PDA

View Full Version : Tice softens shot at staff second-guesses

singersp
10-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
Last update: October 24, 2005 at 10:14 PM

Tice softens shot at staff second-guesses

"Everybody wants to win, and everybody wants to do well," Tice said. "And then when you do, you get emotional. One thing you never want to do is get sensitive, and maybe I was a little sensitive [Sunday] because I took a shot at a couple of my own guys. I hope those guys will forgive me because I know they have my back."

After Sunday's 23-20 victory over Green Bay, Tice suggested that "vice presidents should vice president their departments and let us do our jobs on the field." Tice apparently was alluding to the late-game scene in the box of Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings vice president of football operations.

Assistant coaches in the adjoining booth could hear people in Brzezinski's box, which included owner Zygi Wilf, loudly calling for Tice to take his final timeout with about a minute remaining and the Packers lining up for a game-tying field goal. Tice chose not to use the timeout, saving it instead for the drive that got the Vikings in position for the game-winning 56-yard field goal by Paul Edinger.

Wilf did not respond to a request for comment Monday. Brzezinski has declined comment.

Trust your instincts

Safety Darren Sharper produced four pages of handwritten notes on his former team, the Packers, last week. Did they help?

"I didn't really go off my notes," he said. "I didn't trust them. There were a couple of routes I could have jumped, but I was afraid they might have tried to switch some things up on me, but they didn't. It was a little bit of cat and mouse. I didn't jump too many things, but I could have if I would have believed the things I had seen in the past."

Sharper finished the game with four tackles but did not get his hands on any of Brett Favre's 36 passes.

Empty feeling

The Vikings went with an empty backfield about 10 times in Sunday's game, the first time they have used the look this season.

"It was to give us some easy reads for the quarterback and also enabled [quarterback Daunte Culpepper], because he's healthy, to be able to run with the football and just kind of spread them out a little bit more," offensive coordinator Steve Loney said.

The Vikings' first touchdown Sunday, a 27-yard pass from Culpepper to Marcus Robinson, came out of the empty look.

Etc.

• Linebacker Dontarrious Thomas, whom the Vikings use in their nickel defense, hopes to return Sunday after missing the Green Bay game because of a bruised right shoulder. "I think it is realistic," to return, he said. "The one thing we were worried about is my strength and it's coming along really good."

• Receiver Nate Burleson, who caught three passes Sunday after missing three games because of a sprained left knee, said he received treatment Monday and felt "pretty good."

• The Vikings plan to bring in former Chicago offensive tackle Marc Colombo for a workout today. Colombo, the Bears' first-round pick in 2002, was released in September.

• The misdemeanor domestic assault trial of defensive tackle Kevin Williams is scheduled to begin this week.

singersp
10-25-2005, 01:48 PM
"singersp" wrote:

• The Vikings plan to bring in former Chicago offensive tackle Marc Colombo for a workout today. Colombo, the Bears' first-round pick in 2002, was released in September.

Does anyone know anything about this guy?

Del Rio
10-25-2005, 02:12 PM
"Drafts Marc Columbo with our first round pick. Considered a second round prospect by draft experts. The same draft experts who appear correct in their analysis that Columbo needed to add strength in order to compete at the NFL level. Columbo was not durable enough to last more than five starts in the NFL. What might have been?"

The Bears released their left tackle and were scrambling for a replacement that is the only reason the guy was drafted in the first round. He has had work outs with Dallas last week they weren't impressed.

Eyedea
10-25-2005, 02:42 PM
i'm surprised rob berzeznki did what he did. i'm a huge fan of what he has done it the past, but this surprises me...

V4L
10-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Marc Columbo eh? Maybe he can replace Rosey before the end of the season.. That would be sweet

Lando
10-25-2005, 03:32 PM
The Vikes are bringing in former Bears offensive lineman Marc Colombo for a workout today. Is this guy any good?

PurplePeopleEaters
10-25-2005, 03:36 PM
From what I have heard, he isn't that good. Seems like he was rushed into the NFL and was drafted much too high.

We are like the team for draft picks that didn't work out now.

shawn
10-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Former first round pick by the bears. Looks like he was the fourth or fifth rated O-lineman the year we drafted Bryant Mckinnie and didnt work out.

whackthepack
10-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Here is scouting service report on him.
He is big guy 6-7, and 320 pounds. But he has had a lot of knee problems, and has not panned out as of yet. Maybe he can stay healthy, and get his career back on track! He is worth taking a chance on!

If he can get past the knee injury, and put some muscle on. With some playing time maybe we get a good player with no risk!!!

Ht: 6-7.5 Wt: 320
Position: OT
Date of Birth: 10/8/1978
Experience: 4
College: Boston College

Biography:
2005 - Chicago:
1999 first round pick (29th overall) has battled a knee injury he sustained as a rookie. Returned after nearly two years of rehabilitation from a dislocated left patella (kneecap) to play in the final eight games of the 2004 season. Will compete for a backup role in 2005. Has appeared in 18 career games, including 7 starts. Has blocked 2 career field goal attempts.
2004: Started year on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform List while rehabilitating his injured left knee... Elevated to active roster in Week 10 and participated in 8 games, starting 2 at LT... GAMES PLAYED-STARTED: 8-2

2003: Spent the entire season rehabilitating his injured left knee.

2002: Participated in the first 10 games of season, ascending to starting LT spot for his final 5 contests before missing the final 6 games due to his left knee injury.

COLLEGE: Allowed no sacks in 20 games started over his final 2 years of career at Boston College (1998-2001). Helped pave way for a 1,000-yard rusher in each of his 4 seasons. Played both RT and LT as a senior, earning All-Big East Conference first-team honors by The NFL Draft Report despite missing team's final 4 games with a knee injury. Part of O-line that generated 4,361 yards and featured 1,000-yard rusher William Green; started first 2 games at RT before moving to LT for 6 games. Initially moved into starting lineup as a junior, starting all 12 games at RT for NCAA's 21st-ranked rushing team (201.0 ypg) and Big East's third-ranked offense (414.9 total ypg) on an Oline that surrendered only 6 sacks. Played in 7 games as a sophomore, including the Insight.com Bowl. Participated in 6 games as a true freshman, mostly on special teams. Majored in sociology.

PERSONAL: Earned Boston Globe, Boston Herald, Brockton Enterprise and Taunton Gazette All- Scholastic honors at offensive tackle as a senior. Also registered 75 tackles and 5 sacks as a senior defensive lineman. Also excelled in basketball and baseball, earning Brockton Enterprise and Taunton Gazette All-Scholastic honors as a senior. Involved in community service activities at St. Basil's Church and Bridgewater State College. Son of Gayle Arrigni and Edward Colombo. Off the- field interests include playing the acoustic guitar.

2003 - Chicago:
Pro
Showed promise as a rookie tackle by working his way into the starting lineup at left tackle before mid-season, but had season ended prematurely due to a left knee injury… Originally drafted in the first round (29th overall) by Chicago in 2002.

College
Did not allow a quarterback sack in twenty games as a starter… Played both right and left tackle and took over leadership on the Eagles offensive line which lost three starters prior to his senior season… Helped pave the way for 1,000-yard rushers in each of his four seasons.

2002 - Chicago:
Pro
Selected in the 1st round (29th overall) of the 2002 draft.

College
Did not allow a quarterback sack in twenty games as a starter… Played both right and left tackle and took over leadership on the Eagles offensive line which lost three starters prior to his senior season… Helped pave the way for 1,000-yard rushers in each of his four seasons.

whackthepack
10-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Here is a profile of him when he was in the draft.

Prospect Profile

Marc Colombo
Position: Offensive Tackle
College: Boston College
Height: 6-8
Weight: 313
Hometown: Bridgewater, Mass.

Career Notes | Agility | High School | Personal | Stats

ANALYSIS
Positives: Tough, very aggressive player who was the unquestioned team leader … Has that sudden burst out of his stance needed to gain instant leverage on the defender … Shows great leg drive and hand extension, delivering a crunching hand jolt to get under the defender's pads and sustain … Drives forward with force, consistently moving the pile … Demonstrates excellent arm extension, walling off his man while keeping his feet flat and his base narrow … His quickness and leg drive allow him to engulf linebackers as he fires out to the second level … Follows through with his hand punch to insure the defender will not make the play … Shows the lateral agility and slide to be very effective leading on sweeps … Quick in his retreat, showing proper wingspan form to pick up the blitz … Works well with the guards to pick up the stunts … Has an almost "Hunter Hearst Helmsley" attitude with the way he wrestles defenders to the ground … Has the recognition skills to easily pick up the moving targets off the edge …
Negatives: There are few flaws in his game, but he could be a devastating blocker if he can add and maintain at least 25 pounds on his frame … Opens his hips a little too much when attempting to anchor … Tends to lean into defenders late in the game (stamina), staying too upright in his stance … Must increase his short area power in order to handle the larger NFL linemen … Needs to increase his lower body strength.

CAREER NOTES
Athletic offensive lineman who took over leadership on a line that lost three starters to graduation prior to 2001 … Two-year starter with the versatility and skills to play either tackle position … Did not allow a quarterback sack in twenty games as a starter.

VKG4LFE
10-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Do we really need him?? We just got that Hawaiian from San Diego. I guess if he's any good we could use him.

whackthepack
10-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Any body heard anything more about Marc Colombo, he was supposed to work out for the Vikes but I have not heard anything since than.

Vikes
10-26-2005, 04:35 PM
I gotta give Tice credit for sticking to his guns. You know the VP and owner are just fans on Sunday.

