PDA

View Full Version : Does this win mean more than a "W"????



akvikefan89
10-24-2005, 09:26 AM
I mean, think a minute:


1. I think it creates momentum and builds the teams attitude.

2. Does this help out Zygi at all with trying to get the stadium deal back on track?

3. Tice might have found out what gets these guys motivated.

4. The defense played alot better in the second half, maybe they fixed some issues there?


After the "love boat" Zygi needed all the help he can get trying to get stadium stuff underway again, did this boost Minnesota's confidence enough to get the fans contributed to a new stadium again?

whiteviking24
10-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Yea for the most part.
I saw footage of the locker room after the game and happened to notice Wilf standing towards the back of the room with a huge freakin grin on his face.

Tice is going on about how good it feels to win and trying to get the players pumped up again.

NB was saying at half Tice had a stern voice with them and talking as if he was one of the players and it clicked

1.definetly

2.I sure hope so...also hopefully the win will take attention off the love boat

3.yea I think so....players say yes

4.Sure looked like it to me

SKOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

audioghost
10-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Yes, and if you look at the stats as of now....the Vikes play only 3 defenses that are ranked better than GB for the rest of season:

Baltimore-Who has no offense
Chicago-Who has no offense (we should get em next time)
Steelers-Who are awesome....

So yeah...we got a good shot a winning a majority of tha next games

Paulbedy59
10-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Agreed,I think this win can be a springboard to better things.Every game the D gells better, and I believe will continue to improve.And if we can get Pep some protection and time,along with still getting use to all the new recievers. 10-6 is not out of the Question.However on the other side.We play an away outdoor game next week.You ALL know what that means.But! If we win the game next week,We all gould start being pretty happy again around here.

Lando
10-24-2005, 04:24 PM
I think the team (and fans) actually has some hope now, and something to build on.

Del Rio
10-24-2005, 04:27 PM
I still stand by my thoughts that our team realized two weeks ago that nothing would come easy for them.

I think this game is just another step in the right direction. It wasn't a lopsided victory so hopefully the guys don't get over confident. A win next week would go a long way. Stringing wins together is much more indicative of where we stand as a football team and actually how much progress we have made.

DCPologirl
10-24-2005, 04:59 PM
"Paulbedy59" wrote:

Agreed,I think this win can be a springboard to better things.Every game the D gells better, and I believe will continue to improve.And if we can get Pep some protection and time,along with still getting use to all the new recievers. 10-6 is not out of the Question.However on the other side.We play an away outdoor game next week.You ALL know what that means.But! If we win the game next week,We all gould start being pretty happy again around here.


Does anyone know when Fonoti will be able to play?

whackthepack
10-24-2005, 04:59 PM
This next game is on the ROAD against Carolina and if we can play like we did in the second half maybe they can turn things around.

This was a fun victory because it was against the Pukes, but we have to play better on the road!

RK.
10-24-2005, 07:25 PM
I think this was a huge win for the fans. :smile: We needed it. In reality we managed to pull out a last minute victory against one of the worst teams in the NFL. :???: As pointed out above, we have to learn how to win on the road. It is nice to be smiling on Monday morning however. :smile:

VKG4LFE
10-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Yeah it means we have a kicker!!! Woo HOO!!

Purplefeet
10-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Huge win no matter what. I think the Vikings learned as well. The line is going to be a work in progress all season and running a spread offense and chipping away was perfect. Moore also showed himself to be a very good back and won the position I think. Would have been nice to see more I-formation with fullback because running game did well with fullback. Can also split out of I into pro set for more pass protection. If Culpepper is a bit more patient in spreaad he can gash teams for 10 to 15 yard gains on runs rather than 3 to 5 like Sunday.

Nice win for whole teams but I think Culpepper learned alot and even though I'm sure this is Tice's last season it was nice to see some of the pressure off him. I think DC is also learning he is not the All Pro he was with this team and is changing his expectations of himself which is a must. Vikings are not, at this time, a vertical passing team and seeing the 2nd half adjustments was nice.

Big win and nice to beat Farve one last time :).

snowinapril
10-24-2005, 08:00 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I still stand by my thoughts that our team realized two weeks ago that nothing would come easy for them.

I think this game is just another step in the right direction. It wasn't a lopsided victory so hopefully the guys don't get over confident. A win next week would go a long way. Stringing wins together is much more indicative of where we stand as a football team and actually how much progress we have made.

We have to win next week. I wouldn't put the reason on the outdoor factor but on the fact that we need 2 wins in a row. Keeps it from feeling like a fluke win this week when you can get the second in a row.

snowinapril
10-24-2005, 08:06 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:


Does anyone know when Fonoti will be able to play?

Not being an ass about this, just seems like it is a lot easier than putting faith in this guy to lose weight fast enough to get in game shape. He hasn't proven to anyone that he can lose weight quickly, the guy was 400 and lost 6 pounds last week. That 6 pounds could just be fluids for all we know.

So just plan on never and if he makes it back we will all be pleased as punch.

I think Tice said 3-4 weeks would be a good guess, but we can't supply this guy with motivation. He has to want to play.

Ltrey33
10-24-2005, 08:14 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

I still stand by my thoughts that our team realized two weeks ago that nothing would come easy for them.

I think this game is just another step in the right direction. It wasn't a lopsided victory so hopefully the guys don't get over confident. A win next week would go a long way. Stringing wins together is much more indicative of where we stand as a football team and actually how much progress we have made.

We have to win next week. I wouldn't put the reason on the outdoor factor but on the fact that we need 2 wins in a row. Keeps it from feeling like a fluke win this week when you can get the second in a row.

Winning this week is HUGE. If we beat the Panthers this week, it shows that we can contend. Carolina is easily one of the best in the NFC, so if we beat them it does a lot for our record and our confidence. That would put us at 3-4, with a big division game coming up agains the Lions the very next week. I think if we win this week we roll to 10-6. If we lose then we're in a heap of trouble at 2-5, and we take very little or no confidence into the Detroit game.

UkViking
10-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Good onya Vikings,this win will lift moral and instill some belief in the players.Especially pleased to see Memo get some yardage and Pepp throw for 280 yds. :wink: :smile:

Bubba_ND
10-24-2005, 09:24 PM
I heard Fonti has to drop 20 lbs before he can play

Vikes
10-24-2005, 09:32 PM
I think this game was our season. If we lost the team would never have recovered this season. We now have the fire back in our guts.

Also did anyone see Tice and Teddy go at it. I was PROUD of Tice getting on Teddy about SHUTTING DOWN Driver. Driver was having a DAY of all DAY's yesterday.

mnvikes61
10-24-2005, 09:35 PM
yah i saw that. that was pretty cool, Tice looked absolutely furious on the sideline. i think the team was feeding off his emotions.

Paulbedy59
10-25-2005, 12:23 PM
I don,t have alot of faith in cottrell right now,I was hoping Tice would treat him a la parsells... a good right hand lol.

DeathtoDenny
10-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Carolina isn't really that good this year, they seem to play at their opponents level. Daunte is going to have to rip it up.

singersp
10-25-2005, 01:59 PM
I feel that just as important as the win, the Vikes realized that they can come from way behind & win a game.

They were down 17-0 & didn't give up. They scored 20 unanswered points to take the lead. None of those scores came easily as the result of a turn-over or great field position.

They played with great determination.

Lotza
10-25-2005, 02:01 PM
all i can say is.... BRAD JOHNSON SAVED OUR SEASON

singersp
10-25-2005, 02:40 PM
"Lotzapurple119" wrote:

all i can say is.... BRAD JOHNSON SAVED OUR SEASON

I think Edinger had quite a role in that as well! :grin:

NordicNed
10-25-2005, 04:23 PM
I am a firm believer that winning is contagous,

Having won the GB game, we should go into Carolina with our heads held high.

This is another great chance to build up our team momentume.

A road game on grass, we really need to learn how to win these games, lets hope it starts this week...

If we can get a Win here, I think our season will continue to only get better....

Del Rio
10-25-2005, 04:36 PM
I agree Ned,

It's like I said last week I have seen improvement in play over the last few weeks. Even though we lost those games I noticed some very great things going on. I think they took those and built off them and managed to get a little better.

If they continue to take the good and build off of it they will continue to get better and better. A lot of teams would have collapsed, we seem to still be working for our goals. I respect that.

There is a saying in life, that I have heard a lot in regards to football.

"What have you done for me lately?"

You leave your baggage at the door and go a week at a time.

PurplePeopleEaters
10-25-2005, 04:39 PM
I agree Ned and Del. The one thing I can't get over is how much Del was hating on Pat during the offseason. It feels like he is carrying our defense. I like trying to build off of confidence. That must have been one happy locker room in Minnesota.

Del Rio
10-25-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm still not a big fan of Pat Williams.

He is still amazing me every week with how fast the guy is. He really surprised me in how good of shape he is.

I always said in my contstand pissing and moaning over him being here that I would have to wait and see what he does on the field.

A big part of me hating was I like Scott, I feel he is more versitile a defender. Pat Williams still doesn't get enough pressure on the QB and that was my main concern. The run was not a concern to me, because the improved LB core would shoulder the burden IMO. I wanted a lineman that could do it all like Scott.

When in a 3-4 Pat really does some good things. The 4-3...I'm not so sure.
The Jury is still out for me on him.

I will say this I underestimated and over exagerated what I said about the guy. He has heart and he is in way better shape then I anticipated. If Kevin Williams would pull his head out of his ass then I think you would see even better play from Pat Williams.

VKG4LFE
10-25-2005, 07:40 PM
I think Pat has played pretty darn well for us, and you're right del he is fast and is in pretty good shape for a ginormous man! I'm happy with him and his signing, I'm kind of bummed about Kdubs performace this year, but just wait he'll get his act together!!

snowinapril
10-25-2005, 08:28 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:


I will say this I underestimated and over exagerated what I said about the guy. He has heart and he is in way better shape then I anticipated. If Kevin Williams would pull his head out of his jiggly butt then I think you would see even better play from Pat Williams.

I am starting to believe he is one of the biggest disappointment on this team this year. Mainly because we had such high expectations for him. He should be better with Pat next to him. We seem to be covering the play of Udeze with backups and the 3-4. It is K-Will that should be getting more pressure on the QB.

He has one sack on the season.
We have nine as a team.
Maybe it is the D-scheme???? Or Both K-Will and Scheme?

VKG4LFE
10-25-2005, 10:19 PM
We only have 9 sacks on the season, wow that is pretty pathetic considering Urlacher has 6 himself (I think). Oh well, hopefully we'll start getting more and more as our D starts to play better (hopefully they start to play better!!).

akvikefan89
10-25-2005, 10:25 PM
A-Dub better pester "He Hate Me" the whole game.

akvikefan89
10-25-2005, 10:28 PM
You know what is a scary thought? It will be Mike Rosenthal against Julius Peppers.... :pale:

Del Rio
10-25-2005, 10:33 PM
I've been watching him (kevin williams) pretty close when I go over the line play.

He is not getting off the ball fast enough. He is also lining up incorectly on a lot of base formations. That happens all the time in football and in all honesty it's the LB's job to tap you on the side and say hey get over!! Get Over!!!

You see it all the time in football. You might not recognize it or pay attention but the LB's correct the line in positioning, this is partially because they have better view of what is going on with the backs and the TE's.

I think he is actually suffering from a lack of Claiborne. Not a big fan of Chris, didn't cry when we let him go, but he was very good at making IN GAME corrections.

You might think a 300+ plus giant of a man being a half a gap off is no big deal but all you need is to turn his shoulder and he becomes a 150 pound guy (sideways :grin: ) I think he is not in it mentally. His moves are fine, they are well placed and powerful, but his timing is off. He just needs to find that.

VikingFanEric
10-25-2005, 11:17 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I've been watching him (kevin williams) pretty close when I go over the line play.

He is not getting off the ball fast enough. He is also lining up incorectly on a lot of base formations. That happens all the time in football and in all honesty it's the LB's job to tap you on the side and say hey get over!! Get Over!!!

You see it all the time in football. You might not recognize it or pay attention but the LB's correct the line in positioning, this is partially because they have better view of what is going on with the backs and the TE's.

I think he is actually suffering from a lack of Claiborne. Not a big fan of Chris, didn't cry when we let him go, but he was very good at making IN GAME corrections.

You might think a 300+ plus giant of a man being a half a gap off is no big deal but all you need is to turn his shoulder and he becomes a 150 pound guy (sideways :grin: ) I think he is not in it mentally. His moves are fine, they are well placed and powerful, but his timing is off. He just needs to find that.

I have been paying close attention to KWill also and you raise some good points.

I have seen him get off on the snaps fast in games, part of his problem is he is constantly being held and its not being called much. That's part of the game though and if he keeps working hard he will get through it or it will start being called. Twice in the GB game KWill was dragged down and held. He has been late at gettin off on snaps like you have noted.

I also think the 3-4 D the last two weeks has made it harder for sacks as its a D that stresses LB play a little more. One thing KWill has continued to do very well is get his hands up if he isn't going to get to the QB to knock down the pass.

What you say about Claiborne is dead on. That was a great observation and is true. I think thats the only thing Cowart hasn't done enough of is position guys. He has been tremendous at LB so far so its hard to complain, but that would be the one thing.

I think KWill will get a sack this week. He has been getting better lately.

Del Rio
10-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Yeah I have seen him being held a lot as well. I will also say that there is holding on every single snap of the ball somewhere on the line. If they called it or could see it then the game would last 12 hours.

He has been held his entire carreer, he should be able to get out of it. While I don't see it as an excuse for his poor play I wouldn't be surprised if it is adding to his frustration.

Being forced into 3-4, getting held, and being a half a step away from where he should be is probably wearing on him. Not to mention his court dates and off the field issues.

I agree he will get a sack this week. I have been looking at him closely the last three weeks and if Cowart can correct him or if he can line up better earlier in the game then he should have a sack, he is still getting 3 yards deep almost every play.

cajunvike
10-25-2005, 11:35 PM
"singersp" wrote:

I feel that just as important as the win, the Vikes realized that they can come from way behind & win a game.

They were down 17-0 & didn't give up. They scored 20 unanswered points to take the lead. None of those scores came easily as the result of a turn-over or great field position.

They played with great determination.

Dead on, singer! They proved to themselves that they can come from behind and win...for the rest of the season, they can look to this and realize that they are not out of it and that they don't have to hit the panic button when the other team takes an early lead!

Mr. Purple
10-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Man this win does give our players that "step" back. if we can win on the road in carolina it will swing huge momentum in our direction.For the past 2 weeks we've been saying this game is biggest ( bears), and then this game is the hugest! ( packers) I think that the carolina game is just as big if not bigger. A: we struggle on the road, so a win would really help this team alot. and B I'm positive not one "expert" thinks this team can win, and if we do we might have some of those same people who crucifie us realize that this team is better then thier record.

Heres to a Road win this sunday!**raises glass**


SKOL!

VKG4LFE
10-25-2005, 11:44 PM
What we need is the Lions to beat the bears this weekend. We beat Carolina and then in two weeks we beat the lions. That will all equal at least a tie for first!!! Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!

RK.
10-26-2005, 02:30 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

What we need is the Lions to beat the bears this weekend. We beat Carolina and then in two weeks we beat the lions. That will all equal at least a tie for first!!! Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!
I don't think the Lions can beat the Bears defense. :sad: It would be nice but don't bet on it. :wink:

VKG4LFE
10-26-2005, 02:48 AM
I'm not betting on anything, it's all just wishful thinking!!

singersp
10-26-2005, 03:43 AM
Ah! And let's not forget Lance Johnstone! He's still a great defensive player.

VKG4LFE
10-26-2005, 03:48 AM
Yeah, I like Johnstone. He was a great pickup from Oakland a few years ago. Granted he's not the greatest in run support, but he does a heckuva job on pass rush!