trading Johnson for McNair? Sounds like a good deal to me. McNair is a tough sumbitch.

finnishvikingsfan
01-05-2006, 08:18 PM
That wouldnt be to bad of a trade. McNair would stay healthy long enough for Culpepper comes back. I think Brad has proved himself to start elsewhere he is a real good football player. I would be happy for Brad if he was able to go.

DCPologirl
01-05-2006, 08:19 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

Trading Johnson for McNair? Sounds like a good deal to me. McNair is a tough sumbitch.

That's about the only scenerio I can imagine being ok with...I like that guy

snowinapril
01-05-2006, 08:38 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

Is this attractive to McNair, who more than likely has a VETO button in his contract, more likely to have that language in his contract than BJ would.

BTW, thanks DCpologirl!!!!

V4L
01-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Just let him compete for the job.. If we wins he wins.. If Pep actually does come back next year

Gift
01-05-2006, 08:56 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Just let him compete for the job.. If we wins he wins.. If Pep actually does come back next yearThis is not a bad idea, insted of just saying c-pep is our guy why not have him prove it. Dont go by past stas just go by current production. It is the most fair solution.

Del Rio
01-05-2006, 09:05 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

A little birdie told me Mcnair was going to be out of there.

I don't know that he would enjoy being a backup to Pep, but I get the feeling he won't have much say in where he lands.

V4L
01-05-2006, 09:08 PM
"Gift" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Just let him compete for the job.. If we wins he wins.. If Pep actually does come back next yearThis is not a bad idea, insted of just saying c-pep is our guy why not have him prove it. Dont go by past stas just go by current production. It is the most fair solution.

True dat man.. I hope the best man wins.. Bring in Shockley for back up duties also.. I think he will be a solid NFL QB :smile:

ultravikingfan
01-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Had to figure he would want to start. He is a good and very experienced QB. There are a lot of QB's out there who do not deserve a starting gig; Brad could easily beat out a lot of them.

V-Unit
01-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Man, why does Brad have to make this more complicated than it already is? Even if he is better than Daunte right now, it hurts the Vikings future to have him start all next season. Now all of a sudden we have to trade him and find a different backup.

I don't think putting Daunte on a short leash will help his game at all. He struggled this year because he was expected to do big things and was trying to do to much with the ball, forcing throws and such. The added pressure of the chance to be benched if he has a bad game will likely cause him to play the same way. If we don't start Daunte next year we might as well trade him and then start all over again at the QB position when Brad retires.

stjmnsota
01-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Simple. Trade Culpepper if there is the slightest interest. Draft or pick up a QB to develop over the next two years under Brad. In two years, Brad wins a Superbowl and retires and the Rookie is ready to play having learned from one of the best.

Culpepper goes on to set an NFL record for interceptions, fumbles and sacks taken with another team. And the Vikes save what, $6 million by not paying Daunte his bonus next year?

cajunvike
01-05-2006, 10:38 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

A little birdie told me Mcnair was going to be out of there.

I don't know that he would enjoy being a backup to Pep, but I get the feeling he won't have much say in where he lands.

Was that birdie named Dyson? McNair wouldn't come in as a backup to Brad necessarily...the Vikes could have an open competition for the starting position...and let the best man win! I don't doubt that McNair would beat out BJ if both were healthy...McNair has the veteran savvy that Brad has PLUS when healthy he has the superior skills to win games on his own. No dis on Brad...but I really would LOVE to have McNair for just one season...he would definitely shine in our offense!

Gift
01-05-2006, 10:52 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

I don't think putting Daunte on a short leash will help his game at all. He struggled this year because he was expected to do big things and was trying to do to much with the ball, forcing throws and such. The added pressure of the chance to be benched if he has a bad game will likely cause him to play the same way. No offense intended, but I don't think I could disagree more with this line of thought. This is the NFL, we pay big money for big players. We need people that thrive under pressure, not crumble. There is alot of pressure making it to the playoffs, there is more pressure get to the NFC championship, even more pressure to win & then theres the superbowl. Players that cant handle pressure have no business in the NFL. I say start the best man.

EDIT - I'm not saying C-pep would crumble under pressure, I'm just saying no player should get that kind of pass.

Tanner_QBRB8
01-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah and the best man for us is Daunte Culpepper I really like Brad but he is just too old and i dont know if he could go a whole season

stjmnsota
01-05-2006, 11:12 PM
"Tanner_QBRB8" wrote:

Yeah and the best man for us is Daunte Culpepper I really like Brad but he is just too old and i dont know if he could go a whole season
Brad has as good of a chance, if not better chance, to play a whole season as Duante. And if the coaches would have done their jobs this year, Daunte wouldn't have played as many as he did.

Gift
01-05-2006, 11:20 PM
"Tanner_QBRB8" wrote:

Yeah and the best man for us is Daunte CulpepperProblem with that is it is an opinion, I would rather it be based on result/wins.

BirdHunter
01-05-2006, 11:21 PM
"stjmnsota" wrote:

"Tanner_QBRB8" wrote:

Brad has as good of a chance, if not better chance, to play a whole season as Duante. And if the coaches would have done their jobs this year, Daunte wouldn't have played as many as he did.

I agree, Daute did not have any consistancy this year. It seemed that he lost all confidence if he was pressured at all. He made alot of poor discissions and overall just sucked. I don't believe it was a coinsidence that the Vikes were 7-2 with BJ and 2-5 with CP. IMO

MrGopher16
01-05-2006, 11:45 PM
You guys seem to forget the real cause of all these troubles. First of all we were playing more skilled teams at the beginning under daunte than we were when brad was playing. This was also when we were having our most serious o-line issues. Daunte was getting hit or hurried MOMENTS after taking the snap. I don't care who you are or what kind of quarterback you are, under those circumstances the chances of succeeding are zero. Daunte had no chance to do ANYTHING. Who can have any confidence dealing with that or consistency when you don't get a chance to show anything?

stjmnsota
01-06-2006, 12:02 AM
"MrGopher16" wrote:

You guys seem to forget the real cause of all these troubles. First of all we were playing more skilled teams at the beginning under daunte than we were when brad was playing. This was also when we were having our most serious o-line issues. Daunte was getting hit or hurried MOMENTS after taking the snap. I don't care who you are or what kind of quarterback you are, under those circumstances the chances of succeeding are zero. Daunte had no chance to do ANYTHING. Who can have any confidence dealing with that or consistency when you don't get a chance to show anything?
I disagree. Much of the pressure Daunte got was of his own making. He held the ball too long, moved out of the pocket to quickly and was slow to make decisions. How can the O-line get any consistency if they don't know where the QB is? DC would slide right into the blocking lanes. I'm not saying the o-line didn't have issues, but DC didn't help that. Brad came in and made quick decisions and stayed in the pocket. What a better way to build confindence and consistency in an o-line. And IMO, this hasn't been a problem for DC this year only. He has always been this way. Brad still got a lot of pressure at times, but he made smart plays. i.e Giants game. Didn't turn the ball over and moved the ball when he could. I believe the Vikes would have been buried that game if DC was playing.

Del Rio
01-06-2006, 12:06 AM
I blame the coaches myself for Dauntes poor play. I think they were trying to get him to throw the long ball, to do what he used to do.

I think if they would have toned the offense down he would have thrived and the rest would have come around.

I don't think Brad is better he was just put in a better situation.

We all have our excuses but the records speak for themselves. Luckily for us we are getting a fresh start with a new staff and it should be a time for excitement not fighting.

MrGopher16
01-06-2006, 12:16 AM
"stjmnsota" wrote:

"MrGopher16" wrote:

I disagree. Much of the pressure Daunte got was of his own making. He held the ball too long, moved out of the pocket to quickly and was slow to make decisions. How can the O-line get any consistency if they don't know where the QB is? DC would slide right into the blocking lanes. I'm not saying the o-line didn't have issues, but DC didn't help that. Brad came in and made quick decisions and stayed in the pocket. What a better way to build confindence and consistency in an o-line. And IMO, this hasn't been a problem for DC this year only. He has always been this way. Brad still got a lot of pressure at times, but he made smart plays. i.e Giants game. Didn't turn the ball over and moved the ball when he could. I believe the Vikes would have been buried that game if DC was playing.

Brad and the offense did nothing in the game against the giants, i hope after that they brought the defense and special teams to dinner for winning that game for them. The only reason Daunte held on to the ball and scrambled was because he was being chased right away. Look at the game footage you can't argue with it. Daunte is a playmaker and he did not want to get sacked every play. He tried to get things done for us, but unfortunately for him our line made it impossible for him. His INT's were obviously a cause of getting rushed and throwing to avoid the sack, but nobody wants to end up like David Carr in houston. And even still he was a close second to him before he was injured. Daunte is a great QB and an excellent playmaker, give him a good o-line and we'll see the same daunte who threw for the most yards in the NFL last year.

SmootCriminal
01-06-2006, 12:18 AM
i would like to remind everyone that brad is ancient, and he doesnt have the strong arm that daunte has, or the mobility, and decisionmaking is something that a coach should be able to teach a QB not some inane ability in the player.

cajunvike
01-06-2006, 12:21 AM
If we DO keep Daunte, then bring in McNair and let him and Brad duke it out for the starter's spot this season, the loser gets to be the backup...keep Daunte out of uniform until next season...that way he is fully healed and can make his comeback.

midgensa
01-06-2006, 12:21 AM
I would not mind us trading BJ if we can get third or fourth round compensation and have some idea for another back up ... but I would prefer us tell him "tough sh1t" honestly.
He signed a contract to be a back up and he is here if we don't cut or trade him ... so keep him as VERY reliable insurance. We are not sure when D.C. will be able to play and even less sure of what kind of a D.C. we will get whenever that is. I love BJ and know that he could start for many teams ... but this is a business ... and the business side of it says he is FAR too valuable on my bench or starting the beginning of next season for me.

SmootCriminal
01-06-2006, 12:26 AM
i am confused, are people saying we should get rid of daunte, and have brad johnson as a starter for one year, or however long his heath lasts and then fall back on who? Shaun Hill, or a brand new rookie who will take at least 2-3 years to break in, that is brilliant when looking at the longterm state of the franchise. but i guess if you want to have a fringe playoff season again next year and then be a cellar dwellar for many years to come we could do that.

whiteboy
01-06-2006, 12:31 AM
"MrGopher16" wrote:

here here! lets not also forget the come from behind victory against gb, the win against no, and when we were drivin the ball in carolina's terroritory. i really, really think that the outcome of that game would've been a lot different had cpep not been hurt.

napo58
01-06-2006, 12:31 AM
if dauntes healthy, than brad can get out of town. We should take a look at a number 2 qb in free agency or the draft.

VikingsTw
01-06-2006, 12:34 AM
I think its unlikely, very unlikely pepp will be ready antime soon for next year. Brad's under contract, we need to let him know the situation with daunte and that more then likely he will be the start at the beginning of the season and its his job to either win and keep his job or loose games and loose his job. It really dont matter how much we're paying daunted to play, we payed smoot and he sat alot cause other players outplayed him after he got back from injury. You shouldn't consider money in this situation. Consider doing what it takes to win games.

Klinny had one torn ACL at the beginning of last year and he BARLY made it back for camps, Daunte tore 3, some consider this career threatening, if he comes back its not gonna be for awhile. Brad will be starting for us next season and i got no problem with it. If we fix the oline for brad it could be just as dangerous, and no more of this weak arm thing, he can get the ball downfield, not like daunte but he does a pretty good job when they ask him.

midgensa
01-06-2006, 12:39 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

If we DO keep Daunte, then bring in McNair and let him and Brad duke it out for the starter's spot this season, the loser gets to be the backup...keep Daunte out of uniform until next season...that way he is fully healed and can make his comeback.

Would you get over this crazy McNair scenario ... it just never will happen ... although it does sound kind of nice.

MrGopher16
01-06-2006, 12:41 AM
In the long run i can see this becoming a positive thing for the vikings. It's entirely likely that this will eliminate daunte's scrambling altogether. While this is always exciting to watch, a scrambling QB is not always best. Look at the playoffs right now, those QB's together have an average of 4 yards per game rushing. A pocket passer is what wins you championships and i think that after daunte returns, this will be the kind of QB he will be.

midgensa
"vikingstw" wrote:

I think its unlikely, very unlikely pepp will be ready antime soon for next year. Brad's under contract, we need to let him know the situation with daunte and that more then likely he will be the start at the beginning of the season and its his job to either win and keep his job or loose games and loose his job. It really dont matter how much we're paying daunted to play, we payed smoot and he sat alot cause other players outplayed him after he got back from injury. You shouldn't consider money in this situation. Consider doing what it takes to win games.

Klinny had one torn ACL at the beginning of last year and he BARLY made it back for camps, Daunte tore 3, some consider this career threatening, if he comes back its not gonna be for awhile. Brad will be starting for us next season and i got no problem with it. If we fix the oline for brad it could be just as dangerous, and no more of this weak arm thing, he can get the ball downfield, not like daunte but he does a pretty good job when they ask him.

Noone has ever torn three ACL's :lol: Yes Daunte's injury is severe, but it also has been reported to not be nearly as bad as McGahee's and a couple of others (McGahee being the prime example). Daunte making a recovery and being ready to go in time for camp is not even impossible, though highly unlikely ... I would not be totally against sitting him next season ... but if doctors say he can go and he is ready to go there is no reason to continue holding him out.

