PDA

View Full Version : O-Line had fewest mistakes of season?

Top_Speed
11-08-2005, 06:29 PM
I got to give cudos to the O-line. Yes I have bashed them throughout the season (and pre-season) but they really came through against Detroit. I can't even remember a false start??? Well probably somebody here can but I can't.

Pulling our center (Fowler) on the sweeps with great success was well documented even by the TV annoucers. I know I have got on Rosenthal alot, but even he had a pretty good game. NOW... what about your ex-team this week Rosie??? Can you control the line of scrimage and not get bulldozed over? You know who you'll be seeing xcross the line so your matchup is way above average.

VikingFanEric
11-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Vikings only had 1 penalty as a team and it was on Fred Smoot...O-Line did a great job.

Jviking
11-08-2005, 07:33 PM
this was truly impressive, like you mentioned we need to see this more frequently...

GreenBaySlackers
11-08-2005, 07:35 PM
why do you all think they played so well? is it because they realized that brad can't scramble quite like daunte, so they paid more attention? If so do you think this will stay this good? or will it go to crap again soon, or when Daunte Comes back?

Top_Speed
11-08-2005, 08:26 PM
It might of been opposition but let's hope they are getting on track. Daunte coming back is so far down the road we probably will field at least 2 new O-lineman by then.

StillPurple
11-08-2005, 09:13 PM
I noticed it too, but I also think it is the result of Brad getting the ball out really quick. Less time = less time for mistakes. I think one of the reasons we get so many holding penalties is that C-pepper makes such slow reads and then takes those deep drops. It worked with Moss separating, but I think a big problem for C-pepper is that the new receivers don't separate and he is left running around with his **** flapping in the wind, so to speak.

On the other hand, Brad gets the ball out FAST and there is just less time for the O-line to screw up.

AngloVike
11-08-2005, 09:26 PM
"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

why do you all think they played so well? is it because they realized that brad can't scramble quite like daunte, so they paid more attention? If so do you think this will stay this good? or will it go to crap again soon, or when Daunte Comes back?
Think it might also be wih Fowler being more familiar with the playbook and calling the right line blocks as well. Tice singled him out for praise and I think it was well deserved.

tastywaves
11-08-2005, 09:51 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

I noticed it too, but I also think it is the result of Brad getting the ball out really quick. Less time = less time for mistakes. I think one of the reasons we get so many holding penalties is that C-pepper makes such slow reads and then takes those deep drops. It worked with Moss separating, but I think a big problem for C-pepper is that the new receivers don't separate and he is left running around with his **** flapping in the wind, so to speak.

On the other hand, Brad gets the ball out FAST and there is just less time for the O-line to screw up.

I think you nailed it. Most of the passing plays were extremely quick, not giving the line a chance to hold. Although they stayed put before the ball was snapped as well, so kudos there and big time on the run blocking.

This is what the Vikings are now offensively, hopefully they will continue to move the chains against the giants and keep that high potent offense off the field. They must be effective early in the game or I'm afraid we have a long day ahead of us.

cajunvike
11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Dead on, guys! Brad getting rid of the ball more quickly puts much less stress on the OL, since they don't have to hold their blocks for so long...that way they are fresher in the later quarters...and make less mistakes!

Top_Speed
11-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Yup getting the quick releases helped the O-line but before the snap we didn't break down as before. We were always good for 4 false starts a game (and more).

I'd say a smooth combination of...
-Percise receiver routes, quick snappy QB releases
-Good blocking calls at the line of scrimage
-No mental breakdowns especailly during cadence

collegeguyjeff
11-09-2005, 03:00 AM
"VikingFanEric" wrote:

Vikings only had 1 penalty as a team and it was on Fred Smoot...O-Line did a great job.

the whole team had only 3 penalties, i think thats a record ha ha. oh and detroit didn't look impressive so thats why we didn't have many penalties expect more against strahan if that gap toothed fool plays well

enlvikeman
11-09-2005, 03:36 AM
Will take a mistake free game this weekend for us to win.

Bdubya
11-09-2005, 03:43 AM
Only 3 penatlies? That's not in a row is it, because that is much more believable. But they did do a great job this weekend, and none of their big plays were called back, which is normally par for the course.

ultravikingfan
11-09-2005, 04:04 AM
"Bdubya" wrote:

Only 3 penatlies? That's not in a row is it, because that is much more believable. But they did do a great job this weekend, and none of their big plays were called back, which is normally par for the course.

I hope not 3 seperate penalties on 3 goaline stands where we settle for a FG! :???: