PDA

View Full Version : Wilf defends move...

cajunvike
01-03-2006, 07:32 AM
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/158951.html

Horsesh!t!!!

Still a classless move no matter what he says!

He will spend whatever it takes to get HIMSELF a championship??? What about the fans? Seems pretty selfish to me...just more proof that he doesn't have much PR savvy as an owner...he needs to hire someone to put better words in his mouth.

happy camper
01-03-2006, 08:04 AM
probably reading into it too much with the "myself" part.

hailtocarter
01-03-2006, 08:05 AM
I agree he needs to be more careful about the things he says or how he says them, but I still think he has very good intentions and truly wants the team to succeed. Seems like maybe he's just not used to being in the media spotlight and it will take him some time to get used to it.

NordicNed
01-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Cajun,

We had just returned to the Super 8 Motel from the game and Singer, his daughter and her boyfriend and I went up to my room..

My key card wouldn't work, so I ran back downstairs to the front dest to have it activated..

Just then this guy walks in and says to me, Tice was just Fired, I almost thought it was a joke for a minute....But he was dead serious and it really shocked me..

Went back to the room and put on the radio, and sure enough, it's all they where talking about..

That was the first thing that came to my mind, how the hell can you fire a guy that just won a game for you.

Couldn't it wait till the team meeting on Monday mourning?..

I thought it was a very a very low blow, not very classy at all...

I thought it would happen, win or lose the game, but not how it went down.......

Wilf has lost some of the respect I had built up for him..

MrGopher16
01-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Exactly, regardless of whether or not he asked for the response asap, you don't do it right after a win!

SWAYZE74
01-03-2006, 08:20 AM
and when is having an owner that wants to win and actually puts cash into the team a bad thing..did i miss something?

peace...

MensaTice
01-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Poor choice of words but I like the attitude. The only thing I would rag on Wilf about is the way the news was delivered. Wilf should not be made out to be a bad guy quite yet because I think he will prove to be a great owner very soon $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

MrGopher16
01-03-2006, 08:24 AM
"SWAYZE74" wrote:

and when is having an owner that wants to win and actually puts cash into the team a bad thing..did i miss something?

peace...

Nobody said anything about that. The issue was with the delivery of tice's termination.

LuckyVike
01-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Wilf has only the best intentions as well as his fellow owners that helped him make the decision to remove Tice. He said he would put the money into the team to give the new coach the players he needs, that's very promising.

LuckyVike
01-03-2006, 08:41 AM
"MrGopher16" wrote:

"SWAYZE74" wrote:

peace...

Nobody said anything about that. The issue was with the delivery of tice's termination.

Do like I did, get over it. What's done is done and there's no going back. Lets look foward to a fun off season rather than dwell on something like Tice's firing.

MrGopher16
01-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Oh i am over it, just helping to clear something up so he wasn't thinking we had different opinions than we really did.

You're right though this offseason will be very exciting.

jimmymac
01-03-2006, 08:49 AM
When Wilf said "myself", that's exactly how he feels. Wilf is not a "Vikings Fan" in the same sense that we are.

As much as we may disagree with it, owing a professional team is usually a business decision to the people with the means to acquire one. The goal is to make money and gain prestige for themselves.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't be careful with his words.

The only team owners (I can think of) that are out for the actual fans are George Steinbrenner and the Packer's stockholders.

Caine
01-03-2006, 08:50 AM
"Zygi Wilf" wrote:

Money will not be an object to get myself a championship

The very last line in the article is bothersome. I quoted it above.

Note that he says, "myself". Not, "us", not "the team"....just, "myself".

I really hope this is much ado about nothing, but this whole thing is getting a bit frightening.

Caine

Caine
01-03-2006, 08:52 AM
I see that jimmymac saw the same thing I saw.

Caine

LuckyVike
01-03-2006, 08:52 AM
"jimmymac" wrote:

When Wilf said "myself", that's exactly how he feels. Wilf is not a "Vikings Fan" in the same sense that we are.

As much as we may disagree with it, owing a professional team is usually a business decision to the people with the means to acquire one. The goal is to make money and gain prestige for themselves.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't be careful with his words.

The only team owners (I can think of) that are out for the actual fans are George Steinbrenner and the Packer's stockholders.

As long as we get to go along with him on the ride and get the championship, it's all good.

LuckyVike
01-03-2006, 08:56 AM
"Caine" wrote:

"Zygi Wilf" wrote:

I really hope this is much ado about nothing, but this whole thing is getting a bit frightening.

Caine

It's not scary to me. As long as he wants to win the championship, great. Whether he does it with the fans in mind or not, as long as he gets this team a championship I'll be happy. It's kind of like if I walked outside one morning with 1 million dollars on my porch and it's addressed to me. I don't really care how it got there, as long as I get the million dollars. In that metaphore, the million dollars represented a bowl ring, for the late person.

Vikesfan4evr
01-03-2006, 09:08 AM
I for one have lived in MN all my life and have called the Vikes my team. I back Wilf 100% on a new change in coaching and I hope he cleans house. We finished this season with discrace on a national level with players that were inconsistant on a consistant basis. Do not get me wrong the timing on the firing was a bit harsh but then so is the final standings in the Norse div. I, like many have waited for a Championship to come to MN and am excited to have someone here that wants to be a winner and not just have a team as a novelty to impress his Texan friends. I say go get em Wilf and clean house and put the fear of god into players and coaches that do not perform...

Caine
01-03-2006, 09:13 AM
"LuckyVike" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

"Zygi Wilf" wrote:

Caine

It's not scary to me. As long as he wants to win the championship, great. Whether he does it with the fans in mind or not, as long as he gets this team a championship I'll be happy. It's kind of like if I walked outside one morning with 1 million dollars on my porch and it's addressed to me. I don't really care how it got there, as long as I get the million dollars. In that metaphore, the million dollars represented a bowl ring, for the late person.

And that is where we differ.

To me, it isn't the destination, it's the journey. It's hard to put into words, but the Vikings aren't the Cowboys. I don't want to see us become the Cowboys. If I wanted to see that, I'd just be a Cowboy fan and call it a day.

Zygi has done a lot of things right...and one thing wrong. I'm not closing the door on him, I'm just opening my eyes a little wider and waiting to see what he does....and how he does it.

Caine

jimmymac
01-03-2006, 09:32 AM
"Caine" wrote:

To me, it isn't the destination, it's the journey. It's hard to put into words, but the Vikings aren't the Cowboys. I don't want to see us become the Cowboys. If I wanted to see that, I'd just be a Cowboy fan and call it a day.

Zygi has done a lot of things right...and one thing wrong. I'm not closing the door on him, I'm just opening my eyes a little wider and waiting to see what he does....and how he does it.

Caine

Sorry Caine, but you can't expect a perfect fan-owner in this day and age.

At what age did Wifl become a Viking fan?

Ltrey33
01-03-2006, 09:35 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/158951.html

Horsesh!t!!!

Still a classless move no matter what he says!

He will spend whatever it takes to get HIMSELF a championship??? What about the fans? Seems pretty selfish to me...just more proof that he doesn't have much PR savvy as an owner...he needs to hire someone to put better words in his mouth.

See Cajun, that's the problem with this whole thing. You flipped out because he didn't say "the fans" but he's not in it for the fans. I know I wouldn't be. We have emotional stock in the team, which is why we get upset when things like what happened yesterday go down, and when our favorite players leave or our favorite teams move cities. Owners don't have that attachment, they're in it because it's a business and they want to make it a successful company and franchise, not because they have emotional stock in wins and losses and people.

Prophet
01-03-2006, 10:32 AM
I think most people, Tice fans or not, agree that the firing was handled inappropriately.

I am thrilled that there is an attempt to break out of mediocrity hell. Bring on the new HC and the other associated changes, I am ready for it and have been since Tice was deemed the interim coach by Redneck McCombs. Tice will do fine in his next endeavor, I'm not worried about him. I am excited about the Vikings future now more that I have been in quite a while.

I don't agree with all the rebuilding talk. The team is fairly solid and only needs to fill a few gaps such as QB (depending on what happens with Culpepper), RB, LB, and a few holes on the O-line. They will be fine and the outlook is better with change. Of course there are some associated risks involved with any change, so be it.

==============================================
KFFL
Vikings | Wilf wants to hire a general manager type
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:58:57 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said the Vikings would hire someone who will act as a general manager, but will certainly have final say on personnel decisions. Vikings college scouting director Scott Studwell could be a candidate for the GM-like post. The search could widen to include Denver Broncos pro personnel director Rick Smith and New England Patriots college scouting director Tom Dimitroff.

KFFL
Vikings | Tice not contacted by another team - yet
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:55:03 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports as of Monday evening, Jan. 2, agent Jimmy Sexton had not been contacted by any of the teams with vacancies to discuss former Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Tice. Sexton said his client wants to land another top job. Sexton defended Tice's coaching record, highlighted by a playoff victory over the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field last season. "He took over a team in absolute disarray and slowly built it back into a playoff team last year, and on the verge of one last year," Sexton said. "That's why he wants to keep coaching."

KFFL
Vikings | Childress in town to interview
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:54:48 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator, Brad Childress, arrived Monday evening, Jan. 2, in the Twin Cities. He is scheduled to interview for the head coach's job with owner Zygi Wilf and his brother, team President Mark Wilf. The Wilfs have made it clear they will invest generously in their coaching staff. The Vikings want to move swiftly with their coaching staff because they want their new leader to surround himself with well-respected assistants.

digital420
01-03-2006, 10:52 AM
I agree that the firing was mishandled.. but we all knew it was coming. Don't drop those levels of Wilf's yet. He's new.. he made a new mistake.. we can all see that..

With soooo many things he's done right.. can't we just say.. ok.. you botched that.. lets move on and continue with the work we have ahead. Now i hope wilf doesn't think.. hey lets re - invent the wheel and bring in somebody to rebuild and restructure the vikes.. we need leadership.. someone who can see the team for it's players and build schema's around it.

If Wilf was trying to just build the vikings for the fans sake.. he woulda canned tice long ago.. he even did speak with fans and the season ticket holders.. Now how much voice should they have? or shoudl we? I havn't paid more then 50$ worth of viking merchandise since i was 16.. ok i've been living outside min since i was 19.. now there are say 1 mil of fans like me.. from reading daily news, to posting on web sites.. and then there are those who spend bokoo bucks every year on the vikes.

who should he listen to? who has better football knowlege? i'm sure wilf isn't sitting in a leather chair thinkin..

"red 16 = Fassel, red 18 = Keeps tice, ect ect.. now lets spin the wheel!!"

he's got people up there who know the game, know the business and i'm sure he's gonna make better and better decisions as time goes on.

Go Wilf, and make us the Proud Purple People Eaters again!!

Tice, so long man.. and thanks for all the effort and work u'v put into this organization!!

DiGiTaL

COJOMAY
01-03-2006, 02:59 PM
For you Wilf haters I have one word for you to remember...

RED!

Del Rio
01-03-2006, 03:13 PM
It was a good move.

The timing is fine. It's one less night Tice has the stress of not knowing his future with the team and one more night his phone could have been ringing.

Now as long at Cotrell moves on out I will be extreemly satisfied with Wilf as an owner regardless of who he brings in here.

Prophet
01-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Anytime consultants are brought in to do your job you know you are walking on thin ice.

SamDawg84
01-03-2006, 03:40 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

It was a good move.

The timing is fine. It's one less night Tice has the stress of not knowing his future with the team and one more night his phone could have been ringing.

Now as long at Cotrell moves on out I will be extreemly satisfied with Wilf as an owner regardless of who he brings in here.

i agree with you del rio 100 percent

NordicNed
01-03-2006, 04:05 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

It was a good move.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with you before Del, but on this one I do..

We won the game big, and our boys played with heart.....Most will say, but it was against their 2nd and 3rd teams, but I was there.

And our boys played with alot of heart and intensity.....The crowd was awesome, and for a time no matter how short it may have been....I for one felt great and proud of our Vikings..

Tice should have at least been given the night to enjoy this win, with Team and Family..

This could have easily been delt with in the Monday mourning team meeting...

Tice should have been asked to come to Wilfs office in the Mourning, informed of the owners decision then, in Private...

Wilf then should have addressed the team of what just took place in his office, and then should have notified the Media and schedualed a press confrence for that evening or the next mourning..

This would have given Tice time to either go home to his family or at least call them himself, to let them know the news of his fireing so they could deal with that..

Last the media should have been filled in...

I'm not saying Tice shouldn't have been let go, deep inside I thought it would happen and should, even if we did win our last game against the Bears..

I just thought it was a bit of a Kick in the Ass, the way it was handled...

From what I've heard and read, most the team was gone from the locker rooms, they then proceeded to hand out a news letter stating the case....Tice was called to see Wilf, while learning his fate his son was picking up one of these papers in the locker room and read what was happening.........Not very cool with me

His wife was outside whating in the car, probably proud of her husband and happy for the win, maybe even getting ready for a nice dinner out with Mike and their son..

I bet that dinner didn't taste to good after all..

Anyways, just my opinion, I wish Tice the best of luck in the future and thank him for the good times..

Hopefully these changes will bring us together and make us a better Team in the long run......

SKOL

Del Rio
01-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Tice himself asked for a quick decision.

He got what he wanted.

When you cut through all this emotional attatchment bullshit, and this ethical delema you will see that he didn't have a job anyway. The second the season ended he was out of a job. He had no new contract in hand, no talks about a new contract and his agreed term was up.

Again he stated in his press conference last week he wanted to know ASAP so other teams could scout him. Wilf told him he would not be getting a new contract.

You can't argue this so all I can really say is I respect your opinion. As much as you disagree with mine I feel the same way about yours. We just can't be right or wrong on this one unfortunately.

Caine
01-03-2006, 04:34 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

He got what he wanted.

When you cut through all this emotional attatchment kaka del toro, and this ethical delema you will see that he didn't have a job anyway. The second the season ended he was out of a job. He had no new contract in hand, no talks about a new contract and his agreed term was up.

Again he stated in his press conference last week he wanted to know ASAP so other teams could scout him. Wilf told him he would not be getting a new contract.

You can't argue this so all I can really say is I respect your opinion. As much as you disagree with mine I feel the same way about yours. We just can't be right or wrong on this one unfortunately.

So, basically you're saying that to show respect to a guy who has tried like hades to give you a winning program - in spite of all the hamstringing he's suffered under - is a waste of time...

It's no secret that I wanted Tice to stay. I really thought that, given decent coordinators, we were on the right road. Obviously, that isn't going to happen.

However, EVERY OTHER team that fired a coach waited until MONDAY to do it. Why is that? Would 12 hours make a difference to the Vikings, one way or another.

Actually, YES, it would.

12 hours more would have meant that those of us who wanted Tice to stay would simply be disappointed that he was gone...not upset about HOW he was removed. Does that matter to Zygi? Obviously not.

12 hours. 12 hours to let the guy enjoy his final win. To let the team enjoy the waning moments of the 05 season. 12 bloody hours to gather the team together again, and let THEM be aware of what was happening...away from the post-game media frenzy.

I don't hate/dislike Wilf now...that would be shortsighted...but it was shortsighted of HIM to not wait 12 more hours. We can't get a new HC in here 12 hours quicker, and he didn't have to pay Tice 12 hours more money.

I won't argue the right or wrong of firing Tice anymore...because there's no point. But I stand by the notion that it was done improperly. He deserved better.

Caine

mnvikes61
01-03-2006, 04:55 PM
What bothers me the most is how Tice was just pushed under the rug by Wilf. He could have waited til Monday and just let it be known that Tice's contract wouldn't be renewed. Instead Zygi got all excited and couldn't wait to finish off Tice and bring in 'one of his guys', which we are dying to know because up until that point we are stuck in limbo.

Tice spent 12 season with the Vikings. I know the owners have changed but still that is a long time to stay with an organization. Tice NEVER complained about the hand he was dealt and still stayed RESPECTFUL after he found out hours after the Chicago game. I know us Tice supporters probaly were upset about not having Tice back next season espically when nobody that we bring in here has a much better record or has any HC experience. What made us more upset is how much respect he showed for this organization and then was swept under the rug, hours after the season was done, that was very disrespectful if you ask me. I guess the phrase 'nice guys finish last' holds some truth because you couldn't find a more nice guy (not a bad thing either. Some of you guys are acting like being nice is liking carrying the plague) and a more respectful guy than Tice

Del Rio
01-03-2006, 05:04 PM
"Caine" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

He got what he wanted.

When you cut through all this emotional attatchment kaka del toro, and this ethical delema you will see that he didn't have a job anyway. The second the season ended he was out of a job. He had no new contract in hand, no talks about a new contract and his agreed term was up.

So, basically you're saying that to show respect to a guy who has tried like hades to give you a winning program - in spite of all the hamstringing he's suffered under - is a waste of time...

It's no secret that I wanted Tice to stay. I really thought that, given decent coordinators, we were on the right road. Obviously, that isn't going to happen.

However, EVERY OTHER team that fired a coach waited until MONDAY to do it. Why is that? Would 12 hours make a difference to the Vikings, one way or another.

Actually, YES, it would.