Redemption
All you people were the biggest DC fans when he was runnerup to MVP last season. Now he struggled at the beginning when we played tough teams (teams Brad would have lost to just as bad) and our entire team sucked (not because of C-Pep). He gets hurt and people start hopping on the Brad banwagon.

C-Pep is our franchise player. He is our Manning, our Alexander, our McNabb. If he struggles, he gets another chance. If he struggles again, he gets another chance. Not like anyone would take the risk of trading for him a player of equal value.

ultravikingfan
01-06-2006, 12:42 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

McNair would be a pricey back-up. We can spend that money elsewhere.

Ltrey33
01-06-2006, 12:44 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

I agree Ultra. McNair would take mucho dinero.

Mr. Purple
01-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Mcnair? wha wha whaaaaat? The only QB we should bring in this offseason is a Young Gun with potential.

collegeguyjeff
01-06-2006, 12:47 AM
maybe we can trade him back to washington again for their first round pick again?

whiteboy
01-06-2006, 12:49 AM
"Redemption" wrote:

All you people were the biggest DC fans when he was runnerup to MVP last season. Now he struggled at the beginning when we played tough teams (teams Brad would have lost to just as bad) and our entire team sucked (not because of C-Pep). He gets hurt and people start hopping on the Brad banwagon.

C-Pep is our franchise player. He is our Manning, our Alexander, our McNabb. If he struggles, he gets another chance. If he struggles again, he gets another chance. Not like anyone would take the risk of trading for him a player of equal value.

here here!

SmootCriminal
01-06-2006, 12:54 AM
yeah, if we are going with a vetran then why not go with brad, but we will eventually need a younger person, be it daunte or a rookie, so why not keep daunte, he has experience

ItalianStallion
01-06-2006, 01:00 AM
lol, let's trade Brad :)

midgensa
01-06-2006, 01:08 AM
"Redemption" wrote:

I do think a lot of people on here flip-flop on the issue, but there is definitely a distinct line. Most of the Daunte haters were/are Randy lovers and think that Daunte's lack of performance shows that Moss was everything ... which I don't agree with, but am not naive enough to totally write off. By the way if Moss was the only reason Daunte was good what happened to Kerry this year?
On the other side of the line you have the blind faith Daunte lovers (which I tend to fall as more often than not) despite the fact that he obviously struggled at key points in his career, especially this season ... only want to talk about his three pro bowl seasons and expect him to be unflappable when it comes back.
The truth is everything falls somewhere in the middle. Daunte was not nearly as bad this season as people make him out to be ... he was 2-5 against opponents that were a combined 59-53 games while B.J. was 7-2 against teams that were 65-79 games. Daunte's stats were ATROCIOUS against Tampa, Cincinnatti and Chicago and very good against N.O. and G.B. while falling somwehere in the middle against Atlanta and Carolina.
It should be Daunte's job to lose ... but it should be losable ...
No matter which side of the line you fall on (and most make it pretty clear though some try to stay level-headed) you have to realize that having BJ is an very valuable asset that we need to keep. You also have to realize that if Daunte is healthy and ready to go he WILL be given the reins and we should hope that his rocket arm and solid accuracy is finally met with complete poise and self-control.

cajunvike
01-06-2006, 01:10 AM
"ltrey33" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

I agree Ultra. McNair would take mucho dinero.

What does McNair need with more money...he wants a championship...and he WON'T get it with the Titans...they are way over the cap and in rebuilding mode...Fisher should bail on them too and come coach us! McNair would probably take a lot less to play for a team that has a chance at the Super Bowl (us) than he would to play for a loser like Tennessee. It makes tons of sense...for all involved!

Prophet
01-06-2006, 01:14 AM
"Redemption" wrote:

...C-Pep is our franchise player. He is our Manning, our Alexander, our McNabb. If he struggles, he gets another chance. If he struggles again, he gets another chance...

That is the bottom-line. When Culpepper is healthy it is his job. He is the franchise QB at this point in time.

Brad Johnson was hired as the backup and did his job well.

Nothing too complicated here.

It makes sense that Brad wants to start somewhere, because there are clubs that need a QB to tide them over and help the rookies develop. He is putting out the feelers because he increased his value by turning the Vikings around this year. If he holds the course and stays put without holding out everything will be fine. We'll have a decent QB while Cpep is on the mend. If he bolts then we will have to acquire a veteran backup until Cpep is healthy.

As we all know, things can change quickly in a day. Nobody will know Culpeppers status for many months. Many agree that we need O-line and LB help as a priority. That may change too depending on what transpires in the days to come.

The Vikes will be fine. There is at least a potential of them rising from the ashes now that there is an owner that is attempting to demand excellence from his employees. I just hope the team chemistry with all the new coaches works out and it is received by the players. If it is, all is well in the world of purple shades.

singersp
01-06-2006, 01:22 AM
"grpape" wrote:

Rember, it is a business, and $6 mil in March will weigh heavily in the decision (sadly).

No it won't. Zygi already said he will pay it next March. If he is a man of his word, the 6 Mil is already a done deal.

DaunteHOF
01-06-2006, 05:39 AM
NOOOOO! Daunte is our QB!

Gift
01-06-2006, 06:41 AM
my only problem with daunte fans is that alot seem dead set against any competition. If he is as great as people say, why even be concerened? Again, start the guy who gets us wins, who ever that may be.

modena11
01-06-2006, 08:51 AM
of course brad wants to start. tell me what QB in the league wouldnt want to start.

and in all fairness to brad, let him browse the market for a trade, but in all honesty who wants a 37 year old starting QB. unless your a rebuilding team like the browns and are going to show a younger QB the ropes. for brad johnson the vikings would be lucky to get a 6th round draft pick.

i think brad has a good thing going on here in minnesota and i hope this is all just speculation. in terms of a starting QB he is average, in terms of a backup he is a premier in the league. very integral part to a team that has aspirations of the super bowl.

without a doubt in my mind, when daunte recovers, if brad is still around, he will head back to the bench. i know the vikings will make it clear to brad that this will happen. it just depends on if he wants to stay.

sabatajh
01-06-2006, 10:02 AM
THIS IS DANTE'S team so bye brad thanks for the breif stay!

MrGopher16
01-06-2006, 10:18 AM
yeah it's his team and he'll be given the starting job when he's healthy enough to take it.

audioghost
01-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Well, Brad can start...till Daunte gets back...then he can sit his azz back down on the bench where he signed his 4-year contract to sit...he knew that he would be a second stringer when he signed...sucks for Brad, if he wanted to start he shouldn't have signed with the Vikes....he can startin 3 years when his contracts up and he's 40....

