PDA

View Full Version : Where's Daunte?

briboy75
11-24-2005, 09:06 AM
About a week ago I heard that no one has heard from Daunte in a while and people were suspecting that he was in a state of depression. He wasn't returning Tice's calls. Anybody heard anything new about this?

Caine
11-24-2005, 09:36 AM
"briboy75" wrote:

About a week ago I heard that no one has heard from Daunte in a while and people were suspecting that he was in a state of depression. He wasn't returning Tice's calls. Anybody heard anything new about this?

If you were considered a Pro-Bowl Quarterback, but had lead your team to only 2 unimpressive Victories in 6 games, got hurt for the season, then watched a beat up, washed up, wuss-armed back-up come in and win 3 straight, wouldn't YOU be depressed? I know I would be.

If you spent the entire preseason being told by everyone from the Coaches to teh Media to your next-door neighbor that it's "Your Team"...then watched some other guy win with it where you couldn't, wouldn't YOU be depressed? I would be.

This period isn't about Daunte just healing his knee. It's also got to be about Daunte getting his head right. When he comes back - and I'm sure he will - he has to be able to step up and perform to the level expected of him...not fall apart and sputter like he did this season. What's more, he knows this better than anyone.

If Brad continues to win, people are increasingly going to look at Daunte and say, "Why couldn't YOU do that?" No one is going to look at the passing stats and say, "Geez, your numbers are waaaay better than Johnson's", they're all going to look at the win-loss columns. And, right now, Johnson has more wins after playing half as many games.

That's pressure.

Most importantly, Daunte has to understand the fact that the best Leader isn't the guy who can do everything the best...it's the guy who can get those around him to do everything better.

So, depressed? yeah, I'd say he has reason to be. No one is saying, "If only we had Daunte back". All I have heard is, "If only we had Moss back". That has to hurt.

All in all, Daunte has a lot to recover from...and his knee injury is just the tip of the iceberg.

I sure hope he does it.

Caine

DPep11
11-24-2005, 09:43 AM
All of Dauntes life he has had to overcome adversity, and this should be no different. He'll learn and he'll correct it. I agree with everything Caine said, but he'll overcome it.

NordicNed
11-24-2005, 09:52 AM
The guy just had a major surgery....Probably feels like crap...

I've had a couple big surgerys, and trust me, for the first week or so, your so doped up on pain killers and stuff, that you don't want to talk so much to people and you do get alot of quiet rest that is needed..

I'm sure he's doing fine, just going thru the first stag of healing..

He has a long way to go, but I think C-Pep is strong in mind and will..........

He will be back........

audioghost
11-24-2005, 10:07 AM
I heard an interview from Tice on Wednesday and he said that Daunte was back in the Twin Cities on Saturday and he's been rehabbing at winter park since Monday...Tice also said that Peppy is very high spirited and already working his keyster off in rehab.....

http://www.startribune.com/stories/124/5744200.html

listen and learn my friends....

umaguma1979
11-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Its kinda interesting how every three to fours years everything changes. One day, fans, the media, the players & coaches, think a team like the 2000 Ravens are the way to play football. The next day, everyone wants a team like the 1998 Vikings. Fantasy football has had a negetive impact that counters the term winning. I guess bottomline, its all about wining. Its not how many yards you pass or run....its how many W's and L's.

Ever since 1998, I think Vikings fans have gotten used to the big play offense - but since 1999 - look at how many games where we lost were lopsided. I like the balance on our team right now. Hopefully, this whole trama Culpepper has had to indure will be beneficial to him (take a seat and watch) in the long run.

mvikes84
11-24-2005, 04:40 PM
"Caine" wrote:

"briboy75" wrote:

If you were considered a Pro-Bowl Quarterback, but had lead your team to only 2 unimpressive Victories in 6 games, got hurt for the season, then watched a beat up, washed up, wuss-armed back-up come in and win 3 straight, wouldn't YOU be depressed? I know I would be.

If you spent the entire preseason being told by everyone from the Coaches to teh Media to your next-door neighbor that it's "Your Team"...then watched some other guy win with it where you couldn't, wouldn't YOU be depressed? I would be.

This period isn't about Daunte just healing his knee. It's also got to be about Daunte getting his head right. When he comes back - and I'm sure he will - he has to be able to step up and perform to the level expected of him...not fall apart and sputter like he did this season. What's more, he knows this better than anyone.

If Brad continues to win, people are increasingly going to look at Daunte and say, "Why couldn't YOU do that?" No one is going to look at the passing stats and say, "Geez, your numbers are waaaay better than Johnson's", they're all going to look at the win-loss columns. And, right now, Johnson has more wins after playing half as many games.

That's pressure.

Most importantly, Daunte has to understand the fact that the best Leader isn't the guy who can do everything the best...it's the guy who can get those around him to do everything better.

So, depressed? yeah, I'd say he has reason to be. No one is saying, "If only we had Daunte back". All I have heard is, "If only we had Moss back". That has to hurt.

All in all, Daunte has a lot to recover from...and his knee injury is just the tip of the iceberg.

I sure hope he does it.
I don't! We are doing great without this OVERRATED, OVERPAID TURNOVER MACHINE. Let's hope he doesn't ever return any phone calls and disappears out of Minnesota for good.
Caine

Ltrey33
11-24-2005, 05:23 PM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

Its kinda interesting how every three to fours years everything changes. One day, fans, the media, the players & coaches, think a team like the 2000 Ravens are the way to play football. The next day, everyone wants a team like the 1998 Vikings. Fantasy football has had a negetive impact that counters the term winning. I guess bottomline, its all about wining. Its not how many yards you pass or run....its how many W's and L's.

Ever since 1998, I think Vikings fans have gotten used to the big play offense - but since 1999 - look at how many games where we lost were lopsided. I like the balance on our team right now. Hopefully, this whole trama Culpepper has had to indure will be beneficial to him (take a seat and watch) in the long run.

I never understood that argument about fantasy football. People are saying it hurts the game, and from a fans' perspective I think to a certain extent it does. Merely for the fact that some people are just freaking nutso and go all out for it. I don't understand how it hurts the games though. Is Peyton Manning or Ladanian Tomlinson standing out there going, "gee, i better get some good stats today or Larry Winklestein's Yahoo Sports fantasy football team won't win!" I just don't see how fantasy football affects how the players play the game any more than an office pool pick 'em league does.

umaguma1979
11-25-2005, 02:21 AM
It hurts the game because NFL teams are in business of selling tickets, merchandise, and obtaining as many nationally televised games as possible. Look at McCombs - get a couple of fantasy superstars (moss & culpepper) and sell tickets. The average fan is the ultimate customer of the NFL and there are an overwhelming # of people interested in fantasy football.

briboy75
11-25-2005, 04:25 AM
ok, back to daunte. im guessing that no one has heard anything about his status?

umaguma1979
11-25-2005, 04:27 AM
Naw....Tice said in his last press conference that Pep's spirits are up and he is back in Minny rehabbing at Winter Park.

Caine
11-25-2005, 04:28 AM
"mvikes84" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

"briboy75" wrote:

That's pressure.

I sure hope he does it.

Caine I don't! We are doing great without this OVERRATED, OVERPAID TURNOVER MACHINE. Let's hope he doesn't ever return any phone calls and disappears out of Minnesota for good.

When quoting, make sure you put your comments on the OUTSIDE of the quote box (Like I did with your edited comment above), or it looks like I said it...

Or, use color within the quote box to differentiate between commentators.

Caine

briboy75
11-25-2005, 07:25 AM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

Naw....Tice said in his last press conference that Pep's spirits are up and he is back in Minny rehabbing at Winter Park.

ok thanks.. thats what i was looking for. glad his spirits are up.

magicci
11-26-2005, 09:00 AM
im really happy his spirits are up he is gonna need it.

jackyl
11-26-2005, 02:09 PM
He's back in town. I saw him around a couple times last week.

umaguma1979
11-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Hopefully not on the highway 494 strip ala Tommy Kramer.....

PurpleRide
11-26-2005, 05:14 PM
It's not daunte's fault he was placed in such a large hole in the beginning of the season, the line couldnt block, daunte was sacked too many times. If you blame the losses on him you need to watch football a little closer. The d is playing better the vikings are not down by 14 points plus they are playing worse teams, besides the giants, detroit and the packers are terrible teams, the giants did not show up. Johnson is old and cannot make a deep pass for the life of him, If anyone thinks he is better than pep...good luck thinking that, pull out the faded johnson jerseys and the zuba's and enjoy the day! Pep is the future and he will bring the SUPER BOWL TITLE TO MN.

umaguma1979
11-26-2005, 07:19 PM
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE6DF103FF933A25757C0A966958260

Hopefully it never comes to this for Pep.

magicci
11-26-2005, 07:33 PM
pepper will be back, the way he is going right now it seems that his injury is not career ending, daunte will be back and although he will not be as mobile as before (but who knows look at mcgahee) im betting he will be as effiecient as ever.

kramer9guy
11-26-2005, 07:49 PM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE6DF103FF933A25757C0A966958260

Hopefully it never comes to this for Pep.

Unless Daunte retires at the top of his game with a Super Bowl win ala John Elway, most QB's are either demoted, traded (whether it be their choice or not) or forced into retirement.

It's inevitable.

