PDA

View Full Version : Vikings sign Quarterback ....

mnjamie
11-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Vikings sign backup quarterback
Last update: November 8, 2005 at 2:56 PM

The Vikings today signed quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan to be their No. 3 quarterback. O'Sullivan had been on the Chicago Bears' practice squad.

To make room for O'Sullivan, the Vikings released cornerback Ken Irvin.

O'Sullivan, a sixth-round draft choice by New Orleans in 2002, spent two seasons with the Saints and was the Green Bay Packers' No. 3 quarterback last season. He came to Green Bay as part of the trade that sent cornerback Mike McKenzie to New Orleans.

O'Sullivan, 26, had a 91.9 passer rating while playing for the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe in 2004.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5715260.html

Jviking
11-08-2005, 11:13 PM
I hope we never need to see him play for us.

PurplePeopleEaters
11-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Why'd we release Irvin???

mnjamie
11-08-2005, 11:16 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Why'd we release Irvin???

He whines, sucks and is always injured. He would be released from his future job also when saying, "Would you like fries with that?" if continues along the same path. :lol:

Lotza
11-08-2005, 11:21 PM
ok. j.t. i hope your stats remain at zero

ultravikingfan
11-08-2005, 11:30 PM
"Lotzapurple119" wrote:

ok. j.t. i hope your stats remain at zero

Thats the best way to put it.

Hopefully we will not have to exercise this option.

cajunvike
11-08-2005, 11:41 PM
A former Packer???

What...Rohan Davey too expensive???

Man, that sucks!!!

V4L
11-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Well atleast we got a number three.. Let's hope he NEVER has to play!

cajunvike
11-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Yeah....but a former Packer??? Man, we are now taking Fudgie rejects!!!

midgensa
11-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Actually, I hope J.T. is the next Tom Brady and leads us to the Super Bowl ... but assuming he is just J.T., lets hope he doesn't see the field.

josdin00
11-09-2005, 12:35 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Yeah....but a former Packer??? Man, we are now taking Fudgie rejects!!!

A former Packer, and a former Bear. Sounds like this guy's making the rounds of the NFC North. The sad thing is, if he ever gets to Detroit, he'll probably play better than Harrington.

NordicNed
11-09-2005, 12:39 AM
I can't say much, I don't really know the guy....Heard the name before, but thats about it..

Like said earlier, hope we really don't get to the point of ever needing him..

mnjamie
11-09-2005, 12:57 AM
You have to check out the mug on this kid:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/302099

http://www.nfleurope.com/worldbowl/news/story/7408847

OH, WAIT A MINUTE .... seems he has a little bit of a criminal past also:

UC DAVIS
O’SULLIVAN, J.T.
SPRAKER, KRIS
7/00
UC Davis football quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan and linebacker Kris Spraker -- who were arrested in Davis on July 29 on alcohol related charges -- rejoined the Aggies in practice Tuesday, concluding their week-and-a-half suspension from the team. O'Sullivan, a UCD junior has been placed on deferred dismissal and Spraker, a senior has been placed on deferred suspension by SJA. O'Sullivan and Spraker were charged with attempted robbery, conspiracy and false imprisonment by the Yolo County District Attorney. According to the Davis Police Department, the defendants and two other individuals, including O'Sullivan's brother Patrick, reportedly approached a couple in downtown Davis and demanded a $5 donation to the football team. O'Sullivan was also charged with assault and Spraker was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. No physical contact was made with the victims in the incident. All charges are misdemeanors and an investigation into the case by the district attorney's office is pending.

http://www.cracksmoker.com/NCAAF/NCAAF%20UC%20Davis.htm

cajunvike
11-09-2005, 01:02 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

Actually, I hope J.T. is the next Tom Brady and leads us to the Super Bowl ... but assuming he is just J.T., lets hope he doesn't see the field.

NO thanks...I will keep my money on Brad! :lol:

ultravikingfan
11-09-2005, 01:03 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

You have to check out the mug on this kid:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/302099

http://www.nfleurope.com/worldbowl/news/story/7408847

OH, WAIT A MINUTE .... seems he has a little bit of a criminal past also:

He'll fit right in! :razz:

mewario
11-09-2005, 01:09 AM
here's an article about him last year.. I remember magazines saying to keep an eye on him. He was the 2nd best QB in NFL Europe behind.. Rohan Davey.

J.T. O'Sullivan (http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/100404osullivan.html)

When the Saints selected J.T. O'Sullivan in the sixth round of the 2002 draft, it came with little fanfare. Just a camp arm. But O'Sullivan beat out former Panthers starter Jeff Lewis in training camp and has been holding clipboards every fall for the Saints since. Of course, there was that stint in NFL Europe 2004 where he proclaimed all the way to the World Bowl that he was a legitimate player.

Still not much recognition for former California-Davis standout. Most news releases indicated that the Saints traded "a second round pick and a backup quarterback." But O'Sullivan doesn't mind. He's getting a new opportunity (and a new jersey number, 7) to play in the NFL, a one-of-a-kind opportunity when you consider he will be learning behind one of the greatest quarterbacks ever in Brett Favre. While O'Sullivan may be buried four-deep on the depth chart for now, behind Favre, Doug Pederson, and Craig Nall, he won't be for long.

Brett Favre hasn't done much to quell the annual rumors of his retirement, and his recent concussion in Week 4 might limit him in Week 5. Primary backup Doug Pederson, who won the #2 top by default after Tim Couch busted his way off the training camp roster and Craig Nall failed to step up, is out up to six weeks with a rib injury. O'Sullivan had better be studying his new playbook. Saints GM Mickey Loomis doesn't think that Favre's injury had much to do with the suddenness of the trade, but its hard to deny that the Packers are suddenly in desperate need of healthy passers.

The Saints-Packers preseason game didn't show O'Sullivan's best side. He completed 7/20 passes for 132 yards, two interceptions and was sacked twice. He did complete a 70-yard touchdown bomb to rookie Devery Henderson, but without that big play O'Sullivan was merely 6/19 for 62 yards.

But O'Sullivan was overall the Saints' preseason MVP, easily, and became a fan favorite with his playmaking ability, especially when he was scrambling with his surprisingly quick feet. While no one is anointing O'Sullivan the starter yet, the fact comes to mind that Rams starter Marc Bulger and Panthers starter Jake Delhomme are products of the same school, run by Mike McCarthy and Mike Sheppard.

"I think J.T.'s going to be a good quarterback in the league," Jim Haslett said Monday afternoon. Haslett lamented losing O'Sullivan, a fiery team player and a confident leader during his preseason playing time. But the coach raised a valid point- as a restricted free agent in offseason 2005, O'Sullivan would likely have been signed up by a team like the Packers looking for a young promising potential starter. With Aaron Brooks and Todd Bouman locked into long term contracts, the Saints would not have been in the place to match an offer to O'Sullivan, and would have received only sixth round pick for him in exchange.

Barring injury, O'Sullivan would have continued his clipboard-holding ways for New Orleans before leaving in the offseason. For the current administration, using O'Sullivan to bring in a potential standout at a critical position is a no-brainer.

Despite the promise of the trade and the common sense it makes for the Saints to acquire McKenzie, hovering over the whole affair is the specter that the team is letting go yet another productive young quarterback.

mewario
11-09-2005, 01:11 AM
eh

GreenBaySlackers
11-09-2005, 01:16 AM
"mewario" wrote:

Of course, I'd rather have Jake Delhomme..
I'd rather have Daunte Culpepper...

but that wont happen...

so JT is good in my book, I remember someones sig used to say "shaun Hill, prostats= 0 and lets pray to god they stay that way" I thnk that applies here pretty well.

cajunvike
11-09-2005, 01:24 AM
"mewario" wrote:

here's an article about him last year.. I remember magazines saying to keep an eye on him. He was the 2nd best QB in NFL Europe behind.. Rohan Davey.

J.T. O'Sullivan (http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/100404osullivan.html)

When the Saints selected J.T. O'Sullivan in the sixth round of the 2002 draft, it came with little fanfare. Just a camp arm. But O'Sullivan beat out former Panthers starter Jeff Lewis in training camp and has been holding clipboards every fall for the Saints since. Of course, there was that stint in NFL Europe 2004 where he proclaimed all the way to the World Bowl that he was a legitimate player.

Still not much recognition for former California-Davis standout. Most news releases indicated that the Saints traded "a second round pick and a backup quarterback." But O'Sullivan doesn't mind. He's getting a new opportunity (and a new jersey number, 7) to play in the NFL, a one-of-a-kind opportunity when you consider he will be learning behind one of the greatest quarterbacks ever in Brett Favre. While O'Sullivan may be buried four-deep on the depth chart for now, behind Favre, Doug Pederson, and Craig Nall, he won't be for long.