Redrouster
01-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have an update on Dante's progess with his injury? Is he scheduled to come back towards the beginning of the year?

MrGopher16
01-06-2006, 11:40 AM
That's a good question i would like to know how he's doing as well.

UndisputedVike
01-06-2006, 11:48 AM
In this buisness it's what have you done for me lately, IF Culpepper looks bad in camp, Start Brad, If they both look good (which is unlikely), Start Brad.

Culpepper needs about another years rest on that knee injury I don't think anyone has grasped the concept of how bad all three ligaments being TORN is, He thought that little ache in his knee was affecting him before wait until he drops back once on a completely repaired knee.

So yeah he needs another year to rest up heal up and get used to the way he will have to play on his knee.

hailtocarter
01-06-2006, 11:57 AM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

In this buisness it's what have you done for me lately, IF Culpepper looks bad in camp, Start Brad, If they both look good (which is unlikely), Start Brad.

Culpepper needs about another years rest on that knee injury I don't think anyone has grasped the concept of how bad all three ligaments being TORN is, He thought that little ache in his knee was affecting him before wait until he drops back once on a completely repaired knee.

So yeah he needs another year to rest up heal up and get used to the way he will have to play on his knee.

AGREED! Brad's 7-2, it's his job to lose as far as I'm concerned, let Pepp prove he deserves the starting job, just letting Pepp back in there when he's healthy sends a very bad message to the team about "the best players will play" IMO. I guess we'll see what happens...

Prophet
01-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Posted on Thu, Jan. 05, 2006
Johnson wants to remain starter for Vikings
Link (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13559652.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp)
BY DON SEEHOLZER
St. Paul Pioneer Press

ST. PAUL, Minn. - After leading the Vikings to a 7-2 record in their last nine games this season, Brad Johnson believes he has proved he should remain a starting NFL quarterback.

Johnson also has made those feelings known to the Vikings, but his agent, Phil Williams, said the quarterback hasn't demanded to be traded if he doesn't remain the starter.

"I don't know exactly what was said, but I know Brad's never used those words," Williams said Thursday. "He wants to be a starter, no question, and he should be. There's nothing more to it than that."

Williams confirmed that Johnson talked with Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski but said he was unaware of exactly what was said.

"I'm sure whatever conversation there was centered around the fact that he wants to be a starter," Williams said. "Common sense says that."

Brzezinski declined comment, as did Johnson, through Williams.

With three years remaining on the four-year contract he signed last offseason, Johnson's future is in the hands of the Vikings, whether he returns as the starter or backup.

Johnson got his starting opportunity when Daunte Culpepper tore three ligaments in his right knee in an Oct. 30 loss at Carolina, but Vikings officials are optimistic Culpepper will be ready for the start of the 2006 season.

That could make it impossible to promise a starting job to Johnson, 37, but Williams said they aren't asking for a trade and that he has had no discussions with the Vikings about reworking Johnson's contract.

Williams said Johnson believes he has three or four more years of football left in him and that the situation will sort itself out.

"Look at Brad Johnson's history," Williams said. "Nothing's ever been easy for Brad. Brad has proven he's a starting NFL quarterback who still has it."

Johnson, 69-46 as an NFL starting quarterback, led the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to a Super Bowl title in 2003.

SamDawg84
01-06-2006, 02:53 PM
brad wants to start, but he will be the back up. just like wat del posted above

stjmnsota
01-06-2006, 05:22 PM
"MrGopher16" wrote:

"stjmnsota" wrote:

"MrGopher16" wrote:

Brad and the offense did nothing in the game against the giants, i hope after that they brought the defense and special teams to dinner for winning that game for them. The only reason Daunte held on to the ball and scrambled was because he was being chased right away. Look at the game footage you can't argue with it. Daunte is a playmaker and he did not want to get sacked every play. He tried to get things done for us, but unfortunately for him our line made it impossible for him. His INT's were obviously a cause of getting rushed and throwing to avoid the sack, but nobody wants to end up like David Carr in houston. And even still he was a close second to him before he was injured. Daunte is a great QB and an excellent playmaker, give him a good o-line and we'll see the same daunte who threw for the most yards in the NFL last year.
In the Giants game, Brad did everything Daunte couldn't. He DIDN"T turn the ball over. That is what won the game. And when the time came to drive the ball, Brad did it very efficiently. TRUE TEAM PLAYER THAT BRAD JOHNSON. Knows he can't win the game himself. I agree, Daunte is a heck of an athlete. But he has been around long enough to get smart. I actually am sceptical of any running QB for the long haul. So no necessarily a knock on DC alone.

Del Rio
01-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Not that I am arguing or even care about this issue of Dante Vs. Johnson

But saying his scrambling and interceptions were the result of immediate and constant pressure is inaccurate. Many times there was a pocket and 6-7 seconds. It's all in the games so if anyone does rewatch them like Gopher suggested I think you will see it's not that easy of an explanation.

He was holding the ball too long, he was making poor decisions, I don't know if it was him making them or the coaching staff.

Either way the protection didn't get magically better over the course of the season. The staff changed our game plan to not abandon the run. Couple that with Brads ability to stay in the pocket and hit his quick routes that is why he did better.

Tice and Co. never went Max pro with Dante. When they abandoned the run it was a free for all for the defense to attack. Instead of forming the offense up in Max protect and focusing on the first downs the coaches were still trying to get that 40+ yard pass.

Many many things contribute to the success Brad had where Dante failed. The offensive line while inconsistent was pretty much the same all year in terms of protection. Not great and not horrible.

mfenlon
01-06-2006, 05:53 PM
I say start BJ!! Trade CP for a O-lineman
and a RB.
Not many athletes bounce back
to 100% after blowing all three legamants
in their knees. Just a fact!!
If CP can't run we are screwed!

meecorp
01-06-2006, 06:47 PM
They made the same mistake back when Randy Cunningham and Brad Johnson were here. Instead of bringing Brad back as the starter and keeping Randal as a capable back-up, they let the wrong guy go and kept the back-up with a few years left as the starter. Next year Randal did a toilet swirl and we have no Johnson. Big mistake, I think.

I feel that we get things back to normal. DC was not to blame for all of our woes. This is a team and the team has to play good in al aspects. If DC throws an INT then the defense needs to rise up. If we're behind in the fourth then the O has to fight back and take the lead.

Brad WAS a starter, but let's face the facts. In all of his wins we never faced a high caliber defense. The minute we did, his numbers and performance dropped. Even in the wins his numbers were never impressive. They were enough to win and the defense helped his cause
but it all fell apart when a good defense stood up.

Put a healthy DC back in with Brad in the wings and shore up our defense

That's the ticket

meecorp
01-06-2006, 06:54 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

Well, Brad can start...till Daunte gets back...then he can sit his silliness back down on the bench where he signed his 4-year contract to sit...he knew that he would be a second stringer when he signed...sucks for Brad, if he wanted to start he shouldn't have signed with the Vikes....he can startin 3 years when his contracts up and he's 40....

I agree

When the starter is healthy...bam your the back-up again

That's what makes him a good back-up...he can fill in

Good back-ups yearn to play, so when they get the chance they soar

Give them the reins and they don't always produce

I like Brad...keep him but put him in his place

V4L
01-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Pep played some awesome D's and was getting used to the new system..

Brad played horrible D's and when he played good ones his play dropped..

Also the D started playing good when Brad came in

Del Rio
01-06-2006, 06:57 PM
I guarantee that will not happen.

If Brad wants out they will let him go.

Contracts are a one way street so pulling this macho "you signed the deal you do the time" bullshit just doesn't fly. Owners and teams very rarely honor a contract. Players NEVER see the total time and ammount of cash that they agreed upon. That is why the search for a signing bonus in the NFL is so big.

If Brad is unhappy (AND he didnt say he was) or he wants out (and he didnt say he does) then the Vikings make it happen.

NodakPaul
01-06-2006, 09:04 PM
"mfenlon" wrote:

and a RB.

No way. meecorp said it best - let's learn from history and not make the same mistake we made when we let Brad go the first time. DC is our starter. Despite his poor preformance this year, he is still a very capable QB (how quickly we forget the 04-05 stats...). Add to that mix a head coach who has a good history of working with QBs, and we have the makings of a powerful offense in 06!

Brad is a very capable backup, and if he wants to br traded, then allow him to explore that opportunity. I understand his viewpoint. The Vikes would be in good shape if he stays here, and could also get some value out of a trade too. Either way it is a winning situation for us!

Vikes
01-06-2006, 09:10 PM
"mfenlon" wrote:

and a RB.

You know I'm tempted to want to dump PEP. But you need a decent backup Brad and PEP would be a heck of a combo.

Also listening to ESPN they are talking about the future of the mobile Vick Style QB and they are saying it will be shutdown within the next four years. It was really a discussion about Vince Young. But the bottom line is they are talking about how Vicks numbers declined this year,Mc Nabb, and PEP. How being this mobile and taking that one good shot is starting to have coachs rethink this QB/RB postion. AKA 'SLASH postion"

Gift
01-06-2006, 09:40 PM
I think if brad stays and c-pep starts & starts out slow things could get real ugly around here. Should be intresting to see how it all plays out.

snowinapril
01-06-2006, 09:48 PM
"Gift" wrote:

I think if brad stays and c-pep starts & starts out slow things could get real ugly around here. Should be intresting to see how it all plays out.

It might be smart to just tell Johnson that he will "more than likely" be the starter and let DC ease back into it. We can win with Brad and it puts less pressure on DC to have to get back. I would rather have some pressure on DC to mentally prepare to learn the offense this summer.

I know that BJ doesn't want to lose his starting job, but he has to realize that he is important here.

BBQ Platypus
01-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Brad just dropped quite a few points in my book. I thought he was about more than that. Now he's acting like a typical backup, valuing his own career over his team. MAYBE you could argue that he has every right to do this because his career is nearing its end, but if this is the case, why did he sign with the Vikings in the first place? He KNEW he would be a backup when he signed with Minnesota. If he wanted to be a starter, why didn't he sign with a team that would have made him a starter?

Real smooth, Brad. Way to pull a Brian Williams. Keep it up and you'll get your wish. With another team.

(It's too bad, because I'd hate to see you go).

Del Rio
01-06-2006, 09:53 PM
"Johnson's agent, Phil Williams, did not deny the fact his client wants to start but disputes the fact a trade demand was made. "It is more complicated than that," Williams said."

I think you need to calm down and read a little bit more. If he didn't want to start something would be wrong with him.

I also find it amusing that someone can promote Kevin Williams who hits women, and take a shot at Brian Williams for skipping a voluntary camp after the team basically wipped their ass on his contract.

To each their own

snowinapril
01-06-2006, 09:55 PM
"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

Brad just dropped quite a few points in my book. I thought he was about more than that. Now he's acting like a typical backup, valuing his own career over his team. MAYBE you could argue that he has every right to do this because his career is nearing its end, but if this is the case, why did he sign with the Vikings in the first place? He KNEW he would be a backup when he signed with Minnesota. If he wanted to be a starter, why didn't he sign with a team that would have made him a starter?

Real smooth, Brad. Way to pull a Brian Williams. Keep it up and you'll get your wish. With another team.

(It's too bad, because I'd hate to see you go).

That is how I feel too. He signed a multi year deal, not a one year tender. I could see if he had to win a SB, or if he had pad his stats because he was close to being at the top of the yardage plateau, but he is not near any of those accomplishments. He has the SB ring.

But, to his credit, he has proven he can still start. It was a great gesture and took a lot of swallowing of pride for him to come back to MN to back up the guy that he was ousted for.

Poor Brad always seems to be the Bridesmaid and never the Bride, except for the SB ring and the Redskin years.

NordicNed
01-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Brad proved two things to me this year,

One, he is a solid backup......

Two, he does lack a couple of things you would want to find in an elite starting QB......one being mobility...

Personaly, I'de hat to see him go........But if someone was willing to give him a starting job in the NFL......God bless him and good luck..

I'de hate to see him go, but hey, Brad has to do what he feels is best for him....Not what I'de hope he'd do for us...

If PeP comes back healthy and ready to play we have to go that way........He is still our QB of the future if you ask me....

Ltrey33
01-06-2006, 10:20 PM
"mfenlon" wrote:

and a RB.

Right, but using that line of thinking, who is going to trade anything of decent value for a guy who blew three knee ligaments?

ChezPizmo
01-07-2006, 01:41 AM
I think it would be smart for Brad to start while Culpepper is building his way back to 100%. But we would have to have something ready to fall back on, because like it was said, Brad doesn't have too many years left in him.

SmootCriminal
01-07-2006, 02:14 AM
"ChezPizmo" wrote:

I think it would be smart for Brad to start while Culpepper is building his way back to 100%. But we would have to have something ready to fall back on, because like it was said, Brad doesn't have too many years left in him.

i agree

kramer9guy
01-07-2006, 02:31 AM
IMO...

Brad has earned a starting spot somewhere through his play on the field this last season. He has proven he can still play but doesn't have too many years left.

Daunte is a premier QB in the NFL and he has proven that in the past. He had a bad season before the injury. But, he deserves a chance to prove himself again after the injury heals.

I say, since there is no guarantee when Daunte will be back 100% if at all, let the best and most prepared player start next season (which will probably be Brad since Daunte will be getting a late start after the injury). See how the season progresses and make a change if needed. But then also draft a QB this coming draft (Jay Cutler would be cool but not probable) to learn the system behind the two QB's. And then, the young guy would be able to fight for the starting spot or be a reliable backup himself in 2007 or 2008 (when Brad will more than likely retire).

RK.
01-07-2006, 02:43 AM
Childress has said that he is going to run some form of the west coast offense. If CP doesn't learn how to read defenses quickly and get rid of the ball he is not going to be playing in MN. BJ on the other hand already understands the west coast offense and showed this year that he can still get it done. BJ has maybe two years left to play. I don't blame him for wanting to start. CP is going to have to win the starting job IMO. Childress is a great QB coach and if anyone can teach CP what he needs to know its Childress. The question is how good a student will CP be. He isn't going to start just because he is Daunte IMO.

NordicNed
01-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Like I said earlier,

I would like to see Johnson stay around for another year, more than likely he would start the season for us, and if, just if we where winning and winning big, I'de think it would be hard to pull him just to have PEP start..

One thing we have to remember, the NFL is still a buisness, and PEP's name still is a bigger seller than Johnsons is....

But I still wish the best for both Johnson and PeP....

If Johnson does leave, I hope it's to someone who wants him to be their starter....He deserves that much....

RK.
01-07-2006, 03:50 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Like I said earlier,

I would like to see Johnson stay around for another year, more than likely he would start the season for us, and if, just if we where winning and winning big, I'de think it would be hard to pull him just to have PEP start..

One thing we have to remember, the NFL is still a buisness, and PEP's name still is a bigger seller than Johnsons is....

But I still wish the best for both Johnson and PeP....

If Johnson does leave, I hope it's to someone who wants him to be their starter....He deserves that much....
I don't think he will leave unless he is offered the starting position somewhere. I think there is a good chance he will be starting here however. I don't think it matters about Peps name being bigger. The dome will be sold out no matter who starts.

coreyd
01-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Call me crazy but I would to see us trade Pep away. I think we could get a lot for him. Brad Johnson proved that he is a quality starter for the league, so watching him sit on the bench would be disapointing. I say get rid of Pep, get a top pick, draft Young (If he decides to go for it) and let Brad work with him for a year.

Thats my dream anyway.

singersp
01-07-2006, 04:35 AM
"coreyd" wrote:

Call me crazy but I would to see us trade Pep away. I think we could get a lot for him. Brad Johnson proved that he is a quality starter for the league, so watching him sit on the bench would be disapointing. I say get rid of Pep, get a top pick, draft Young (If he decides to go for it) and let Brad work with him for a year.

Thats my dream anyway.

Childress likes DC. He was his top choice before McNabb in the draft & I think he has plans for him. :grin:

You'll just have to get used to the idea that he'll be our QB when he returns. :grin:

coreyd
01-07-2006, 04:37 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"coreyd" wrote:

Thats my dream anyway.

Childress likes DC. He was his top choice before McNabb in the draft & I think he has plans for him. :grin:

You'll just have to get used to the idea that he'll be our QB when he returns. :grin:

That sucks. I think Pep is overrated. Good athlete, but overrated.

Prophet
01-07-2006, 04:51 AM
KFFL
Vikings | Childress duscusses quarterback situation
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:22:47 -0800

Vikings.com reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress said he doesn't believe a player should lose their starting job due to an injury and that QB Daunte Culpepper (knee) is the franchise quarterback. But he did acknowledge that QB Brad Johnson won a lot of games for the Vikings during the 2005 season and that he was familiar with the system.

sleepagent
01-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Brad is a winner with a Super Bowl ring on his finger. He proved that he could do something that DC was unable to do this year . . . win!!!!!

I did some research on DC and was a bit surprised to see that DC is a loser . . . in football games that is.

2000 11-5
2001 5-11
2002 6-10
2003 7-7 (Gus Ferrotte was 2-0 in injury relief)
2004 8-8
2005 2-5 (Brad Johnson was 7-2 in injury relief)

OVERALL 39-46

Which begs the question, why don't we give Brad a run at it for a season or so. He's earned it. Lets see how far he can lead this team. DC had it for 6 years and didn't get it done. What do we stand to lose (other than another Super Bowl).

And . . . Didn't we just run a Coach out of town with a better record than 39-46 . . . who wasn't on the field playing the game???

Maybe . . . we can dump another high salary on someone else, bring in an understudy to BJ, and see what happens!!!!!!

vIker44
01-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Brad pulled the same stuff when Cunningham was here.... start me or trade me.... Vikings barely won against a string of weak teams with Brad as starter and suddenly he thinks he's Tom Brady re-incarnate.... I'll give him some credit for "hanging in there" but I give far more credit to a re-vamped and emergind offensive line plus better offensive schemes..... hey, go head to head against Pepp and may the best man win..... what's so wrong with that idea???????

Gift
01-07-2006, 09:05 AM
"sleepagent" wrote:

Brad is a winner with a Super Bowl ring on his finger. He proved that he could do something that DC was unable to do this year . . . win!!!!!

I did some research on DC and was a bit surprised to see that DC is a loser . . . in football games that is.

2000 11-5
2001 5-11
2002 6-10
2004 8-8

OVERALL 39-46

Which begs the question, why don't we give Brad a run at it for a season or so. He's earned it. Lets see how far he can lead this team. DC had it for 6 years and didn't get it done. What do we stand to lose (other than another Super Bowl).

And . . . Didn't we just run a Coach out of town with a better record than 39-46 . . . who wasn't on the field playing the game???

Maybe . . . we can dump another high salary on someone else, bring in an understudy to BJ, and see what happens!!!!!!nice one, I hope people actually let this sink in a bit.

Muggsy
01-07-2006, 09:47 AM
If it weren't for Peyton Manning's efforts in 2004, Daunte would have been da league MVP. Da defense let da team down in 2002 and 2003 with late season collapses, if youse mugs rememba. Daunte can't play both sides of da ball.

vIker44
01-07-2006, 09:54 AM
"sleepagent" wrote:

2000 11-5
2001 5-11
2002 6-10
2004 8-8

OVERALL 39-46

Maybe . . . we can dump another high salary on someone else, bring in an understudy to BJ, and see what happens!!!!!!

I'd like to point out that Brad didn't even START for the Vikings until his 5TH FREAKIN YEAR!!!!! Seems to me writing off a two time Pro-Bowl QB that lead his team to an NFCC game after his 6th season is short sighted to say the least.... keep in mind the turmoil this team has endured including the death of OT Korey Stringer that shot up that one entire season..... add the crappy job the Vikings have done shoring up the O-line and the crappy coaching by Mike Tice..... Pepp is barely getting his feet wet, dude, let's compare him to Brad when they get the same numbers of years under their belts..... my bet is Pepp smacks Brad off the field if the chicken (Brad) is willing to compete for a change..........

ChezPizmo
01-07-2006, 10:17 AM
"OldManVike" wrote:

If it weren't for Peyton Manning's efforts in 2004, Daunte would have been da league MVP. Da defense let da team down in 2002 and 2003 with late season collapses, if youse mugs rememba. Daunte can't play both sides of da ball.

Very true.

2004 stats: 4717 yards, completion pct. of 69.2, 39 TDs, 11 INTs and a QB rating of 110.9 :shock:

Very good stats. But keep in mind, football is a team sport, and everyone has to play as a team (unless your Vince young :wink: ).

Oh, and here is his total stats over the years.

Total: 20162 yards, completion pct. of 64.4, 135 TDs, 86 INTs and a QB rating of 91.5 - Not bad; nothing to shake a stick at as they say.

For complete list of stats for all years, go to ( http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133263 )

modena11
01-07-2006, 11:30 AM
"sleepagent" wrote:

2000 11-5
2001 5-11
2002 6-10
2004 8-8

OVERALL 39-46

ignorance man.

football is a team sport my friend. during all those years you stated the vikings had a top 5 or better offence. daunte got the job done on offence, it was our 28th or worse defence that really cost us any chance at success.

maybe you should do some research on the team as a whole instead of just looking at daunte.

sleepagent
01-07-2006, 05:18 PM
"sleepagent" wrote:

2000 11-5
2001 5-11
2002 6-10
2004 8-8

OVERALL 39-46

Here's Brad Johnson's Career Stats:

1995 2-1
1996 7-5
1997 8-5
1998 1-3
1999 10-6
2000 7-5
2001 9-7
2002 10-3
2003 7-9
2004 0-4
2005 7-2

OVERALL 68-50

Interesting side note - Tony Dungy wanted HIM as his QB for Tampa Bay in 2001. Tampa Won the Super Bowl the next year with BJ as QB.

The obvious point is BJ is a winner despite the 3 Organizations he's been with and deserves a shot at leading this team.

If I were Coach, I'd start BJ until he failed (several poor performances) and then put DC back in (if he's ready). He has the experience. He doesn't make as many critical mistakes as DC, and manages the game well. He's not exciting like DC, but atleast he wins.

singersp
01-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Childress noted that in 1999, when the Eagles had the No. 2 overall pick, they selected McNabb but said Culpepper was a close second.

"He fits right into all the things that we'll do," Childress said of Culpepper, who is recovering from tearing three ligaments in his right knee this season. "In talking with the doctors, I had a chance to check this out during the course of the interview where he is at with Dr. (James) Andrews. He has made significant, significant progress in just six weeks."

Childress also made clear Culpepper is the team's starter and that Johnson is the backup, a point that could ruffle Johnson.

"Daunte right now is the franchise quarterback," Childress said. "He's the guy, and we'll just leave it at that. We hope he gets well, and rehabs.

"I've always believed a guy doesn't lose his position if he gets hurt," Childress said. "But Brad Johnson is a talented guy, and he won a lot of football games for you guys this year, and I'm familiar with him, and he knows this system."

http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=289426#289426

kramer9guy
01-07-2006, 06:01 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Childress noted that in 1999, when the Eagles had the No. 2 overall pick, they selected McNabb but said Culpepper was a close second.

"He fits right into all the things that we'll do," Childress said of Culpepper, who is recovering from tearing three ligaments in his right knee this season. "In talking with the doctors, I had a chance to check this out during the course of the interview where he is at with Dr. (James) Andrews. He has made significant, significant progress in just six weeks."

Childress also made clear Culpepper is the team's starter and that Johnson is the backup, a point that could ruffle Johnson.

"Daunte right now is the franchise quarterback," Childress said. "He's the guy, and we'll just leave it at that. We hope he gets well, and rehabs.

"I've always believed a guy doesn't lose his position if he gets hurt," Childress said. "But Brad Johnson is a talented guy, and he won a lot of football games for you guys this year, and I'm familiar with him, and he knows this system."

http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=289426#289426

This is what it all comes down to. Because if not, his past role of being a franchise QB is irrelevant.

BBQ Platypus
01-07-2006, 06:10 PM
"modena11" wrote:

"sleepagent" wrote:

2000 11-5
2001 5-11
2002 6-10
2004 8-8

OVERALL 39-46

ignorance man.

football is a team sport my friend. during all those years you stated the vikings had a top 5 or better offence. daunte got the job done on offence, it was our 28th or worse defence that really cost us any chance at success.

maybe you should do some research on the team as a whole instead of just looking at daunte.

Well, it's hard for people to get the idea that a QB is all that's important out of their heads after the media has scorched it into their subconciousness in movies and quarterback-centered coverage. Personally, I'd rather have a quarterback who's a freshman in college surrounded by high-caliber NFL players than have it the other way around. This isn't saying that Daunte isn't a great quarterback. He is. But he hasn't had much of a defense to work with. When Sgt. Pepper went down, the rest of our team finally realized that Daunte can't carry the team all by himself and finally started to play at a level closer to their full potential.

sleepagent
01-07-2006, 06:59 PM
"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

"modena11" wrote:

"sleepagent" wrote:

2000 11-5
2001 5-11
2002 6-10
2004 8-8

OVERALL 39-46

ignorance man.

Well, it's hard for people to get the idea that a QB is all that's important out of their heads after the media has scorched it into their subconciousness in movies and quarterback-centered coverage. Personally, I'd rather have a quarterback who's a freshman in college surrounded by high-caliber NFL players than have it the other way around. This isn't saying that Daunte isn't a great quarterback. He is. But he hasn't had much of a defense to work with. When Sgt. Pepper went down, the rest of our team finally realized that Daunte can't carry the team all by himself and finally started to play at a level closer to their full potential.

The QB, next to the Head Coach (right or wrong) gets the most credit and the most blame for a teams success.

Didn't I just see Vince Young (a QB) beat a USC team loaded with talent and 2 Heisman Winners???? Next to solid defense, the QB is the next most important piece of the winning puzzle, followed by the O-Line, and then the glory boys (RB'S & WR'S).

Give me a solid D, a sharp QB, a powerful O-Line and I'll make any RB or Receiver look like gold.

Our D is just about there (but getting old) and how many times did DC screw things up with late game forced throws or fumbles?? I am not doubting the talent of DC, but I feel our best chance to win is with the improved D and BJ running the "O". Shore up the line and watch what happens.

damviking
01-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Calling Daunte a loser is like calling Fran a loser. Maybe Marino was a loser. Would you call Doug Williams a winner because he won a superbowl, or a flash in the pan? NOT. Do you remeber that two years ago Daunte would have been NFL MVP if not for the year that payton had. Oh yeah so far Peyton is a loser. Childress said he will use the west coast O. How better to run it then DC?
I am very happy with Childress. The best thing he could have said was " I will start with the O line". If you look back at Elways first superbowl win it was because of the o line in part. there line was anchored by two of the vikings linemen we should have kept. Same thing with johnsons Superbowl win. TB line had Two viking Linemen we should have kept.
I think its about time we get and keep a good O line. If Childress can do this I beleive either Qb can be a winner!

vIker44
01-07-2006, 08:58 PM
"sleepagent" wrote:

"sleepagent" wrote:

2000 11-5
2001 5-11
2002 6-10
2004 8-8

OVERALL 39-46

Here's Brad Johnson's Career Stats:

1995 2-1
1996 7-5
1997 8-5
1998 1-3
1999 10-6
2000 7-5
2001 9-7
2002 10-3
2003 7-9
2004 0-4
2005 7-2

OVERALL 68-50

Interesting side note - Tony Dungy wanted HIM as his QB for Tampa Bay in 2001. Tampa Won the Super Bowl the next year with BJ as QB.

The obvious point is BJ is a winner despite the 3 Organizations he's been with and deserves a shot at leading this team.

If I were Coach, I'd start BJ until he failed (several poor performances) and then put DC back in (if he's ready). He has the experience. He doesn't make as many critical mistakes as DC, and manages the game well. He's not exciting like DC, but atleast he wins.

So the fact that Tampa Bay had one of the greatest defenses in history had nothing to do with that Super Bowl win??? In 04 Pepp put up world beater numbers with one of the worst defenses and worst coaches in the league... we backed into the playoffs went up to Lamebo field and smacked duh pack..... I would have loved to put BJ in those exact circumstances and seen how he would have survived..... Look, all the credit in the world to BJ for barely beating a string of weak teams this past season..... but anyone that truely believes he's the future of the Vikings really needs to have their head examined...... whew, this is some mind blowingly debating going on in this forum..... wow.............

sleepagent
01-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Can Culpepper Adapt Quickly?

Daunte Culpepper By John Holler

Date: Jan 8, 2006

With a new head coach and a new offense to learn, the question of the offseason will surround the progress of quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Will he recover from surgery to repair three torn ligaments in his knee on time to even start the season, and if so can he really get up to speed with a new offense without practicing in the offseason workouts? It could be dicey. Then again, what’s a Vikings offseason without a little controversy, right?

One of the first questions Vikings head coach Brad Childress was asked at his introductory press conference Friday was if he was going to bring the West Coast offense to the Vikings. He danced around the question, which was repeated in different forms almost a half-dozen times, but it seems clear that if Childress is the head coach and intends to do most, if not all, of the play-calling, that at least some variation of the WCO will be instituted in Minnesota.

At first blush, that looks like a big advantage for someone like Brad Johnson, who played with a WCO in Tampa Bay under Jon Gruden. He knows the terminology and how the West Coast system varies from that of the Vikings. The ultimate test will be how Daunte Culpepper reacts to the change.

Culpepper has never played in a West Coast offense, which uses the short passing game as its staple and gets both running backs and tight ends significantly involved in the offense. The offense that Vikings have run since Dennis Green became the head coach and Brian Billick ran the offense has been viewed by most as a hybrid of the offense that Joe Gibbs popularized in the 1980s – a combination of a power running game behind a huge offensive line and the deep strike capability that can create big plays.

The success of the WCO is predicated on sustaining long drives and picking up yardage in chunks of five or 10 yards – not the 50-yard bomb. If Culpepper is to succeed in the system, he can begin his preparation now while he’s still rehabbing – learning the new terminology and check-down rotations. In the old Vikings system, Culpepper operated in an offense that was known for its quick-strike capability and liberal use of the deep ball. Some quarterbacks have never thrived in a WCO – struggling to be as patient as the offense requires.

If Culpepper can adapt quickly to the changes that the likely switch to a modified WCO will produce, he could quickly return to Pro Bowl form. If he balks at the notion or struggles in it, Childress may have to ask himself if the Vikings are better off staying with what has worked for them for more than a decade or make the switch to a system Childress is the most comfortable overseeing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's interesting to see the Childress doesn't appear to be interested in building a system around the Franchise QB, but instead put in a system that he & BJ are very familiar with. If DC doesn't use his rehab time to study and/or can make the conversion . . . so much for our Franchise QB and the face of the Vikes!

xvikingfan
01-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Vikes would be in the playoffs this weekend if Johnson started this season.He doesn't want to watch Culpepper go 1-5 next year and then try to salvage the season again.Culpepper looked lost this year.He still can't read defenses and comming off an injury and learning a new offense is a disaster just waiting to happen.If Vikes must keep him,I say let him heal fully and watch Johnson adjust to the new offense.He can heal fully and learn the new O at the same time.

IL-Vike
01-08-2006, 09:34 PM

I agree with you entirely. I think the drama that will unfold in the Vikings' near future will be very interesting.

NodakPaul
01-08-2006, 09:47 PM
"xvikingfan" wrote:

Vikes would be in the playoffs this weekend if Johnson started this season.

I highly doubt it. We could also say that the Vikes would have been in the playoffs if Brad had preformed better against Pittsburg or Baltimore. The only winning team the we beat with Brad at the helm was New York, and lets face it. The offense WASN'T the reason we won that game. I am ready to see DC as the starting QB providing his knee is healthy.

singersp
01-08-2006, 09:55 PM
"xvikingfan" wrote:

Vikes would be in the playoffs this weekend if Johnson started this season.He doesn't want to watch Culpepper go 1-5 next year and then try to salvage the season again.Culpepper looked lost this year.He still can't read defenses and comming off an injury and learning a new offense is a disaster just waiting to happen.If Vikes must keep him,I say let him heal fully and watch Johnson adjust to the new offense.He can heal fully and learn the new O at the same time.

I doubt it. But had we had a decent OC & DC, we very well could have been.

That would have allowed Loney to be able to dedicate 100% of his time to the O-Line.

ChezPizmo
01-08-2006, 09:59 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"xvikingfan" wrote:

That would have allowed Loney to be able to dedicate 100% of his time to the O-Line.

Yeah, I don't know what went wrong with Mr. DC this year, he looked like a rookie. While Brad was very good, I don't know if I can go all the way to saying he would take us to the Playoffs.. though it is possible.

singersp
01-08-2006, 10:02 PM
"ChezPizmo" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"xvikingfan" wrote:

Yeah, I don't know what went wrong with Mr. DC this year, he looked like a rookie. While Brad was very good, I don't know if I can go all the way to saying he would take us to the Playoffs.. though it is possible.

I was refering to the defensive coordinator, not C-Pep. :lol: