PDA

View Full Version : @ Giants is biggest game of the year for us

ADubya26
11-07-2005, 04:29 PM
We can't beat the Giants right? We can't win on the road, right? We can't even win on grass.

All of these things would be squashed against a very good team in NY. Two wins in a row, Brad at the helm, and we have a fighting chance I think.

I'm not trying to say the team doesn't like Culpepper, but anyone get the sense the team is playing harder than before? Just think about that.

Prophet
11-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. I really liked the balanced attack on Sunday, working in nine receivers and MM and MB both getting reps.

Tiki Barber makes me nervous and Burress is having a career year. Hopefully it will be a good game. I just keep having flashbacks to the 0-41 stomping.

CynicalVike
11-07-2005, 04:42 PM
We're going to have to keep a TE lined up next to Rosenthal all day to help control Strahan. One on one, Strahan will eat Rosenthal alive.

PAvikesfan
11-07-2005, 04:47 PM
yes, this could be our defining game...

1. burress scored at least a TD every homegame. can we stop him?
2. even worse, the vikes give up more TE TD's and big plays than just about anyone in the NFL. can we stop shockey with cowart and E.J.?

this is a different giants team.

#2 scares me because every 3rd down, our LB's and Nickle back will be tested.

if the vikes can force Turnovers and turn their game plan into just throwing by stopping Tiki, we have a good chance if our offense has the same success as yesterday. the giants are an offensive team now. their defense has been suspect. we score and cause turn overs, we win.

6-KINGS
11-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Every game will be a defining game from now on.
Lets see what the line is............
Giants by 10 huh

Looks like it is time for another call on Friday.
In New York, I have lots of "friends" there.

ADubya26
11-07-2005, 04:50 PM
"PAvikesfan" wrote:

yes, this could be our defining game...

1. burress scored at least a TD every homegame. can we stop him?
2. even worse, the vikes give up more TE TD's and big plays than just about anyone in the NFL. can we stop shockey with cowart and E.J.?

this is a different giants team.

#2 scares me because every 3rd down, our LB's and Nickle back will be tested.

if the vikes can force Turnovers and turn their game plan into just throwing by stopping Tiki, we have a good chance if our offense has the same success as yesterday. the giants are an offensive team now. their defense has been suspect. we score and cause turn overs, we win.

Great analysis, I agree. We definitely need to win the turnover battle and get some guys in Eli's face.

gregair13
11-07-2005, 04:54 PM
this is the make or break game for this team. we win and we look amazing going into the next few weeks against some really bad teams. we lose, and people will be writing us off.

DCPologirl
11-07-2005, 04:54 PM
"ADubya26" wrote:

We can't beat the Giants right? We can't win on the road, right? We can't even win on grass.

All of these things would be squashed against a very good team in NY. Two wins in a row, Brad at the helm, and we have a fighting chance I think.

I'm not trying to say the team doesn't like Culpepper, but anyone get the sense the team is playing harder than before? Just think about that.

hello! They are probably trying to win FOR him. Team loves Daunte. We all need to be praying for him.

ADubya26
11-07-2005, 04:58 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ADubya26" wrote:

hello! They are probably trying to win FOR him. Team loves Daunte. We all need to be praying for him.

thats definitely a possibility, but i think the WRs especially like being thrown the ball while the break out of their routes as opposed to only when they are wide open. The line also enjoys it when they only have to pass protect for a few seconds as opposed to like 10 when Daunte stands in there for so long. the defense can play better/harder when they are on the field less, as opposed to 70% of the game. I wish Daunte the best and I think he is a great guy, but I think Brad might give us a better chance to win now.

Del Rio
11-07-2005, 04:59 PM
I see this game as everything to gain, nothing to lose.

In the big scheme of things it doesn't mean much if we lose this game.

On the other hand if we win it, the players moral will have to be raised and that is always a good thing.

