FBI Won't Pursue Charges In Vikings' Boat Scandal

http://wcco.com/sports/local_story_348225706.html

ancoin
12-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Now it is finally history

NordicNed
12-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Amen to that,

Now we can get down to buisness with the Steelers Sunday......

singersp
12-15-2005, 02:53 PM
That's just the federal chargers. The only thing left is the misdemeanors.

NordicNed
12-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Singer, did you get my PM?

Yea, they'll end up with the $1,000 fines or nothing at all...

C-PepNSalt
12-15-2005, 03:21 PM
$1,000 fine...haha
Might as well not fine them at all, or atleast tell them to pay the fine to charity.

Mr. Purple
12-15-2005, 03:41 PM
all I have to say is...good.

donjen95
12-15-2005, 04:26 PM
can we now just play football! we need to kick the steelers rear ends this week. this has been a big to do about nothing. as i have stated before, if this was in new york it would have been laughed off.

gregair13
12-15-2005, 07:17 PM
just found this on yahoo

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikings-boatparty&prov=ap&type=lgns

Four Vikings charged in boat party scandal
Four Vikings charged in boat party scandal

December 15, 2005
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Quarterback Daunte Culpepper and three other Minnesota Vikings were charged Thursday with three misdemeanors each for taking part in a bawdy boat party earlier this season on Lake Minnetonka.

Culpepper, Bryant McKinnie, Fred Smoot and Moe Williams were charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers.

cajunvike
12-15-2005, 07:22 PM
$1000 to get their knobs polished...chump change to those guys...looks like they got a pretty good deal! LOL!!!

Plus two of the four are on IR so the distraction should be negligible!

V4L
12-15-2005, 07:30 PM
HAHA

Vikes
12-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Thursday, December 15, 2005
Four Vikings charged with party boat misdemeanors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- Quarterback Daunte Culpepper and three other Minnesota Vikings were charged Thursday with three misdemeanors each for taking part in a bawdy boat party earlier this season on Lake Minnetonka.

Culpepper, Bryant McKinnie, Fred Smoot and Moe Williams were charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers.

Prosecutor Steve Tallen's decision was based on findings by the Hennepin County sheriff's office, whose investigators reviewed allegations of lewd and drunken behavior aboard a floating party Oct. 6 that involved some Vikings players.

Crew members complained that some people took off their clothes and engaged in public sex acts during the cruise, according to Stephen Doyle, an attorney representing the boat owners, Al & Alma's Supper Club and Charter Cruises in Mound. The crew members identified 17 Vikings among about 90 people on the two boats.

Doyle had said Smoot paid for one of the cruises. Smoot responded by threatening to sue whoever ``put my name in there.'

Reports that some women at the party were paid to come from Minnesota had raised the possibility of federal charges, but U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger said Thursday that no such charges would be brought. Heffelfinger cited insufficient evidence.

That decision, along with sheriff's decision to send the case to Tallen's office, meant any charges would be minor. Tallen is the prosecuting attorney for the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District, which handles nonfelony crimes committed on the big lake just west of Minneapolis.

The boat scandal hit the Vikings when they were already reeling, off to a 1-3 start, and made them the object of national ridicule on late-night TV and cable sports channels. New owner Zygi Wilf, who had been seeking state help for a new stadium, responded forcefully, apologizing to Gov. Tim Pawlenty and other state officials and instituting a new code of conduct.

The team has since recovered on the field and, with quarterback Brad Johnson replacing the injured Culpepper, reeled off six straight wins to become a playoff contender at 8-5.

CanadaViking
12-15-2005, 08:07 PM
What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that McKinnie and Smoot aren't playin come Sunday? Why is it that it takes 2 months to figure all of this stuff out? I for one hope that now that these players have been charged with their misdemeanours that all of this garbage is behind us!!!

I really think that this is probably not the best thing for these guys family lives (pissed off wives), I hope that it will not affect the teams performance on Sunday!! Man, Culpepper must be just freakin out, what a dismal season for this guy, this is pretty much as bad as it can get for C-Pep!!!

