PDA

View Full Version : Is it because Daunte is so BIG?

CanadaViking
10-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Is it just me or when Culpepper did his hook slide in the 2nd quarter when he came up a yard short of the first down, didn't he take a hit to the head? Why was there no call? I mean I know the guy is a giant however if it were Favre the Viking defender would have kicked out of the game.

The game was a great success however I am getting a little tired of all the weak calls for late hits on QB's around the league and then they let a blatant shot to the head go. This is not to take anything away from the game, but had they called the penalty the Vikes would have been at around the Packers 30 with a first down.

So if anyone else was pissed about it, I would love to know what you think of the call or rather NO call!

Cheers!

Lando
10-24-2005, 03:27 PM
I was furious at that no call .. you are certainly right he got NAILED in the head when he slid feet first. Even Wiggins was freaking up at the refs, and once Tice saw the replay he was also very mad. That would have resulted in a 1st and goal and avoiding the 4th and 1 fumble IIRC.

Del Rio
10-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Just be happy your not a saints fan. They have been completely screwed over by the refs not once but twice this year. That call yesterday was horrible and gave the Rams the game.

Big C
10-24-2005, 03:52 PM
This is just a joke, but maybe that hit knocked some sense in to Culpepper for him to turn it around in 2nd half.

And, was it just me, but did you see the SPEED dante had on one of the scrambles he made in the second half?! I mean, he literally flew for the 1st down and more on a broken play. My jaw dropped as I watched and had to pinch myself. I mean, I was finally seeing the Dante from seasons before.

The most annoying comment from the comentry box (which I loved 99% of the time though - Bill Maas has my respect. Especially when he called the QB draw in the 4th quarter!) was the Packers 1st TD. Driver made an excellent one handed grab under tight covergare (and Winfield literally using him as a surfboard) and all the commentators could say was that it was a perfect pass from Favre. No. Give credit where it is due. That was a HELL of a catch by Driver.

whackthepack
10-24-2005, 03:54 PM
"CanadaViking" wrote:

Is it just me or when Culpepper did his hook slide in the 2nd quarter when he came up a yard short of the first down, didn't he take a hit to the head? Why was there no call? I mean I know the guy is a giant however if it were Favre the Viking defender would have kicked out of the game.

The game was a great success however I am getting a little tired of all the weak calls for late hits on QB's around the league and then they let a blatant shot to the head go. This is not to take anything away from the game, but had they called the penalty the Vikes would have been at around the Packers 30 with a first down.

So if anyone else was pissed about it, I would love to know what you think of the call or rather NO call!

Cheers!

Everyone I was watching the game with saw it and we were waiting for the call, and nothing! The refs in this league blow donkey d*ck!

One of the other slides he did, he did it so bad I was afraid that he hurt himself! But he got up and walked away OK.

snowinapril
10-24-2005, 03:59 PM
"Big C" wrote:

This is just a joke, but maybe that hit knocked some sense in to Culpepper for him to turn it around in 2nd half.

And, was it just me, but did you see the SPEED dante had on one of the scrambles he made in the second half?! I mean, he literally flew for the 1st down and more on a broken play. My jaw dropped as I watched and had to pinch myself. I mean, I was finally seeing the Dante from seasons before.

The most annoying comment from the comentry box (which I loved 99% of the time though - Bill Maas has my respect. Especially when he called the QB draw in the 4th quarter!) was the Packers 1st TD. Driver made an excellent one handed grab under tight covergare (and Winfield literally using him as a surfboard) and all the commentators could say was that it was a perfect pass from Favre. No. Give credit where it is due. That was a HELL of a catch by Driver.

I thought Driver pushed off but it still was a good vet move and a great catch.

ultravikingfan
10-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Blown call by the refs. Once a QB slides feet first he cannot be pounded to the face!

On the other play where Pep scrambled on the QB draw I was hoping hw would be feet first and try to draw a 15 yard penalty.

snowinapril
10-24-2005, 04:11 PM
"Lando" wrote:

I was furious at that no call .. you are certainly right he got NAILED in the head when he slid feet first. Even Wiggins was freaking up at the refs, and once Tice saw the replay he was also very mad. That would have resulted in a 1st and goal and avoiding the 4th and 1 fumble IIRC.

Yes, the only thing that I can think of is that he started his slide late and that is how the ref justified it. But still, he slid and the defender had to drop his hit lower like that and it was helmet to helmet. BS no call is all I can say. I think that the defenders mindset was he was going to gaurd the first down. He probably was expecting DC to dive for the first down. Which I wish DC would have done, field awareness would have helped there.

DC got right up though, but I hate seeing that. When QBs slide like that, they are putting themselves at such a risk. I think for the next few years, DC should never slide feet first. Just lower the shoulders like a running back and punish them.

SKOL
10-24-2005, 04:48 PM
"Lando" wrote:

That would have resulted in a 1st and goal and avoiding the 4th and 1 fumble.

Speaking of the 4th and 1 fumble, Tice was saying last night that he believes the fumble was due to the fact that the refs spotted the kicking ball for 4th and 1, instead of a normal ball. Tice said he's seen it once before this year, with Aaron Brooks, and that resulted in a fumbled snap too. The refs had it in for us, I guess :wink:

CynicalVike
10-24-2005, 04:59 PM
On that no call play, what bothered me besides the no call for the late hit, was that on the replay, it clearly showed the DB dropping his helmut to make it a helmet to helmet hit on Daunte, so regardless if the timing was OK, the technique was wrong. He was trying to drill Daunte!

As for the fumble on the snap, I don't know about the ball issue, but it sure looked to me as if there never was an exchange from the center to Daunte at all. The fumble has already been hung on Daunte, but I think Fowler has to shoulder that call.

gregair13
10-24-2005, 05:00 PM
i agree there has been some weaker calls on protection the quarterback this year. there has also been calls that were over the to. thats just the way it is.

sureban
10-24-2005, 09:11 PM
That non-call was pure Bull-Sheet!

Sincerely,
Mark.

stjmnsota
10-24-2005, 10:12 PM
I agree. Helmet to helmet if nothing else. But Daunte messed up when he slid. He blew the first down even if he didn't get hit. That close to a first down and take that beastly 260+ body and lay out the defender. We didn't pick up Daunte to be a pocket passer.

ColoradoVike
10-24-2005, 10:17 PM
"Big C" wrote:

Maas is an idiot. I could make a fortune off of correcting his English and introducing him to the facts...

VegasLadyJae
10-24-2005, 10:19 PM
"stjmnsota" wrote:

I agree. Helmet to helmet if nothing else. But Daunte messed up when he slid. He blew the first down even if he didn't get hit. That close to a first down and take that beastly 260+ body and lay out the defender. We didn't pick up Daunte to be a pocket passer.

Yes we did, one of the greatest college quarterbacks ever throwing the football. Running is just an intangible part of his game an extra asset. ( He did mess up when he slid I agree with that part )

ColoradoVike
10-24-2005, 10:19 PM
"CynicalVike" wrote:

On that no call play, what bothered me besides the no call for the late hit, was that on the replay, it clearly showed the DB dropping his helmut to make it a helmet to helmet hit on Daunte, so regardless if the timing was OK, the technique was wrong. He was trying to drill Daunte!

As for the fumble on the snap, I don't know about the ball issue, but it sure looked to me as if there never was an exchange from the center to Daunte at all. The fumble has already been hung on Daunte, but I think Fowler has to shoulder that call.

yeah, fowler had some rough snaps that game, especially when in the shotgun formation, i think at least three of them where an odd rainbow pitch and one of them messed up the timing on a pass.

ultravikingfan
10-24-2005, 10:21 PM
"stjmnsota" wrote:

But the beauty is, he can be a good pocket passer...unlike Vick.

VKG4LFE
10-24-2005, 10:44 PM
I thought that if you ever hit the QB in the head it is an automatic 15. I guess that doesn't apply when he is getting tackled while out of the pocket. I think the protection QBs get is a freakin' joke. They are football players too and they should have to take the pounding that everyone else does. Just my opinion though.

LosAngelis
10-25-2005, 03:03 AM
I kind of thought that was a bit of a late hit, but I also thought the defender was already in tackling motion when Daunte went down. In slow motion, it looked very late, but in regular motion, I don't know what the defender could have done to avoid the hit.

Hook slide is meant to protect the QB, but then you need to go down, instead of waiting until the last possible second. But, yes, I was waiting for a flag, too.

DaunteHOF
10-25-2005, 04:02 AM
Typical treatment to a viking player....

nephilimstorm
10-25-2005, 04:28 AM
i saw the play..i was calling head shot and 15 yarder...hoping but no ref called it...maybe Mt. Tag will take a look at it lol

eelpout72
10-25-2005, 04:51 AM
Had a packer fan over and even he thought it was a horrible no call.

For some reason, it made me think of the game with the packers a couple years ago or so when Walsh took a knee after making the catch so that he could make the time out. The refs did not blow the whistle and a packer player nailed him (Mckenzie i think) despite the fact that he was taking a knee and was completey defenseless. I think we lost the game in part because of that no call.

Not to say that this play was anything like that but it just gave me the same feeling.

i_bleed_purple
10-25-2005, 04:56 AM
that was a bs call, what also pissed me off was the offensive pass interferance call in the endzone where the GB corner cut off Robinson (i thinnk), but he got called for Offensive pass interferance

Ltrey33
10-25-2005, 05:03 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Just be happy your not a saints fan. They have been completely screwed over by the refs not once but twice this year. That call yesterday was horrible and gave the Rams the game.

Totally...the Saints have been taking it up the keester all year. Two horrible calls and then the "home" game in NY, what a sham.

MensaTice
10-25-2005, 05:45 AM
"ColoradoVike" wrote:

Maas is an idiot. I could make a fortune off of correcting his English and introducing him to the facts...

Maas is one of the best in the business at knowing whats going on with teams and schemes. I listened to his radio show in KC every day in college.

About the no-call, if it were favre instead of daunte it would have been fifteen yards and fifteen grand.

BigSkyvikefan
10-25-2005, 06:27 AM
"MensaTice" wrote:

"ColoradoVike" wrote:

Maas is one of the best in the business at knowing whats going on with teams and schemes. I listened to his radio show in KC every day in college.

About the no-call, if it were favre instead of daunte it would have been fifteen yards and fifteen grand."Mentally Retarded"? That isn't a very nice thing to say about Tice. He managed to rile up the Vikings through the second half of the game. Let's just rejoice in the fact we beat the Packers...........and leave it at that. Who cares what he did with his tickets.

cajunvike
10-25-2005, 07:08 AM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

"stjmnsota" wrote:

Yes we did, one of the greatest college quarterbacks ever throwing the football. Running is just an intangible part of his game an extra asset. ( He did mess up when he slid I agree with that part )

Good call...Daunte was drafted because he could do it ALL in college! And the Vikes knew that he would be a great pro PASSER, not just a runner like Vick!

cajunvike
10-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Vick's line from tonight:

Passing - 11/26 116 yards 0 TDs 3 INTs
Rushing - 9 18 yards 2.0 YPC 2 TDs

Come to think of it, his rushing yardage wasn't even that great either tonight...the Falcons fans can thank God that the Jets sucked as bad as they did tonight.