12 hours more would have meant that those of us who wanted Tice to stay would simply be disappointed that he was gone...not upset about HOW he was removed. Does that matter to Zygi? Obviously not.

12 hours. 12 hours to let the guy enjoy his final win. To let the team enjoy the waning moments of the 05 season. 12 bloody hours to gather the team together again, and let THEM be aware of what was happening...away from the post-game media frenzy.

I don't hate/dislike Wilf now...that would be shortsighted...but it was shortsighted of HIM to not wait 12 more hours. We can't get a new HC in here 12 hours quicker, and he didn't have to pay Tice 12 hours more money.

I won't argue the right or wrong of firing Tice anymore...because there's no point. But I stand by the notion that it was done improperly. He deserved better.

Caine

Yes Caine that's 12 more hours that Mike Tice is available for a job opening and 12 more hours we get to spend looking for his replacement.

Again his contract was up so technically he had no job the second the game was over.

Has Tice come out and said he was upset the way they handled it or is is it you who are bitter about his removal in the first place that is upset for him? Upset for the guy who has stated he wanted to know sooner then later?

Since there is really no proof he tried like Hades to get the job done while the whole world was against him I wont even attempt to argue that angle.

Weather you guys are upset in the way he was let go is moot. Because like you said he is gone. I expect to hear crying about Tice and about this for a while. I expect that the new coaching staff regardless of who it is will have people boo hooing and crying about their talent level.

It all rolls off my shoulders. Because this game is about what you do, and about what you don't do. Tice didn't get it done. If you liked the guy I suspect you would assume he tried really really hard, and I expect you would try to justify anything and everything in his defense.

At the end of the day his contract was up. He didn't get the job done. He asked to be let go ASAP if it was going to happen, he was.

If it makes a handful of fans unhappy then too bad so sad. He has been hinting for two years that his job was in limbo. Almost every single press conference he was mentioning it. Finally he is free from the questions. He is no longer a coach for the Minnesota Vikings.

happy camper
01-03-2006, 05:52 PM
wilf was willing to wait until the next day, but tice said he wanted it now.

please ask paul allen.

Caine
01-03-2006, 06:02 PM
"happy camper" wrote:

wilf was willing to wait until the next day, but tice said he wanted it now.

please ask paul allen.

Well, Paul Allen and I aren't drinking buddies, so taht may be a bit difficult.

RESPOSE TO DEL RIO:

None of us really knows what was said...that works both way of course. I don't know if Zygi asked Tice if he wanted to know now or tomorrow (Of course, if Tice was faced with that choice, then he had to KNOW what was comming), but the POINT is that it could have waited.

There is no way that Tice was going to use the extra 12 hours for much of anything other than sleeping.

Had he waited 12 hours, Zygi would have avoided the impression that so many of us got of him being tactless. Right or wrong, the manner in which Tice was informed left a bad taste in a LOT of people's mouths.

Of course Tice himself hasn't said anything derogatory about the whole affair. He never spoke ill of "The Previous Owner" either. Tice played the hand he was dealt...and that made many of us respect him even more.

I know you don't/didn't like him as a coach. That's fine and dandy. But, on some level, don't you respect the guy for NEVER flinching? NEVER complaining? NEVER making excuses? He took the whole load on HIS shoulders...every time.

It just seems to me that a guy like that would deserve an additional 12 hours, to let the final victory sink in, and to prepare himself to face his team for the final time. Not to be told in an awkward moment, and have the media break it to his friends and family.

12 hours would have made a HUGE difference.

Caine

snowinapril
01-03-2006, 06:31 PM
"LuckyVike" wrote:

"MrGopher16" wrote:

"SWAYZE74" wrote:

peace...

Do like I did, get over it. What's done is done and there's no going back. Lets look foward to a fun off season rather than dwell on something like Tice's firing.

Excellent Post!

snowinapril
01-03-2006, 06:36 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

He got what he wanted.

Actually, YES, it would.

Caine

Yes Caine that's 12 more hours that Mike Tice is available for a job opening and 12 more hours we get to spend looking for his replacement.

Again his contract was up so technically he had no job the second the game was over.

Has Tice come out and said he was upset the way they handled it or is is it you who are bitter about his removal in the first place that is upset for him? Upset for the guy who has stated he wanted to know sooner then later?

Since there is really no proof he tried like Hades to get the job done while the whole world was against him I wont even attempt to argue that angle.

