PDA

View Full Version : New Vikings Quarterback Still Poses Threat To Packers

singersp
11-18-2005, 02:02 PM
New Vikings Quarterback Still Poses Threat To Packers

by Jeff Fedotin, Packers.com
posted 11/17/2005

You would think the Green Bay Packers would relish facing the Minnesota Vikings without their three-time Pro Bowl quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

But the Packers know the Vikings new starter, 14-year veteran Brad Johnson, who earned the role after Culpepper tore three knee ligaments on Oct. 30, presents his own challenges.

"They're a different team. You've got to prepare for a different guy. So it somewhat gives them the edge," cornerback Al Harris said. "We know what we're getting with Daunte. With Brad we haven't faced him a lot."

From 1992 to 1999 Johnson went through his first stint with the Vikings, playing the Packers twice-a-year. But none of the current Packers defensive players were with the team during that era.

But as they watch tape, the Packers are quickly learning some of the attributes Johnson brings to the table. He has great leadership skills honed while guiding the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the XXXVII Super Bowl title. Johnson also has a quick release and a keen ability to read the defense. With that knowledge he will make more audibles, changing the play from pass to run or vice versa, than Culpepper.

"Obviously Daunte is and has been the leader of that football team," Head Coach Mike Sherman said. "But Brad has come in and done a nice job of managing the game for them and been accurate."

Indeed Johnson has thrown three touchdowns and zero interceptions on the season while Culpepper threw twice as many interceptions as touchdowns. One could argue that Johnson had served as a steadying influence, quarterbacking the team to back-to-back wins.

The Packers defense, however, will have two less things to worry about. Johnson does not possess the arm strength of Culpepper or stretch the field in the same way. Culpepper averaged 7.2 yards-a-completion while Johnson averages 5.5.

"The short passing game is his forte," Vikings head coach Mike Tice said.

Johnson is not the scrambling threat of the man he replaced either. Culpepper burned the Packers for 41 rushing yards on seven carries during their last meeting on Oct. 23, but the 37-year old Johnson has only topped that mark during an entire season four times.

"We're not going to have a whole lot of quarterback draws in our system," Tice said.

Although the Packers will tweak their defensive schemes according to each quarterback, they will not drastically change their gameplan.

"We just play our foundation," safety Mark Roman said. "That's the way we go out and attack people. We're not just trying to go out there each and every week and invent a whole bunch of new schemes. We'll keep it pretty textbook and do what we do."

As usual the Packers defense will focus on stopping the running game first. For the Vikings that consists of the two-headed attack of Mewelde Moore and Michael Bennett.

When it comes to stopping to the passing game, the Packers know that while Johnson has never thrown for 4,717 yards and 39 touchdowns like Culpepper did last year, he has played in two Pro Bowls.

"It's not that Brad is a better quarterback than Daunte or Daunte's a better quarterback than Brad," Harris said. "They're two different guys, and you really can't compare the two."

singersp
11-18-2005, 02:15 PM
From The Mercury News;
Posted on Fri, Nov. 18, 2005

Brad Johnson avoids costly miscues for Vikings

BY GORDON WITTENMYER
Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. PAUL, Minn. - He won't win any MVP awards, and eye-popping passing numbers are the stuff of wishful thinking.

But Brad Johnson already is helping the Vikings turn their season around by following the first rule of replacing a Pro Bowl starting quarterback:

Don't mess up.

"If you throw picks and turn the ball over, you are going to lose,' said the 14th-year NFL veteran. "Sometimes you have to force it and bad things happen. For the most part I just try and make the right decision.'

It has worked well enough for a 2-0 record since he took over as the starter for injured Daunte Culpepper, who underwent season-ending knee surgery this week.

While Johnson hasn't exactly inspired visions of fireworks with his production - he passed for just 11 yards in the first half Sunday against the New York Giants - he has played a significant role in each of those victories because he hasn't thrown an interception.

In fact, he doesn't have one in 81 attempts this season. That's the most attempts without an interception in the NFL this year, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

"That's his thing,' said Vikings tight end Jermaine Wiggins, the team leader in receptions and receiving yards. "He's been in the league a long time. He likes to get the ball out of his hand quick, and he's not going to put himself in a bad situation.'

That was an easily overlooked key to the Vikings' final-minute victory over the New York Giants in New Jersey on Sunday - a game in which the defense scored a touchdown and the special teams scored two, along with the winning field goal.

"If we would have gone out there and gave the turnovers back it probably would've been a different story,' Vikings coach Mike Tice said. "It is a big, big important thing for him to protect the football.'

In large part because he did that Sunday, the Vikings earned their first road victory since last year's wild-card playoff game at Green Bay. And as they prepare for another trip to Green Bay for Monday's first game at Lambeau since then - looking to push their record to .500 for the first time this season - Johnson figures to be in the spotlight again, if not on the marquee.

"Turnovers and lack of turnovers in this league are the stats that will never go away,' Tice said. "Those are the most important stats in winning and losing in this league and have been longer than I've been in the league.'

Consider that the Packers (2-7 this year) have committed only one turnover while taking away eight combined in their two victories this season, including in Sunday's victory over Atlanta. They have a minus-14 turnover margin in their seven losses.

The Vikings, on the other hand, were a dismal 27th in the NFL in turnover ratio before Johnson took over. Their plus-6 margin in the past two games has lifted them into a tie for 17th at minus-2 for the season.

The biggest difference is at quarterback. Although Culpepper is the more explosive offensive player, he also turned the ball over 15 times, including 12 interceptions, in his seven starts.

Johnson has one turnover in his two starts, a fumble against Detroit two weeks ago.

That could make a difference Monday night, especially if the weather starts freezing the offenses.

"The main word that comes to mind when I think about Brad is `smart,' " said Vikings safety Darren Sharper, a nine-year veteran and former Packer who picked off three passes against the Giants. "He makes all the proper decisions. I played against Brad many times when he was with Tampa, and every time we went against him in the playoffs, I said, `Man, I'm not looking forward to this. I know I'm not going to get that many opportunities to get interceptions because he doesn't make too many mistakes.' '

Even when Johnson quarterbacked the Buccaneers' Super Bowl champion three seasons ago, he was an understated, often overshadowed part of a team that built its success on the backs of the No. 1 defense in the NFL.

On the other hand, he had just six passes intercepted all season for a Bucs team that finished with a plus-17 turnover margin.

"It plays a huge factor in every game,' said Johnson of limiting mistakes, a conscious part of his conservative approach. "I think it has to be. Whatever uniform I've been in I tried to take pride as far as making the right read, making the throw and staying away from bad plays.'

Just like playing golf, he said.

"You hit fairways and greens, you get your par,' he said. "Your problem's when you hit it in the woods, and you try to make a great shot out of the woods. ... Take the par and put it in your pocket.'

Lotza
11-18-2005, 02:17 PM
so much to read....

well i think brad will lead us to a victory.

SamDawg84
11-18-2005, 02:58 PM
dont u guys mean our old new qb lol?

Paulbedy59
11-18-2005, 03:46 PM
I hope the running game clicks and brad can mix in some play-action.

Freya
11-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Good read.
I think Big J is just what we need right now. He's not explosive but he's steady and savvy.

mnvikes61
11-18-2005, 04:46 PM
"Paulbedy59" wrote:

that sounds like the plan, since we activated Fontoi and sat Liwenski. i can't wait to the running attack, if it clicks at all the game is going to be ours i'd say :grin:

I can't freaking wait for Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SKOL VIKINGS

cajunvike
11-18-2005, 05:07 PM
When we beat the Pack, it will be par for the course! LOL

COJOMAY
11-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Two articles on Brad not having arm strength and being able to throw the long ball. My spys tell me that's exactly what he'll do at least a couple of times in this game if the upfront blocking on the "O" line holds up.

Prophet
11-18-2005, 05:31 PM
I am glad we have BJ for the backup. He is a step above Trent Dilfer in the 'just don't screw up' and 'older QBs sporting rings' categories. He is a more effective passer than Dilfer and has the experience. He didn't toss many INTS (6) the year he led TB to the Big Dance, but the following year he tossed for 26 TDs and 21 INTs but still had a QB rating of 81.5. Now he's a journeyman, and a good one at that.

It really appears that the running game will be the focus on Monday night and if BJ can lead the team down the field like he did in the last series against the Jints we will all be happy. The Vikes will need to keep the ball out of Favre's' hands.

I'm sure Madden has promised Favre a late night rendezvous if he has a good night. None of us want to hear about that.

Destroy the Pack.

singersp
11-18-2005, 05:35 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Two articles on Brad not having arm strength and being able to throw the long ball. My spys tell me that's exactly what he'll do at least a couple of times in this game if the upfront blocking on the "O" line holds up.

Remember the Vikings/Packers game at the dome in 1993?

Vikings were down late in the 4th quarter 13-12. Leroy Butler (I believe it was) didn't cover his man deep, because he claimed "McMahon couldn't throw that far."

McMahon unloaded a 45 yard pass to a wide open Eric Guliford, who stepped out of bounce to stop the clock.

The Vikings then kicked a field goal & won the game 15-13? :grin:

It was Gulifords one & only catch of the entire season!

I don't know if the Packers will ever make that same mistake again.

I expect Brad will try & find Troy long once or twice during the game though, when they least expect it! :grin:

DCPologirl
11-18-2005, 05:37 PM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

dont u guys mean our old new qb lol?

Sam that's so funny...the title of the article confused me because of that LOL

DCPologirl
11-18-2005, 05:38 PM
"mnvikes61" wrote:

"Paulbedy59" wrote:

that sounds like the plan, since we activated Fontoi and sat Liwenski. i can't wait to the running attack, if it clicks at all the game is going to be ours i'd say :grin:

Whoa! Fonoti is playing? Someone bring me up to speed!

Prophet
11-18-2005, 05:42 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

Whoa! Fonoti is playing? Someone bring me up to speed!

http://purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15818

http://purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15818

snowinapril
11-18-2005, 06:49 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

They have been trying to keep the Ds honest thelast two weeks, by taking a couple shots down field in each game. I think K.Robinson had that 40 yd reception which would have been (60 plus) a TD if BJ lead him further. My point is he has thrown long. He tried to hit T-Wil on 2 plays that were incompletions. One should have been caught by T-Wil for a TD.

BJ has had the time. I think the OL change is going to benefit the run more, then the pass.

gregair13
11-18-2005, 08:00 PM
the new old quarterback is getting it done and thats all that matters. i think any quarterback against the packers is a good qb because their defense is like swiss cheese, so many holes, so little time.

ejmat
11-18-2005, 08:08 PM
The good thing is Brad can go deep. Doesn't have the arm stregnth of Pep but what he does well is allows runners to get under the ball. He has good timing with Willimason. He had great timing with Hoag during the preseason but that means nothing now. He gets rid of it quickly and has a good touch. If you notice he didn't have only 7 yards passing in the first half cause he couldn't throw. It was more of the WRs not catching the ball and taking a few sacks.

StillPurple
11-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Everyone wants to talk about Favre and his ring.

I want to talk about Brad and his ring !!! :grin:

ejmat
11-19-2005, 12:40 AM
I like the concept of Brad and his ring better too. I do have to admit that Favre had more to do with the Pack winning the ring than Brad winning his. Not taking anything away from Brad because he played very well that year and his style of play was perfect for the Bucs. The Becs' defense was awesome that year.

sharper42
11-19-2005, 07:10 AM
the defense need sto play well for the offense to succeed

singersp
11-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Vikings confident of new quarterback

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: November 18, 2005 at 9:35 PM

If the Vikings find themselves in yet another close game Monday night against Green Bay, they'll take their chances with quarterback Brad Johnson.

Johnson impressed teammates with his decisive play-calling during the game-winning drive in Sunday's 24-21 victory over the Giants. That confidence should come in handy against the Packers, whose past six games against the Vikings have been decided by five points or fewer -- the second-longest regular-season streak in NFL history.

"Brad stayed calm," receiver Nate Burleson said. "He got in the huddle and ad-libbed a little bit. He went to each receiver and told us what route he wanted us to run. All the credit goes to Brad. He was able to control it, to orchestrate what we did. We made the plays because he put us in position to."

Injury report

Burleson (hip, shoulder, knee) returned to practice Friday after sitting out Thursday. Tice said the day off did "wonders," and the coach seemed more optimistic that Burleson will play in some capacity against the Packers.

Burleson said he feels "fine" with the exception of a sore neck.

"I'm assuming I'm playing," he said. "I'm suiting up. Until I hear otherwise, I'm ready to play Monday night."

Center Melvin Fowler (oblique muscle) practiced Friday, but Cory Withrow was working with the first team and Anthony Herrera with the second team during the portion of practice open to the media. Fowler -- who is "a little more sore than we hoped," according to Tice -- remains probable.

In Green Bay, receiver Robert Ferguson was carted off the practice field after injuring his knee in practice. Ferguson was scheduled to play for the first time since tearing the lateral collateral ligament in his knee Oct. 23 against the Vikings, but as of Friday evening his status was unclear.

Antonio Chatman would start in Ferguson's place.

Stepping in

Tice said new left guard Toniu Fonoti weighs about 386 pounds, down from the 404 pounds Fonoti carried Oct. 18 when the Vikings acquired him. The team wants Fonoti to lower his weight to a range of 372-374 pounds, and Tice said losing the remaining 12-14 pounds will be "like taking a deck chair off the Queen Mary."

"It's not that big of a deal," Tice said. "Losing 12 pounds is like the captain telling you to take a suitcase off a 747. It is not that big of a factor."

Etc.

• The NFL fined New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora $7,500 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Johnson last week.

• Owner Zygi Wilf and his investor group are still discussing options for renovating Winter Park, a project that would begin as early as January if a decision comes soon. Wilf, who essentially has completed his project of writing an organizational code of conduct, will tour Lambeau Field on Monday evening with several of his partners.

Freya
11-19-2005, 05:04 PM
"Brad stayed calm," receiver Nate Burleson said. "He got in the huddle and ad-libbed a little bit. He went to each receiver and told us what route he wanted us to run. All the credit goes to Brad. He was able to control it, to orchestrate what we did. We made the plays because he put us in position to."

Yeah! :grin:

singersp
11-19-2005, 05:12 PM
"Freya" wrote:

Yeah! :grin:

That's what I'm talking about! The team is starting to "believe" in Brad. If they run their routes like they should, our quick strike offense will keep improving.

I'd rather see them catching a lot more balls on the run, than standing their waiting for it.

collegeguyjeff
11-21-2005, 10:37 AM
"mnvikes61" wrote:

"Paulbedy59" wrote:

heck yeah fontuii is a bull dozer he just might be able to open some big holes and i hope he does, if he can just think what could happen for our running game which i think we'll have to rely so much on because of the poor field conditions.