PDA

View Full Version : Elling stays

ItalianStallion
04-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Looks like Elling will most likely be our starting kicker again this year, ugh. He better be alot better or we will lose games again because of him.

Northlander
04-28-2004, 12:03 PM
:shock: Your Kidding, Right...

purplepat
04-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Keep in mind, a lot of first year kickers struggle somewhat. Many actually are signed and cut by two or three teams before they get their act together and beat somebody out. Unless a great proven vet (like Vanderjagt) is a June 1st cut, I'm willing to give Elling another year.

Northlander
04-28-2004, 12:40 PM
I Then sincerely hope his trainers can "Beef Up" his Kicking leg, According to last years stats & what I remember, Anything over 35 yards was a maybe at Best (although anything under 35 split the uprights :pirate: ).

Big Daddy
04-28-2004, 01:19 PM
"Northlander" wrote:

I Then sincerely hope his trainers can "Beef Up" his Kicking leg, According to last years stats & what I remember, Anything over 35 yards was a maybe at Best (although anything under 35 split the uprights :pirate: ).

Yea and I don't remember him getting very many touchbacks on kickoffs.

Sprewell27
04-28-2004, 05:24 PM
lets hope for a large improvement

purplehorn
04-28-2004, 05:43 PM
We signed Dan Orner from NC and I hope he wins the starting job.
Elling can get Dan his drinks when he needs one. Elling missed more
chip shots then a piece of swiss cheese has holes. C-ya Elling :cheers:

Viking_Spirit
04-28-2004, 06:21 PM
He better be alot better this year....................

kramer9guy
04-28-2004, 07:15 PM
During on-field warmups before the Viking/Cardinal game last season in Arizona, I saw Elling kicking 50+ yarders with room to spare from both ends of the field, outside on grass with a slight wind. From what i've read about his offseason progress, his leg strength has improved greatly. I think his struggles last year partly revolved around rookie jitters when it came to field goals and PAT's. Let's all just hope whoever is kicking this season can do a better all around job than Elling did last year. Hey, atleast he's not Doug Brien. But then again...he's no Fuad or Gary.

VikemanX84
04-28-2004, 08:01 PM
You can't judge kickers by their rookie year.

Viking_Spirit
04-28-2004, 08:21 PM
"VikemanX84" wrote:

Elling did pathetically bad, you also can judge a kicker of their rookie year. I just did.

VikemanX84
04-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Elling did NOT do pathetically bad. Doug Brien did pathetically bad. He is much better than Brien.

Elling showed a lot of upside, by shaky confidence.

Let me rephrase myself, you cannot make any judgement that is worth anything of a kicker based on their rookie year.

pepper 0n moss
04-28-2004, 10:08 PM
i think tice and co. didn't help elling's confidence much ... remember all those 4th downs we went for in enemy territory?

DoyleRulz84
04-28-2004, 10:22 PM
I have a gut feeling that he will be alot better in his second year.

AngloVike
04-29-2004, 03:35 AM
"purplepat" wrote:

Keep in mind, a lot of first year kickers struggle somewhat. Many actually are signed and cut by two or three teams before they get their act together and beat somebody out. Unless a great proven vet (like Vanderjagt) is a June 1st cut, I'm willing to give Elling another year.

Likewise, its one of the positions where the spotlight is fully on you and there is nowhere to hide. I'm willing to give him another year to see how things go, the experience from last season will be invaluable to Elling this year and we will see a big improvement.
Also I liked to see us go for it on 4th down rather than just trot out the FG unit, it shows that he has faith in the offense. Granted you're not going to make the conversion every time but I think its worth the risk trying

hawaiianvike21
04-29-2004, 04:21 AM
Lets just see how good elling can be and how far he can go through traing camp. Right now hes the favorite to win the job against the other rookie kicker. I think he can do better but the question is how much better?

purplehorn
04-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Elling sucks and absolutely cost us games and
a playoff berth. It's not too hard to kick field
goals with no rush in warm ups. They only count in
games.

triedandtruevikesfan
04-29-2004, 11:58 AM
keep in mind that even the players from last year still have to earn there spot on the team... thats what training camp is for. If the new punter shows during that time that he can do better, he will be our starter...

muchluv4smoot
04-29-2004, 12:31 PM
"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:

keep in mind that even the players from last year still have to earn there spot on the team... thats what training camp is for. If the new punter shows during that time that he can do better, he will be our starter...

Elling has a strong leg, but needs to work on his accuracy. It is nice to have a kicker that can make 50+ yarders. Tice needs to realize that kicking is all about confidence. If you go for it on 4th down all the time, your rookie kicker will loose confidence quickly. Look at the beginning of last year, elling had his confidence and played good. This kid only needs some confidence. I am sure, that if he sucked as much as some of you are saying he does, that we would have signed a FA kicker, or drafted a good one early in the draft. The fact that we only signed an undrafted kicker, should tell us that our coaching staff is confident in Elling, so we should be too, they probably know better than we do.

ItalianStallion
04-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Elling did not do terrible but his lack of ability did lose us a couple of games, which is enough to make you want to look elsewhere for a kicker.

purplehorn
04-29-2004, 12:48 PM
even the players from last year still have to earn there spot on the
Elling has a strong leg, but needs to work on his accuracy. It is nice to have a kicker that can make 50+ yarders. Tice needs to realize that kicking is all about confidence. If you go for it on 4th down all the time, your rookie kicker will loose confidence quickly. Look at the beginning of last year, elling had his confidence and played good. This kid only needs some confidence. I am sure, that if he sucked as much as some of you are saying he does, that we would have signed a FA kicker, or drafted a good one early in the draft. The fact that we only signed an undrafted kicker, should tell us that our coaching staff is confident in Elling, so we should be too, they probably know better than we do.[/quote][size=7px]

It would be nice to have a kicker that can make 50+ Elling was 1 for 3 over 50 yards 4 for 7 40 to 49 yards that is a whopping 50% over 40 yards. He was 6 for 8 30 to 39 yards. Those are the facts he sucks and
I hope Dan wins the job

muchluv4smoot
04-29-2004, 01:12 PM
"purplehorn" wrote:

even the players from last year still have to earn there spot on the
Elling has a strong leg, but needs to work on his [size=9px]accuracy. It is nice to have a kicker that can make 50+ yarders. Tice needs to realize that kicking is all about confidence. If you go for it on 4th down all the time, your rookie kicker will loose confidence quickly. Look at the beginning of last year, elling had his confidence and played good. This kid only needs some confidence. I am sure, that if he sucked as much as some of you are saying he does, that we would have signed a FA kicker, or drafted a good one early in the draft. The fact that we only signed an undrafted kicker, should tell us that our coaching staff is confident in Elling, so we should be too, they probably know better than we do.

It would be nice to have a kicker that can make 50+ Elling was 1 for 3 over 50 yards 4 for 7 40 to 49 yards that is a whopping 50% over 40 yards. He was 6 for 8 30 to 39 yards. Those are the facts he sucks and
I hope Dan wins the job[/quote]

Again, he has the leg, but needs to work on accuracy! I guess you know more than the coaches do about our kicker?

purplehorn
04-29-2004, 01:21 PM
OK smartass I think the coaches ARE the ones who
signed Dan Orner and also had as good of chance
going for it on forth down as making anything over
40 yards 50-50 to be exact. He has the leg? there
are alot of people that can kick a football 50 yards
it just doesn't count unless it goes through the uprights. I wonder are you Elling? why would you
defend the weakest link on the team? 50% over
40 yards that is the worst by any Viking kicker ever.

Mossville
04-29-2004, 03:46 PM
"VikemanX84" wrote:

Why not? how much harder is it to kick in the NFL as opposed to College? Oh wait, he must have to get adjusted to kicking in new stadiums...stressful work. Kicking is kicking and he is horrible. The pussy cant even get it in past the 10 on kick offs.

vikes2456
04-29-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm willing to give Elling aother year, but if he doesn't improve he needs to be cut

dart18
04-29-2004, 04:49 PM
i think that is the problem, we say he mat be better at kicking field goals this year, and even so his kickoffs are a big problem also, getting to the ten is not what i would call good position for the team to have the ball and space to run. If he is not solid in the preseason, really solid, we need to change before the season, i dont want him to cost us any more games

dart18
04-29-2004, 04:49 PM
hoc come my signature line turns into weird number/letters after a week or so of writing? Oh yeah and i am at 500 now, yeah for me

triedandtruevikesfan
04-29-2004, 04:54 PM
dart it happens if you change your avatar... you're going to have to go back into your profile and redo your sig.

JimFlyinsaucer
04-29-2004, 06:38 PM
How was Elling last preseason? Anybody see the games?

LosAngelis
04-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Kicking is 99.99999% mental. Doesn't matter how strong you are and often your mechanics are a given. If you lose your confidence, or never get it in the first place, you're kicking game is in serious jeopardy.

kramer9guy
04-29-2004, 10:51 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

Kicking is 99.99999% mental. Doesn't matter how strong you are and often your mechanics are a given. If you lose your confidence, or never get it in the first place, you're kicking game is in serious jeopardy.

LosAngelis, you are 100% correct.

ItalianStallion
04-29-2004, 11:28 PM
I disagree. Most people can't come in and kick a 45 yarder if they don't have the physical ability (and most don't). I agree that kicking is about 75 percent mental, but players like Gary/Morten Anderson could nail just about any field goal if they still had the leg strength. As it stands, they cannot.

You can't be a good NFL kicker without confidence, but you can't be a kicker period if you don't have the skill.

amavikesfan
04-29-2004, 11:38 PM
agreed stalion. i am, however, still nervous having elling as our kicker this year. here's hoping...

kramer9guy
04-30-2004, 11:28 AM
I still think that the physical ability of a professional NFL kicker is greatly outweighed by his ability to stay cool in stressfull situations and to focus. Any kicker who makes it into the NFL is going to have the physical ability (granted, some greater than others). But at this level, what makes and brakes kickers is their mental calmness and focus. That is why so many teams keep old school kickers around (like the Andersons). They have ice in thier veins (but thier leg strength has degraded since years back...its a catch 22). If Elling's mental state can mature. We will see dramatic improvements.

muchluv4smoot
04-30-2004, 04:18 PM
"purplehorn" wrote:

it just doesn't count unless it goes through the uprights. I wonder are you Elling? why would you

I am sorry, but if the coaches are so concerned about our kicking game, they wouldn't just settle for an undrafted rookie kicker. You guys need to realize that it is gonna be just as hard for this orner kid to come in and be a good kicker. Kicking is a mental game, and rookies just aren't prepared for the mental aspect of kicking in the pro's. Elling is a perfect example. Look at the beginning of last year, Elling did good in preseason and the beginning of the year, then he missed a few field goals and it got into his head. It didn't help that we were going for it on 4th down all the time. Luckily confidence can easily be fixed. I think it started with the fact that we didn't draft a kicker, or go after a veteran in FA. Elling will be a fine kicker in the NFL, give him a little time. Tell me some kickers, that come in and are successful in their rookie year. I can give you about 75% more guys, that struggled in their early years, and became great kickers.

muchluv4smoot
05-01-2004, 11:51 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"purplehorn" wrote:
[quote]OK smartass I think the coaches ARE the ones who

Also, for those of you who think that because we signed an undrafted rookie kicker, that means the coaches aren't happy with elling, I ask you to name an NFL team that goes into training camp and the preseason, with just one kicker. There are at least 2 kickers on EVERY roster for training camp and preseason, no matter what kicker is on their team. Even teams with pro bowl kickers, like Indy and new england, sign another kicker in the offseason. So you guys need to realize that this doesn't mean the coaches are worried about Elling's ability. If we signed a veteran, or drafted a kid, then that might be a sign that they aren't happy with elling. He was a rookie last year, lets not judge him solely on his rookie year. There are way way to many good players in this league, that had bad rookie seasons, kickers and other positions.

LosAngelis
05-02-2004, 01:05 AM
And mind you, you could have traded away two draft picks and taken a kicker in the third round or something idiotic like that.

muchluv4smoot
05-02-2004, 01:28 AM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

And mind you, you could have traded away two draft picks and taken a kicker in the third round or something idiotic like that.

Yes, I would say it is pretty obvious that the pack's coaching staff felt that they needed a new punter.

Northlander
05-02-2004, 03:30 AM

:occasion5:

Yep, Starters included - ie Moss, Pepp, Hovan ect,ect.
Dan Orner has the Mental & Physical Ability of a Starter, Unlike our current Kicker, Period.

UTVikfan
05-02-2004, 04:43 AM
Seems to me, we paid our dues with Elling, hopefully, we can reap the rewards this year. It takes a few for kickers, and for that matter, every other position. I am willing to give him a shot. And personally, I like going for it when we aren't suppose to, heheheheh, wouldn't that drive you NUTS if you were the coach on the other sideline? What if we make it? =D.

muchluv4smoot
05-03-2004, 11:02 PM
"Northlander" wrote:

:occasion5:

Yep, Starters included - ie Moss, Pepp, Hovan ect,ect.
Dan Orner has the Mental & Physical Ability of a Starter, Unlike our current Kicker, Period.

Orner has the physical and mental ability of a starter???? What the hell are you basing this on??? His college career? I believe elling showed physical and mental ability in college as well, enough to at least be drafted. If Orner was as good as some of you guys seem to think he is, he would have at least been drafted. AGAIN, EVERY TEAM, EVEN TEAMS WITH PRO BOWL KICKERS, HAS AT LEAST 2 KICKERS GOING INTO TRAINING CAMP AND PRESEASON, SO LETS NOT READ TOO MUCH INTO THE SIGNING OF AN UNDRAFTED KICKER.

muchluv4smoot
05-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Isn't it nice, that the only spot on our team that we are worried about right now, is the kicker. we have had so many holes on our teams in the past, that we were worried about a bunch of positions at this time of the year.

ItalianStallion
05-04-2004, 01:28 AM
I always thought Longwell was pretty good, what is going on in Pack town Los?

muchluv4smoot
05-06-2004, 05:05 PM
"purplehorn" wrote:

Here is a story from kansasviking.com/news

Elling Favored To Keep Kicking Job - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:30:38 -0700

Bill Williamson, of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings signed rookie free agent PK Dan Orner, but Vikings PK Aaron Elling is the heavy favorite to keep the placekicking job. "We like Aaron a lot," Vikings coach Mike Tice said. "We didn't get a veteran, because we believe Aaron is ready to make strides."

Weird, that sounds exactly what I have been trying to tell all you Elling haters. I never said that I liked elling, I said that the coaches must, and they clearly do. If they believe he can be good, then I will have to trust them and not some fans who don't like Elling.