There is the exception though. Dan Marino prolonged the rebuilding of the Dolphins franchise due to his legendary status among Dolphins fans and refusal to retire (kinda like what Brett Favre is doing in GB). Marino stuck around breaking records, not winning championships.

And not many Green Bay fans want Favre gone and playing in another uniform, but the reality of the situation is that the longer he sticks around, the longer it's gonna take the team to rebuild. But, that's fine with me. Favre is an interception machine. I hope he sticks around for a couple more years...

Regarding Daunte, the jury is still out. We'll have to wait and see how he performs when he comes back. I hope better than ever.

umaguma1979
11-26-2005, 08:37 PM
The difference between Marino & farve......Farve stills plays as good as ever.....Marino really sucked those last few years after his achilles injury. He even looked terrible (so slow) handing the ball off.

kramer9guy
11-26-2005, 08:54 PM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

The difference between Marino & farve......Farve stills plays as good as ever.....Marino really sucked those last few years after his achilles injury. He even looked terrible (so slow) handing the ball off.

To say that Favre is playing as good as ever is debatable, but yes, he is better than Marino was during his final years.

mnvikes61
11-26-2005, 09:01 PM
if i'm not mistaken Favre leads the lead in interceptions. yup he's doing as good as he normally does :lol:

Wiggles67
11-26-2005, 09:13 PM
"mnvikes61" wrote:

if i'm not mistaken Favre leads the lead in interceptions. yup he's doing as good as he normally does :lol:

that definately does seem to be the trend the past few years for good old farve :cool:

SamDawg84
11-26-2005, 09:17 PM
"Wiggles67" wrote:

"mnvikes61" wrote:

if i'm not mistaken Favre leads the lead in interceptions. yup he's doing as good as he normally does lol

that definately does seem to be the trend the past few years for good old farve coollol nice name wiggles

SamDawg84
11-26-2005, 09:19 PM
daunte will remain our starter i bet. it would be just plain dumb to start b-rad (i like the guy) when we can start a guy who can run and throw. or if daunte doesnt work at qb we could use him as a fb

umaguma1979
11-26-2005, 09:55 PM
The Packers (and I am not a fan) are literally pulling guys off the street to play - its amazing Farve is doing as well as he has. The lack of talent and ruptured O-line is forcing him into throws he normally does not make. But he is scrambling well and his arm looks as live as ever.

magicci
11-26-2005, 10:01 PM
favre is in great shape right now and is very mobile in the pocket at the moment boy would it have been scary if favre was this athletic a few years ago.

kramer9guy
11-26-2005, 10:22 PM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

The Packers (and I am not a fan) are literally pulling guys off the street to play - its amazing Farve is doing as well as he has. The lack of talent and ruptured O-line is forcing him into throws he normally does not make. But he is scrambling well and his arm looks as live as ever.

True, but interceptions are due as much to a QB's decision making abilities as anything else. Look at our INT #'s since Daunte left and Brad came in, it has been the same team (patchwork O-line and all), just a new QB.

Wiggles67
11-26-2005, 10:36 PM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

"Wiggles67" wrote:

"mnvikes61" wrote:

if i'm not mistaken Favre leads the lead in interceptions. yup he's doing as good as he normally does lol

that definately does seem to be the trend the past few years for good old farve coollol nice name wiggles

hehe there's a good story that goes behind and I was thinking about sharing in the other thread about how you got your nickname but I dont know if its too appropiate! :wink:

singersp
12-02-2005, 04:38 AM
Vikings: Culpepper to continue rehab in Florida

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
Last update: December 1, 2005 at 8:28 PM

Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper will head home to Orlando next Thursday to continue rehabilitation on his injured right knee.

Culpepper, who tore the anterior cruciate, medial collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments on Oct. 30, has been rehabilitating at Winter Park in recent weeks. He will work with a Florida-based physical therapist recommended by Dr. James Andrews, who performed the surgery on Culpepper on Nov. 15.

The Vikings, of course, will keep close tabs on him, and Culpepper will return to the Twin Cities for occasional checkups. "We'll be in contact with [the facility in Florida] on a day-to-day basis," said Chuck Barta, the Vikings' head athletic trainer.

Other than a statement issued Tuesday evening, Culpepper has not addressed the media since the injury. Vikings coach Mike Tice speculated last month that Culpepper probably was "depressed," but he seemed much more positive about the quarterback's mind-set on Thursday.

"He is doing really well," Tice said. "His body language is great. He is working extremely hard. I'm sure his rehab will come along much faster than others who have the same type of injury because he is such a warrior."

Tice went on to say that Culpepper's "spirits are great. He is in a tremendous mood." Tice and his wife, Diane, plan to spend this afternoon with Culpepper and his wife, Kim.