Brett Favre hasn't done much to quell the annual rumors of his retirement, and his recent concussion in Week 4 might limit him in Week 5. Primary backup Doug Pederson, who won the #2 top by default after Tim Couch busted his way off the training camp roster and Craig Nall failed to step up, is out up to six weeks with a rib injury. O'Sullivan had better be studying his new playbook. Saints GM Mickey Loomis doesn't think that Favre's injury had much to do with the suddenness of the trade, but its hard to deny that the Packers are suddenly in desperate need of healthy passers.

The Saints-Packers preseason game didn't show O'Sullivan's best side. He completed 7/20 passes for 132 yards, two interceptions and was sacked twice. He did complete a 70-yard touchdown bomb to rookie Devery Henderson, but without that big play O'Sullivan was merely 6/19 for 62 yards.

But O'Sullivan was overall the Saints' preseason MVP, easily, and became a fan favorite with his playmaking ability, especially when he was scrambling with his surprisingly quick feet. While no one is anointing O'Sullivan the starter yet, the fact comes to mind that Rams starter Marc Bulger and Panthers starter Jake Delhomme are products of the same school, run by Mike McCarthy and Mike Sheppard.

"I think J.T.'s going to be a good quarterback in the league," Jim Haslett said Monday afternoon. Haslett lamented losing O'Sullivan, a fiery team player and a confident leader during his preseason playing time. But the coach raised a valid point- as a restricted free agent in offseason 2005, O'Sullivan would likely have been signed up by a team like the Packers looking for a young promising potential starter. With Aaron Brooks and Todd Bouman locked into long term contracts, the Saints would not have been in the place to match an offer to O'Sullivan, and would have received only sixth round pick for him in exchange.

Barring injury, O'Sullivan would have continued his clipboard-holding ways for New Orleans before leaving in the offseason. For the current administration, using O'Sullivan to bring in a potential standout at a critical position is a no-brainer.

Despite the promise of the trade and the common sense it makes for the Saints to acquire McKenzie, hovering over the whole affair is the specter that the team is letting go yet another productive young quarterback.

He was the 2nd best QB in NFL Europe behind.. Rohan Davey.

Who I wanted all along!!! Why should we settle for SECOND BEST!!! :evil:

gregair13
11-09-2005, 01:59 AM
lets just hope he never sees the field

kramer9guy
11-09-2005, 06:16 AM
I've heard alot of good things about O'Sullivan. I think we could have done alot worse for a 3rd stringer. Supposedly the Saints were grooming O'Sullivan in the fashion they did Jake Delhomme before they traded him to the Pack. The Packers struggled deciding which 3rd stringer (Nall or O'Sullivan) to cut this preseason (probably would have stayed on the roster if not for the high draft pick they gave up for Rodgers). His abilities behind center are the reason the Bears picked him up and signed him to their practice squad after he was released by Green Bay.

Regarding Rohan Davey, he would have probably had more worth a season ago but his value in the NFL has seemed to drop over the last year for some reason. He was a casualty with the Pats due to local hero Doug Flutie being there (no doubtedly would have stayed if Flutie wasn't in camp). And I honestly don't know why he isn't on another team.

I think we made a good pickup signing O'Sullivan. After all, it looked like we weren't going to sign anyone. The coaching staff must have seen something in this guy (kinda like they did in Kluwe while on Seattle's practice squad). Who knows...he could be another steal and work his way up the depth chart to the 2nd string soon. We'll see...

ejmat
11-09-2005, 06:46 AM
I did watch him play while I was in Germany. He's didn't play badly but that was in the Europe League. He showed skills in preseason a couple of years ago. Don't know too much more about him except he won the NFL Europe Championship.

sunny
11-09-2005, 04:51 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

OH, WAIT A MINUTE .... seems he has a little bit of a criminal past also

Who would have thought that a good Irish boy would get into trouble while drinking :lol:

Eyedea
11-09-2005, 05:36 PM
tough luck for irvin. he missed thursday's practice before the lions game to attend a funeral and now he gets cut...

DCPologirl
11-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Gee Irish and alcohol related charges....shocker. he can hang out with Koren Robinson.

cajunvike
11-09-2005, 06:18 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

Gee Irish and alcohol related charges....shocker. he can hang out with Koren Robinson.

See, Polo...you should have cut them off after the 10th tequila shot...but no, you had to keep serving them!!! :lol: