PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper to Hand Out Fines

alberta_vike
10-24-2005, 02:35 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5017814

Culpepper is planning on giving out fines to teammates for mental mistakes. Doesn't seem like a bad idea, but so far I think Daunte would have contributed the most.

mrswebby
10-24-2005, 02:51 AM
Interesting. Maybe we'll finally start seeing some accountability... Too bad it's all just on the field errors. They should start with a couple of thousand each for those who took place in the boating incident. It sure caused enough distractions over the past couple of weeks. Who knows how they would have played last week if it hadn't happened. Could go a ways towards maybe getting back some respect, showing some type of decency.

singersp
10-24-2005, 03:39 AM
Not a bad idea if everyone is in agreement & Dante is not exempt.

What to do with the fine money? Can anyone say Stadium Fund!

And as to this paragraph at the bottom of the article;

a couple of players have been getting attorneys ready in order to file lawsuits for having their names mentioned in doing inappropriate things when they in fact were completely in the clear. At least one player's name, a very religious person, was on the list printed in the paper, yet he was not present on either boat.

Payback's a bitch! Give 'em hell boys!

ultravikingfan
10-24-2005, 03:42 AM
They could buy PP.O bumper stickers! :razz:

FuadFan
10-24-2005, 04:14 AM
It said in the article that they will donate the money to charity and Darren Sharper will do a similar fine on the defensive players mistakes.

GreenBaySlackers
10-24-2005, 04:16 AM
That is a patriot-esque idea!
That is the kind of attitude we need!

Now im gonna go Gary Busse(?) on yo azzez...

A-all
T-together
T-teams
I-instigate
T-terific
U-gUidelines
D-demanding
E-excellence

gregair13
10-24-2005, 04:18 AM
i agree. great idea. you make mistakes, if should cost your wallet, not just your team.

collegeguyjeff
10-24-2005, 06:18 AM
heck yeah i think they should get fined, they can do good all week during practice practicing over and over then screw up over and over in the game there is no excuse.

whackthepack
10-24-2005, 05:26 PM
They said the money would go to a charity, but this could a way to get money for the next love boat cruise!

I do not see how the players union would let players start fining other players? I do not think this will happen!

Del Rio
10-24-2005, 05:33 PM
That's a very bad idea IMO.That's really not his position to do so and if I was a player I think I would be liable to say F off when he came to collect.

He needs to lead by example and leave everything he has on the field. He doesn't need to be trying to decide who made what mistake.

I doubt he will be able to maintain it. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just a front for the media so it appears even drastic measures are being taken to straighten the team up.

C-PepNSalt
10-24-2005, 05:35 PM
It depends on how much he is asking for from the players, if it's just chump change (hundreds of bucks) or a little more of a bite in the pocket book (thousands)
If it was just for hundreds, might not be a terrible idea, especially if it just goes to charity!

Del Rio
10-24-2005, 05:41 PM
This is why it is a stupid idea. Lets say I'm a millionaire lineman....and I go offsides. My QB tries to fine me 100$ K great who gives a shit.

Now does that keep me from doing it again? Not a chance. I guarantee the players are not lining up thinking ok I need to do a good job or I'm going to get fined.

It's poor inspiration and it wouldn't do anything for the team. If he wants to donate to charity he should have a donation plate going all year. This wont clean up any mistakes at all. This is a better idea.

http://www.jwz.org/images/hamster.jpg

FuadFan
10-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't know the offensive line did not make as many mistakes as they have the past few weeks.

Jviking
10-24-2005, 06:04 PM
I think Del's point is true. I don't think anyone is going to worry about a little fine for a mistake. I sure don't think it should be Culpepper collecting the fines...Hey maybe the rookies would be affected by this, doubt it.

RK.
10-24-2005, 06:11 PM
I think it is a stupid idea as well. First off CP has a hell of a nerve thinking he should be fining people considering his turn over record this year. Second if Pep wants to be a team leader I don't think being the error cop helps move him in that direction. If they want to do something like that they should make it a policy that every player assess his performance after a game and have them levy fines on themselves for mental mistakes. I think that would be much more effective. :wink:

VKG4LFE
10-24-2005, 06:35 PM
I think the money should go to me!!

whackthepack
10-24-2005, 06:41 PM
One person I would fine was K-Will, for the play were he lined up in the neutral zone on 3rd down. We stopped Green Bay, but they got a first down because of it. Can't he see the ball, does he need glasses?

Del Rio
10-24-2005, 06:48 PM
If there has been one dissapointment on the team this year so far I would say it is K-Will. I think his play has been more of a bummer then even our QB's.