I'm not buying into the recent trend of us doing good against a weak opponent and then getting overly opptimistic. Ted Cottrell is the key to this game, does his man berries shrink up or does he let his players play aggressive.

gregair13
11-07-2005, 05:01 PM
this is going to be a very good game next week. as long as we play like we know we can play, it might turn out to be a very high scoring affair.

6-KINGS
11-07-2005, 05:03 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I find this very interesting.

Why do you feel this to be the case Del?

gregair13
11-07-2005, 05:12 PM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

i can agree to that del rio. i mean think about it. if we storm into new york and beat these giants, a team that some feel is good enough for a superbowl run, we then become a contender. if we lose, we stay were we already are: a under 500 team with their starting qb out for the season. we win, we are one step closer to the division title. we lose and we are one step closer to reggie bush.

Del Rio
11-07-2005, 05:26 PM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Just because I have been in these same situations. Honestly in the real world outside of Vikingland we are a serious underdog. We suck on the road, we have one of the worst D's in the NFL, and our starting QB is gone. We can't beat the Giants, and history is against us, not to mention they are on fire right now, considered by some the best team in the NFC.

So the players will come in fired up no doubt. I am sure they will play with all they have, if they win the world is theirs for a day. They gel, they rejoice in the victory and the critics raise an eyebrow in interest. They go home happier yada yada.

If they lose it will be all too easy to chaulk it up to a number of things and move on. I guarantee if we lose this game it will not be too hard to get over for the players. There are too many intangibles out there for them to point a finger at. If they come close but still lose, they will still take something possitive out of it. They will easily be able to say we did better then they said we would..........

I just don't see it as the most important game.

6-KINGS
11-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Makes sense.
I think they may be primed for an upset at home.
It is important for me to get past my hate of the Giants and see them as a good team. Not sure why I hate them so much but I always have.
They just seem so beatable to me. Like they just have a small roll going and all has just bounced their way. Not really because of what they have, but just the breaks have gone their way.
Thanks Del I always want to hear your thoughts.
Very grounded, and the fact you talk about cannibalism makes me respect you.
And you fight for those poor pygmies too.

RK.
11-07-2005, 06:25 PM
This week its the "ON ANY GIVEN SUNDAY" rule. We have to have a great game and the Giants have to have a not so great game.

cajunvike
11-07-2005, 06:34 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"ADubya26" wrote:

GREAT attitude!!! Go in and give them a taste of their own medicine!!!

Vikes
11-07-2005, 07:09 PM
The 'D' is what is going to carry us to the next level. If the 'D' shows up like they did last week life is good. The 'O' is not strong enough to carry us just yet.

We will WIN the game. The season is going to be a great finish for us. We need the Bears to start losing some steam.

V-Unit
11-07-2005, 09:13 PM
"Vikes" wrote:

The 'D' is what is going to carry us to the next level. If the 'D' shows up like they did last week life is good. The 'O' is not strong enough to carry us just yet.

We will WIN the game. The season is going to be a great finish for us. We need the Bears to start losing some steam.

The bears have a tough schedule, so tough that we don't neccessarily need to win this game. If you look at the three game after the giants they are all winnable and being 6-6 considering we started 3-5 is nice. It is hard to see us finishing better than 8-8 though without some upsets.

Of, course that is not the attitude our players should have. This is definetly a big test and if we beat the Giants it could raise enough morale to take us to the playoffs. This is the first of 3 potential upsets in the secind half of the season.

I don't know where our running game came rom but it definetly needs to stay for this game if we are to win. If you look at the Giants' two losses both the Chargers and Cowboys had great performances by their offensive unit. We have got to come out firing on all cylinders and hope we catch them sleeping.

BBQ Platypus
11-07-2005, 09:45 PM
We're going to need to win this game the old-fashioned way if we're going to have a shot: through defense and ball control. Brad is an average QB in every category except for one: he is great at keeping the ball out of the opponent's hands. The only thing we really need to worry about is running the ball effectively (4-5 YPC, maybe 3).

Our D needs to play more like it did on Sunday and less like a defense coached by Ted Cottrell. Eli Manning will be harder to stop than Joey Harrington, but he's still a young QB, so we'll want to blitz him. We need to avoid a repeat of the Steve Smith fiasco by doubling Plaxico Burress. Other than that (and other basic defensive formalities), we need to concentrate more on attacking the Giants offense rather than containing it. Those who make it their goal to try to contain the enemy offense will almost always get burned, whereas those who can successfully disrupt the enemy offense will stop them before they even could begin to execute their plan. We need to destroy any lanes for Tiki Barber to run through and give Manning no time to pass. Our DB's will take care of the rest.

StillPurple
11-07-2005, 11:47 PM
It occurred to me that in the NFC, there is no such thing as "the dominant team". I mean, Seattle looks ok, and the Giants are solid, but they are very far from being a dominant team, a la the Colts, Pats, or Steelers.

Thus, I am very optimistic about our chances. I mean, look at it this way:

- We played Tampa Bay very hard and just barely lost
- We lost three games "badly" (Atlanta, Chicago and Cincy)
- We beat the Packers in comeback fashion
- We owned the Lions from the start
- We owned the Saints from the start

I am willing to look at the 3 bad games as games in which our team had not gelled yet. People forget that you can't just take 11 guys on offense and 11 on defense, throw them together, and get "Instant Win". But the reality is, teams do have to develop together.

I see us doing that. I see us learning onfield communication on defense. I see Brad not losing games, and honestly, having some really decent throws. I see running backs who are coming into the game "fresh" and having big runs. I see solid tight ends. I see an O-line that is blocking better. I see a defense that is starting to dominate. I see Antwoin Winfield, a dominant player, making big plays all over the place.

We have the talent. We just need to put it together. We took the first step on Sunday. :grin:

midgensa
11-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Until we get hot somewhere, every road game is our biggest game of the season. Hopefully we can steal one this week and hope for a huge 49ers upset of the Bears,move within one game and catch up the following week after Carolina beats the Bears and we top the Pack on Monday night. Either way, we win the next two and get to 5-5 and if the Bears split and are 6-4 we will be in strong position to make a move with games against the Bears, Rams and Browns remaining at home and the lowly Lions on the road.
It all starts with a road win this weekend!!!

Eyedea
11-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Comming into the year we thought this would be a diciding game. And it still is going to be.

Say we can beat the giants, a team we have struggle against in the past, on the road, and beat a team taht is leading their division and many think is one of the top three teams in the confrence.

If we did win that would be 2 striaght and 3 of 4. And with winnable games comming up with 1-7 green bay, home to play 3-5 cleveland, then play the same lions we just beat. If we win say 3 of teh next four we would be 6-6, but with 3 of the remaining 4 games at home, including the bears for the season final. and the only road game we have is at the ravens. I know i am looking way to far ahead, but this game could be a spring board to the relativly easy second of the year.

this game could be like the game tonight. The colts need to get over the hump and beat brady and the pats. hopefully they can start the trend.

whiteboy
11-08-2005, 12:56 AM
"StillPurple" wrote:

It occurred to me that in the NFC, there is no such thing as "the dominant team". I mean, Seattle looks ok, and the Giants are solid, but they are very far from being a dominant team, a la the Colts, Pats, or Steelers.

Thus, I am very optimistic about our chances. I mean, look at it this way:

- We played Tampa Bay very hard and just barely lost
- We lost three games "badly" (Atlanta, Chicago and Cincy)
- We beat the Packers in comeback fashion
- We owned the Lions from the start
- We owned the Saints from the start

I am willing to look at the 3 bad games as games in which our team had not gelled yet. People forget that you can't just take 11 guys on offense and 11 on defense, throw them together, and get "Instant Win". But the reality is, teams do have to develop together.

I see us doing that. I see us learning onfield communication on defense. I see Brad not losing games, and honestly, having some really decent throws. I see running backs who are coming into the game "fresh" and having big runs. I see solid tight ends. I see an O-line that is blocking better. I see a defense that is starting to dominate. I see Antwoin Winfield, a dominant player, making big plays all over the place.

We have the talent. We just need to put it together. We took the first step on Sunday. :grin:

great point, i couldn't have said it better myself

natethegreat
11-08-2005, 02:56 AM
i have been waiting for this game since training camp, and as i think about it, we haven't won a road game yet, and haven't even came close to winning one yet, i dont think this game is our whole season because we have a faverable schedule after NY, but i just want to see us actually in this game at the end, i dont want to see us be down by 20+ before half like we have been in the past, a win would be great for us but i just want to see this team compete on the road until the end even if we end up losing because this game isn't our whole season

Gman
11-08-2005, 03:09 PM
"CynicalVike" wrote:

We're going to have to keep a TE lined up next to Rosenthal all day to help control Strahan. One on one, Strahan will eat Rosenthal alive.

Actualy its our other RE thats is causing more damage to teams. His name is "Osi Uminyora" and he is having a breakout season this year. Who do u guys have at RE? Because he well need to be fast, and "Osi" well probably require double team.

Strahan is good, but it seems that Osi is the star of our Dline.

Del Rio
11-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Our tackles are horrible at picking up fast defensive ends.

We will probably keep Kliensasser or/and Moe Williams back in max protect if it starts getting too ugly.

Wiggins should be a prime target for Johnson this week.

mrviking28
11-08-2005, 03:23 PM
The importance of this game is not winning or losing it. The real importance is how competitive we are. If we are close the entire that will show we have taken a big step in solving our road woes. And how do we stay close? Run the ball like we did against the Lions and dont have all the mistakes we have had on the road (turnovers and stupid penalties). We do this and I think we gain some confidence even if we lose. We will then have a great shot at winning the majority of the next 7 games because the schedule is a lot less tough than the first 9 were.

Gift
11-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Come on guys, we are not the same caliber of team. I do hope we win but it is not very likely. Remember what happened against Carolina...it will be like that.

ultravikingfan
11-08-2005, 04:27 PM
"Gift" wrote:

Come on guys, we are not the same caliber of team. I do hope we win but it is not very likely. Remember what happened against Carolina...it will be like that.

Thanks Dad.

:lol:

CynicalVike
11-08-2005, 04:44 PM
On paper, which in reality doesn't mean squat, this should be a decent match up for us. The Giants aren't the big defensive team they used to be. As a matter of fact, thier defense is somewhat suspect. Thats good for our offense. The Giants are developing into a more offensive team, putting up points both running and passing, and our defense should be our strength.

IMHO, if the Vikes can play solid ball on both sides, we could just pull this off. Special teams might be the deciding factor, and I have liked our special teams play lately.

BigPapi
11-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Hey guys...Giant fan here. Good luck this week. I'm expecting a grinding tough game vs. you guys. Every game in the NFL nowadays is a grind. Don't let our final score vs. the 9'ers fool you. Those dudes just wouldn't go away! If it wasn;t for Plax's long pass from Eli (when it was 10-6 giants) the game could have gone either way...

Personally, I think the Giants are going to win this week. Winning road games in general has become EXTREMELY difficult. And just so you all know, this is most likely the best team the Giants have had in a while. Even better than their 2001 SB run. A few stats you guys might find interesting. The Giants have only given up 12 sacks ALL SEASON. Eli just moves around in the pocket too well. He's not overly fast or athletic, he just seems real cofortable in the pocket. Like if you've watched Joey Harrington in the pocket, think of Eli as the exact opposite. In fact, in my opinion, that is where his biggest imprvement this year has been. Evading pressure.

You know what to expect from Barber Shockey & toomer, and you'll soon find out what to expect from Plax. In my opinion, the only way the vikes are going to win this game is by scoring points...LOTS of them. Brad Johnson is going to have to take risks and through the ball downfield all game long. Even w/out Randi, you still have some real talent at WR and you're going to have to utilize Williamson, Burleson, and Robinson bigtime!

Muggsy
11-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Nice post BigPapi, welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I will have to agree with you on this one. My gut feeling is that my beloved Vikes will lose this one. Not really because of the history of losing to the Giants. And not because of the matchups. I just think that the Vikes are STILL not settled down enough to get it all together on offense and defense to be consistently good. In the last game, we bolted out for a 21 point second quarter, and then went into 1st gear the rest of the game. I've seen that happen too many times in the past 35 years of watching the Vikes to feel that we have turned the corner and can give any team a run for their money.

I will be the most surprised, and happiest Viking fan out there to be proved wrong this Sunday. And despite my reservations about the upcoming game, I will always cheer my Vikes onward.

SKOL, VIKINGS!

Prophet
11-08-2005, 06:59 PM
"BigPapi" wrote:

Eli just moves around in the pocket too well. He's not overly fast or athletic, he just seems real cofortable in the pocket. Like if you've watched Joey Harrington in the pocket, think of Eli as the exact opposite.

LMAO, good explanation. The Jints appear to have turned the corner this year with Manning.

StillPurple
11-08-2005, 08:18 PM
My take:

"Vikings can't win against the Giants". Yep, just like "Colts can't win at the Patriots". :roll: :grin: Evey year is different.

I am a bit scared of Eli and Tiki and those receivers. I think we just need to generate a lot of offense and not make mistakes and turnovers to win this one. We need to not give up the big play, and try to just keep it close, and then get some luck. I like the fact that with Brad, we can just "plod" down the field and eat up clock, thus keeping Tiki and Eli and Co. on the bench, looking up at the Jumbotron or whatever. I think on the road, you have to not make mistakes and be motivated.

BigPapi
11-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys.

Tough year for the Vikes in '06. You guys were rolling in the preseason...then came the wizinator, then the boatparty (which by the way they should start selling tickets to functions like that cuz I woud have paid loot to spend an evening on a boat with a bunch of NFL players and a boatload of whores lol)...losing Udeze & DC. We lost Strahan last year and we finished 6-10. Nothing worst than injuries man. Sucks the life righ out of your team.

Although I kinda wish Culperpper was playing this weekend. For some reason we always seem to have his #.

As a continuation of what I was saying before. Brad needs to just buck up, take the reigns and just AIR it out. Although I don't think our DB's form the worst secondary in the league, it's definately not the strength of our team. The Cowboys aired it out on us and it felt like we just couldn't stop them. Bledsoe had like 300 yards and seemed to complete every 3rd and long.

DemonicViking
11-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Giants are good. I don't mind watching them sometimes, well this year anyway. Jets? Forget it.

ultravikingfan
11-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Wow.

I am impressed that we are getting some cool Giants fans, thats great!

Last year we had a bunch of fans who just wanted to talk unintelligent smack!

Welcome guys!

umaguma1979
11-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Offense:

I really think the Vikings are in good hands with BJ. Our line does not pass block very well, but we sure do run block fairly decent. Especially, when we run spreads or (Packer sweeps). This will be key against the Giants to alleviate their strong pass rush. Hopefully BJ can then make a couple of big plays off play action against that weak secondary we keep hearing about.

Defense:

Gotta stuff the run and disguise blitz packages, I am not sure what to expect here...... I think a Cover 2 defense may be the best bet - but the key then will be to keep Shockey in check for those underneath routes. I think B. Williams will step up and having a safety over-the-top will help keep Buress in line. The Giants really have weapons at all the skilled positions; pick your poison as Green would say. The best bet for the Vikes might be to play the run - force Manning into some mistakes and hope for some turnovers.

Special Teams:

Edge really needs to prove he can make some kicks on the road. Kluwe is solid.....might be our best candidate for the pro bowl right now. The return game is starting to come around. Hopefully the kickoff coverage will be strong as well.

Thoughts?

DiehardVikesFan
11-11-2005, 03:33 AM
We all know the Giants are a better team than us, so defensively I think we need to attack Eli with the blitz and try get pressure to try force him to make mistakes. If we sit back and play conservative like we usually try to do, we'll get eaten alive. Offensively we obviously will need to establish the run and we need some big plays from the wide receivers...Need to get Burleson the ball, he always seems to make plays happen

umaguma1979
11-11-2005, 03:41 AM
I agree - our D needs to try to dictate the speed of the game instead of always being so passive on the road.

K_ROBBING18
11-11-2005, 03:44 AM
Honestly we do have a shot but it isnt a great shot.
So far playing on the Road we look like garbage.
And were playing our favorite team on the ROAD.
Hopefully we can get a miracle and win.
This is the real test for Brad, becuz last week against the Lions Defense, i think every QB should be able to do that, so hopefully brad can get it together again and start rolling. I think they need to find Nate more, and I love the blocking Travis Taylor did against the Lions, and we need to come out running the ball all over the Giants. That then will open the pass like last week. Giants have a weak D, so we must come out strong right away. On D, we need to stop Tiki Right away, otherwise he will rush for 100+. We need to put Pressure on the other QB I hate as much as Peyton, his brother. He is only in his 2nd year and having way to good of season as a soph. Pressue Eli and make him make mistakes.
I think this is a big Challenge and could be a redeemed himself "Napolean Harris" on Jeremy Shockey. Harris has been doing ok for the last two weeks, but this is the true test the 2nd best Tightend in the league, so harris has a lot on his plate. I dont know who should cover PLaxico but whoever is doing will need help. Double him i dont care if they got TOomer and Shocky.
GO VIKES

SKOL
11-11-2005, 03:45 AM
Thoughtful post umaguma. I agree.

Brad reads and releases quickly, recognizing mismatches. I hope he can have just enough time to take advantage of their porous secondary.

I hate to face another quality tightend.

DiehardVikesFan
11-11-2005, 03:47 AM
I think we should get Nap Harris in the backfield with some blitzes and probably get Sharper on Shockey because I really don't think any of our LB's can run with him.

umaguma1979
11-11-2005, 04:12 AM
Good old fashion running the football with Jimmy K and some pulling lineman out there in space. Tice keeps saying we "need to start fast." I think he means fast in the terms of intensity because the Vikes really needs to slow the game down. We need time of possesion and ball control to help keep that Giants offense out of rhythm.

Did you guys watch last week's 49er's Giants game? It sure was not pretty until.....in fact I think it was like 6 to nothing at the half. The 49er's hung in there with a 4th string rookie QB who blocks on special teams.

I agree on paper we are an underdog. But on any given Sunday; records, stats, history all goes out the window this day in the NFL.

If any anyone can engineer a win - its BJ.

FuadFan
11-11-2005, 04:44 AM
It will be tougher on defense without Smoot now Brian Williams will have to cover Toomer or Burress so that will cut down or eliminate his ability to blitz the QB unless Brown, Gallishaw, or Edwards can take on that role. On offense we have to get some long drives going to eat the clock and slowly wear the Giants defense down if we can get in that kind of offensive groove we can win this game.

Grassdog61
11-11-2005, 05:09 AM
Game plan against the Giants? 1. Review the game plans we had in our 4 road games this year, and 2. Do the exact opposite.

All kidding aside, I'd like to see a real commitment to run the football. Let that offensive line go out and hit someone and give the ball to Bennett 20-25 times. Win the game by controlling the line of scrimmage.

Defensively, I think it would be a big mistake to think we're going to be successful blitzing Eli. He's not easily rattled and he's able to move in the pocket and avoid pressure better than most young quarterbacks. Key on Tiki Barber and take him out of the game. If he has a big game, we are dead. On passing routes, play containment and limit yards after the catch to a minimum. And don't miss tackles.

Easier said than done.

PAvikesfan
11-11-2005, 05:35 AM
we got something to prove and william-son and burle-son are going to NY to score..i mean to go to scores! haha.

singersp
11-11-2005, 05:49 AM
After doing some research, I have become very optomistic about us winning on Sunday.

Despite their 6-2 record they've been taunting;

Mannings passing completion percentage is only 51.6%, with 5 interceptions & 12 sacks :grin:

Another interesting fact 4 of the 6 teams they beat so far this year are the
Cardinals, Saints, Rams & the 49ers.

The other two wins are the Broncos (24-23) & the Redskins (whom they smoked 36-0)

They have lost to the Chargers & the Cowboys.

Now how do you feel about our chances of winning?

umaguma1979
11-11-2005, 06:00 AM
They sure got blown out in the Chargers game. Mentally, this could be a huge boost for the Vikings and us fans.

DemonicViking
11-11-2005, 06:19 AM
"FuadFan" wrote:

It will be tougher on defense without Smoot now Brian Williams will have to cover Toomer or Burress so that will cut down or eliminate his ability to blitz the QB unless Brown, Gallishaw, or Edwards can take on that role. On offense we have to get some long drives going to eat the clock and slowly wear the Giants defense down if we can get in that kind of offensive groove we can win this game.

Agreed, the Giants have plenty of weapons. Some good time consuming drives would be nice so it keeps their offense on the sidelines.. and of course get some points out of it. I don't wanna be in store for another Cincy/Carolina åzz whoppin'.

twilliamson1914
11-11-2005, 06:28 AM
I agreee, this could make or break our season.

If we win this I think we could win the division looking at the Bears end of season schedule

singersp
11-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Vikings' Williams, Johnson out for Giants

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Posted on Fri, Nov. 11, 2005
Duluth News Tribune

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Running back Moe Williams and defensive lineman Spencer Johnson were still listed as doubtful for Sunday's game against the New York Giants, and coach Mike Tice said Thursday it was unlikely either one will play.

"Moe will be out and Spencer looks to be out too," Tice said.

Williams has been bothered by knee and back injuries while Johnson has been hampered by a knee injury that first surfaced in college.

"This is why we had a fifth-round grade on him and we got him as a free agent," Tice said, referring to signing Johnson as a rookie free agent out of Auburn before last season. "It has acted up. It has flared up."

Johnson's injury could cause the Vikings to go back to playing some 3-4 defense against the Giants. Tice wouldn't estimate how much of that alignment the team will use but did say that's an option.

Running back Mewelde Moore has a sprained right wrist and Tice said his ability to pass block would be the major factor in whether he plays or not.

Moore went through pass-blocking drills Thursday and said his wrist felt fine. He has been using a brace but hopes to play without it. He said the injury may prevent him from using perfect technique in pass blocking.

• Rookie defensive end Erasmus James appears fully recovered from a hamstring injury that limited his action in the second half of last week's victory over Detroit.

James has practiced every day this week, including several spirited workouts against left tackle Bryant McKinnie, and is not listed on the injury report.

singersp
11-11-2005, 01:19 PM
I think Johnson being out for this game is a plus, with the exception of reverting to the 3-4 for some of their plays.

I think he'll be a fine player, but he's not there yet & this game is way to huge of a game.

Stick with the defense that worked well last week.

Once again, we need to get Lance Johnstone into the game often.

Also, with Erasmus at 100%, I think we can finally get some more pressure on the QB.

The giants O-line has given up 12 sacks for 94 yards thus far. That includes going up against the 19th, 21st, 22nd, 30th & 32nd ranked defenses.

gregair13
11-12-2005, 12:36 AM
if we can win the battle on the line, on both sides of the ball, there is no reason we cannot win this game. no penalties for holding/false starts/offsides and we put our selfs in a great spot to win this stupid game.