PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Lions

Cissney the Viking
04-26-2004, 12:23 AM
I was just wondering if anybody else is worried about the Lions?
I know the VIKINGS are still better, but the Lions will fill the role the Packers have in our divison when the Packers fall down and can't get up!

VIKINGS are the KINGS of the NFC North :king:

Deleted_User_2360
04-26-2004, 06:58 AM
"Cissney the Viking" wrote:

I was just wondering if anybody else is worried about the Lions?
I know the VIKINGS are still better, but the Lions will fill the role the Packers have in our divison when the Packers fall down and can't get up!

VIKINGS are the KINGS of the NFC North :king:

I'm no more worried than before. It seems that no matter what team
the Lions put on the field, they play us tough. Yes, I believe they will
be better this year...maybe 9-7, but I think the vikes have the "potential"
for 12 wins this year......The coaches have to step up this year and
Daunte needs to perform in the clutch. If this happens, we're in for a
great season.

ItalianStallion
04-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Putting a couple of "Rookies" on the awful Lions doesn't really scare me too much. WE still have a better offense than them, and our Defense is also better so really what is there to be afrad of? :)

purplehorn
04-26-2004, 09:20 AM
The Detroit Who?

triedandtruevikesfan
04-26-2004, 02:03 PM
I agree that they will be improved this year... but not enough to have to worry about them... hopefully they will do us a favor and beat the pack again though... I'm more worried about the bears then the pack or the lions though

Big C
04-27-2004, 12:31 PM
I'm not too worried. They have two good receivers and good RB this season. However I am still to be impressed by their QB. For a QB with at least a year or two in the NFL he didn't seem to be much of a threat. No matter how good your receivers are, if you can't get the ball to them, they are ineffective. Here is how I see the NFC NOrth standings at the end of the year:

Vikes
Lions
Pack
Bears

PS: Mark my words though, the Lions WON'T be pushovers this season.

sednem
04-27-2004, 01:45 PM
I saw these facts pointed out on another board

Last year the Lions were :cry:

32 or dead last in offense
24 in overall defense
they have lost 24 away games in a row
Williams is a rookie and is unproven
Jones is a rookie and unproven
Rogers has only played 4 and a half games
Harrington is unproven at best

Lets not get all excited about the Lions they have alot to prove still and have to get rid of that losing mentallity before they will ever be winners.

GO VIKINGS :thumbright:

vikings_fan66
04-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Iam a little worried .....they have great potential

silvermane
06-22-2004, 08:10 PM
well i'm honored you guys are talking about us and don't have us on the bottom anymore!

look i'm not going to claim the lions will turn things around in one season...i have suffered years of heartbreak as a lion fan and nobody is more skeptical of them than me.

but keep in mind the lions did other things in the offseason besides the draft. the draft picks are what made the most media noise but we have shored up a few other areas as well. bringing in damien woody at guard will make a big difference on the line. on defense fernando bryant is not a star but he is a solid corner who will be a good compliment to dre bly. i don't have high expectations for safety brock marion but i think he will avoid giving up big plays...right now that's enough of an improvement. boss bailey has looked very good in workouts from what i've read. he is awesome on the blitz and i am hopeful teddy lehman will add even more to our linebackers. now marcus bell will help out the defensive line on the inside but that is probably the weakest area of the defense right now.

joey heisman hasn't had much to work with on the offense and he hasn't had good protection for years. now he has a promising option in the backfield to run the ball, and two very fast playmaking wide recievers and decent 3 and 4 targets in streets and hakim. all this under a coach like mariucci who knows how to make offense work...it has me pretty excited.

yeah i know what you're thinking, they still won't match the vikes right? well i agree with you (sadly!) that the vikings look the best in the division coming into this year and it won't surprise me if they win it. but for a lions fan, this year has the potential to be a major change from the way things have gone...although i still have high hopes the ford family will sell the lions to someone else to keep this going.

triedandtruevikesfan
06-22-2004, 08:28 PM
welcome to the board silvermane! Its great to see another fan from a different team that actually has something to say!! Stick around, we all may be biased towards the Vikes, but we all love football in general and love people that can carry on a conversation without lots of idiotic remarks!

magicci
06-22-2004, 08:30 PM
I think Dre Bly could be pro bowl material

silvermane
06-22-2004, 08:32 PM
"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:

welcome to the board silvermane! Its great to see another fan from a different team that actually has something to say!! Stick around, we all may be biased towards the Vikes, but we all love football in general and love people that can carry on a conversation without lots of idiotic remarks!

thanks triedandtrue i like to check out other teams messge boards just to see what the fans have to say. i figured i would be ok here when i saw "trash the pack" in the ad!

purplepat
06-28-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm not "worried" about the Lions YET.

But I believe that they have improved themselves to the point that they will be one of those teams that can win "any given Sunday".

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Lions beat both the Packers and Vikings this season. They could go 0-6 in the division as well, but I doubt it. They are still missing some key pieces to be serious contenders, but give them another year or two and they will be playoff material.

purplepat
06-28-2004, 04:22 PM
"magicci" wrote:

He should be, considering he made the Pro Bowl in 2003.

hawaiianvike21
06-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Let me just tell you something and i aint bashing the lions but they NEED to win on the road. They havent beat somebody on the road since 2000. :shock: Im also sure theyll get there first one this year but how long will it be in the season before they get there first one? :roll:

ItalianStallion
06-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey hawaiin I agree with you, If you can't win on the road the best you will EVER be is .500. But remember when we put together a nice road losing streak spanning almost 2 seasons?

DiehardVikesFan
06-29-2004, 01:47 AM
The Lions are nothing to be afraid of for now, unless Joey Harrington has a breakout year. In a couple of years though... :shock:

magicci
06-29-2004, 09:21 AM
"purplepat" wrote:

"magicci" wrote:

He should be, considering he made the Pro Bowl in 2003.

i meant again not everyone can make ittwice in a row

silvermane
07-02-2004, 11:22 AM
one reason detroit had such a terrible road record last year is because we ranked near the bottom in the nfl in time of possession. key to winning on the road is to have a shutdown defense that can force the other team's offense off the field. last year the lions didn't have this and other teams controlled the game. it also helps to score early get a good lead and take the crowd out of the game. of course that is easier said than done with some crowds.

with an improved defense this year and an offense that has more weapons i think the lions can end their problems on the road.

DiehardVikesFan
07-05-2004, 07:45 PM
A few things to consider...

1.) Joey Harrington hasn't proven to be a good NFL quarterback.
2.) Is Kevin Jones currently much of an upgrade over James Steward? I don't think so, Kevin Jones will take a year or two to develop.
3.) Rookie wideouts don't make an impact their rookie year USUALLY, and the Lions have a rookie and a second year as their top two.

casper
07-07-2004, 02:35 AM
I agree with the statement the DETROIT WHO :scratch: beside anyone remember the statement something like the Black and Blue Division, those days when, All eyes where on our division due to the enjoyment of the games played within our division, :idea: the Lions have alway had a good Purrrrr but never any real ROAR no worries here :cheers:

hawaiianvike21
07-08-2004, 04:42 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Hey hawaiin I agree with you, If you can't win on the road the best you will EVER be is .500. But remember when we put together a nice road losing streak spanning almost 2 seasons?

Ya that sucked and it was so reliefing once we beat the saints with dauntes two point conversion. Classic game. http://www.nfl-fans.com/html/emoticons/party.gif

UTVikfan
07-08-2004, 10:03 AM
From what I have seen of Harrington, I think he will get it together. I could easily be wrong. Rookies don't scare me, but RB's can become really good their rookie year. Just like Parcell's gamble on Jones, we will see. The potential the Lions have put on the table IS scary, but, its not this year. Any team can beat anyone "on a given Sunday" already, but the potential the Lions have is getting (as a vikes fan) ugly. Nice to see you on, Silvermane. I enjoyed your posts, and hope we getta see you around a bit. I admire the fact that your a Lions fan, while they are not so good. I respect true fans, and you HAVE to be one!!!

muchluv4smoot
07-08-2004, 04:30 PM
"silvermane" wrote:

one reason detroit had such a terrible road record last year is because we ranked near the bottom in the nfl in time of possession. key to winning on the road is to have a shutdown defense that can force the other team's offense off the field. last year the lions didn't have this and other teams controlled the game. it also helps to score early get a good lead and take the crowd out of the game. of course that is easier said than done with some crowds.

with an improved defense this year and an offense that has more weapons i think the lions can end their problems on the road.

As far as your defense, i still see that as a big weak area on your team. I think brock marion on his decline and bryant is only an average CB. While i agree that they will be a better D, you can trust a viking fan to know when a teams D will be bad, since we haven't had a good one in years. I luv shaun rogers, dre bly, and boss, but think teddy lehman was a huge reach. I don't know if teddy is gonna start this year, but i bet if he and dontarrious thomas both start, dontarrious will have a much better year. I think the lions need a few more playmakers on their D, before they can have a good enough D to win consistently on the road.

As far as the lions offense, I like all of your 4 young stars, in harrington, roy williams, charles rogers, and kevin williams. There is just way too much youth. I do think harrington will eventually become a good QB in the NFL, it will take longer than expected, especially since he has 2 extremely young WR's starting. I like kevin jones a lot, since i am a virginia tech fan, but he will take some time before he will shine in the NFL. He got a lot of his rushing yards in college by doing things he won't be able to do in the NFL, with the speed of the NFL's players. The improved lions O-line will help, but it wil take him some time and I wouldn't expect a huge year from him.

The lions are definately a much more talented team on offense and should be improved on D, but they are still a year or 2 away from challenging for the north title. They will however, be a very dangerous team to play nexy season. They will have some games where they explode and look awesome, but they will also have some where they can't do anything and look horrible. I do understand why lions fans are so excited, but I think 8 wins will be a big success for them this season.

silvermane
07-09-2004, 11:31 AM
i have been a detroit lions fan since monte clark was coach and won't ever be anything else! things have been bad these last few seasons but true lions fans remember the good years we had in the 80s and 90s and hang in there.

the lions aren't thinking bryant will be like champ bailey, i think they just hope he won't give up the big plays. bly is the shutdown corner without a doubt. now that barrett green is gone i don't see why lehman would not become a starter this season it just might be later on. the lions lb roster lacks anyone else with the speed and tackling ability of lehman especially on the weak side. but lehman has been working the middle position in practice so i think the coaches are just seeing what he can do, testing his abilities. i don't think he will have an outstanding rookie season. but i do think it won't take him long to become a pro bowl player.

harrington's good qualities get overlooked by a lot of people. he is a smart qb and knows the offense well. his release last year looked a lot quicker than it ever has and i do think he is getting better. he has the physical tools to compete. but his problems are first of all he is not very mobile. he needs to learn to scramble when it becomes necessary. but he was only sacked 9 times last year...i think the lions line is much better at pass protection than they are at run blocking, something i hope improves with bringing in damien woody. harrington's biggest problem of course is his inconsistency. there are times when he is a very accurate qb and times when he makes some of the worst throws i have ever seen. he reads the field pretty well and finds his targets but his timing needs improvement. part of this last year was his receivers though minus rogers. hakim is a great route runner and a decent receiving option but is not the most athletic guy on the team and is unable to beat good coverage and make the catches that rogers can or that williams will this year. charles rogers recovery this year has surprised everybody. he looks fully recovered from his collarbone injury but of course coaches are cautious. he is back to full speed in workouts and has also been working out and adding muscle this off season. he will be the second most productive receiver in the division after moss. also i liked that the lions got tai streets. i had been hoping we would go after him this off season and i think he will make a solid number 3 receiver.

to me it will be a successful season if we sweep the bears, beat indy at thanksgiving, and go at least 8-8 with some of those wins coming on the road.

VKG4LFE
07-11-2004, 01:18 PM
That would be a good season for the lions silvermane. Beating the bears twice would be great!! Are the Bears the lions biggest rivalry just because they are the closest (at least in the division). I know the biggest rivalry for the vikings is the packers. When I met my girlfriend (she's a packer fan) she said that the packers biggest rivalry is the bears, just because they are the closest, but it has now almost turned into a bigger rivalry the pack and the vikings!! I was just wondering.

muchluv4smoot
07-12-2004, 06:40 PM
"silvermane" wrote:

i have been a detroit lions fan since monte clark was coach and won't ever be anything else! things have been bad these last few seasons but true lions fans remember the good years we had in the 80s and 90s and hang in there.

the lions aren't thinking bryant will be like champ bailey, i think they just hope he won't give up the big plays. bly is the shutdown corner without a doubt. now that barrett green is gone i don't see why lehman would not become a starter this season it just might be later on. the lions lb roster lacks anyone else with the speed and tackling ability of lehman especially on the weak side. but lehman has been working the middle position in practice so i think the coaches are just seeing what he can do, testing his abilities. i don't think he will have an outstanding rookie season. but i do think it won't take him long to become a pro bowl player.

harrington's good qualities get overlooked by a lot of people. he is a smart qb and knows the offense well. his release last year looked a lot quicker than it ever has and i do think he is getting better. he has the physical tools to compete. but his problems are first of all he is not very mobile. he needs to learn to scramble when it becomes necessary. but he was only sacked 9 times last year...i think the lions line is much better at pass protection than they are at run blocking, something i hope improves with bringing in damien woody. harrington's biggest problem of course is his inconsistency. there are times when he is a very accurate qb and times when he makes some of the worst throws i have ever seen. he reads the field pretty well and finds his targets but his timing needs improvement. part of this last year was his receivers though minus rogers. hakim is a great route runner and a decent receiving option but is not the most athletic guy on the team and is unable to beat good coverage and make the catches that rogers can or that williams will this year. charles rogers recovery this year has surprised everybody. he looks fully recovered from his collarbone injury but of course coaches are cautious. he is back to full speed in workouts and has also been working out and adding muscle this off season. he will be the second most productive receiver in the division after moss. also i liked that the lions got tai streets. i had been hoping we would go after him this off season and i think he will make a solid number 3 receiver.

to me it will be a successful season if we sweep the bears, beat indy at thanksgiving, and go at least 8-8 with some of those wins coming on the road.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you about lehman. I don't think he will ever be a pro bowl LB. IMO, he will be a bust, average at best in the NFL.

What I don't get is why is the bears/packers rivalry is supose to be so big. To me it seems like the packers/vikes rivalry has surpassed it, yet the packers/bears is always talked about as one of, if not, the biggest rivals in the NFL and sports.

Webby
07-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Hey, the Lions had us beat as demonstrated in the photo here a game or so back; they just have a hard time with consistency. Raw talent is there in pockets, and Mooch may surprise everyone...

Still, no higher than 3rd this year. Potential to beat the misfit hogblowers in Wisconsing though.

http://www.purplepride.org/images/batchbj.jpg

triedandtruevikesfan
07-12-2004, 07:04 PM
:shock: :3some: thats quite the picture webby!

sdvikefan
07-12-2004, 07:28 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

What I don't get is why is the bears/packers rivalry is supose to be so big. To me it seems like the packers/vikes rivalry has surpassed it, yet the packers/bears is always talked about as one of, if not, the biggest rivals in the NFL and sports.

THe Packers/Vikes has surpassed it but only in the last 10 years when both teams have gotten to be so competitive at the same time. You have to remember the Bears Packers rivalry goes back about 80 years and was in its prime before the Vikings were even a team. It's the oldest rivalry in the NFL. Now that the Packers have been dominating the Bears we have become a much more exciting rival, something people are starting to recognize.

hawaiianvike21
07-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Ya that pic was before the lions vikings home game during the 2001 season. We won but barely as time ran out on the lions. 31-26 and we nearly blew a 25 point lead. how sad is taht. :angryfire:

silvermane
07-13-2004, 07:48 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

That would be a good season for the lions silvermane. Beating the bears twice would be great!! Are the Bears the lions biggest rivalry just because they are the closest (at least in the division). I know the biggest rivalry for the vikings is the packers. When I met my girlfriend (she's a packer fan) she said that the packers biggest rivalry is the bears, just because they are the closest, but it has now almost turned into a bigger rivalry the pack and the vikings!! I was just wondering.

depends on who you ask...most lion fans see chicago as our biggest rival across the lake. maybe its because they are closest or maybe its because their fans come on our websites and talk trash all the time. we also rub elbows with them a lot at the games. but that's not to say we don't hate the packers and vikings too especially randy moss. i know you guys love him and he is an awesome receiver but i can't stand him! but i know a lot of bear and packer fans, but no viking fans which is one reason i came to this board. didn't take long to figure out who you guys hate. trash the pack...i like it!

pretty funny picture by the way. i think thats one photo that charlie batch would not autograph!

VKG4LFE
07-13-2004, 07:55 PM
I consider the lions a rival too, but just not as big as the packers. All of the teams in our division are really rivals to me, the pack just more than the others. For me it just has to do with geographical ties!! If I were a Lions fan I would probably really hate the bears! I always hated Charlie Batch. I don't think he was that great, but he always found a way to beat us, somehow!!