V4L
10-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Vikings | Colombo Worked out; not Signed
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:25:27 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings worked out free agent OT Marc Colombo (Bears) Tuesday, Oct. 25, but they did not sign him.

snowinapril
10-26-2005, 04:56 PM
"Vikes" wrote:

I gotta give Tice credit for sticking to his guns. You know the VP and owner are just fans on Sunday.

Things can get a little testy from here on out. Remember, Tice's job is not the only one on the line. From what I have heard, most of the office guys have contracts that are up also.

I think that Wilf hires a consultant and sees where he needs to clean house at.

No one is safe. There are a lot of fires lit under arses.

Tice needs to be more firey like this. He needs to not worry about his job and kissing arse so much. I would like an unapologetic Tice much more than the one we normally see. If he is confident, he doesn't have to apologize to anyone unless it is behind a closed door., or if he was really really wrong. In the case of the Time Out, he wasn't and it should have been Wilf and Rob Brzezinski doing the apologizing. Think about it!!!!!

cajunvike
10-26-2005, 05:02 PM
It is time for Tice to kick some azz and take names later!!! Whatever he said, he needs to bottle it and keep administering it on a weekly basis!!!

ShanePurpleBlood
10-26-2005, 05:06 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Do we really need him?? We just got that Hawaiian from San Diego. I guess if he's any good we could use him.

The San Diego guy plays guard. The bears guy plays tackle. We need all the help we can get, but I don't know if Columbo is good. My friend is a Chargers fan. He was suprised we got the San Diego guy, he said he is good.

VKG4LFE
10-26-2005, 05:39 PM
If I had been watching the game I probably would have been shouting the same thing! They may be upper management, but I have a feeling that they are fans just as much as me and you. How many of you were at home screaming take a timeout, take a timeout!! Don't lie either.

snowinapril
10-26-2005, 08:35 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

It is time for Tice to kick some silliness and take names later!!! Whatever he said, he needs to bottle it and keep administering it on a weekly basis!!!

Tru Dat!

I wish he would have tried that remedy a few years back.

VKG4LFE
10-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Yeah, how about he administers it BEFORE the game and not just at halftime! Let's put a whole game together for once!

bart
10-26-2005, 10:14 PM
I think Columbo is adequate at best right now, after he has a whole season playing I think he would be good, he needs to get the confidence in his knee.
He blew out his knee cap, which I seem to recall hearing is one of the most painful things a guy can do.

VKG4LFE
10-26-2005, 10:18 PM
I think the most painful thing a guy can do is be in bed with Lorena Bobbitt...if ya know what I mean!! OUCH!! lol

snowinapril
10-26-2005, 10:21 PM
On coachspeak, Mora was basically saying Tice's coaching is soft. He was refering to todays PC when Tice said that we have to coach harder this week. Mora thought that was weak. He said that you don't prepare harder or coach harder, it implies that there is a difference in preparation.

Anyone see Sabin handle a PC, that guy is a prick. He totally make the reporters feel like idiots. He treats them like they are mental midgets. I would have to go up and smack him one.

snowinapril
10-26-2005, 10:23 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I think the most painful thing a guy can do is be in bed with Lorena Bobbitt...if ya know what I mean!! OUCH!! lol

Could you imagine your manhood lying in a ditch somewhere, just being thrown out a car window like a piece of trash, now that is painful just to think about.

***YES, I had to edit the right quote in there.***

VKG4LFE
10-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Huh?? I think you are referring to the Lorena Bobbitt thing I was talking about but quoted the wrong post? Maybe?? lol

snowinapril
10-26-2005, 10:29 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Huh?? I think you are referring to the Lorena Bobbitt thing I was talking about but quoted the wrong post? Maybe?? lol

I edited it thanks for the head up!

VKG4LFE
10-26-2005, 10:31 PM
No problem, I was really confused there for a minute.

No I couldn't imagine my manhood being thrown out a car window into a ditch somewhere!! lol

snowinapril
10-26-2005, 10:35 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

No problem, I was really confused there for a minute.

No I couldn't imagine my manhood being thrown out a car window into a ditch somewhere!! lol

If you could imagine it, wouldn't it be called being "DETACHED from REALITY"

VKG4LFE
10-26-2005, 10:37 PM
LOL, I suppose!

Paulbedy59
10-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Get him on the cheap for some depth if nothing else. Who knows maybe he can get it together and contribute.

singersp
10-27-2005, 01:13 PM
"Paulbedy59" wrote:

Get him on the cheap for some depth if nothing else. Who knows maybe he can get it together and contribute.

:scratch: ? I think you mean't to post this on the thread about Ahman Green.

Lotza
10-27-2005, 01:19 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Marc Columbo eh? Maybe he can replace Rosey before the end of the season.. That would be sweet any ones better than rosie!