I hope that the boys can muster up som emotivation from these charges, as a let down now could be costly!!

Cheers!!

ancoin
12-15-2005, 08:11 PM
If they have to go to prison then for how long?? im not i to US law

C-PepNSalt
12-15-2005, 08:13 PM
You guys, it's just minor charges, all it does is give them a fine...they will still be playing in the game on sunday.

snowinapril
12-15-2005, 08:13 PM
"CanadaViking" wrote:

What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that McKinnie and Smoot aren't playin come Sunday? Why is it that it takes 2 months to figure all of this stuff out? I for one hope that now that these players have been charged with their misdemeanours that all of this garbage is behind us!!!

I really think that this is probably not the best thing for these guys family lives (pissed off wives), I hope that it will not affect the teams performance on Sunday!! Man, Culpepper must be just freakin out, what a dismal season for this guy, this is pretty much as bad as it can get for C-Pep!!!

I hope that the boys can muster up som emotivation from these charges, as a let down now could be costly!!

Cheers!!

My guess, is that this is there punishment. I don't think that there will be a suspension. I could be wrong. They may get fined by the team if that is possible but I doubt that.

Hopefully, the TEAM will use this as fire for this weeks game and it won't be a distraction. I bet a lot of the guys are relieved to have this over with. They all need to keep there mouth shut and play football.

Prophet
12-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Head coach Mike Tice, who was careful with his reaction, said unless there is a conviction of some type he will not take any action or speak further on the matter.

Vikings | Police and courts: QB Daunte Culpepper
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:02:54 -0800

Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper has been charged with three misdemeanors for taking part in a boat part earlier this year on Lake Minnetonka. He has been charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers. Head coach Mike Tice, who was careful with his reaction, said unless there is a conviction of some type he will not take any action or speak further on the matter.

Vikings | Police and courts: OT Bryant McKinnie
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:02:22 -0800

Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings OT Bryant McKinnie has been charged with three misdemeanors for taking part in a boat party earlier this year on Lake Minnetonka. He has been charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers. Head coach Mike Tice, who was careful with his reaction, said unless there is a conviction of some type he will not take any action or speak further on the matter.

Vikings | Police and courts: CB Fred Smoot
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:02:00 -0800

Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings CB Fred Smoot has been charged with three misdemeanors for taking part in a boat party earlier this year on Lake Minnetonka. He has been charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers. According to the court papers, Smoot and DE Lance Johnston arranged for the charter. Smoot previously threatened to sue whoever put his name down as paying for them. Head coach Mike Tice, who was careful with his reaction, said unless there is a conviction of some type he will not take any action or speak further on the matter.

Vikings | Police and courts: RB Moe Williams
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:55:38 -0800

Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings RB Moe Williams has been charged with three misdemeanors for taking part in a boat party earlier this year on Lake Minnetonka. He has been charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers. Head coach Mike Tice, who was careful with his reaction, said unless there is a conviction of some type he will not take any action or speak further on the matter.

Mr. Purple
12-15-2005, 08:19 PM
I like what Tice said, it just needs to be ended.

jimmymac
12-15-2005, 08:22 PM
"Vikes" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

<snip>

This decision seems fair.

With misdemeanors the players will probably just pled no contest (to avoid a public trial) and they will get off with fines and community service. No jail.

LuckyVike
12-15-2005, 08:23 PM
I got mad right when I saw the title of this article. Why did they have to bring this back to the public eye right before the Steelers game?! Also, I can't believe Culpepper had anything to do with the whole thing... dang.

Prophet
12-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Or they could be like that fan that stole the football from Favre while millions of people watched him do it.....he pleaded not guilty. lmao.

midgensa
12-15-2005, 08:47 PM
I think this stuff will just finish this all off finally and get the team even more unified to show that they are moving on ... It is a shame all of this happened, and all of these people have a lot more to answer to than the law ... hopefully this is a lesson learned and life goes smoothly here on out.

DPep11
12-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Daunte lied, I remember he said that his name would be cleared at the end of this. How is it he is 1 of four players being charged

BBQ Platypus
12-15-2005, 09:44 PM
"Vikes" wrote:

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- Quarterback Daunte Culpepper and three other Minnesota Vikings were charged Thursday with three misdemeanors each for taking part in a bawdy boat party earlier this season on Lake Minnetonka.

Prosecutor Steve Tallen's decision was based on findings by the Hennepin County sheriff's office, whose investigators reviewed allegations of lewd and drunken behavior aboard a floating party Oct. 6 that involved some Vikings players.

Crew members complained that some people took off their clothes and engaged in public sex acts during the cruise, according to Stephen Doyle, an attorney representing the boat owners, Al & Alma's Supper Club and Charter Cruises in Mound. The crew members identified 17 Vikings among about 90 people on the two boats.

Doyle had said Smoot paid for one of the cruises. Smoot responded by threatening to sue whoever ``put my name in there.'

Reports that some women at the party were paid to come from Minnesota had raised the possibility of federal charges, but U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger said Thursday that no such charges would be brought. Heffelfinger cited insufficient evidence.

That decision, along with sheriff's decision to send the case to Tallen's office, meant any charges would be minor. Tallen is the prosecuting attorney for the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District, which handles nonfelony crimes committed on the big lake just west of Minneapolis.

The boat scandal hit the Vikings when they were already reeling, off to a 1-3 start, and made them the object of national ridicule on late-night TV and cable sports channels. New owner Zygi Wilf, who had been seeking state help for a new stadium, responded forcefully, apologizing to Gov. Tim Pawlenty and other state officials and instituting a new code of conduct.

The team has since recovered on the field and, with quarterback Brad Johnson replacing the injured Culpepper, reeled off six straight wins to become a playoff contender at 8-5.

Why did they mention the winning streak at the end of this article? It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the scandal. Personally, it looks like an underhanded attempt to make Culpepper look like a punk.

whackthepack
12-15-2005, 09:48 PM
I do not think you will see a settlement until after the season, I think the prosecutor will probably plead it down to one count of a lesser charge if they plead guilty. If that does happen, and they plead guilty in the off-season then it will be up to Wilf to decide what his action against the players is. He had said there would be suspensions or termination, and if they wait till after the season then they can suspend them at the start of next season.

DoubleDown11
12-15-2005, 09:48 PM
I usually only post when I have something to say
Here is my view- They are professionals.

Everyone who went to college partied around a keg or got drunk in some way or fashion. Some of us even received underage drinking, disorderly conduct, public intoxication, and/ or urinating in public citations. BTW these are all ordinance violations and not state charges.

As professionals they brought it to another level. They hired "talent" and boat cruises. They also received a little more significant charges.

My point is that if anyone could have afforded it while in college, they would be doing the same thing. Instead of Spring Break, its a Bye week.

As far as suspensions or fines- its not like they were charged with obstructing justice in a murder case. (AKA Ray Lewis). I think a fine is enough of a punishment. Its not like they will ever do this again. Worse case if they are suspended the only one that hurts the Vikings is McKinnie.

My only advice- next year go to Nevada, where that crap is legal!

Since I am ranting- if anyone pulls the role model/ higher standard crap, athletes are not role models. PARENTS are role models.

napo58
12-15-2005, 09:52 PM
steven doyle should be beaten to a pulp. Who cares it was a misdemeanor charge, Smoot and Mckinnie shouldnt be benched for this. I really cant beleive Culpepper would do such a thing. I respected him alot and thought he was a family man, but I guess I was wrong.

cc21
12-15-2005, 10:46 PM
I am very surprised that Pep and Moe were charged. I didn't think that either of them would have even been on the boat. This could ruin culpeppers marriage and make this season even worse for him.

WaywardHoosier
12-15-2005, 10:47 PM
I think the FBI needs to focus on catching murderers, rapists, tax evaders, and politicians who lie and steel. Now that would take up all their time.

Just like politicians need to focus on how to help the poor in our country instead of trying to get free publicity supporting a filthy rich NFL football star like Terrell Owens. The guy makes millions of dollars a year. I have no sympathy for him.

Wow, a rant!

collegeguyjeff
12-15-2005, 11:37 PM
just like i said the whole thing was blown out of proportion

singersp
12-15-2005, 11:40 PM
4 Vikings players charged in boat case

David Chanen, David Shaffer, Star Tribune
Last update: December 15, 2005 at 2:05 PM

Four Minnesota Vikings, including quarterback Daunte Culpepper, were charged today with misdemeanors alleging lewd or indecent conduct in connection with a party on Lake Minnetonka in October.
The other players charged were tackle Bryant McKinnie, running back Moe Williams and cornerback Fred Smoot, who was one of the organizers of the annual party put on by a first-year player from the team.
On Wednesday, U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger confirmed no players would face federal charges. Crew members from Al & Alma's Supper Club and Charter Cruises said women who were paid to come to Minnesota from other states for the party were seen having sex with players.
All four players were charged with one count of indecent conduct, one count of disorderly conduct and one count of lewd and lascivious conduct. All charges are misdemeanors.

'There was no shortage of inappropriate behavior on both boats,' said Hennepin County Sheriff Patrick McGowan in talking about the charges. He said that the investigation identified 30 Vikings among the approximately 90 people aboard the two boats.

Coach Mike Tice said, "We've been down this road with other players before. I'll just let you know, as it pertains to any punishment ... there is, according to NFL rules and union contracts, there is a large difference between allegations and charges and convictions. Until at any point there is a conviction of any type, I have no action to take and nothing to say."

The complaints gave this account of the allegations:

Culpepper got a lap dance from an unidentified, naked female in the bar area of a boat and that he placed his hands on the naked buttocks of the dancer.

Williams, in an area near the boat's downstairs bathrooms, received a lap dance from a bare-breasted dancer and touched her breast.
Smoot was accused of using a sex toy on two women in the presence of numerous guests.

Witnesses reported that they saw McKinnie "pick up a naked woman, place her on the bar in the lounge area, and commence to perform oral sex on the woman." At a different time in the evening, the witnesses said they saw "Mr. McKinnie along with three other unidentified males receiving oral sex from four women while the men were seated in deck chairs on the boat."

The maximum penalty on each charges is 90 days in jail or a $1,000 fine. Court appearances were set for the players on Jan. 5.
'None of the Vikings have chosen to talk to us,' McGowan said.
Smoot said today, "I'm not talking about nothing."

Peter Wold, who represents another Vikings player who isn't charged, said his investigation found "nothing pointing to any of these four."
"The Vikings charged in the case are among the most recognizable players on the team and they also are among the highest paid," Wold said. "This is a shakedown."

McGowan said the case would have been investigated even if it had not involved the high-profile Minnesota Vikings, had someone brought a similar complaint. Then he asked the assembled media a question:
'If this didn't involve the players that it did, would you all be standing here today?' McGowan asked.

Prosecutor Steve Tallen received a file from the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office about two weeks ago. Employees of the boat company identified 17 players among the approximately 90 guests on the two boats chartered for the Oct. 6 party.

Stephen Doyle, the attorney representing Al & Alma's, said sex acts were performed in front of employees, and many of the employees were fearful for their safety. The boat captains decided to end the cruise early and turn around because of the activities.

Last month, Vikings officials questioned the accuracy of Doyle's portrayal about what happened on the boats and they have been critical of stories about the party done by local media.

An exotic dancer from Atlanta who said she was on one of the boats said in an interview with the Star Tribune that she saw two incidents of sexual activity on her boat, but not as much as has been described in some news accounts. The woman, who spoke to the newspaper on the condition that her name not be published, said she was paid $500 to attend a party thrown by first-year Vikings players.

On the boat, the woman said, she saw a couple who appeared to have just finished having sex in a bathroom and another couple on the upper deck who were undressed and engaged in intercourse.

She said that she didn't know if any Vikings were involved and that it was her understanding that an invitation to the party didn't include an expectation to have sex. At least a dozen other exotic dancers from Atlanta attended the party, she said, but she didn't know if they were paid.
"I wasn't flown up to be a prostitute," she said during an interview in Atlanta.

Boat employees of Al & Alma's Supper Club and Charter Cruises had identified 17 Vikings players as being on the boats, but several have publicly denied that they were on board. Some players on the list allegedly participated in sex acts. The list also includes players who apologized for the behavior of some teammates and who tried to protect the charter boat employees.

Attorney Doyle has said cornerback Fred Smoot was one of the organizers, but Smoot has repeatedly denied it and has threatened legal action.

Mr. Purple
12-15-2005, 11:42 PM
A bunch of single 20 somethin year old millionaires on a boat, with strippers, having a "good time". What the Fluck is the big deal? America trys to act like thier saints and angels, when really theres alot worse things going on in this world then a bunch of Football players having fun. Who cares if Daunte is a leader of this team, hes also a human being and a single millionaire.....i'd be on that boat after every game. Fug the media!

singersp
12-15-2005, 11:43 PM
This thread was intended for the Fedral chargees of which there was none.

For the misdemeanors that fined the 4 players & the details, here is the link;

http://purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=271062#271062

V4L
12-16-2005, 12:15 AM
Man I want to have a party like that!!!

cc21
12-16-2005, 12:17 AM
LMAO, you and me both man, you and me both.

V4L
12-16-2005, 12:18 AM
Let's hook that up then bro!!! We will throw it at Pelican haha

audioghost
12-16-2005, 01:03 AM
OK, lemme get this straight....Smoot bangin a chick with a dildo, McKinnie eating out some scuzzy Atlanta whore (he should get himself checked out...LMAO) then gets a B.J., and Peppy and Moe getting lap dances (who cares, dudes get lap dances all the time, not a big deal to me...)....I think Smoot and McKinnie are really the only ones that did anything outragous....

But WTF? This is insane....what a party....P.P.O., hook it up, call up ATL and get the strippers...we're having a P.P.O. end of the season party at Al&Alma's....lol....I can't believe this stuff....

Good thing B-Will has been coming up big, cuz if Smoot is gone for a while I don't think we'll be that hurt.

McKinnie's another story...hope he doesn't get convicted until after the season....

audioghost
12-16-2005, 01:05 AM
Remember what Wilf said....he was gonna weed out the bad guys....don't be surprised to see Smoot go this offseason....Peppy will most likely stay....McKinnie will most likely stay....Moe could go.......

Jordan
12-16-2005, 01:06 AM
None of them r going anywhere Ziggy just might suspend them 4 a little while without pay

NordicNed
12-16-2005, 01:09 AM
No comment,

we have three very important games coming up.....and the courts can be pushed backed for months by a good lawyer...

Let's just play some ball....

V4L
12-16-2005, 01:11 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

No comment,

we have three very important games coming up.....and the courts can be pushed backed for months by a good lawyer...

Let's just play some ball....

True dat! :smile:

WBLVikeBabe
12-16-2005, 01:17 AM
[begin rant] I just want to know why we are still talking about this. What is with all these new threads about this topic? Get over it people! [end rant]

audioghost
12-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Umm...we're still talking about this cuz we now ACTUALLY KNOW what the wrongdoing was (allegedly).....who cares anyway? The Vikes are winning games! They can bang all the sluts they want just as long as they win games....I could give a you know what about their personal life!

Vikes
12-16-2005, 07:39 AM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

I am very surprised that Pep and Moe were charged. I didn't think that either of them would have even been on the boat. This could ruin culpeppers marriage and make this season even worse for him.

Trust me PEP is cool but he is human.

superior230bartime
12-16-2005, 08:33 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

A bunch of single 20 somethin year old millionaires on a boat, with strippers, having a "good time". What the Fluck is the big deal? America trys to act like thier saints and angels, when really theres alot worse things going on in this world then a bunch of Football players having fun. Who cares if Daunte is a leader of this team, hes also a human being and a single millionaire.....i'd be on that boat after every game. Fug the media!

I totally agree that it is not a big deal but I guarantee that if it was Brett Favre or any other Packer that was involved in this you guys would be demanding suspensions and would still be talking about this shit 10 years from now. hell the Vicodin thing is 10 years old already and I've seen numerous topics on that still. My favorite are the idiots that say that the NFL showed preferential treatment in not suspending Favre for it. Lets see, since many players in the NFL take Vicodin to relieve pain as part of the game, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's not included in the NFL's list of banned substances and is not tested for when they do there drug tests. Do you guys think I'm onto something or are you still going with the preferential treatment from Tagliabue theory?

singersp
12-16-2005, 12:47 PM
"superior230bartime" wrote:

I totally agree that it is not a big deal but I guarantee that if it was Brett Favre or any other Packer that was involved in this you guys would be demanding suspensions and would still be talking about this pooh 10 years from now. hell the Vicodin thing is 10 years old already and I've seen numerous topics on that still. My favorite are the idiots that say that the NFL showed preferential treatment in not suspending Favre for it. Lets see, since many players in the NFL take Vicodin to relieve pain as part of the game, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's not included in the NFL's list of banned substances and is not tested for when they do there drug tests. Do you guys think I'm onto something or are you still going with the preferential treatment from Tagliabue theory?

I'm still going with the preferential treatment.

It is not the use of Vicodin as a pain killer that is in question. It was that Brett ABUSED the use of it in his addiction.

singersp
12-16-2005, 01:03 PM
I heard on the news this morning that the 4 Vikings charged will be making their court appearance to face these charges in early January.

Prophet
12-16-2005, 01:29 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Culpepper denies charges in boat scandal
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:16:59 -0800

Sean Jensen and Beth Silver, of the Pioneer Press, report Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper denied charges against him stemming from the sex boat scandal. "There was no shortage of inappropriate behavior on both boats," said Hennepin County Sheriff Pat McGowan. "I look forward to meeting my accusers in a court of law so they can be confronted with this lie," Culpepper said. "In the end, the truth will come out and I will be vindicated. I didn't touch anybody and nobody touched me." Team owner Zygi Wilf remained silent Thursday, Dec. 15. A top team official, however, vowed Wilf would not skirt the issue or let NFL collective-bargaining rules tie his hands.

NordicNed
12-16-2005, 01:36 PM
They will more than likely plead, Not Guilty..

Continuance and that pushes it to Feb. maybe March....

This will be an off season topic, and not much heard about it......

sunny
12-16-2005, 04:14 PM
The charges against Cpep and Moe are bogus. What a waste of my tax dollars. Smoot should keep that stuff in his own bedroom and McKinney needs his head checked, who the H E dubble hockeysicks goes down on a hooker?

ultravikingfan
12-16-2005, 04:34 PM
"sunny" wrote:

The charges against Cpep and Moe are bogus. What a waste of my tax dollars. Smoot should keep that stuff in his own bedroom and McKinney needs his head checked, who the H E dubble hockeysicks goes down on a hooker?

Thats just nasty.

Yuck...sloppy seconds...and then some! :???:

sunny
12-16-2005, 05:13 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"sunny" wrote:

Thats just nasty.

Yuck...sloppy seconds...and then some! :???:

I apolagize to the yunger members of the site.

But it dose give a whole new meaning to the phrase "Purple People Eaters" :shock:

Mr. Purple
12-16-2005, 05:18 PM
LMFAO SUNNY!!!!

if we win this sunday...PP.O we'll go on a cruise on me;)! hahaha

ultravikingfan
12-16-2005, 08:11 PM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

LMFAO SUNNY!!!!

if we win this sunday...PP.O we'll go on a cruise on me;)! hahaha

On you? :shock:

Prophet
12-16-2005, 08:13 PM
"sunny" wrote:

...But it dose give a whole new meaning to the phrase "Purple People Eaters" :shock:

The new D will have to come up with a new name it appears.

COJOMAY
12-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Associated Press

An attorney for the Minnesota Vikings said team owner Zygi Wilf will not hesitate to suspend the players facing charges stemming from the October boat trip on Lake Minnetonka.

The attorney said it doesn't matter to Wilf if the suspensions affect the team in the playoffs. He said Wilf will do "the right and honorable thing.'