Weather you guys are upset in the way he was let go is moot. Because like you said he is gone. I expect to hear crying about Tice and about this for a while. I expect that the new coaching staff regardless of who it is will have people boo hooing and crying about their talent level.

It all rolls off my shoulders. Because this game is about what you do, and about what you don't do. Tice didn't get it done. If you liked the guy I suspect you would assume he tried really really hard, and I expect you would try to justify anything and everything in his defense.

At the end of the day his contract was up. He didn't get the job done. He asked to be let go ASAP if it was going to happen, he was.

If it makes a handful of fans unhappy then too bad so sad. He has been hinting for two years that his job was in limbo. Almost every single press conference he was mentioning it. Finally he is free from the questions. He is no longer a coach for the Minnesota Vikings.

Excellent post(s) Del, I am not surprised we see eye to eye on this.

I am glad that you brought up the fact that he was hinting about his job loss possibilities. IMO, it only helped lead to his dismissal. One should never talk about that, it is a distraction to the team and himself. He tries not to be a negative Nancy but he is sometimes a bit of a downer.

Muggsy
01-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Prophet said:

Anytime consultants are brought in to do your job you know you are walking on thin ice.

Tice was da one dat asked for 'em, Prophet. He didn't care about himself, or how it would look. He just wanted to win, y'know?

Muggsy
01-03-2006, 07:39 PM
In case any uh youse mugs think Wilf is a truthful kinda guy, read dis:
================================================
Wilf botched Tice firing

by Bob Sansevere

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf is not used to being such a public figure. He is finding out everything he says and does will be closely scrutinized, and he will not always come away looking pristine. It is one of the side effects of owning the most popular team in the state.

Wilf appears to be a decent enough guy, as billionaire owners go. But he needs to be careful when selecting his words and his actions.

He has not exactly received rave reviews for the way he and his brother, Mark, fired coach Mike Tice. (It was done after Sunday's game, without giving Tice the opportunity to be the first to tell his players, coaches or even his 16-year-old son, Nate, who found out about it when he was shown a news release.)

Less than three weeks ago, Wilf said, "There will be no major overhaul."

I would say firing your coach qualifies as more than a mini overhaul, as does the decision to hire a general manager.

Wilf needs to learn that something he said last week could come back to bite him this week. Two of the most important traits a team owner can have are sincerity and clarity. Some clarity was lacking Monday.

Reacting to criticism about how Tice was fired, Wilf said, "Once the final decision was made, we didn't want him to twist in the wind another night... . We informed Mike as soon as we could."

That suggested Wilf decided to fire Tice sometime Sunday. Then, moments later, Wilf indicated the decision was made over "the last couple of weeks." He amended the timetable again, after being asked if Tice's fate was determined before the Vikings were out of the playoff hunt.

We should cut Zygi some slack because he is new to all this, but he really does need to work on choosing his words and deeds with more care.
================================================

Mebbe Wilf will bring da Vikes a Super Bowl trophy. To dose mugs dat don't care how ya do it, classy or not, it don't madda. To me, it does.

Right now, if Weasel Wilf told me, "Good morning.", I'd pull down da shades and go ta bed. I'd trust him bout as far as I could trow 'im, and I'd like ta trow 'im in da river!

Muggsy
01-03-2006, 07:47 PM
snowinapril wrote:

He tries not to be a negative Nancy but he is sometimes a bit of a downer.

Are youse an' Del Rio married or sumpin'? Youse two are da real downers in heah.

Wow. I hopes like hell I will never be so cold and heartless as youse two mugs. I never realized how much youse two hated Tice until your last two posts. It almost sounds paddalogical, like it was a poisenal insult to youse two, havin Tice as da coach.

I hopes youse two never get judged da way youse judged Tice. You'd never make it.

Prophet
01-03-2006, 07:56 PM
"OldManVike" wrote:

Prophet said:

Tice was da one dat asked for 'em, Prophet. He didn't care about himself, or how it would look. He just wanted to win, y'know?

I agree. I think you are arguing for his character, a down-to-earth guy. Sure, he appeared to be with the exception of the scalping incident. It doesn't matter if he asked for them. If I asked for consultants to do my job there is a chance that my boss would pay for them....but my terminal clock with the agency would be ticking unless I made a leap in my skill-set due to learning from the consultants.

No, we don't know if Tice did learn from that whole fiasco. The only reservation and risk I have in letting Tice go is that the Vikings invested years of on-the-job training for an HC position and he is at the cusp of either continuing to be mediocre or breaking into greatness or folding. All the cards have not been played so we don't know. The risk is that Tice will pan out somewhere else and we'll be dungyized once again. On the other hand, if the Vikings pick up an experienced veteran coach and supporting staff Tice will not be missed.