Ltrey33
10-24-2005, 07:10 PM
It's kind of a strange thing....but not an entirely bad idea. At least it keeps people accountable. I just hope it doesn't lead to more problems, like someone refusing to pay out when CPep comes around to collect. We'll see I guess. I know Salisbury on ESPN said it was a bad idea, but then again what did he ever know about being a good quarterback?

Purplefeet
10-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Fines are coaching staff job. DC need to worry about him and stay focused on what he needs to do.

RandyMoss8404
10-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Culpepper should fine himself.

VKG4LFE
10-24-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm ok with the "fine people" idea but only if everyone is agreeable to it.

Big C
10-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Rosenthal is going to be broke by the end of the season...

Burley81
10-24-2005, 09:05 PM
I recommend physical repercussions like making them box Lance Johnstone or having Pat Williams body slam them. That would definitely keep me in line. :lol:

stjmnsota
10-24-2005, 09:28 PM
I agree that the fine thing is a bad idea. What the NFL should do is like any other job. Base salary depending on experience, past performance etc. This number can be relatively low.

Then pay bonuses on performance. YOu are a lineman, you will get a bonus per game based on these criteria. blocks, fumble recoveries, etc. Missed blocks or assignments may deduct back out of the bonus.

Of course this wouldn't work either because there would be whiners that would fight for even more balls to be thrown their way or complain for more carries etc. Or I made that tackle by myself or linebackers will leave their assignments to try to get more tackles.

I guess nothing is a good idea. Maybe we need to work on these guys to love to play the game with heart and soul. And play selflessly (spelling).

Although I have heard of players on a particularly good team taking pay cuts to keep the team together. Then they go on to win back to back championships.

ColoradoVike
10-24-2005, 10:13 PM
more carrots, fewer sticks.

assigning and collecting fines is no way to build a team mentality.

And yes, K-will stinks so far this year.

ultravikingfan
10-24-2005, 10:20 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

He would have issued IOU's after the 2nd game! :razz:

singersp
10-25-2005, 01:58 AM
The more I think about it, the impression I get is that Dante's "fine system" has been agreed upon by the offense as a team & not something he's going to just start going on his own.

If it were anything else we'd have heard of players complaining about it.

I think it's more like a $.25 "cuss" jar that some parents implement in their homes. A couple of hundred bucks is chump change for the players, but it will make them more cautious & aware of their "mental" game on the field.

C-PepNSalt
10-25-2005, 02:10 AM
I wish wish wish that NFL would just NOT allow players to get guaranteed salaries, they should be based off performances!!!
It'll never happen, but it sounds good...a guy that makes 4 million a year but didn't do anything, should then only make 900,000....

Del Rio
10-25-2005, 01:47 PM
"singersp" wrote:

The more I think about it, the impression I get is that Dante's "fine system" has been agreed upon by the offense as a team & not something he's going to just start going on his own.

If it were anything else we'd have heard of players complaining about it.

I think it's more like a $.25 "cuss" jar that some parents implement in their homes. A couple of hundred bucks is chump change for the players, but it will make them more cautious & aware of their "mental" game on the field.

That's where I think this becomes pointless. I have very little faith that the idea of losing 100$ is actually going to stop them from making mistakes. If helping your team win isn't inspiration enough then send the guy packing.

The motivation to do good should come from a drive for excellence for yourself and your team, or fear of harrassment from a coach, fear of letting down your team, coach.

I would be very surprised if this action detered anything.

tarkenton10
10-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Del - Good point; this could only lead to dissention. What happens when the player says that the penalty was a BS call and I shouldn't have to pay for it. What happens when DC blames his fumble on his O-Line because he was blindsided, this could get ugly and fast. We have enough problems without another person in the chain of command. I think Del is right, DC needs to lead by example on the field and off (like staying away from a boat full of hookers). That is all he should do and if that isn't enough than it isn't his fault and the bad apples will be picked from the bussell in the offseason.

singersp
10-26-2005, 02:39 AM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

DC needs to lead by example on the field and off (like staying away from a boat full of hookers). That is all he should do and if that isn't enough than it isn't his fault and the bad apples will be picked from the bussell in the offseason.

I wouldn't be so sure to be sticking his name as being on one of the boats just yet.

It's already been published that one or more of the players mentioned, one in particular that is very religious, was nowhere near those boats.

Pep is supposedley very religious and has already said "I can't wait to talk about it".

Sounded like some of those players have already gotten lawyers, not to defend them but to sue for slander.

VKG4LFE
10-26-2005, 02:42 AM
I'm all for the fines as long as everyone agrees to them and they cause NO problems.

BigSkyvikefan
10-26-2005, 06:01 AM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Yo! Randy! We MISS you! COME BACK!!!

As for Daunte, I don't think he should fine himself or anyone else. He was just playing with ideas to get the team fired up. Whatever works. That half time talk apparently did it against the Pack. Look out Panthers!

So Randy..............Miss us??????

:smile:

mrswebby
10-26-2005, 07:13 AM
I think people are taking this too seriously and missing the point. I agree with the analogy of the "cuss jar". Basically, it's the same idea- not so much the dollar amount that counts, but the principal, which will hopefully instill some accountability. I didn't get the impression that Daunte feels this is beyond him- also, great idea to put it towards a new stadium. (Would be interesting to see how much it actually came to after a season?) I don't know- they're human and make mistakes- but to get paid like they do and then play like they did in Chicago... ouch! I'm sure there's not a person reading this who isn't held accountable for their job performance and paid accordingly.

mrswebby
10-26-2005, 07:15 AM
I think people are taking this too seriously and missing the point. I agree with the analogy of the "cuss jar". Basically, it's the same idea- not so much the dollar amount that counts, but the principal, which will hopefully instill some accountability. I didn't get the impression that Daunte feels this is above him- also, great idea to put it towards a new stadium. (Would be interesting to see how much it actually came to after a season?) I don't know- they're human and make mistakes- but to get paid like they do and then play like they did in Chicago... ouch! All I'm saying is I'd bet there's not a person reading this who isn't held accountable for their job performance and paid accordingly... why should they be any different?

Articnv
10-26-2005, 07:51 AM
I do thiunk its supose to make them so much as accountabel but more of aware so they now what to work on.

singersp
10-26-2005, 01:03 PM
"mrswebby" wrote:

I think people are taking this too seriously and missing the point. I agree with the analogy of the "cuss jar". Basically, it's the same idea- not so much the dollar amount that counts, but the principal, which will hopefully instill some accountability. I didn't get the impression that Daunte feels this is above him- also, great idea to put it towards a new stadium. (Would be interesting to see how much it actually came to after a season?) I don't know- they're human and make mistakes- but to get paid like they do and then play like they did in Chicago... ouch! All I'm saying is I'd bet there's not a person reading this who isn't held accountable for their job performance and paid accordingly... why should they be any different?

Thanx Mrs. Webby. Essentialy that's what I was trying to say. Couldn't quite find the correct verbage to drive my point across.

It's just a way the offense, as a team, came up with a way to help them correct some mental mistakes they've been making & getting flagged for it.

They just made Dante the one who hands out the fines for offensive penalties/mistakes.

Of course the media in their twisted ways of reporting a story, make it sound like Pep's judge jury & executioner.

spdolphs
10-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Sounds to me like a team building exercise. Just like getting a gold star on your paper in school, or having the teacher use a red sharpie to point out your mistakes.

Maybe they should just wear signs on their jerseys the following week that say "I f***ed up last week"

Amazing that Daunte came up with the idea AFTER he got his act together. :lol:

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/MPD10810232025.jpg

singersp
10-26-2005, 01:23 PM
"spdolphs" wrote:

Sounds to me like a team building exercise. Just like getting a gold star on your paper in school, or having the teacher use a red sharpie to point out your mistakes.

Maybe they should just wear signs on their jerseys the following week that say "I f***ed up last week"

Amazing that Daunte came up with the idea AFTER he got his act together. :lol:

It doesn't state when the idea was hatched. It could have been thought up before Sunday's game & just not reported until now.

tarkenton10
10-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Singerz - I didn't say he was there and I don't have any idea whether he was there or not. I was just being funny and giving an example of things he mightnot want to do as a leader. The love boat was just an example for anyone who knows football can associate with. I have said that I will not rip on anyone until the facts are out.

VKG4LFE
10-26-2005, 03:28 PM
I have an idea, the fines can go to pay off my vikings visa credit card!!

RK.
10-26-2005, 07:14 PM
"CulpepernSalt" wrote:

I wish wish wish that NFL would just NOT allow players to get guaranteed salaries, they should be based off performances!!!
It'll never happen, but it sounds good...a guy that makes 4 million a year but didn't do anything, should then only make 900,000....
What happens when a player gets injured? Thats why they have the guaranteed salary. If you are a wide receiver are you going to really go after that ball over the middle if it means a possible injury and loss of two or three million dollars for the season? I think not. :wink:

Also maybe we should have a cuss jar here at PPO for double posting. :lol: :lol: j/k MrsWebby :lol:

singersp
10-26-2005, 07:32 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

Singerz - I didn't say he was there and I don't have any idea whether he was there or not. I was just being funny and giving an example of things he mightnot want to do as a leader. The love boat was just an example for anyone who knows football can associate with. I have said that I will not rip on anyone until the facts are out.

I realized that, I just wanted to clear the air on it.

SamDawg84
10-26-2005, 07:42 PM
can he fine coaches? lol.... he would raise over $1 million that way from them lol