But the attorney would not give a timetable for when Wilf might act.

Four players are facing charges of indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd behavior. They will appear in court Jan. 5.

The charges facing Daunte Culpepper, Bryant McKinnie, Fred Smoot and Moe Williams are misdemeanors. They all face a maximum of 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine for each of the three counts.

PurplePeopleEaters
12-17-2005, 02:39 AM
God damn it. DONT Suspend Mckinnie until the offseason. Smoot is pretty much expendable at this point.

skum
12-17-2005, 02:43 AM
They are both important players, Smoot will be an awesome nickel :) and McKinnie is one of the top Tackles in the NFC..

Lets hope the courttime will take some time, so the suspension wont colide with some of our games..

CynicalVike
12-17-2005, 02:44 AM
I doubt Zygi will do anything to any of them until they have their day in court, and then only if they are actually found guilty. Till then, he wants them to just think about the next game on their schedule.

skum
12-17-2005, 02:47 AM
Yeah.. would be wrong to suspend anybody if they are not found guilty.. Cause it will bring the question if the club believe in the accusers instead of the players..

scottishvike
12-17-2005, 02:51 PM
"skum" wrote:

Yeah.. would be wrong to suspend anybody if they are not found guilty.. Cause it will bring the question if the club believe in the accusers instead of the players.. Exactly if they are found guilty throw the book at them until then - innocent until proven guilty.

ancoin
12-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Lets hope the count aint going to be before February but is it not the 2. time Mvkinne is in court??

ChezPizmo
12-17-2005, 08:36 PM
The charges for the infamous 'Sex Boat' are out, and the 4 players that are being charged with 3 Misdemeanors (can serve up to 90 days in jail for each charge) are Fred Smoot (CB) (boys, whatta suprise), Moe Williams (RB), Brian McKinnie (If that is spelled right and he plays (T)), and the franchise player, Daunt Culpepper (QB)

Is anyone else besides me a bit suprised/shocked that our Culpepper is being involved in these Sex Boat Scandal charges? Of course Pepper denied the charges and said they were so untrue that it wasn't funny. He also said that he is eager to go to court to clean his name and keep his rep strong. But of course, isn't deny something of that sort human nature. I am not saying he is denying because that's the first thing that comes to mind, but I'm just stating opinions.

I love Culpepper and think that if it wasn't for Mr. Record Breaker last year, Culpepper would no doubt be MVP (4700+ yards, 39 TDs, a QB rating of 110, and a completion percentage somewhere around 55%).
But one person I have come to dislike is Fred Smoot.

When I went down to see the Vikes play the Bengals, they were announcing names and numbers for the Vikes as they came out of the gate. I know it's normal to 'boo' the opposing team, but the boo that Smoot got was atleast 3x as worse. I didn't at the time know why he was being booed right then when he was introduced, but I later found out that he was talking stuff to Chad Johnson all week up until warm-ups. And on the second play of the game, Smoot got absolutely BURNED by Chad for a huge yarded TD pass.
It has also been said that Smoot was the one that arranged the whole boat cruise.

Personally, Smoot actions is the very last thing we need in the situation we are in now. I think the leader of the Purple D should be left to Sharper because he gives it stableness and agressiveness, much like Brad is doing on the other side of the ball.

To conclude this all, I just hope Smoot plays ball and doesn't end up becoming an even bigger distraction.

Tanner_QBRB8
12-17-2005, 08:43 PM
I Dont really think this is a huge deal they wound be charged with anything(like every other Sports stars) becasue they will just pay thier way out of this mess like Kobe and OJ

ItalianStallion
12-17-2005, 09:44 PM
For a guy who went to the Cincinatti game, you should at least know what happened. It was Winfield (and to some extent Sharper), not Smoot who got burned for the long TD pass.

I am not to happy with all this smoot hating that seems to be going on. If Brian Williams had played at all like he has done in previous seasons, people would be clamoring over Smoot as much as they were in the offseason.

singersp
12-18-2005, 06:12 AM
Vikings Insider:

Proving innocence could mean proving your teammates' guilt

The Vikings charged in the Love Boat scandal face a dilemma. In order to fight the charges in court, they might need their friends to incriminate themselves or others.

Kevin Seifert
Last update: December 17, 2005 at 6:48 PM

Imagine this scenario. It's not as far-fetched as you might think.

Player A (we'll call him Donnie) believes he is falsely accused of a crime that allegedly occurred in the presence of some 30 teammates. Donnie plans to fight the charges, in open court if necessary, and appears set against a plea bargain that would make the issue disappear and avoid a jail sentence.

How does Donnie prove his case? By subpoenaing witnesses -- his teammates -- to testify as to his (in)action during the incident in question. Such a request would create a heavy burden. First, those teammates would have to acknowledge their own presence at the incident. And if Donnie believes his identity was mistaken, he would need the true offender to admit guilt in order to exonerate himself.

A few months later, the whole bunch would be sharing dormitory rooms in training camp. Go team!

Yes, the fun is only beginning in the Love Boat scandal, which finally produced misdemeanor charges this week for a quartet of Vikings players. At least three of them, including quarterback Daunte Culpepper, plan to fight the accusations. Culpepper, left tackle Bryant McKinnie and cornerback Fred Smoot apparently believe that in the dark and haze of Lake Minnetonka, employees of Al & Alma's either misreported their activities or mistook their identities for someone else.

The position of the fourth player, running back Moe Williams, is unknown.

But circumstances have conspired to put Culpepper, McKinnie and Smoot in a no-win situation. They can fall on their swords, accept a plea and move on with their careers. Or they can pursue their constitutional right to due process, in the process creating division in the locker room and a further public airing of lurid details.

No doubt, some of the tough talk is simply posturing by attorneys who want to maximize their leverage in any plea negotiations. But Culpepper appeared especially adamant in interviews with several media outlets this week, and people inside the organization say his desire to exonerate himself is real and unlikely to wane.

Of the four players charged, Culpepper has the most to lose. Entering this season, he was one of the NFL's best and most popular players. The Vikings had given him an $8 million raise, he had several national endorsement contracts and there was talk of enhancing his contract further next spring.

Moreover, Culpepper's easy smile and genial personality gave him a well-deserved reputation as a solid citizen among the usual cast of characters at Winter Park. Although he is accused only of touching a naked woman's rear end during a lap dance, it is understandable why he would fight to maintain a pristine reputation.

In reality, however, the damage is done. Culpepper, McKinnie and Smoot might well get their day in court. But will a legal ruling change how the average fan views them? In the age of media saturation, the unfortunate answer is probably not.

If you assume the premise that something happened on those two boats, you realize this: If it wasn't Culpepper, McKinnie or Smoot, then it was other players or perhaps their friends.

The names of 17 players who allegedly were on the boat have been publicized, and estimates are that another 13-17 participants have gone unnamed. Those players could be in the clear -- unless they are subpoenaed to testify for their charged teammates.

Worse, they could be asked to admit their own guilt to prove the innocence of another -- which could lead to a defining moment in the Vikings locker room.

There is no "I" in team. But there is one in "innocent" and "guilty." Sorry boys, but right now it might be every man for himself.

Kevin Seifert • kseifert@statribune.com

singersp
12-18-2005, 06:58 AM
From the Star Tribune;

Wilf willing to suspend players, team lawyer says

Associated Press
Last update: December 16, 2005 at 9:22 AM

An attorney for the Minnesota Vikings said team owner Zygi Wilf will not hesitate to suspend the players facing charges stemming from the October boat trip on Lake Minnetonka.

The attorney said it doesn't matter to Wilf if the suspensions affect the team in the playoffs. He said Wilf will do "the right and honorable thing.'

But the attorney would not give a timetable for when Wilf might act.

Four players are facing charges of indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd behavior. They will appear in court Jan. 5.

The charges facing Daunte Culpepper, Bryant McKinnie, Fred Smoot and Moe Williams are misdemeanors. They all face a maximum of 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine for each of the three counts.