None of us know how it will pan out, but I will be optimistic about the future like I have tried to be for decades. I like the moves they're making and look forward to seeing what other off-season moves transpire. Is it the 2006 season yet?

Muggsy
01-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I know, Prophet. One ting dat bothers me is dat a lotta wridas near da end of da season was sayin' how much Tice had grown and matured as a coach. I'm tinkin' like you said, we gave Mike some on da job trainin', an' now he's gonna springboid into a HC position an' do great.

Dat would da Vikes all right! We never gets a break, y'know?

canadian_vikes_fan
01-03-2006, 08:33 PM
I definitely agree with what Wilf has done. Look back at what you thought of the Vikings before the season. Everyone figured 12-4, or 11-5. We didn't even bother discussing the playoffs - that was a given.

Bottom line: this team underperformed - we had loads of talent, and we didn't get the job done. You can point to injuries or bad luck or whatever you want, but when a team constantly underperforms like the Vikings have under Tice, the guys gotta get fired.

Like Wilf said, as soon as we were out of the playoffs, Tice was fired. He let him play out the rest of the year, of course, but what does 12 hours mean. To be honest, it doesn't really make much of a difference to me. I don't understand how everyone is all so worked out about what time he was fired at.

As a coach who doesn't have a job, I'm pretty sure Tice wouldn't have been going to parties all night celebrating a victory that made no difference. This way, he didn't have to spend a restless night worrying about whether or not he would have a job when he woke up. The 12 hrs makes no difference. Get over it.

V4L
01-03-2006, 08:36 PM
I agree with it.. Just think he could have waited.. That was bunk..

And for underperforming we didn't expect to lose our Pro-bowl center and our Pro-bowl Qb.. But I still think we did under perform

canadian_vikes_fan
01-03-2006, 08:48 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I agree with it.. Just think he could have waited.. That was bunk..

And for underperforming we didn't expect to lose our Pro-bowl center and our Pro-bowl Qb.. But I still think we did under performI can't accept injuries as a reason why we lost. I hear it all the time from fans of every team - well, we woulda won, but this guy hurt his ankle...

I respect teams that battle through injuries - look at the Patriots last year - practically their whole secondary was out and now this year they lost Harrison and Bruschi for the first part. I hate to say it, but the Bears lost their QB in training camp, and they battled through it.

A good team with a good coach doesn't let injuries be an excuse - you either suck it up and play as good as you can with the guys you have, or you lie down and start spouting excuses.

PS - Considering our records with DC and Brad, I don't think anyone can point to Daunte getting injured for why we didn't make the playoffs. The only other really major injury was Birk. And if your team depends on every single player on your roster not getting injured to make the playoffs, you're probably not a very good team. Teams expect injuries, and we didn't even have the worst case of them by any means.

V4L
01-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Yah that's why I still said we under performed... But they didn't lose Tom Brady and their best lineman.. It really does hurt ya!! So he SOMEWHAT has an excuse to the not so achieving season

Prophet
01-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Not to be used as an excuse, but we lost our starting QB, RB, and C. That would be a damper on any team's offense. Not to mention the lack of a #1 WR for much of the year....Burleson was maimed.

It took too long to adjust the scheme considering the team makeup, thus the slow start.

V4L
01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Yah exactly.. And the Pats still had an awesome D to help them out.. Top 5..

But yes we didn't do how alot of people thought we should.. So a new coach and assistants should help hopefully

RK.
01-03-2006, 09:00 PM
If they were going to offer Tice a new contract it would have been done in the week before the last game. Tice knew he was not going to be rehired. It did not come as a surprise. By announcing right away it let the league know that the Vikes were in the market for a new HC. Its a strategic move in the signing war for talent. I have no problem with the way it was done or the timing. Listening to some of you guys whine about it makes me think you want the new Vikes fight song to go like this,

Feeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiings nothing more than Feeeeeeelings :razz:

Again if he was going to be rehired the outcome of the Bears game was not going to have anything to do with it. It would have already been done. Why hold it off till after the last game of the season. That would be the mark of a drama queen ownership. Wilf kept his word and waited till the end of the season to make the announcement that's all. Wilf is a guy that takes care of business. Personally I find it refreshing. :wink: